Type keyword(s) to search

A Very Brady Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

This is so funny because I was thinking the same exact thing. She would have lost her mind not being able to put shiplap in the house. Ha.

And don't forget the barn door :-)

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, Mittengirl said:

The ones I recall were clear acrylic(?) purple-ish.

We had them. They were glass and ours were blue. I hated dusting those things lol.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I am really enjoying this show! I always wanted to have a bedroom like the Brady girls. As an adult when I bought my first home several years ago, I chose a very pale pink color for my room in the Brady girls' honor.

I'm glad that the designers didn't go with the hay fever wallpaper in the girls' room from the final season. The flowers from the first season are so iconic. I could see Marcia making her escape from the bedroom window to mail her essay about her dad to the newspaper for the Father of the Year contest.

Speaking of that, I couldn't tell, but I think one of the plaques on the wall of Mike's recreated den was the Father of the Year award. Or at least it looked like it. Barry's looked a bit sad to be in the recreated den. It's like he was thinking, "Bob should be here." Robert Reed was so good to those kids. He hated "The Brady Bunch," but he loved and mentored the children on the show.

The boys' room was perfect! I loved the detail of the "Keep Off" sign on Peter's top bunk.

That was a nice size bathroom, but I can see why the children went to war over it in the first season, and why the others were so angry when Marcia was hogging the bathroom after being cast as Juliet in the third season and when Greg decided he needed his own room once again in the fourth season. It always bothered me that Mike saw fit to accommodate his son, the man, when Greg wanted his own space, but he never saw fit to put in another bathroom. A half bath would have fit in where the linen closet was.

• Love 15
On 9/15/2019 at 8:43 PM, txhorns79 said:

Eh, I'm sure they all have moments when they just need a moment away from the Brady-mania.  I give her a break.  I was thinking that Florence would probably have done this show, but Bob Reed wouldn't have touched it with a thirty-foot pole.  Ann B. Davis may have done a one episode guest spot.  

Bob Reed did every spin-off (except possibly the cartoon) so I'm sure he'd have been there!  

• Love 8
Just now, princelina said:

Bob Reed did every spin-off (except possibly the cartoon) so I'm sure he'd have been there!  

From what I've read, he was showing up for the kids, and was in danger of being fired from both The Brady Bunch and The Bradys at the time they were cancelled due to his general attitude about the shows, and his behavior towards the production people.   

• Useful 1

It never occurred to me when watching the show originally, but now I notice that there are no windows in the living room. There is a sliding glass door in the dining room, which is open to the living room, but it really isn't very big. There is also some light coming in from the high windows in the entry way. It still seems like the living room is dark, and it would drive me crazy to not have windows to look out of in your main living room.

• Love 2

The ladder for the bunk beds look a little off to me. It was narrow up top and wider at the bottom. Maybe, the scale of the bunks (which they had a hard time finding) required the change. Don’t ask why I would think or know this. I just do. LOL!!!

• Useful 1

Mike's office was always my favorite room in the house, though the planter by the stairs is my favorite feature. 

Barry, Susan and Mike all seem like nice, fun people.  Karen and Susan snuggling on the bed reciting the old lines about pb&j sandwiches was hilarious!

So are the things from fans actually staying in the house for good, or are they there just for the filming?  The grapes and the curio cabinet I wouldn't give a fuck about, but no way would I give away that giant stuffed giraffe for good.

Hopefully the ratings hold.  I'm really enjoying this show.

• Love 7

Another fun episode! I enjoy seeing how they are trying to recreate the furnishings without resorting to making exact replicas. BTW, Barry is still looking good! 😏

47 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

The ladder for the bunk beds look a little off to me. It was narrow up top and wider at the bottom. Maybe, the scale of the bunks (which they had a hard time finding) required the change. Don’t ask why I would think or know this. I just do. LOL!!!

They had to have the bunks custom made, IIRC.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The ladder looked way off to me as well! So much so that I had to make a comparison picture to (over)analyze. 😂

Spoiler

90006B6C-D589-41B2-A9D7-D4B1EF02D701.thumb.jpeg.bb3bd46fe0918f1c937057e52dbc1afb.jpeg34B3B50F-F9CC-4EDD-A5AF-D2662EAC4D6E.thumb.jpeg.4a3757f4c3376c602ec9366046c06fee.jpeg

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I'm glad that the designers didn't go with the hay fever wallpaper in the girls' room from the final season. The flowers from the first season are so iconic.

The show said specifically that they want to recreate first season Brady Bunch house, the exception being Greg's room.

Though there was something cool about how the house changed here and there as time moved forward, like a real house.

I know it's a pipe dream, but man I want to see Jennifer Elise Cox and Christine Taylor (Movie Jan and Marcia, respectively) make a cameo. They should be there, damn it!

As for the younger generation thing, I'm 33 and I remember watching the Brady Bunch on Nick at Nite as well as TBS. Then the Brady Bunch movie came out when I was 9, and I managed to watch it a lot.

Not sure if really little kids are watching the Brady Bunch, though. Maybe they will if the show moves from Hulu to Netflix.

There is something really cool about seeing this happen, and the fact that the area had enough space to even make that 2,000 square foot addition possible. Sure as shit couldn't do this with the Tanner house.

My guess is that HGTV will rent this out as an AirBnB until they get their investment back, and then sell it. Honestly though, whoever is going to drop the kind of money that HGTV will be asking for is exactly the type of eccentric nutcase that will probably leave the house as it is.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

The ladder looked way off to me as well! So much so that I had to make a comparison picture to (over)analyze. 😂

Hide contents

90006B6C-D589-41B2-A9D7-D4B1EF02D701.thumb.jpeg.bb3bd46fe0918f1c937057e52dbc1afb.jpeg34B3B50F-F9CC-4EDD-A5AF-D2662EAC4D6E.thumb.jpeg.4a3757f4c3376c602ec9366046c06fee.jpeg

Thanks. They have the same amount of steps though. Maybe, the top bunk isn't as high or something. I can't figure it out.

• Useful 1
On 9/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, Homily said:

I'm just amazed that after 50 years (how the hell did that happen?) there is still so much interest in the Bradys.  Just curious - is this boomer nostalgia or have younger generations also gotten hooked on the Brady's through the magic of eternal reruns?

Gen X here and I'm hooked.

• Love 4

I think Barry, of all people, would know if Robert Reed would have involved himself on this show--and I believed him when he said that he would. I got misty-eyed when Barry said he could feel his presence in the new den. All the times he decided to get involved was due to the love he had for the kids, who he thought of as his kids. So I don't doubt he probably would have participated, if only to spend time with his kids.

I'm really enjoying the clips of the actual show they're inserting in between the work these guys are doing. And hey look! It's Rachel! She looks good too! And now I'm wondering if the Kitty doll in season one had a wig? Because the clip they showed of Cindy feeding her, the hair on that doll wasn't as bright and blonde as the one Joyce gave Susan. And the hair was smoother and longer. But I thought it was adorbs that she gave it to Susan to use for the house.

And DAMN if I didn't dream about this family last night after watching this.

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think Barry, of all people, would know if Robert Reed would have involved himself on this show--and I believed him when he said that he would. I got misty-eyed when Barry said he could feel his presence in the new den. All the times he decided to get involved was due to the love he had for the kids, who he thought of as his kids. So I don't doubt he probably would have participated, if only to spend time with his kids.

I'm really enjoying the clips of the actual show they're inserting in between the work these guys are doing. And hey look! It's Rachel! She looks good too! And now I'm wondering if the Kitty doll in season one had a wig? Because the clip they showed of Cindy feeding her, the hair on that doll wasn't as bright and blonde as the one Joyce gave Susan. And the hair was smoother and longer. But I thought it was adorbs that she gave it to Susan to use for the house.

And DAMN if I didn't dream about this family last night after watching this.

Plus my understanding is that he came around to appreciating the Brady show more as time went on (Robert Reed), and they were doing the post show specials (the later ones).  I equate him to Christopher Plummer, who apparently hated the whole Sound of Music situation at the time, because he was similar to Robert Reed in what kind of acting he wanted to do, and then later on he warmed up to the whole thing and what he was a part of.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, alexa said:

Plus my understanding is that he came around to appreciating the Brady show more as time went on (Robert Reed), and they were doing the post show specials (the later ones).  I equate him to Christopher Plummer, who apparently hated the whole Sound of Music situation at the time, because he was similar to Robert Reed in what kind of acting he wanted to do, and then later on he warmed up to the whole thing and what he was a part of.  

Seriously! He was even part of that ghastly variety show! And in the short-lived Family Ties spin-off Day by Day, which had an episode dedicated to being hooked on The Brady Bunch, Bob shows up as Mike and tells Christopher Daniel Barnes (who would later end up playing Greg in the movies) “All Brady men have perms!”😂😂😂😂 Barry was the only one who didn’t guest star-Bob, Florence, Christopher, and Mike did. Anne and Maureen did as well. “A Very Brady Episode”

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I want to see a floor plan of the completed house.  Mike's den looks enormous, even though it never seemed that big on the show.  I don't remember all those seating areas.  I know one of them is supposedly "behind the camera," but did they build it just because there was space?  If I thought much about it at all, I imagined Mike's drafting table was against the far wall of the den - which didn't exist because it was a set.

The mish mash of different brick and stone and rock in that house is bugging me more with every episode!  Wall colors and ugly décor are easy to change, but whoever buys that house is stuck with all that unmatched hardscaping.

I was a loyal viewer of The Brady Bunch but Cindy's doll Kitty never made an impression on me.  I was a Mrs Beasley girl all the way! 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Frost said:

I want to see a floor plan of the completed house.  Mike's den looks enormous, even though it never seemed that big on the show.  I don't remember all those seating areas.  I know one of them is supposedly "behind the camera," but did they build it just because there was space?  If I thought much about it at all, I imagined Mike's drafting table was against the far wall of the den - which didn't exist because it was a set.

Yes, that was one deviation they made--that since viewers never saw where the camera were positioned, filming the den, and the house did have that extra space, they went ahead and created a sitting area in there. And Barry said Bob would have liked that.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Frost said:

The mish mash of different brick and stone and rock in that house is bugging me more with every episode!  Wall colors and ugly décor are easy to change, but whoever buys that house is stuck with all that unmatched hardscaping.

I feel like whomever eventually buys the place is going to be a hardcore Brady fanatic to the point where they won't want to change anything (except perhaps to update the appliances). 

• Love 5

The cynic in me wonders how much the Brady Kids are being paid to do this series. But I'm enjoying the heck out of it. The fun part is seeing the "fourth wall" never shown on the TV show since it didn't actually exist. I also believe that Susan Olsen's enthusiasm for the project is probably the most genuine out of all of them, although I feel like Barry, Christopher and Maureen are by degrees genuinely into it somewhat themselves. Eve Plumb acts like she's only there for the paycheck and Mike Lookinland is a hard read. It's weird that he's the youngest of the three boys and now looks like the oldest.

Many years ago, I saw an interview with Eve Plumb. She mentioned that one of the main reasons she was cast to play Jan, was because the casting director/producers thought she bore a striking resemblance to Florence Henderson.

Well that's odd because the original Carol Brady was Joyce Bulifant, and Eve in particular was cast because of her resemblance to her

Or maybe it was how long the Brady's lived in syndication. That show benefited from the beginnings of the cable TV boom, as well. 

It's definitely a rerun thing for me. It aired constantly in an era where there were only a handful of shows in syndication so you had very little to choose from. One of those was The Brady Bunch. Gilligan's Island was another one you just couldn't get away from. Maybe Sherwood Schwartz just made his syndication rights really cheap. 

I was a loyal viewer of The Brady Bunch but Cindy's doll Kitty never made an impression on me.  I was a Mrs Beasley girl all the way!

You're not the only one. It seemed like Susan Olsen was hinting at the fact that Kitty was supposed to be a big product launch but apparently never took off like some TV show tie-ins. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It seemed like Susan Olsen was hinting at the fact that Kitty was supposed to be a big product launch but apparently never took off like some TV show tie-ins. 

She didn't hint at it; she actually said it when Joyce gave it to her, that Kitty was created or shown to launch that doll. But didn't say that it failed.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I also believe that Susan Olsen's enthusiasm for the project is probably the most genuine out of all of them, although I feel like Barry, Christopher and Maureen are by degrees genuinely into it somewhat themselves.

I wonder if that comes from this seeming like a good opportunity to rehab her image after getting fired from her radio show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

From what I've read, he was showing up for the kids, and was in danger of being fired from both The Brady Bunch and The Bradys at the time they were cancelled due to his general attitude about the shows, and his behavior towards the production people.   

He sort of was.  That's why he was not there for Greg's graduation (almost with orange hair).   

• Love 1
On 9/16/2019 at 12:08 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

I know that Chip and Joanna no longer do an HGTV show, but can you imagine them participating in this? Chip, I can see getting into the fun aspect of it, but would Joanna break out in a rash being required to work on something that wasn't going to be 100% WHITE, or varying shades of WHITE, off white, or dirty white? Those 70's color schemes would have made her bat shit crazy. Might have been fun to see the meltdown. 

You might still get to see a version of that. If you think Joanna is in love with all things white and off-white, Leeann Ford takes that love and turns the dial to 11. I can't wait to see if her head explodes next week because I think she and her brother are doing the kitchen which I don't think has a single white thing in it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It's definitely a rerun thing for me. It aired constantly in an era where there were only a handful of shows in syndication so you had very little to choose from. One of those was The Brady Bunch. Gilligan's Island was another one you just couldn't get away from. Maybe Sherwood Schwartz just made his syndication rights really cheap.

I'm not sure this is the right place to throw this out there, but I watched the original show (I was between Marcia & Jan's age).  My mother, who I didn't think paid the least bit of attention to tv, when she heard the theme song, said something along the lines of, oh, yes, I can tell this is from the same person who did Gilligan's Island.  It was years (or decades) but I finally understood what she was talking about.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

My mother, who I didn't think paid the least bit of attention to tv, when she heard the theme song, said something along the lines of, oh, yes, I can tell this is from the same person who did Gilligan's Island.

Schwartz was good with explanatory, yet catchy theme songs, so anyone could sit down and watch the show and know what was happening, regardless of whether they had ever seen it before.  He had a very-short lived show, It's About Time, with a similarly catchy, explanatory theme song. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Schwartz was good with explanatory, yet catchy theme songs, so anyone could sit down and watch the show and know what was happening, regardless of whether they had ever seen it before.  He had a very-short lived show, It's About Time, with a similarly catchy, explanatory theme song. 

It's about time, it's about space, it's about two something something in the strangest place...

Off to Google!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Frost said:

The HGTV website has a virtual tour of the house that is very interesting and might even have a floorplan. I skimmed through the site last week and don't remember what all I looked at.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

It's about time, it's about space, it's about two something something in the strangest place...

Off to Google!

Two men in the strangest place!

A couple of astronauts somehow manage to crash land in prehistoric times.  Luckily, all the cave people spoke English.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I wonder if that comes from this seeming like a good opportunity to rehab her image after getting fired from her radio show.

Huh.  What I know of celebrities (of any grade) comes by happenstance or my husband, so that incident was not something I was familiar with.  Generally, because I love animals, I tend to think of other animal-lovers such a her as sympathetic, generous, and inclusive.  Her rant certainly burst that bubble.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

A couple of astronauts somehow manage to crash land in prehistoric times.  Luckily, all the cave people spoke English.

I remember loving that show the first year it was on and then the second season it sucked.  I wasn't very old but old enough to be discriminating about silly TV shows I guess!

ETA:  Ah according to WIKI not two seasons, part way through the first year they switched gears and brought the astronauts and some of the cave people to modern times.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Homily said:

ETA:  I just googled the show and IMDB says there was only one season but I distinctly remember the second year the astronauts go back to earth and some of the cave people come with them.  Did I dream the whole thing?  

No, during the first season, the premise was changed from astronauts living in prehistoric times to the cave people returning to the mid-1960s future with the astronauts.  I think they even adjusted the theme song to acknowledge the story change. 

3 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I also believe that Susan Olsen's enthusiasm for the project is probably the most genuine out of all of them, although I feel like Barry, Christopher and Maureen are by degrees genuinely into it somewhat themselves.

I do wonder how much is just for the cameras, and how much is them actually caring?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

In elementary school it was "it's about time, it's about space, it's about time I slapped your face..."

Eve Plumb acts like she's only there for the paycheck 

This is probably accurate.  She did an interview where she said she never wanted to do the Brady Brides but they kept throwing money at her to change her mind so she finally figured why the hell not.

Mr Angeltoes (who is about a year older than Barry) says he doesn't understand why this renovation is a big deal or why it's even being done.  His exact words were,"America must be hard up for entertainment if they put this crap on TV."  I, on the other hand, fall in age between Eve and Mike Lookinland, and I would love to spend the night in this house.  

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

Mr Angeltoes (who is about a year older than Barry) says he doesn't understand why this renovation is a big deal or why it's even being done.  His exact words were,"America must be hard up for entertainment if they put this crap on TV." 

I say this (or similar) about most reality shows but for some reason I actually like this one.  Nostalgia for sure but also I just genuinely like the people involved and they seem to be having fun.  No faux drah-ma and made up cliffhangers.  I'm good with that!

• Love 12

I enjoyed the second episode and am still surprised by how much because I mentioned before that I wasn't the Brady Bunch fan and can barely remember any of the episodes. Usually don't like that mother/daughter team on their own show, but they were tolerable. 

I thought Susan and Mike shopping for drums and then getting the doll was moving as was Barry sitting at Mike's desk.

I hope that HGTV is paying for those items viewers donated or returning them to their owners after the show. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

Even if she doesn't look/seem particularly excited, I think one of the reasons that Eve agreed to do this was that she could bring her own artistic talents to the project. She has been an accomplished painter for years (and as revealed last night, even painted one of the pictures in the girls' room). To be fair, Eve just doesn't strike me as a very demonstrative person. She seems private and introverted, as are many other people. 

I misted over watching Barry working on Mike's den. It really seemed like a labor of love to him, and a way to honor the memory of Robert Reed. 

It will be fun to see the recreations of Carol and Mike's room, Alice's room, the kitchen, the family room, etc. I also think that if HGTV does decide to sell the house, it will be to a Brady fanatic who will keep everything as is.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

In elementary school it was "it's about time, it's about space, it's about time I slapped your face...

Did we go to the same school? 😛

I wonder if another reason Eve wanted to distance herself is because the writers made her character, Jan, so dumpy.  Glasses, fake boyfriend, etc.  I would not want to come back, either.  

Except for Peter and Greg, the Brady kids did not age well.  Marcia looks okay from a distance, but there was a close-up of her where I wondered what she did to piss off production.  

I think they failed on a lot of renovation elements.  The colored laminate panels had the wrong texture, the doors were the wrong color inside and out, foyer bricks wrong color, sofa fabric wrong color (should have been a yellowish background, not white).   I could have done better with the tchotchkes at New Life Thrift.   I feel like they half asses it with the ashtrays.  The exterior window they added was too small and I am aghast that the Property Brothers screwed that up so badly.  

Episode 2 -- another passel of design mistakes.  The girls' wallpaper pattern was too small, and it was obvious when they showed the side by sides.  It was only paper, how come they couldn't go back to astek and redo it?  I think the den would have been better without the extra area.  The higher window would have been fine.  Jasmine Roth (is that her name?) made a terrible choice.  And the doorway entrance to the den is way too narrow!  But it is interesting in Zaprudering all the past seasons to see how the props changed.  Artwork on the walls changed, phones changed location, so many things.  But one thing I can guarantee you, Mike never kept golf clubs in his office.

Haha, someone cut Kitty Karryall's hair, and no one said a word about it (at least, not that made the show reel).   

• Love 3
On 9/10/2019 at 2:41 PM, Homily said:

Once she outgrew the cute little kid phase I thought she became a middle aged woman really fast.  Possibly hard living but more likely just didn't get the lucky dip in the genetics department. 

I knew someone who went to high school with Susan. He said she was really beautiful back in the day.

• Love 3
On 9/11/2019 at 9:54 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

I read an interview with Barry a few years ago and he was quite charming and seems like a very joyful person.  Also, he likes cats so that immediately gets a thumbs up from me. 

I met him on a couple of occasions. He can be a really nice guy or a total jerk, depending on his mood.

Barry is 64, Maureen is 63, Christopher is 61 (62 this November), Eve is 61, Mike is 58 (59 this December) & Susan is 58. They were so close in age and it’s understandable how each set grouped up. I think Barry was playing younger because when Greg had his high school graduation in the final episode he was already 20. In general, they pretty much played their ages with a year or so shaved off their age for their characters. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Just Carol said:

Except for Peter and Greg, the Brady kids did not age well.  

I'm just amazed that all six of them are still alive. That can't be said for a lot of child stars on shows of that era: The Partridge Family, Nanny and the Professor, Happy Days, etc.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Just Carol said:

Except for Peter and Greg, the Brady kids did not age well.  Marcia looks okay from a distance, but there was a close-up of her where I wondered what she did to piss off production.  

To me they all look good for their ages. Maybe not their ages for 60ish aged people in Hollywood I guess but for regular people?  Pretty normal.

• Love 21

Here is an interesting picture from the UFO episode. Why I know this is really a shame. Anyway, it’s neat to see Florence, Ann, Chris & Mike watch Susan & Eve do their closeups on the other side of the kitchen table. There is a random guy in the back and script supervisor or director sitting at the table. Susan had mentioned how long it took to do the show since it was a single camera show. Three camera sitcoms are a lot easier. 

C01B01E8-5506-4B25-AC4B-B28BA67A2B08.jpeg

• Love 8

Also, Maureen & Eve worked together a lot. It’s the Brady 2 shot. I heard the 6 shot were hard to do. They had to squeeze in & contort their bodies for that shot. 

47AF3ACE-651E-45D0-B587-B784B6046D05.jpeg

B1B0F5ED-AC7F-4392-AB92-8D8A439B60FA.jpeg

1B80C68A-2077-47AF-A18A-4C90433AEDBA.jpeg

9E83BCCD-A8EA-4ADC-AEDE-DE50B54D64BF.jpeg

2B7E5190-E494-4F02-8E3C-4DCAD121616B.jpeg

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, MaKaM said:

I can't wait to see if her head explodes next week because I think she and her brother are doing the kitchen which I don't think has a single white thing in it.

Chalk on the chalkboard?!

cake1.jpg

Edited by QQQQ
  • LOL 9
6 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

Chalk on the chalkboard?!

cake1.jpg

I wonder where they’ll put the chalkboard. It moved around a a few times. An avocado refrigerator must have been a hard one to find. I remember thinking the ice maker on the door was so cool. I don’t think I had one until the 90’s. Were they a thing in the 70’s?  I don’t recall anyone having one growing up and I’m 55 now.

• Love 1