Type keyword(s) to search

Not Just Marvel's Batman: Moon Knight in the Media

• Start Topic

Official casting for this series should be coming along very soon.  On one of the filming-related sites I check for other things, I happened to notice that Moon Knight appears to be lined up to go into production sometime in the near future, probably under a different working title just so it can fly under the radar.  I don't know the specific dates, but it will be sometime fairly soon.

All sorts of rumors have circulated about the names being tossed around in consideration for the lead role, including Pedro Pascal, who is, of course, currently the lead in The Mandalorian for Disney+.  Since Pedro is mostly doing voice-only work in The Mandalorian, I'm not sure if he could get away with doing Moon Knight for Disney+ too, without conflict.  Maybe? 

There is also a chance that The Mandalorian is intended to only be a limited series (no one seems to know) with a chance to segue into movies, in which case Pedro could be freed up to appear regularly in Moon Knight and just work on Mandalorian movies once in a while.

In any case, Pedro is certainly not the only name mentioned as the possible lead in Moon Knight.  So we should find out who it will be any day now, I think, because, once production begins, word will get out anyway.

Here are a couple of recent articles --

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/moon-knight-might-be-the-marvel-and-mandalorian-crossover-you-didnt-know-you-needed.html/

https://cosmicbook.news/pedro-pascal-moon-knight

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

Since Pedro Pascal's name was tossed out a while back, there have been a few more rumors of random potential actors in Moon Knight.  Pedro's name seems to have fallen out of the Moon Knight conversation, so I don't think he will be involved in it -- at least not in the lead role.

I don't know when the cast will be revealed, but the production of Moon Knight seems to have been pushed to November, in Atlanta (it was originally supposed to film in August) --

"RUMOR: Moon Knight Production Start Date and Filming Location Revealed"

Other recent articles --

"Sorry, Marvel Fans - Daniel Radcliffe Has Debunked Those Moon Knight Rumors"

"The Witcher Writer Joins Disney+'s Moon Knight Creative Team"

"Haunting of The Hill House Actor Knows Fans Want Him as Moon Knight"

• Love 1

EW: Ethan Hawke says Oscar Isaac recruited him in a coffee shop for Marvel's Moon Knight

the actor revealed on Late Night with Seth Meyers that Moon Knight star Oscar Isaac really did recruit him for the series in a coffee shop. "I heard about it from Oscar Isaac, who lives like three blocks down the street from me in Brooklyn," he says. "I was at a coffee shop, he came up to me. He's like, 'Hey, I really liked The Good Lord Bird.' I was like 'Oh, cool, I really like your work. You're amazing.' He's like, 'Hey, want to be in the Moon Knight with me?' I was like ... yeah! So, it happened the right way."

• Love 1

Oscar Isaac Says Marvel's Moon Knight Will Be A Groundbreaking Show
BY GRAEME GUTTMANN    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/moon-knight-show-oscar-isaac-groundbreaking-comments/ 

Spoiler

Oscar Isaac touted his upcoming Disney+ Marvel series Moon Knight as groundbreaking. Isaac will star as Marc Spector, a former mercenary who is left for dead during a mission gone wrong. Spector is then given a second chance at life from the Egyptian moon god Khonshu, who imbues Marc with superpowered abilities. Sometimes referred to as Marvel's answer to Batman, Moon Knight is an avenger for the innocent and he often takes on different aliases in the comics to hide his identity. Little is known about Isaac's iteration of the character as Marvel has remained tight-lipped about what it has in store for the upcoming series.
Ethan Hawke will star as Moon Knight's villain, while May Calamawy is also set to appear in an undisclosed role. Rumors also surfaced that Gaspard Ulliel would be playing Midnight Man, a minor villain that faces off against Moon Knight in the comics. Similarly, photos of Mark Ruffalo with Isaac stoked speculation that Hulk could be appearing in Moon Knight. The series does not have a release date, but it set to debut sometime in 2022, with production ongoing in Budapest. Moon Knight will have six 40-50 minute long episodes.
As filming continues, videos and photos have appeared from the set of Moon Knight and Isaac was able to offer a slight tease for the series while doing press for his latest film, The Card Counter. When asked what he could say about the series, the actor revealed that it wasn't much. Isaac did say, however, that "[Moon Knight] is going to be a groundbreaking show." ... .

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Some stuff from the Disney+ Day about “Moon Knight”.

FEAdORwUUAQfHHS?format=jpg&name=medium
“Moon Knight,” A new globetrotting action-adventure series featuring a complex vigilante, Oscar Isaac who plays Marc Spector, who suffers from dissociative identity disorder and believes himself to be the human avatar of the Egyptian god Khonshu. In the teaser, he says “I can’t tell the difference between my waking life and dreams”. The multiple identities who live inside him find themselves thrust into a deadly war of the gods against the backdrop of modern and ancient Egypt. 

The cast includes Ethan Hawke, who is playing the main antagonist of Moon Knight. 
Mohamed Diab, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead are directing the series.
Jeremy Slater is the head writer.

FEAimLiXsAc7nJV?format=jpg&name=large

FEAimLlXEAEdhAY?format=jpg&name=large

FEAimLhWQAYXfEA?format=jpg&name=large

FEA4ggeXwAEFe54?format=jpg&name=4096x409

moon-knight-header-2.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

• Love 1

It's a terrible and tremendous loss. Ulliel was a supreme talent. Not that he needed validation from the U.S. film industry but I really hoped that Moon Knight would give him the stateside notice that HANNIBAL RISING failed to do.

• Love 1

Why Moon Knight star Ethan Hawke was 'apprehensive' about doing a superhero project
By Derek Lawrence   January 24, 2022
https://ew.com/tv/ethan-hawke-moon-knight-villain/ 

At least this year it will be. Long missing from Hawke's diverse résumé was an appearance in the superhero world, but it turns out all it took to seal the deal was fellow Brooklynite Oscar Isaac running into him at a coffee shop and asking.

"The comic book world meant a lot to me when I was younger," Hawke says. "I was always a little apprehensive; there's a certain kind of actor that really excels in that universe, and I'm still not sure I'm one of them. But then Oscar asked me, and I really respect him. And I knew that if he went in, he was going to go all in, and it's fun to do any genre with people who are all in. Mohamed Diab, I really like his films, he's a special director. So it just became about the project, and it wasn't an intellectual decision at all; it was like, 'Oh, let's do something cool with these guys.' And the more I learned about the Moon Knight, the more turned on I got, because it's so much better than trying to create something that the audience already has a big agenda with. Like, if you do Batman or Superman or Hulk, any of these famous ones, the fans have so many preconceived things that they want from it. It's like playing Hamlet. Ninety percent of people there have an opinion about how Hamlet should be played. I love doing Shakespeare in front of student audiences because they don't have a big agenda. They didn't see how much better Patrick Stewart did it than you. They're just accepting of how you did it. And with Moon Knight, we get to create a world and a character. The fan in me always enjoys the first movie. I love learning about how the hell Captain America came to be — those are my favorite parts of the story."
While specifics of Hawke's character are still unconfirmed, he shares with EW that psychiatrist Carl Jung and infamous cult leader David Koresh were among the inspirations for his performance. "Your gut leads you," he explains. "The uber-rich villain mastermind isn't interesting to me. I love the ones who believe that they're a good person and that's why they have to kill you. That, I find really terrifying."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Oscar Isaac and Jared Leto Bond Over ‘Moon Knight,’ ‘Morbius’ and Going All-Out With Their Performances
By Adam B. Vary    Feb 2, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/features/oscar-isaac-moon-knight-jared-leto-morbius-house-of-gucci-1235169054/ 

LETO: Moon Knight and Morbius. Both interesting because [they’re] titles a lot of people are going to be introduced to for the first time, right?

ISAAC: I’d never heard of “Moon Knight” before, and I collected comics when I was younger. I’d heard of “Morbius,” but I’d never heard of “Moon Knight.” I don’t know how the process was for you because it’s a feature film, we’re a limited series. There was a lot of room to try stuff because there wasn’t the pressure that we got to make sure we make however many hundreds of millions of dollars on the opening weekend. So we could make it very point-of-view. We could make very weird decisions. At the moment, at least — and I don’t imagine it’s going to go backwards — it feels like that’s where more of the risk is being taken because it can financially.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Marvel’s Moon Knight Is ‘Brutal’, Says Kevin Feige: ‘We’re Not Pulling Back’ – Exclusive Image
By Ben Travis   February 12, 2022
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/marvel-moon-knight-brutal-kevin-feige-not-pulling-back-exclusive/

There’s a harder edge to Moon Knight – aka Steven Grant, aka Marc Spector – that Marvel boss Kevin Feige isn’t shying away from. “He’s brutal,” Feige tells Empire, citing the streaming service as a space to expand what an MCU story can be. “It’s been fun to work with Disney+ and see the boundaries shifting on what we’re able to do. There are moments [in the series] when Moon Knight is wailing on another character, and it is loud and brutal, and the knee-jerk reaction is, ‘We’re gonna pull back on this, right?’ No. We’re not pulling back. There’s a tonal shift. This is a different thing. This is Moon Knight.”

It’s not just Moon Knight’s bloodied fists that mark a departure for the MCU – for one, his power-set is linked to a bird-skulled Egyptian deity known as Khonshu. But it’s also a show that looks set to deal sensitively with its central character’s mental health condition. “It is risky,” admits Isaac. “He’s an obscure hero, and the things we’re dealing with are very different. But because it’s a limited series, rather than a movie, the pressure isn’t there to make sure the opening weekend is massive. We’re able to take more risks, to bring that experimental quality on a huge scale.” Still, from the launch of Iron Man, to the assembling of The Avengers, to the double-whammy of Infinity War and Endgame, something has become clear: when Marvel takes risks, they tend to succeed in a major way.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

How Marvel’s Kevin Feige Convinced Oscar Isaac to Join the MCU
By Russ Milheim   Feb 17, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-kevin-feige-oscar-isaac-mcu-join 

In an interview with Empire Magazine, both Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige and Moon Knight star Oscar Isaac discussed bringing the show onto the screen.

So how does such an unknown character get to carry their own Disney+ show? Feige made it clear how "[they've] always loved Moon Knight," and that the opportunities the streaming service provided them was the perfect vehicle to bring his story to life:

“We’ve always loved Moon Knight... he always fascinated us as something we hadn’t seen before, [so] when the Disney+ idea came up, it quickly became one of the first things we wanted to do, because we loved the story.”
“We’d always liked [Isaac]... and he clearly likes this world — Star Wars, X-Men — but we hadn’t found the right thing, necessarily. We started talking [about Moon Knight], and he had a couple of outside-the-box ideas that we were like, ’Maybe this could work..: And spoiler alert: they do.”

The actor under the Egyptian-inspired costume noted how "in a way it was a test...do they want.. my creativity...[or] a company man:"

“In a way it was a test. 'Do they want me to bring my creativity to this, or do they want a company man who’ll do whatever they say?’” Feige was very much after the former, and so began the hard task — for Isaac — of figuring out how to play one character with two (or possibly more) distinct personalities.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Moon Knight Has 'No Attachment to Current MCU' Says Producer
By AARON PERINE - March 12, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/moon-knight-no-attachment-current-mcu-producer/ 

Moon Knight's producer says the series has "no attachment to the current MCU". Marvel sent out a press briefing about the series and executive producer Grant Curtis shared his excitement for getting to build the character from the ground-up. "There's no attachment to the current MCU. He's brand-new, and he is going on a brand-new adventure. We really think the fans are going to enjoy it," he said. Now, that doesn't mean that Moon Knight lives outside of this ecosystem. Rather, Oscar Isaac's hero isn't building on the Phase 1 heroes. He might live in the same world, but this supernatural wing of the MCU is starting from a very different place. You can see the tendrils of this mystic influence creeping in from a variety of fronts. Dane Whitman's discovery at the end of Eternals, along with that other big reveal from that movie seems like a clue. Things are going to get weird for the Marvel franchise, and fans can't wait to see it all unfold.

"There are multiple aspects of Moon Knight that get us internally jazzed at Marvel Studios. But one of the unique aspects of this character is it's taking Marvel Studios to its Iron Man and Tony Stark roots," Curtis shared. "That was a character that was obviously built from the ground up, and it is the same with Marc Spector."

"We're absolutely embracing the supernatural aspects of what was in publishing, the Egyptian gods, this ruthless Egyptian god Khonshu that manipulates Marc to do his bidding," he added. "We're embracing all that. We love stuff that goes bump in the night."
"It's a story about identity and finding one's true self," Curtis explained. "The journey that Marc Spector is on during our whole show is: Who am I? And how do I reconcile portions of my past, present and potential future that I don't necessarily agree with? Coming to terms with our baggage and learning to live with ourselves is what we all deal with on a day-to-day basis."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Moon Knight’s rise from least likely superhero to Marvel’s next screen star
By Michael Idato   MARCH 16, 2022
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/meet-moon-knight-the-latest-but-least-likely-marvel-superhero-20220314-p5a4dh.html 

Spoiler

And as a man – and a former mercenary – with dissociative identity disorder (DID), Moon Knight isn’t so much an ordinary mortal with a superhero identity, but a single superhero with several extraordinary alter-egos. Marc Spector is his real name, but his other identities include the mild-mannered Steven Grant and the more streetwise detective Mr Knight.

Moon Knight is a study of the human mind,” Isaac says. “For me, that is what was so exciting. Then I found that I had an incredibly willing partners in [president of Marvel Studios] Kevin Feige. He was excited to push the envelope and allowed for conversations about every aspect of the show to make it a very personal story as well.
“I hadn’t expected that it was going to be the most creatively collaborative experience of my career,” Isaac says. The series explores “what the mind is capable of when it needs to survive, where people, to survive horrible, awful sustained abuse and trauma, can create an alter that can take on the abuse and an ‘alter’ that has no idea that it’s happened.”

The disorder has mostly been sensationalised in movies, Isaac says. Among the better known films which explore the issue are The Three Faces of Eve (1957) which starred Joanne Woodward, Frankie & Alice (2010), which starred Halle Berry, and perhaps the most famous, Sybil (1976), which starred Sally Field.

“[Moon Knight] is definitely a fictitious version of it, and we in no means are saying this is a true to life, complete exploration of it, but emotionally it was incredibly important that’s what the key of it was,” Isaac says. “I found that we could use the language of this genre to really create this psychological thriller and in the middle of it create a really indelible, beautiful character.”
Isaac did not completely immerse himself in the comic book history, but did sit down with a bound volume of the original comic stories. “I won’t say I read every single page of it, but I did go into it and kind of see the evolutions of what happened,” he says.

“I was definitely inspired, but also, it was clear that this character was so mutable. It’s almost like every writer took him as a totem and allowed them to just go and play with wherever their imagination took them. So, it felt like that gave us license to take the spirit of it, take the things that felt resonant and emotional to us and then try to eschew from some of the more clichéd elements of it.”

Spoiler

The casting of Ethan Hawke as Moon Knight’s nemesis Arthur Harrow, a cult leader who is connected with another Egyptian god, “the devourer of the dead” Ammit, gives the series an unusually cinematic quality given its two leads are more frequently seen in movies.

In truth, Hawke’s casting was a random twist on the fact that Isaac and Hawke live near each other and, during a random conversation at their local coffee shop, Isaac took a chance and asked Hawke if he was interested in joining the project.“I had never met him before, and I went up to him and I just said, hey, I am such a fan of your work, and I am working on this Marvel thing and I think you’d be so great in it,” Isaac says. “We made a date to have some tequilas, got really drunk and talked about it. And then I got him to say yes.”

Spoiler

Though the comic book resides more fully in the idea that former mercenary Marc Spector is the alter-ego of Moon Knight, but the television series gives substantial screen time to Steven Grant, a mild-mannered man whose view of the world is wholly sincere. He’s a very different touchstone for a superhero alter-ego.

“We definitely are introduced to the world through Steven and I think that was a really smart take by [series creator] Jeremy Slater, who kind of cracked the code before I got on board,” Isaac says. “I inherited the structure, the basic skeleton and then from there, we really fleshed the whole thing out.

“It’s not going to be a traditional origin story that’s totally chronological in that way,” Isaac says. ’You get introduced in medias res [that is, in the middle of the story] and for me, what was most important is that it’s point of view is the characters, so you, the audience, are in his skin, living this life. That mystery unfolds [for the audience] as it unfolds for him.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1