Type keyword(s) to search

A Very Brady Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The only other "house" I'd call memorable for me is the first apartment Mary lived in on The Mary Tyler Moore Show,  At 12 I wanted that apartment!  Loved everything about it.  Now I'm thinking I wouldn't want to have a sofa bed but other than that I could deal.  

• Love 6
On 10/21/2019 at 6:30 PM, LexieLily said:

It's too bad the Food Network representative for this project is Ree Drummond. 

It would have been better with Valerie Bertinelli, who is also on Food Network. A fellow child star from the mid to late 70's/early 80's.  She could have brought Duff with her and let the snark fly.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Homily said:

The only other "house" I'd call memorable for me is the first apartment Mary lived in on The Mary Tyler Moore Show,  At 12 I wanted that apartment!  Loved everything about it.  Now I'm thinking I wouldn't want to have a sofa bed but other than that I could deal.  

I would add the "Full House" house to that list, but maybe it's just because the recent reboot has refreshed my memory.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I would add the "Full House" house to that list, but maybe it's just because the recent reboot has refreshed my memory.

I watched the original not the new, Fuller House, but didn't most of the episodes center in the lower level....living room and kitchen. I don't think I remember bedrooms or am I "dis-remembering"?

33 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I watched the original not the new, Fuller House, but didn't most of the episodes center in the lower level....living room and kitchen. I don't think I remember bedrooms or am I "dis-remembering"?

On Full House, we saw a lot of the bedroom shared by the two older girls at first and later by the 2 younger ones when the older one took over the baby's old room.

The bigger bedroom was done in primary colors with twin beds and had a table and chairs.

The nursery initially was a soft green color with a border with bunnies on it.  At one point, I seem to recall Uncle Jesse using that room, complete with bunnies.  When the eldest daughter moved in and the kid played by the Olsen twins moved into the bigger room, it was redone as a teen girl's bedroom.

• Love 1

I think the producer of Full House bought the Full House home with the intention to replicate the tv show. Basically, he wanted to do what Brady’s are doing now. I’m not sure what became of the house since he bought or the set reproduction. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

On Full House, we saw a lot of the bedroom shared by the two older girls at first and later by the 2 younger ones when the older one took over the baby's old room.

The bigger bedroom was done in primary colors with twin beds and had a table and chairs.

The nursery initially was a soft green color with a border with bunnies on it.  At one point, I seem to recall Uncle Jesse using that room, complete with bunnies.  When the eldest daughter moved in and the kid played by the Olsen twins moved into the bigger room, it was redone as a teen girl's bedroom.

Thanks so much! Even with your description, I don't remember any of that.....except maybe Uncle Jesse with bunnies! I guess I saw it as I walked by the TV. Uncle Jesse would still be cute in a room decorated with bunnies!

10 hours ago, suebee12 said:

But I can remember two homes clearly all of these years later. BUT one has to be of a certain age...OLD because even tho' they have had reruns, they have never been rerun like the Brady's! The first home was actually an apartment....The Ricardo's! Almost all the action in I Love Lucy was set in that apartment. 

I agree the I Love Lucy apartment is just as iconic as the Brady house.  In later seasons, they moved into a house out in the country, but yeah it wasn't quite the same.

I never watched Father Knows Best much, so I'm not sure about their house.  I feel like I know the Petrie house on the Dick Van Dyke show pretty well.  Also the Kramden's apartment in the Honeymooners, but that set was just one room (they rarely, if ever, showed the bedroom).  More recently, I'd say the Big Bang Theory apartments are pretty iconic. 

• Love 1

The second was that famous home in Springfield...Father Knows Best!

Sorry, but the famous "Springfield house" belongs to The Simpsons. Father Knows Best is not nearly as iconic to the masses, plus anything done in B&W (which I assume it was?) really doesn't work as a reno redo.  

Now the Simpsons house would be a cool reno. The archways, the couch, the sailboat picture, the bright colours, the kitchen curtains with corncobs. I think someone did recreate the house privately about ten years ago.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

plus anything done in B&W (which I assume it was?) really doesn't work as a reno redo.  

This makes me wonder if there are any iconic houses from the movies that would make for a good renovation?

I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke usually have colorized shows that air around Christmas time, although I know it's not quite the same.  From what I understand, they did take care to try to be as accurate as possible however.

2 hours ago, Shermie said:

Sorry, but the famous "Springfield house" belongs to The Simpsons.

Well, I wasn't including cartoons...believe it or not, my son has DVDs of the first several years of the Simpsons...his favorite show way back when. I, on the other hand, have never watched the show! And I know that folks who watched Father Knows Best are old, but it was the show many, many watched. I know since it was in black and white it would be hard to do, but it is an iconic house. One other thing that the house was used for several shows over the years.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2019 at 5:32 PM, rmontro said:

his makes me wonder if there are any iconic houses from the movies that would make for a good renovation?

I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke usually have colorized shows that air around Christmas time, although I know it's not quite the same.  From what I understand, they did take care to try to be as accurate as possible however.

Back in the day, Universal Studios in Orlando used to have a reproduction of the Ricardo's original living room.  Interestingly, it was done in muted colors, shades of black, white, and gray for the most part, because camera equipment at that time got sharper images of black, white and gray objects than it did of multi-colored things.  So, in the early days of TV, the sets weren't very colorful.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Back in the day, Universal Studios in Orlando used to have a reproduction of the Ricardo's original living room.

Oh, that's cool.  That's exactly the kind of stuff we've been talking about.  Sort of.  Too bad they took it down, I guess the younger crowd didn't find it that interesting.

• Love 2
On 10/25/2019 at 12:21 PM, Homily said:

I still want that apartment, too!! The other TV abodes I most loved were the Stephens house on Bewitched (during the Dick York era, before it and the entire show went psychedelic) and Hayden Fox's cabin on Coach.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I still want that apartment, too!! The other TV abodes I most loved were the Stephens house on Bewitched (during the Dick York era, before it and the entire show went psychedelic) and Hayden Fox's cabin on Coach.

If had I won the Powerball I was going to buy the Mary Richards house. It was for sale a few years ago and it was a pretty nice house inside. Of course, Mary and Rhoda's places didn't really exist but I would have put a table and small lamp in Mary's window for all of Minneapolis to see. I couldn't live there though. Way too cold for me. LOL!!!!

https://www.twincities.com/2017/10/05/mary-tyler-moores-house-sells-for-1-5m-after-5-years-on-market/

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3
On 10/29/2019 at 8:53 PM, catlover79 said:

The other TV abodes I most loved were the Stephens house on Bewitched (during the Dick York era, before it and the entire show went psychedelic) 

Also, before they put the stupid staircase in the middle of the kitchen.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Also, before they put the stupid staircase in the middle of the kitchen.

Totally forgot about that. IIRC the studio caught fire and it was redesigned while the cast was on location in Salem. It was such a random change & poof there’s a staircase in the kitchen. Well, Samantha was a witch after all. LOL!!!  

A4D0581A-0465-471A-B978-57DB9C58FB1A.jpeg

• Love 1
On 9/15/2019 at 8:43 PM, txhorns79 said:

Eh, I'm sure they all have moments when they just need a moment away from the Brady-mania.  I give her a break.  I was thinking that Florence would probably have done this show, but Bob Reed wouldn't have touched it with a thirty-foot pole.  Ann B. Davis may have done a one episode guest spot.   

Robert Reed hated The Brady Bunch and the creative team, but he had a strong attachment to the kids. If he were still alive and found out all six kids were involved, he would have been there, even if it was just one episode. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Robert Reed hated The Brady Bunch and the creative team, but he had a strong attachment to the kids. If he were still alive and found out all six kids were involved, he would have been there, even if it was just one episode. 

I agree with that.  But also, people tend to mellow on things as they get older.   He might have accepted or even appreciated his Brady Bunch involvement over time.

• Love 3

I think Barry & Eve look great with the splash of red. It is a great picture. I will say they really thought far ahead to include Christmas when they were doing the initial specials. Now, I really hope they were paid a handsome sum for this. Remember Carol lost her voice and almost couldn't sing for Christmas Eve mass?! It was the only Christmas episode they did.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I agree with that.  But also, people tend to mellow on things as they get older.   He might have accepted or even appreciated his Brady Bunch involvement over time.

Agreed.  Christopher Plummer had some pretty negative things to say about the Sound of Music back in the day but now he seems to be proud of his association with it.  I suspect that would have been the case with Robert Reed too.  And he didn't hate it enough to not be involved in every Brady Bunch related show that came down the pike after the original show ended!

• Love 7
On 11/19/2019 at 6:50 AM, rmontro said:

I am pretty sure he became much more accepting and appreciative of it over time.  Like I have said before, I call him the Christopher Plummer of Sound of Music.  Another serious actor (at the time) in a role that wasn't his norm.  He didn't love SOM at the time, but over the years he became much more positive of the experience and sharing that with the castmates.  

On 11/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, Homily said:

Agreed.  Christopher Plummer had some pretty negative things to say about the Sound of Music back in the day but now he seems to be proud of his association with it.  I suspect that would have been the case with Robert Reed too.  And he didn't hate it enough to not be involved in every Brady Bunch related show that came down the pike after the original show ended!

Sorry I didn't go down far enough to see your similar response.  lol!  I had mentioned Christopher previously on this thread for this topic so it made me think of it again.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2019 at 7:49 AM, alexa said:

I know we talked about the door earlier in this thread.  They showed the old door up close on the episode last night, and the old door was not blue, it was brown.  So did we ever figure out why they used blue on the new version?  

Even though there wasn't a lot new in last night's episode, I enjoyed some of the interviews and extra stuff.

Now I saw the episode where Peter couldn’t go on his camping trip for knocking over the vase, and they spent a lot of time outside the front door.  I stared at it to figure it out, and it looked black—or at least that was the closest color I could describe.  Even if it was blue, it was very dark blue, so I still don’t know why they chose such a bright blue for the renovation.  I think any dark neutral color would have been better.

• Useful 1

I confess, I'm not sure what I was expecting but I think it would have been better if we had watched them talk about the show and stuff from the past. It was a nice touch to having scenes from the Christmas episode though. I'm not watching the Food Network or HGTV unless its Brady. 

Nice to see the 'snow Bradys ' on the roof though.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Nice to see the 'snow Bradys ' on the roof though.  

I laughed at Barry's line that "snow Alice" had worked her hands right off.  

I liked the picture of Susan Olsen pregnant, because it showed Eve sitting in the background.  That, more than anything, seems to indicate that they stayed friends and hung out with each other, at least to some extent.

The turkey looked good.  I was surprised there weren't puddles on the ground if it was 95 degrees out, and they sprayed real snow.  They must have sprayed it right before the Bradys walked out the door. 

• Love 4

Just watched the Holiday edition and was well done. I wasn’t into the food stuff but it wasn’t horrible. The nutcrackers were pretty cool and I think I could even make them. I do like that they still appreciate Robert, Florence & Ann B. Just like life time moves on but memories remain. I’m 55 and even I can’t believe I've had the Bradys in my life since 1969. Where did the time go? Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 10

I'm going to try that butter and french onion soup rub for my next breast of turkey. The mashed potatoes looked yummy too but that looks like way more work than I want to do. (I don't have a ricer or fondue pot either.)

Interesting that in the clip of the old Christmas show, all three boys brought the tree in the front door, but here only Chris and Mike hauled it in. I wonder if Barry has a bad back or something. They also neglected to show who strung all those lights. I was wondering if they were going to light the tree when they showed Susan and Mike hanging ornaments on it, then later when they were hanging all the Brady-themed ornaments as a group the tree suddenly had lights. 

Not much new info to be gleaned from this special but it was fun anyway.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm going to try that butter and french onion soup rub for my next breast of turkey. The mashed potatoes looked yummy too but that looks like way more work than I want to do. (I don't have a ricer or fondue pot either.)

Interesting that in the clip of the old Christmas show, all three boys brought the tree in the front door, but here only Chris and Mike hauled it in. I wonder if Barry has a bad back or something. They also neglected to show who strung all those lights. I was wondering if they were going to light the tree when they showed Susan and Mike hanging ornaments on it, then later when they were hanging all the Brady-themed ornaments as a group the tree suddenly had lights. 

Not much new info to be gleaned from this special but it was fun anyway.

The tree in the door, I didn't notice Barry wasn't helping but I would think he could have at least opened the door. I deleted the episode already but I thought maybe he was in the other room with the cast member? 

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The mashed potatoes looked yummy too but that looks like way more work than I want to do. 

It's not that hard to make cheesy mashed potatoes, just make the mashed potatoes and mix some shredded cheese into them until it melts.

I agree the special was pretty superficial, but fun nonetheless.

• Love 1

"Universal Studios in Orlando used to have a reproduction of the Ricardo's original living room."

That set of Lucy and Desi's living room, bedroom and kitchen has been moved to the Lucy and Desi Museum in Jamestown NY outside of Buffalo

It really is a cool place.  I visited there eight years ago, and if you google it, you would see some very interesting stuff, especially if you are a Lucy fan.  Now they have the National Comedy Center, also in Jamestown NY, so it has really become a destination for comedy as well as for fans of the Queen of Comedy.

TV Note, the Latest colorized I Love Lucy airs tonight, Friday at 8 pm EST on CBS.

Edited by screengem
  • Love 2

Wow not much to say about the holiday show. Unless there is another forum hiding here somewhere. Since the change,  it Is almost impossible to find shows. Anyway,  I thought it was really bad. I can’t stand the pioneer woman and her gross food and overpriced walmart crap. 
Yes it was nostalgic and sad and all those other things at the same time. Makes you realize  how fast time is going by and I don’t know, just makes me depressed.  
What’s with Marcia’s mouth? She sure makes the Puss face  a lot!😄

• Love 1
4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Wow not much to say about the holiday show. Unless there is another forum hiding here somewhere. Since the change,  it Is almost impossible to find shows. Anyway,  I thought it was really bad. I can’t stand the pioneer woman and her gross food and overpriced walmart crap. 
Yes it was nostalgic and sad and all those other things at the same time. Makes you realize  how fast time is going by and I don’t know, just makes me depressed.  

To find a show forum, click on “Forums” in the upper right corner and do a search.

7 hours ago, msrachelj said:

I noticed that too!  It looked like something was bothering her.  It was reported that her agent held out for more money to do the show, so she ended up being paid more than anyone else.  I was thinking that either she felt guilty about it, or that maybe she was receiving some snark about it from the other Bradys (maybe just a few subtle jabs or passive aggressive remarks).  Or could be anything, really.

The holiday special wasn't all that impressive, there wasn't that much going on, that's probably why there wasn't much discussion about it.

• Love 1

I watched the TV movie Christmas special from the 80s (which this show seems to have forgotten - probably because Susan Olson wasn't in it). The house was in glorious pastels and I still sort of loved it. The office seemed smaller. One thing that was interesting is that at the beginning, the camera sort of followed Mike and Carol as they were walking from the back room, through the kitchen and into the living room, but followed from the outside (yes, I realize it was a soundstage). But they showed big windows or possibly French doors next to the dining room table. 

• Useful 1