Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E07: The "Scare" Boat

• Start Topic

Hoping to find a new activity for the kids, Jen and Bill take Will and Zoe sailing.  Will masters steering the boat, but Zoey's first sailing excursion may well be her last.  Then, will throws his friends a sleep-under and things get a little crazy.    

Original air date 2019.09.03

stop.jpg.da2c48129ca98fb83c19531c74daa8eb.jpg  "Sleep  Under " ???  Say whaaat?

Just where do Will friends live if they can't be dropped off ??  I would think his cub scout friends live fairly close by ... parents normally don't go that far from school/church/home for that activity..

And didn't Will just have a mega party ?

Actually I looked forward to parties at that age - if only to loose the parents which cuts down on the guest list and cost..

Not to be mean, but what in it for the parents who are traveling from kingdom-come to this event - a free early dinner {ie who wants to get on the road late/bedtime with a sleepy child(ren) } and small-talk with other people you might not know either too well ? 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6

The idea of a sleep-under is kind of neat, especially for kids who may be skittish about spending the night in a strange house, but why on Earth would the parents have to hang around? I can't imagine anything worse than having to spend the day at someone's house, making awkward conversation and surreptitiously glancing at my watch. 

Lol at the family loading up with obviously comped gear at the boating shop: none of which was worn during the sailing lesson. They're going to have to buy a second house to store all the random junk they've accumulated as a result of this show. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

Props to the parents of the party gang to go along with the plan.  It appears that their kids are friends of Will's so it makes sense for them to get to know the Kleins as they will be running into each other frequently.  Parents of school aged kids seem to become, if not friends, at least acquaintances with the parents over the school years and these were good sports to agree to be on TV.  

Nothing like a bunch of kids hyped up on sugar to break the sound barrier!

• Love 9

I think it was great that Will was able to express that he didn’t want to get his shot while the camera people and everyone else was in the room.  I’m so glad he felt free to do that and that it was respected.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 18

I haven’t hosted or been an attendant at a ‘sleep under’ but have hosted parents or been hosted during an afternoon or evening of play for the kids. 

I attended Catholic school, as did /still do my children and as do the Klein children. It’s a different vibe at a parochial school, IMO, because you also go to church with these families. You do Friday night fish fry’s, doughnuts after Mass, Parish fundraisers and special events, play CYO sports and sit, as parents, at the sports practices together as well. 

Hell, my son’s football and basketball teammates and parents rotated homes twice a month on Saturday’s after games to cook out and socialize. My daughter had similar get togethers for her volleyball and basketball teams just not as often. The kids played and we, all 40-50 of us, were legitimate friends by the time the kids were in 2nd grade  

I don’t know how far Jen and Bill live from the school. In the past, there were lots of Catholic schools in neighborhoods all across cities and generally you went to the one closest to your house. Nowadays though, many have closed and also, not all offer a school resource program, which either or both of the children might be enrolled in. We have 13 K-8th grade Catholic schools in my city but only 3 offer resource. Perhaps the Klein’s picked the closest resource school to them or one that fit whatever other parameters they were looking for and the other parents chose it for close proximity to home or one parents job. 

Either way, to echo y’all above, Zoey’s bossiness and rudeness were on full display and not cute tonight. I’m sure Bill would say it was just ‘not her day or she needed a nap’ but I say she was in her element by creating added drama, screeching, repeating herself to the boys ad nauseam and being catered to entirely too much. Zoey needed her own friend over to play. Problem solved. 

• Love 7

Zoey's repeated instant and negative responses to almost anything Jen suggest to her annoys me greatly.  I just want Jen to step up for once and tell her, "No, this time, we do it mommie's way."  It's as if Jen apologizes for even making the suggestion. And it rarely meest Zoey's approval.  I find it very disappointing.  I doubt their family and friends are amused either.  

I really miss the old episodes.  It's probably not likely the kids will go to boarding school, right? lol

• Love 13

It seems like the Kleins are not used to having their kids friends over. Jen said that she didn't hear anyone crying. Bill said that nobody was bleeding. Wow, so much drama because a small group of boys were playing downstairs.

When my boy was 9, his friends were in and out of my house everyday. I didn't even give it a thought. They played and I went about my business.

Bill and Jen seemed to think something awful was going to happen. It's obvious that they are not used to having their kids friends around.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, Libby said:

It seems like the Kleins are not used to having their kids friends over. Jen said that she didn't hear anyone crying. Bill said that nobody was bleeding.

I've heard other parents say the same thing. They let the kids go about having their fun without supervision unless someone starts screaming or presents themselves for a band-aid.  IF they were helicopter parents or unused to groups of kids they would have been right in the room the whole time.

I do with they had let it be a boys only party and entertained Zoey in some other fashion. I have a sister and resented her intruding on time with my friends because she was younger. It must be even harder with a boy/girl pairing.  

• Love 6

First, the chants of "Can we chase Zoey?" like she was an animal were creepy and #boymoms everywhere need to nip that shit in the bud.

Second, it was stated multiple times that the parents stayed as it was a way for the adults to make friends. I always go to the moms I know for networking because they know everyone through their kids!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, winsomeone said:

The way Zoey behaves, I seriously doubt that she has friends at all. Child doesn't seem to know how to interact with kids her own age other than boss them around. She did the same thing with her cousins last week.

Because Jen and Bill do not teach her otherwise. She gets away with it now because she's cute as a button but what happens when she's in her teens and older? Who is going to want to be around that? Jen seems to be quite proud of they way she behaves.  Last night she called her a "woman". Umm.. no Jen. She is a child with so much to learn. They need to take her off that pedestal and start parenting. I was enjoying these first few episodes of the new season but last night's annoyed me. Bill seems to be on another planet most of the time. Is he still on pain meds? I get a loopy vibe from him. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I think Zoey behaved the way most little sisters would. She wanted to be included and they weren't thrilled to do so.

I don't know about that. I would never have behaved that way with my older brother and his friends. In fact, I wanted nothing to do with them when they were all together having fun. Zoey would have a fit if she had a little girls night and Will kept interfering.  

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I don't know about that. I would never have behaved that way with my older brother and his friends. In fact, I wanted nothing to do with them when they were all together having fun. Zoey would have a fit if she had a little girls night and Will kept interfering.  

I remember my neighbor/friend growing up was the only girl and youngest child. These things happened. And yes she would have a fit too. 

• Love 1

One more observation: when they were at the marina and the sailing instructor was greeting everybody, he said hello to each one of them by name and when he said hello to Will and introduced himself Will ignored the man and walked right past him. I thought that was incredibly rude and should have been a teaching moment for Bill to call Will over, have him look the man in the eye and say hello. 

• Love 24

This episode was a lot more stage-managed than last week's. When the kids rejected the Captain's hats, I could picture a producer off-screen whispering "Okay Zoey, now make a sad face! Thumbs down! You really hate it!". It just didn't feel organic and reminded my of why I'm not a fan of kids being on reality shows. 

Ditto for the doctor's appointment. I was glad Will spoke up for himself with regards to the shot, but IMO, this wasn't something that needed to be filmed in the first place. 

During the sleep-under I was eye-rolling that one mother waxing on about her jam-packed calender. Is over-scheduling every minute of your kid's life supposed to be a positive thing these days? 

I really enjoyed Jen's talk show segment about the importance of vaccines, but everything else in the episode fell flat. 

• Love 9

I'm not sure why they said Will's friends lived so far away if most of them are from his school or scout pack.  They attend the local Catholic school and church and it's only 6 minutes from their house.  It could be something the producers wanted to throw in there or possibly a lot of the kids are driven in to attend the school.  

My daughter avoids the "Zoey problem" by making sure to invite at least a couple of boys who have younger sisters around her daughter's age.  It's a really easy fix.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 6

I would be shocked if Will and Zoey have friends at school. I have a grandson with slight handicaps, and he is bullied and terrorized at school by his peers. Kids are cruel. These kids have multiple handicaps..speech, developmentally delayed, and they are dwarfs. So maybe they might find a friend in someone else who has a handicap of some sort, but a group of "normal" kids? I don't buy it. These kids were trucked in for the show period. Really sad, but it is the way things work.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

I would be shocked if Will and Zoey have friends at school. I have a grandson with slight handicaps, and he is bullied and terrorized at school by his peers. Kids are cruel. These kids have multiple handicaps..speech, developmentally delayed, and they are dwarfs. So maybe they might find a friend in someone else who has a handicap of some sort, but a group of "normal" kids? I don't buy it. These kids were trucked in for the show period. Really sad, but it is the way things work.

This makes me feel sad for Will and Zoey. I really hope that this isn't the case.

• Love 1

Yes, that would be sad but reality sucks sometimes.  Can you imagine your child coming home and saying “guess who is in my class, a kid who is on tv!”  They become friends and low and behold they all get invited to get a moment or two of fame themselves and be invited to be filmed.   I can hear a parent saying now “be nice so we can be on tv too”. But I am sure I exaggerate...lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

While that's possible and happens in some places, it's definitely not the case everywhere.  We have a child who's a dwarf that's gone through our schools a year behind my middle son and while I'm sure he's had a few issues here and there, he's generally regarded as any other kid.  There are also other kids who have obvious disabilities (in wheelchairs, have cerebral palsy, etc.) and others who don't, but still struggle (Type 1 diabetes, Crohn's, epilepsy, etc.) who are all regarded as "regular" kids.  It really depends on the school and the community.   I'm terribly sorry for your grandson that he has to endure the callousness and stupidity of bullies.

23 hours ago, Absolom said:

I'm not sure why they said Will's friends lived so far away if most of them are from his school or scout pack.  They attend the local Catholic school and church and it's only 6 minutes from their house.  It could be something the producers wanted to throw in there or possibly a lot of the kids are driven in to attend the school.  

My daughter avoids the "Zoey problem" by making sure to invite at least a couple of boys who have younger sisters around her daughter's age.  It's a really easy fix.

I got the impression that Bill meant that they lived far away in that the kids couldn't just run outside and play together.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Aw, I'm really sad to hear that about your grandson. I thought schools were supposed to be big on anti-bullying? It seems like the problem is getting worse, not better.

Just based on surface observations, I think Will might have an easier time making friends than Zoey. He seems generally affable, while Zoey leans towards bossy and demanding. I can see her having issues, especially if she doesn't grow out of that behavior quickly. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, winsomeone said:

That's awful. I know that went on when I was young (I was "fat") and that the schools were addressing it, but I guess not. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, winsomeone said:

These kids were trucked in for the show period.

I honestly don't think that was the case.  They all seemed comfortable with him, starting pillow fights and carrying on.  And interacting with him at the cub scout event as well.  I don't think any of them were professional actors putting on an act.

It is sad to think that bullying continues to be an issue in schools. We are really sliding backwards these days.

• Love 8

Zoey seems to be developmentally delayed, right?  Her reactions and responses to things seem to me more like a 4/5 year old rather than a 7 (almost 8) year old.  My daughter is just a couple months older than Zoey and when I watch the show I really see the difference.  Do you think its from spending her first two years in an orphanage and not getting the attention/nutrition to properly develop?  How long would that affect a child?

• Love 4

Yes, Zoey is more four or five than seven or seven and a half in these episodes.  She acts tremendously like my granddaughter who is four.  Her speech is still not as clear as the average kindergartner where we live.  Malnutrition and lack of stimulation in infancy and toddlerhood usually results in lifelong issues.  Although some of the growth inhibition and delays can be overcome, some deficits will more than likely always remain.  Bill alluded to that talking about how tiny Zoey was when they adopted her and how even with all they've done for her and guaranteed she's been well fed ever since, she's still "below the curve" for height and weight.  She's lower than the 5th percentile even for kids with achondroplasia and it seemed the doctor was saying likely always would be. 

I was pleased to hear that Will was lower in his percentile for weight than for height.  There has been ongoing concern that he was going to be overweight and so far that's been very controlled it seems.  

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I honestly don't think that was the case.  They all seemed comfortable with him, starting pillow fights and carrying on.  And interacting with him at the cub scout event as well.  I don't think any of them were professional actors putting on an act.

It is sad to think that bullying continues to be an issue in schools. We are really sliding backwards these days.

Plus, his friends seemed genuinely affectionate and engaged with him at his birthday party.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Just based on surface observations, I think Will might have an easier time making friends than Zoey. He seems generally affable, while Zoey leans towards bossy and demanding. I can see her having issues, especially if she doesn't grow out of that behavior quickly. 

I think both Will and Zoey are under the auspices of a very loving and compassionate Catholic School administration and teaching staff that the Arnold-Klein family has, no doubt, ingratiated themselves with in (I would assume) many ways, both material and spiritual.

When Jenn accepted the position at Johns Hopkins I believe she came highly recommended from her Houston Hospital.  The Kleins were already TV luminaries and established as very accomplished, distinguished people who are looked up to as huge successes in the face of adversity.  The 2 kids bring their own special "story" to the situation and are routinely lauded by many (100% of Facebook comments, for example border on adoration) .  

The family lives an affluent lifestyle that is child centered.  I'm sure, (as was mentioned up thread) that the other parents are more than happy to associate themselves with such a high-profile family (at least MANY of the parents) who indulge their kids in every conceivable way and throw fantastic parties.  Appearing on TV may also be alluring.  This special status for Will and Zoey is likely passed on to their children.

From what I know about similar situations (being a teacher of high-profile kids at one time), Will and Zoey are, if anything, singled out for special attention and understanding because the professional and support personnel of the school know their story and know the exposure all concerned will receive in the media.

Jenn made mention in the latest episode of how she has prioritized practicing her profession on many media platforms.  

I would say my main concern is that the kids, in this type of environment, develop a sense of "entitlement" to special treatment, especially as concerns the constant flow of material advantages given to them that they accept as the "norm" irrespective of their peers who may not come from similar-type circumstances.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Had no idea the intricacies (right word?) of sailing. Very cool. 

Of all the great things Jen wears, I think I loved her most in her t-shirt and scrubs and black sweater/jacket at the kid’s dr appt.  Guessing she was working that day? It was just cute. 

• Love 6

I hate to say this but if I hear Jen say "Good Job!!" one more time to those kids, I'm going to lose it. I'm all for positive reinforcement but I really think she carries it too far where it's lost it's meaning. EVERYTHING and ANYTHING those children do are not spectacular. Please quit it, Jen and get real.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

I hate to say this but if I hear Jen say "Good Job!!" one more time to those kids, I'm going to lose it. I'm all for positive reinforcement but I really think she carries it too far where it's lost it's meaning. EVERYTHING and ANYTHING those children do are not spectacular. Please quit it, Jen and get real.

Couldn’t agree more!  BIll is also guilty of this new style of helicopter parenting or whatever it is called now.  Receiving constant kudos for every.single.thing can set them up for failure in the real world.  Every day is Disney Day at the Kleins.  And as far as the activities go, they seem to be pushing the kids to get involved in many outdoor activities like sailing to se what sticks.  Why on earth do kids have to be involved in so many extra curricular activities these days, it is costly and as Jen says she needs an app to pull together FIVE schedules.  Why do people need to be so busy.   What happened to nights spent at home watching the tube together or kids playing outside in the driveway with their friends.  Geez remember the days when kids didn’t have tablets to keep them occupied...now they look for activities to keep their kids off the tablets...how about not giving them one at all.  

• Love 15

Zoey had on her bossy pants and should have been offered a movie to occupy her time but trying and failing to dictate the boys' activities makes for better teevee.

Boo on her parents.

At least Bill/Jen didn't allow the pack of boys to chase her and mow her over....

Can we have one episode where the kids aren't shopping?

Toys(yes, for charity but both the kids got to self shop for one toy but didn't that just negate the reason for teaching them to think of others before themselves)...pirate costumes...sun wear...stop with the consumerism....

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
58 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Can we have one episode where the kids aren't shopping?

Toys(yes, for charity but both the kids got to self shop for one toy but didn't that just negate the reason for teaching them to think of others before themselves)...pirate costumes...sun wear...stop with the consumerism....

I couldn't agree more. I understand Bill and Jen are in a different income bracket and I don't expect them to live like the average person, but these kids get presents or toys literally every episode. So much useless crap for all these outings and they do them what, once for the show? Despite Jen's claims, I doubt boating and sailing are going to be a part of their regular routine, so they really didn't need $500 worth of clothes in preparation for it. I like this family, but the materialism is a bit distasteful. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

Couldn't agree more about all the consumerism, toys and gifts. When Bill presented the captains' hats to the children, What did Will say?...."I want a toy." Another split second scene in Zoe's bedroom (lots of pink in it) showed a wall unit shelf with toys all over. Messy, disorganized and an overabundance of 'things'. I don't think Bill and Jen are doing those kids any favors by showering them with stuff. Their lists are only going to get more expensive as they age....Will they buy them brand new Mercedes convertibles for their 16th birthdays? I do believe that these children 'like their parents' for what they could and do buy them. I'm sorry to say that but I don't see much affection AT ALL coming from them to their parents. Jen and Bill try to show them affection but they are really ignored and blown off for the most part by these kids. It's at least what I have noticed on the show. I don't begrudge Jen the income she has, she has worked for it by becoming a physician against the odds. I'm glad for her, but what does annoy me is what they DO with this money. They give their children TOO MUCH. Yet, it never seems to be enough for Will. He always has another 'item' he's waiting for. Bill needs to grow up himself and act like a FATHER, not a friend licking his son's boots to be liked. Jen is still nervous around the kids, especially Zoe. I don't think she really believes that she is accepted and loved by Zoe for who she is..hence, the never ending 'toy' list. Sad situation. I also wonder how a private Catholic school is equipped to deal with the needs of Will and Zoe as students there. From my experience in Catholic school, they are NOT equipped for such needs. It was YOU, the student, who had to conform, not the school conforming to the student. I'm sure they are glad that the Klein Family's tuition check is always 'good'. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Sounds like Dudley Dursley in Harry Potter.  Pitched a fit in the first book because he ONLY got 37 presents for his birthday, when he had gotten 38 the prior year.  The only way to mollify him was to promise he could buy two more presents when they took him to the zoo for his birthday.

• Love 5

I'm so delighted to see how the fami has "jelled" since last season. Will and Joey are just adorable in their little segments and seem to enjoy playing with each other. Zoey is such a typical little sister that she could give lessons on how to needle big brothers but still have a solid, close relationship that hopefully will last their whole lives. And of course the fact that Will does have friends now will pay off in about a decade, when Zoey needs a date to her prom.

There was a lot of discussion in past seasons about how Will didn't like or respect Jen, and how awful it will be in later years when they are out together and he runs off. That particular scenario looks like it wasn't a problem; the four of them have a relaxed attitude and while there may be normal rebellion in a few years, it looks like they get along very nicely now.

I'm enjoying the show much more since the children have matured and so much easier to deal with.

• Love 10
On 9/6/2019 at 6:29 PM, floridamom said:

I.m tired of bill constantly saying how fast the kids are growing...or how fast time is going....he's making  those statements as if he's about to send the kids off to college (ie reflecting on 18 yrs) . And yes bill kids do grow in many ways including intellectually.  this is supposed to happen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 9/3/2019 at 11:45 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Zoey is one little bossy princess.  It was Will’s sleep party and she needn’t have been part of it at all as Bill said a couple of times so I assume Jen thought Zoey just had to be there and got her way.  Then Zoey doesn’t get her way being the boss of the boys so the parents turn the focus to her because she is shutting herself in a room and sulking.  Bill goes downstairs to tell the boys to be nice to her etc giving her all the friggin power.  It wasn’t her party!!  They call it independence, I call it spoiled and it would have been a good night to send her to Grandma’s for a sleep over of her own.  

I have to agree, what will Zoe do when someone else gets promoted over her when she’s a grown up & working?  Lock herself in the supply room?  Kids need to learn not everything is about them.

• Love 8

hey who braided Zoey's hair during the sleepover?  Jen learned how to do do hair ?? I thought she didn't like nor wanted to learn to do little girls hairstyles.

Good for her if she learned how to part and braid... Granted she's had what 3-4 years to learn....

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
On 9/8/2019 at 2:00 PM, floridamom said:

Couldn't agree more about all the consumerism, toys and gifts. When Bill presented the captains' hats to the children, What did Will say?...."I want a toy."

At first I thought they were bringing out the same captain's hats that they bought in New York.  Then they showed the scene from NYC and the hats are slightly different.  So maybe the NY hats never made it to Florida at all or they got torn up between Christmas and summer or they are somewhere in the house and Jen and Bill forgot they had already bought the children captain's hats until the crew from TLC showed them the NYC footage.  Who knows?!  I am just surprised she didn't buy them sailor suits as well.

On 9/8/2019 at 12:29 PM, BitterApple said:

Despite Jen's claims, I doubt boating and sailing are going to be a part of their regular routine, so they really didn't need $500 worth of clothes in preparation for it. I like this family, but the materialism is a bit distasteful. 

Maybe because I spent a lot of my youth in Florida near the coast, I think they will spend a lot of time on the water in the coming years.  I predict Zoey will overcome  her fear of waves in a few years.  Grandpa is buying another larger boat so I am sure he will take the cousins on lots of fun boat rides.  And I think Will may well like sail boats as well.   I hope the clothing was because they were on tv;  all they need are some boat shoes, life preservers, sun screen and sun glasses plus regular shorts and tees or bathing suits and they are ready to go.  I haven't done much sailing;  that looked like fun.  We used to ride on the bow of the boat and lean on the windscreen of our ski boat back in the middle ages when I was growing up.  I am sure that is illegal now.   I love boats, and the faster the better.

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, sATL said:

hey who braided Zoey's hair during the sleepover?  Jen learned how to do do hair ?? I thought she didn't like nor wanted to learn to do little girls hairstyles.

Good for her if she learned how to part and braid... Granted she's had what 3-4 years to learn....

Did she really say she had no interest in learning how to fix little girls hair??? Why would she want a little girl but not want to fix her up? 

• Love 1