Type keyword(s) to search

A Black Lady Sketch Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Robin Thede (The Rundown with Robin Thede, The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore) stars, writes and executive produces HBO's A Black Lady Sketch Show,  the first sketch comedy series to be written by, directed by and starring black women.

• Love 2

Crystal should have just told Mark, "Women don't belong in balloons!" (Probably two people will understand that joke, unless the viewership of ABLSS and the listenership of Who Weekly overlap more than I think.)

Sketch comedy is always a bit hit-and-miss for me, and there were skits that left me puzzled (dance biter?!), but it was a pretty good season (the short, six-episode run probably helped). I doubt that there are a lot of viewers here on PRTMR, though...

Edited by Corgi-ears

"Inside a Black Lady's Mind" sketch should have been in every episode and "Get the Belt" gave me flashbacks.

Also, it took way too long for me to realize that those are supposed to be flames on top of puppet Gabrielle Dennis' head during the opening credits.

I can't wait for this to come back.

Who's at the door?!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I don't have HBO, so I haven't been able to see the episodes in full, but I watch the sketches that HBO uploads to YouTube. Between Hertep Homecoming, The Basic Ball, Bad Bitch Support Group, and Courtroom Kiki, I don't even know what to do. Hilarious. I mean they got Angela-fricking-Basset! And Patti LaBelle. I think Loretta Devine is in there somewhere too. I read the YT comments on Get the Belt and I felt weird about it afterwards.  Honestly, it was one of my favorite sketches.  The details like the the cookie tin with no cookies in it; the running commentary "that remote is clearly within her own reach.  She's using a frustration tactic to get Monique to show some attitude, which would of course lead to an immediate 'beat and defeat.'"; the jokes, "Now Tonisha was born AT night, but she wasn't born LAST night."  Oh my god, the whole thing was a work of beauty, but I get that it triggered a lot of people.  Maybe it's because my mom only spanked me once in my whole life, I wasn't triggered like that at all.  

I've also started watching some clips of Robin Thede's other show, The Rundown.  She has some great sketches there too.  The Hairmaid's Tale and Weak Black Women come to mind.

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
On 9/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, Popples said:

Also, it took way too long for me to realize that those are supposed to be flames on top of puppet Gabrielle Dennis' head during the opening credits.

Same. I thought she had a crown of autumn leaves on her head! 

• Love 1
On 9/12/2019 at 6:25 AM, piccadilly83 said:

I read the YT comments on Get the Belt and I felt weird about it afterwards.  Honestly, it was one of my favorite sketches.  The details like the the cookie tin with no cookies in it; the running commentary "that remote is clearly within her own reach.  She's using a frustration tactic to get Monique to show some attitude, which would of course lead to an immediate 'beat and defeat.'"; the jokes, "Now Tonisha was born AT night, but she wasn't born LAST night."  Oh my god, the whole thing was a work of beauty, but I get that it triggered a lot of people.  Maybe it's because my mom only spanked me once in my whole life, I wasn't triggered like that at all.  

I'm not gonna read the comments, that skit was hilarious. I loved when Tonisha changed the channel it was to The People's Court. Also the one reporter saying her mom banned Facts of Life due to Jo's lesbian energy. My mom banned stuff like Soap and Mary Hartman so I would sneak and watch at my best friends house. I guess it didn't trigger me either because my mom rarely got the belt. She just slapped me on the thigh and most of the time I would just run from her. I do feel bad for those that were triggered though. I grew up in the 70s and spanking was the norm. I remember one of my friends having to go cut her own switch from the tree. I don't believe in spanking anymore though. Never solves a thing. 

I don't get HBO so I'm glad a bunch of these are on YouTube. I love the 227 one. They nailed that. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, festivus said:

I'm not gonna read the comments, that skit was hilarious. I loved when Tonisha changed the channel it was to The People's Court. Also the one reporter saying her mom banned Facts of Life due to Jo's lesbian energy. My mom banned stuff like Soap and Mary Hartman so I would sneak and watch at my best friends house. I guess it didn't trigger me either because my mom rarely got the belt. She just slapped me on the thigh and most of the time I would just run from her. I do feel bad for those that were triggered though. I grew up in the 70s and spanking was the norm. I remember one of my friends having to go cut her own switch from the tree. I don't believe in spanking anymore though. Never solves a thing. 

I don't get HBO so I'm glad a bunch of these are on YouTube. I love the 227 one. They nailed that. 

Thank you for mentioning this line.  I wish I had put it in my original post. Another line that I loved:

Carmen Sipp: Oh, the dreaded "If I have to get up and find it myself" challenge.

Kimber Zak: Now, historically Reneice has excelled in this challenge, but she might be battling some fatigue after playing 18 rounds of slide-slide-slippity slide at recess today.

Carmen Sipp: This is where Tonisha's home court advantage really comes in handy.

Kimberly Zak: Yeah, well, an advantage she always has because Reneice hasn't paid NAN ONE bill over here.

I just love it when she says nan one. I wasn't expecting it, and yet it's so culturally appropriate. I would seriously just transcribe this whole sketch if I didn't think it would break Primetimer rules.  Great job, ladies!

• Love 6

So glad there's now a thread for us!  I've been desperately wanting to discuss with folks.  

I'm still laughing so hard about all the Hertep sketches, from the pre-PhD to "Well, how many Caucasian seconds must pass before it's time for me to speak the truth?" to "Mentally, Physically; nor Spiritually, Metaphysically, Biologically, Specifically, Pacifically, Michael Ealy, Robert E Lee, None of the Lees."  LMAO!  I just think about them at random times and crack myself up!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

So glad there's now a thread for us!  I've been desperately wanting to discuss with folks.  

I'm still laughing so hard about all the Hertep sketches, from the pre-PhD to "Well, how many Caucasian seconds must pass before it's time for me to speak the truth?" to "Mentally, Physically; nor Spiritually, Metaphysically, Biologically, Specifically, Pacifically, Michael Ealy, Robert E Lee, None of the Lees."  LMAO!  I just think about them at random times and crack myself up!

[The bolded part] was my favorite line!!! OMG, I was just dying. Like, what? Huh? What did she just say? And then I read some comment on YouTube that broke it down to a whole 'nother level that I didn't even think of. This person on YT argued that Dr. Hadassah Olayinka Ali Youngman (why did I just type that whole thing out???) considered time "a construct of the white man. A subtle rebuttal to the stereo type that black people are always late." Were you able to get that when you saw it the first time? I just figured the great doctor (pre-PhD) was rejecting anything she thought had to do with white folks, and in her zeal, included scientific concepts like time. 

• Useful 4
45 minutes ago, piccadilly83 said:

Dr. Hadassah Olayinka Ali Youngman (why did I just type that whole thing out???) considered time "a construct of the white man. A subtle rebuttal to the stereo type that black people are always late." Were you able to get that when you saw it the first time?

giphy.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Brilliant show!  I inhaled it in two nights and immediately started over.   Loved Trinity the CIA spy and the "Dr".  "Dyson?  As in 'Die, Son.'  They want us to kill our children!"

Also, did you guys catch what Robin said after she fainted and got back up?  "I faint whenever I'm personally attacked.  It's the white side."  Snap!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I just watched all of the episodes because Xfinity Stream is having a "free" week. One of my favorite scenes was the intervention over Ashley not wearing a scarf when she sleeps. "Like a black chick on a TV show written by white people?"

When she complains that it gives her headaches, Gabrielle says, "Unnecessary pain is an important part of being a black woman. Everybody knows that." Then each of the ladies confesses "black" things that they should do, but don't - eat chicken, like The Five Heartbeats, and use lotion (which is unforgivable).

On 9/17/2019 at 11:50 PM, piccadilly83 said:

Kimberly Zak: Yeah, well, an advantage she always has because Reneice hasn't paid NAN ONE bill over here.

I just love it when she says nan one. I wasn't expecting it, and yet it's so culturally appropriate. I would seriously just transcribe this whole sketch if I didn't think it would break Primetimer rules.  Great job, ladies

Me, too. I was impressed that they got that real, lol.

Oddly, my mom didn't find that sketch funny - maybe it was too accurate? She didn't treat me like that (much), but I think her upbringing was more strict. She did like Hertep Homecoming.

Speaking of Hertep Homecoming, I know it's all about Hadassah Olayinka Ali Youngman, but I was thinking, "Why is no one concerned about Ryan?" No one seemed to be acknowledging his obvious pain. 

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 3

I just watched through everything on YT and I’m dyyyying! Love, love, love Trinity the invisible spy, and Basic Ball. And I don’t know why, but when that fool Chris get sent to the back of the plane and was still trying to yell up to his wife, I could not stop laughing! Whenever season 2 comes out, I’ll have to do that HBO trial month and binge everything. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ahisma said:

Whenever season 2 comes out, I’ll have to do that HBO trial month and binge everything. 

I “borrowed” my mom’s HBO login to watch it  

I really miss this show. I liked that the humor that wasn’t always about race, but in the various sketches you saw the complexity and diversity of black women just being themselves. Sometimes they played into stereotypes and made them smarter, but often they did not. Classy, bougie, ratchet, you might say. 

• Love 4

Three Emmy nominations:

OUTSTANDING VARIETY SKETCH SERIES - 2020
A Black Lady Sketch Show - HBO
Drunk History - Comedy Central
Saturday Night Live - NBC

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY SERIES - 2020
A Black Lady Sketch Show "Born At Night, But Not Last Night" - HBO - Dime Davis, Directed by
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver "Episode 629" - HBO - Paul Pennolino, Directed by Christopher Werner, Directed by
Saturday Night Live "Host: Eddie Murphy" - NBC - Don Roy King, Directed by
The Daily Show With Trevor Noah "Dr. Fauci Answers Trevor's Questions About Coronavirus" - Comedy Central - David Paul Meyer, Directed by
The Late Show With Stephen Colbert "Live Show; Chris Christie; Nathaniel Rateliff" - CBS - Jim Hoskinson, Directed by
Tiffany Haddish Presents: They Ready "Flame Monroe" - Netflix - Linda Mendoza, Directed by

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES - 2020
Angela Bassett as Mo - A Black Lady Sketch Show
Phoebe Waller-Bridge Host - Saturday Night Live
Maya Rudolph as Senator Kamala Harris - Saturday Night Live
Maya Rudolph as The Judge - The Good Place
Wanda Sykes as Moms Mabley - The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Bette Midler as Hadassah Gold - The Politician

• Love 3

'Robin Thede Lauds ‘A Black Lady Sketch Show’s Dime Davis As She Becomes First Black Woman To Score Emmy Nod For Directing Variety Series'

Dime Davis, director of HBO’s A Black Lady Sketch Show, has become the first Black woman to secure an Emmy nod for directing a variety series.

Debbie Allen was nominated in 1989 for directing ABC’s The Debbie Allen Special when the category was known as Outstanding Directing for a Variety or Music Program, but Davis becomes the first Black Woman for series directing. She is also only the second Black director to score a nomination in the category and the first in nearly 50 years since Mark Warren won for NBC’s Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In in 1971.

This comes as the Robin Thede-created sketch comedy was nominated for three awards this morning including for Outstanding Variety Sketch Series and for Angela Bassettt for Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy Series.

A Black Lady Sketch Show is strangely up against only Saturday Night Live and Drunk History in the main sketch series category after the Emmys introduced its rule change.

“It’s insane, it’s really fun, my phone is making a lot of noise and emails are going crazy, it’s great,” Thede told Deadline. “Three nominations for a show that aired a year ago and only had six episodes is massive.”

Davis directed the whole season of the HBO show and was nominated for the episode "Born At Night, But Not Last Night". She is also only one of a handful of woman nominated in the variety directing category, following the likes of Patricia Birch, Ellen Brown and Beth McCarthy-Miller.

Thede said, “She’s such a visionary. She’s known for directing some shows on BET, which is great, but honestly, whenever there’s a show on BET, some people think it’s just BET and they don’t think of it as on the same level as HBO, but Dime’s vision and creativity is great on any platform. I’m so happy that she’s getting this level of recognition.”

A Black Lady Sketch Show features Thede, Ashley Nicole Black, Quinta Brunson and Gabrielle Dennis and is the first major sketch show to be created by, written by and starring Black women.

Thede was also pleased for Bassett, who played Mo in Angela Bassett Is The Baddest B***h episode. “Angela Bassett was a huge get for us, so the fact that she even did the show, she was so kind,” she said. “We were laughing because the announcer is going to have to say ‘Angela Bassett for A Black Lady Sketch Show… Angele Bassett Is The Baddest B***h’. It was all very intentional.”

The Rundown host said that it should have a positive impact on getting guests for season two. “It’s good for the show because people know that we will take care of them, our celebrities are treated just as good as anybody else. They come to play and they know that we’re going to make them look good and have good material. I hope that only helps other folks come and play with us,” she said.

• Love 5

‘A Black Lady Sketch Show’: HBO Sets Season 2 Premiere Date For Robin Thede Sketch Comedy Series

I will see you April 23rd.

A Black Lady Sketch Show Season 2 premieres on Friday, April 23 at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HBO and HBO Max.

A Black Lady Sketch Show‘s sophomore season will feature six episodes filled with new sketches from returning cast members Thede, Gabrielle Dennis and Ashley Nicole Black. Issa Rae, Gabrielle Union and Jessie Williams are among the guest stars set to make appearances this season. Additional guests are singer Miguel, Skai Jackson, Laz Alonso, Omarion, Kim Wayans, Ayesha Curry, Lance Gross and Lovecraft Country’s Wunmi Mosaku. Quinta Brunson, who was a cast member in season one, will not appear this season due to Covid shutdown-related scheduling conflicts.

The comedy series racked up three Primetime Emmy nominations, including Outstanding Variety Sketch Series, Outstanding Directing For A Variety Series and Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy Series (Angela Bassett).  Director Dime Davis became the first Black woman to secure an Emmy nom for directing a variety series back in July 2020.

• Love 8

Can’t wait, I really enjoyed Season 1. Even as a White woman, I find the humor really funny and sometimes relatable even if some things might go over my head. The Patti LaBelle sketch had me in stitches 

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2

A Black Lady Sketch Show Season 2 Episode 1: But The Tilapia Are Fine Though, Right? premiered on Friday, April 23 at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HBO and HBO Max.

Season 2 will be 6 episodes.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 1

I didn’t particularly like the beginning of the premiere with the resetting of the ongoing The Event sketch or the nonsense-spouting pre-PHD woman, but I enjoyed the stuff after that

• Love 1

Courtroom Kiki Part 2 was my favorite sketch, esp. Gabrielle's dance moves and YNB as the judge. Laz Alonso was funny, too. The line about having them "seasick with these waves" sent me flashing back to my uncle with his Murray's and his wave cap saying "My hair is more wavy than the ships in the Navy."

This show continues to kill it with the guest stars.

• Applause 1
  • Love 9

When Pigs Fry. Yeah, no, that fast food restaurant would be too fast for me.

Kids named Jason and Lyric. (Nice to see Omarion willing to make fun of himself and his image.)

It wasn't biodegradable plexiglass! She didn't even have her ear on!

Tron's customer service tho. Rock solid. And firm Chocolate Cakes. 🥴

Good things only happen to Black women once. 🙁

Holy Dora Milaje, a Black Lady Jury!

Again this season, the wigs are amazing.

• Love 5

Honestly, I thought that was a terrible premier.  Who wrote these skits?  Some of those lines were just straight up cringe.  

I do like Robin, but her acting is too hammy.  She just tries too hard and exaggerates everything.  

I understand Quinta couldn't come back this season, but they couldn't even mention her during the apocalypse scenes?  As it was, it didn't really make sense.  Robin gets knocked out and ends up in some random warehouse?  I dunno, it was just dumb.  And Quinta's absence is noticeable in the show.

As for the newbies, it's still early.  Laci was pretty charming in the psychic sketch (the only funny part of that, tbh), but the jury is still out on Skye. 

Hope the season is better, because this wasn't it.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

S02.E02: So You Just Out Here Chloroforming Anybody?

The ongoing spy sketch was pretty funny, especially with her boss trying to kill her, than taking some unexpected time to die. I also enjoyed the sketch with Amber Riley and others giving feedback on some promo for a Black women's show (or ad maybe)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Oh no, Trinity the Invisible Spy is burned. She fcuks though.

A human centipede massage party. No. Just no.

Sheryl Scamberg. Heh.

Was that Ayesha Curry in the Fiji reunion scene?

Black women too opinionated for focus groups. Wonder if that's actually an issue IRL, lol.

CPT = Corpse People Time. Huh, learn something new every day. 🤔

OMG, that twerking sketch had me crying I was laughing so hard. Miguel did a good job of keeping a straight face through all that.

• LOL 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was that Ayesha Curry in the Fiji reunion scene?

Yes, that was her. I was really glad to see Erica Ash in that scene, too. I recognized Ryan Michelle Bathe's face, but I couldn't tell who she was until the credits.

I was so excited to see Miguel!

They are doing Ashley no favors with her wardrobe this season. I remember her clothes looking better last year.

I Wheel Survive, lol.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 3

I thought I saw this here, but I guess not. This was fun to watch. I just re-watched the Purgatory Soul Food sketch and saw that the waitress is one of the writers.

• Useful 1

Black Table Talk. Heh, wonder if Jada's ears were burning?

Um, no, do not use "female" as a noun. That's some b.s. even for herteps.

Dr. Haddassah Olayinka Ali-Youngman definitely needs to leave every child behind, lol. Every adult too. 🥴

That cornrows wig was not great. Reminded me of Shemar Moore's wig circa 2005.

Nicodemus, please.

Kink kink from a light-skinneded brother with green eyes. Of course.

Oh, okay, Diary of Nutbag Single-Serving Black Woman. That explains the bad cornrows wig earlier.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Um, no, do not use "female" as a noun. That's some b.s. even for herteps.

Dr. Haddassah Olayinka Ali-Youngman definitely needs to leave every child behind, lol. Every adult too. 🥴

Yeah, I usually find her over-the-topness funny but this sketch just felt disturbing in a creepy way. 

• Love 1

I always find the girl gang sketches a laugh riot. Pretty good show overall. I think the intro with the cast credits is too long though. I find I really enjoy the bloopers at the end

• Love 2
On 5/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, DanaK said:

I think the intro with the cast credits is too long though.

I just learned a few days ago that the intro credits are slightly different each episode.

• Love 2

Loved Age Aunt Nothing but a Number! From someone significantly past Auntiependence Day, oh, it’s nice to live in the world of warm shoulders, comfortable shoes, and early bedtime. 😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2