Type keyword(s) to search

A Very Brady Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I'm shocked.  I figured they would try to rent it out like an Air B&B.  

It sounds like they plan to keep it for a while according to a recent article.  They had originally mentioned selling it, but perhaps they want to make some money from it first....

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

On topic,

First, I never knew that the interior shots of the show were on a sound stage! I knew, of course that their backyard was not real grass, but astroturf, but the patio looked like a real patio, leading into the family room and kitchen!

I wonder if they'll also build a doghouse? Because even after Tiger was never seen again, that doghouse remained. I think.

In upcoming previews, they did show -- I'm just going to call them Bobby and Cindy -- inside the doghouse when they were working on the backyard.  So I think you're good.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

My parents built a "California ranch-style" house in 1955 for $10K. It had a galley kitchen open to the living room with a dining area in between. No vaulted ceiling, but huge window in the front, flat roof, and redwood siding. With three bedrooms and one bath, it totaled about 1000 square feet.

This is after we sold it in 1986 and it was updated.

George St Kitchen.jpg

George St Living Rm.jpg

Cool memories! 

• Love 4

I really, really have to get his book, "Growing Up Brady." He's the ONLY one that appears on MeTV, telling the viewers to watch him on The Brady Bunch.

I actually went to a book signing for this book years ago! I have no idea what ever happened to my signed copy.

I really enjoyed this. When I heard that HGTV had bought the Brady house, I assumed they were going to "update" it, not recreate it. It's much more fun that they are recreating it. I noticed one thing they were missing (which would have been relatively easy to find, I would think) was the green phone on the table next to the sofa.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
On 9/10/2019 at 9:45 AM, SamBeckett said:

I assume when we get to the kitchen, they will insist in using "period" appliances. How's that going to go over with a 21st century family? I know there are "retro" fridges, stoves, coffee makers . . . but do they work? Are they built to last? Did they have microwave ovens in the late 60s?

My guess is they will house modern appliances in older housing. From the outside it look like a 1970s fridge, but the inner workings will be modern. 

On 9/10/2019 at 9:47 AM, Shermie said:

As for the house afterwards? I hope it's open to tours, although the neighbours might not like having a tourist attraction in their residential area. Zoning, parking, and all that. Maybe it will be somewhere you can book to stay overnight.

19 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I wonder if they may turn it into a Brady museum and/or gift shop, like what was done here in Cleveland to the house used for the exteriors for A Christmas Story.

That's what I'm thinking. A Christmas Story house manages to make a go of it as a tourist attraction/gift shop in a residential area. The house that the renovation show is using as HQ could become the gift shop. Having it as a place where you can stay overnight would be awesome. I'd spend money to live in that house for a weekend. 

• Love 7

I'm just amazed that after 50 years (how the hell did that happen?) there is still so much interest in the Bradys.  Just curious - is this boomer nostalgia or have younger generations also gotten hooked on the Brady's through the magic of eternal reruns?

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Homily said:

I'm just amazed that after 50 years (how the hell did that happen?) there is still so much interest in the Bradys.  Just curious - is this boomer nostalgia or have younger generations also gotten hooked on the Brady's through the magic of eternal reruns?

I have wondered why there was so much love and interest in the Brady's whereas The Partridge Family had higher ratings and David Cassidy. There was just something about this show and cast that endured. Every 5 to 10 years a new format would air and people would flock. The show got great ratings with the Brady Girls Get Married and HUGE ratings for a Brady Christmas. It's just simply amazing that the current HGTV show is garnering this much interest 50 years later. It's sort of unexplainable. That said, I can still watch the reruns (I'm 55) and, never think twice about it. It is what it is. LOL!!!

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

That said, I can still watch the reruns (I'm 55) and, never think twice about it. It is what it is. LOL!!!

I know what you mean.  I don't watch the last season but enjoy it to that point (not blaming poor Cousin Oliver - the show had run its course by then) but back in the day I  loved the Partridge Family and adored David (swoon) Cassidy.  PF though hasn't aged well.  It's fun to watch an episode or two (especially fun to watch for future stars who guested on it) but I dunno, it's silly but PF was always just a show  but the Brady Bunch seemed real 😊.  I may need to see someone about this but that's the way it always struck me.

Edited by Homily
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12
43 minutes ago, Homily said:

Boomers watched it first run but Gen-X and millennials have gotten hooked on it, or at least have watched it through endless syndicated reruns. As a little kid I was so mad when there was a baseball game on TBS in the early afternoon instead of The Brady Bunch

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, Homily said:

I know what you mean.  I don't watch the last season but enjoy it to that point (not blaming poor Cousin Oliver - the show had run its course by then) but back in the day I  loved the Partridge Family and adored David (swoon) Cassidy.  PF though hasn't aged well.  It's fun to watch an episode or two (especially fun to watch for future stars who guested on it) but I dunno, it's silly but PF was always just a show  but the Brady Bunch seemed real 😊.  I may need to see someone about this but that's the way it always struck me.

My favorites are Season 2-4. I had always thought it was funny that The Partridge's were supposed to be this big band and remained in the same house. Also, they never let Keith age. For the longest time it looked like he was in high school with Laurie and then ended up in college (I think) but it still looked like high school. The Brady's seemed to age a little easier since they were playing their real ages. Also, the Brady's had pretty much equal storylines whereas the Partridge's didn't use Chris or Tracey at all. It also became the Rueben and Danny show. Granted it was funny but it lost a lot of the family element. Wait! Why am I getting so deep about tv shows that aired 50 years ago? LOL!!!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 8

Yes, the fact that they kept popping up after the original show has allowed a lot of people of various ages to see it.

The parody movies of the show in the 90s were hilarious. They did a good job of casting and they has scenes parodying a lot of the memorable scenes from the shows/movies. (The football nose scene in particular)

• Love 11
On 9/10/2019 at 6:25 PM, msrachelj said:

I'd like to know what the "packed" schedules were! Haven't seen any of the 6 doing much over the last 40 years. 

I do know that Barry Williams has his own show in Branson, MO

70's Music Celebration Starring Barry Williams

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Homily said:

Just curious - is this boomer nostalgia or have younger generations also gotten hooked on the Brady's through the magic of eternal reruns?

I think both...and I'm in the latter category.

1 hour ago, Tatortot said:

Yes, he's been very involved in musical theatre productions ever since the original TBB was cancelled. I think the first one was Pippin.

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 2
On 9/12/2019 at 11:54 AM, Tatortot said:

Re the "packed schedules"—a few years ago I saw Eve Plumb Off-Broadway in Miss Abigail's Guide to Dating, Mating, and Marriage--I was one of the audience participation victims participants. Just 'cause they aren't in big box office films doesn't mean they aren't acting—I looked her up in imdb.com and she's done 13 film or tv gigs since then, and who knows what else that the imdb doesn't list. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

And didn't (does?) Mike Lookinland drive race cars?

No, Bobby grew up to drive race cars and marry Martha Quinn. Mike makes custom concrete countertops in Salt Lake City.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Christopher Knight also said he'd been very involved with technology over the years.  Maybe he has a tech company?  And didn't (does?) Mike Lookinland drive race cars?

He did work for or own a company.  I remember hearing about it a while ago, so not sure if he still does that.

• Love 2

To be honest I would be more excited to see the Waltons Home redone..........lol, or even a cool little village with look alike buildings to House on the Prairie.

I think I just like to live back in that era.  Things were hard but simple.

• Love 10

That woman who had that tall cabinet and the man who had the grapes, did they just donate their items to HGTV or did they loan them for this show? If I owned a piece of tv history there is no way I'd just give it away. 

Also I really want Cousin Oliver to show up on the final episode of this.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, AZ Curls said:

That woman who had that tall cabinet and the man who had the grapes, did they just donate their items to HGTV or did they loan them for this show? If I owned a piece of tv history there is no way I'd just give it away. 

Also I really want Cousin Oliver to show up on the final episode of this.

I don't think those were the actual items.  They both just happened to own those things since they were mass manufactured.  I am sure the producers paid a good price for the stuff, they also got TV exposure, and, if they only loaned the items, they'll have bragging rights once HGTV doesn't want them anymore.

t

• Love 3
On 9/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, Homily said:

It’s probably a bit of both.  I’m 32 and got hooked as a kid with Nick at Nite, so I’ve seen every episode more than a few times.  I watched the renovation with my mom, who was almost as excited for the reveal as I was. 😆

• Love 5

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this, especially since I preferred The Partridge Family to The Brady Bunch. It was nostalgic and fun. Peter was always my favorite Brady and I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the actor who played Peter the most.

I agree with the people who said that the 70s decor was an abomination. The house is a hodge podge of bad taste. I remember when the horrible plastic fruit was the rage. I couldn't stand them.

HGTV must be very pleased with the ratings. We'll see if it holds up. It is also great PR for its various hosts. I think that HGTV could rent out the house for events. So many people loved the show and would be thrilled to get the chance to visit.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

If I were Eve I'd still be pretty furious!  If what Maureen wrote was true it was personal and should only have been shared with permission - and if it was something out of nothing in order to be scandalous-ugh, so wrong.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Homily said:

If I were Eve I'd still be pretty furious!  If what Maureen wrote was true it was personal and should only have been shared with permission - and if it was something out of nothing in order to be scandalous-ugh, so wrong.

Did Maureen write a tell-all book?

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Yes, she did and if you belong to Kindle Unlimited, you can read it for free which I did. After reading it I really question if everything she writes is true? Some of it seems really weird and unbelievable. In some cases, she names names, in other she just tells a story without names. It was somewhat interesting but I wouldn't spend big money on it...Free was just right!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Yes, and in it, she apparently claimed that, during the Brady Bunch years, she and Eve got drunk and made out.  When the book came out, Eve was angry and said it never happened and Maureen was just trying to sell books.  Years later, Maureen did indeed admit that she made the story up for the book.  Susan Olsen apparently played peacemaker between them.

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/brady-bunch-reunion-nixed-old-hints-lesbian-affair-maureen-mccormick-eve-plumb-article-1.176070

• Love 1
On 9/11/2019 at 10:51 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think only Barry, Maureen and Christopher ever did other projects post The Brady Bunch. Maureen was a regular on The Love Boat and Fantasy Island. Then she disappeared for almost 15? years. She had that short-lived sitcom about a genie? But we learned she had some issues which she revealed in her book and when she appeared on DWTS. Barry showed up on Three's Company, did a stint as a blackmailing yoga instructor on General Hospital, victim on Murder, She Wrote.  But yes, they'll always be known/famous for being The Brady Kids, something that I think Barry, out of all them, has embraced with joy. I really, really have to get his book, "Growing Up Brady." He's the ONLY one that appears on MeTV, telling the viewers to watch him on The Brady Bunch.

His book is great!  He is funny/witty and at the end he even includes an episode-by-episode guide with behind the scenes info for each episode 😃

On 9/11/2019 at 11:30 AM, MrPissyPuppy said:

Last time I recall seeing Christopher Knight was on The Surreal Life where he hooked up with a model that he wound up marrying.  

I watched "My Fair Brady" which was them planning their wedding - I am sorry to report that he came off as an immature bully with alcohol issues in it.  It's no wonder they're divorced.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:54 PM, Tatortot said:

Yes it's fantastic!  I went there just to see it (and tour the Laura Ingalls Wilder home which is also in Missouri) and had front row seats - he does a whole Brady segment and even made us stand up to learn Brady Choreography and dance and sing along 😄 

• Love 7

First, I'm going to say, I have nothing to say criticizing the clothes or looks or careers of any 50- to 60-somethings, the "Bradys" in particular.

Regarding the horse - did anyone else think the 3-d recreation was overkill?  Couldn't a mildly talented person with some clay recreate the original horse on the existing framework?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Homily said:

In Barry's book (well worth reading!) Chris Knight said that after the show was cancelled he called Eve and invited her to the movies.  Instead of going to the movies he drove them straight to some spot to make out in the back of his pickup (which he now admits was pretty dickish of him since he knew she'd had a crush on him for years).  The cops showed up in the middle of whatever they were doing, shined their flashlights on them and Eve was beyond mortified.  She wasn't too thrilled to see Chris tell that story in the book but she seems to have moved on from it.  I think she's just a private person and doesn't want her past to be part of gossip.  Can't say as I blame her.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 13
On 9/10/2019 at 1:40 PM, mmecorday said:

Not shockingly Eve wanted no part of it. She stood in the back with Chris (who can’t sing) and, just stood there. She is such a stick in the mud.

Eh, I'm sure they all have moments when they just need a moment away from the Brady-mania.  I give her a break.  I was thinking that Florence would probably have done this show, but Bob Reed wouldn't have touched it with a thirty-foot pole.  Ann B. Davis may have done a one episode guest spot.   

And I echo the comments wondering who would want this place when they are done.  It's not like the Brady home was a more classic 50s/early to mid 60s mid-century design.  It was a fairly ugly late 60s/early 70s look that even when new, doesn't look great. 

Maureen was a regular on The Love Boat and Fantasy Island.

Just looking at IMDB, she appeared on five Love Boat episodes, and six episodes of Fantasy Island.  I would say she did several guest spots on each show, but given the number of episodes each of those shows produced, I don't think I would call her a regular. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Eh, I'm sure they all have moments when they just need a moment away from the Brady-mania.  I give her a break.  I was thinking that Florence would probably have done this show, but Bob Reed wouldn't have touched it with a thirty-foot pole.  Ann B. Davis may have done a one episode guest spot.   

And I echo the comments wondering who would want this place when they are done.  It's not like the Brady home was a more classic 50s/early to mid 60s mid-century design.  It was a fairly ugly late 60s/early 70s look that even when new, doesn't look great. 

Just looking at IMDB, she appeared on five Love Boat episodes, and six episodes of Fantasy Island.  I would say she did several guest spots on each show, but given the number of episodes each of those shows produced, I don't think I would call her a regular. 

Regular guest star-ish?!? LOL!!!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SimoneS said:

HGTV must be very pleased with the ratings. We'll see if it holds up. It is also great PR for its various hosts.

I had the same thought. I wonder if part of the reason they did this was to get Brady fans to watch in the hopes the Brady fans would then start watching other HGTV series. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I had the same thought. I wonder if part of the reason they did this was to get Brady fans to watch in the hopes the Brady fans would then start watching other HGTV series. 

I have no doubt that cross marketing HGTV's other shows was the reason a number of the hosts from these other programs were chosen to be on this show.      

• Love 4
On 9/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, ByaNose said:

Also, they never let Keith age. For the longest time it looked like he was in high school with Laurie and then ended up in college (I think) but it still looked like high school.

I started disliking PF when they changed Keith from a caring, intelligent teenager into Danny's comic foil.  They made him so so dumb.  Hated that!  I don't recall that really happening on Brady Bunch.  The kids were never, as far as I remember, anything but real (for TV) kids. Worst thing they did on BB was trying to keep Cindy the baby of the family for too long.  They should have cast a much younger actress if they were going to go down that road!

More to the topic -  so far what I am liking about the renovation show is they are allowing the "kids" to have some say in what happens without it being lots of drah-ma and silliness.  Everyone involved seems excited and happy to be there and willing to work to make the whole concept come alive.  I guess a lot of that may be TV fakery but at least they're doing a good job with the faking -- unlike most reality shows!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 16
8 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Nope. Not for me. It would just make me depressed, because I want my OWN home, and I'm not in a position to get one. So, nope. Not watching any more of shows like this after I finish watching this show.

1 hour ago, Homily said:

I started disliking PF when they changed Keith from a caring, intelligent teenager into Danny's comic foil.  They made him so so dumb.  Hated that!  I don't recall that really happening on Brady Bunch.  The kids were never, as far as I remember, anything but real (for TV) kids. Worst thing they did on BB was trying to keep Cindy the baby of the family for too long.  They should have cast a much younger actress if they were going to go down that road!

More to the topic -  so far what I am liking about the renovation show is they are allowing the "kids" to have some say in what happens without it being lots of drah-ma and silliness.  Everyone involved seems excited and happy to be there and willing to work to make the whole concept come alive.  I guess a lot of that may be TV fakery but at least they're doing a good job with the faking -- unlike most reality shows!

So true. Especially the episode where Jan wanted to be an only child. The argument and the cold shoulder she got, was SO realistic. And when she realized how lonely she was, and went to Mike, that scene? always makes me tear up. Maybe it's the music. And the kids got punished. But any examples of that is more appropriate for the show's thread.

Same here. And the fact that a few of them are knowledgeable about construction work and have done some, is just icing.

• Love 4
On 9/14/2019 at 9:18 PM, Angeltoes said:

You've kind of gotten your wish.

https://thewaltonhamnerhouse.com/john-olivias-bnb-inn/

It looks like Maureen and Eve are cordial with each other, but I've noticed that they never stand or sit next to each other.

Poor Chris Knight is the buffer between them in every staircase photo shoot. LOL

I don't know what it is. I'm a "tweener," born between Baby Boomers and Gen X. Sometimes I see my birth year lumped in with one, and sometimes the other. Sniff. No real identity. 

I remember Friday nights. Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Room 222, Love American Style. Plus, space between Room 222 and LAS for whatever new sitcom that ABC wanted to give a prime spot to, for ratings. I remember for a couple of seasons, it was a show with Brian Keith and Shelley Faberes as father-daughter veterinarians in Hawaii. ANYWAY....

The Brady Bunch house is seared in my memory. Was it the unusual design? I remember the Partridge BUS more than their house. Their house looked like every other TV house. Blah. Or maybe it was how long the Brady's lived in syndication. That show benefited from the beginnings of the cable TV boom, as well. 

I know that Chip and Joanna no longer do an HGTV show, but can you imagine them participating in this? Chip, I can see getting into the fun aspect of it, but would Joanna break out in a rash being required to work on something that wasn't going to be 100% WHITE, or varying shades of WHITE, off white, or dirty white? Those 70's color schemes would have made her bat shit crazy. Might have been fun to see the meltdown. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • LOL 7
  • Love 12
14 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I know that Chip and Joanna no longer do an HGTV show, but can you imagine them participating in this? Chip, I can see getting into the fun aspect of it, but would Joanna break out in a rash being required to work on something that wasn't going to be 100% WHITE, or varying shades of WHITE, off white, or dirty white? Those 70's color schemes would have made her bat shit crazy. Might have been fun to see the meltdown. 

This is so funny because I was thinking the same exact thing. She would have lost her mind not being able to put shiplap in the house. Ha.

• LOL 15
  • Love 4