Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Joy


Recommended Posts

Quote

Miles tries to help the God Account’s new friend, Joy, figure out what the account wants from her after she receives her first friend suggestion since getting Miles’ name – a soldier on leave in New York. Also, Simon helps Cara reconnect with an important person from her past while she’s in Paris; Rakesh settles into his new role as head of Research & Development at IdentitySeal; and Trish is concerned when Arthur is reluctant to buy a new home with his fiancée and sell the house where he raised his family.

Season two premiere, airing Sunday, September 29, 2019, on CBS - check your DVRs in case sports over runs!

Link to comment

On 9/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, saoirse said:

Season two premiere, airing Sunday, September 29, 2019, on CBS - check your DVRs in case sports over runs!

FWIW, in my Chicagoland (Central Time) area, TitanTV is showing a start time of 7:30 for this week with next week starting at 7.

However, CBS and all affiliates have been off the air here for several days, so I may have to try to catch it online.

Edited by shapeshifter
Link to comment

Lots of familiar and good feelings in this ep.  Serendipity are us.

The one thing that really bugged was the insistence of the Rev's fiancee to physically move as a condition of marriage.  If the spectre of a widower's "ghost" is all that, there is no basis for a new sacred commitment.  

I had thought for sure that the house belonged to the Church.  It boggles that the Rev had the wherewithal to own the first place and also buy that second one - which would have been in the ballpark of 7 figures itself.

I wish they would have kept the tension of the standoffish Joy for awhile, at least.  That was an interesting dynamic.  Maybe that will later be brought in through her Korean and assumedly "old-school" parents?

I have no interest in the Annie/Simon arc.  There better not be a wedding on the horizon.

What was that linen on a pulley system window thingy?   It was driving me nuts.

It really was dirty, dirty pool for Miles to tell the recruiting buddy the specifics of Fremont's condition.  Good thing Caffey was a private (he never would be IRL) because a Sergeant would have seen right through the threat and told him and Joy where they could stick their UCMJ gambit.

Rakesh groomed and costumed to be a heart throb.  God is good, eh?

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Our little feel good show is back, but poor Cara is dragging us down with her blue mood.  She is understandably preoccupied and pining for Miles but I miss her luminous smile.

So the God account brings Joy in to step in for Cara while she's away, or so it seems.  Both have investigative personalities (journalist, lawyer) and both came to NY looking for someone (mother, daughter).  I hope the show doesn't end up giving Cara a reason to be jealous and suspicious that Joy is getting too close to Miles, because it would be another way to keep them apart and we already know the show loves to do that.

Once again I don't trust Simon Hayes.  Everything keeps coming back to him and that looks suspicious.  His and Cara's lives are intertwined in several ways already, now once again with the reporter in Paris.  So the God account was operating before it friended Miles on Facebook.  It looks like the God account goes way back in all these people's lives and may even pre-exist a Facebook account.  That may provide some hope for believers that the real God is behind it.  Also, the fact that Annie never sent the message to Cara about where to look for her mother thickens the plot somewhat.  This is behavior we didn't know the God account has engaged in.  It makes me wonder what ELSE it has done that no one knows anything about.

It looks to me like the God account dropped Miles so he could help Joy and have a first hand understanding of how Private James feels in finding his purpose helping people only to suddenly feel like it's over.  Only it wasn't just his health impacting his career that James was talking about, but his being dropped by the woman he loved - Neither we nor Miles knew that until later.  Now that Miles has helped Joy and James it looks like the God account is coming back to him directly.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I had thought for sure that the house belonged to the Church.  It boggles that the Rev had the wherewithal to own the first place and also buy that second one - which would have been in the ballpark of 7 figures itself.

If he owned the first house for what was probably 30 years and sold it, he'd have made a killing, but I don't think he sold it before he bought the new one. The fact that he sold it is killing me, though. I can understand Arthur's fiancee not wanting to live in the shadow of Arthur's widow, but IMO Arthur should have held onto the house. I would want to hold onto that house and pass it on to Miles and his sister, whose name I am forgetting. A brownstone with no mortgage, or only a few years left on the mortgage, in rapidly gentrifying (ugh) Harlem is really, really valuable. He should have rented it out, not sold it. That's the kind of real estate you pass down for generations.

Cara's adventures are not interesting to me at all, and it seems they're going to be there for a while.

I liked Joy just completely circumventing Miles's tactics of asking questions and getting to know people (I find him/the actor incredibly charming) and being like "So you need help or nah?" I laughed.

  • Love 7
Link to comment

7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I had thought for sure that the house belonged to the Church.  It boggles that the Rev had the wherewithal to own the first place and also buy that second one - which would have been in the ballpark of 7 figures itself.

I know, I had assumed all along that the house was a rectory that was part of the church property.  It certainly looks like one and in my experience most Episcopal priests live in the rectory if there is one and that church would most likely have one.  I feel like we talked about this last season but I don't remember if anything about it was mentioned on the show concerning the reason he owned his own house.  I agree with you about how unrealistic it would be for Arthur to have the money to put down on the new house without first selling the old one.  He's a priest, not a billionaire, LOL.  Maybe a bridge loan?  Whatever.

I also found the Paris apartment Cara is living in unrealistic too.  Like how could she afford the quintessential dream Paris apartment with an up-close view of the Eiffel Tower?  Give me a break.

7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

What was that linen on a pulley system window thingy?   It was driving me nuts.

It amazes me that people are just noticing this now because it was there all last season and annoying me although I never mentioned it here.  It looks like a deconstructed kite re-purposed into an artsy-fartsy bottom-up shade.  Or sailcloth?  Who knows?

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Well, the thing I really liked was Joy asking for Miles to sign a NDA. I love the show but it has always bugged me a bit how he dragged very private moments into his podcast. I guess we just had to assume he had the okay of the parties concerned but that was quite some hand waving. Glad to see that it finally got addressed with a touch of real world.

Of course Cara gets an apartment with a view on the Eiffel Tower - I guess Hayes is paying for that. And getting your life destroyed by him isn't that bad either. You get to live in a cute little house near the Eiffel Tower as well with a job in a little art gallery in Paris. This show does like its location porn and that's not even mentioning Arthur's estate-related shenanigans.

Glad the show is back even though I have no idea where they are going with Joy. I trust the show enough to hope we're not heading for another tedious love triangle. And I'm intrigued by the revelation (he!) about the God account's past and its new rather brash actions in this episode.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I can understand Arthur's fiancee not wanting to live in the shadow of Arthur's widow, but IMO Arthur should have held onto the house. I would want to hold onto that house and pass it on to Miles and his sister, whose name I am forgetting. A brownstone with no mortgage, or only a few years left on the mortgage, in rapidly gentrifying (ugh) Harlem is really, really valuable. He should have rented it out, not sold it. That's the kind of real estate you pass down for generations.

We don't know yet if Arthur sold or will sell the house, do we?  All I remember is him buying the new house.  Maybe he will keep the old one or rent it/give it to his kids, who knows?

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I also found the Paris apartment Cara is living in unrealistic too.  Like how could she afford the quintessential dream Paris apartment with an up-close view of the Eiffel Tower?

I assumed Simon was paying for it. He is a billionaire, after all!

I read that the show did film in Paris for a few days, getting establishing shots, but Paris looked very fake to me (I lived there). I did like that Simon said " the 17th [arrondissement/neighborhood]", as that is what people say. "Where do you live?" "I live in the 8th."

  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I assumed Simon was paying for it. He is a billionaire, after all!

I read that the show did film in Paris for a few days, getting establishing shots, but Paris looked very fake to me (I lived there). I did like that Simon said " the 17th [arrondissement/neighborhood]", as that is what people say. "Where do you live?" "I live in the 8th."

I didn't think of Simon paying for it, you're right, that's probably the case.  It did look fake even to someone that hasn't lived there, though.  I think Carrie's Paris apartment in SATC looked more realistic.  My dad lived in Paris for a while and told me about the arrondissements.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I have no interest in the Annie/Simon arc.  There better not be a wedding on the horizon.

I hear you, but I wonder just how she found out about what Simon did.  It wouldn't surprise me if she was an ex of his or they have some other kind of past, maybe related to his work that we don't know about yet.  It would be like this show for that to be the case.  It's a tangled web with this cast.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

We don't know yet if Arthur sold or will sell the house, do we?  All I remember is him buying the new house.  Maybe he will keep the old one or rent it/give it to his kids, who knows?

If he tries to hold onto it, he would be crucified by the jealous/mistrustful Trish for refusing to actually let go of his ended marriage.  I am fine with the perfectly understandable angst/concern she has about marrying a recent widower.  I am not fine with a Reverend who has seen this stuff play out and refuses to see it for what it is:  A significant lack of trust.  Faith, even.

The revelation that "God" had been at it well before any of our intrepid heroes were brought in is most definitely a nod to the possibility of an actual Divinity at work.  It is much appreciated by me.  By the way, did y'all know there was a time in history before Facebook existed?  It's true!

  • Love 3
Link to comment

So glad my comfort show is back! Even with some angst (mostly around Miles and Cara missing each other) and some questionable moments from our heroes (maybe dont tell people confidential medical info Miles?) I still loved the episode and I am so happy to see everyone again. 

Joy is an interesting addition to the show, I hope that she can keep a bit of an edge even as she starts helping people with the God Account. Most people on this show are really good kind sweet people, that its fun to have someone who is blunt and more cynical around to play off them. I love the differences in how she and Miles try to help people. Miles is an outgoing people person who gets to know people and their lives to see how he can help them, while Joy, who is much more blunt and less obviously a people person, just straight up wants to ask people whats wrong with them!

I hope that this doesent turn into some kind of love triangle with Joy, Miles, and Cara, I feel like this show is better than that. At least I hope it is. Glad to see that Cara and Miles are going strong, even long distance. Wow, that apartment Cara has is to die for! I guess writing a book for a famous billionaire has its benefits! At least, I assume Simon is footing the bills or no way could Cara afford that place.

Rakeshs new job sure does suit him! He is looking good! Of course Miles is still my main crush from this show. His smile just makes the world brighter!

So the God Account might have been behind Cara moving to New York in the first place? Its been pulling the strings for even longer than we previously thought apparently! Oh God Account, you sure do work in mysterious ways!

  • Love 9
Link to comment

It looks like I'll be watching delayed this season....

Glad the show is back! I was amused by the mentions of "Season 2"... of the podcast.

I miss Cara being with the team -- did we have a name for them? I hope she's back soon, because it sucks that Miles & Cara are together now, but we barely got to see them together before, and now they are separated.

I don't see any hints that they are going to try a love triangle with Joy, and I don't think this show would do that anyway.

Joy seems to be the "new Miles" for this season; but I hope her journey is interesting and different, not just a retread of Miles' journey. It is nice, new dynamic that Miles has to mentor someone else, so I'm interested in seeing that. At least as a waitress, Joy has a better excuse for being able to run around the city whenever!

I think they mentioned Miles isn't working for IdentitySeal anymore, so I hope they address his employment at some point, because a podcast isn't going to cover NYC rent.

As someone else mentioned, I liked how they paralled the soldier's experience to what Miles was going through.

I guess the God Account(?) sending the facebook message is an intriguing new wrinkle, but I think I would have liked it better if Cara's mother's friend had just sent it. But then again, I've never really been into the mystery of who is behind the God Account. Also, connecting Simon to her seemed like an unnecessary complication.

It's TV, so I guess I'm supposed to just handwave it, but a former reverend just buying a new house in that real estate market for the wife he's not even married to yet seemed implausible to me. Plus the other issues people brought up here.

But anyway... I'd almost forgotten that we have a wedding episode to look forward to this season! Perfect opportunity for relationship DRAMA! (For any or all of the couples we have now.)

Weekly shoutout to the wardrobe and hair departments, everyone looked good, but no one outfit really wowed me in this.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/2/2019 at 2:38 PM, Trini said:

It looks like I'll be watching delayed this season....

Glad the show is back! I was amused by the mentions of "Season 2"... of the podcast.

I miss Cara being with the team -- did we have a name for them? I hope she's back soon, because it sucks that Miles & Cara are together now, but we barely got to see them together before, and now they are separated.

I don't see any hints that they are going to try a love triangle with Joy, and I don't think this show would do that anyway.

Joy seems to be the "new Miles" for this season; but I hope her journey is interesting and different, not just a retread of Miles' journey. It is nice, new dynamic that Miles has to mentor someone else, so I'm interested in seeing that. At least as a waitress, Joy has a better excuse for being able to run around the city whenever!

I think they mentioned Miles isn't working for IdentitySeal anymore, so I hope they address his employment at some point, because a podcast isn't going to cover NYC rent.

As someone else mentioned, I liked how they paralled the soldier's experience to what Miles was going through.

I guess the God Account(?) sending the facebook message is an intriguing new wrinkle, but I think I would have liked it better if Cara's mother's friend had just sent it. But then again, I've never really been into the mystery of who is behind the God Account. Also, connecting Simon to her seemed like an unnecessary complication.

It's TV, so I guess I'm supposed to just handwave it, but a former reverend just buying a new house in that real estate market for the wife he's not even married to yet seemed implausible to me. Plus the other issues people brought up here.

But anyway... I'd almost forgotten that we have a wedding episode to look forward to this season! Perfect opportunity for relationship DRAMA! (For any or all of the couples we have now.)

Weekly shoutout to the wardrobe and hair departments, everyone looked good, but no one outfit really wowed me in this.

Joy is a lawyer, not a waitress.  

I actively dislike Joy.  I think she's rude and has no social skills at all.  I hope she softens up over the season although I'd rather she just goes away entirely.  I love the original crew and don't think we need anyone else, including Simon.  I don't think he's interesting either. 

I also don't care at all who is behind the God Account.  I kind wish they would just be like "who cares- let's just help people!" 

Link to comment

22 hours ago, Trini said:

She said she quit being a public defender and moved to NYC, where she is now working as a waitress.

Shows how much I pay attention to her.  I just can't stand her so I don't really listen to her when she talks. 

Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...