Type keyword(s) to search

A Very Brady Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, izabella said:

Wow.  The girls never saw their dad!  No weekend visitation or anything. 

That was actually pretty common pre-1970s. A lot of fathers didn't just divorce their wives, but divorced their entire families. I had friends whose parents divorced, and they never saw their biological fathers more than once or twice in their lives. Their step-fathers became their fathers. Although not ideal by today's standards, it did eliminate all the co-parenting issues we have today.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Florence Henderson said she always thought she was a widow until the first Brady movie came out, and then they tried to make her missing husband the professor on Gilligan's Island.

No, it was the second Brady movie where we learned that. And Higgins from Magnum, P.I.! The first movie was about how their neighbors wanted them to sell the house and asshole Ditmeyer.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

That was actually pretty common pre-1970s. A lot of fathers didn't just divorce their wives, but divorced their entire families. I had friends whose parents divorced, and they never saw their biological fathers more than once or twice in their lives. Their step-fathers became their fathers. Although not ideal by today's standards, it did eliminate all the co-parenting issues we have today.

My parents divorced in 1974 when I was 5 & like you said, my dad basically divorced me too. I'm his only child & yet I only saw him a handful of times total & only after I turned 16. He was gone again before I turned 17 & never saw him again.  Never paid any child support or anything either.  It was considered "normal" in those days. 

• Love 2

I just watched the Christmas episode from Season 1...a good one to see the front door since Mike opened both sides to get the tree in! (It was funny because the boys were trying to drag that huge tree through the single door....and then Mike flipped the little locks and opened the second side!) At first I thought the door was black but then when Mike stood by it, I could see it  was dark blue. So I guess they were true to the show!

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
On 9/20/2019 at 1:57 PM, iMonrey said:

Is it possible it just looked brown on pre-HD TV? Maybe some weird shade of dark blue that read as brown on old film? It does seem odd for them to make such a dramatic change considering the painstaking effort to reproduce the house down to the last detail.

1968 was the last year that it was really acceptable to film TV shows in black & white. However, we still had a black & white TV throughout the entire run of this show and at least another five years afterwards. They could have told me the front door was neon chartreuse, and I wouldn't have known otherwise. It's actually really weird to re-watch shows from my childhood in color now, because I only remember having seen them in black & white. I'd never realized how pink the girls' bedroom was, or that the kitchen was orange and the refrigerator was avocado green.

• Love 8
On 9/18/2019 at 7:24 PM, Homily said:

Mike was an architect and if memory serves he designed and built the house (not sure why I think that though - was this ever referenced on the show?) anyway I didn't find their house any more implausible for them to afford than I did the idea that a family with one income and a SAHM could afford live in help ☺️

I think Alice got free room and board in lieu of pay. Since she was always on a diet and never sat down at the table with them, it wouldn't have cost much to feed her. She wore the same uniform every day, so they wouldn't have needed to provide her with a clothing allowance. She didn't drive, so they wouldn't have needed to provide her with a vehicle or car maintenance allowance. Other than renovate the laundry room to give her a bedroom, having her live with them probably didn't change their budget much. Mike might even have claimed her as a dependent on his tax return. He may even have added her to his family's health insurance plan.

• LOL 8

Just watched several episodes today from Season 5. Joe Namath & Meslissa Sue Anderson in the houzze. Anyway, the front door no near blue in Season 5 then it was in Season 1. It’s either we have bad eyes or pre high def makes it hard for the door not to look black or brown. There’s no way in hell that door was blue. Rant over!

48 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I think Alice got free room and board in lieu of pay.

I  don't think so.  She wears a uniform for one thing but mainly I think she was Mr Brady's housekeeper after his wife died (possibly even before but since they never really talk about anything that happens before Carol and Mike get married who knows!).  Anyway I certainly always had the impression Alice was a paid employee - she even references being friends with other housekeepers/maids (e.g. the episode with Desi Arnez Jr.).  No  doubt she works for less than she might otherwise since room and board are included -- on that subject it always bothered me that Alice never ate with the family, even on the camping trip to the Grand Canyon she is sitting off on her lonesome eating her dinner.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Homily said:

I  don't think so.  She wears a uniform for one thing but mainly I think she was Mr Brady's housekeeper after his wife died (possibly even before but since they never really talk about anything that happens before Carol and Mike get married who knows!).  Anyway I certainly always had the impression Alice was a paid employee - she even references being friends with other housekeepers/maids (e.g. the episode with Desi Arnez Jr.).  No  doubt she works for less than she might otherwise since room and board are included -- on that subject it always bothered me that Alice never ate with the family, even on the camping trip to the Grand Canyon she is sitting off on her lonesome eating her dinner.  

Alice was there I think when the first Mrs. Brady was around. In the first season, the boys kept turning to Alice instead of Carol, so she made up some excuse to leave.

And yes, she also knew other maids-remember Kay? She took over when Alice quit because the kids were all being snotty brats and giving her the cold shoulder because Alice wouldn’t lie to Carol.

• Love 4

Mike is a widower, that's clear from the scene in the pilot when Mike is talking to Bobby about the picture of his first wife/Bobby's mother that is no longer in the boys' room. We never found out what happened to Carol's first husband. Sherwood Schwartz wanted the character to be a divorcee but the network executives said no. The same thing happened with The Partridge Family and Mary Tyler Moore. The show's creators wanted the female lead to be a divorcee and the network executives said no. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Just watched several episodes today from Season 5. Joe Namath & Meslissa Sue Anderson in the houzze. Anyway, the front door no near blue in Season 5 then it was in Season 1. It’s either we have bad eyes or pre high def makes it hard for the door not to look black or brown. There’s no way in hell that door was blue. Rant over!

I finally watched the first episode, and one of the clips (which definitely looked Season 1) had Mike coming through the right-hand door and it was definitely blue. Exterior shots, possibly not so much, but the one on-set was blue on the outside at that time.

And my jaw dropped at the living room they created, especially after spending all that money to buy the house and THEN having to lower the living room slab floor to make the staircase fit!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

We never found out what happened to Carol's first husband. Sherwood Schwartz wanted the character to be a divorcee but the network executives said no.

Right. And we have to believe what the synopsis says: That Carol, also a widow with three girls is marrying Mike. So both were widowed.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Right. And we have to believe what the synopsis says: That Carol, also a widow with three girls is marrying Mike. So both were widowed.

I was on a message board (possible TWOP but I don't remember for sure) anyway some people there were insisting Carol was divorced to the point where they were trying to find proof of that throughout the episodes.  To me lots of possible scenarios are probably floated before a series makes it on the air - and we all know that things can still evolve as the series progresses.  Insisting Carol was divorced because SS wanted her to be would be like insisting Mary on the Mary Tyler Moore Show was divorced even if it's clear  based on everything said on the show that she was single. 

• Love 5

Insisting Carol was divorced because SS wanted her to be would be like insisting Mary on the Mary Tyler Moore Show was divorced even if it's clear  based on everything said on the show that she was single. 

Not quite. It was explicit in the dialogue that Mary Richards had walked away from a broken engagement. We weren't left to wonder or interpret, they told us. That's not the case with Carol Brady. There is no dialogue anywhere in the show to explain what happened to the girls' father. So you are free to interpret it any way you wish but I tend to think it was a divorce. That was the stated intention of the show's creator, and the fact that it was never addressed speaks to the fact that while the network prevented it, they did not manage to force a widow scenario anywhere into the dialogue, so it remained unexplained. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think they did a great job with the kitchen, family room & backyard. Of course, the backyard was truncated but it still had the feel. The family room was spot on and was a heavily used set for the whole five years. The wall art was pretty exact. It’s crazy that the one chair survived from the original set. Paramount sure doesn’t get rid of stuff do they? LOL!!

Also, Alice's bedroom looked good but I don’t recall it being used much after Season 1. Maybe, during the locket episode she was in her bed but you didn’t really see the set IIRC.   

• Love 4

Tonight's episode was especially fun. As ugly as the Brady kitchen was, I've always had a soft spot for it. Why? I'm not exactly sure. It's just one of those instantly recognizable TV show sets. I think they got the colors just right and that refrigerator -- wow, what a find! The good thing is that once upon a time appliances were made to last and it's probably still in good working order. The pieces they found for the countertops -- the cookie jar, the blender and the toaster -- were perfect. The fish trivets on the wall were a nice touch too. I couldn't tell what was written on the chalkboard. Presumably not the cake recipe Alice was trying to reconstruct.

The family room was very well done, from the stereo to the artwork to the daybeds. It looked like Mike Lookinland got a little choked up looking at that room and I can understand why. They spent a lot of time on that particular part of the set and it must have been emotional to revisit a space where he spent so much of his childhood, now with a roof! It's not a wooden Pinocchio of a room anymore, it's a real room!

The backyard looked camera ready for a production of "Snow White" or a movie about the Pilgrims. The actors seemed to think that the turf used was a lot softer than the kind they had on the set.

They did a great job with Alice's room too. I loved that the family photos on her mirror were of the Brady kids. It would have been nice if a "ghost be gone" amulet could have been found.

This show has been such a blast.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The actors seemed to think that the turf used was a lot softer than the kind they had on the set.

Based on what I have read, the turf was hard. They often injured themselves, (just bad scrapes, so painful, but nothing too serious) on it. 

This show continues to make me alternate between "this is totally awesome" and "this is completely insane." 

If this becomes an Air BnB type situation, I would save up my money and stay there. I would go totally nuts with a photo-shoot. 

• Love 8

Another good episode. I honestly don't understand why I am enjoying this show so much when I barely watched The Brady Bunch and the show feels like first world desperation for entertainment. Maybe it is just nostalgia, but it is hella fun.

I think that they are doing a good job recreating the house. I liked Eve showing all the items she collected from the show in that garage.

It annoys me when the HGTV hosts refers to the actors as "the Bradys," but the actors seem okay with it. I honestly can't tell how genuine their reactions are and how much they are faking so kudos to them. I just hope that they getting a paid a lot.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Another good episode. I honestly don't understand why I am enjoying this show so much when I barely watched The Brady Bunch and the show feels like first world desperation for entertainment. Maybe it is just nostalgia, but it is hella fun.

I think that they are doing a good job recreating the house. I liked Eve showing all the items she collected from the show in that garage.

It annoys me when the HGTV hosts refers to the actors as "the Bradys," but the actors seem okay with it. I honestly can't tell how genuine their reactions are and how much they are faking so kudos to them. I just hope that they getting a paid a lot.

I don't think they mind being called the Brady's at all.  It isn't like they are just finishing the show and trying to move on--it is at the stage of their lives that they can appreciate being a part of something so big.  And I totally believe their reactions.  I think they are completely in awe at seeing a real house that looks like the set they spent so much time on.  I feel that way, and I am not even one of the actors!  lol.  That family room... wow... and kitchen... they did a great job.

4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Based on what I have read, the turf was hard. They often injured themselves, (just bad scrapes, so painful, but nothing too serious) on it. 

This show continues to make me alternate between "this is totally awesome" and "this is completely insane." 

If this becomes an Air BnB type situation, I would save up my money and stay there. I would go totally nuts with a photo-shoot. 

I am ready to move in!  lol.  I wouldn't change a thing (at least until the appliances stop working.... then maybe that.

• Love 6

Eve had some really good memorabilia. The pilot script with the old title (The Brady Brood) is gold as are the other ones.  It was very smart of Eve's parents to keep it all. I know a bunch (no pun intended) of the other kids have scripts and stuff, too. As much, as Eve has always tried to distance herself from the show I'm amazed that she kept everything and didn't burn everything in a rage. LOL!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Eve had some really good memorabilia. The pilot script with the old title is gold as are the other ones.  It was very smart of Eve's parents to keep it all. I know a bunch (no pun intended) of the other kids have scripts and stuff, too. As much, as Eve has always tried to distance herself from the show I'm amazed that she kept everything and didn't burn everything in a rage. LOL!!!!

I will have to go re-watch this part.  I didn't realize all of it was hers, and I wasn't paying close attention... I saw the script but that was it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Waterston Fan said:

I liked what they did in last night's episode. With them saying it has to be right, I want to be a smart ass and say, the day bed wasn't right. lol 

It was so cool. 

One of my favorite aspects of the show was... no Property Brothers.

Seriously, that kitchen was spot on. I'm impressed. I just wish the reveals weren't so rushed.

• Love 2

Help!  Am I going crazy?  Last week, I watched episode 2 on the HGTV website.  I'm pretty sure it was on Tuesday (the original aired Monday night).  Episode 1 was there as well, plus a fairly long "preview" of episode 3, and a lot of shorter "extras".  Now, I can't find any full episodes at all!  There are aftershows and photos, but I can't for the life of me find any full episodes.  Am I not searching right?  Did they take down/stop making available the full episodes?

It looks like they'll be re-airing ep3 this weekend, but what did I do last week that let me see ep2 online???

• Useful 1

Ha ha! But Stoner dude and his sister weren't much better.

I want to be a smart ass and say, the day bed wasn't right. lol 

The quilts weren't quite right. I don't imagine they were very comfortable, either. But I imagine they'd be comfy enough to rest on after spending all day trying to save Woodland Park.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

There have been a few things where the colors just aren't quite right. The girls' room wallpaper was much more subdued in the blue flowers than the original. The printed fabric for the quilts is another one. I don't know if they are dialing it down to it isn't so in-your-face or none of them have any color sense.

I was surprised Leann didn't try to bring some white in somewhere. And she sounded slightly less tranquilized than the usually does on her own show.

I do feel like they are rushing the show a bit. I mean, I didn't want them to drag out each episode per room but cramming four rooms into one episode was a bit much. Eve also seemed very uncomfortable during the initial destruction/looking-for-stuff part but she seemed to have mellowed toward the end.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 3

Another fun episode!  My husband didn't remember that the kitchen had a BBQ thingy in the kitchen.  I'm still amazed at how modern that kitchen was for the time. 

The family room looked great, too, but the plaid covers did look faded.

Everyone does look like they're having fun, even Eve.  She gave some great behind the scenes details, like how all the shiny stuff including the buttons on Alice's uniform had to be sprayed will dulling spray.  You can tell she's an introvert in real life, though. 

• Love 7

The orange and green in the kitchen is just so hella ugly I don't know how it could ever have been in style! I think it's amazing they were able to find actual an working stovetop and refrigerator that matched the set. I guess, theoretically, if you can find the right parts you can keep either working indefinitely. My parents had an avocado green fridge, but there wasn't anything else in the kitchen that color. And the counter tops sure as hell weren't orange.

The fish trivets on the wall were a nice touch too.

What's strange is they found the exact art but didn't place it the same way.

It looked to me that they got the plaid correct on the daybed quilts, but the colors were wrong. They looked faded next to photos of the originals.

I've noticed this elsewhere too. See the above argument about the blue front door, for example. But then I remember we are looking at a screen shot on someone's tablet of an old TV show set so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that the colors are actually closer to the original than we think. Certainly the Bradys themselves would know better than I.

Ha ha! But Stoner dude and his sister weren't much better.

I honestly don't know who any of these people are, except for the Property Brothers. The only other HGTV hosts I know are the Flip or Flop hosts and the Gaineses. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Help!  Am I going crazy?  Last week, I watched episode 2 on the HGTV website.  I'm pretty sure it was on Tuesday (the original aired Monday night).  Episode 1 was there as well, plus a fairly long "preview" of episode 3, and a lot of shorter "extras".  Now, I can't find any full episodes at all!  There are aftershows and photos, but I can't for the life of me find any full episodes.  Am I not searching right?  Did they take down/stop making available the full episodes?

It looks like they'll be re-airing ep3 this weekend, but what did I do last week that let me see ep2 online???

Aha!  Found my own answer.  I was searching everywhere on the link I'd saved, which went to the Brady-specific section of HGTV.  What you have to do is go to the main page (like HGTV dot com), then select "watch full seasons" at the top right.

So, never mind.

• Love 2

I think the daybeds pattern was pretty spot on but the material was more shiny. I'm sure it was made out of cheap material back in the day and it's hard to replicate. I think they were going for the look instead of the same exact material. After all, it was 50 years ago (really 51 years for pre-production). I agree with the cast that family room was probably used the most since it was closest to the sliders when the kids came home from school and such. Also, the kids were always planning and discussing things in that room.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Well, their open concept cult doesn't allow them to be in a kitchen that isn't in a big room with every other public part of the house. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

If HGTV does make this house something like an Air bnb, how in the world would they keep fans from pilfering all the treasures? I can definitely see someone taking that cute needle-point pillow that Ann B. Davis made for Eve. Cameras would have to be everywhere which would invade privacy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Eve had some really good memorabilia. The pilot script with the old title (The Brady Brood) is gold as are the other ones. 

I wonder if the name of the show changed because Bunch was easier to rhyme in the theme song than Brood.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I wouldn't mind having that family room in my house. The only change would be stopping the paneling halfway up the wall. 

I was a little surprised they didn't at least mention the pay phone in the family room. In fact, they didn't even show us the standard-issue Ma Bell phone in the family room/kitchen or the living room either.

• Love 1

Oh this was wonderful! Though I have to admit, the renovated backyard looks more fake than the set used during the original show! And it didn't totally match. Where's that little garden Carol was planting flowers in the Johnny Bravo episode? Right next to the patio?

And I believe Mike and Susan made out! I think it was in Growing Up Brady, that it was revealed during the season four premiere--when they were all in Hawaii, each got romanticy with the other: Barry and Maureen, Chris and Eve, and Mike and Susan.  I remember watching that movie where Barry and Maureen had a difficult time doing the who gets the attic scene because either they kept flubbing their lines or kept kissing. Or something. All I remember is that Michael Tucker of L.A. Law fame, played Sherwood Schwartz, and I think it was Daniel Hugh Kelly who played Robert Reed.

I LOVE that Eve's mom kept all those things from the show. Makes me more bitter my own mother threw away all of my stuff/mementos of my tween and teen years.

I don't think they renovated Mike and Carol's bedroom, did they? So that and the attic, which is of course going to be the basement, because, no second story in the house.

And I'm glad they didn't put a payphone in the family room because that was only for one episode.

• Love 1

I admit, I am cynical about most things these days, but when it comes to these people and cast? My inner child refuses to believe that they're not emotionally invested in seeing "their" house come to life. 

Sue me.

I don't think they're "acting" either. I think they've all made peace with their careers and how the show affected their careers. They're now at an age where they can look back with little to prove, and just remember the happy times and take in the adoration so many have for all of them. And they seem to be doing that with grace and good cheer.

But I keep coming back to what is it that fascinates so many about them. Myself included. I'm about "Cindy's" age and watched the show in its original run. I knew even then that the show was fluff and in many fundamental ways simply "bad." It was uncool to like the show then, as it was "uncool" to like the nearly contemporaneous music of ABBA. But time has a strange way of reassessing not just what's "cool," but what's worthy and meaningful.

I think the draw is family or in this case "family." A happy, cohesive, large, supportive "family" that so many long for or aspire to have. Indeed one here comprised of only unrelated actors who worked together long ago but nevertheless formed a strong bond that's clear for all to see after half a century. We all want them to continue to be together and happy, and kudos for the respect and reverence they've shown for the actors who are no longer with us. The creators of this show ("writers?") have packaged it to deliver emotional wish fulfillment like a precisely targeted cruise missile.  

Edited by ahpny
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Now I'm just wondering if they added any other bathrooms besides the Jack and Jill one. LOL. I really hope they did. LOL. I hope they at least fit a powder room in that little hallway behind the staircase.

In the made-for-TV Christmas movie, there was a bathroom behind the stairs across from Mike's den.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I believe Mike and Susan made out! I think it was in Growing Up Brady, that it was revealed during the season four premiere--when they were all in Hawaii, each got romantic with the other: Barry and Maureen, Chris and Eve, and Mike and Susan. 

Actually, Barry said when they were in Hawaii he took Maureen down to the beach at sundown and kissed her.  Even in that beautiful, romantic set-up, he felt like he was kissing his sister. It wasn't until he was interviewing her for his book that he found out it was her first kiss.

As for Mike and Susan, initially the older kids thought shoving them into the doghouse together was funny. They said they had absolutely know idea what they were supposed to do. However, they did eventually figured it out.

Also, at one point Robert Reed took all the kids on a cruise. On that vacation, Chris was pursuing Maureen.

11 hours ago, ahpny said:

Indeed one here comprised of only unrelated actors who worked together long ago but nevertheless formed a strong bond that's clear for all to see after half a century.

In fairness, it wasn't like the end of the original show ended their involvement with one another.  They kept reuniting for various Brady television series and movies throughout the 70s, 80s and early 90s, which probably helped keep them a lot closer than if the ending of the original show had been it for all of them. 

I liked that Eve keeps a storage area for all her Brady-related memorabilia, even if it felt like she and Lara's trip to New York was largely a time wasting exercise. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/24/2019 at 3:02 AM, Sarah 103 said:

They were talking about doing that.  I would be concerned about people stealing certain items, like the needlepoint "Love" pillow Ann B. Davis made for Eve Plumb, or whatever.  Some of those things are irreplaceable.  Maybe they would have security cameras installed (creepy), or maybe someone goes through the house before and after with a checklist.

If I ever stayed there, I'd definitely have pork chops and applesauce for supper.

Others have mentioned this before, but I'm surprised at how emotional this show makes me.  I mean it's just a silly (if beloved) TV show.  Yet it somehow represents childhood, an entire generation, and more I'm sure.  

I liked how one of the HGTV girls was in the back of the doghouse while "Bobby and Cindy" were making out lol.  The look on her face was priceless - kind of an embarrassed, bemused horror.

• Love 7

Serious, honest question for people who know more about cameras and television than I do. Is it possible the colors seem off because we are used to seeing it on some type of film stock (I know sitcoms were filmed with cameras, but I have no idea what medium the cameras used to record a show like this) from endless re-runs before HD, and now we are seeing it filmed in HD with cameras capturing a higher resolution (I hope this is the right terminology)?

To phrase it another way, is it possible that the colors look different because this is the first time most of us are seeing these objects/colors/paterns in HD? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

To phrase it another way, is it possible that the colors look different because this is the first time most of us are seeing these objects/colors/paterns in HD? 

I don't know anything about cameras, but I'm sure that can have an effect, and I'm sure the lighting makes a difference also.  

I thought the orange color for the kitchen laminate looked a little lighter than the old one, but it was close enough.  Could have been an illusion though.  I kept wondering what would happen if a Brady star would have made a terrible choice on a color that was clearly wrong?  They'd have to either put the wrong color in or make the embarrassing move of overruling a Brady.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

They were talking about doing that.  I would be concerned about people stealing certain items, like the needlepoint "Love" pillow Ann B. Davis made for Eve Plumb, or whatever.  Some of those things are irreplaceable.  Maybe they would have security cameras installed (creepy), or maybe someone goes through the house before and after with a checklist.

I presume if it was a situation where people were going to be regularly staying in the home, any items that were potentially easier to steal (like the pillow or Cindy's doll) are going to be removed from the house.

3 hours ago, rmontro said:

I kept wondering what would happen if a Brady star would have made a terrible choice on a color that was clearly wrong?  They'd have to either put the wrong color in or make the embarrassing move of overruling a Brady.

They probably would have just stopped filming, informed the person that the color they had chosen was incorrect, and reshot the scene with the person choosing the right color.      

• Love 4