Type keyword(s) to search

The Best of Veronica Mars

• Start Topic

This is the place to talk about your favorite aspects of the series: favorite characters, favorite romantic and platonic relationships, favorite mysteries, favorite seasons, favorite episodes, favorite use of music, favorite method of converting new fans :) 

Here's a question to kick us off: If you could watch just 5-10 VM episodes for the rest of your life, what would they be...and why? (Warning: I have somewhat odd taste!) 

(edited)

Ooh, I like this.

1. "Pilot", obviously. It's awesome.

2. "Weapons of Class Destruction." I'm a sucker for the kiss and protective Logan, love the main plot, love the Duncan/Veronica fight, and it has Jonathan Taylor Thomas, which my inner child demands. "Momentary Thing" is just beautiful, which I never would have known if not for this episode. Oh, and Norris!

3. "Leave It To Beaver." I like the conclusions to the mysteries. The goodbye to Lilly is a beautiful scene, Logan just breaks my heart throughout the episode, the awesome use of "Bad Boyfriend." And this episode is the reason I remember to check my backseat in case Harry Hamlin's hiding back there. Don't judge me!

4. "Not Pictured."  - "You're not a killer, Veronica." The roof scene is my favorite in the entire series. 

5. "Spit and Eggs"  I love the use of "Right Here, Right Now." Veronica stabs a rapist with a unicorn. Parker gets her moment of heroism and justice by yelling "Rape!" at Mercer and saving Veronica. Logan gets to beat the crap out of Mercer and Moe (offscreen). I also love how Veronica snarks on how people won't come running at the rape whistle, but then not only does Parker come, but about a dozen guys come out into the hallway when she screams too.  

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 3
(edited)

I love your choices, @bettername2come! I'm also impressed that you could narrow your list down to just five :) 

I've been rewatching the series, and I'd say the ones I'm most attached to (despite knowing in many cases they aren't the 'best' episodes!) are, in chronological order...

1) Pilot 

2) You Think You Know Somebody---One of my all-time favorites...don't even ask how many times I've seen it :) So clever, so engaging, so much packed into the episode without it feeling excessively rushed (this show has a special knack for having more happen in any given episode than happens in the course of 5-6 episodes in most other shows, yet without feeling awkwardly paced or  overcrowded) 

3) An Echolls Family Christmas

4) Rat Saw God

5) One Angry Veronica (I've given up even trying to understand my love for this one, which I know many are meh on at best. It all just works for me, and Wallace returning just in time to bring in the New Year with an uncharacteristically emotional Veronica is one of my favorite scenes of the series. I adore their friendship to a rather ridiculous degree :) 

6) I Am God 

7) Not Pictured 

...there are so many more from all three seasons that I really like or even love, but I think these are the seven I'd take with me to watch over and over on my DVD-equipped desert island! Runners up include Clash of the Titrons, Silence of the Lamb, Leave it to Beaver, Rapes of Graff, Plan B, Charlie Don't Surf, Spit and Eggs...and about 15 others! 

I'm hoping others chime in on their special favorites while I ponder the even tougher question of which 5-10 episodes I like least...  

Edited by mstaken

I have favorite scenes/themes. Keith & Veronica is one of the themes.

Kanes and Abel's has several that fit and come to mind time & again. She walks in, and he tells her Clarence Wiedman paid him a visit. He related how he was confused -- CW was trying to put the screws on him, but Keith could not imagine why then and there.....until he realized it was his daughter that had spooked the hard-as-nails CW so badly that he reacted. The mix of awe & pride & concern in Keith's voice carried the scene.

Later, she's on the floor in front of the safe container, defeated, dejected, and despairing. Keith arrives, opens the safe, and sits with her to go over the case with her, as he never has before.

• Love 3

Have you guys seen Buzzfeed's ranking of every episode?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/anaisbordages/definitive-ranking-veronica-mars-episodes#.gaoQ18EQA

I know there's an inevitable amount of disagreement when it comes to these things, but I don't think I've ever disagreed THIS vehemently :) I really love both I Am God and You Think You Know Somebody and would easily rank both in my top 10...this reviewer named both as among the five worst episodes of he entire series! 

• Love 1

Have you guys seen Buzzfeed's ranking of every episode?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/anaisbordages/definitive-ranking-veronica-mars-episodes#.gaoQ18EQA

I know there's an inevitable amount of disagreement when it comes to these things, but I don't think I've ever disagreed THIS vehemently :) I really love both I Am God and You Think You Know Somebody and would easily rank both in my top 10...this reviewer named both as among the five worst episodes of he entire series! 

I hadn't yet! Thanks for the link. I will now spend my early afternoon obsessing about this! Yay! 

• Love 1

That reviewer also put a lot more of S3 in the top 15 than I would have! 

Pretty much the one part I liked was seeing that i'm not totally alone in really liking the unpopular One Angry Veronica :) Otherwise the writer and I were on very different proverbial pages. 

Which would you guys name as your very favorite episodes of the series??? Least favorites? 

• Love 1