Type keyword(s) to search

How's That...? Media for What If...?

• Start Topic

Who Voices Zombie Hunter Spider-Man in Marvel's What If...?
By RUSS BURLINGAME - September 8, 2021
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/who-voices-zombie-hunter-spider-man-in-marvels-what-if/ 

Spider-Man made an appearance as "Zombie Hunter Spider-Man," complete with a fancy cape, on today's episode of What If...?, but it wasn't Tom Holland behind the voice. Instead, Mad Men and The Secret Life of the American Teenager actor Hudson Thames took on the part, officially becoming the first person to name Spider-Man's uncle, Ben Parker, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (multiverse?). Fans knew as early as August that Holland would not be returning to the role of Spider-Man for this episode of What If...?, but not who would step in to play the role in his stead.

The reasons behind Holland's absence are unclear, but it could be an array of reasons ranging from Holland's contract with Sony to his busy schedule. Either way, fan reception to Thames so far has been good.

Laura Karpman - Sorry (From "What If...? (Episode 4)"/Audio Only)
MarvelMusicVEVO   Sep 8, 2021

Edited by tv echo

Meet 'Party Thor' in Marvel's What If...? episode 7 first look
By Sydney Bucksbaum     September 21, 2021
https://ew.com/tv/marvel-what-if-episode-7-first-look-party-thor/ 

EW has your exclusive first look at this week's episode 7 "What If ... Thor Was an Only Child?" that head writer AC Bradley tells EW is "fun and silly" — no world-ending events or murdered Avengers in sight. "I love the Thor-Jane relationship and we wanted to play around with that part of the love story without the framework of tragedy," Bradley says. "The story took root from a love of '80s and '90s rom-coms and party films. After so many serious episodes, what's the most fun we could possibly have? And the answer to that is: Let Thor throw a party."

Director Bryan Andrews laughs as he admits that "some of the stuff has already been a little bit leaked because of merchandising, there's like shirts that say 'Party Thor!' so it lets you know a certain degree of the attitude behind this episode." But he's excited for fans to see the "complete 180 from the couple episodes that came before that were more serious, more dramatic, tragedy and shock. It's going to be a really great palate cleanser from the stuff that came before and it will set you up for the stuff that will come after."
Andrews explains that this comedic and light version of Thor is extremely different from what fans have seen in Thor: Ragnarok and even post-Blip in Avengers: Endgame. "We get to reinvent him because his entire life from the beginning to this point is totally different so we got to create a brand new version of Thor, truly," he says. "We push that comedy. It does take place in the timeframe roughly of what we think of as Thor so there are some other characters that we do get to see from that movie — Jane Foster makes an appearance as well as Darcy and Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings did such a fantastic job."

Bradley also reveals that "this episode is chock full of cameos" because it was recorded later in the process of making season 1 after many of the MCU actors experienced earlier What If...? episodes and had fun with it. "A lot of the lines are improvised by the actors," she adds. "It should be Easter egg heaven. I hope people have fun with the one this week because it's not as bombastic world-ending as other episodes. The mandate for me when I was writing it was, I just want to have fun, I just want to be silly. It's a lot sillier than anything you'd see in the MCU. It should be an episode to watch with a beer."

That's the atmosphere that Hemsworth brought into the recording booth with him for this episode. "He ate it up," Andrews says. "We started finding the voice and Chris has got such natural comic instincts — they've started bringing that out in Ragnarok but we got to lean into that even more so in this. There's some stuff that got particularly goofy and he was laughing and the guys in the recording booth over there in Australia were laughing, and he was just like, 'I really like this Thor!' He gets to cut loose more than he ever has in the Marvel Universe."

Andrews laughs before adding, "I get a sense that maybe there's a little bit of actual Chris in 'Party Thor' which might be one reason why he gravitated towards it so easily and had so much fun with it."

Edited by tv echo

25 "What If...?" Details That Are Small, Incredible, And Make This Thor Episode So Great
by Nora Dominick   Sep 22, 2021
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/marvel-what-if-episode-7-details-easter-eggs 

25. And finally, if you heard me screaming this morning, it's because this episode ends with Ultron returning, but this time he's wielding all the Infinity Stones and HAS VISION'S FACE.
sub-buzz-1000-1632341691-4.jpg 

This means that the Avengers never stopped Ultron from creating a new Vibranium body that could wield the Mind Stone, as they did in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Also, this is the first time the Watcher seemed not to know exactly what was going to play out, which is...concerning.

1. First, we see Odin drift into Odinsleep, which is something that also happens in Thor. However, in Thor, when Odin went to sleep, Loki tried to take the throne.
2. When Thor, Sif, and the Warriors Three are walking through Odin's treasure room, you can spot Thanos's Infinity Gauntlet.
3. When the party on Midgard starts, Thor gives Skurge from Thor: Ragnarok a big "thunder hug."
4. And while handing Skurge a drink, he mentions that it'll never run out, which is a nod to the never-ending beer Thor gets while visiting Doctor Strange in Thor: Ragnarok.
5. Also, I'm really hoping the pineapple shirt here is a nod to Taika Waititi's pineapple shirt from Comic Con, which was also seen on Korg in Avengers: Endgame.
6. When Topaz and the Grandmaster are enjoying some cake, you can see that Topaz is wielding the melting stick from Thor: Ragnarok.
7. It happens kind of fast, but you can see Valkyrie hanging out with Drax and Sif during the party in Las Vegas.
8. When Elvis — who is made to look like Kurt Russell, and now I'm worried he's actually Ego — is marrying Darcy and Howard the Duck, the book he's reading out of says, "Love Me Tender," which is the title of an Elvis song.
9. When Jane is talking to Maria Hill, you can hear Thor talking about a rabbit in the sink, and earlier, Jane spotted Rocket sleeping there. This is just a great nod to Thor calling Rocket a rabbit in Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame.
10. When Coulson talks about Thor's party spreading, you can spot coordinates for their current location, which is Henderson, Nevada, aka a town right outside Las Vegas.
11. You can see Thor taking a selfie with two members of the Sovereign from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. If you recall, Ayesha, the Golden High Priestess, hired the Guardians to protect Anulax batteries from the Abilisk but later betrayed them.
12. I don't know where this is supposed to be, but my first thought was it reminded me of Coulson and May in Tahiti on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
13. Thor uses his hammer to pin Captain Marvel to the ground at the end of their fight, which is similar to what he did to Loki in Thor.
14. As Thor's party continues to get out of control, you can see Surtur from Thor: Ragnarok chatting with the Statue of Liberty.
15. And Surtur even mentions his crown, which Thor was seen fetching at the beginning of Thor: Ragnarok.
16. You can spot the Frost Giants using the Casket of Ancient Winters from Thor to create some ice sculptures — like Loki horns — on Mount Rushmore.
17. When Korg is dancing on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, you can spot Mantis in the corner.
18. Also, you can see a Skrull, Asgardian guards, and one of the Love Bots that live on Contraxia from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
19. And as the crown watches Thor "slide down that pointy thing," you can spot Miek from Thor: Ragnarok, as well as another shot of Valkyrie.
20. Maria jokes about Captain Marvel getting distracted by a cat, and that's exactly what happened to Fury in Captain Marvel when he and Carol were searching for Lawson's records.
21. While fighting Captain Marvel on the mountain, Thor tells her to smile, which is a nod to the scene in Captain Marvel when a biker tells Carol the same thing, and then she steals his motorcycle.
22. When Thor is telling everyone they need to break up the party and leave Earth, you can see Yondu standing next to Drax.
23. Also, you'll notice in this reality that Nebula looks like she does in the MCU movies, unlike in What If...? Episode 2, when she looked different because Thanos didn't experiment on her.
24. While cleaning up Earth before Frigga arrives, Thor straightens out the Leaning Tower of Pisa, which is something Christopher Reeve's Superman also did in Superman III.
25. And finally, if you heard me screaming this morning, it's because this episode ends with Ultron returning, but this time he's wielding all the Infinity Stones and HAS VISION'S FACE.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

The Making of What If comes out on Disney+ on Oct. 27...

What's Coming to Disney+ in October 2021 (US)
Roger Palmer   Sep 23, 2021
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/whats-coming-to-disney-in-october-2021-us/ 

Wednesday 27th October
Marvel Studios Assembled: The Making of What If…?
Behind the scenes of the animated series, “What If…?” which flips the script on the MCU, reimagining famous events from the films in unexpected ways. Marvel Studios’ first animated series focuses on different heroes from the MCU, featuring a voice cast that includes a host of stars who reprise their roles.

Also, in the below podcast, A.C. Bradley talked mostly about Season 2, so I posted my transcriptions of those comments in the Spoilers thread. However, I did want to post here Bradley's comments on getting the original MCU stars to voice their characters in the What If episodes...

Hero Nation Podcast: ‘What If?’ EP A.C. Bradley Teases Marvel Animated Series’ Season 2 + The Captain America & ‘West Wing’ Crossover That Never Happened
By Anthony D'Alessandro, Dominic Patten     September 24, 2021 
https://deadline.com/2021/09/what-if-marvel-series-a-c-bradley-podcast-interview-1234843778/ 

-- ACB: "Lou* handled the actual actor outreach, which was lovely... And then some of the actual actors helped us with the outreach... We started recording the actors before the show was even announced at D23. So some of them were like, I have no idea what I'm showing up for, but when Marvel calls, you answer. And early on, Sebastian Stan came in because he was in the pilot, one of the firsts, and he loved it and kind of spread the word. Jon Favreau really spread the word for us. He was probably our biggest fan. He read his episodes and his one caveat was, 'This is great. I'm in Season 2, though. You're bringing me back and you're bringing me back bigger.' (Laughs)... Chris Hemsworth was a situation where Brad Winderbaum, who's our producer, was also the producer on the Thor movies and, I think, just texted him... Like, 'Hey, I want you to do this. I promise you it'll be fun.' And he went, 'Sure.' Uh, Natalie Portman, my understanding was, she was game if - as long as Chris was doing it, too. ... Usually, the actors who came back came back with enthusiasm and seemed to have a lot of fun, and that helped us as the show was progressing to kind of gain a good reputation where, you're coming in, it's an hour or two in the booth, or if you're on location, we'll do it via satellite. Just have fun, be silly... It's animation, so there's no wrong takes. ... Cobie Smulders, who does Maria Hill, she's amazing. She came in in the middle of back-to-back shooting Stumptown episodes. And she knocked it out of the part and she was like, 'I've never done animation before... This is weird.' ... 'Basically, you're the Nick Fury of this episode.'"

(* Probably Louis D'Esposito)

Edited by tv echo

Finale | Marvel Studios’ What If…? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 6, 2021

“Thor Has Been Chosen” Official Clip | Marvel Studios’ What If…? | Disney+\
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 7, 2021

Laura Karpman - Guardians (From "What If...? (Episode 9)"/Audio Only)
MarvelMusicVEVO   Oct 8, 2021

Most of this interview is nonspoilery, Season 1 behind-the-scenes stuff, but - warning - they also talk a little about the missing Gamora episode and Season 2...

Marvel's What If...? team unpacks that finale ending and post-credits scene
By Sydney Bucksbaum October 06, 2021
https://ew.com/tv/marvel-what-if-season-1-finale-spoilers-post-credits-scene/ 

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I've become so conditioned by Marvel at this point that I had been watching all the way through the credits of every episode this season, and I was finally rewarded for that dedication in the finale. Did you always know you were saving a post-credits scene for the finale or were there discussions to have them in other episodes too?
AC BRADLEY:
That was the Captain Carter moment, right Bryan?

BRYAN ANDREWS: Yeah.

BRADLEY: [Laughs] When you write the script, you don't write credits into it. So I'm seeing all these things on Twitter about the end credit scene and I'm like, wait, what was something else shot? [Laughs] We discussed how to resolve or where to leave Captain Carter's story in the writers room pretty much when we were walking into breaking episodes 8 and 9. We discussed 8 and 9 as one giant story and we talked about where we would be joining all our heroes and where we wanted to leave them and their universes. And we love Captain Carter and we feel like her story, it keeps going. There's places for her to go, there's still things for her to do. As The Watcher says, "The world is not done with you yet."

ANDREWS: Early on there was talk, like do we have these things, the stuff that people always anticipate at the end? I think [executive producer] Brad [Winderbaum] at some point with [Marvel boss] Kevin [Feige] was like, "Let's not do that every single episode. Let's let them just be the episodes." But then we thought maybe later, and then when we realized that there was going to be a second season, that's when it's like, now here's the time when we can do one so it's kind of a tease as to possibly further adventures to come. So it was organic, it just came up naturally. And it worked.

What does that post-credits scene mean? Are we going to pick up with Captain Carter and whoever is in the HYDRA Stomper in the season 2 premiere?
ANDREWS:
[Laughs] We'll see?

BRADLEY: The Watcher has his favorites. I think we've seen that in the finale. And he has a soft spot for Peggy Carter, especially Captain Carter. So hopefully he'll be popping into her world in season 2.

ANDREWS: That's all we'll say.

BRADLEY: That's all we can legally say.

Can you tease whether or not that it actually is Skinny Steve in there and not someone else?
ANDREWS:
What if? [Laughs] What if? We'll have to see.

BRADLEY: The impetus for that final shot is Captain Carter still has adventures to come and we hope we get to explore them more, both in What If...? and the MCU. We kind of tee it up and this is our way of asking the powers that be at Marvel to let us keep playing with these toys.
Why did you decide on making Ultron the final big bad of the season?
BRADLEY:
Ultron is a huge character in the comics and while Age of Ultron was a lot of fun, he just got one movie where Thanos gets a whole series. So we wanted to give him his due and show the actual pure terror of this horrific A.I. that was created from a place of altruism and arrogance and see what he would actually do if unleashed. And because we now have the Infinity Stones and the multiverse to play with, it gets more and more horrific. And we got to show the human side of that tragedy and focus using both Clint and Natasha and their relationship. I love those two characters so getting to see them up close and personal, and how they interact with each other was a blast to write and work with.

ANDREWS: It was awesome. Way, way early on, even before we started breaking story and figuring out what was even going to be in the first season, the notion of having something where possibly Ultron won in some capacity was always kicking around. One of the images I always had was, whether it was Clint or Natasha, it was at least Clint, for me that was one of the immediate people I thought of in the post-apocalypse, dealing with the fact that he lost his family and everyone else, there was something about that, it just hit. And then it just all kept feeding into itself and making all sorts of sense and coming together, and what it says, people grabbed onto it, the fact that it's Nat and Clint that are saving the multiverse in a way. When all is said and done, it's the people that are human, they're just gritty and hard core and they get the job done. I think there's something really awesome about that, because they could be us. We're not Thor, we're not going to have godly powers and stuff like that, but it gives hope that humanity can make do and succeed. I think that's a really neat message to have tucked away in there with all the bells and whistles.
And why did you have Ross Marquand step in to voice a new version of Ultron over bringing back James Spader or even Paul Bettany — especially since Paul was already involved in What If…?
BRADLEY:
First of all, I love Ross Marquand. He's the nicest guy. Last summer he was at my house drinking wine and my cat got out and me, him, and a few friends literally wandered the streets looking for my cat, so Ross Marquand always gets a thumbs up from me. We wanted Ultron to be as terrifying as possible, because he's terrifying, and Paul Bettany is the loveliest man on earth. He is such a sweetheart. We felt that, if Paul Bettany using Vision's voice voiced Ultron, it would be too much of a disconnect, because we're asking the audience to believe that this is Ultron in Vision's body and not Vision. So by having Ross step in and give an incredibly chilling performance helped us make that clear to the audience, especially people who aren't as familiar with Age of Ultron, Vision, and that whole canon as we are.

ANDREWS: It just seemed to make sense. Because in Age of Ultron, they get some version of Jarvis A.I. into Vision so it makes sense that it's that A.I. with that voice that comes out of that body. But the body can be whatever voice it wants because it's this amazing thing of tech. So if a pure Ultron A.I. gets in there, there's no reason why it would sound like Jarvis. It's Ultron injecting himself into this shell, so it's his personality. He could probably choose to sound any way he wants. What's interesting is it makes for a brand new type of disconnect where people are seeing Vision's face and they want to hear that voice that they love so much, but they get this evil voice coming out. It's an extra layer of unsettledness and tension.

Did you try to get James Spader to voice the character?
ANDREWS:
I was under the impression that we tried to reach out to everybody. And just some people maybe could or couldn't for whatever reason.

BRADLEY: The casting of the Marvel actors really was a pay grade above us. [Executive producer] Lou [D'Esposito] kind of spearheaded the whole operation. And my understanding is they reached out to everyone and those who could come back came back and we were so happy to have them.

The finale was the first time we saw Gamora on What If…? whereas we met all the other Guardians of the Multiverse in previous episodes. Was Gamora involved in the episode that was pushed to season 2, or was this truly the first time we were supposed to meet her?
BRADLEY:
Yeah, due to the pandemic one of our core production houses was hit very hard, and could not finish animation on one of our episodes that was supposed to air earlier in the season. That episode featured Tony and Gamora. It was a lighter episode! We didn't murder Tony horrifically in this one, I promise! Big spoiler. [Laughs] But I'm getting hate mail.

ANDREWS: It's a great episode; it's funny. It was supposed to be the fourth episode so Strange would have been fifth and everything else would move back in that order it was. But it's an exciting Tony adventure with Gamora and then we would go into Doctor Strange and get a little bit darker. But it's coming — I was seeing some shots on it just the other day so it's coming. It will be there for our second season.

Now that The Watcher has broken his oath and interfered to some success, what does that mean for the future? Will we see him step into stories more in season 2? Will there be ramifications for that decision?
ANDREWS:
We'll have to wait and see.

BRADLEY: I love The Watcher because he's always a dramatic b---. [Laughs] "I will not interfere. I can't! I can't possibly. I can't... Okay, let me do this." So hopefully we'll see him interact more in the second season, but he also knows that interfering and meddling in time can have consequences.

You previously said all the season 2 episode scripts are written. How far into production are you on season 2?
ANDREWS:
They're all in different stages of production. They've all been written, they've all been boarded, they've all been recorded, basically, except for maybe like little pickups we may need here and there but for the most part they're all in various stages of production. There's an episode that's very close, its animation is way further on and the final picture is getting close to being in process, and then everything in between.

BRADLEY: We have to give a special shoutout to our animation houses and partners around the world that bring this show to life. This is an incredibly detailed art style, with amazing cinematography, and it's not an easy show to animate. This show takes anywhere from 12 to 16 months for one episode of animation, so they get a huge amount of credit for really bringing their A-team.

The run times on all the What If…? episodes were significantly shorter than the other Marvel Disney+ shows. Was that intentional?
BRADLEY:
It was a mixture. We designed the episodes to be between 25 and 30 minutes. There was some cuts taken during the pandemic because the cost of animation skyrocketed as well as the cost of toilet paper. But I think it actually made the show tighter and swifter. Special shout out has to go to our amazing editors Joel and Graham Fisher. They're so nimble and so quick to switch between genres and have an understanding of various genre storytelling which you don't always find. They went into the episodes and found places to save us a few bucks here or there without sacrificing thrills or story or character. So we owe them a thank you.

ANDREWS: They really do great work. They're knee-deep in it right now; they're working on some stuff right now. I've got to meet with those guys later actually.

Edited by tv echo

Disney Plus takes us behind the making of Marvel’s What If...?
By Saloni Gajjar    October 27, 2021
https://www.avclub.com/disney-plus-takes-us-behind-the-making-of-marvel-s-what-1847931794 

Here’s what’s happening in the world of television for Wednesday, October 27. All times are Eastern.
Marvel Studios: Assembled: The Making Of What If...? (Disney+, 3:01 a.m.): Just when we thought we were gearing up for Disney+’s next Marvel project (hello, Hawkeye), Marvel Studios: Assembled pulls us back into the animated world of What If...? The new episode goes behind-the-scenes of the making of the first season, which featured voice performances by almost all of the major Marvel Cinematic Universe actors, including Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Hayley Atwell, Samuel L. Jackson, Paul Rudd, and Evangeline Lilly.

Edited by tv echo
10 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I mean, “what if every franchise was better without Chris Pratt,” I can get behind. “The Cat as the Pratt” was one of my favorite eps.   

And Coulson being a 5 on the Kinsey scale is not that far off canon.

No surprise - Season 2 of What If...? is a go...

Marvel Zombies, MCU Spider-Man Animated Series Ordered at Disney+, What If... ? Officially Renewed
By Matt Webb Mitovich / November 12 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/11/12/what-if-renewed-season-2-disney-plus-marvel-zombies-series/ 

In the same breath that it double-secret formally announced Season 2 of What If…?, Disney+ on Friday also unveiled its plans for two more animated Marvel series.

First up (and clearly taking a cue from the fifth episode of What If…?), Marvel Zombies is an animated series from Marvel Studios that “re-imagines the Marvel Universe as a new generation of heroes battle against an ever-spreading zombie scourge.” Bryan Andrews (What If…?, Men in Black: The Series) will direct.

Also in the pipeline is Spider-Man: Freshman Year, an animated series that follows Peter Parker on his way to becoming Spider-Man in the MCU, “with a journey unlike we’ve ever seen and a style that celebrates the character’s early comic book roots.” Jeff Trammel (Craig of the Creek) will serve as head writer.

And yes, What If…?, as we all knew, will be back for Season 2. After enlisting the Guardians of the Multiverse to battle Infinity Ultron in Season 1, The Watcher (voiced by Geoffrey Wright) will return to “meet new heroes and explore more strange new worlds in the MCU’s ever-expanding Multiverse.” AC Bradley will again serve as head writer.

FEAeK7SUYAAMD4K?format=jpg

Also Marvel Zombies:

FEAfjEIVcAgLYu-?format=jpg

Edited by tv echo

What If...? got 1 nomination for the 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards, which will be broadcast live on The CW and TBS on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022...

Critics' Choice Awards: Succession, Evil, Mare of Easttown Lead TV Nominees; Hacks and Ghosts Among First-Timers
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 6 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/06/critics-choice-awards-nominations-2022-succession-evil-mare-of-easttown/ 

ANIMATED SERIES
Big Mouth (Netflix)
Bluey (Disney+)
Bob’s Burgers (Fox)
The Great North (Fox)
Q-Force (Netflix)
What If…? (Disney+)

Edited by tv echo

A listing on the Marvel Studios Japan website suggests that What If...? Season Two could be released sometime in 2022 on Disney+...

Official Marvel Site May Confirm Four Disney+ Shows in Summer 2022
By ADAM BARNHARDT - January 15, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-site-confirms-four-shows-release-schedule-summer-2022/ 

This summer might get pretty busy for fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. A new listing discovered on the official website for Marvel Studios Japan suggests at least three shows could release between Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on May 4th (when it opens in Japan), and Thor: Love and Thunder, which currently has a July release date. She-Hulk, I Am Groot, and What If...? Season Two are all listed between the aforementioned blockbusters.
If the listing proves accurate, this would be the first official confirmation What If...? season Two is coming this year. Executives had only previously suggested they wanted to release seasons annually, though uncertainty and extended production times in animation could complicate things.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-15-at-4.36.30-PM.png 

Marvel's What If Season 2 Receives Promising Release Update
By Russ Milheim   March 12, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-what-if-season-2-release-date-update 

Disney released a new production brief for its upcoming Oscar Isaac-led Disney+ series Moon Knight. Within it held a tidbit that offered new information on the future of Marvel Studios' first animated show, What If...?.
"The Marvel Cinematic Universe is currently the highest-grossing film franchise of all time. Feige is building on that success with a host of new series that streamed on Disney+ in 2021, including “WandaVision,” “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier,” “Loki,” “What If…?” and “Hawkeye.” Upcoming original series for 2022 include “Moon Knight,” Ms. Marvel,” “She-Hulk” and the second season of “What If…?."

Edited by tv echo

Mick Wingert voiced Tony Stark/Iron Man in this What If...? series...

MICK WINGERT on Marvel Audition Codenames & Idols – Interview
Fandom Spotlite    May 1, 2022

(edited)

Marvel submitted What If...? for consideration in 15 Emmy categories...

Marvel Submits What If's Best Episode for Emmys Consideration
By Russ Milheim   June 5, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-what-if-best-episode 

Marvel Studios revealed it will be submitting the big Doctor Strange episode for Emmy consideration as the show’s strongest installment. In that reality, Stephen Strange loses Christine Palmer instead of his hands like in the MCU movie. Despite trying as hard as he can to reverse it, he can’t—in fact, he dooms his entire reality.
All of the categories in which Marvel Studios submitted What If…? for consideration can be found below:

Outstanding Animated Program
Brad Winderbaum, Executive Producer
Kevin Feige, Executive Producer
Victoria Alongso, Executive Producer
Louis D'Esposito, Executive Producer
Bryan Andrews, Director and Executive Producer
A.C. Bradley, Executive Producer and Head Writer
Carrie Wassenaar, Producer
Character Voice-Over Performance
Chadwick Boseman (Star Lord T'Challa)
Jeffrey Wright (The Watcher)
Hayley Atwell (Peggy Carter)

Edited by tv echo

What If...?, Marvel Zombies and X-Men '97 previews will be a part of a panel for the 2022 San Diego Comic-Con about Marvel Studios animated releases on Friday, July 22, 11:45 AM - 1:15 PM  in Ballroom 20. The panel will have Marvel Studios head of streaming, television and animation Brad Winderbaum; head of visual development Ryan Meinerding and some surprise guests. 

Marvel Studios' X-Men '97, What If...? Season 2, Spider-Man: Freshman Year and More
Marvel Entertainment    Jul 22, 2022

Inside Marvel Studios Animation Announcements at SDCC 2022
Marvel Entertainment    Jul 22, 2022

‘What If…?’ Director Bryan Andrews On Creating The Evil Doctor Strange And How The Next Seasons Will Be “A Little Bit Wilder”
By Ryan Fleming    August 17, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/08/bryan-andrews-what-if-director-disney-marvel-animation-1235094390/ 

DEADLINE: Why was the Doctor Strange episode chosen for Emmy consideration?
ANDREWS:
It’s a very strong episode, but we also felt that it just kind of ended darker. We knew even before we had a full story that we wanted to do something dark with Doctor Strange. We wanted to do something where he messes up and fails at the end. AC was able to find an in that really worked based on some personal experiences that she went through dealing with loss – to have him be unable to deal with that loss mixed in with Doctor Strange’s built in hubris.

There’s a lot of other episodes that were really great, but this one overall had such an emotional core. It just made the whole thing really strong and cohesive, but I think the strongest thing is the ending. He blew it and it marks a pivotal point in the whole season where The Watcher actually is looking at the guy and the guy could actually see The Watcher and they have a slight dialogue. That’s the first tease that a connection like that could be made.

Another reason is that Benedict Cumberbatch did an amazing job playing evil Doctor Strange, and that was long before Multiverse of Madness was really getting started. They had kernels of ideas, so Kevin had them watch our stuff and was like, “You guys better watch out, cause this shit’s good.” And they came out of that meeting just going like, “Oh my God, what are we gonna do for a movie?” [Laughs] I think they borrowed a lot from what we were trying to do in that episode, which is crazy.

DEADLINE: What’s next for the What If…? series?
ANDREWS:
Obviously more unique stories that slowly get a little bit wilder. The first season Kevin wanted to keep it a little bit closer to the vest, have a little thing that was different and that little thing made these things different, but still tied very much to either a moment in the movies or a particular film itself. Now there’s more films and things to pull from, so we don’t have to have just a tiny moment. We can expand out and things can get a little bit wackier. We take it up a notch in season two and then in season three we just go even wackier. In season two, we have different characters that we haven’t really got a chance to play with before and we see how they’ll integrate with some of the favorites that come back. There’s lots of really cool stuff and I can’t wait for people to see it.

The Creative Arts Emmy Awards are being held tonight.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Creative Arts Emmys: All the Winners So Far

Chadwick Boseman received a posthumous Emmy for his voice performance as T’Challa in Disney+ series 

What If…? Boseman’s wife, Taylor Simone Ledward, accepted, saying, “What a beautifully aligned moment it really is that one of the last things he would work on would not only be revisiting a character that was so important to him and his career and to the world, but also that it be an exploration of something new, diving into a new potential future.”

Every Marvel Cinematic Universe TV show, ranked
By Samantha Nelson, Tasha Robinson, and Zosha Millman  Updated Nov 25, 2022
https://www.polygon.com/tv/22561233/mcu-tv-shows-ranked-marvel-cinematic-universe

4. WHAT IF…? (2021)
Still a lock for Most Underrated MCU Show, the What If…? series may have been a victim of MCU fatigue, of prejudice against animation, or of fans’ feeling that a series of speculative multiverse stories don’t really matter to the overall MCU continuity. One way or another, fans of the franchise don’t seem to have engaged with the show nearly as much as they did with some of the series on this list. They’re missing out. The nine-episode opening season starts out straightforward, in a universe where Peggy Carter got the super-soldier treatment instead of Steve Rogers, but events otherwise mostly played out in a familiar pattern. But once the AU training wheels are off, subsequent episodes escalate the stakes and the distance from familiar canon, either heading in much darker and more brutal directions than the mainstream movies ever could, or having much more fun with the characters, as Black Panther’s T’Challa heads to space (and proves the universe is better off without Peter Quill) or Thor throws a worldwide party.

But what really locks What If…?’s place on this list is the final two episodes of the season, which integrate all those previous episodes in surprising ways, paying off some plot lines that didn’t seem like they were designed to be resolved. The show gets big and cosmic in exciting ways, but it’s also meticulous about the details, from in-jokes like multiple Howard the Duck cameos to the way all the seemingly stand-alone stories line up in the end. The individual episodes are uneven, but this season is more about the integrated package and where it all leads in the end. —TR

Edited by tv echo

Marvel Shuffles TV Calendar with New Dates for ‘Agatha,’ ‘Echo,’ X-Men ’97’ (Exclusive)
BY BORYS KIT   SEPTEMBER 1, 2023 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marvel-tv-show-release-dates-1235580093/ 

The second season of Emmy-winning animated series What If…? will debut around Christmas Day, although it should be noted the animated show is not a holiday-themed series. Like the namesake comic on which its premise is based, What If…? is an anthology series that looks at key moments in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and how they would look in different timelines. Jeffrey Wright returns as the voice of the Watcher, the alien narrator. What If…? was originally slated for an early 2023 release.  

Marvel’s “What If…?” Season 2   December 22, 2023     Disney+     9 episodes 

AGS2-Digital-KA-Creative80-v3-Lg.jpg

New episodes released daily.

This may not be the correct order released:

• What If... Nebula Joined the Nova Corps? (December 22)
• What If... Peter Quill Attacked Earth's Mightiest Heroes? (December 23)
• What If... Happy Hogan Saved Christmas? (December 24)
• What If... Iron Man Crashed into the Grandmaster? (December 25)
• What If... Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper? (December 26)
• What If... The Avengers Assembled in 1602? (December 27)
• What If... Hela found the Ten Rings? (December 28) 
• What If... Kahhori Reshaped the World? (December 29)
• What If... Strange Supreme Intervened? (December 30)

Another list of titles for Season 2 is:

• What if Gamora killed Thanos?

• What if Captain Carter finds Hydra Stomper? (Continued from Season 1)

• What if the Tesseract landed in Haudenosaunee Confederacy before the colonization of America? (Introduction of new hero Kahhori)

• What if Hank Pym & Janet Van Dyne fought the Red Guardian during 1980’s?

• What if Yondu delivered Star-Lord to Ego?

• What if Happy Hogan saved Christmas? (Iron Man 3)

• What if Wanda had grown up watching musicals instead of sitcoms?

• What if Odin & Hela had faced Wenwu?

• What if Avengers had fought Surtur?

What If... Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper? 
Peggy Carter / Captain Carter believes that the love of her life, Steve Rogers, is long-dead until he is discovered alive as the villainous Hydra Stomper.

Season 2 is supposed to include the Gamora episode, "What If…? Gamora Killed Thanos" that didn't make it into Season 1 .

It is still early, so information is vague and rumoury.

Critics screened the first two episodes of Season 2...

WHAT IF...? Season 2 Hailed As "Awe-Inspiring" And An "Absolute Blast" In First Critic Reactions
By Josh Wilding    Dec 12, 2023
https://comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/what-if/what-if-season-2-hailed-as-awe-inspiring-and-an-absolute-blast-in-first-critic-reactions-a208290#gs.23m20j 

Marvel's What If Season 2 Reviews: Critics Share Strong First Reactions
By Richard Nebens  December 12, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-what-if-season-2-reviews-critics 

What If season 2 reactions say the Marvel show is a lot of fun – with a great holiday episode
By Molly Edwards   Dec 12, 2023
https://www.gamesradar.com/what-if-season-2-marvel-reactions-mcu/ 

What If…? Season 2    Teaser, Title Descriptions and Cast List

EPISODE 1: WHAT IF… NEBULA JOINED THE NOVA CORPS? When Nebula is recruited to join the Nova Corps, she sets out to prove her detective skills within this intergalactic police force.

EPISODE 2: WHAT IF… PETER QUILL ATTACKED EARTH’S MIGHTIEST HEROES? When Ego and a young Peter Quill threaten Earth in 1988, Howard Stark and Peggy Carter form a team.

EPISODE 3: WHAT IF HAPPY HOGAN SAVED CHRISTMAS? Avengers Tower is under attack during the holiday party and it’s up to Happy Hogan to stop it.

EPISODE 4: WHAT IF… IRON MAN CRASHED INTO THE GRANDMASTER? Tony Stark challenges The Grandmaster, leading to a grand prix-turned-demolition-derby death match.

EPISODE 5: WHAT IF… CAPTAIN CARTER FOUGHT THE HYDRA STOMPER? Captain Carter’s mission to save Steve Rogers sets her on a collision course with new enemies.

EPISODE 6: WHAT IF… KAHHORI RESHAPED THE WORLD? A Mohawk woman ventures into the waters of the Forbidden Lake to help save her people.

EPISODE 7: WHAT IF… HELA FOUND THE TEN RINGS? Hela—stripped of her powers and banished to Earth—comes across a new source of power: the Ten Rings.

EPISODE 8: WHAT IF… THE AVENGERS ASSEMBLED IN 1602? Captain Carter tries to undo the anomaly that strands familiar heroes and villains in the year 1602.

EPISODE 9: WHAT IF… STRANGE SUPREME INTERVENED? Captain Carter discovers the greatest threat to all existence may be closer than she realizes.

– Jeffrey Wright as Uatu / The Watcher
– Karen Gillan as Nebula
– Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta  
– Taika Waititi as Korg / Korg
– Seth Green as Howard the Duck
– Michael Douglas as Hank Pym / Ant-Man
– Atandwa Kani as T’Chaka / Black Panther
– Annette Bening as Mar-Vell / Starforce
– Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes / Winter Soldier 
– Laurence Fishburne as Bill Foster / Goliath
– Brian T. Delaney as Peter Quill
– Kurt Russell as Ego
– Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter / Captain Carter 
– Chris Hemsworth as Thor  
– Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan
– Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis
– Mick Wingert as Tony Stark / Iron Man 
– Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer
– Josh Keaton as Steve Rogers / Captain America / HYDRA Stomper 
– Lake Bell as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow  
– Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye / Clint Barton/Hawkeye
– Cynthia McWilliams as Gamora
– Jeff Goldblum as En Dwi Gast/Grandmaster
– Rachel Weisz as Melina Vostokoff
– Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch  
– Cate Blanchett as Hela
– Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man
– Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / Hulk  
– Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
– Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange / Doctor Strange
– Josh Brolin as Thanos
– Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne

Deck the Halls | Marvel Studios' What If... ? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 21, 2023

"How's Business?" Official Clip | Marvel Studios' What if... ? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 22, 2023

"I Got A Plan" Official Clip | Marvel Studios' What if... ? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 23, 2023

"Not Anymore" Official Clip | Marvel Studios' What if... ? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Dec 24, 2023

"My Champion" Official Clip | Marvel Studios' What if... ? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Dec 25, 2023

"Watch This" Official Clip | Marvel Studios' What if... ? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Dec 26, 2023

Edited by tv echo

"I'm Not Most People" Official Clip | Marvel Studios' What if... ? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 28, 2023

"I Can Hear You" Official Clip | Marvel Studios' What if... ? | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 29, 2023

‘What If…?’ Is the Only Project Delivering on Marvel’s Multiverse Promise
BY PROMA KHOSLA    DECEMBER 29, 2023
https://www.indiewire.com/features/commentary/what-if-season-2-marvel-multiverse-promise-1234938922/ 

Uninhibited by the logistics and budgeting of live-action, “What If…?,” which returned for a second season starting December 22, is an irresistible taste of what the multiverse could and should be — and a reminder of how gravely the MCU’s live-action version falls short. It takes years of planning and foresight to execute something so grand in scale, but Marvel’s official timeline puts us halfway through the alleged Multiverse Saga, with most films still teasing a future that doesn’t feel any closer than it was at the start.

Who Is Doctor Who’s Mrs. Flood? Did Fargo Reveal Surprise You? What the Evil Is Going On?! Reacher Meets Aquaman? And More TV Qs!
BY VLADA GELMAN, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, DAVE NEMETZ, KEISHA HATCHETT, KIMBERLY ROOTS, NICK CARUSO   DECEMBER 29, 2023 
https://tvline.com/features/doctor-who-mrs-flood-theories-the-master-river-song-ruby-sunday-1235104097/ 

1 | Has What If…? Season 2 pleasantly surprised you, raising questions with its episode titles that almost no Marvel fan has ever, ever had, but then delivering engaging answers/stories? Did it dawn on anyone else that Episode 2 (below) offered an American President reunion of sorts? Did Episode 3’s “Hulk Hogan” joke sneak up on you? And once again we ask, why are some of the animated characters uncanny (e.g. Maria Hill/Cobie Smulders, Black Widow/ScarJo) while they still can’t seem to make Peggy Carter look like Hayley Atwell?

Edited by tv echo