Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

S01.E01: Pilot

Recommended Posts

To air on September 23rd at 9:00 p.m. ET:

A new courthouse drama that follows the chaotic, hopeful and sometimes absurd lives of its judges, prosecutors and public defenders, as they work with bailiffs, clerks and cops to get justice for the people of Los Angeles amidst a flawed legal process.

Share this post


Link to post

Well...it was a pilot.

I don't exactly know what I was expecting, but to me, this was trying to be both clever/witty and being all tropey with bad police/innocent victims and whatnot and how the system is corrupt/needs to change bit.

The pep talk to the exonerated client at the end didn't leave me with empowerment/feel-good vibes more than feeling overly happy, happy, joy, joy/all will be right in the world super sickly sweet pablum.

I hope this was pilot-itis and this calms down a notch or 20.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I hope this was pilot-itis and this calms down a notch or 20.

Right.  I do like the characters so far so that's good but it was a bit too early in the season to have as many separate stories going on. 

They should swerve into the ABC-ness of it all instead of the CBS-ness with the judge talking to the accused at the end.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I liked the pilot, the show seems very energetic. Judge Lola could be a very strong character and one I could root for if they don't screw it up.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

I thought that the show was pleasant enough. However, I am a bit wary with the vagueness of Judge Lola's romantic partner. We don't see them in the episode and they are referred to only as "Robin," a fairly gender neutral name. It's totally fine whether Judge Lola is involved with a man or a woman, but I don't like it when shows play up "Is she gay or not?" as a sort of weird mystery. "Duh duh duhhhhh...she's a lesbian!" is a pretty shitty reveal, ya know (same with "Duh duh duhhhh...she's straight!")? 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

I thought that the show was pleasant enough. However, I am a bit wary with the vagueness of Judge Lola's romantic partner. We don't see them in the episode and they are referred to only as "Robin," a fairly gender neutral name. It's totally fine whether Judge Lola is involved with a man or a woman, but I don't like it when shows play up "Is she gay or not?" as a sort of weird mystery. "Duh duh duhhhhh...she's a lesbian!" is a pretty shitty reveal, ya know (same with "Duh duh duhhhh...she's straight!")? 

I was getting vibes with her newly single coworker and I feel like they'll eventually go there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, In2You said:

I was getting vibes with her newly single coworker and I feel like they'll eventually go there.

Interestingly enough, just last month they cast an actress to play his girlfriend, Ria, in a recurring role, so they might not be broken up! Or maybe she'll just show up a few times to mess with him? 

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the avenue the show goes, too, as they have great chemistry, but it's still weird how vague they're being with her romantic partner. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed it.  Who was the Deputy Police Commissioner, I recognized the voice but could not get his face.  I tried to google, but wasn't successful and in all honesty, didn't try that hard.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I enjoyed it.  Who was the Deputy Police Commissioner, I recognized the voice but could not get his face.  I tried to google, but wasn't successful and in all honesty, didn't try that hard.  

Richard Brooks, who I first remember as Robinette in the first three seasons of Law & Order.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

Richard Brooks, who I first remember as Robinette in the first three seasons of Law & Order.

As many roles as I've seen him in since then, whenever his face pops up, Robinette is the first person that comes to mind, and its been 25 years since then!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, TVForever said:

As many roles as I've seen him in since then, whenever his face pops up, Robinette is the first person that comes to mind, and its been 25 years since then!

OMG I hate myself right now.  I'm so freaking embarrassed.  Robinette!!!  (I'm literally ashamed, if you can only see me sneer and eye rolls myself)  

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, TVForever said:

Robinette is the first person that comes to mind, and its been 25 years since then!

Closer to 30, since the first episode (Sep 1990)!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm giving this a cautious like.  I liked the characters, I liked the actors.  I liked the pulling tension between "get things done" and "do what's right."  Right now it is suffering from that frenetic pace of pilot-itus, so I expect it to calm down soon. 

16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They should swerve into the ABC-ness of it all instead of the CBS-ness with the judge talking to the accused at the end.

Could you expand on this, @Irlandesa?  I think I see your point, but I'd like to hear your ideas.  For example, about halfway through the episode I thought to myself "even though this is set in the courthouse, I'm getting a strong The Rookie vibe here with the humor and situations and the dynamics, and the mix of humanity and inhumanity"  This is exemplified in the scene with Lola realizing the defendant had no pants paired with the grizzled bailiff not giving a crap.  And then there were the moralizing bits.  Is that what you mean about ABC-ness (dynamic vibe) and the CBS-ness (moralizing vibe)?

I've long thought the networks have an overall arcing theme, or zeitgeist, or whatever.  When I was younger, I only watched ABC.  CBS was for old fogies.  Then NBC stole my heart with The Cosby Show, Friends, Cheers, Frasier, LA Law, St. Elsewhere, The West Wing etc.  Then with Survivor, NCIS, Criminal Minds, The Amazing Race, JAG, etc. CBS caught my interest.  Though I would watch Joss Whedon anything, even if it was on those upstart networks.

OMG.  Does this mean I'm old?

Edited by HurricaneVal · Reason: To expand on my example.
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well...it was a pilot.

I don't exactly know what I was expecting, but to me, this was trying to be both clever/witty and being all tropey with bad police/innocent victims and whatnot and how the system is corrupt/needs to change bit.

The pep talk to the exonerated client at the end didn't leave me with empowerment/feel-good vibes more than feeling overly happy, happy, joy, joy/all will be right in the world super sickly sweet pablum.

I hope this was pilot-itis and this calms down a notch or 20.

16 hours ago, mommalib said:

I liked the pilot, the show seems very energetic. Judge Lola could be a very strong character and one I could root for if they don't screw it up.

I also think this had a case of pilot-itis.  I thought it was TOO energetic, more frenetic.  I also totally did not feel the "friendship" between Lola and Mark (I had to look up his name, but Wilson Bethel's character).  They tried hard with the dialogue but I just don't feel any friendship chemistry there. 

Also, I'm sorry, but if a cop is planting evidence or trying to hide where it was found in order to "prove" the guilt, they need to held accountable, not given a pass.  I know that dealing with the fallout of all her other cases would be a nightmare, but WHO CARES?  She could've gotten tons of people falsely convicted.  I also don't think that defendant (again, forgetting names) should've been let off with a slap on the wrist.  She was still an accomplice.  Yeah, her mom was totally a shitty mom, but that girl is an adult now.  I guess I'm a little too black and white for the law and/or politics, heh. 

I did like the beginning with Lola freaking out about the girl not having pants, though.  That was an outrage. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Closer to 30, since the first episode (Sep 1990)!

Now I feel like I need Depends after reading this. Damn!

21 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I did like the beginning with Lola freaking out about the girl not having pants, though.  That was an outrage. 

That part just screamed "TV show world!" I cannot fathom this would ever be allowed to happen in real life. At least, I hope to hell not!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I also think this had a case of pilot-itis.  I thought it was TOO energetic, more frenetic.  I also totally did not feel the "friendship" between Lola and Mark (I had to look up his name, but Wilson Bethel's character).  They tried hard with the dialogue but I just don't feel any friendship chemistry there. 

Also, I'm sorry, but if a cop is planting evidence or trying to hide where it was found in order to "prove" the guilt, they need to held accountable, not given a pass.  I know that dealing with the fallout of all her other cases would be a nightmare, but WHO CARES?  She could've gotten tons of people falsely convicted.  I also don't think that defendant (again, forgetting names) should've been let off with a slap on the wrist.  She was still an accomplice.  Yeah, her mom was totally a shitty mom, but that girl is an adult now.  I guess I'm a little too black and white for the law and/or politics, heh. 

I did like the beginning with Lola freaking out about the girl not having pants, though.  That was an outrage. 

I totally agree about the cop. And I also didn't see any chemistry between Lola and Mark and I have a feeling they are gonna try and shove it down our throat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Interestingly enough, just last month they cast an actress to play his girlfriend, Ria, in a recurring role, so they might not be broken up! Or maybe she'll just show up a few times to mess with him? 

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the avenue the show goes, too, as they have great chemistry, but it's still weird how vague they're being with her romantic partner. 

All Rise: Don't Get Your Hopes Up for a Lola and Mark Romance

https://www.tvguide.com/news/all-rise-simone-missick-interview/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, In2You said:

All Rise: Don't Get Your Hopes Up for a Lola and Mark Romance

https://www.tvguide.com/news/all-rise-simone-missick-interview/

Yeah, I saw that and, coupled with them casting Ria, it certainly does suggest that they won't get together. 

However, it's interesting to figure out what Missick means by, "I would say that this show has fought so hard to be different on so many levels that I doubt it will fall into that same track. And if I'm wrong, I will pay every person that thinks that they were right a quarter."

Sure sounds like it would be at least a theoretical POSSIBILITY that Lola and Mark could get together, right? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I liked this, the main actress is really good and Lola could be a really compelling lead, trying to make a difference while also working within the system as an authority figure. The supporting cast seems pretty good as well, and while the writing had some clunky pilot feeling (especially the end speech) I am interested in seeing where it goes.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I would really like it if Lola and Mark could just be friends.  Good friends, close friends, where the relationship developed from mutual professional respect and went on to true non-sexual affection for each other.  No sexual tension, no "will they, won't they" push-pull, no "have a past, but broke up as friends" bullshit.  Just. .......friends.  You know, like normal people.

I have a work friend like that, and I absolutely treasure the relationship.  He calls me on my shit, and we joke back and forth and get serious when need be.  I absolutely do not harbor romantic feelings for him and vice versa.  But I would miss him terribly if we no longer worked together.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

I'd know Richard Brooks' voice anywhere. This show, I think, has a real chance. It's diversely cast, which is progress, showing a more realistic LA workplace. Mark & Lola can be friends, no drama or benefits other than real friendship. 

Paul McCrane will be a thorn in Lola's side, but come to her aid when it really matters...The one to watch out for will be Marg Helgenberger's character...shifty that one is....but lovely to see her back on a series...she was a favorite on CSI.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, kassygreene said:

Richard Brooks, who I first remember as Robinette in the first three seasons of Law & Order.

I feel bad that I didn't place him until he started talking.

Quote

Could you expand on this, @Irlandesa?  I think I see your point, but I'd like to hear your ideas.  For example, about halfway through the episode I thought to myself "even though this is set in the courthouse, I'm getting a strong The Rookie vibe here with the humor and situations and the dynamics, and the mix of humanity and inhumanity"  This is exemplified in the scene with Lola realizing the defendant had no pants paired with the grizzled bailiff not giving a crap.  And then there were the moralizing bits.  Is that what you mean about ABC-ness (dynamic vibe) and the CBS-ness (moralizing vibe)?

ABC vibe to me is dynamic, diverse, a little quirky/funny.  The CBS ness....and maybe it's not even CBS like exclusively but the emotional moment at the end didn't cut it for me.  Save those for people we care about.

1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

However, it's interesting to figure out what Missick means by, "I would say that this show has fought so hard to be different on so many levels that I doubt it will fall into that same track. And if I'm wrong, I will pay every person that thinks that they were right a quarter."

Sure sounds like it would be at least a theoretical POSSIBILITY that Lola and Mark could get together, right? 

Yeah I don't take anything anyone 'official' says at this time as gospel about what will or won't happen.  The show really hasn't exactly done a ton to be different in spite of what is said.   It felt familiar.   That's not bad but it's not different.

I read a review that said there's no hint of any thing after 4 episodes which, to me, is hilariously early to reach any conclusion about whether or not the show will go there. 

I mean, on one hand,  she's married so clearly they aren't pursuing it in the short term.  On the other, that spouse isn't a regular so I'm not convinced they care much about that relationship either. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I would really like it if Lola and Mark could just be friends.  Good friends, close friends, where the relationship developed from mutual professional respect and went on to true non-sexual affection for each other.  No sexual tension, no "will they, won't they" push-pull, no "have a past, but broke up as friends" bullshit.  Just. .......friends.  You know, like normal people.

I have a work friend like that, and I absolutely treasure the relationship.  He calls me on my shit, and we joke back and forth and get serious when need be.  I absolutely do not harbor romantic feelings for him and vice versa.  But I would miss him terribly if we no longer worked together.

Elementary did this with Sherlock and Joan, so it's at least possible CBS thought that went well and would be something they'd want to see replicated here. I hope so.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I honestly loved this. Maybe it was because it was a surprise considering I am not much of a fan of many non-reality CBS shows.

I thought all the main characters were immediately likable which made the whole thing really fun to watch. 

I already love the Mark/Lola relationship. I'm not sure I really believe the writers won't go there eventually. On the one hand, I am super down for them being best friends but I won't lie and say I wouldn't be super down for them going romantic. I'll ship Wilson Bethel with anyone!

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I want to like this because Ruthie Ann Miles who plays the JA last year and a half has so goddamn heartbreaking that I just want all things good for her but I found this boring that I don’t know if I will watch a second episode.

OMG, how heartbreaking!  I'm not familiar with the actress but her character was an immediate favorite with me.

I liked the pilot.  It didn't really present anything new but sometimes there can be a comfort in that.  The characters were all likable, though the Emily character seems a little high-strung which could get annoying after a while.  And I liked the dynamic between Mark and Lola; they make believable friends to me.  There is only a two year difference in the actors' ages so they can definitely pass as old law school friends...or even just friends who worked for years together in the DA's office. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I found most of the characters likeable so I'll give it a few more episodes. Lola has potential to be great as long as they don't get to tropey with her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I already love the Mark/Lola relationship. I'm not sure I really believe the writers won't go there eventually.

I liked them a lot, they had a really natural rapport and it feels like they've known each other for a long time and really just like being around each other. I would be happy if they just stayed friends without any sexual tension or an almost kiss that leads to awkwardness, I would enjoy just a good old fashioned platonic friendship.

That being said...I could be persuaded if thats what direction the show ends up going in!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On 9/24/2019 at 12:37 PM, Whimsy said:

I also think this had a case of pilot-itis.  I thought it was TOO energetic, more frenetic.  I also totally did not feel the "friendship" between Lola and Mark (I had to look up his name, but Wilson Bethel's character).  They tried hard with the dialogue but I just don't feel any friendship chemistry there. 

Also, I'm sorry, but if a cop is planting evidence or trying to hide where it was found in order to "prove" the guilt, they need to held accountable, not given a pass.  I know that dealing with the fallout of all her other cases would be a nightmare, but WHO CARES?  She could've gotten tons of people falsely convicted.  I also don't think that defendant (again, forgetting names) should've been let off with a slap on the wrist.  She was still an accomplice.  Yeah, her mom was totally a shitty mom, but that girl is an adult now.  I guess I'm a little too black and white for the law and/or politics, heh. 

I did like the beginning with Lola freaking out about the girl not having pants, though.  That was an outrage. 

I agree, From the first bits of dialog I was thinking nobody talks like that. However I can see the friendship of the two office mates when one moves to her dream job of being a judge. 

The Assistant Chief just seemed all wrong from his beard to the him and the Presiding Judge conspiring. It wasn't an I will take care of this but more of the Blue wall forming which then contradicts the detective coming back with I can do no wrong as a women which seems like a plot from the 80s. She wouldn't be the first officer whose entire history came into question  that California had to clean up in the aftermath.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, walnutqueen said:

I was about to say - I remembered that real life pantsless case right away. It went viral. Here's the video. The judge also rejected the defendant's recommended sentence, saying it was "ridiculous" (too harsh) and gave her a small fine and time served. 

I haven't seen Marg Helgenberger since CSI. She's had some work done.

I know it was obvious but I cracked up when Lola tripped going up to the bench.

I enjoyed seeing the former prosecutor-turned-criminal defense attorney from Law and Order, though I don't like his beard.

I'm not sure how I feel about this - it felt very jumbled, which is an issue with pilots - they have to set everything up so they cram everything into the first episode. I always give new shows two episodes unless I hate them from the get, so I'll watch another.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My reluctance to watch almost anything on CBS clashed with my practice of giving anything with diverse leads a watch, so I gave it a chance and liked it a lot. Maybe the fact that it was on CBS  prepared me for the moralizing or it was it was acted well and was believable. It does happen in the real world.Good, even for a pilot. Simone Missick is a talent! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that this first episode suffered from Pilot-itis....but it gave me enough to give it a second chance. I'm definitely enacting my Six Episode Rule with this show (give the show six episodes to see if I stick with it long-term).

I thought Lola was a solid enough character, and the actress is very charming. I also adore Wilson Bethel. I haven't watched a lot of his shows (I never got into Hart of Dixie) but I thought Mark had some charm to him. I wouldn't be surprised if Lola/Mark got together but if the showrunners are insistent on keeping them apart, then I hope they succeed, because they seem awesome as basically best friends and I would love to see them stay that way for the series (especially if it lasts multiple seasons).

I wasn't a huge fan of Lopez, to be honest. I definitely wasn't a fan of Sherri, but I hope those two women grow on me.

All in all, ok pilot, not the best, but also enough to keep me interested for a little while.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I liked the bailiff-to-be-lawyer, but I don't really like Lola's best friend. I think he's smarmy. Punching your deadbeat dad is not a charming quirk. It's flat out stupid bullshit.

I also think that the public defender with the abusive ex is too rattled all the time. She's got to pull it together because the franticness is making her seem like an incompetent ditz, not someone who's an adult but under a lot of stress. Hiding the oil stain is just stupid. Grow up! It's not like she's a teenager, or isolated and without resources or friendly people she could turn to for support.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 9/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, mommalib said:

I totally agree about the cop. And I also didn't see any chemistry between Lola and Mark and I have a feeling they are gonna try and shove it down our throat.

This is funny.  Usually with most male/female co-leads I do not see chemistry, but it was the exact opposite for me in this show. I mean, they're two hot people with a mutual respect for each other and witty rapport. Isn't that usually the basis for characters with chemistry? I could totally ship them together.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, Irlandesa said:

Save those for people we care about.

I actually did care about the defendant, even after her case was dismissed. I mean, here she was ready to go to jail in order to protect her mother from going to prison. I also appreciated the judge telling the girl that her mother wasn't worth keeping in her life. I mean, that's a hard thing to hear, but it was the truth. 

On 9/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, meatball77 said:

Rocket Ramano as a judge was entertaining.  Felt like the exact same character.

Is it weird that every time I see him I go straight to remembering him as that sweet, shy, gay boy in Fame? I don't even think of ER. Part of me was so happy to see that he had grown up and was doing well now, then I remembered this is a TV show and not real life.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:30 AM, TVForever said:

As many roles as I've seen him in since then, whenever his face pops up, Robinette is the first person that comes to mind, and its been 25 years since then!

Same thing goes for me with Robinette. When I first heard the voice I immediately knew it was Paul, but when they showed the actor I was still trying to figure out where Paul was. Took me a minute to convince myself that it was really him.  Either way, part of me was curious how Paul managed to go from being NY prosecutor, to defense attorney, and now police chief in LA.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, possibilities said:

I also think that the public defender with the abusive ex is too rattled all the time.

I agree with this. I hope she starts getting her shit together soon. 

Edited by piccadilly83
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'd been putting this off while I caught up on other new shows because the previews were setting my teeth on edge. Didn't find the episode itself any more enjoyable - rather than an ABC vibe, I'm a actually getting more of a USA one, in the quirkiness-as-substitute-for-actual-character-development sense that most of their recent shows trot out.

But I'll stick around to see if it evens out, largely because of Romano and Andy Flynn.

And yes, the feel-good scene was ridiculous - I don't know whether I'm more annoyed that she got off too easy, since she was actually an accomplice to the crime, or at the judge's blithe confidence that she'll have no problems from here on out ('fierce mama energy' is all well and good, but it's not going to keep her from having to pay through the nose for non-relative childcare).

Edited by Emma9

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size