Type keyword(s) to search

Affairs and More Affairs: The Series As a Whole & Speculation for the End

• Start Topic

Ooh ooh...I think I figured it out!  EJ is Sierra & Dr. Vic's son.

So?  Joanie really had no relation with Sierra and Dr. Vic.  Her dad was Cole and her mom was Alison.

What do the writers do with that little strand. Or is that an attempt at saying we are all related to Kevin Bacon?  (Get it?  Not a movie reference, but...).

Just don't tell me that Helen and Noah are going to reconcile and live out their elder years together.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Just don't tell me that Helen and Noah are going to reconcile and live out their elder years together.

The synopsis for the series final says everything comes full circle, so it is very well possible.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Totally possible that EJ is Eddie, and that Helen somehow wound up raising him....which might be OK based on Sierra's recent behavior.  And if he was raised by Helen and was the son of a troubled mother, it would make sense that he would be intrigued by the generational trauma subject.  His grandmother traumatized his mother, his mother (may have) traumatized him, and Noah Solloway traumatized everyone he came into contact with. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MamaMax said:

Totally possible that EJ is Eddie, and that Helen somehow wound up raising him....which might be OK based on Sierra's recent behavior.  And if he was raised by Helen and was the son of a troubled mother, it would make sense that he would be intrigued by the generational trauma subject.  His grandmother traumatized his mother, his mother (may have) traumatized him, and Noah Solloway traumatized everyone he came into contact with. 

Helen and Noah's kids are horrible.

Remember in the pilot the one kid faked a suicide, pissed Noah off?

It wasn't cute, it wasn't clever.

Then those kids started to talk.

• Love 7
On 9/30/2019 at 1:49 PM, grommit2 said:

This is 100% the way the show is going to end. 

17 hours ago, Pallas said:

Here is Michael Braun (EJ) ten years ago (that is, forty years ago, in EJ's current time)...He certainly could be Sierra and Vik's son. 

I thought he looked Asian in the show, but not in that picture, so I guess he could be Vik's kid. As I mentioned before, this show is so incestuous with such a small circle of people boinking each other and round and round it goes. Anyway, I can buy that pic for only 475$. I must get my order in.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Ursula Parrott said:

Couldn’t EJ be Ben’s son by whoever he hooks up with after Alison?

I also speculated about that. My first guess was that EJ was Eddie based on his father's death and his interest in movies. But then I thought he could be Ben's son. 

• Love 1

I'm interested to see how the Joanie/Ben scene will go based on the preview for Episode 7.  Where Ben says "Hello Joanie.  You are finally here."  that was so creepy.

But then you hear a voice over of Joanie saying "Did SHE kill my mother?"  I think maybe Ben will try and convince Joanie that Luisa or Athena killed her.

Whatever the outcome, I think a twist will be revealed.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Stad15 said:

I think maybe Ben will try and convince Joanie that Luisa or Athena killed her.  Whatever the outcome, I think a twist will be revealed.

Me too. It seems clear that Joanie does indeed go to see Ben as a prospective client. But why would Ben do anything to confirm that Alison's death wasn't suicide? My thought is that it's Joanie who floats the murder theory, but with a female suspect -- either because she believes it, or to draw Ben out. And another female suspect might be her father's wife. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

Me too. It seems clear that Joanie does indeed go to see Ben as a prospective client. But why would Ben do anything to confirm that Alison's death wasn't suicide? My thought is that it's Joanie who floats the murder theory, but with a female suspect -- either because she believes it, or to draw Ben out. And another female suspect might be her father's wife. 

That's what i'm thinking too.  If Ben wouldn't confess to Alison that he had a wife and kids, no matter how many chances she gave him to do so (even telling him something like, "just tell me the truth, I won't be mad"), no way does he flat out confess to killing Alison, even if Joanie tries every trick in the book.

If it is somehow revealed that Ben wasn't the culprit, then we just wasted our time with Episode 9 last season.  I think Ben did it, but he had help.  I want to know who the accomplice was (if so.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Stad15 said:

If it is somehow revealed that Ben wasn't the culprit, then we just wasted our time with Episode 9 last season. 

If someone else was involved -- even, if someone else delivered Alison to the water --  I don't think Ep 9 would be proven a waste. It was riveting: superbly written, acted and directed. And from the perspective of the story, in both segments, we saw Alison stand her ground and claim her place in the world. 

Within days of the night she died, Alison had learned that her newly-found sire only wanted to know her to use her, then that she was the result of rape, and that her new boyfriend was (also) married and a father; she'd been arrested on board while flying cross-country. Yet she neither says nor does anything despairing, in either scenario -- including her saying that since Gabriel's death, she was sometimes proud of what she'd made of her life, and sometimes felt she was just marking time.  

But the second scenario becomes ambiguous after Alison is flung against the wall and sustains the deep head laceration we see bleed (and is circled in the autopsy sketch). She likely has a traumatic brain injury. And that's when we see images that a semi-conscious or disembodied Alison glimpsed, or perceived, or imagined, to make sense of her last moments of consciousness: the story she tells in her voiceover.  

• Love 6
On 10/2/2019 at 2:51 PM, QualityTVwatchj said:

About Alison's fate , Treem said last year we as the audience know but the characters don't. 

Which, as everyone knows, makes for some great TV! Because who doesn't love watching characters on a show try to solve a murder mystery you already know the answer to? 

I mean, I would actually prefer it if we found out Alison really killed herself, because I remember finding it pretty odd that Ben, who had never displayed any behavior that could indicate PTSD and who seemed overall a pretty chill guy, would turn that violent against her in a matter of seconds. But I, too, recall Treem saying in different interviews that Alison was killed by Ben, so I guess that's what Joanie is going to find out. Soooo exciting. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, stormy weather said:

Which, as everyone knows, makes for some great TV! Because who doesn't love watching characters on a show try to solve a murder mystery you already know the answer to? 

I mean, I would actually prefer it if we found out Alison really killed herself, because I remember finding it pretty odd that Ben, who had never displayed any behavior that could indicate PTSD and who seemed overall a pretty chill guy, would turn that violent against her in a matter of seconds. But I, too, recall Treem saying in different interviews that Alison was killed by Ben, so I guess that's what Joanie is going to find out. Soooo exciting. 

Ben quickly took the husband who attacked Alison down and smashed his head on the table in Alison's office.

Ben oddly also kept his hands in his pockets when he was talking to her beforehand.

He definitely displayed some PTSD tendencies.

• Love 3

Anyone think maybe Ben's wife did it?

Maybe she found out about him and Alison's affair, she got Alison's address from his office, and went to Alison's apartment to confront her.  They got into a minor altercation and Alison accidentally hit her head the same way.  Ben arrives later to meet Alison (he had been drinking at a bar beforehand), sees her dead body, his wife freaking out over what had happend, so Ben picks up Alison and throws her into the ocean to protect his wife.  Meanwhile his wife cleans up the apartment.  Ben then goes to the AA meeting.

Just speculation.

• Love 2
On 10/3/2019 at 9:57 AM, Stad15 said:

That's what i'm thinking too.  If Ben wouldn't confess to Alison that he had a wife and kids, no matter how many chances she gave him to do so (even telling him something like, "just tell me the truth, I won't be mad"), no way does he flat out confess to killing Alison, even if Joanie tries every trick in the book.

If it is somehow revealed that Ben wasn't the culprit, then we just wasted our time with Episode 9 last season.  I think Ben did it, but he had help.  I want to know who the accomplice was (if so.)

Now I am thinking maybe it was Ben's wife: "Mrs. Cruz." Maybe she did it and Ben carried Alison out to the ocean. Maybe Ben's wife was his "alibi" that checked out. Aha! 

1 hour ago, Stad15 said:

Maybe she found out about him and Alison's affair, she got Alison's address from his office, and went to Alison's apartment to confront her.  They got into a minor altercation and Alison accidentally hit her head the same way.  Ben arrives later to meet Alison (he had been drinking at a bar beforehand), sees her dead body, his wife freaking out over what had happend, so Ben picks up Alison and throws her into the ocean to protect his wife.  Meanwhile his wife cleans up the apartment.  Ben then goes to the AA meeting.

Just speculation.

OMG I am sorry STAD15, I actually did not COPY your idea. This was a coincidence. I had not read your post, so maybe we are onto something. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 2

Ben's alibi that checked out was that he'd been to the Montauk AA meeting and returned his sobriety tokens, not that his wife said he was home (in New Jersey). I don't think that both of Alison's season 4, ep 9 narratives come to nothing. However, I'm very willing to believe that we don't have the full story of what happened between Alison and Ben that night and how Alison died. 

The coroner said she died by drowning, because of the water in her lungs. The showrunner said she was murdered: so, not killed accidentally, however culpably. If Alison was murdered, whoever dropped her, still breathing, into the ocean, is her murderer. 

We know that after she loses consciousness at her house, she envisions being carried (by Ben) outside in the storm and thrown from a jetty into what looks to be at least 20 feet of water, where she slowly descends. That's when she delivers her defining monologue: a great piece of writing and performance.

In one season, Ben lied more than any other character over five seasons. Ask anyone he talked to about that night, and you'll hear a different story. Even so, it seemed to me as if his showing up for Alison's funeral might have been his one honest act. Not an attempt to deflect suspicion, or to troll her two ex-husbands, and more remorse than guilt. 

But every other scenario for who threw Alison into the ocean is more far-fetched. It requires someone else to show up at the house, in the storm, while Alison's unconscious, decide to kill her rather than call 911, and possess whatever it takes to carry her and a lantern onto a wet, windswept jetty and throw her fully clear...then return to the house and meticulously remove the evidence of the perfect fall guy's having already been there.  

I still don't entirely rule out Alison as a suspect. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

I still don't entirely rule out Alison as a suspect. 

Please explain. If she was unconscious how could she have thrown herself in to the ocean? Did she gain consciousness, stumble out into the rain, feel pain and be extremely depressed and confused, and not know where she was walking and fall in to the ocean? 

• Love 1

How does the recent information, discovered by Joanie, that the ocean was at low tide and the water level was very low around the jetty?

I still go with show runner Treem's very clear statement: Alison was murdered.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, stormy weather said:

May I say that, 3 episodes from the finale, I am ZERO interested in Noah's #metoo lawsuit? There's not enough time to approach the topic in a decent manner, they are digging up a plethora of characters I can't even remember and I don't care about in the least (Noah's blond friend, his lawyer, the publisher, the publisher's attorney, Eden, Audrey - who is she, btw? -, the Vanity Fair lady...), and we already know none of the things he's accused of happened. And now he has to explain everything to Helen and how the accusations are not true and Helen, who might have been thinking about getting back together with Noah, is gonna think again, but then in the last episode he's going to be proven innocent and the series is going to end with both of them smiling at each other which leaves a glimmer of hope for their future. Booooring! 

5 hours ago, weaver said:

Does anyone suppose that Noah will go out "screaming into the canyon at the moment of my death."  At this point it would not shock me.   Will he be in jail with all these accusations?   We know what happened last time he was in jail.  Is Brendan Fraser still available to play the guard?  

I think that there is good chance that the last episode will feature a replay of Noah’s entire adult life in which he sees the truth about how he treats women.  A POV without his victim lens. (Apparently, his issues go back to college per the conversation with his blonde friend.) This replay will be an epiphany for Noah and he will honestly and sincerely apologize in public. That will be the true beginning of his “Ascent”. 

• Love 4
On 10/5/2019 at 7:09 AM, Stad15 said:

As if we didn't know already, this cemented the fact that Ben had violent tendencies. (shown from Episode 6.)

Go get him Cole Joanie!

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 1.07.25 AM.png

It was  shown in ep 7 too. Noah saw it in the local paper at the bridal shop while  Whitney was changing.  Maybe Noah acts on it and gets the police to further investigate Ben's role in Alison's death? Of course for that to happen all that horrid  E.J. - Joanie trash  in 6 and 7 would have to turn out to be her hallucinations... which I'm pulling for!

I'm still hoping that Ben get at least accused of alisison murder, Cole was suspicious at the time. I get in the future time line he is free as a bird. I just want him to atleast sweat it, in the other time line. Wasn't there a picture, of ben in uniform with the words aaault, in the bridal shop,, in apaper that noha glanced at for a moment. 

I want to see ben pay, he could have saved her.

One more thing Did anyone consider the fact Alison would never leave her daughter, not after losing her son.

• Love 2

I don't care for  the upcoming theme of  Noah and Helen reuniting  that seems to be where we're headed. What, Helen backs Noah when Sasha campaigns to keep his name off the movie? (Sasha already got Noah banned from  the film lot and gave himself  screen writing credit by ep5). Sasha may have gone too far by urging Helen to keep the kids away from Noah in light of Eden's and Audrey's allegations (in upcoming scenes from ep9} and that ends that. Looks like mom and dad will be picking up the pieces of a distraught Whitney when her  relationship with Colin implodes. If they all trek back to Montauk  to help  out Bruce and Margaret...  either  plus one Solomander  in little E.J. or not...

If that's it...

...and Joanie and E.J. (who DOES turn out to be Sierra's son) put their heads together and contact the Police with their info on Ben and proof Joanie was not in-patient at his clinic...

or worse, they go out to Ben's together as some sort of crime fighting duo!

and he's finally brought to justice for Alison's murder

I WILL THROW SOMETHING AT THE TV!

Let's hope the writers have something very clever  and surprising in store, or they will have trouble living this trash down!

1 hour ago, T Summer said:

I WILL THROW SOMETHING AT THE TV!

You might want to delete this post or your insurance company will use it to deny your claim when this plot inevitably happens!😆

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Interesting.

It would be cool if Noah acts on having seen Ben's photo with assault arrest caption in the paper at the bridal shop  and gets the authorities on young Ben!

Of course for that to happen  all that older Ben having lived to a ripe old age without having to atone  stuff from ep7 would have to have never happened.

I hated the E.J. revelations in ep6 and Joanie acting on them in ep7 so I was rooting for  all of that being Joanie's hallucinations ...but it's not looking that. way. 😞

2 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

With only 2 more episodes to go I do not think anything new will be happening with regard to Joanie. It could be that we never even see her again. So what was the point of these Joanie segments? 

IMBD shows Anna Pacquin who plays Joanie will be on s5 eps 9, 10 +11

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001593/

Edited by T Summer
eta: 9
  • Love 1

As above, per IMBD Joanie will be in ep9, 10 +11

Sierra and Sasha are only listed on IMBD for one more appearance each, ep9

Eden Riegel will appear in ep9. doesn't say who she will play

Wyatt Hinz ep9 Bro

Alex J. Joseph ep9 Bro # 1

Shaw Jones ep9 traffic cop

McCristol Harris ep9 Midwestern guy

Eden will be in ep9

Colin will be in ep9+10

Donal Lardner Ward  appears in  ep10 as Firefighter Dan

Lizzie Prestel will play Suzie in ep10

Synopsis of ep10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9255724/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

Janelle will be back in ep9+11

E.J. will be in ep11

Kate Greer plays Alina Murphy  in ep11

Geofry Arend will play Leif Devland in ep 11 as he did in ep5. Sierra's director on Madame Bovary. If he's coming back in ep 11 it could be a mistake on IMBD that Sierra is done after ep9 ?

synopsis of ep11

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10438246/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_i66

There may be other mistakes because Furcat is in the ep9 promo and his last ep is listed on IMBD as ep4.

Also they don't list any more appearances for Bruce, Margaret or baby Eddie.

I haven't seen ep9 yet. I asked on the ep8 thread if anyone knows how one can watch the new ep b4 it's broadcast on Showtime. I went to the Showtime website and I didn't see how, of course it won't let me log in either.

Yes, I saw the  photo on page one of this thread of Noah in age accelerated make up with the actress who plays Whitney.

It's interesting that E.J. will be back on ep11. [ and why is the series 11 episodes? seems odd]

I would love to find out E.J is someone other than Eddie James, but it seems highly unlikely.

• Love 1

In the last 10-20 minutes of S05E09, they had Whitney blaming THE AFFAIR for messing her up, why she dated someone like Furkat, because her father was a cheater and her mother was an enabler.

OK, they could have shown how the affair and Noah leaving his family messed up his kids, or at least how it affected them.

But AFAIK, Whitney hasn't had a POV segment until this last season.  They really didn't try to tell her story that much.

Before Season 5, she was mostly a spoiled brat who made bad choices.

Sure blame that on Noah but start 3 seasons ago, not in the last part of the last season.

But people who've been watching from the beginning aren't buying it, because those kids were spoiled assholes long before Noah left Helen and the kids.

• Love 6

Trying to understand the lengthy conversation Whitney had with Noah's former student on the airplane heading from JFK to LA.

Initially, Whitney was legitimately angry at the stories being told by Noah's former student (Brooke Lyon?).  Lyon was consumed by 10+ years of anger; anger which emanated from Noah's dismissal of her abilities when attending "Livingston" college.  

Whitney pointed out that her book and news releases were severely hurting Noah AND Noah's wife and children. That they certainly had done nothing wrong and did not deserve to be dragged under the bus along with Noah.

At first, Lyon seemed to acknowledge that she had not thought of the collateral damage she was causing.  For a few moments, it seemed that she would acknowledge the damage she was doing.

But, then the conversation turned.  Lyon related that Noah's treatment had caused her a LIFE of torment; torment caused by MEN.  Always MEN.  Repeatedly the cursed, dastardly men. And the initial impetus came from Noah.

And when Lyon responded to Whitney, she triggered thoughts in Whitney that Whitney had also felt the same way.  Why, yes...it is MEN.  Evil men...no...ALL MEN. 

So, here's my confusion.  Whitney, a grown woman (no longer my favorite whiny teen), had recently sought refuge with Furkat. Eh?  Then flies back to be with her green card Irish man. Oh?  Ok...she rebukes Furkat (thank heaven).  And initially rebukes Mr Ireland.  But when he reveals the portrait and reports that he only wanted the green card because he wanted to be with Whitney...Whitney dissolves and expresses her deep affection.  Hmmm...

But, now the ultimate confusion...here's Whitney in bed, next to that really cool portrait. And she looks...wistful?  knowing?  angry?  And where's Mr. Green Card?

Oh, I am so confused!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, grommit2 said:

But, now the ultimate confusion...here's Whitney in bed, next to that really cool portrait. And she looks...wistful?  knowing?  angry?  And where's Mr. Green Card?

Oh, I am so confused!

Colin is still out with her siblings (maybe having been joined by Noah and Helen). As she stares at her beautiful image, as known and revealed by her future husband, Whitney sees that she looks like someone who feels like prey. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, Stad15 said:

I think there's some unwritten rule about an unfamiliar character inserted at the last minute in a who-done-it.  It's a cheat and considered bad storytelling.   Yes I absolutely think it's a possibility.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 10/21/2019 at 5:59 PM, Pallas said:

Colin is still out with her siblings (maybe having been joined by Noah and Helen). As she stares at her beautiful image, as known and revealed by her future husband, Whitney sees that she looks like someone who feels like prey. 

Ok.  That makes sense. Thanks.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:39 PM, grommit2 said:

Trying to understand the lengthy conversation Whitney had with Noah's former student on the airplane heading from JFK to LA.

Initially, Whitney was legitimately angry at the stories being told by Noah's former student (Brooke Lyon?).  Lyon was consumed by 10+ years of anger; anger which emanated from Noah's dismissal of her abilities when attending "Livingston" college.  

Whitney pointed out that her book and news releases were severely hurting Noah AND Noah's wife and children. That they certainly had done nothing wrong and did not deserve to be dragged under the bus along with Noah.

At first, Lyon seemed to acknowledge that she had not thought of the collateral damage she was causing.  For a few moments, it seemed that she would acknowledge the damage she was doing.

But, then the conversation turned.  Lyon related that Noah's treatment had caused her a LIFE of torment; torment caused by MEN.  Always MEN.  Repeatedly the cursed, dastardly men. And the initial impetus came from Noah.

And when Lyon responded to Whitney, she triggered thoughts in Whitney that Whitney had also felt the same way.  Why, yes...it is MEN.  Evil men...no...ALL MEN. 

So, here's my confusion.  Whitney, a grown woman (no longer my favorite whiny teen), had recently sought refuge with Furkat. Eh?  Then flies back to be with her green card Irish man. Oh?  Ok...she rebukes Furkat (thank heaven).  And initially rebukes Mr Ireland.  But when he reveals the portrait and reports that he only wanted the green card because he wanted to be with Whitney...Whitney dissolves and expresses her deep affection.  Hmmm...

Oh, I am so confused!

Audrey didn't accuse Noah of any kind of attempted seduction or sexual impropriety. Confusion may come from  Petra  at Vanity Fair and Ariel Noah's  college friend   lumping Audrey in with the others who did.

Audrey being an aspiring writer herself, was excited to have  Noah a  successful novelist as her  professor at Livingston college. That was Noah's return to teaching after his incarceration. He was completely dismissive of her and made it clear he didn't think she had  anything to say. His exact words  to her in front of the class were "Unfortunately, all that Audrey has revealed here today   is how shocking unoriginal her inner life actually is". Not exactly something she can use to improve the quality of her writing. Audrey told Whitney she went to her Dean who dismissed her concerns and told her to grow a thicker skin. She dropped the class.. she stopped writing  and may have even changed her major and she  went through a period of depression.

Can't help  thinking about what happened when Noah began  his teaching job   on the west coast and met Anton. Anton didn't want to participate in class and was angry (no doubt because the principal, his mother was making him repeat an entire year of school), but Noah didn't know why Anton was so  angry and  sullen. So Noah does anything and everything to reach this young man which is the start of a relationship between the two. He's encouraging, he's supportive, he gives him his advice and counsel. Noah even goes to his house! Even though Anton has two whole parents, one or both in education. He makes sure Anton doesn't fail by not trying or lose out on any educational opportunities.

WHY?

What was the difference?

If Audrey had been Lucy Koskov the student  Noah discussed  in the counseling session Alison missed s2 ep10,   he  said    would come see him with her work during  his office hours... That she'd made it clear she'd sleep with him.  He told Marilyn the therapist "I  wish  she'd just quit talking metaphors so I could take off all her clothes and  bend  her over my   desk".

Something tells me in order to get what he wanted, Noah would be able to squeeze out a few kind words and  useful insights  about writing  for  Lucy.

Edited by T Summer
added the word about
  • Love 1

In another flash-forward we learn that Helen and Noah reconciled, but only long enough for his next best seller to be published.  He then leaves her for an adoring fan 30 years his junior.

Whitney married Colin, but shockingly the marriage only lasted about a year, when Colin revealed his second masterpiece, a nude of Whitney in the shower looking hot but angry.  He  goes on to sell black velvet Bonos to tourists in the Dublin Airport.

affairBono.jpg.7883bf432bfab7150dfac68d049fcea0.jpg

• LOL 4
On 10/25/2019 at 4:18 AM, AngelaHunter said:

Joanie will go back to Ben's and shoot him.

Based on the promo pic for Episode 11, looks like it's a good possibility.  She could be holding Cole's old shotgun from Season 4.

MV5BODVmZTY2Y2YtYzlmNS00ZWY4LWE0NmQtZWU3

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Stad15 said:

Based on the promo pic for Episode 11, looks like it's a good possibility.  She could be holding Cole's old shotgun from Season 4.

MV5BODVmZTY2Y2YtYzlmNS00ZWY4LWE0NmQtZWU3

Ooh, I didn't see the promo pic! I just had a vision while cooking dinner and the fact that I might be right for once fills me with elation. 😁

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Ooh, I didn't see the promo pic! I just had a vision while cooking dinner and the fact that I might be right for once fills me with elation. 😁

Wait.  This is not good.
The cops will catch her.  The trial will use Ben's fudged notes to convict her and sentence her to life in the looney bin.  Not a good ending. 
But it sure does fit with the show's overall premise...which is...umm...wait...not sure what. 

• Love 1