Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Top 4 Perform

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

LOL!!  On a previous week thread, I pointed out how Madison does not have musicality.  She was also always hard hitting.  There were no light and shade or dynamics.

Same! I actually find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't immediately notice that.

I think Nigel even said that Travis was a good technician.  I'm not sure if he praised Benji for his swing technique.

Well, Benji, Heidi, Allison, and I'd say Ivan were better technicians in their own genre than Travis in his. 

Wanted to clarify that even though I think the really good hip-hop people have good musicality and are good performers, I didn't mean that they were always the best ones during their season.  I loved Billy Bell and Ellenore.  But I also really love ballet dancers like Danny, Alex, Eliana, and Jim for their technique and solos.  And even though I liked Ellenore, I did like Jakob too. but mostly his duets.  I remember liking Mark's quirkiness or Cole's fusion during their solos.  I also remember Jeanine's solos and duets. 

Yes, I understood that, I pointed them out any way because I've got fond memories of their solos. I never found Jakob impressive as he was too contrived imo.

I was mostly just mentioning hip-hop dancers because sometimes they don't get enough respect.  Thank you for the link.  I read the first post and that was basically what I was trying to say in a lot of my posts on this thread.   Will read the rest of it later.  

I agree they never get the respect on this show. And that post from Enychica and all her other posts are exactly what I was referring to.

Edited by displayname
3 hours ago, cali1981 said:

All four kids are terrific.  No matter who wins, their futures are secured.  I suspect that Bailey will end up dancing with some of the top crews in the country.  Gino, Sophie and Mariah will be in very heavy demand by choreographers. What will be interesting will be to see if any of them follow in the footsteps of so many SYTYCD alumni who have gone on to solid careers on Broadway. With some additional seasoning and training all three appear to have the chops to do it.

No future is secure.  

• Love 2

Ugh, poor Sophie with that "I put my underwear on outside my clothes" outfit.  The only explanation I can think of is that they discovered too late that the original design was immodest in a way Sophie didn't want to wear or they didn't want to show and they had to add either the under or the over parts or both.  The sheer part of the lower half continued up her torso and I wonder if it was too sheer without whatever they added?  Anyway, it wasn't fair to her.  

• Love 1

I have been watching this season casually; just watching the dance clips. But I have to say, Sophie's dance with Marko is the best routine of the whole season. It was reminiscent of old SYTYCD routines where the choreo, dancers and music all come together to produce a perfect piece of art. I am with Dominic that it deserves to be nominated for an Emmy. From start to end, it was electrifying. There have been some good routines this season but almost all of them have certain parts of the dance that takes me out because of a lack of connection/ chemistry or uncertainty on the part of the dancers. But Sophie nailed this one from start to finish and the emotions are just right. Marko, that amazing man, always brings out the best in his partners, while smashing it himself. He's the perfect All Star. 

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 5

Only just weekend have I finally caught up watching all the episodes.  Such a relief to see the top 4 have made strides to give a respectable showing.  Sorry Sophie, but even with the progress you would not be the top girl in many, many dance studios across the country.  It's clear this experience has been broadening and eye opening for you, and thank goodness considering you've moved across the country to pursue this professionally. 

Can't help but notice the comments about the same things I feel have not lived up to show standards this season.  Lighting of too many numbers was either too low or did not provide the contrast to see and appreciate the moves fully.   That has been shocking to me because the show has always excelled in lighting the pieces, I think even won awards for it several times.  Earlier in the season I mentioned the fact that costuming really shows the starvation budget, but that's no excuse for Sophie's tragic outfit. 

Absolutely agree that it's one of the few times Comfort hasn't had to dial it back as an all star and it was a treat watching her give it the gas in her number with Bailey -- and watch him keep up.  Clearly we were sold a bill of goods about his training experience.   

Jazz is certainly having a moment this season.  I guess they're paying attention to the contemporary and even hip hop burnout.

1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Only just weekend have I finally caught up watching all the episodes.  Such a relief to see the top 4 have made strides to give a respectable showing.  Sorry Sophie, but even with the progress you would not be the top girl in many, many dance studios across the country.  It's clear this experience has been broadening and eye opening for you, and thank goodness considering you've moved across the country to pursue this professionally. 

Can't help but notice the comments about the same things I feel have not lived up to show standards this season.  Lighting of too many numbers was either too low or did not provide the contrast to see and appreciate the moves fully.   That has been shocking to me because the show has always excelled in lighting the pieces, I think even won awards for it several times.  Earlier in the season I mentioned the fact that costuming really shows the starvation budget, but that's no excuse for Sophie's tragic outfit. 

Absolutely agree that it's one of the few times Comfort hasn't had to dial it back as an all star and it was a treat watching her give it the gas in her number with Bailey -- and watch him keep up.  Clearly we were sold a bill of goods about his training experience.   

Jazz is certainly having a moment this season.  I guess they're paying attention to the contemporary and even hip hop burnout.

My favorite Jazz number to date for all 16 seasons has to be Gino and Bailey's, "Girl From Ipanema". The story telling was off the charts.

Just thought....was that Jazz or was that Broadway?

Edited by luvthepros
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

My favorite Jazz number to date for all 16 seasons has to be Gino and Bailey's, "Girl From Ipanema". The story telling was off the charts.

I loved the number as well.  It also read very Broadway to me as well.

Another jazz piece I loved from past seasons was Amelia Lowe and Will Thomas several seasons back doing Lovecats  (it used the dumpster prop).  For some reason I've seen it listed as hip hop, but for me it straight up jazz number, and a fun one. 

ETA  Another one that popped in my mind is Neil Haskell and Lauren Gottlieb doing the comic book style angel/devil Jazz number that I believe was choreographed by Wade. 

Edited by Tikichick
4 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I remember Ryan and Evan Kasprzcak saying, in an interview, that what the show calls Broadway is in fact jazz, that there's no such thing as "Broadway style." One of my pet peeves with this show is its melding of jazz and contemporary. Jazz dancing has syncopation and isolations, which Bailey & Gino demonstrated beautifully. 

• Love 1
On 9/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, displayname said:

I thought it was discussed that the contemporary on the show was competition style lyrical jazz. It's only now starting to blend a variety of different techniques, including hip hop, to give a contemporary, mish mash outlook on dance. The "broadway" is an attempt at more classical jazz (although not always).

• Love 1