Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E13: Moving Pictures

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I really didn't want Dani to go. She's never been in the bottom before and I think the judges have stepped on her a couple of times when she could/should have won. Maybe I'm making excuses, but her eagle was well inked even if the stubby body looked more like an owl.

That said, I hope Laura Marie wins. 

All the wheelchair hubcap thingies in the flash challenge were nice and the kids made me cry.

Looking at the finalists' records, Jason has won three times, Laura twice, Pon once and Dani and Jake zero. Interesting season.

Edit: Dani updated her tattoo after the show to make it trash polka-y.

updated.JPG

Edited by 2727
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I really didn't want Dani to go. She's never been in the bottom before and I think the judges have stepped on her a couple of times when she could/should have won. Maybe I'm making excuses, but her eagle was well inked even if the stubby body looked more like an owl.

All the wheelchair hubcap thingies in the flash challenge were nice and the kids made me cry.

Looking at the finalists' records, Jason has won three times, Laura twice, Pon once and Dani and Jake zero. Interesting season.

14 minutes ago, 2727 said:

updated.JPG

Well thank goodness she added the trash polka style.  Hopefully he can go somewhere and get the wings extended to take away from the squat body.  I knew they weren't going to send her home though because the final 4 have to be 2 guys and 2 girls.   Cam's wasn't that bad, it could have been fixed.  He was in the worst position though because Creepy Jason is being given a finalist edit and Dani was one of the last 2 girls.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, 2727 said:

updated.JPG

I think that makes it look worse.  Now it looks like the eagle has smashed on the ground and there are blood splatters.

6 hours ago, zoltana said:

I knew they weren't going to send her home though because the final 4 have to be 2 guys and 2 girls.   Cam's wasn't that bad, it could have been fixed.  He was in the worst position though because Creepy Jason is being given a finalist edit and Dani was one of the last 2 girls.  

I felt any of the bottom 3 tattoos could have gone home, but agree with you that Dani being one of the last two females meant she was staying and Cam's string of trips to the bottom lately meant it was going to be him. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Never really saw Cam as that unlikable. Yeah, he's cocky and arrogant but I'm not even sure he makes my top 15 most unlikable contestants list. And he actually had some talent, unlike some of the arrogant hacks we've had over the years.

Might as well toss Jake and Pon into the dungeon next week and let them fight it out. The show wants their male/female 2v2 and Jason figures to be safe as the winningest contestant remaining. 

The episodes flow so much better without teams and coaches. Less drama, more artwork to look at, and a better sense of how talented each of the artists is on their own merit. I don't even remember who the returning coaches from the first half of the season were, let alone which of them advanced to the "coaches finale". 

Laura v Jason seems to be the destined showdown at this point. Possible foreshadowing with Laura admitting in an interview that Jason is probably her biggest competition.

• Love 8

I don't really have any Cam hate but for he isn't top material for me either. That said IMO his was the best of the bottom tattoos. That pigeon with an eagle head or that HORRENDOUS coffin should have gone before his. I guess he was next on the producer's list for an ouster so bye bye big boy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm glad to see Cam go, though I would have gone with the terrible coffin.  That one was, by far, the worst in my opinion.  My biggest problem with Cam is that he's just not as good as he thinks he is and refuses to take any feedback that would help him improve.  He just doesn't believe that his work could possibly be anything other than awesome.  He's also a one trick pony.  He does black and grey, that's his trick.  He's very good at it and can add a pop of color, but that's all he can really do.  Every time he's tried a full color tattoo his color has been off. 

I agreed with Pon winning the flash challenge.  He did a really nice job. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, staphdude said:

That pigeon with an eagle head

Heh. It makes so much more sense as a mythical half and half creature!

It was typical of Cam's self-regard that he thought Pon should know he likes to do mandalas. People aren't paying that much attention to you, dude!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

The only defense I can even attempt to muster about Dani's eagle is that we're seeing it foreshortened in 2D. Maybe, maybe, the effect is different seeing it in real life, with the wings wrapping around to the front of the neck. Maybe.

• Love 2

The eagle was all kinds of odd.  There were major issues with the drawing.  I understand her challenge of fitting it into the space.  It was difficult but she really missed the mark.  He can always tell people it is some form of mythical creature, part eagle, part owl, part budgie, part angry feathered hamster.  

At the same time, that coffin was bad in so many ways.  Peck made the comment (supposedly) prior to them starting, that one of the tricky things with neck tattoos is getting the "canvas" positioned right.  That is, if you're extending the neck the lines will look odd in other positions.  Um, yep, that's what happened.  It looked wavy.

Even with those two failures, I'm not too sad to say goodbye to Cam.  When he can't do exactly what he specializes in, he fails.  The color was so poorly applied.  His canvas is lucky in that they can have someone else go over it to pack the color in.  Cam also had the easier tattoo in that it is very much a known symbol.  He did not have to do a lot in terms of design.  Dani's failed at design, not application.  Cam's design was pretty much a given. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

Laura v Jason seems to be the destined showdown at this point. Possible foreshadowing with Laura admitting in an interview that Jason is probably her biggest competition.

I agree, and honestly that's also the way it should be.

In today's flash challenge, which I shamelessly admit I watched through a thick and persistent veil of tears, Laura and Jason were the only two artists who proved they can actually draw. As a matter of fact I was quite shocked at how bad some of the other drawings were. When they announced Pon as the winner I was speechless. A first grader could draw better than that. I like Pon as a person, but based on his tattoos throughout the show, I think he deserved to go home more than Cam, whose tattoo didn't actually look that bad to me. 

I also liked Jason's tattoo. Sure, the outline at the top was wobbly, but he said it was because the canvas moved or stretched too much and I believe him, 'cause so far he's never had that kind of problem. If they had sent him home it would've been a big mistake. 

Edited by stormy weather
  • Love 5

I put off watching the last five minutes or so of this episode because I was sure they were going to send Dani away despite ruling in favor application every other time, and I was annoyed enough to just stop. Then I watched the rest and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm rewatching now and it's interesting that Dani is getting advice on drawing an eagle in the flash challenge. Later Oliver describes that eagle in positive terms as "the toughest eagle in all the land," and I'm thinking that it's probably the second toughest now. Also Pon says something like "there are no losers today,,,,except for Cam!"

There was a lot of foreshadowing in this episode. What it could have used more of was proper foreshortening.

• Love 1
On 9/4/2019 at 9:17 PM, Charlesman said:

I was surprised the flash challenge even had a winner. I seem to remember in a previous season that when it was a challenge like that, they didn't declare any winner or loser. 

It was obvious none of the judges were going to shit on these inspirational and personally chosen canvas "murals" and thereby make the recipients feel that they'd gotten the shaft or subpar work. 

I agree with the person here who said Pon's artwork was jacked. I thought Cam's was the least impressive, but it did suit his client. It just looked pretty simplistic at this point in the game.

Dani's design was jacked--those little hooks and the squareness of the eagle's wings along with the head turned sideways, made it look like the eagle as rendered --I say this matter of factly-- in some Nazi imagery. If i could provide an example without googling "nazi eagle" I would. But some of you get what I'm talking about, i imagine. I would not have been pleased to get that, if I'd asked for an eagle.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ham On Wry said:

... Dani's design was jacked--those little hooks and the squareness of the eagle's wings along with the head turned sideways, made it look like the eagle as rendered --I say this matter of factly-- in some Nazi imagery. If i could provide an example without googling "nazi eagle" I would. But some of you get what I'm talking about, i imagine. I would not have been pleased to get that, if I'd asked for an eagle.

I get it perfectly, because it's what I thought too !

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Ham On Wry said:

some of you get what I'm talking about

Whoa... now that you mention it I can't unsee the image of it gripping a swastika. *shudders*

EDIT: It was purely unintentional in that regard but looking back... yikes.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 3

I found the image I was "seeing"... And I'm really hoping that it's not a problem to post it here, as it's part of History and sports.
EDIT : I found another image, without the Nazi logo, and it's much "better" and less problematic to share 😉.
(EDIT 2 : @Ham On Wry : I googled Munich 1936 Olympics 😉 )

Cigaretten-Bilderdienst-Hamburg-Bahrenfe

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Useful 2

Dani and Jason are both so much better than Cam and have shown it consistently throughout the competition. Cam has been given chance after chance, it would have been crazy to not give either Dani or Jason this chance, even though the coffin was terrible (I thought the eagle was cute).