Type keyword(s) to search

Murder In The Bayou - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Five part docu-series premieres on Showtime September 13, 2019

Based on a best-selling book, this five-part true crime docu-series investigates the unsolved murders of 8 women whose bodies were discovered in drainage canals and on desolate back roads in and around Jennings, Louisiana. In examining the lives of the young victims - and the violent sex and drug trade they were a part of - the series uncovers the secrets of this troubled town. These discoveries lead to even more shocking revelations, exposing corruption, bad actors and institutional injustices that have left the town still searching for truth.

S1.E1: A Body in a Canal

Between 2005 and 2007, the bodies of four young women are discovered in and around the town of Jennings, Louisiana, deep in the heart of Cajun country. All four are from the poorer south side of town. An arrest for one of the murders is made, but the suspects are released a short time later without explanation.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 9/13/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I know this will be a Master of the Obvious statement since we're talking about a documentary about unsolved murders, but man was the first episode deeply unsettling.

Watching the premiere reminded me of when I watched The Wire. About halfway through the first episode, I gave up trying to remember everyone's names and how they all knew each other because there were just so many people. Thank goodness for all of the chyrons reminding me who each person was and how they knew which victim. Even so, now that the episode is over, I can't remember half of their names!

I've definitely been sucked into the story so I'm already preemptively disappointed because the murders are  unsolved. I'm sure that by the end of the series, I'll be even more frustrated that there's no resolution. I hope that maybe the show will get some key information to come to light so that we can eventually find out who killed these women.

• Love 2

S01.E02: Death on Me

The body count in Jennings continues to grow, with four more victims discovered over the next year. Police state that the women lived “high risk lifestyles”, and all were known by one of the original suspects, Frankie Richard. And yet, police seem unable to solve the crimes. After local journalist Scott Lewis breaks the story, the case gains national attention, and investigative journalist Ethan Brown becomes intrigued. Allegations of police misconduct arise. Something isn't adding up.

Promo:

Clip: All he did was piss me off

Original air date: 9/20/19

• Love 1

I'm all in. I was afraid that it would be disrespectful of the police and the women, but so far it seems even handed. That is a rare occurrence with so called documentaries lately. I read the reviews for the book over on Amazon and the most critical say it's biased.

What was chilling part for me was the daughter not batting an eye that her father was sleeping with her best friend. What kind of world did she grow up in where THAT is okey dokey?

These murders are probably unsolved because there is a dearth of evidence from some of the bodies being in water for a prolonged period. A case like this would likely require someone to rat out the person/people involved.

• Love 1

The drug connection in all these cases cannot be emphasized enough.  Not to denigrate the inherent tragedy in this community, but tweakers be tweakers, and bad, bad things often ensue.  One cannot imagine the levels of paranoia, depravity, desperation and insanity that accompany this type of drug use, unless one has seen it firsthand.  

Sadly, this means that almost all witness testimony is suspect, and sorting through the mess is nigh impossible.

• Love 2
On 9/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, WaltersHair said:

What was chilling part for me was the daughter not batting an eye that her father was sleeping with her best friend. What kind of world did she grow up in where THAT is okey dokey?

I know, right? When she said it didn't bother her, I was like uh, maybe it should?

• Love 1

S1.E3: An Unholy Union

The more time investigative reporter Ethan Brown spends in Jennings, the clearer it becomes to him that this is not the work of a serial killer at all. Ethan examines law enforcement's investigation into the homicides and comes across a number of alarming details. Numerous members of the law enforcement community have ties to the victims and the initial suspect, Frankie Richard.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 9/27/19

Man, I would love if Paul Ekman (expert on facial microexpressions) watched some of these interviews and gave us his opinion. Now that we're on the third episode, it's becoming more apparent that the stories aren't adding up. When Tracee Chaisson was asked if she knew anything about the Chevy Silverado purchased by Warren Gary (which numerous witnesses said was the car Kristen Lopez was spotted in with Connie Siler, Frankie Richard, Hannah Conner, and DUN DUN DUN Tracee Chaisson immediately before her death). Tracee's "I don't know nothing!" looked and sounded so fake.

I can't believe that Warren Gary was made head of evidence after that. WTF? There's circling the wagons to protect your own (which can be problematic in itself) and then there's giving a huge middle finger.

The extent of the various people in the police department who were doing drugs and having sex with these girls is sadly not very surprising.

• Love 3

S1.E4: A Precarious Place

Jennings is situated right off Interstate 10 between Houston and New Orleans, placing it on the path of a major drug route. Investigative reporter Ethan Brown discovers that several of the murder victims were known to be police informants as well as drug users, which put them in a precarious place.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 10/4/19

• Love 1

SEASON FINALE!

S1.E5: God Don't Sleep

Over a decade has passed since the Jeff Davis 8 murders and the families of the victims are still searching for answers. Ethan Brown looks further into what exactly the victims may have known and what has stopped these cases from being solved. His search leads him to a shuttered motel called the Boudreaux Inn, a site of sex and drug trade activity at the time of the murders.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 10/11/19