Type keyword(s) to search

A Very Brady Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I noticed that Maureen seemed the most jazzed about the whole thing. She was pantomiming marching along with the marching band while the rest of them just clapped. Eve looked like she would rather have been anywhere else, frankly. Maureen and Barry were also good sports about singing old Brady Kids "hits."

• Love 6

I will give Eve a lot of credit this go around. She was totally into the renovation & looked happy to be apart of it.  She even sat next to Maureen, didn’t recoil and she made lots of eye contact. That’s a win-win in my book. LOL!!!!! She has gotten a bad rap over the years (I’m guilty of it) but I think she was happy and wanted to be apart of it. Granted, they were paid but overall I think they were all happy to be doing it together. 

• Love 11

My favorite part of Greg's new attic/basement room? The plush Raquel the Goat!! I think I loved it almost as much as Barry did. 

On the sentimental side, I teared up with Maureen as Florence Henderson was remembered. I know the two were extremely close and had been for years, and Flo had been in the audience of DWTS as Mo competed just three days before her passing on Thanksgiving 2016. I also love that Flo's real-life daughter had a hand in picking out "Carol's" outfits for the bedroom closet - as well as donating the heart paperweight for the vanity.

As fun as it was watching the reactions of the "Brady Kids", it was just as touching to see the reaction of real life relatives - Sherwood Schwartz's kids Hope and Lloyd (who both worked on the show), Florence Henderson's daughter (who also guested on the show a couple of times), son and granddaughter, and Susan Olsen's son. I have no doubt whatsoever that Sherwood Schwartz would have loved this project. 

The fact that some details may be off by a little bit doesn't bother me. It's obvious that this project really was a labor of love for all involved. Technically, would the house qualify for historic landmark status?

• Love 18
10 hours ago, Frost said:

I was disappointed by the last episode.  Yes, the point of the show was the re-do the house so the interior matched the sets, but I assumed the house would be livable and 'practical' as well. 

I don't expect anyone is going to be living there on a regular basis for a long while.  And if they did, they'd be putting their own footprint on it, they wouldn't be leaving it in pristine Brady shape.  I think it's as livable and practical as it needs to be under the circumstances.

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The difference is that the Munster house wasn't a real house, it was a facade on the Universal back lot. 

True, but that doesn't mean they couldn't build it.  Probably easier than repurposing a house that didn't match inside, like the Brady house.  I feel like the Munsters house is one of the more iconic houses from TV history.

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What's so odd is how wrong a choice it was. You can clearly see that only the left side has an upper floor from the front view of the house yet the studio set placed the upstairs on the right side of the house. It's like they couldn't have picked a house more backwards.

That Mr. Brady was a genius architect, all right.  🙂

11 hours ago, alexa said:

This has definitely been a favorite HGTV series for me.  

This has been one of my favorite TV shows of the year, period.

• Love 10

I don't think it's been mentioned (I did a quick read through of the posts on my commute), but there is a graphic designer on YouTube who creates computer generated walk-throughs of classic movie and television homes. Her rendition of what the Brady house would look like if the outside matched the floor plan was amusing. Marina Coates--Mockingbird Lane

Edited by MarvelAnne
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

I did think they cut some corner's on Greg's attic.  Not that I'm complaining, but if it had been a more well known, iconic room, I think they would have put a little more work into it.  They probably would have dug a hole to make it at least appear that there was a staircase coming up.  And they probably wouldn't have just hung a light box on the wall and called it a window.  They might have tried to put a picture of a tree in it that was a little closer looking to the "painted tree" that was in the original window.

I know they were working with some limitations though, and I'm sure Greg's attic room was pretty low on the priority list.  Like I said, I'm not complaining, but if it was one of the more well known rooms I'm sure there would have been a more "we HAVE to get this right" attitude.

I think they could have done without Greg's attic bedroom. Overall, it was a neat show and they did a great job and not changing the façade of the house. Personally, I wish they could have built the garage instead of Greg's room. I think I read that the original Brady Bunch used the left side driveway which was really the driveway of the home next door for the exterior shots. The actual driveway for the "Brady" house was on the right. I guess it was easier to shoot or looked better on camera.

• Love 1

This was a FANTASTIC trip down memory lane. And I won't lie, I shed some tears when Maureen got emotional when she said she still missed Florence.

And yay! If not "Sunshine Day" from the original show, at least I got to hear them sing it again. 

Now I can't wait for the episode with Raquel! It's coming soon. Maybe this Sunday. If not, then definitely next Sunday.

• Love 6

Even as a child watching this Cindy's lamentation on being the last to take over the attic made no sense to me because the entire point of the attic bedroom was because Greg/Marcia wanted privacy from their youngersiblings, and by the time Jan got the attic Cindy would have her own room.

Growing up, I was the 3rd of 4 kids. We lived in a large 3 story house, with a partially finished attic...meaning it had walls. No heat, except for a baseboard space heater. My older brother used it, then my sister moved up there when older brother joined the army. 

The room was unbearably hot in summer, and freezing in the winter. And we couldn't wait to take it over when our turn came. When I left, my younger brother moved up there, even though he had a perfectly fine bedroom on the second floor. 

The space heater was somewhat problematic. My dad had a radial-arm saw in the basement in his workshop. He needed to make sure the space heater wasn't running when he turned on the saw because it would blow the main fuse for the entire house. My parents had installed a second phone line for up there at some point, because of us kids tying up the house phone. So he could call if needed. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 8:29 PM, Shermie said:

Such an interesting concept - to recreate an entire house base on a studio set. I can't think of many other TV houses that are so iconic and recognizable that they could do this. Maybe old timey stuff, like the Waltons or Little House on the Prairie. 

I could never watch Little House on the Prairie because I was horrified by the idea that people actually did live like that through a Minnesota winter. In addition to drafty walls and only a central fireplace for heat, they had to make trips to the outhouse in 40 below weather and six feet of snow. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I could never watch Little House on the Prairie because I was horrified by the idea that people actually did live like that through a Minnesota winter. In addition to drafty walls and only a central fireplace for heat, they had to make trips to the outhouse in 40 below weather and six feet of snow. 

You should certainly skip reading The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder about their time in SD.... that winter is just crazy terrible.  And the real story was even worse than what she described in the book (they had a few extra people in the house that she never put into the fiction book).  I love the book, and all of her books, but I find it fascinating how they all survived on so little food, being so cold, etc, etc.  

• Love 8

I will give Eve a lot of credit this go around. She was totally into the renovation & looked happy to be apart of it.  She even sat next to Maureen, didn’t recoil and she made lots of eye contact. That’s a win-win in my book. LOL!!!!!

Personally I never saw much enthusiasm on Eve's part. She agreed to do it and no doubt got paid enough money to entice her into agreeing to do it, so she went through the motions with a smile but it never looked like she was that into it. She played nice about it, and that's about the best I can say. She did appear with the rest of them on the Colbert show but who knows if that was part of the agreement.

I think they could have done without Greg's attic bedroom.

Probably but they had an extra room in the house so they probably decided they needed to do something with it.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 11:28 PM, LexieLily said:

Thank you. I think there is an Episode 6 as well but it's only the generic show description, so no idea what it's about. Aren't they finished with all the rooms/spaces?

There is a behind-the-scenes episode scheduled for next week.  IDK what week 6 is supposed to be.

• Useful 1
On 9/9/2019 at 11:42 PM, ByaNose said:

I watched the first few minutes & DVR’d the rest. So many people texted me because they know I’m a Brady Bunch geek. I’m 55 & watched it in the original run. I’ve seen every episode at least 100 times. I heard they were on Today Show this morning. Andy Cohen was singing with them on Instagram. Not shockingly Eve wanted no part of it. She stood in the back with Chris (who can’t sing) and, just stood there. She is such a stick in the mud.

I truly loved the Brady Bunch as a kid and loved that my kids loved it in reruns. My favorite was Jan, so it was always sad to me that she seemed to hate her association with TBB. Even during this show, it was more like she went through the motions but only because she had to, not because she really wanted to. And those ugly silver shoes? Don't get me started...

On 9/10/2019 at 12:21 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

Maureen seems like a lot of fun. 

I lost a lot of respect for her when I read she refused to be part of this unless she was paid 2 or 3 times what the others were. She was definitely enjoying the attention.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:31 PM, ByaNose said:

I think Fake Jan was working on The Partridge Family House. LOL!!!!!!

Have you seen a photo of fake Jan? Talk about not aging well!

5 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I could never watch Little House on the Prairie because I was horrified by the idea that people actually did live like that through a Minnesota winter. In addition to drafty walls and only a central fireplace for heat, they had to make trips to the outhouse in 40 below weather and six feet of snow

I was horrified by the thought of Ma and Pa having tender times 4 feet from Laura, Mary, and the other children. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, sunshine23 said:

My favorite was Jan, so it was always sad to me that she seemed to hate her association with TBB. Even during this show, it was more like she went through the motions but only because she had to, not because she really wanted to.

I don't know, I thought she seemed to enjoy it.  She painted all those pictures to hang on the walls of several of those rooms (the girls bedroom and the family room come to mind).  I thought she did a pretty good job of reproducing what was in the originals, from what we saw.  So just taking that into account, she probably put more into the house than most of the cast did.  It could be that she just wanted to use her art, but still.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't know, I thought she seemed to enjoy it.  She painted all those pictures to hang on the walls of several of those rooms (the girls bedroom and the family room come to mind).  I thought she did a pretty good job of reproducing what was in the originals, from what we saw.  So just taking that into account, she probably put more into the house than most of the cast did.  It could be that she just wanted to use her art, but still.

In the interest of full disclosure, I missed the 2nd episode so I'll have to go back and watch.

13 hours ago, sunshine23 said:

I lost a lot of respect for her when I read she refused to be part of this unless she was paid 2 or 3 times what the others were. She was definitely enjoying the attention.

Where did you see that?

The attic bedroom always bugged me because it was a retcon from an earlier season when either Greg or Marcia expressed an interest in using the attic, and Carol replied it would only work if they were three feet tall. Then lo and behold in Season 5, suddenly the attic is big enough for it to be a functional bedroom.

Continuity wasn't really this show's best friend. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Where did you see that?

It was way before the show was on, so I don't remember which website it was. Might've been CDAN. I've also read that since she was the fantasy of adolescent boys during the day, she was the biggest draw and when they did the reunion, revival shows/movies, TPTB wanted her badly enough they were willing to pay more. That's on them though not Maureen.

Update; I found it. Here's the link.

https://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2019/08/blind-items-revealed-2_4.html

Edited by sunshine23
add info
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, sunshine23 said:

In the interest of full disclosure, I missed the 2nd episode so I'll have to go back and watch.

Just to be clear, they never showed her actually painting.  They just mentioned that she had painted the pictures that were on the walls.  IIRC she signed the one that was in the girls bedroom "JB" for Jan Brady lol.

This made me curious, so I Googled "Eve Plumb paintings".  I'm no art critic, but I think she paints pretty well.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, iMonrey said:

That's what makes it so impressive they somehow managed to make this work. Crazy . . . but impressive.

That pretty much sums it up. I've described my reaction to this mini series as alternating between "this is completely insane" and "this is totally awesome."

On 10/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, catlover79 said:

My favorite part of Greg's new attic/basement room? The plush Raquel the Goat!! I think I loved it almost as much as Barry did. 

That was adorable and wonderful. 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, ByaNose said:

I think they could have done without Greg's attic bedroom. Overall, it was a neat show and they did a great job and not changing the façade of the house. Personally, I wish they could have built the garage instead of Greg's room.

I agree. I can think of so many iconic moments in the garage, but very few in Greg's room. Gararge moments from memory: Jan ruining the photograph, all the Driscol's boxes, An epic game of ping-pong, singing and dancing 

On 10/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, iMonrey said:

Continuity wasn't really this show's best friend. 

On the other hand, that's true of most TV shows pre 1990s/2000s. 

• Love 2
On 10/2/2019 at 7:21 PM, sunshine23 said:

I lost a lot of respect for her when I read she refused to be part of this unless she was paid 2 or 3 times what the others were.

Maybe her agent was just a better negotiator than the others?

On 10/2/2019 at 3:13 PM, alexa said:

You should certainly skip reading The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder about their time in SD.... that winter is just crazy terrible.  And the real story was even worse than what she described in the book (they had a few extra people in the house that she never put into the fiction book).  I love the book, and all of her books, but I find it fascinating how they all survived on so little food, being so cold, etc, etc.  

Wow, sounds kind of like the Donner party.  I've never read the Little House books, you make me want to read that one.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2019 at 8:27 PM, Homily said:

To me they all look good for their ages. Maybe not their ages for 60ish aged people in Hollywood I guess but for regular people?  Pretty normal.

I think Maureen looks the best. 

I loved this HGTV special. I’m 55 and was a huge Brady Bunch fan. I read Barry and Maureen’s books. 

My husband was cracking up watching how excited I was watching this. I wish they had shown more clips from the later seasons. I remember coveting Marcia and Jan’s beautiful long blonde hair. I wanted to BE Marcia. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Sweet-tea said:

I wanted to BE Marcia. 

Looking back at old photos of myself I actually looked a bit like Marcia - well long blond hair parted in the middle and cuter than I realized at the time!!  Sadly I have not aged quite as well.  

• Love 1

Marcia & Jan in Season 5 were goddesses. I’m a about 5 years younger but back then I thought they were in their 20’s. They were so mature. It wasn’t till many years later when I had read they were only 18 & 16. Which is funny now because girls really push the envelope in what they wear to appear older and sexier. Whereas during that time they had long straight hair and were all covered up. LOL!!!!

EC00B6F7-837C-4A29-99AE-334E6ADF7F67.jpeg

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 11

This show made me feel nostalgic so I watched an old Brady Bunch episode on Amazon Prime. God, was it awful. It was an early Season 1 episode where the whole family went camping. The kids' dialogue was just cringe-worthy. So was Alice. She was really out of place, like she'd been dropped in from some other sitcom. Yikes.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This show made me feel nostalgic so I watched an old Brady Bunch episode on Amazon Prime. God, was it awful. It was an early Season 1 episode where the whole family went camping. The kids' dialogue was just cringe-worthy. So was Alice. She was really out of place, like she'd been dropped in from some other sitcom. Yikes.  

I’ve always said that Seasons 2-4 are the best. Season 1 they are so young & it’s cringe worthy. Then Season 5 they were getting older & then there’s cousin Oliver. LOL!!!

• Love 1

I know money wasn't an issue for this project, but I would love to know how much it cost and to see the breakdown. For example:

How much it cost to do each room?

How much was demolition/construction?

How much were the furnishings?

• Love 2

I know we talked about the door earlier in this thread.  They showed the old door up close on the episode last night, and the old door was not blue, it was brown.  So did we ever figure out why they used blue on the new version?  

Even though there wasn't a lot new in last night's episode, I enjoyed some of the interviews and extra stuff.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I know we talked about the door earlier in this thread.  They showed the old door up close on the episode last night, and the old door was not blue, it was brown.  So did we ever figure out why they used blue on the new version?  

Even though there wasn't a lot new in last night's episode, I enjoyed some of the interviews and extra stuff.

That is sooo weird. Because I swore, on my teevee, it looked blue on the outside and green on the inside!

I would have just preferred last night and even next week to just be interviews with the cast, and rehashing of the demo that got left on the cutting room floor, to remain there. Though I did like the extra scenes of Eve going over more of the memorabilia and that story about Robert Reed.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m not watching the behind the scenes episodes. They are just milking what was a fun, nostalgic premise.

Well, they DID explain Alice's bathroom! She HAS ONE!! RIGHT NEXT TO HER BEDROOM!

Because we never saw one on the show, it wasn't important enough to include in the episodes, but they addressed it, here. They basically winged it and created one that had a 70's feel and would go well with Alice's bedroom. I did like that Eve took the original wallpaper that was under a layer of newer, tackier wallpaper, and framed swatches (unicorn wallpaper!) of it as a homage to the original decor of the home. 

They also showed extended footage of the "Brady Kids" exploring the home before demo, and Eve rooting through the memorabilia her mom kept in a friend's garage. 

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That is sooo weird. Because I swore, on my teevee, it looked blue on the outside and green on the inside!

I would have just preferred last night and even next week to just be interviews with the cast, and rehashing of the demo that got left on the cutting room floor, to remain there. Though I did like the extra scenes of Eve going over more of the memorabilia and that story about Robert Reed.

Weird.  Okay then....totally brown on my footage.  lol!  (but at the very least it is nothing like the bright blue used in the new version, whatever color it really was)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Hmm, this last one felt thrown together at the last minute, which wouldn't surprise me. It's possible this was only planned as a four-episode event and after they saw the ratings they tried to stretch it. I agree there could have been a lot more interview stuff and insider stuff and instead what we got was a lot of rehash.

One thing I've noticed is that they have deliberately avoided showing the updated blueprint after the renovation, except for one very brief glimpse that I can recall. And I think that's because the new layout is horribly impractical and odd. They have basically increased the footprint of the house 100% by building out behind the right side of the house to make room for the kitchen, family room and upstairs bedrooms. That's what happens when you try to turn a TV set into a real house I guess. 

I can't imagine anyone who could afford to buy that house would want to live there. I mean, I'm sure there are lots of avid Brady Bunch fans who'd jump at the chance but when you're talking about people who could actually afford to buy it, you're talking a lot less people.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Well, they DID explain Alice's bathroom! She HAS ONE!! RIGHT NEXT TO HER BEDROOM!

However, it did make me realize that they left out the laundry room which we did see in a couple of episodes.

• Love 3

For anyone wondering about the quick series, but yet a few add on episodes I am pretty sure the reason is this:  HGTV is terrible about finishing out special series like this (unless they are super successful).  So my guess is that they rushed this one, just in case, then it became popular, thus they are adding on episodes.

In the past when they have had the short series of this type, what they would do is start it with the intention of showing all 6 episodes or whatever, then halfway through the series the show disappears from primetime, and they move it to some nondescript time without telling anyone.  So you miss the rest of the series if you don't miraculously find it on their schedule.  There was a Jennie Garth show they did this to, and some other similar series--they were meant to be short in nature anyway, so who knows why they have to advertise a show and then hide it.  

• Useful 1

Saw last night's episode.. Oh my god.,. they brought in Wally and Philip!! 😮

I didn't even know who they were until they mentioned them. They got old. 

I think there is one more episode but I admit, I hope that is the end. That was fun. 

• Useful 1
On 10/8/2019 at 12:39 AM, LittleIggy said:

I’m not watching the behind the scenes episodes. They are just milking what was a fun, nostalgic premise.

I watched it, thought it was enjoyable, and am looking forward to the episode next week.  They touched more on Eve Plumb's artistic bent also.  Like iMonrey said, they probably saw the show was a hit and quickly put together a few extra episodes.

On 10/8/2019 at 3:04 AM, Sarah 103 said:

I know money wasn't an issue for this project, but I would love to know how much it cost and to see the breakdown. For example:

Yeah, the budget is usually a part of these HGTV house renovation episodes.  It would be interesting to see here.

By the way, the set I've always wanted to have in my house (if I had the space) would be the Star Trek original series bridge.  I've heard of people who have actually built one in their garage lol.

20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can't imagine anyone who could afford to buy that house would want to live there.

I don't even think people should live there.  They would completely destroy the Brady feel to the house.  No one is going to watch that old console TV set, they'll want to put in a modern widescreen TV, and a computer, etc. etc.  It can only serve as a museum or as a house that they give tours in at certain times of the year.  It's going to cost money to maintain it, so it's interesting to see what they do with it.  If they're not going to use it, they might as well just tear it down, but that seems like a waste.  

Even giving tours would be tricky.  If someone bumps into the horse and knocks it on the floor and shatters it, then they'd have to replace it all over again.  They could cordon off sensitive areas with velvet ropes, but that kind of spoils the effect.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:30 PM, iMonrey said:

Personally I never saw much enthusiasm on Eve's part. She agreed to do it and no doubt got paid enough money to entice her into agreeing to do it, so she went through the motions with a smile but it never looked like she was that into it.

I don't think she needs the money.   Remember this story?

I think she did want to be a part of this Brady experience.

Edited by Josette
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Josette said:

Good for her, that is awesome!  I think she is just more reserved, thus her personality comes of differently than some of the others, but I don't doubt for a moment that she is loving this.  People tend to have a hard time understanding less social people, and sometimes attribute things to them that are not necessarily true of how they feel, etc. 

Edited by alexa
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Josette said:

Could be the last go round, so might as well enjoy it.  When she was younger, I think she resented being typecast and tried to break away from it.  But when you get older, you tend to mellow out on these things and just learn to appreciate the blessings you've had in life (even if there might be a downside to them).  Plus now with Robert, Florence, and Alice gone, it gives you perspective.  There might not be a next time.

That article was kind of confusing.  The property is 850 square feet, but she was selling it with plans to expand it to 3500 square feet?  Does that mean the price includes all the alterations or does it just come with some blueprints and you have to change it yourself?  Seems odd.  

I think on the last episode they mentioned how Susan Olsen (I think) had bought a house when she was eight.  I didn't even know a kid could own or buy a house.

All this talk made me curious about their net worths, so this is what a Google search revealed.  I hear such estimates aren't very reliable though.  Makes sense that Christopher Knight is at the top, he had another run at celebrity about 15 years ago with Surreal Life and My Fair Brady with Adrienne Curry:

Christopher Knight:  $10 million

Eve Plumb:  $5 million

Maureen McCormick:  $5 million

The other three are listed as $2 million.

• Love 2

However, it did make me realize that they left out the laundry room which we did see in a couple of episodes.

It wasn't consistent in the original show, though. In that clip they showed where Bobby flooded the laundry room, the room was HUGE. Yet in the episodes where they show Alice's bedroom you can see the washer and dryer right outside her bedroom door in what appears to be a hallway.

Could be the last go round, so might as well enjoy it.  When she was younger, I think she resented being typecast and tried to break away from it.  But when you get older, you tend to mellow out on these things and just learn to appreciate the blessings you've had in life (even if there might be a downside to them).  Plus now with Robert, Florence, and Alice gone, it gives you perspective.  There might not be a next time.

Well, that's true enough. My take on it is based on the fact that out of all of them, Eve seemed the most reluctant to participate in post-Brady stuff, based on interviews I've seen and the "E-Hollywood True Story" about the show. She has at times passed on Brady projects the others were willing to do. There's also the fact that back in the first episode, the Property Brothers described how four of the original six kids met initially to discuss the project, which leads me to believe there were initially two hold-outs.