Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Media for The Watch

‘The Watch’: BBC America Series Adaptation Of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Casts Adam Hugill As Carrot

The Watch, BBC America’s eight-episode series based on Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels, has cast its first main character.

British actor Adam Hugill (Pennyworth) has landed one of the lead roles in the series, playing Carrot.

Described as a “punk rock thriller” inspired by the City Watch subset of Discworld novels, the character-driven series centers on Pratchett’s misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness from both the past and future in a perilous quest.

Bunch of new actors announced! I'm not opposed to changing a character's sex or race. What I dislike is changes to their actual characters. "Throat, the city’s best snitch, with a gang of freelance henchmen at her beck and call." That sounds nothing like the CMOT Dibbler I know.

What I'd do, I'd start Throat off as the one we know, a many times failed entrepreneur. New scheme in each episode. Each one crashes and burns. Maybe the snitch role is the one that sticks.

Alternately, the other way around. The snitch is something that fails within the first couple of episodes, and she has to resort to selling sausages in a bun.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anduin said:

Bunch of new actors announced! I'm not opposed to changing a character's sex or race. What I dislike is changes to their actual characters. "Throat, the city’s best snitch, with a gang of freelance henchmen at her beck and call." That sounds nothing like the CMOT Dibbler I know.

What I'd do, I'd start Throat off as the one we know, a many times failed entrepreneur. New scheme in each episode. Each one crashes and burns. Maybe the snitch role is the one that sticks.

Alternately, the other way around. The snitch is something that fails within the first couple of episodes, and she has to resort to selling sausages in a bun.

Aye indeed, everything I've seen so far about this show bears very little resemblance to the characters and situations I know so well - as if they've simply taken the names and places and a few basic story outlines from the entire Watch series and then jumbled them up to create something entirely new. And that isn't something I'm really interested in watching - I was hoping to see the books come to life. A hopeless mishmash will just frustrate me. 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llywela said:

Aye indeed, everything I've seen so far about this show bears very little resemblance to the characters and situations I know so well - as if they've simply taken the names and places and a few basic story outlines from the entire Watch series and then jumbled them up to create something entirely new. And that isn't something I'm really interested in watching - I was hoping to see the books come to life. A hopeless mishmash will just frustrate me. 😞

Yes, it's odd. I wonder why. If I were asked to adapt something from one medium to another,  it probably wouldn't be 100%, but it would be more similar than this sounds.

Rhianna Pratchett is involved, she manages her father's production company. I'm interested to see if she says anything about these changes.

• Like 1