Type keyword(s) to search

Gaming News

Kromm
  • Start Topic

That is a huge amount, yes. But Kotaku has some numbers.

Candy Crush is one of the most lucrative games in the world, earning some $1.33 billion in revenue in 2014 alone according to a King financial statement. The studio, which operates Candy Crush and a number of similar games including Bubble Witch and Farm Heroes, grossed $529 million in the second quarter of 2015.

When you think about those, it becomes somewhat less ridiculous.

Honestly, I think mobile gaming is the worst thing to happen to the videogame industry. You've got these countless, dreadfully unimaginative and cheaply made games that are 'free to play', but that you have to pump a steady stream of cash into for them to actually be fully playable. All just copying one another, and ripping off old game designs.

But I guess I'm just a gaming snob, who likes to see real passion and effort put into crafting something that is fun but also of some merit outside of being a way to waste time. There have been some stellar achievements in gaming over the last few years, with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age trilogies, The Last of Us, the Uncharted series, Bioshock: Infinite, Red Dead Redemption. And then, as far to the other end of the scale as you can possibly get, you have Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Boom Beach, or whatever the hell it's called.

• Love 1

Mobile Gaming and Casual Gaming are tightly related though, but not always strictly the same. 

Casual Gaming has it's time and place though, and even a heritage. You could call most of what was on original Nintendo or even Atari 2600, or Arcade Games in Arcades "Casual Gaming".  Most (although not all) GameBoy stuff. Or these...

qB7JjSm.jpg

If it's the "free to play but really need to pay for premium content that matters" model that you think is the industry wrecker though... I suppose even there you could debate it.  Most resource type games need those extras to be playable. But I don't think Candy Crush, the most famous puzzle based game, does.  Sure you can buy extra lives or special candy pieces to get through hard levels... but there's zero that isn't fairly playable without those (the truly hard levels are still hard even with the stuff you can buy to help out). 

On 3/11/2015 at 8:57 PM, Joe said:

Đó là một số tiền rất lớn, có. Nhưng Kotaku có một số con số .

Khi bạn nghĩ về những người, nó trở nên hơi ít vô lý.

Candy Crush is too horrible game. Years ago I had been addicted to this game, I spend most of my time playing. I wasn't surprised with the statistical the figure has

So, Skyrim Special Edition. Yeah, it's a bit prettier. Maybe it's just my computer, but I'm not blown away. In return, it's a little slower and I have to reinstall all my mods. Frankly, I'd rather play regular edition. What does everyone else think?

It'll be shown at E3 this year, which is in mid June. So even if it's ready this year, it won't be before July. Though I'm betting next year at best.

So I was watching Jim Sterling get stuck into Radical Heights. It looks like it's jumping on the battle royale bandwagon, this time with retro 80's styling. Basically, it apparently looks a lot like Fortnite. I'm not into the BR genre, but I thought, what's something different for the BR genre? Medieval fantasy. You've got all sorts of armour, with various amounts of weight and protection. You've got melee weapons, ranged weapons, and maybe spell books to pick up for ranged magical attacks. Set it in a medieval-ish village, like you see in Skyrim or Witcher. The most recent similar game I can think of is Mirage, by the Chivalry people. But that almost sunk without a trace.

If I had the slightest ability in programming, I might give it a go myself. But I don't, so I'm throwing it out there.

7 minutes ago, rainbowmonkey said:

I am surprised no one's saying anything about Fortnite! :\

I haven't played it. So you start. What news is there to talk about?

On 4/17/2018 at 11:47 AM, Joe said:

I haven't played it. So you start. What news is there to talk about?

They update it all the time and add some new features the server was recently down because someone hacked it. These are the recent news I can think about.

Edited by rainbowmonkey
On 11/4/2015 at 3:57 AM, Kromm said:

Mobile Gaming and Casual Gaming are tightly related though, but not always strictly the same. 

Casual Gaming has it's time and place though, and even a heritage. You could call most of what was on original Nintendo or even Atari 2600, or Arcade Games in Arcades "Casual Gaming".  Most (although not all) GameBoy stuff. Or these...

qB7JjSm.jpg

If it's the "free to play but really need to pay for premium content that matters" model that you think is the industry wrecker though... I suppose even there you could debate it.  Most resource type games need those extras to be playable. But I don't think Candy Crush, the most famous puzzle based game, does.  Sure you can buy extra lives or special candy pieces to get through hard levels... but there's zero that isn't fairly playable without those (the truly hard levels are still hard even with the stuff you can buy to help out). 

My Dad was addicted to this when I was quite young. Sunday used to be his game time. Nostalgic. 

Telltale Games is shutting down

Most of the staff were abruptly fired and apparently all announced games, including the in progress The Walking Dead:  The Final Season, have been canceled except the (IMO) shitty Minecraft:  Story Mode.  

I get that players are super angry about the cancellations, especially those of us who shelled out $20.00 for a game that's never going to be finished, but I'm more upset for the fired devs, artists and writers.  TPTB at Telltale knew the company was in trouble, rumor has it every game since first season of The Walking Dead flopped besides Minecraft, and they kept going like nothing was wrong up until a few days ago.  What a mess.

TellTale tweeted that Walking Dead:  TFS may be finished in some capacity.  I don't get why fans are so excited, besides a couple hundred people losing their jobs, the devs involved in making the game are gone.  Will these partners actually hire the talent behind the game or will they just finish what the previous devs started?

I played two or three chapters of their Game of Thrones game, and was incredibly disappointed. An illusion of free choice, in what really only amounted to minor changes in a story with a set narrative. Without that freedom, the gameplay itself was non-existent.

I never felt like trying out anything else they made.

Their three Sam & Max games were a whole ton of fun.  I only ever played the first season of The Walking Dead, but it was phenomenal and deserved every single award that it won.  I have a strange aversion to zombie stories that I can't explain(I've never seen TWD for this reason), but it was truly a rewarding experience.  It was more of a playable story than a game, so your liking of it may depend on your tolerance for that.

I never played a Telltale game, but this story appeared a few days ago. Arseholes at the top, constant pressure, and so on. The thing is, I'm sure I've read a dozen articles on the same lines over the last few years. Often with the same end. I have to wonder, do the people at the top read them? Do they know they're sabotaging their company? Even after the end, do they realise why they're looking for a new job? Essentially, do they ever learn?

OTOH, you rarely hear about companies that are going well. Have a few issues, but sort them out and get back to business. Bad news gets the headlines, of course.

• Love 2