Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Primetimer

A Black Lady Sketch Show

Robin Thede (The Rundown with Robin Thede, The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore) stars, writes and executive produces HBO's A Black Lady Sketch Show,  the first sketch comedy series to be written by, directed by and starring black women.

• Like 2

Crystal should have just told Mark, "Women don't belong in balloons!" (Probably two people will understand that joke, unless the viewership of ABLSS and the listenership of Who Weekly overlap more than I think.)

Sketch comedy is always a bit hit-and-miss for me, and there were skits that left me puzzled (dance biter?!), but it was a pretty good season (the short, six-episode run probably helped). I doubt that there are a lot of viewers here on PRTMR, though...

Edited by Corgi-ears

"Inside a Black Lady's Mind" sketch should have been in every episode and "Get the Belt" gave me flashbacks.

Also, it took way too long for me to realize that those are supposed to be flames on top of puppet Gabrielle Dennis' head during the opening credits.

I can't wait for this to come back.

Who's at the door?!

• Like 1

I don't have HBO, so I haven't been able to see the episodes in full, but I watch the sketches that HBO uploads to YouTube. Between Hertep Homecoming, The Basic Ball, Bad Bitch Support Group, and Courtroom Kiki, I don't even know what to do. Hilarious. I mean they got Angela-fricking-Basset! And Patti LaBelle. I think Loretta Devine is in there somewhere too. I read the YT comments on Get the Belt and I felt weird about it afterwards.  Honestly, it was one of my favorite sketches.  The details like the the cookie tin with no cookies in it; the running commentary "that remote is clearly within her own reach.  She's using a frustration tactic to get Monique to show some attitude, which would of course lead to an immediate 'beat and defeat.'"; the jokes, "Now Tonisha was born AT night, but she wasn't born LAST night."  Oh my god, the whole thing was a work of beauty, but I get that it triggered a lot of people.  Maybe it's because my mom only spanked me once in my whole life, I wasn't triggered like that at all.  

I've also started watching some clips of Robin Thede's other show, The Rundown.  She has some great sketches there too.  The Hairmaid's Tale and Weak Black Women come to mind.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, Popples said:

Also, it took way too long for me to realize that those are supposed to be flames on top of puppet Gabrielle Dennis' head during the opening credits.

Same. I thought she had a crown of autumn leaves on her head!