Type keyword(s) to search

A Black Lady Sketch Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know I'm past the Auntie age because I had to look up what a bodycon dress is.  And the Millie Rock.  😭

Gabrielle is this season's MVP.  The gang retreat was better than the first and she owned the Auntie sketch, along with Laci as the fairy godmother.  I kept rewinding that one.  But the vampire/demon stuff at the end just felt like a poor way to shoehorn the rest of the cast into it.

The apocalypse side plot still doesn't make sense, but even worse, it's just not funny.  It wasn't that logical last season, but at least the cast was just hanging out and having fun, rather than trying to decipher it.  They need to take it in a new direction or just drop it.

I missed last week, has Laci been the lead in any of the sketches?  She seems really talented but she's always on the periphery and I feel like they spend more time with Skye.  Is it because Laci is doing the iCarly reboot?

• Love 2
On 5/18/2021 at 10:52 PM, Amethyst said:

I know I'm past the Auntie age because I had to look up what a bodycon dress is.  And the Millie Rock.  😭

Gabrielle is this season's MVP.  The gang retreat was better than the first and she owned the Auntie sketch, along with Laci as the fairy godmother.  I kept rewinding that one.  But the vampire/demon stuff at the end just felt like a poor way to shoehorn the rest of the cast into it.

The apocalypse side plot still doesn't make sense, but even worse, it's just not funny.  It wasn't that logical last season, but at least the cast was just hanging out and having fun, rather than trying to decipher it.  They need to take it in a new direction or just drop it.

I missed last week, has Laci been the lead in any of the sketches?  She seems really talented but she's always on the periphery and I feel like they spend more time with Skye.  Is it because Laci is doing the iCarly reboot?

Laci was the lead in the twerking sketch with Miguel.

I agree about Gabrielle being the MVP. Not only is her acting on point, but she's nearly age 40 and out here doing handstands, roundoffs, and splits. I'm jealous.

• Love 3

S02.E05: If I'm paying these Chili's prices, you cannot taste my steak!

A freshman navigates her first cafeteria lunch; a motivational speaker rouses a crowd; a woman tries a promising new hair salon.

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

S02.E05: If I'm paying these Chili's prices, you cannot taste my steak!

A freshman navigates her first cafeteria lunch; a motivational speaker rouses a crowd; a woman tries a promising new hair salon.

How is that motivational speaker not a cult leader? She's certainly in league with the Devil lol. The nail place dialogue was too fast for me to catch much other than the nail lady was trying to upsell services. That poor freshman trying to navigate lunch tables; the commentary was hilarious. Just why do Black women (reportedly) continue to go to the same salon when the service is not good, especially with late appointments? I'm sure there was a lot of nuance I wasn't catching with that sketch, though the perfect salon place made a lot pretty obvious that was missing at a regular place

The ongoing The Event sketch eludes me as to its purpose

• Love 2
(edited)

That I Wish A N---- Would sketch was inspired. Clever twist on the genie in a bottle.

A wine-based currency. It could happen if that's the only thing available in sufficient quantities to trade with.

Yeah, you don't want to be out here tumbleweeding in these streets with unruly hair. I flinched when she put that hot curling iron on her forehead. Funny how the mind can instantly retrieve memories of the smell of singed hair and skin.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

I think I liked the finale better than the previous episode; I guess I just found it funnier overall. The post-analysis of a date like it was a post-game news conference was pretty inspired. The fight over identical outfits worn by overweight women, the genie sketch, and the debate sketch were pretty good

I continue to cringe at the liberal use of the N word

• Love 1
(edited)

DTF Sports.

Are you tender-headed, Terrell?

That New Addition.

They didn't sing the Stevie version so now the birthday girl has to keep her kids!

Acting all worldly and whatnot.

My body just jumped up and started dancing as soon as Before I Let Go began playing. The song has some kind of voodoo.

The post-analysis of a date like it was a post-game news conference was pretty inspired.

Yeah, I think that might've been the best sketch of the season. Just non-stop brilliance.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

This was my favorite episode all season. I haven't been really feeling this season; the sketches have been hit or miss. I actually forgot to watch it last night. I just watched the finale, and all the sketches were really good this time.

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

My body just jumped up and started dancing as soon as Before I Let Go began playing. The song has some kind of voodoo.

Doesn't it? That sketch was hilarious because it was so true.

10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I don't like it either, and sometimes it doesn't even seem to fit the setting of the sketch. It felt very out of place in the Split the Check sketch, even though I understand it was a callback to an earlier sketch.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Are you tender-headed, Terrell?

Closed-captioning said "Tinder-headed" which is a great play on words.

This was definitely my favorite episode of the season, all the sketches hit perfectly for me.

The only thing is another cliff-hanger about whatever apocalypse they're going through. Quinta leaving probably left them scrambling from last season, but if it turns about to be a dream inside another dream or something, it's time to drop it.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I was already with them at Poison 😂

• Love 5
7 hours ago, DanaK said:

This season received 5 Primetime Emmy nominations https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/2021-Emmy-Nominations-List.pdf

I’m happy for the Emmy nominations. I didn’t love this season as much as I did season 1, but it had some great moments. Gabrielle was strong in every scene she was in. Laci and Skye grew on me, and I really liked them by the end of the season.  I missed Quinta for sure, but the writing also wasn’t as consistently as funny and smart. 

On 5/29/2021 at 10:27 AM, DanaK said:

I think I liked the finale better than the previous episode; I guess I just found it funnier overall. The post-analysis of a date like it was a post-game news conference was pretty inspired. The fight over identical outfits worn by overweight women, the genie sketch, and the debate sketch were pretty good

Yes the jumpsuit sketch was hilarious. And I love Amber Riley, so seeing her was a treat. 

I still enjoyed the season overall and loved seeing black women do comedy well. 

BTW, did anyone catch Gabrielle Dennis on an HGTV renovation show called Inside-Out? I loved the renovations in her LA house. And she was funny. A little chatty—i.e., she wouldn’t stop talking—but it was a good episode, and it was nice to see her beautiful vintage home. 

• Love 4

A Black Lady Sketch Show Season 3 will be six-episodes and will air on HBO on Friday, April 8. 

A Black Lady Sketch Show Season 3 Cast includes: Robin Thede, Gabrielle Dennis, Ashley Nicole Black and Skye Townsend.

Celebrity Guest Stars include: Ava DuVernay, Michaela Jaé Rodriguez, Raven-Symoné, Wanda Sykes, David Alan Grier, Kyla Pratt, Jemele Hill, Holly Robinson Peete, Kel Mitchell, Michael Ealy, Wayne Brady, Bob the Drag Queen, Vanessa Williams, Lance Reddick, Loni Love, Cari Champion, Shangela, Trevor Jackson, Tommy Davidson, Jay Pharoah, Jidenna, and Essence Atkins.

A Black Lady Sketch Show's Robin Thede spills the tea in exclusive first look at season 3

Entertainment Weekly has a huge interview with Robin Thede about A Black Lady Sketch Show Season 3 with lots of pictures.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 4
On 3/15/2022 at 6:14 PM, AnimeMania said:

A Black Lady Sketch Show Season 3 will be six-episodes and will air on HBO on Friday, April 8. 

Only 6 episodes? It's better than zero episodes, I suppose. 

• Love 1

Disappointed that Laci won't be returning.  Hopefully she's moving onto better things like Quinta did.

They're getting all new writers for s3, which is for the best, I think.  I wasn't thrilled with season 2 and the running thread of them in the bunker was so boring.  And they're bringing back characters from both seasons, so I'm hoping we see Trinity the Invisible Spy!

• Love 3

The "Funeral Ball"! Yes, please. If someone doesn't say "TAKE ME WITH YOU!" or "Who did the body?" I'll be so disappointed.

Edited by Popples
Added a thought
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2022 at 1:39 PM, topanga said:

Only 6 episodes? It's better than zero episodes, I suppose. 

I think Robin indicated in a previous interview and seemed to hint in the Hollywood Reporter interview just posted that they can barely manage to do 6 so I think it’s down to that

It seems per interviews the show will continue with the apocalypse meta story. I think that’s too bad as it didn’t work for me in Season 2 and seemed to just go nowhere

• Love 2
(edited)

That opening sketch was pretty good, as was the time travel sketch. The Dr. Haddassha sketch went an unexpected way. Overall not bad, though I still don’t care for the ongoing Armageddon sketch

Edited by DanaK

Love the new opening.

The FDA funds the swine industry. 🤔 Okay.

I actually thought Dr. Hadassah had a good point about the pyramids.

See, see, see!

Oh hey, Supreme Ramik. How you doin'?

OMG, did T.I. write Keisha's jokes?

Wanda Sykes has a very distinctive voice. "I work in the Post Office!"

Y'all clap weird.

So glad this show is back. These are the laughs I need.

• Love 1

The Funeral Ball was just crazy. I enjoyed so much tonight. My favorites were the class interfering in their teacher’s love life, the poor apostles having to stand in the back while everyone waits for Jesus to resurrect and the Funeral Ball

• Love 2

Lol, the teacher was bragging about getting catfished. So she bought that engagement ring herself?

Why would anybody be trying to pay rent on a cave? They're free after you kick the bears out. Oy, that crucifixion sketch bordered on being sacrilegious, especially right before Easter.

The funeral sketch was brilliant. Just one mic drop after another.

Wu Tang has a salon.

The guy on the Murray's can. Ew, I wanted to go scrub my hands with dish detergent after watching that sketch.

Gerrymandered a house. Oy, I think that's probably already happened somewhere.

In that last sketch with the drunk art teacher, were they making fun of Liza Koshy?

This episode didn’t do anything for me I’m sorry to say. I didn’t really like any sketch, except maybe the spelling bee

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2022 at 7:18 PM, DanaK said:

This episode didn’t do anything for me I’m sorry to say. I didn’t really like any sketch, except maybe the spelling bee

Same.  Last week’s episode was funny, but this week and the premiere were pretty weak.  

S03.E04: Bounce Them Coochies, Y'all!

Jamila deals with an ashy foot situation; two chefs cook up their best excuses; Valerie attempts to sell a timeshare before it’s too late.

Original Airdate: April 29  
gabrielle-dennis_7.jpg?itok=QUHqBvvv
gabrielle-dennis-daphne-reid.jpg?itok=9A

Gabrielle should head more sketches.  The werewolf one was the funniest.

I think the guy in the blue suit (Jaybruin?) in the dating sketch is the same character from the Hertep wedding sketch.  They did say they would have recurring characters.

Tonight was maybe the best episode of the season. Many of the sketches were so off the wall. Favorites: The World Texting Championship nearly had me in stitches, as did the cannibal astronauts one. The adoption one, besides the dumb lady adopting an adult she thought was a kid, turned out to be 3 ladies in a throuple; that took me a bit of time to get clued in. A lady broke up with her girlfriend hairdresser

• Love 3