Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Whimsy

S39 Janet Carbin

Recommended Posts

image.png.eaf834b96813cb7250391e054929d4ba.png

From CBS.com

Janet Carbin

Biography

Age: 59
Hometown: Neptune, New Jersey
Current residence: Palm Bay, Florida
Occupation: Chief Lifeguard

Hobbies: Body surfing, softball, and rowing lifeguard boats.

Pet peeves: Laziness and being wasteful.

Three words to describe you: Aggressive, enthusiastic, and vivacious.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Saving many lives in the ocean and of course, my kids and my grandchildren.

Who or what is your inspiration in life?
Tina Turner. She walked out and made no excuses—and made it big.

What's one thing we wouldn't know from seeing a photo of you?
I come off tough and stern... not true.

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
Stephenie, because she's athletic.

What's your primary motivation for being on Survivor?
It's my dream. And the money!

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
Because I can read people and I have the necessary skills, athletically and socially.

Share this post


Link to post

I think Janet was the MVP of episode 1.  

She got the tribe organized.

She made fire without flint.

She nailed the grappling hook on her first try.

She helped Kellee figure out how to deal with Handsy Dan.  

At first sight, she was probably looked at as an early or even the first boot by most of her tribemates, but she totally turned that around and showed herself to be a valuable likable tribe member. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think Janet was the MVP of episode 1.  

She got the tribe organized.

She made fire without flint.

She nailed the grappling hook on her first try.

She helped Kellee figure out how to deal with Handsy Dan.  

At first sight, she was probably looked at as an early or even the first boot by most of her tribemates, but she totally turned that around and showed herself to be a valuable likable tribe member. 

Yep, in an episode heavily featuring 'rookie mistakes' (I guess to emphasize the need for mentors, ha ha), she made none - quite the reverse. I hope she goes far.

Edited by violet and green · Reason: typo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was actually impressed that the older woman got a likable, capable edit for once.  I know the argument will be 'well it helps to be likable', but really, older women don't always get the best treatment when it comes to portrayal.  I don't think being that unlikable or weak has much to do with it.  I kept waiting for the editors to turn it around and suddenly she became bossy or demanding or fell once during a challenge (and have Probst make a big deal about it on the sidelines).

We'll see what next week brings, but definitely one of my favorites so far.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

When I heard her say that as an older woman she knew she had a target on her back so she planned to stand out,  I screamed nooooooo.  But that was because I thought she was going to stand out by being bossy, telling everyone where to put the machetes, losing the fishing gear, supervising the building of the shelter  and spreading their clothes all over the beach.   It never occurred to me she was going to stand out by being awesome.  Fantastic!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

When I heard her say that as an older woman she knew she had a target on her back so she planned to stand out,  I screamed nooooooo.  But that was because I thought she was going to stand out by being bossy, telling everyone where to put the machetes, losing the fishing gear, supervising the building of the shelter  and spreading their clothes all over the beach.   It never occurred to me she was going to stand out by being awesome.  Fantastic!

I had the same initial reaction.  I was afraid she was going to stand out in a negative way...,basically go full Reem.

Then, when I saw she was going to try to make fire without flint, I realized she had the right idea.  When she succeeded, I was really happy for her.  She is my favorite, so far.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I watch the show with my 13 and 15 year old boys who tend to favor the younger male players (Wendell is their favorite).  But they both think Janet is awesome and the best player there right now.  They were impressed when she said she managed 130 lifeguards, awestruck when she made fire, and completely won over with the grappling hook.  (Jack is their second favorite though, so they haven’t strayed too far from trend).

But I love that they loved Janet!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I really liked Janet and I'm glad she was able to prove her value to the tribe.  Hopefully, she will have a good strategic game, too.  Is this the first season that was cast since the old casting director left or was fired? The contestants seem a lot more like "real people" than the past however-many seasons of models and younger people.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

I really liked Janet and I'm glad she was able to prove her value to the tribe.  Hopefully, she will have a good strategic game, too.  Is this the first season that was cast since the old casting director left or was fired? The contestants seem a lot more like "real people" than the past however-many seasons of models and younger people.

Yes, this is the first season not cast by Lynn Spielman (not sure if that's how you spell it).  So far I'd say it's an improvement. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...