Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
kariyaki

S01.E06: Unaccompanied Fae

Recommended Posts

Quote

The pieces of the puzzle start to come together for Philo. Vignette finds home in a place she never expected. Jonah sneaks off to see someone he shouldn’t. Imogen and Agreus step out together in public.

Airdate: Friday, August 30, 2019

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, I did NOT like that you had Portia react that way, show. She and Philo were my OTP.

(that's it, that's the comment) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, I-Kare said:

Okay, I did NOT like that you had Portia react that way, show.

But that's what's so good about this show . . . they keep flouting our expectations.

Yeah, it turns out that Portia sucks.  And now she's outed Philo to everyone, which results in his arrest.  In fact we end the episode with BOTH leading characters in jail.  What now?

And speaking of Vignette getting arrested . . . I was thoroughly confused by what was going on in the museum.  Are we to understand that the library that Vignette "locked" all those years ago has been discovered and transported in it's entirety to London The Burque?  That must have been quite an undertaking.

I did enjoy the pairing of Agreus and Imogen out in public, refusing to be cowed by all the disapproval.  That was fun.

I did NOT enjoy the parade of fauns practicing self-flagellation.  I know that's a thing in some actual religions but I don't think it's a heathy thing so I hated to see that group -- whose religion had previously seemed a very positive influence -- be revealed to have a very dark side.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

But that's what's so good about this show . . . they keep flouting our expectations.

Yeah, it turns out that Portia sucks.  And now she's outed Philo to everyone, which results in his arrest.  In fact we end the episode with BOTH leading characters in jail.  What now?

Maybe I've watched too much tv in my 49 years, but that didn't flout my expectations at all! 😀Since they obviously think Philo and Vignette are some sort of star crossed lovers, they had to set Portia up to get rid of her somehow, so this was as good as any other reason. 

I shipped Portia/Philo, but that doesn't mean I thought they'd last. Now *that* would have gone against expectations. 

Edited by I-Kare · Reason: typo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I also didn't  expect Portia to last.  This way, he breaks up with his girlfriend without him coming across as a jerk or needing to spend appropriate time grieving if they'd killed her off instead.  It's  a shame though, I really liked them together and would much prefer if the two leads not get back together (I'm perfectly fine with Vignette being with that fairy friend of hers).  Vignette and Philo are a sadly inescapable future, though.

Quote

I did enjoy the pairing of Agreus and Imogen out in public, refusing to be cowed by all the disapproval.  That was fun.

I loved this.  They're really very entertaining together.  They're becoming the best part of the show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, nemesis said:

I also didn't  expect Portia to last.  This way, he breaks up with his girlfriend without him coming across as a jerk or needing to spend appropriate time grieving if they'd killed her off instead.  It's  a shame though, I really liked them together and would much prefer if the two leads not get back together (I'm perfectly fine with Vignette being with that fairy friend of hers).  Vignette and Philo are a sadly inescapable future, though.

I loved this.  They're really very entertaining together.  They're becoming the best part of the show.

I agreed with everything you said! It'll be interesting to see what's next for Agreus and Imogen.

I would love for Vignette and Tourmaline to be a lasting couple, and you're right Portia's betrayal was a convenient way to get rid of Portia without Philo looking like some sort of jerk. 

Oh well, I rarely ship who the powers that be wants everyone to, so I'm used to not seeing couples I want together.

Edited by I-Kare · Reason: got ahead of myself and the episode

Share this post


Link to post

On 8/30/2019 at 9:37 PM, I-Kare said:

Okay, I did NOT like that you had Portia react that way, show. She and Philo were my OTP.

(that's it, that's the comment) 

I was waiting for her to react just like that, after all the probing and pushing him to reveal himself I knew she wouldn’t be able to handle the truth. 

As for Portia’s behavior saving Philo from being a jerk for dumping her...well, Portia is a big girl. If she couldn’t get past fuck buddy stage and didn’t like it, she could have stopped going to his room at any time. That relationship, if you want to call it that, was never going to work because Philo was never going to be all in. He should have trusted his gut and kept his secrets to himself. And she should have just accepted what they had for what it was. Great sex.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, taurusrose said:

As for Portia’s behavior saving Philo from being a jerk for dumping her...well, Portia is a big girl. If she couldn’t get past fuck buddy stage and didn’t like it, she could have stopped going to his room at any time. That relationship, if you want to call it that, was never going to work because Philo was never going to be all in. He should have trusted his gut and kept his secrets to himself. And she should have just accepted what they had for what it was. Great sex.

You and I are talking from two different perspectives. I was speaking from a storytelling perspective. Which I thought was obvious from the conversation Nemesis and I were having. 

Edited by I-Kare

Share this post


Link to post

I guess it shouldn't have been that surprising that Portia would end up not being enlightened or ahead of her time as she initially came off, and would betray Philo at the end.  So, now he's off to jail, but since Vignette is now there too (I'm guess that was the actual library she had protected back in episode 3), I'm guessing this is all leading to the two teaming up and somehow breaking out.

Looks like Sophie is putting on an act and isn't actually a flat-out bigot, but playing the role to earn the support of her father's supporters.  Also, Jonah is totally enthralled with her, so his parents better watch their asses!

Speaking of which, Piety making Haruspex stay in order to avoid her death she foresaw is totally going to end up not working, right?

Ah, nothing can make two people bond than putting snobbish assholes in their place!  Imogen and Agreus have that in common at least!

Glad that everything is starting to connect now.  Hope we get some different interactions with the main cast in the last two episodes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was having no problem with Vignette until this episode. I also have no sympathy for Portia. I love Tourmaline and Sophie though.

So, are Pucks more acceptable than Fae? I ask because the sign specifically said “No Fae” allowed.

I am also confused by who is what. For instance, is the “witch” woman human or a Fae? If so, why is Jonah’s mother so concerned about her well-being, because I thought she disliked the Fae. And was Darius born a werewolf? Is Sophie supposed to be biracial on the show? She made mention of her mother not originally being excepted in an earlier episode.

Despite all these questions, I really am enjoying the show. The cast is descent to me. This is a good role for Orlando. Also, there are many stories going on that can keep one interested if they are not interested in another. In the end, I think they will all come together to solve the overarching mystery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I was having no problem with Vignette until this episode. I also have no sympathy for Portia. I love Tourmaline and Sophie though.

So, are Pucks more acceptable than Fae? I ask because the sign specifically said “No Fae” allowed.

I am also confused by who is what. For instance, is the “witch” woman human or a Fae? If so, why is Jonah’s mother so concerned about her well-being, because I thought she disliked the Fae. And was Darius born a werewolf? Is Sophie supposed to be biracial on the show? She made mention of her mother not originally being excepted in an earlier episode.

Despite all these questions, I really am enjoying the show. The cast is descent to me. This is a good role for Orlando. Also, there are many stories going on that can keep one interested if they are not interested in another. In the end, I think they will all come together to solve the overarching mystery.

I think Fae is the broad term for all the magical species so that includes the Pucks. Agreus is hoping that his money will allow him to buy acceptance despite being a Puck. 

Darius was scratched by a werewolf while serving as a soldier in Tiernanoc. Philo knew and kept his secret.

Sophie 's mother is from a land that is meant to be reminiscent of Egypt i think. I am confused about the race relations on the show. Obviously there is prejudice against the Fae but I thought they might be portraying a generally colorblind society since there was a black couple in Imogen's social circle. Perhaps the Burgue was more racist when Sophie was a child but when the Fae were discovered humankind joined together as one and redirected their prejudices towards a group who were more obviously different and other.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

21 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

Sophie 's mother is from a land that is meant to be reminiscent of Egypt i think. I am confused about the race relations on the show. Obviously there is prejudice against the Fae but I thought they might be portraying a generally colorblind society since there was a black couple in Imogen's social circle. Perhaps the Burgue was more racist when Sophie was a child but when the Fae were discovered humankind joined together as one and redirected their prejudices towards a group who were more obviously different and other.

Sophie's speech to the legislature talked about her mother's "forefathers" fleeing their homeland and coming to the Burgue to face discrimination that was no longer a thing in the present, so I think that stuff happened a long time ago, not the recent past.  "Forefathers" isn't generally a rhetorical formulation people use when they're describing recent history.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well...fuck you Portia. She wanted Philo to let her in more, and he did, and I guess she really didnt want to be let in that much! I guess not all bigots are ranting in the streets, they can seem perfectly nice until suddenly they arent. So even if/when he clears his name, his life is pretty deeply screwed up now that everyone knows that he is half fae. 

So did they just find the buried library and just drag it all the way across the ocean? That must have been a serious undertaking, but at least some of the books were saved, even if the actual people they belonged to cant even see them without a human babysitter!

So Sophie isnt actually a racist, she is just playing politics. Of course, that hardly makes her a very good person, considering she is now helping pass laws to discriminate against innocent people, even though she knows its wrong. She is a pretty interesting character though, and I really like the actress. 

 Imogen and Agreus out and about at the auction was a pretty big deal, and they were really great together. She seemed to get a kick out of his snarky sense of humor, and they bonded over screwing over snobby jerks! Also loved his gold plated hooves, now thats classy! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Can someone refresh my memory, what did Darius end up in jail for?

Quote

For instance, is the “witch” woman human or a Fae? If so, why is Jonah’s mother so concerned about her well-being, because I thought she disliked the Fae. 

Haruspex is fae, you can see her wings when her back is to the camera.

There's a strange disconnect between the bigotry against the Fae and the idea that a museum dedicated to their art would be popular. I'd also like to know what the war was about if two sides were fighting for their "resources." Their homeland looked pretty barren to me. What exactly were the two factions after?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Can someone refresh my memory, what did Darius end up in jail for?

For being a werewolf.  There doesn’t appear to be more to it than that — well, I guess he also lied about being a werewolf, which would probably be legitimate grounds for court martial.

Quote

There's a strange disconnect between the bigotry against the Fae and the idea that a museum dedicated to their art would be popular. 

I don’t think there’s any disconnect there. Western museums in the 19th century were packed with artefacts from cultures that Westerners considered inferior.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So I have a new theory. Philo’s Dad isn’t the headmaster/monk at the school, I think when Philo’s mom was pregnant she knew she wouldn’t be able to keep the baby, and the dr/mortician who took care of  her told her that he knew the someone at a foundling home for boys who would keep the child safe (his long term companion) so long as his wings were clipped. I do think she agreed to this. 

The Faun Houskeeper (I’m sorry I cannot remember her name) said that Philo’s mom seemed afraid of the father of her baby- maybe she thought he would kill the baby if he knew about the child’s existence. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I kept yelling out loud at Philo, “DON’T TELL HER!”  I knew she would freak out but I thought she’d keep his secret a little longer. She and the young policeman suck. 

I loved Imogen and Agreus’s date. She’s beginning to see his charm. And now we know how Imogen and Ezra are connected to Philo. 

On 9/2/2019 at 4:02 PM, Enigma X said:

So, are Pucks more acceptable than Fae? I ask because the sign specifically said “No Fae” allowed.

I guess the museum folks were afraid of reactions similar to Vignette’s. 

Could the Chancellor be Philo’s father?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Perhaps the Burgue was more racist when Sophie was a child but when the Fae were discovered humankind joined together as one and redirected their prejudices towards a group who were more obviously different and other.

Wasn't that exactly what Sophie said in her Legislature speech? 

I knew Portia would react as she did because she was always pushing Philo to fit into her fantasy rather than accepting the reality of him. I admire the writers for planting those red flags on purpose.

This is an amazing role for Orlando Bloom.

I don't fully understand Piety's game plan. I get that she's trying to consolidate her proxy power through her husband and son, but I don't get her actual aims. Similarly, I get that Sophie's trying to gain power through taking over her father's supporters, but I don't get how Sophie intends to pump fake them to actually supporting her own aims. Which presumably do not include hostile anti-fae legislature.

Agreus and Imogen are turning out to be surprisingly cute together. But the revelation that half-bloods often don't survive raises a lot of questions to me about the viability of fae-human love matches.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

 I get that Sophie's trying to gain power through taking over her father's supporters, but I don't get how Sophie intends to pump fake them to actually supporting her own aims. Which presumably do not include hostile anti-fae legislature.

I'm not sure she has any of her own aims, other than to gain power (and keep it).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe it would have been better if Philo's guardians never told him the truth about himself; he obviously was too young to have any memory of it. They could have made up some story about his scars; he would have believed them.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/1/2019 at 3:04 PM, Tyro49 said:

Maybe it would have been better if Philo's guardians never told him the truth about himself; he obviously was too young to have any memory of it. They could have made up some story about his scars; he would have believed them.

From what we’ve been told as background, it seems deeper medical examinations would reveal that he was half fae. The headmaster told him never to give blood and to stay way from doctors. I think it would’ve been worse for him to be “found out” accidentally through a medical exam or something and be subjected to attack or arrest for trying to “pass” as human. 

I think it’s the right thing that they told him so he could better protect himself from people who would want to hurt him for being half fae. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size