Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S28: James Van Der Beek: Dawson Does Dancing

James Van Der Beek is a writer, actor and producer who launched his acting career on the New York stage at age 16 to rave reviews in an original work by Edward Albee. He made his big-screen debut the following year in the movie Angus, but is perhaps best known for starring in the hit films Varsity Blues, the cult classic The Rules of Attraction and as the title character in the series Dawson's Creek, which ran for six seasons and continues to syndicate around the globe. Most recently, Van Der Beek co-created, wrote, show-ran and starred in Vice's first scripted series, What Would Diplo Do?, which scored over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. He portrayed Matt Bromley in the FX original series Pose from Ryan Murphy, which debuted to critical and commercial acclaim and was nominated for a Golden Globe®, Critics Choice and Gotham Awards, and won a GLAAD Award, AFI Award and a Peabody.  Van Der Beek's other television credits include HBO's series Room 104, created by Jay and Mark Duplass; Don't Trust the B**** in Apartment 23, Friends with Better Lives, Criminal Minds, How I Met Your Mother and Law & Order: Criminal Intent, among many others. He is also the voice of Boris on Disney Junior's hit animated series Vampirina. Van Der Beek has done a variety of work on the big screen, including the cult classic Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Backwards, Formosa Betrayed, Jason Reitman's Labor Day and Alexander Payne's Downsizing.

Dancing with Emma Slater.

I was never a Dawson's Creek person, but I like him as a person.  He's the only reason I'm actually watching this season.  I now wait for the Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 shout outs where he "competed" on DWTS against his nemesis, Dean Cain. 

• Like 2

I spent nearly 20 years actively disliking him because he seemed like a total douche during his Dawson days. Don’t Trust the B and James van der Memes really turned me around on him though. He was so good last night too! I figured he’d be out pretty early, because his nostalgic fan base would be split with Kel Mitchell, but I think he could go far!

• Like 2

If you ever want to see him play against his Dawson typecast, watch his two Criminal Minds episodes. I’m STILL freaked out by them. He was phenomenal (in a completely whacked out, terrifying way)

• Like 7

15 hours ago, irisheyes said:

If you ever want to see him play against his Dawson typecast, watch his two Criminal Minds episodes. I’m STILL freaked out by them. He was phenomenal (in a completely whacked out, terrifying way)

YES. It's so weird to see him in that setting. He's not considered one of the show's more memorable guest stars for nothing!

• Like 2

Has he danced before? He said something about having a theater background. I never heard anything about him being a ringer before the show, so I was surprised by how good he was.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Has he danced before? He said something about having a theater background. I never heard anything about him being a ringer before the show, so I was surprised by how good he was.

I did look up James' history. It seems like his mom was a former dancer, so he may have inherited some of her dance ability. But it also doesn't mean that he did any dance himself. As far as I can see, the most dancing he would have done is some minor dancing while performing in theatre performances, if there was any. 

ETA: LOL, I found this article from 2012, right around the time he filmed his faux DWTS stuff for Don't Trust the B.

And although he had a “blast” filming the faux “DWTS” experience and actually had to learn to dance, he told the magazine he doesn’t think he’ll use his new skills on the real show.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Like 2