Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Anndeken Pis

• Start Topic

(edited)

I just don't buy that Nick was one of those contestants who came in wanting to antagonize, wanting to be a villain and wanting to instigate drama.

Actually, I don't either.  However, he IS the one that admitted to watching all of Dez's season to see what it was all about.  The fact that producers "create" the characters they want with their editing should have been clear to him.  He didn't have to give them as much material to work with, no matter how manipulative the environment.  A few more smiles, a little less snark/ego/bravado and maybe they would have targeted Brian (or somebody else) for the villian.  

And I think he was close with Josh when there were a bunch of other guys in-between them and Andi.  Down to this few, panic obviously sets in and the bro code takes a back seat.  

In my experience, most guys tend to not hold grudges too long.  They'll beat the crap out of each other, then go for a beer.  As many have stated here, I also believe that they all actually got along well after the fact.  But I guess we'll see more at "The Men Tell All".  

Edited by leighdear

I just looked up Arlington, IA and it really is in a surprisingly isolated area. About 3 hours from any larger city and an hour or more to small cities. Arlington has a population of about 400. I don't see Andi moving there, or really anyone who is interested in a career. Not that Andi seems too interested in her career. Even with all of Chis's attributes, being tied to this location probably does narrow the field for him. If he is the next bachelor, I hope they find people who would like the farm life and living in the country, as I'm sure they are out there.

I don't see chemistry with him and Andi either.  She thinks there is chemistry, but I think she is just being led on.

I don't think she's being led on.  I think Andi is so shallow and narcissistic that she equates a guy running after her wanting to play tonsil-hockey with "chemistry."

• Love 8
(edited)
And I think he was close with Josh when there were a bunch of other guys in-between them and Andi.  Down to this few, panic obviously sets in and the bro code takes a back seat.

I agree with this and actually that's been my point for the last few weeks. That basically the contestants all eventually become stockholmed in some way because they're stuck in this very manipulated bubble and it's easy for tension and emotions to get out of control, especially when it's likely they have producers whispering in their ear.

So exactly as you said, it was fine when there were more people but as the numbers go down, people get more desperate to the be "the one" because no matter what they believe at the time they too are caught up in the competition, it's easy to start sniping and judging for every little thing and having others join in and basically creating a sort of group think mentality increases the feeling that they're right. 

He didn't have to give them as much material to work with, no matter how manipulative the environment.  A few more smiles, a little less snark/ego/bravado and maybe they would have targeted Brian (or somebody else) for the villian.

Fair point but remember the "Nick is awful" attitude started (well when we were first shown anyway) back in the fourth episode, when he went to comfort Andi after the drama with Eric. He went to her, came back in with her and said in what I thought was a personable manner, "hey, look who's back" and then the second the guys realized the cocktail party was done and there was no chance to talk to her, the ones who felt they were most in danger, pounced. And then once they did, the accusations of being manipulative, a liar, etc. started spilling out.

And that was the first time I was thinking "wait, what now...?" Because I just couldn't figure out what they were so outraged about. And I think Nick explained his position to Andi fairly well and how this whole thing got so out of hand by saying that it is a weird situation, that he does want to get along with the other guys but at the same time he feels like his focus should be mainly her and that he doesn't want to pretend and downplay his connection with her or if he thinks they have a great connection. But then saying that somehow offends the other guys too. 

But in saying that, I don't think there's any chance Nick would be the next Bachelor.  He's just too creepy.

I actually didn't get the impression the guys were suggesting Nick was angling to be the next Bachelor. I think they were saying that he's studied the show and would talk a lot about things that would happen, which is why they thought he was being strategic. So I imagine it's along the lines of when they would get to a new city, he'd say something like "well there are 8 of us left now so there will probably be two 1 on 1 dates and a group date because that's what happened in that season." So basically like some of those contestants on Survivor who've studied the show and sometimes anticipate certain things because of that.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I don't find Chris attractive at all, and his voice bugs me. All the guys who chimed in during that verbal non-smackdown sounded really stupid. So I was totally on Nick's side. That being said, I doubt he gets the final rose. They're showing him talking about his certainty way too much. But I do see some chemistry between him and Andi, and there's only one other guy there that she shows the same type of attention to (Josh, ugh,). 

Marcus is cute but has dead eyes. The only time he had a little life in him was the bumper for last week's episode. 

I don't see what's so wrong about Chris wanting a housewife,

I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se. I think the point was that it becomes a problem if that's a woman's only option - great if you want to be a housewife, not so great if you want to do something else. Then again, I have an entire rant about why it is wrong that our culture still largely refers to a married female farmer as "a farmer's wife." But I will spare you.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just looked up Arlington, IA and it really is in a surprisingly isolated area. About 3 hours from any larger city and an hour or more to small cities. Arlington has a population of about 400. I don't see Andi moving there, or really anyone who is interested in a career. Not that Andi seems too interested in her career. Even with all of Chis's attributes, being tied to this location probably does narrow the field for him. If he is the next bachelor, I hope they find people who would like the farm life and living in the country, as I'm sure they are out there.

www.farmersonly.com

I also forgot to mention the classic question that Dylan (I think - it might have been Brian) asked at the ruins: "So, did this use to be all enclosed?" (My husband pointed out that maybe he meant it as "was there a wall around the whole compound?" but I like to think of it as him asking if there used to be roofs on the buildings.)

Edited by Etta Place

I used to live in Belgium, so I'm very excited to see where they go.  From the preview it was clear they will be in the Grote Markt (Grand Market), one of the tourist centers of Brussels, and maybe its most famous location.  Pics here.

The castle ruins they are shown touring are, I'm guessing, Montaigle Castle, which are the most famous ruins in Belgium (well, except for some Roman ones maybe).  

And, although they don't show it, surely, SURELY, the producers would not pass up a chance to visit the most famous statue in Belgium, the Manneken Pis (hence, the title of the thread):

617px-Manneken_Pis_%28crop%29.jpg

Yes, the most famous denizen of Belgium is a little boy urinating into a fountain.  Tells you a lot about the Belgian sense of humor.  What? You ask if they dress him up in costumes for different occasions? Why, yes. Yes they do.

bru12_pis.jpg

Elvis is my favorite.

I normally don't watch this show, but when I heard they were in Belgium, I had to watch. I, too, was disappointed they didn't show the "little peeing boy." We made it a point to see him. I didn't know they put costumes on him! He was naked as a jaybird when we saw him. He needed to be wearing something because it was COLD! LOL! I was also disappointed that they didn't go to Brugges or Waterloo, but at least they went to Ghent. How convenient that they were having the goose parade (which I would have loved to see) and the choir was rehearsing. Anyway, Belgium is a beautiful country and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing places I've been.

I don't understand her making out with the different guys. It's probably just that I'm getting old, (GET OFF MY LAWN!) but ICK!

(edited)

I think he might have been feeling a little beaten up over all the drama with the guys and everything was getting to him so he just got unnaturally weepy when talking about his feelings for Andi and bringing her home to meet his family. I don't know, I think part of the reason why I like Nick so much is because he reminds me so much of myself.

I just can't get on board with the Nick hate. I really like him - he's totally more my type than any of the others. He has some intrigue and mystery and just doesn't seem as average/common/typical (YMMV) as the other guys. Seriously, I could NOT watch a farmer Chris bachelor. It would be the most boring season ever. As someone else mentioned, probably a good opportunity to end my difficult relationship with this show.

Plus, I can't blame Nick for crying. What was that jealous male bitch fest? I don't think anything Nick did merited that kind of attack. They need to get over themselves. Lashing out jealously is such an unattractive quality. Sure, he's a little over confident but it's also editing. TPTB keep replaying that one line, voice over, after voice over, of him saying he thinks they'll end up together - probably telegraphing that it won't happen. It's bullshit.

Edited by Beebee111
  • Love 3
(edited)

2) for Josh, I read somewhere pre-season that Andi's father is a HUGE football fan and loves Josh's brother and has followed his whole career.  He would love for Andi to marry Josh,simply to have the connection to his brother. ;-)

I must have missed the segment when Josh's football playing brother was mentioned.  Who is he? 

I don't find Nick attractive but I also don't really see anything specific he has done to warrant being the villian.  I wouldn't be surprised if the producers didn't plant the idea for him to go visit Andi. He's probably the only one left of the 6 that would do that.  Josh would probably feel like it wasn't necessary and the others are on the shy side. 

It seemed like it was a done deal (Nick) until Josh finally said what Andi was waiting to hear.  Now F1 seems to be slightly in doubt.  It's pretty obvious Chris will be the next to go unless something disasterous happens during one of the other hometown dates.

Edited by Palomar

I must have missed the segment when Josh's football playing brother was mentioned.  Who is he?

Josh's little brother is Aaron Murray, former quarterback of the Georgia Bulldogs and recent Kansas City Chiefs draft pick. Statistically, he is an all-time great SEC quarterback and most likely would have gone higher in the draft if he had not torn up his ACL at the end of last season. I've literally been hoping for Josh to make hometown dates just so we could see him. Clearly I'm a UGA grad/fangirl.

And to the other poster upthread, they are not twins, but they do look almost exactly alike.

I haven't watched this season at all, but caught last night's episode. It's my impression that her Nick-love is a red herring. I think she will actually end up choosing that baseball player (Josh?). All that talk about "Oh, I don't know -- He hasn't expressed his feelings. It's easier with the other guys...." They're just trying to throw the audience off.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wish the other men would've never engaged in whining about Nick, but I also don't think there's much point to chasing Andi, either. Her preferences have been clear from early on, and have held true thus far.  After a certain point, putting on a full court press when Andi doesn't give much back is a waste of time.  Not saying she should, but I think it's clear when she's not interested in a man. It's ultimately her choice, and if it's about HER, and not winning per se, then I think the men can gauge her interest.   

If Nick is the final one, I'll be surprised.  He's aggressive in his pursuit, but I see nothing they have in common.  Which is interesting since Nick was the outwardly skeptical one.  Nothing wrong with being confident in your place among the guys, but if it were me, I'd probably not convey it to the others, and tread carefully in the THs.  I think in this environment, all you can see is your time together - you have no idea who else is making a connection, and just chooses not to share it.  I'd feel kind of stupid, as I suspect Nick may when he's not chosen and possibly watching the season, if I'm getting the "confident frontrunner" edit and it doesn't come to fruition.    

I don't care for Josh, either, but I also think that Andi has a type, he is her type, and that's who she will go with.  She seems about as self-absorbed as he is, so they're a good match.  I think she revels in Nick's attention and affection, but I am unconvinced she's actually interested in HIM.  As others have mentioned earlier in the season, she's been different with Josh compared to every other man from early on.  If he's not F1, I'll be surprised.  It's hard for me to believe Nick would get the edit that he's been getting for past few episodes, if he was F1.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 6

pieinmyeye: They did show the Manneken Pis briefly, when Andi was on her date with Marcus. They stood in front of it, but I think they didn't want to show it on tv in any real detail because it was in the background and the shot was such that you couldn't really see what was going on with the statue. I'm more surprised they managed to film in that area without ending up with any of the other variations on the statue making it into the shot (Manneken Waffles, whose sign has the statue peeing while holding a waffle in his other hand, or Manneken Frites, which features a peeing fry).

• Love 2
(edited)

I wish the other men would've never engaged in whining about Nick, but I also don't think there's much point to chasing Andi, either. Her preferences have been clear from early on, and have held true thus far.

Totally agree, Ribbon.  Guys would have known, but really couldn't do much about it.  

Edited by leighdear

I haven't watched this season at all, but caught last night's episode. It's my impression that her Nick-love is a red herring. I think she will actually end up choosing that baseball player (Josh?). All that talk about "Oh, I don't know -- He hasn't expressed his feelings. It's easier with the other guys...." They're just trying to throw the audience off.

Yeah, Nick is not getting a great edit, so it's unlikely he's F1. We all know TBTP have always been terrible editors - they can only maintain the suspense for the tween viewers, that's about it. She was so focused on the "too good to be true" business with Josh. That, plus the fact that they have very similar backgrounds/values and wouldn't have to change much to be with each other speaks volumes.

I actually think Nick would ultimately be bored with her. As much as she talks about the mental/intellectual stimulation in their relationship - I think they are probably from two different worlds and Andi seems like someone who is very much stuck in her ways. I can't wait to see the hometowns.

• Love 1

I was just laughing with glee through this whole episode. What a bunch of babies, especially Brian. I can practically hear his thoughts: Andi pretty! Brian like! Nick smart. Brian dumb. Brian SAD.

Nick and Andi sittin' in a tree. There's that relationship, and then there's everyone else. These super passionate relationships never seem to last long after the show's ended, but they're fun to watch. TeamNick all the way. The other guys are such morons. Newsflash: it's possible to play the game well AND have genuine feelings for the B'ette.

Chris creeps me the fuck out. This is totally unfair speculation, but I get a stealth misogyny vibe from him. He's way too traditional for Andi. Josh is gross. Marcus is sweet, but too quiet and kind of....moist?

• Love 2
(edited)

Nick doesn't appeal to me and I don't see any chemistry between him and Andi, but I also don't get why the guys are so angry at him. He's a salesman and he's selling the product (himself) to Andi. Being a little smug and not "one of the guys" is probably annoying for them to live with but it doesn't make him.... there for the wrong reasons. I haven't felt "sincerity" from him at all, so I thought it was really great when he choked up about the date.

That said, I don't see him winning. And if he wanted to be the next bachelor--if you don't come across as sweet and likeable and friendly, that's not happening either.

It's Josh, not Nick, whom I don't "get" at all. Why do they keep captioning him as "former baseball player"? Didn't he leave the minor leagues at 22? He's 29 now. I don't even know what he does or how he feels about it. I have an impression of him as one of those guys that everything came easy for when they were kids and then they were surprised to find out they were a "small fish in a big pond" after all and weren't going to succeed the way everyone expected. I wonder how he feels that his brother (older? younger?) is a successful pro athlete. Men revere that stuff so much. I just get some weird self esteem/self-centered issues from him and that he -does- have some sort of secret. Just a feeling. I trust him a lot less than Nick.

As for Chris. Small town America has zero appeal to me, but when you grow up on a big farm and the nearest town has around 500 people...yikes! You pretty much know your entire  "future dating pool" by the time you're eight years old and it's very, very small. Did he go away to college for four years? He seems like an intelligent guy and I can't help wondering how difficult it was to get from his farm and parents to wherever he needed to go for the many stages of trying out for this show.  

I also got a vibe last night--for the first time--that maybe he doesn't really want to be still at home with his parents--and on their farm--at all and feels trapped. I don't think he has a chance in Hell of winning, but I'm glad he made F4 because I'm very interested to see his hometown date and how he feels about the life there. (Oh, and I thought Andi was very rude with her "You go, Farmer" or whatever it was to the camera.)

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

So glad Brian and Dylan are history. Dylan is gross with his greasy hair and admission he doesn't wash his hands and while Brian may be a nice guy or a "catch" in real life, he comes off as mopey and pouts all the time. Which is a total turn off in my book. I still like Chris but obviously he's not right for Andi.  I used to like Nick but IMO he's only in this for the competition now. He wants to win the big prize and prove to the other guys that he is right about being the only one Andi is into.  I think he likes Andi but is more caught up in "winning". He just doesn't seem sincere. As others pointed out he's in salesman mode. He knows what to say to Andi to make himself stand out. Although his confession of "love" is the only one I believed. Josh seemed like he had a producer kicking the back of his chair as in "come on man tell the girl you love her like on the script" and he DID NOT want to do so then finally choked the words out. Totally insincere. I don't think he's all that into Andi. Josh seems very self centered.  He is a cuter  more well rehearsed version on Juan Palbo and yet Andi is eating it up.  If Josh was so into Andi he would be the one who was most upset by Nick constantly bragging he had this in the bag. yet Josh pretty much could care less.

Also I don't believe ANY of these men. Brian, Nick, Josh? and maybe even Marcus (I can't remember) claim that they have NEVER said "I Love you" to a woman or felt that way toward anyone before/ Really guys? You are 25 (Marcus) and in your 30's (the rest, I believe) and you have never fallen in love with anyone before. Please.

I hate the villain edit that Nick is getting. I don't think he's a bad guy. If you watch when they are at the ruins of the castle , he reaches out and puts his arm around Dylan? when Dylan walks too close to the edge or something.  I don't think he would be touching any of the other guys is they all hate him and want to kick his butt.

Strange that most of these guys are sort of throwing themselves at Andi- Nick included and yet she is so hot over Josh who is the only one it seems Andi has to win over and work for. Nick and Josh are the only ones she is really into making out with. I think she thinks Marcus is pretty to look at but he's too young for her and kind of boring.

• Love 2

Nick is getting a bad edit for sure but Nikki got the same treatment last year I felt and we know how that turned out. Not love but she did win!

When Nick was stumbling over his words on the date was he really trying to say he knew he was going to marry her because he'd never seen anyone fall so hard for him before??! That's a confident man! The assured talk about their unborn children and such would freak me out, I was waiting for him to pull out the photo album where he'd mashed their baby pics together. He does nerdily gush when he talks about her, which makes me think he is sincere.

Arlington Iowa may be in the middle of nowhere but Farmer still wears like hot pink shorts and v necks so he's at least a little more cosmopolitan than you'd expect!

I liked Dylan's ponytail. A LOT. He was so Ed Burns hot to me although extremely boring except when pickling Brian.

• Love 2
(edited)

So glad Brian and Dylan are history. Dylan is gross with his greasy hair and admission he doesn't wash his hands and while Brian may be a nice guy or a "catch" in real life, he comes off as mopey and pouts all the time. Which is a total turn off in my book. I still like Chris but obviously he's not right for Andi.  I used to like Nick but IMO he's only in this for the competition now. He wants to win the big prize and prove to the other guys that he is right about being the only one Andi is into.  I think he likes Andi but is more caught up in "winning". He just doesn't seem sincere. As others pointed out he's in salesman mode. He knows what to say to Andi to make himself stand out. Although his confession of "love" is the only one I believed. Josh seemed like he had a producer kicking the back of his chair as in "come on man tell the girl you love her like on the script" and he DID NOT want to do so then finally choked the words out. Totally insincere. I don't think he's all that into Andi. Josh seems very self centered.  He is a cuter  more well rehearsed version on Juan Palbo and yet Andi is eating it up.  If Josh was so into Andi he would be the one who was most upset by Nick constantly bragging he had this in the bag. yet Josh pretty much could care less.

Also I don't believe ANY of these men. Brian, Nick, Josh? and maybe even Marcus (I can't remember) claim that they have NEVER said "I Love you" to a woman or felt that way toward anyone before/ Really guys? You are 25 (Marcus) and in your 30's (the rest, I believe) and you have never fallen in love with anyone before. Please.

To me, Josh is confident in his place as well, and either TPTB choose not to show viewers his comments on it, or he knows how to keep things close to the vest.  At the very least, he's not showing his hand to the other guys, which is the best way to play it.  Mind you, I don't think he's that into Andi, either, and it'll be interesting to see if they last, assuming he's F1.  While on my lunch break, I watched a couple of clips again - one with Nick (to Andi) talking about how sure he is of them, her feelings, and getting married, the other one with Josh saying ILY.  Andi's poker face when Nick was declaring his confidence vs the way she lit up and abruptly sat up in rapt attention when Josh told her he was falling in love tells the tale.         

Marcus is handsome, but every time I see him I think the guy is at least mid-30s.  I can't figure out why he looks so much older, but I fear he will not age well.  He has a smarmy vibe that mars his attractive features.  Anyway, I don't think any of the other men are into Andi, either, all the more reason not to whine about Nick.  But then, as others already stated, they have to play the part.  I know I would, just to travel to interesting places.  I'd totally BS in my THs and around others about my feelings for the lead if it got me on a plane to, say, New Zealand, and put up in a nice hotel. 

Only now watching cause I was out last night, and I just have to say I loved seeing Andi and Josh eating on the streets of Ghent.  It looked like they were eating sandwiches, called broodjes, which are very, very popular for lunch.  They are a Belgian take on like a sub sandwich, but on real, crispy baguettes and usually with a creamy filling of some kind (like different variations on chicken salad or seafood salad, and then veggies on top if you want).  They are wonderful and very cheap and easy to grab on the go.

Ahhh, the whole thing is making me nostalgic for the food of Belgium, which was the best I've had anywhere.  My husband liked to say it had all the quality of French cuisine but without the pretension.  He's not wrong.

• Love 3

I'm from Iowa, and Chris's hometown is in a beautiful, albeit boring, part of the state, in the northeast.  Each week that Andi keeps him on, I'm more and more skeptical of whether she realizes what life on his farm would truly be like for her.  He's about an hour away from the bustling metropolises ; )  of Waterloo, Dubuque, or Cedar Rapids.  Of course, even small Iowa communities need district attorneys, to try all the meth cases.

I for one would love to see Chris as the next bachelor, if all of the girls were seeking a small town farming lifestyle.  But, if might veer towards being more of a FOX type show, then.  Didn't FOX actually air a farmer's wife type search a few years back?

See, I think it would be a HILARIOUS show!

As a wealthy farmer, he's got the built-in "theme" of wanting "a sweet girl that wants to leave the big, bad city for the simplicity of farm life".  They'll cast some more natural-looking girls with less makeup and less superficial trappings, along with the fish-out-of-water bar babes with fake tans and fake tits.

They'd have to film the beginning in Iowa instead of LA, and put the girls up in a farmhouse.  After weeding out the most inappropriate, they head overseas.

They'll have a whole new roster of local dates that focus more on country life than glamour & glitz, plus loads of "farm games" to play. I'd expect girls stomping through the corn fields in stilettos and lots of pig poop. 

It will be a "new" direction for the franchise, and I think they'd be fools not to go with it.  I'd definitely watch!  *LOL*

• Love 2

I was liking Chris a lot until he ganged up on Nick.  Not that I like NIck.  I don't see the appeal of him like, AT ALL, but I know that's a "to each his/her own" kind of thing. But Chris was doing the passive-agressive "you sit there and listen to what I have to say and don't interrupt me while I criticize you or dare to try to explain anything" which I've experienced and I hate.

Also, I love how Nick isn't being true to the "process" when he analyzes said "process" and schemes for how to improve his chances of succeeding in the "process."  That's just crazy.  Among other reasons, what else is there for them to talk about all day long except speculating what will happen next in this game?  I guess there's an unspoken gentlemen's agreement that you will pretend like you're all just bros hanging out together and not talk about the woman you are all dating or the "game" through which you have to "win" (ugh) her?  I like Chris but he was being too-too there.  

As @Sarah D. Bunting was fond of saying on the Amazing Race TWoP recaps:  "It the Amazing RACE.  Not the Amazing Montessori School."

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se. I think the point was that it becomes a problem if that's a woman's only option - great if you want to be a housewife, not so great if you want to do something else.

A woman is not more locked into that than anything else if she has an education behind her.  The same could be said about working, once you get into it, it's hard to change, you get pigeonholed in your career and your experience and it's hard to do something else.

The episode - here are some ways this episode seemed extremely staged.

1) Nick approaching the hotel front desk with a camera crew while smirking and trying not to laugh and they just hand him a room key without asking for any ID.  Total fake setup.  And let's be serious, if Bachelor Production did not want anything happening off script, if they did not want a bachelor seeing Andy on their own time - it would not be happening.

2) The group date guys sitting around the suite when Nick comes back from the date.  They all sit in awkward silence until finally someone speaks.  Why were they there?  If this was a real life situation where a guy you don't like walks over and you don't want to talk to him, you get up and go to your room, leave.  But they all sat there - so obvioulsy forced.  I mean it's all for the drama - what could they possibly have to talk about in that setting?

Brian - I liked him. I love his voice - it's so Ed Burns.  Do they seriously do the exit interviews right outside the door while the group inside is laughing and cheering raising up their champagne glasses?  Ouch.

Nick - it's like I look at him, and I try so hard to see him as attractive, but I just can't.  I seriously don't get it!

Edited by FamilyVan
  • Love 3
(edited)
I guess there's an unspoken gentlemen's agreement that you will pretend like you're all just bros hanging out together and not talk about the woman you are all dating or the "game" through which you have to "win" (ugh) her?

It's funny but I remember Jef saying Arie would talk about his dates with Emily to him when he got back to the hotel (by the way can I just say how fascinating I find Arie and Jef's friendship considering things came down to the two of them and there were all these rumors and mess with Emily after the show).

It came up when discussing the whole Arie/Cassie, the producer scandal and basically Jef stated that Arie would basically say that he always would get the sense that Emily was suspicious about something or that there was something she was waiting for him to say but he never knew what that was. But of course Arie was not edited as the villain of that season. 

It's the same with the sneaking off to see Andi. Arie went to Emily's hotel room after her 1 on 1 with Ryan and Sean later ran around Prague or wherever the hell they were "searching" for Andi but again, not a big deal because neither guy was the "villain" of his season. But it goes to show again how nothing Nick has done is outrageous or so awful.

Do they seriously do the exit interviews right outside the door while the group inside is laughing and cheering raising up their champagne glasses?  Ouch.

Yeah they do, specifically so they can get the reaction they want out of them. If they let some moments go by or give the contestant some time they can pull themselves together and just give a simple exit speech and leave. But sticking the camera in their face just as they've been eliminated, asking them a whole bunch of leading questions when all their emotions are right at the surface ups the likelihood of an embarrassing meltdown like Brian's last night, that the guys were laughing at him after he's been eliminated.

Edited by truthaboutluv
1) Nick approaching the hotel front desk with a camera crew while smirking and trying not to laugh and they just hand him a room key without asking for any ID.  Total fake setup.  And let's be serious, if Bachelor Production did not want anything happening off script, if they did not want a bachelor seeing Andy on their own time - it would not be happening.

Courtney pretty much confirmed this in her book when talking about how she "surprised" Ben with the skinny dipping invitation. The idea was hers, but production had to agree to it and orchestrate the logistics. 

Speaking of Courtney, getting a bad edit does not preclude someone from winning.

• Love 1
(edited)

As a wealthy farmer, he's got the built-in "theme" of wanting "a sweet girl that wants to leave the big, bad city for the simplicity of farm life".  They'll cast some more natural-looking girls with less makeup and less superficial trappings, along with the fish-out-of-water bar babes with fake tans and fake tits.

They'd have to film the beginning in Iowa instead of LA, and put the girls up in a farmhouse.  After weeding out the most inappropriate, they head overseas.

They'll have a whole new roster of local dates that focus more on country life than glamour & glitz, plus loads of "farm games" to play. I'd expect girls stomping through the corn fields in stilettos and lots of pig poop.

It will be a "new" direction for the franchise, and I think they'd be fools not to go with it.  I'd definitely watch!  *LOL*

It's been done!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_Wants_a_Wife_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Edited by Lovecat

Ahhh, it's the whole Pioneer Woman take on the Bachelor.  I see it - it could work.

I don't think Andi is really into Chris though.  You can tell, when she is not into a guy she says "awww" and "that's so sweet!".  When he took her outside at the end of the cocktail party for another kiss, as soon as he leaned away from her she turned away and began to walk back toward the house.  The body language was totally diferent than with Nick how she is draped all over him (shudder).

Dylan two weeks in a row dude! First the no hand washing and now the suma hair pony.

I definitely liked his sumo hair pony because otherwise, his hair always looked so greasy, nasty and hanging in his eyes. At least it was pulled back from his face, but knowing what we all know about him not washing his hands, I can only guess how often he washes his hair. From the looks of it, it's not all that often. 

My son is a current Senior @ UGA, so we've been cheering on Aaron Murray for the last several years. Josh is 4 or 5 years older than Aaron, but they sure do look alike. 

Andi's jeggings, or whatever her skintight pants are called, are annoying me. It seems that's all she took in her luggage, and in the three colors they were available. I don't want to see anymore of her camel toes, nor the weird way she stands cross-legged. She has a nice body, but a lot of her apparel choices do her no favors. She had the most matron-inspired hair at the RC, it made her look decades older than any of her "boys." 

• Love 1
Courtney pretty much confirmed this in her book when talking about how she "surprised" Ben with the skinny dipping invitation. The idea was hers, but production had to agree to it and orchestrate the logistics.

Yeah that's what I said about the Nick and the flowers. I can believe he thought of it and went to the producers to ask if he could but the timing of the delivery and all was all them.

Speaking of Courtney, getting a bad edit does not preclude someone from winning.

Don't forget Vienna but I don't think it's ever happened with The Bachelorette. 

It's been done!

Thank you for letting me know I'm not crazy. The whole time I was reading that, I kept thinking there was a show exactly like this some years ago.

(edited)

I didn't watch much of Ben's season, but I got the impression that Courtney was the one woman he was really into the entire time.  And supposedly shut down any criticism of her? Whereas in this season, I think it's been Josh's...competition to lose from very early on.  He's no where near as aggressive for Andi's time and attention, hasn't tried as hard as Nick has.  And to be honest, I feel like if Nick hadn't been as aggressive towards Andi, he wouldn't be a frontrunner.  I can't help but wonder what would it be like if Nick had played it cool(er) like Josh, or even some of the other men.  Marcus has been trying to put it on Andi as well, but seems more laid back about it.  As @Alapaki mentioned, Andi has a weird expectation of romantic pursuit, and it seems less about Nick than the "come and get some" perspective.  If it was say, Marcus, instead, he'd probably be a frontrunner.     

(edited)
I think it's been Josh's...competition to lose from very early on.  He's no where near as aggressive for Andi's time and attention, hasn't tried as hard as Nick has.  And to be honest, I feel like if Nick hadn't been as aggressive towards Andi, he wouldn't be a frontrunner.  I can't help but wonder what would it be like if Nick had played it cool(er) like Josh, or even some of the other men.

I see Nick and Josh as the F2.  FWIW, I think Josh hasn't necessarily been aggressive in trying to get time with Andi the way Nick has.  But when he's been with Andi, Josh has been very aggressive in terms of initiating physical contact and kissing.  Between that, his being a "jock", and being from her hometown, I'd say my money's on him to "win".

The other guys seem way more laid-back and non-aggressive in that regard.

Maybe it's because the other guys are used to situations in which they're the pursued.  Maybe they just don't tend to be competitive when it comes to women.  Maybe (likely) they're just not that into Andi.  

But I don't think it would take years of psycho-therapy to uncover Andi's preference for guys with a "come and get some", "that's a man", "you go cowboy" approach styles.  And it wouldn't be hard to peg Josh and Nick for being "forward" in their own ways.

Given that, I don't think it's a coincidence that, from what I can tell, Andi got a cast with exactly two guys who give her what she's looking for, and that those two guys  are still here at F4.

In most other seasons, I doubt Nick makes it past F10, if he even makes it past the first night.

Edited by Alapaki

..."you go cowboy" approach styles

I can't help thinking that if Chris had said he was a rancher--you know, a Real Man riding them horses and roping them steer--instead of a farmer (I'll bet Andi thinks: "milking cows, chewing on hay, riding a tractor"), he might have had more of a chance with her.

I guess she does a good job of hiding it when they're on the group date because I think she only has eyes for Josh and all the guys still seemed last night to think they had a good chance.

• Love 3

Aww Leigh. You so crack me up. I can't stop laughing. I would not watch Chris as the bachelor UNLESS they did it this way, they would have me laughing and tuned in from start to finish. You should write for reality TV.

It's fascinating to me that the producers are setting up the one person who seems to be taking this show the most seriously, the one who has watched every season and studied how it works, to be the villain.  I mean, it's almost like they're saying they don't want the guys to play the game, or if they do, don't be obvious about it. You'd think they'd admire that someone cares enough about this artificial environment that he's giving it his all.

I do think he's not just in it for the game though.  I think he does genuinely care for Andi.  Whether it's something could actually last I'm not sure yet, but I don't think he's insincere when he says he's here for her.

Plus, I just don't buy that none of the other guys had ever seen the show before coming on.  Nope.  Don't believe it.  If they didn't at least watch a few episodes then they are morons.  Who goes onto a reality show without knowing the basics of what's involved?

And then after she'd already spent that time with him, she gives him the group date rose to spend more alone time with him. Yes it may not be the most PC of Nick to say blatantly he doesn't think the other guys were any threat to him but it's not surprising he got so confident and was certain that she would pick him to go to HTD.

Yeah, but the fact that her preference is so obvious is what has created the tension and the "gang up on Nick" mentality.  These guys are clearly jealous and can't do anything else about it except bitch about him.

I see no chemistry at all bw Andi and Chris.  Should have been a final 3, not 4.

I sense producer manipulation there.  Having gotten Chris this far, no way they were going to pass up the opportunity to do the "city girl goes to the farm" date next week.  She should dump that stiff Josh.  I see nothing appealing about him at all after you get past the looks.  And I don't sense much chemistry there either.

• Love 1
(edited)

I see Nick and Josh as the F2.  FWIW, I think Josh hasn't necessarily been aggressive in trying to get time with Andi the way Nick has.  But when he's been with Andi, Nick has been very aggressive in terms of initiating physical contact and kissing.  Between that, his being a "jock", and being from her hometown, I'd say my money's on him to "win".

Did you mean Josh at the bolded?  Just want to ensure I understand.  If so, I see your point.  I can't remember if, early on, it was Nick or Josh to whom Andi said something like, "Are you gonna kiss me or what?" Of course, Josh also seemed the least concerned about Nick, and either isn't giving THs and having conversations akin to "the only great job Andi's done is kept me around" (deleted scene) or it's not being shown.  I don't necessarily like Josh, but I think he's playing it a LOT smarter than Nick is.  I tend to believe that those who are truly confident don't have to announce anything, but that's just me. 

No doubt that Nick is being directly asked questions in his THs, but how he responds is certainly his choice. I agree with @leighdear in that if Nick has watched at least one season of the show, he should be more aware than anyone of how someone can come across.  I know "frankenbiting" is real, but I doubt they spliced everything, especially in this episode.  Nick's funny, albeit unintentionally. 

Also, goofy Bachelors!

I can't help thinking that if Chris had said he was a rancher--you know, a Real Man riding them horses and roping them steer--instead of a farmer (I'll bet Andi thinks: "milking cows, chewing on hay, riding a tractor"), he might have had more of a chance with her.

Ha! True.

Did you mean Josh at the bolded?  Just want to ensure I understand.  If so, I see your point.  I can't remember if, early on, it was Nick or Josh to whom Andi said something like, "Are you gonna kiss me or what?" Of course, Josh also seemed the least concerned about Nick,

Yes, I did mean Josh.  Thx for the catch.

I do think it's interesting that Josh isn't piling on Nick.  It might suggest that he has this in the bag and doesn't need to be threatened by anyone.  

If Josh ends up winning, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone says that Andi's decision was obvious from the get-go, and that Nick's edit is purely to make it look like Andi's is undecided.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't necessarily like Josh, but I think he's playing it a LOT smarter than Nick is.

I do, too. If he and Nick make F2 and Josh isn't chosen, I think he'd be a shoe-in as the next Bachelor. Nick? Unless he becomes very different--more endearing and less polarizing to fans--in the next couple of weeks, I think TB would go with Chris or even Marcus (handsome, shy and dull) instead.

I don't dislike Nick, but there's nothing about him that would attract me to him in real life. The only negative feeling I've had toward him was when he's talking about love and can't stop smirking. Now I get it--as he said, he's never known anyone who was so much in love with HIM as Andi is!  I think that's a little odd but I do think that's how he sees her and why he's so confident compared with the others (plus Josh--who really DOES seem to have the inside track--apparently is very "mum" about it. Which is very smart of him, imo.)

Her reaction to Josh saying he was falling in love with her was so different from how she reacts when anyone else says it. When he said it, it wasn't an ego thing--it really mattered to her because (imo) she feels it for him (and has from the beginning) and is afraid of being hurt.

I think Nick (if he isn't F1 and Josh is instead--which I think he will be unless Andi gets scared) will be shocked to see how she relates to Josh. For a salesman, I don't think he's reading her right at all (and if I were her I'd be really annoyed by a guy talking about how much he thinks it's a done deal because of how much I love him. It's kind of rude.)

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1
(edited)

Maybe it's just me but I've gotten zero indication that Nick has any interest in being The Bachelor. Like as much of a moron as Juan Pablo was, I definitely felt like Andi almost over-played her dramatic exit like she was auditioning for The Bachelorette. Nick seems pretty Andi focused to me to the point if not caring if he's not like because he's so certain she will pick him. Which of course means she won't.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I think that of Nick. Especially when they film him from the side/back. He has a very elaborate comb forward/up in attempt to cover his male pattern hair loss.

My husband I think Nick has plugs! His hair upfront looks like it is darker.

Even though the guys didn't know that Nick pulled the ol' Bachelor/ette trope of sneaking over to get extra points with the lead, it illustrated the point that he studied the show and is playing the game. It seemed to me they were implying he's playing the game to be the next Bachelor, so that would be Wrong Reasons that he doesn't really care about Andi. I also thought he was playing some salesman type hypnosis mumbo jumbo by saying to Andi that he's never felt anyone falling in love with HIM the way Andi is! These are serious mind games...or if he's sincere, then he seems a bit crazy. Not like Casey "Guard and Protect Your Heart" crazy, but some other type of like category that I've never seen in my life. If he DOES "win" in the end, I could see him becoming some type of motivational speaker teaching people the power to influence other people using mind control. It IS creepy and off--even though the other guys couldn't pinpoint what exactly it is about him without any examples. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that hotel clerk was all set to say, "Sir, I need to see some ID" or "We only have one guest registered to this room"--but the power of his smarmy smirk put her in a trance and she handed the key right over!

I don't see any of these guys as Bachelor material! Chris might be a nice guy, but he is BORING! And he didn't even say "housewife," but "homemaker"! To me that implies an extremely traditional way of life. Like you are darning socks and canning vegetables, not dropping the kids off at preschool and having time for a yoga class or something. (I'm still over here wearing my gingham Marquel for Bachelor shirt!)

• Love 1

I do think it's interesting that Josh isn't piling on Nick.  It might suggest that he has this in the bag and doesn't need to be threatened by anyone.  

If Josh ends up winning, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone says that Andi's decision was obvious from the get-go, and that Nick's edit is purely to make it look like Andi's is undecided.

Yeah, I think Josh has this in the bag and all the Nick drama is just to distract from the fact that she's been super into Josh since he got out of the limo and she said "DAMN." I think the edit is this whole "too good to be true, he's the type that always burns me" thing, but in actuality I think she's had her mind made up for a few weeks now. She absolutely lit up when he said he's falling in love with her. I mean, beaming. To the point where I was thinking she should play it cooler! My personal favorite is Chris but I'd rather see him as the Bachelor because I don't see any chemistry between he and Andi. I don't think she's his type and I don't think she wants to live in Iowa. I'll keep my opinions about Nick to myself but I will say that he should have made it more difficult for editors to do such a thorough villain edit. 

• Love 1
It seemed to me they were implying he's playing the game to be the next Bachelor

If this is the case, he's not doing it right.  The way to become the Bachelor is to be a) the guy who's only concerned about the girl not getting hurt and "protecting" her by calling out those who are "not there for the right reasons"; b) the guy who cares (or seems to care) about that more than he does actually ending up with the girl; c) the guy who has a potentially interesting backstory that the producers can exploit (preferably with an adorable 6 year old daughter or son); d) the guy who ends up 4th or 3rd.

Except for the kid thing, Chris is fitting all the requirements so far.  Nick, not so much.  I, too, think that the producers probably would die to get the opportunity to market The Bachelor: Down on the Farm, if for no other reason then so they can show a literal "roll in the hay."

• Love 3