Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Shattered Dreams

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

Liam may seem like a douchewad but imagine how many times he has been down a rocky road with his delusional mom's relationships. He's just over it now. I do think he should have stayed home, though, since he clearly resents being there.

I agree on both counts.  Liam IS being a douche, and he should have just stayed home rather than show up and NOT attend (wasn't that the point of going to Tunisia?) but he has seen his mom be with man after man after MAN and now he has flown 24 hours to witness her do it again with a man about, what.....8 years older than him?  

• Love 14

Man, Ronald is one small occurrence  away from exploding rage.  It’s barely contained. Is South Africa as bad as this show makes it seem?  Code words for kids to hide from attackers and barbed wire fences and no holding your phone in your damn car and birthing on bloody hospital floors? I’ve not been there, but it makes me sad if it isn’t as dangerous and poor as it’s being portrayed.

Larissa must have named Pierree.

The whole Jenny and SumMeat thing.  Is it incredibly fake or what? Not buying it.  I do love her badass skeptical daughter in law though. 

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Hannah94 said:

Baby Pierre is so cute! Paul seemed almost normal in this episode. 

Last note.....guys, I think I fell in love with Jenny's daughter in law's epic facial expressions today. 

He almost did seem normal.... we know that won't last. 

Yes, the DIL is pretty awesome to watch! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Chippings said:

Not the most compelling story of this episode, but I wondered as I was watching Tiffany and Ronald -- does no one on this show ever carry a conversation to its logical conclusion?  In this case ..  they seem to have decided they'd rather have the baby born at a private hospital. Ronald:  "I'll see that there is enough money." Tiffany:  (Silence.  Scowls.)   Wouldn't the next thing be to say "How do you propose to do that?  What is your plan?  Can you afford it with what you make at the rehab centre?  Can you make some extra money delivering packages for Amazon?  Be specific."

Just a scowl and silence.   Off the top of my head I also remember Jihoon saying "Don't worry .."  And Deaven just looked vague..   Jenny could have asked Sumit a few more questions too.  The Tiffany / Ronald caught my attention this time.

This is starting to sound like TEEN MOM. All these young women running around, pretending to struggle financially, when they were really drawing in big bucks from MTV. It got so hard for them to ignore it like the elephant in the room it was, that they finally just started writing the money in. Likewise, I think one of the reasons why some of these cast members act like money isn't a huge deal is because they're expecting to make money from the show. While Sharp doesn't pay more than $1500-2000 per episode, a lot of the cast members have been able to draw on their "celebrity" to supplement their income: social media adverts and testimonials, appearance fees, merchandise sold to fans, GFMs, etc. Some start "businesses" and use their "celebrity" to market it. Some even have random fans just sending them cash to "help" for whatever drama they're going through. Even some of the lesser known couples on this show have been able to pull in a decent chunk of change. It has no longevity and it's not anything they can live on, but if they hit the ground running and take advantage of what little celebrity they have right now it can offer a good chunk of change while it lasts. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Chippings said:

Not the most compelling story of this episode, but I wondered as I was watching Tiffany and Ronald -- does no one on this show ever carry a conversation to its logical conclusion?  In this case ..  they seem to have decided they'd rather have the baby born at a private hospital. Ronald:  "I'll see that there is enough money." Tiffany:  (Silence.  Scowls.)   Wouldn't the next thing be to say "How do you propose to do that?  What is your plan?  Can you afford it with what you make at the rehab centre?  Can you make some extra money delivering packages for Amazon?  Be specific."

Just a scowl and silence.   Off the top of my head I also remember Jihoon saying "Don't worry .."  And Deaven just looked vague..   Jenny could have asked Sumit a few more questions too.  The Tiffany / Ronald caught my attention this time.

I'm thinking that what can't be said is the fact that all these yahoos are counting on the TLC paycheck. 

The Jenny/Summit story kind of made all the others pale in comparison (although the possibility of giving birth on the floor of the hospital came pretty close) but I am so absolutely sick of Jenny's whining.  Girl, there is no question what you are going to do - go back to America, you idiot, and get on with what life you are able to scrape together with your family!  This delusional man had you give up everything to come live in sin with him and thought he was going to hide you from his wife and the rest of his family, all the while lying about it.  This woman is almost too stupid to live.  In fact, I'm having a hard time figuring out how she made it this long. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 19
10 hours ago, Iamthatmom said:

This is pretty much what I keep going back to...I don’t think she is bright enough to pull off this kind of sham. She seems very simple to me.

Unfortunately, while I agree she seems  not to be the brightest bulb, I think that is why she thinks she and Sumit can play us.   My parents had friends who had a daughter who is a Jenny-type, and she married another not-so-bright person and they have tried several scams, but always get burned because they are too dumb to realize that they aren't smarter than everyone else--including the cops.   They cause their families lots of worry and anguish.

7 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

If Sumit’s been married for two years, then this really puts a new spin on the scene where he told his friends about his plan to marry “that Jenny?!” - was the entire conversation scripted?

I wondered about that, too, but I finally decided there was a lot of conversation we didn't hear so I think it is the sneaky editing.  I did find it interesting that they went out later with Jenny and Sumit.  Are they really his friends?   or actors?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, spacenutty said:

Am I the only one who would be calling the US embassy to get someone in India who could help me right away with Indian laws & law enforcement before calling TV producers? Yeah, I’m not buying Jenny’s story.

Jenny seems to be the kind of person who expects others to take care of her. I can actually buy her calling the producers first because I could see her wringing her hands and moaning, "Oh what a blow I have been dealt, I hope the people I know can fix this for me..." But yeah, normal healthy people would be calling the embassy, not the cameramen. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
13 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

I'm thinking that what can't be said is the fact that all these yahoos are counting on the TLC paycheck. 

The Jenny/Summit story kind of made all the others pale in comparison (although the possibility of giving birth on the floor of the hospital came pretty close) but I am so absolutely sick of Jenny's whining.  Girl, there is no question what you are going to do - go back to America, you idiot, and get on with what life you are able to scrape together with your family!  This delusional man had you give up everything to come live in sin with him and thought he was going to hide you from his wife and the rest of his family, all the while lying about it.  This woman is almost too stupid to live.  In fact, I'm having a hard time figuring out how she made it this long. 

OMG. This! So much this! Each time she whined, "I don't know what to do! I don't know what I'm going to do!" I shouted at the TV, "Pack your shit and go the fuck back home, you fool!" 

She does have some nice Indian garb, though. I really liked that red/black combo she wore to call her daughter.

Props to the poster who said Tiffany is a broken record. She gets on my nerves.

And Liam? Go back home. I get he's fed up with her delusions of romance, but you came, so be polite or fuck off. Hopefully Aladin will let Laura off gently when he dumps her in the states.

Karine is looking much better now that she has had the baby. Paul's mother's observation about all of the feral cats and dogs roaming around foraging for food was funny. And she greeted Karine very, very warmly, which was nice to see given some of the other mums we've met.

Sorry for what's his name's loss, but I don't care for him or the bitch waiting for him in Ecuador.

Missed Jihoon tonight!

• Love 21
21 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Jenny seems to be the kind of person who expects others to take care of her. I can actually buy her calling the producers first because I could see her wringing her hands and moaning, "Oh what a blow I have been dealt, I hope the people I know can fix this for me..." But yeah, normal healthy people would be calling the embassy, not the cameramen. 

If this is staged, a fraud, Jenny is well advised not to get the US embassy involved.

• Useful 6
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Gobi said:

If this is staged, a fraud, Jenny is well advised not to get the US embassy involved.

That's true, too. 

None of this is making sense to me, no matter how we look at it. Jennmit doesn't look like a mastermind of fraud, but I've been surprised before. People never cease to shock the hell out of me. I think some of what's going on is real, but just as much of it is fake. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't catfish TLC to an extent. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, politichick said:

Missed Jihoon tonight!

While waiting for the new episode to start, I had the "More To Love" episode playing just before.  I don't usually watch but this might have convinced me to do so in the future.  They showed bonus footage of Jihoon teaching Deavan how to say "sorry" in his language (is it Korean?).  Instead of telling her how to say "sorry" he taught her how to say "What the *&%$ are you looking at?", then him laughing gleefully. 

• LOL 21
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

While waiting for the new episode to start, I had the "More To Love" episode playing just before.  I don't usually watch but this might have convinced me to do so in the future.  They showed bonus footage of Jihoon teaching Deavan how to say "sorry" in his language (is it Korean?).  Instead of telling her how to say "sorry" he taught her how to say "What the *&%$ are you looking at?", then him laughing gleefully. 

Same, I don't usually watch it but had the same reaction when I caught this scene.  It actually should have been kept in the original episode and not just bonus footage.  I would much rather see things like this than all the "dramatic" crap we get fed.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, politichick said:

Hopefully Aladin will let Laura off gently when he dumps her in the states.

You're a much kinder person than me.  

She is such a shit that I hopes he dumps her in a loud, public way.  He seems far too kind and classy for it but it's what she deserves.  

• Love 20
18 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

If it happened the way she reported it, it really must've been quite frightening. A herd of strangers busting into your home and dragging your lover to god knows where. I know jacksquat about the law in India but can a man really be thrown in jail for adultery?

I feel rather ill thinking about Jenny and Sumit having sex, so my research may be off. But from what I looked up, India overturned its laws against adultery just under a year ago, and the laws that did exist only criminalized the act of having sex with a married woman. So Jenny wouldn’t be guilty of anything under those laws. They could probably get police to take Sumit into custody for however long it took to clarify that Jenny is already divorced (a process that would probably be much slower if In-Laws Sumit have friends in the police department), but this assumes that all of this took place before the law was overturned in September 2018. Have we gotten any hints as to when Jenny began this ill-advised adventure?

I saw another theory on Instagram: since Sumit was running around Delhi running his mouth about his plans to marry Jenny before she arrived in India, he might have set rumors into motion that they did get married, especially once locals spotted a dazed-looking blonde woman wandering around the city under the impression she could get a job there. In that case, In-Laws Sumit might have genuinely thought they had a case against him for bigamy.

Have we talked about Jenny enduring the horrifying ordeal of Mother Sumit...pointing a finger in her face? What a blow she was dealt! If only Pole had been around to explain how gravely offensive it would have been if she tried that in jail.

• LOL 10
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Speaking of criminals, Ronald was very weird. Like this anger just under the surface he was only just containing. 

And I forget how exactly he said it, but when he was calming Tiffany about paying for the private hospital, he said he would have the money (twice) and in a TH said something like "one way or another"  - redflag!  Actually, I was imagining he would ask his parents for it.  But still, Tiffany is doubly dumb for being pregnant at this time.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 10

I'm thinking that Liam was enticed to go to the wedding by the producers promising him lots of extra American dollars if he flew there to stir shit up.  There's no other explanation for why he would fly across the country if he truly hated the idea of his mom marrying Aladin.  It would be so much easier to stay home.

Oh, Corey.  Which of Evelin's many facial expressions of surprise/dread clued you into thinking that she actually wants you to return to her?  Those were not the looks of someone who's in love and anticipating having you back in her hammock!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, nr65000 said:

"She's searched for love too many times", when in reality he told her, " you keep making the same mistake ma and I am always left to pick up the pieces...don't you ever learn" (paraphrasing of course) . 

Liam's point was that her chooser is bad, so why is Aladin any different?

ETA: I'm sure he's right.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Dobian said:

I was pretty sure I heard the sound of knuckles cracking.  The DIL has been in heavy training at the gym to be prepared for this possibility, and will be booking a flight within the week to kick ass all over India.

Of course the whole public/private hospital dilemma is the perfect TLC setup for the much-anticipated Ronald showcase episode, where he's on a big hot streak at the craps table while Tiffany's in labor, just a hundred dollars away from that private birthing room...and then..."sorry honey, I couldn't get the room.  But let me introduce you to our baby's godfather, Lenny "The Shark" Wilson."

"Baby needs a new pair of shoes!"

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Am I the only one who would be calling the US embassy to get someone in India who could help me right away with Indian laws & law enforcement before calling TV producers? Yeah, I’m not buying Jenny’s story.

There is nothing the US embassy can do for Jenny. Travelers make the mistake of thinking the Embassy will somehow rescue citizens from their foolish decisions. 

Lets see: Jenny has a six year relationship with a man child .  She follows him to India.  Turns out he is married.  Man child family intervenes.  Jenny is left stranded in India.  What is the expectation of the US Embassy?  Get her home? Get her crisis counseling? Get man child back into her loving arms?  

• Useful 6
  • LOL 7
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Have we talked about Jenny enduring the horrifying ordeal of Mother Sumit...pointing a finger in her face? What a blow she was dealt! If only Pole had been around to explain how gravely offensive it would have been if she tried that in jail.

Not to mention that Mother Sumit gave Jenny a bad look...What a blow, indeed. 

• LOL 22
13 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Holy shit we need a chat for this dog show...these people are crazier than Jenny. I call shenanigans, the altar looked barely touched and there were no signs of the fight Jenny mentioned.

It'd probably been days since the epic showdown with Sumit's parents by the time the film crew got there. Consider the time difference and having to make travel arrangements. Where's Sharp based? California? New Delhi is 12 hours ahead. So Jenny tearfully calls production in the middle of the night. Even if they leaped into taxis and went immediately to the airport, flights are about 20 hours long. I wouldn't sit around with broken glass and crockery on the floor for three days.

3 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

It may be editing and I can't explain it but Ronald scares me, he just seems so angry and resentful and about to snap at any moment. I am afraid for Daniel and the new baby.

Ronald's rage is barely contained, I noticed it in the first episode. He is a ticking time bomb.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

She called the production team! THE. PRODUCTION. TEAM. 

I agree that she's an idiot, but a sad one.  She was an older, desperate woman who got involved with some Internet gigolo* to start with.  Still, she has a contract with TLC.  She also may have NO FUNDS.  She can't call Daddy to save her, so she calls Production (which may be required).  Now she's an older, desperate woman with no apartment, furniture, car, clothing, job, computer?, etc.  Life will be VERY difficult when she gets back to California and looks for love in the wrong places--again.  Stay tuned...

*probably not her first, but Sumit does appear sympathetic (and pathetic).

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I am imaging this exchange between Jenny and Mama Sumi and no one can tell me different - curlers and everythang! 

tumblr_lu9xt4pi8K1qd47aao1_500.gif

tumblr_lu9xt4pi8K1qd47aao2_500.gif

source.gif

• LOL 12
12 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

A lot of things just ain't adding up. Am I really supposed to believe that Jenny waited a whole month to call and tell her daughter what had happened? Am I supposed to believe the only phone call she made was to production - not her family, not the US Embassy, a lawyer  or even the damn police?

The call was a month after the gals had left.  We aren't sure when Sumit's inlaws came crashing in.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Persnickety1 said:

Better yet, I've never heard of any complications with Daniel's birth, so get a local reputable midwife and have the baby at home.  

Or go into labor with Ronnie nearby and let him finish what he started!  FREE!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I consider myself a somewhat naïve person generally speaking but I have to say that I bought Jenny's distress. Real or not that woman is feeling this trauma and pain over her little snaggletoothed cheating liar. If it happened the way she reported it, it really must've been quite frightening. A herd of strangers busting into your home and dragging your lover to god knows where. I know jacksquat about the law in India but can a man really be thrown in jail for adultery?

Apparently the adultery law was discontinued in 2018 in India. 

The important thing that Jenny needs to note here is that Summit is completely comfortable telling complicated lies for long periods of time. First he cat-fished her. Then he lied about being married for 2 years, including several months when they were living together. There is no telling what else Summit would lie about, because he is obviously very comfortable fabricating stories to get or keep what he wants. Jenny should go home, but she won't, because she's emotional and rather dumb.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

Sumit’s wife should have a chat with him too about lies. What else is he lying about?

No idea what divorce is like in India. Would Sumit leave his wife or just want his cake and ice cream?

Funny how none of the other way folks have nice homes.  No beautiful apartment in Qatar, Karine’s and Paul’s cheap residence, etc.

• Love 3

So, are there better people on this show than Jenny's daughter and her wife? Kudos to neither saying "I told you so." They are being as kind and patient as possible but they were NEVER buying what Sumit was selling. Because, you know, they have brains. How did Jenny raise a kid with a clue and a badass wife?

let me say, I hate Karine. I think she's a whiner and constantly wants to be accusing Paul of "making her cry" when she is a total jerk who does virtually nothing to sustain a relationship. Ole Paul isn't much better. But imagine my surprise when they all act like adults last night and Pierre is so sweet. Even Pauls mom was kind and gracious.

Tiffany. I don't know what to say about what an idiot she is. I don't trust my husband to go to the store alone, he's been out of rehab 6 weeks, we have no jobs or money. let's get pregnant! Grand idea. She deserves to labor in the floor (although the poor child!).

Jihoon. Hilarious and entertaining but dear God he and Eeyore will soon be raising 2 kids. Where is Demon Spawn anyway? And who is her dad? (I am a newish comer to the show)

Is Liam not neurotypical or is it just me? He has super weird reactions. Like huge grins and eff you attitude at once. Odd. Then again Stretch Pants McGee did raise him with her purple vibe.

Edited by queenbee24
  • LOL 9
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

This weasel let you sell all of your belongings and move over to India on a 90-day Visa with the obvious assumption you would be married in that period of time. 

Yeah, Jenny, YOUR assumption that you'd be married in that time.  Perhaps (but he is "a spineless sack of shit" Persnikety1™) Sumit's assumption was to have a 90-day Endless Love experience and Jenny would waddle back to Palm Springs.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

For someone who seems so socially awkward (does he have friends?), he sure is Man of the House and Mr. I Make the Rules.  Did his mother NEVER discuss other cultures with him?  He'll be lucky if he doesn't get beat up while he's there (she should have discussed THAT too).  And what is so great about him anyway?

I don't like to be the one to bring up kinky stuff (hah) but it seems to me like we've got some Oedipal action going on here, and I think the Skipper is flattered by it.  Liam disapproves not only of Aladdin (whom I'm liking better on every show), but of every man his mother has ever dated since her divorce from his father.  This to me is weird.

He is not concerned about offending Aladdin or his family; I think he's doing what he can to scare off Aladdin and stop the wedding.

10 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

I know nothing about hospitals in SA, but I'm assuming the public ones are for the "poors" and are severely underfunded. I hated how arrogant he was. Tiff can shove it too. She's no better than any of the women giving birth there. In fact, I'm willing to bet that none of the other women there flew half-way around the world to get knocked up by a criminal addict who stole from his mother, so she should lose the attitude. 

I'm tired of people believing they are *above* using facilities that exist for exactly people like them:  poor, no resources and needing help that they can't get elsewhere.  Why indeed does Tiffany deserve better obstetric care than the other women who are in her situation financially?  Furthermore, she has already had one child, so it's not like this is some terrifying new experience which *might* justify a stranger in a strange land being uneasy using services *which exist just for people like her.*  She sure should lose the attitude.

About Pole and Karen:  I think maybe the visit by Mother is the prologue to Mother and Father financing Karen's move to the US, now that some of Father's precious vital fluid is involved.

• LOL 4
  • Love 15
14 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Liam, stop being a dick and give your deluded mother her goddamned 5-minute dance at her wedding party.  I've no doubt the TLC crew prodded you into going, but you're a grown-assed man and could have stood your ground and refused.  You made the decision to be there, you've expressed your opinion about her newest relationship over and over again, so shut your pie hole and go dance with the moron.  Then unlatch yourself from mom's teat and start your own life.  You're not a kid any more so grow the fuck up and let her make her epic mistake.

I was surprised that Liam voiced such strong opinions.  I pictured him a withdrawn "kid" who will never be able to live on his own...spending time alone in his room with only video games as friends.  I think he may have had some challenges growing up (along with bullying), so he may not trust any men.  

Am I reading too much into some disability or is he just worried:

• That his mother will leave him all alone and he can't function alone?
  • That his mother's men have always bumped him out of first place?
  • That it's happening yet again?
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I’ve gotten to the point that I can’t stand a single word that comes out of Tiffany’s mouth. Everything she says is a whine or a complaint. Woe is her, she doesn’t want to give birth in a “poor” person hospital, she is stuck in SA because of her addict husband, etc. Everyone else is responsible for her poor decision making.  

STFU Tiffany. Even Ronald wants you to STFU. That’s probably the cause some of the simmering rage, if not now it will be. 

People who are negative about every damn thing just get to be a drag to be around and suck all the air out of the damn room. She just wants to be the victim so she can whine about it. 

• Love 16
9 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

If Jenny wasn't crying genuine tears,  then she can teach professional actresses how to cry on cue. 

Liam is fugly,  and I resented his being on my TV screen. 

I think Aladin is very handsome,  so I understand neither his attraction to Laura nor her own apparent lack of a mirror. 

Kareeeny had a first-rate make-up artist for meeting Mother Pole.  

Right? I sucked KingBee into watching last night and he was like so... why are all these people doing this? I gave my theories on most but that one floors me. And Aladin is either a master actor or actually does care about her stretch pantsed ass. I don't get it! He's HOT he could surely find someone to get him a green card who was born in the same decade as him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

This delusional man had you give up everything to come live in sin with him and thought he was going to hide you from his wife and the rest of his family, all the while lying about it. 

But remember, he had to persevere for only 90 days!  Her Visa would expire and they could go back to Romancing by Internet.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Lady Iris said:

Liam said, "it's him or me." Does a child really get to make that ultimatum to a mother?

I think Mothra has the answer right here!

16 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I don't like to be the one to bring up kinky stuff (hah) but it seems to me like we've got some Oedipal action going on here, and I think the Skipper is flattered by it.

I love your name, Mothra; your parents had excellent taste!

• Love 3

Liam may very well be an ass. However, I think every word he said to his mother in the hotel room is true. But what he doesn’t understand is that he  he contributes to her behavior by enabling her behavior.   He rescues her every time she makes a bad decision. He needs to have his own life and he needs to let her suffer the consequences of the bad decisions she makes.  She states that you have to take risks for love. Choosing to hook up with a man that is young enough to be your son, from a culture entirely different than your own, and from a culture that expects breeding as a byproduct of marriage and you are 51,  is not a risk - that is an incredibly stupid decision.  

Her son is an adult now, he doesn’t need to continue to be collateral damage.

Other than a TLC paycheck, I can't see why he showed up for the wedding.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 12