Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Too Good to Be True

Really?  It will be difficult to keep a pregnancy quiet as a police detective?  What do you think the tip-off will be?  The morning sickness, the increased sensitivity to smells, the big round belly, the waddling or the maternity clothes?

Judging by the promo, Jane will find it difficult to keep her pregnancy a secret because she will be subjected to every cliched danger a pregnant television character can face. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think it's cliche. The danger is there and can happen. 

Also close friends and family can notice a change and that's before you start showing. Jane drinks coffee like water, Korsak will notice and I think he did notice in the last episode. Morning sickness is the biggest one. It can come on at any time of the day w. the most normal of environments. Being a detective would enhance that, especially a homicide detective. 

Edited by Samantha84
(edited)

When they were filming and Sasha posted a picture of him and Colin, I was not thrilled at all that we will see Tommy again. 

Seriously, we won't even see Hope or Cailin but we see Tommy? I am very upset about this.

The whole story line with Frank, Lydia and Tommy was so disgusting to me. And yet, they wanted Tommy to still end up with Lydia who slept with their father? It was so trashy it made almost not want to watch the show. It was only Maura and Hope that I stuck around.

But with the baby drama and the looming Casey drama it's making me not want watch at all. And that it seem Maura will take a back seat this season, I really don't know if i can stand to watch this show this season. 

Edited by IndependentMind

I feel the same way. I think Maura has become a guest star on the Rizzoli show. I was hoping Maura would get sometime with her family this season, but I guess not. I would even settle for Maura having a conversation  with someone outside of Jane and her family.

(edited)

That is what I am feeling too that this show this season will be "Rizzoli & maybe some Isles.". I adore Lorraine Bracco but Angela can be so overbearing and annoying.

Why bring Tommy back? He is so annoying and I bet we won't even hear a single thing about Hope or Cailin. It will be as if they are no longer relevant. No wonder this is Angie's favorite season because it seems it is all about Jane

Not everyone loved the Hope/Maura storyline and I'm one of them. I also didn't like the Tommy/Lydia/Frank storyline either so there ya go.

They are about to start filming episode 12 and Casey isn't back yet. I don't see him coming back either.  

Also? Maura isn't taking a backseat this season, PS: We're 2 episodes into [an 18 episode] the season! 

• Love 2
(edited)

18 episode? You must be mistaken, they are renewed for 15 episodes.

Why not have Hope if they are going to bring Tommy? There should be some fairness here.

Well the only thing I hear about Maura is that she is going to get a man. And the rest has been about Jane and her pregnancy.

http://www.ismyshowcancelled.com/article/2013-08-15/rizzoli-isles-renewed-for-season-5/

Also R & I has never done 18 episodes. The most they did was 16 episodes which was last season. The only TNT show that did more than 16 was "Major Crimes" which had 20 episodes, I believe.

http://tvline.com/2013/08/15/rizzoli-and-isles-renewed-season-5-tnt/

(edited)
18 episode? You must be mistaken, they are renewed for 15 episodes.

Nope, someone asked Jan Nash how many episode would fans get this season and she said 18

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 1

I have not seen or read any announcement from TNT. They usually announce it extra episodes have been added like they did with "Major Crimes".

I wonder how Angie and Sasha feels about 18 episodes. The reason why they like the limited episodes is so they have time to be with their family. They are usually done by first week of August. This would take them through end of August. By then kids are back in school.

Not everyone loved the Hope/Maura storyline and I'm one of them. I also didn't like the Tommy/Lydia/Frank storyline either so there ya go.

They are about to start filming episode 12 and Casey isn't back yet. I don't see him coming back either.  

Also? Maura isn't taking a backseat this season, PS: We're 2 episodes into [an 18 episode] the season! 

It isn't even about this season. Last season Maura only had conversations with Jane and her family. The closest she had to her own story was when she was in jail. Even the one close moment Hope and Maura got to share had Jane in the middle of it. Angela and Jane have plenty of bonding moments. I would like to see a character that has some relationship to Maura that is outside of the Rizzoli's. I don't dislike Jane, but she is clearly the focus. I would love to see Maura with 1 friend that doesn't have any tie to Jane.

• Love 1

Yes I do too. That is why I would love to see Constance back.

I would love to see someone from Maura's past who comes to her for help.

I wish the moments with Hope was just with Maura and Hope. They go to dinner and talk.

Another thing is, I hope they never bring Tommy back. He is cute but that character is just awful.

(edited)

This season is a hopeless mess so far.  I am sure that part of it was the cast's reaction to Lee's death, and that fact that the first two episodes dealt with Frost's death, but  its just tough to watch.  Seriously, Jane Rizzoli, who is super-close to her family and fought for Tommy to have rights to his son, is going to deny Casey the same? Casey, a man she 'loves'.  And, sorry, but that 'love' is totally unbelievable.  Maura, who has no life of her own, is following Jane around like a guard and discussing stroller assembly?. Where's Janes' boss, the love of Jane's Mom? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

She never said that Casey wouldn't or couldn't be apart of the baby's life. Only that they would figure it out. Also that she's raising the baby by herself. Which doesn't mean Casey can't be apart of his child's life but that they wouldn't be together raising him or her. 

Personally, I enjoyed tonight's episode. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Exactly my sentiments "mythoughts". Maura has now become a second fiddle to Jane and it is all about Jane and her baby drama.

And really, was Tommy necessary to be in this episode? What a waste of screentime. Its the Rizzoli family show. And no sign of Maura's family at all. And not even a mention of it. So all of a sudden Hope and Cailin have disappeared.

And Angela is just getting more and more annoying.

I think they should rename the show "The Rizzolis"

Did Jan Nash think that we won't notice Cavanaugh is gone? What a joke! I thought as a veteran on television she would know better.

(edited)

Not ever fan/viewer enjoys or loves Maura and have family .. I'm one of them.

So Maura and Jane shouldn't talk about the baby? Their best friends and this is a life changing moment for one of them; they wouldn't or shouldn't ignore it. 

I'm no fan of Tommy character but the point of him in this episode was so all the Rizzolis could find out about Jane's pregnancy.

[ETA: I get that Angela is excited but she can be so intrusive and overbearing]

Jan Nash is bringing back the dynamic of Jane/Maura's friendship. Jane not making Maura the butt of jokes and them being the great friends we knew them to be. 

Edited by Samantha84

I also enjoyed this episode, not a big fan of Tommy, and Jane's mom has always got on my last nerve. Like someone said we are only 3 episodes in, lots of episodes left and it would take a heck of a lot for me to punt this show. I am still up in the air on the pregnancy because part of me thinks that Jane will have a miscarriage just not certain how she is going to not end up riding a desk if she goes full term. I have read interviews with both Angie and Sasha where both actresses said this is their favorite season so far. I figure if they feel that way then I'm good to go.

(edited)

I still can't decide when I'm going to cut bait, but I watched tonight's episode largely as background noise and was my usual level of "yeah, this show stinks, but Jane and Maura rule" okay with it.

Kudos to Bruce McGill for his performance when Jane reveals her pregnancy to Korsak; perfectly delivered.

I don't care that Frankie and Tommy are family, Jane's mom is way out of line in delivering the news instead of Jane.  I'd rather kill myself than continue a pregnancy to term, yet even I know that basic bit of first trimester etiquette.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Yes. There is no sense of privacy or respect on Angela and Tommy.

It used to be funny and cute. But it has gotten tiresome and old.

Maura and Korzak were the best thing about tonight's episode.

It doesn't matter that Hope or Cailin are not being seen but at least they should be mentioned.

And the most ridiculous thing to me is Cavanaugh. Where the heck is he? Isnt he thei boss?

I would rather see an annoying Cailin any day than see Tommy and his disgusting relationship with a woman who slept with his dad and who cheated on his mother with.

Forget Hope and Caitlin, I want to see Constance Isles again. It's like they forgot Constance ever existed. Also, while we are at it where is Bass, Maura's tortoise?

Other than the Gayzzoli moments the best parts of the episode were Maura and Korsak, Suzy and Korsak, and Jane and Korsak.

• Love 1

OMG! Yes where the heck is Bass. I think Jan Nash forgot about him too just like she forgot about Cavanaugh. She is so concentrated on Jane, Jane's family and her pregnancy. It seems like the first half of the season will be all about it.

Yes, they should recast Constance if they can't get Jaqueline Bisset. I would love to see her again

"She never said that Casey wouldn't or couldn't be apart of the baby's life. Only that they would figure it out."

She said that LATER, after talking with Casey.  Earlier she distinctly said she was raising the baby alone

BTW, her writhing around on the ground was a red herring in last week's preview -- clearly we were supposed to think she could lose the baby.

Kinda reminds me of Maria on AMC, who was characterized on rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc as "Mybabymybabymybaby."

As for Tommy, to me he'll always be Erica Kane's resurrected fetus on All My Children.  I didn't like him then, and I don't like him now.

I rather suspect that some characters just disappear because they didn't get a good reception, either by the showrunners or by the audience.

When they were filming and Sasha posted a picture of him and Colin, I was not thrilled at all that we will see Tommy again. 

Seriously, we won't even see Hope or Cailin but we see Tommy? I am very upset about this.

The whole story line with Frank, Lydia and Tommy was so disgusting to me. And yet, they wanted Tommy to still end up with Lydia who slept with their father? It was so trashy it made almost not want to watch the show. It was only Maura and Hope that I stuck around.

But with the baby drama and the looming Casey drama it's making me not want watch at all. And that it seem Maura will take a back seat this season, I really don't know if i can stand to watch this show this season. 

I'm with you. I can't stand the direction is going in, and I'm really tired of Jane's family. Talk about people with no freaking boundaries. Good grief. I've watched since it started, so I'm not quite ready to quit, but I'm getting closer every week. And it's turned in to the last thing I watch on Tuesday.

• Love 1

Maura is involved more in some scenes than she should be and only b/c it's called Rizzoli & Isles. I.E: The scene at the end .. Jane saying thats he can't raise these baby alone and she needs her help. That's something a single woman would say to their mother! Ones that are close like Angela and Jane. Yes, Angela gets on Jane's nerves but they are close.

I see it differently. Jane saying she's raise the baby alone doesn't mean she's cutting Casey out. Just that Casey is in the service and he'll be there when he can as much as he can. Also raising the baby alone also means they're not going to be together. 

My co-worker was engaged and her and her fiance decided to split up. She became pregnant a few months after. She's raising her child alone ...I:E: ex-fiance/baby father aren't together but they are co-parenting. He sees his child every weekend and 6 weeks in the some and they alternate holidays. 

Bass and Joe Friday's absence was explained back wen Janet was showrunner ... those animals are expensive for a scene or 2. So rather than dig into their budget, for a scene that's really not that important, they don't. Bass is a tortoise, it's not doing anything, and I don't need to see it. A mention of Joe Friday would be nice. 

I get that fans want to see certain people and animals but actors that are not locked in to contracts can book other jobs. And we also aren't privy to budgets, which plays a huge part in casting, guest stars, locations, wardrobes, etc. 

Jane asked Maura for help with the baby because she trust her to not only be there for her but she also knows Maura respects her. Maura understands boundaries and Angela doesn't. And as much as Jane loves her Mom, Angela isnt the first person she would talk to about personal stuff. Why do you think she told Maura first about her pregnancy? Why not Angela. Why didn't she tell Angela about the break up with Casey first? Why didnt she tell Angela about Casey's proposal first? Because Maura is her best friend and also to her she us family. She would tell Maura first and trust Maura first and foremost more than Angela. That is why she told Maura she needs her help with the baby because she knows Maura will not nag her about Casey and probably would not stop nagging her about him even after the baby is born.

Angela and Jane may be close but that doesn't mean she will tell her everything. In my opinion, a best friend knows more about you than your mother because they don't judge. And Jane doesn't mind being vulnerable in front of Maura.

• Love 1

Note:  Casey died on the way back to his home planet.

When they sent around surveys at the end of the winter season, one of my comments was that I was really tired of seeing so much of the Rizzolis.  I guess I was the only one.

That said, I thought the scenes with Maura and Korsak were terrific, as was Korsak's scene with Suzy, and if that had been the whole of the episode, I would have thought it was splendid.

I've often wondered, that thing that they use to log the sound of gunshots anywhere in Boston...is that a thing that exists?

• Love 1

When Jane asks Tommy to keep her pregnancy quiet .. I found myself asking, "who else is there left to tell?!" Unless she meant not telling their father but why wouldn't she just say him specifically? Or does Tommy still communicate w. people from their neighborhood that still talk to Casey or his family?

Funny when Maura was filling out Jane's patient form and she asked, "chlamydia?", and Jane's response, "Really?"  Excuse you Jane how would Maura know whether you did or not? Unless they've had that conversation before [being BFFs, wouldn't be surprising] but why would she ask then?

Someone wanna tell me what happened w. the case? I've watched 3x and I still can't get heads or tails. Why was the guy killed, who was the killer, and why did he do it? lol. 

(edited)

Hahaha. I thought the only one clueless about the case. I also didn't know who the killer was. And what his motive was.

I think if they try to focus more on the case and a little less on the personal stuff it would be better.

Maybe in the coming episodes we will see that. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But Jan Nash worked on "Without A Trace" and that had so much personal dramas with Sam and Jack. Sam and Martin. Then Sam and Danny who ended up dating the other agent (Roselyn Sanchez' character). Then Sam gets pregnant from a one night stand. She got back with Jack since he was finally divorced from his wife but then decided to be with her baby daddy.

So I don't know if I am thar hopeful about less personal drama on the show.

I'm glad Jane told Casey. And I think is very realistic to say that they're not sure what his role is going to be. He's in the army and currently deployed overseas. By default Jane is going to be the primary parent until Casey is out of the service and back in the US. Kind of hard to even do the weekend-and-holiday thing when Daddy is in a war zone.

Angela is so far over the line in telling anyone that Jane is pregnant. Not her news to tell. At all. 

Creepy killer. I really felt bad for those victims. Guys were just trying to turn their lives around and are thrown away like trash.

• Love 1

Yes, there are times Angela is funny but it has become less and less funny.

Janet Tamaro started this kind of humor and Jan Nash seems to be continuing it.

I just really hope we never see Lydia. And if possible, that is the last we see of Tommy this season.

• Love 1

I liked the shot Jane took when she leaped out from behind the tree and shot with her body horizontally. Angie Harmon did the stunt. She thanked Nash on Twitter for including it.

I'd be just as happy to never see or hear Angela again, pretty much the same for Tommy. I think that Korsak is the best character, and well played, at the moment. I'd like more crime solving than family drama/comedy (?) in what is supposed to be a police show.

• Love 1
(edited)

I rewatched the episode again and just watched the case scenes and finally got heads & tails of what happened. 

I liked the shot Jane took when she leaped out from behind the tree and shot with her body horizontally. Angie Harmon did the stunt. She thanked Nash on Twitter for including it.

I liked that shot as well. Glad Jan kept it as well. 

Edited by Samantha84

I'm glad Jane told Casey. And I think is very realistic to say that they're not sure what his role is going to be. He's in the army and currently deployed overseas. By default Jane is going to be the primary parent until Casey is out of the service and back in the US. Kind of hard to even do the weekend-and-holiday thing when Daddy is in a war zone.

Angela is so far over the line in telling anyone that Jane is pregnant. Not her news to tell. At all. 

Creepy killer. I really felt bad for those victims. Guys were just trying to turn their lives around and are thrown away like trash.

I agree with you about Angela, I think she steps over the line a lot.

But I think Jan Nash think we are supposed to find Angela funny.

I am getting tired of her. She was fun in the first two seasons. But she started to get annoying in season 3 and got even more so in season 4 and it's up to a point now that it is unbearable.

It is too bad because I love Lorraine Bracco.

• Love 1

Another thing, it's obvious in the last scene, the wearing heels part, that is all Angie. It is not Jane because we all know how much Angie loves heels and yeah, for the past 4 years, Jane hated heels. She cannot stand wearing heels. I hope this doesn't become a habit and that we start to see more and more of Angie than Jane

(edited)

Agreed. That moment felt totally out of character to me for all the reasons stated above. The moment the shoes came out that was Angie Harmon. Jane Rizzoli stepped back in after Maura asked why she came w. her to the class.

Edited by Samantha84

That annoyed me, too.  I don't dislike heels, but I don't get giddy over them, either (okay, the fact I have a pair of red heels that are as comfortable as they are cute does make me rather happy).  I have no problem with any individual woman being shoe crazy, but I do have a problem with 95 percent of women on television being that way.  To have a character who has explicitly stated a dislike of high-heeled shoes - a dislike that fits in nicely with her overall personality - suddenly start prancing around in any way other than mocking the entire concept was just dumb.

Yes. As cute as it was, Angie should have remembered that she is playing a character Jane who is a tomboy and the thought of wearing heels make her nauseous.

Again it was cute but it was unnecessary.

I was hoping these things didn't continue.

I know thst Lorraine is a formidable name, but they have to remember this is still a cop show. If snything, only 25% should involve personal stuff and the rest crime stuff. Meaning we should not see Angela much more than Suzie. There should be more of Suzie because she works in the lab with Maura to solve crimes. Angela works in a cafeteria. And this is about Rizzoli & Isles. Meaning Jane & Maura. Not Jane, Maura and Angela.

• Love 2
Yes. As cute as it was, Angie should have remembered that she is playing a character Jane who is a tomboy and the thought of wearing heels make her nauseous.

I don't blame Angie for that though .. she acted what was written for her. The writer of the episode and Jan Nash hold the fault, in my opinion.  Jan is new but writers that have been w. the show from the beginning should have spoke in the writers room against this.  PS? I was surprised at the shoes they gave Jane for Frost funeral. Were they gorg? Yep but they were too high for the character of Jane Rizzoli, in my opinion. 

PSS: The shoes Jane tried on were gorg as well! So much so I didn't hear what was being said b/c I was drooling over them. Blue and leopard print? LOVE!!!!! 

(edited)

But didn't Jan Nash said that shoe scene was all improv by Angie and Sasha Or was it another scene she was talking about?

“@Lauren4Hugs: @JanNash100 Was the heel click scripted or did @Angie_Harmon and @sashaalexander just improv that little gem?”

“@JanNash100: .@Lauren4Hugs @Angie_Harmon @sashaalexander That was all them.”

By the way, it is Jan Nash's responsibility to know these things. I am pretty sure she watched old episodes and was given a thorough rundowns on who these characters are. She is the showrunner so she has to know these things.