Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So sad about Orson Bean,  I always liked him. 

I will watch Dr. Quinn periodically on Hallmark. One thing that really bothers me is Jane Seymour whispering so many of her lines.  I don't know why she does that. 

Also wonder why the first 2 episodes are never shown. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Starleigh said:

I think some of the actors were replaced after the first episode of two...wasn't there originally a different actor playing Loren? Also Robert E? That may be why those episodes are rarely shown.

Yes. Loren was played by Guy Boyd; Jake by Colm Meany, Robert E. By Ivory Ocean. Ocean played Robert E. because Henry Sanders wasn’t available for the pilot.

Even Larry Sellers played  a different character, Black Hawk. But returned to play  Cloud Dancing.

Why no, I haven’t watched this series multiple times!😄

• LOL 5
(edited)

Does anyone know why only season 1 of this show is available to purchase on Amazon (digital streaming that is)? Is there anywhere to buy this entire series digitally? I really don't want more boxed sets cluttering up my limited space. Plus, lot of reviews seem to indicate the quality of the DVDs are terrible so I really don't want to spend that kind of money on something that sounds like it's crappy...

Has anyone purchased the box set from Amazon and had it be fine? 

Edited by appledown

I wish I'd bought more than just season 1 when it was streaming on Amazon. But I didn't, because it was on prime. I'm hoping it will come back at some point. I prefer streaming to DVDs at this point, because I like watching on a tablet and not having to deal with physical storage.

11 hours ago, Starleigh said:

I wish I'd bought more than just season 1 when it was streaming on Amazon. But I didn't, because it was on prime. I'm hoping it will come back at some point. I prefer streaming to DVDs at this point, because I like watching on a tablet and not having to deal with physical storage.

Same here! But my issue is more one of laziness - who wants to get up every few episodes and change out the disk?? LOL 

And I really don't have a lot of storage space and my current DVDs are jammed together in one little area. 

Dilemma.

7 hours ago, appledown said:

Same here! But my issue is more one of laziness - who wants to get up every few episodes and change out the disk?? LOL 

And I really don't have a lot of storage space and my current DVDs are jammed together in one little area. 

Dilemma.

That's pretty much me, lol.

I mainly watch stuff in bed before I go to sleep and I like to just curl up with my tablet and not have to bother with pesky stuff like disk changing or shutting down my laptop etc.

I loved the show when it first aired. I even have the complete collection but after going back to watch the episodes a few things stuck with me. Brian is the most annoying child throughout the entire series. Must be the cliche television child syndrome. He got away with too much. He was a busybody-all in the adults business. Every new character who arrived in town with some creative ability, he just had to do the same, and he was babied too much. I find myself unable to stomach his annoyance. Hank had a horse he mistreated so Brian wanted the horse. He was jealous of the time Mike spent with Katie so he got bad grades in school. The list goes on and on with this child.

I hate Sully. He is cultural appropriation at its finest. The white savior to the Native Americans. He was selfish. It was okay for him to do whatever he wanted to do but let Mike want the same. 

Watched the marathon on Hallmark yesterday while nursing a migraine.  Jessica Bowman's 'Colleen' is SO annoying.  In 'All That Glitters' her whiny, bratty " you want me to do what YOU want - well, what about what I want" tantrum at Dr. Mike made me want to punch her in the teeth.  

• Love 2

I am rewatching this series and I have to say that Joe Lando is one yummilicous scrumptious of a hero. I did and do prefer when his hair is longish.

Wolf is another favorite and he looks just like my fur baby. 

"The Abduction" is definitely in the top five of my favorite episodes, and so very Last of the Mohicans-like.

"The Cattle Drive" is another favorite--I won't lie-the chemistry between Joe and Jane is sizzling, and those are my favorite scenes in the series. Though I hated that they killed off Olive.

I'm not looking forward to the Washita episodes, even though I know it's based on what happened, because I love Chief Black Kettle! 

Though the show played fast and loose with the time line for the first two seasons. I have to hand wave it away.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the new, prissy Colleen. I keep forgetting why they recast her.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, Sno said:

I loved the show when it first aired. I even have the complete collection but after going back to watch the episodes a few things stuck with me. Brian is the most annoying child throughout the entire series. Must be the cliche television child syndrome. He got away with too much. He was a busybody-all in the adults business. Every new character who arrived in town with some creative ability, he just had to do the same, and he was babied too much. I find myself unable to stomach his annoyance. Hank had a horse he mistreated so Brian wanted the horse. He was jealous of the time Mike spent with Katie so he got bad grades in school. The list goes on and on with this child.

So you feel that a child on a TV show never should be allowed to be anything but a paragon of perfection?

I would say that Brian was a very good kid 95 % of the time though, so I don't get your complaint at all.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, Sno said:

I hate Sully. He is cultural appropriation at its finest. The white savior to the Native Americans. He was selfish. It was okay for him to do whatever he wanted to do but let Mike want the same. 

Can you give me an example of Sully being selfish or not letting Michaela do what she wanted?

I don't remember that at all! 

Edited by Furienna
  • Love 2
On 3/22/2021 at 2:18 PM, ctlady said:

Watched the marathon on Hallmark yesterday while nursing a migraine.  Jessica Bowman's 'Colleen' is SO annoying.  In 'All That Glitters' her whiny, bratty " you want me to do what YOU want - well, what about what I want" tantrum at Dr. Mike made me want to punch her in the teeth.  

So you don't feel that Colleen should have been allowed to decide what to do with her own life?

That's harsh.

Edited by Furienna
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Furienna said:

So you don't feel that Colleen should have been allowed to decide what to do with her own life?

That's harsh.

It was more to do with how she came across rather than what she said.  I did specify her whininess-brattiness and need to throw a dramatic tantrum rather than talking calmly.  She wants to be treated like a grown up and make her own decision then she shouldn't act like a child

• Love 3
On 9/2/2022 at 8:38 PM, CAM said:

I want random cameos from other DQ stars. Maybe one of the triplet girls who played Katie can play the daughter and William Shockley (Hank) will get to play a part. It would be lovely because Lando's character is named "Hank."

I'd love to see the actors playing Grace and Robert E. show up. Both Henry Sanders and Jonelle Parsons are still working.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, marceline said:

I want random cameos from other DQ stars. Maybe one of the triplet girls who played Katie can play the daughter and William Shockley (Hank) will get to play a part. It would be lovely because Lando's character is named "Hank."

I'd love to see the actors playing Grace and Robert E. show up. Both Henry Sanders and Jonelle Parsons are still working.

Yep, that would be loads of fun, I had the same thought about John Schneider (Daniel) and yeah I thought it was funny that Lando's character is named Hank. A nice inside joke/nod to the chemistry between Dr. Mike and Hank.

So feTV started with the pilot today, and it was for two hours! So most of it was aired. And I noticed something that probably was changed during the dubbing or is it ADR? for the scene when Matthew asks how Brian is after Michaela and Sully found him and she set his leg.

She says and the closed captioning shows that “he’s all right” but Jane’s lips say “he’s okay” and I’m like, why did they change that? What was wrong with okay?

But more to the shallow- DAYUMMMMM!

The chemistry between Joe and Jane? Ohhhh Myyyyyy!!! And I just recently found out that they dated during the filming of the pilot and after. So those scenes on the mountain in “Bad Water” real life feelings!!!🥰🥰😍😍😍

On 8/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The Abduction" is definitely in the top five of my favorite episodes, and so very Last of the Mohicans-like.

You mean Sully screaming "I'LL FIND YOU!" as the dog soldiers kidnap Mike?

It's one of my favorites too. I still remember how that moment when Sully gently asked her if the dog soldiers had "hurt" her and her just as gently telling him "No" went over my head the first time I saw it. It wasn't until ten years later, watching a rerun that I realized that he was actually asking her if they'd *raped* her.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

You mean Sully screaming "I'LL FIND YOU!" as the dog soldiers kidnap Mike?

It's one of my favorites too. I still remember how that moment when Sully gently asked her if the dog soldiers had "hurt" her and her just as gently telling him "No" went over my head the first time I saw it. It wasn't until ten years later, watching a rerun that I realized that he was actually asking her if they'd *raped* her.

Yes. That and the whole search for her with Wolf's help!

And when he's asking the Cheyenne if Michaela was there...and how she's his "heartsong"

Me: SWOOOOOOOOOOOON.

And OMGEE, yes, when Sully asks if they hurt her, ALWAYS gets to me.

On 12/26/2022 at 1:08 AM, CAM said:

I have been doing a rewatch too...the show still holds up and the chemistry between Joe and Jane is amazing.

Did anyone check out the Lifetime movie they did?

I SWOOON over their chemistry, it's so sizzling.

I did catch it over the weekend, and ROWR! Joe Lando has turned into a very SEXAY Silver Fox! The movie was okay. Actress playing Jane's daughter looked like she never washed her hair; and the writing couldn't decide whether she was okay with her widowed mom of two years finding love again or not. 

But the chemistry is still there.

As for the show, I only have a bit of time to note these few things:

• I prefer Erika Flores' Colleen-who was smart, mature beyond her years and DECIDED to become a doctor after watching Michaela help people in "Epidemic" not to mention, she wasn't afraid of horses; knew how to ride and stood up to people and wasn't a whiny little twat like the recast Jessica Bowman
  • Jessica's Colleen was a whiny, spoiled little brat, and changed the entire characterization of Colleen. She was suddenly afraid of horses and didn't know how to ride them; blamed Michaela for "forcing" her to go to medical school to become a doctor, and accusing her of being just like Elizabeth, which is the total opposite of what happened onscreen before Erika was recast
  • At least in the flashbacks, we got to see the original Colleen
  • Clearly, some of the first season's episodes were out of order. I have to handwave some things from the Pilot, because, Pilot. But Sully told Michaela there wasn't anything in the homestead that he wanted
  • But in "The Healing" he tells Michaela that the chest with Abigail's things and baby things can be given to Loren. And this aired BEFORE "Cowboy's Lullaby" where Sully got angry at Colleen for using his dead baby's clothes for the Indian baby they were taking care of. It's enough to give me whiplash!
  • And now I'm thinking that "Orphan Train" happened BEFORE the Thanksgiving Two-Parter where they finally said "I Love You" because one: Sully's hair still looks good, and two, when he asks why she has this need to fill her life with other people's children--she throws back in his face how he's never offered to commit to her or the children--which, yes, yes he did after they started courting; but he didn't stop after they broke up. But it aired toward the end of the season.
  • Now for the shallow--I hated Joe's/Sully's hairstyle toward the end of season three through the end of the series. Especially in three's latter season, when it's OBVIOUS someone thought gelling his hair and curling it at the temples with the middle part, looked natural. It did NOT. The best style that was true to the times was in season two. Joe said he couldn't help the contemporary style for the pilot, but I didn't see anything wrong with it.

I think out of all three children, Matthew is my favorite.

That's all I have for now. Though I wonder why Jane Wyman didn't return to play Elizabeth. And contrary to what was stated in her will in the movie, Elizabeth Quinn WAS NOT A FRIEND to the Cheyenne or any other Native Americans!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

I prefer original Colleen.  Mostly because she wasn’t a mini me version of Michaela.  I feel that is what the show runners were trying to do with Jessica Bowman.  Erika as Colleen felt like Colleen was her own character.  

Plus I prefer the chemistry she had with Chad Allen and Shawn Toovey.  They had such great small interactions.  I think about the Ingrid dies plot and just imagine how it would have been written with Flores in the role as Colleen.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ch1 said:

I prefer original Colleen.  Mostly because she wasn’t a mini me version of Michaela.  I feel that is what the show runners were trying to do with Jessica Bowman.  Erika as Colleen felt like Colleen was her own character.  

Well Erika left by her own choice. I think I read she didn't want to continue acting or whatever.

Michaela may be judgey sometimes and preachy, but she wasn't a sniveling, whiny brat. Jessica's Colleen might as well have been a different sibling. I didn't see any "Mini-me" version of Michaela in Bowman's Colleen. 

But potatoes and potahtoes, I guess.

10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Though I wonder why Jane Wyman didn't return to play Elizabeth.

Rumor has it that Jane and her did not get along. 

Yeah those continuity goofs can give you whiplash thanks to binge-watching.

12 hours ago, CAM said:

Yeah those continuity goofs can give you whiplash thanks to binge-watching.

Well, that's a bummer. And now I'm wondering why Gail Strickland didn't return in season two, but Olive was killed offscreensville. I much prefer her to Dorothy.

It's not just binge-watching--some of these goofs are in the same season, a few episodes apart!

Now, onto other stuff...

I much prefer the recast of Walks On Clouds-played by the sexay Zahn McLarnon. Though the line from season one's "Heroes" from Snow Bird that he and Little Moon would "marry soon" meant a year? Hee! In "The Offering" Walks On Clouds only speaks Cheyenne, but by the time we see him again in "The Abduction" he's learned to speak the White Man's English! I hated that he was killed.

But one of my favorite characters, Wolf, is a puzzle. I love him because he reminds me so much of my darling fur baby that I lost a year and a half ago, even though Wolf was played by Alaskan Malamutes and my Ralphie was a Siberian Husky with brown eyes. If I recall correctly, there were two of them. I liked the first one, who played him for the first four seasons, I think it was. He was much more affectionate, and you could see him waving his paw to touch and reach out, the "speaking" he did when he, I don't want to say whine, but whimpering and sympathetic sounds whenever Sully, Matthew, Brian or even Colleen was hurt. He would jump up to greet Sully whenever Sully returned from a long trip, like in "Washita" from season three.

By the time season five rolled around, Wolf just sat on the porch. No jumping around Sully; his "voice" was silent. Except for the episode with Michaela's supposed friend and jealous twat. But that happened in four, so never mind.

The only time we saw him growling and then licking his hoomans was at the end of "Hostage" when he got shot and was sleeping by Brian at the end. I wonder if fans wrote in about that? Because in the final season's "To Have and To Hold" we got the old Wolf back, and he was licking and jumping on Sully.

Then there's Pup. A small gray and black "wolf" given to Brian in the pilot. In "Epidemic" and even "Cowboy's Lullaby" he had white and light brown markings. Then, THEN, in "Running Ghost" he was an exact replica of Wolf! First I thought Brian was brushing Wolf with Colleen's brush--but he returned with Cloud Dancing when he brought injured Sully after the Buffalo poachers had beaten him nearly to death. And then, in Season 4, when Pup "returned" he had the markings from when he was a baby pup--dark gray and black markings.

Yes, I'm weird. I was noting all these changes during my marathon watching. But something I never tire of and swoon and my inner tween/teen just loves; hell even my young adult and current adult self loves, is the chemistry between Joe and Jane--the heated looks Sully gives Michaela before he admitted his love; oh to have someone look at me that way. And then of course those kisses! YOWZA!

Ahem.

"First Circle" is also one of my favorites, though how anyone could find Dorothy, Hank, Loren root-worthy is beyond my understanding. I suppose Dorothy evolved and so did Loren. But Hank and Jake? UGH.

My favorite line is when Sully threatens to kill Jedidiah if he tries to hurt any of the kids, and when that racist, bigoted pig tries to move his face, Sully grabs his jaw and squeezes, and the look he gives that extra who tries to interfere, just has me melting into goo. It's all in the eyes--Joe's/Sully's eyes.

Frank Collison and the late Orson Bean said in the interviews that they weren't happy with what Beth Sullivan wanted Horace and Loren to do in this episode- to actually be part of stringing Robert E. up. First, Horace would never do that. And for all his prejudices, doing that would be one step too, too far for Loren. They refused to do it, and so we got extras who did it.

And next up (because I LOOOOOOVE IT!) is a re-re-rewatch of "The Abduction" for me!

Whaaaat?

But I really wish they'd gotten someone other than Maxwell Caulfield to play David. Good Gracious, were all of Michaela's beaus younger than her? 😜

• Like 1

Yeah I liked Olive better too, I felt that she was a bit more "equal/on the same level" to Mike than Dorothy was.

They could have done a lot with Walks on Cloud, it still seems such a waste to have killed him off.

Early Wolf is still one of the best TV Dog sidekicks and one of my favorite characters...love him in Bad Water and Abduction. Yeah I've noticed the difference in Wolf as well...my headcanon was that Wolf was just getting old and decided to become more of a "house dog".

I always loved that scene of Sully giving Brian Pup...I handwave it a Pup just got re-casted like some of the others after the pilot...my other handwave is that the writers forgot about him which is why Pup just disappeared. Brother's Keeper is an amazing episode Chad and Shawn did an amazing job.

Yep the chemistry between Joe/Jane is one of the best examples on on screen chemistry that I have ever seen...they don't get enough recognition.

First Circle, I am glad that it hasn't been erased from existence on streaming platforms like it was form the TV reruns...it was and is a powerful episode that showcases some of the experiences that Africans had during that time period. 

Loren/Jake/Hank...the characters that you love but want to knock upside the head more often than not...the perfect example of two steps forward and five steps back.

But while those 3 do like and "respect" Mike to some extent, I did love Hanks recation to Mike getting shot in Piont Blank.

• Love 2
On 2/17/2023 at 4:52 PM, libgirl2 said:

I just binged Harry Wild on AcornTV. It stars Jane Seymour and she is far from the kindly Dr. Quinn. 

I LOVED that show. It was such an unexpected gem when I was just looking for something British to binge and decided to check it out. She's amazing in it. I hope there's another season.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, marceline said:

I LOVED that show. It was such an unexpected gem when I was just looking for something British to binge and decided to check it out. She's amazing in it. I hope there's another season.

I hope so too. I signed up for Acorn and saw it. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but as you say, it is a gem. I also binged another show this weekend, Darby and Joan. 

(edited)
On 12/28/2022 at 1:31 AM, CAM said:

I don't believe that was it. Wyman had a lot of health issues. She came out of retirement for Falcon Crest and barely made it to the end of that series. Her appearance on DQMW was her last acting job. I'd love to know how she came to to the role and why she did it. Honestly, I suspect she only played the role on Dr. Quinn to keep her health insurance. 

I only mention this because I'm watching the ep right now on Pluto TV. S1 of this show is kind of intriguing to watch.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, marceline said:

I don't believe that was it. Wyman had a lot of health issues. She came out of retirement for Falcon Crest and barely made it to the end of that series. Her appearance on DQMW was her last acting job. I'd love to know how she came to to the role and why she did it. Honestly, I suspect she only played the role on Dr. Quinn to keep her health insurance. 

I only mention this because I'm watching the ep right now on Pluto TV. S1 of this show is kind of intriguing to watch.

That was my thought as well--that I couldn't believe that Jane Wyman and Jane Seymour didn't get along. After all, according to Seymour, she was dead broke when she accepted this role, and I can't imagine her throwing her weight around or that Sullivan would kowtow to Seymour. If Seymour was really like that, we would have heard about such antics. And from what I can see, all of her co-stars, still around, and Joe Lando, have nothing but good things to say about her.

I love this show, but the last two seasons? BLECH. I admit, I fast forward all scenes except for the ones with Daniel and Sully, because I'm shallow like that.

I love this show a lot. I love and hate the characters with each season.  I see them grow. The only sad this is Dr Mike.  She never changed, never evolved in this who time...at least for me.  Every time, every conflict was her view and hers only.  Some times were right her whole what she believes needs to stop.  Even at the end of the show, she made it all about her and not wanting her daughter to be happy she tried to ruin her wedding. Sure they changed and she was happy for the wedding..   Funny how the most selfish, self centered woman on the show was the main character.

• Like 2