Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Ua ʻeha ka ʻili i ka maka o ka ihe (The Skin Has Been Hurt by the Point of the Spear)

• Start Topic

A new ally helps McGarrett and Five-0 when mob bosses on the island are being targeted by an assassin. Also, Five-0 says goodbye to one of their own, on the 10th season premiere of Hawaii Five-0, Friday, Sept. 27, at its new time (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Katrina Law joins the cast as Quinn Liu. Rob Morrow guest stars.

Original Airdate: September 27, 2019

SOURCE: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=53381

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a parenthesis.
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Who is leaving?  Or is it just Grace going off to college?

I don’t think it’s Grace, unless she does the whole goodbye thing from offscreen. Teilor Grubbs isn’t in the episode cast list, which is part of the press release I linked to.

I was thinking more like something happens to Chin, Kono, or Max & they die offscreen. Otherwise, the only characters I could see who are expendable are Adam, who’s been said to be expendable by many since Grace Park left the show & Kono was written out (except maybe for his organized crime-related knowledge; especially about the Yakuza); or Jerry, who was originally introduced as this weird, geeky, conspiracy theorist friend of Chin’s we met at their High School reunion (1 of those “milestone year” anniversaries too, as I remember—it was the episode where the fans/viewers got to vote on certain [mostly pretty minor] elements of the crime part of the ep), whose “expertise” later became useful on certain cases leading him to be named, at least unofficially, as a “Consultant” to the team & eventually an actual member of it.

I could see it being Jerry. The finale last season ended with a gunshot, and it was only Steve, Jerry, and Danny (was he there? I think yes, but I'm not sure) in the room with the woman and her son. I'd be surprised if they wrote any of them off without a farewell episode rather than an off-screen death, but least surprised if it were Jerry.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I could see it being Jerry. The finale last season ended with a gunshot, and it was only Steve, Jerry, and Danny (was he there? I think yes, but I'm not sure) in the room with the woman and her son. I'd be surprised if they wrote any of them off without a farewell episode rather than an off-screen death, but least surprised if it were Jerry.

Regarding the bolded: Yes, Danny was there. He was in the Five-0 HQ, but I remember it being more like he apparently ran into the room where Steve, Jerry, the woman & her son were—but we didn’t see him; we only heard him exclaim “Oh my God!”, as he saw what happened, then they went to the ending credits that run without theme music & faded to black.

• Love 1

My money's on Kono (conveniently KIA off-screen) since that will free Adam for another romance, of course after an appropriate period of time spent as widower. They might throw in some death-wish action there to spice things up during his mourning period.

The cliffhanger from last season is going to be a fake-out. They're not killing one of the main cast and I very much consider Jerry being part of the main cast. During the last couple of seasons he was probably in more episodes than Danny.

4 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Aren't Adam and Kono divorced now?  Or did I imagine that?

They’re divorced, or in the process of getting 1. All they really showed onscreen was Adam apparently coming back from visiting her on the Mainland, or wherever she was working to help shut down the human trafficking network, & he wasn’t very happy (I think he got pretty drunk & Tani found him at home) & he started telling all their friends/ohana that Kono apparently ended things between them, or told Adam she wanted to, because they’d changed or at least she had.

For the "saying good-bye to one of their own", my guess is that Steve finds a home for Mr. Pickles. Or, maybe Eric heads back to the mainland since he was only in a couple of shows at the start of Season 9? But, the other likely choice is a tribute of sorts to Beth Chapman who did appear in at least one episode several seasons ago. I think they had stopped filming by the time she passed away this year?

Edited by GustheCat

This is going to sound mean. But really wished it was kind of Steve. As really know he is the star and the show goes with Alex if he leaves. But really they sometimes make Steve out to be such a foolish jerk. And that the way he sometimes treats Danny and is not grateful when Danny is and offers Steve help. Danny cares about Steve and shows it. However if Steve is a true friend, like Danny is despite all his whining, then at least show some gratitude Steve.

I see that Jorge Garcia is still in the opening credits, so I'm assuming that he'll just show up now and then.

I did laugh when the guy took off in the monster truck (you definitely couldn't travel around incognito in that thing).  And Scott Caan's 'That's something you don't see every day'. 

Speaking of Caan, who did he tick off in order to be stuck with that horrible haircut?  Or did he have it last season and I didn't notice it?  (I did just get a better quality TV so maybe I missed it)

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Speaking of Caan, who did he tick off in order to be stuck with that horrible haircut?  Or did he have it last season and I didn't notice it?  (I did just get a better quality TV so maybe I missed it)

He had weird hair last season too. I'm guessing it's Scott's idea.  

The cliffhanger resolution was underwhelming.  Is Alex trying hide some greys because his hair looks a lot darker. New character seems OK.  Not as boring as Catherine so that's a plus. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fireball said:

I feel like new character Quinn? is Catherine 2.0.

And Danny tried so hard to tell us she is McGarrett 2.0 😉

At least Steve was at home when he first encountered Danny. The introduction of a CID Agent tracking a missing veteran continues to draw down on someone with a detective's ID was off.

Yeah, Scott’s hair was the same style last season. He’s actually had (receding hairline) hair issues all 10 seasons, but the last 2 have been most pronounced. That “buzzed on the sides, full hair in the middle” look isn’t very flattering—but at least Scott didn’t go back to the “mohawk in the middle” look, as in 1 of those (I guess) early publicity pics of him which was also used as the pic Danny’s nephew Eric Emailed everyone in Danny’s phone book, in the episode where the Eric character was introduced, while he was still behaving like something of a delinquent & he hadn’t straightened out yet. If you ask me, he should just buzz cut his whole head, like Matt Lauer (only example I can think of) did a few years ago, when issues with his hair became noticeable.

I think I might end up liking Quinn too. And it was interesting Tani & Junior were on another “just friends” (I guess that’s what they’re telling themselves it is) date tonight.

Did everybody notice Alex (but not Scott) is now listed among the Producers, in the guest cast/production-related credits that air when the show comes back from the break after the teaser & opening titles? I’m guessing maybe Alex (finally) got the distinction since he’s also taken an interest in writing & directing episodes since last season, & he’s proven himself to be really good at those things, besides just portraying McGarrett (plus he always seems willing to do his share, or more, of promotion for the show & he seems to take his position as #1 on the filming call sheets seriously).

Since that kind of title is usually given to the star(s) of a show(s) as a contract perk (when they aren’t part of the team who created the show to start with), I think I’m a little surprised Scott wasn’t also given a Producer credit this season; mostly since, during S1, I remember Peter Lenkov making a comment in an interview about how Alex & Scott would both probably have Executive Producer credits by Season 5.

Again, I wonder if Scott’s lack of a Producer credit has something to do with how much he’s willing to do for the show, beyond acting in it. He hasn’t done talk shows to promote it in I don’t know how long (though, OK, it’s probably been awhile since Alex has done the talk shows too); Scott’s an accomplished screenwriter & director but, unlike Alex (or even Daniel Dae Kim, or Chi McBride), he hasn’t written or directed for the show; he hasn’t contributed to any DVD ep special features (which involve filming new material & not just using ep or blooper clips) or commentaries by the cast since S1, during which he was heard—among other things—not paying attention & making a noise as if he had fallen asleep & was jerked awake by a bad dream (whether he was acting or had legit fallen asleep during the commentary taping is perhaps debatable); he doesn’t regularly attend the Hawaiian blessing on the set at the beginning of the filming (though he has at least twice, I think); despite being listed as expected to attend all of them, Scott has also rarely attended the Sunset on the Beach season premiere celebrations, even though (or so I heard) he supposedly said he didn’t mind appearing at those because they were for the fans. And I know neither of the last 2 events involve mandatory attendance by the cast members.

Finally, I noticed Steve’s dad’s toolbox from S1, with all the secrets in it, was where the bomber chose to put the bomb at McGarrett’s (I thought it was, anyway). It’ll be interesting to find out why that location was chosen, in particular. But it’s equally interesting to see that box show up again, if it has.

This episode was so goddamn dumb.  Why would the veteran hired guns choose death/suicide over capture?  What was the point of the monster truck scene?  Why did neither the second hitter or Steve or Quinn bring long guns to the third mobster’s house?  Why the Christ would any mob loan shark use a car bomb to punish someone for nonpayment when that is perhaps the one thing that can bring the full weight of the US government down on your podunk little operation, especially in 2004 during the height of the Global War on Terror?

It did get Katrina Law on side, though, so it did what it had to do.  The writing for her was pretty dumb (aforementioned monster truck scene, the armed standoffs) but the characterization could work out down the line.  

And props to a network show for not actually killing a regular character that was leaving I suppose.  Sure Chin and Kono both survived, but could you imagine the backlash the showrunners would’ve faced if they killed off the show’s two Asian main characters because the studio kept mistaking Scott Caan for a leading man?

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Mars477 said:

This episode was so goddamn dumb.  Why would the veteran hired guns choose death/suicide over capture?  What was the point of the monster truck scene?  Why did neither the second hitter or Steve or Quinn bring long guns to the third mobster’s house?  Why the Christ would any mob loan shark use a car bomb to punish someone for nonpayment when that is perhaps the one thing that can bring the full weight of the US government down on your podunk little operation, especially in 2004 during the height of the Global War on Terror?

It did get Katrina Law on side, though, so it did what it had to do.  The writing for her was pretty dumb (aforementioned monster truck scene, the armed standoffs) but the characterization could work out down the line.  

And props to a network show for not actually killing a regular character that was leaving I suppose.  Sure Chin and Kono both survived, but could you imagine the backlash the showrunners would’ve faced if they killed off the show’s two Asian main characters because the studio kept mistaking Scott Caan for a leading man?

What can you say, its H5-0 and there the monster truck makes perfect sense just like Danny snarked. As for the weapons choice they also have a long history of that. I remember one episode when they broke out the heavy stuff to go to a brothel to question a witness but  when after the gunmen only had their pistols.

Good eye on Alex as a producer. And really think it was about time. Episode is 9/10. Will be an interesting season to say the least. Wonder if it will be the last season. Unless Alex now a producer has his say. 

But really Scott think about your hair. Need to fix it

Like Katrina Law. And really her Quinn telling Steve to go faster. When Danny tells him to go slower. She and Steve will click.

Steve and the date will not last long IMHO.

Tani and Junior IMHO will be "friends" with benefits.

Will miss Jerry but Jorge just recently wedded wants to spend time with his new bride but at least door open for him to return.

Really come on use Lou more often.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Really come on use Lou more often.

Don't worry Scott Caan has a habit of disappearing and other cast members need to be paired with the boss. New girl however will no doubt cut into Grover time.

Joel! I mean Don! Nobody casts Rob Morrow just to find Lou an apartment. But I'm not complaining. I'm also glad to see Katrina Law outside the Arrowverse even though her character is written as a female Steve. 

Of course the plot made little to no sense but we're in season 10 now and that's just how this show rolls. 

Random notes: I liked Jerry and I'll miss Jorge - let's hope he stays as a semi-regular character. Tani looks great in those slinky numbers. And of course Adam is dating his childhood friend from last season - who has a Yakuza dad. That red tool box is the world's most annoying McGuffin ever. How many weird plots were written around that thing? Hopefully the bomb will deal with it once and for all.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Raja said:

And Danny tried so hard to tell us she is McGarrett 2.0 😉

You're right the show really did hit us over the head with Quinn is the female version of Steve; however, I just kept seeing Catherine 2.0. I guess the show thinks being the female version of Steve makes her the perfect women for him..  I'm probably in the minority, but I've never been interested in Steve's romantic relationships.

10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Yeah, Scott’s hair was the same style last season. He’s actually had (receding hairline) hair issues all 10 seasons, but the last 2 have been most pronounced. That “buzzed on the sides, full hair in the middle” look isn’t very flattering—but at least Scott didn’t go back to the “mohawk in the middle” look, as in 1 of those (I guess) early publicity pics of him which was also used as the pic Danny’s nephew Eric Emailed everyone in Danny’s phone book, in the episode where the Eric character was introduced, while he was still behaving like something of a delinquent & he hadn’t straightened out yet. If you ask me, he should just buzz cut his whole head, like Matt Lauer (only example I can think of) did a few years ago, when issues with his hair became noticeable.

A buzz cut would be so much better then the ridiculous hair cut he has going on now. The haircut is not flattering at all and looks like Danny is trying to look hip and younger and failing at both. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, LizDC said:

He had weird hair last season too. I'm guessing it's Scott's idea.  

The cliffhanger resolution was underwhelming.  Is Alex trying hide some greys because his hair looks a lot darker. New character seems OK.  Not as boring as Catherine so that's a plus. 

100% they colored his hair. Not a very natural look given that they left the grey in his beard.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MartyQui said:

Alex has had gray highlights in his hair for a while, but the decision to dye it dark reddish brown is weird...he must have passed the 50% point and they thought he needed to fix it.

Instead of using just for men that gives a some gradual color that blends in they must have tried to match a permanent or semipermanent dye to his natural hair color.  They probably used something like a chestnut brown instead of mixing it with darker color.  Some brown dye's have red undertones that end up showing depending on how gray your hair is.  He's just lucky whatever they used didn't make him look like Ronald McDonald in the sunlight.  

On 9/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, Fireball said:

A buzz cut would be so much better then the ridiculous hair cut he has going on now. The haircut is not flattering at all and looks like Danny is trying to look hip and younger and failing at both. 

I totally agree.  I'm sure it will grow back in the next few weeks.  I hope something will grow back in the next few weeks.  

Quinn wasn't so bad.  I've read somewhere that Katrina Law really is martial arts trained, so I'm hoping they will utilize some of that.  I doubt they will, but from what little I've seen of her on a few things from YouTube she's definitely capable of playing this role.  I'm also glad she's a little closer to Tani and Junior's age than the rest that have to be 40-plus.

I don't know about Quinn. Are we really prepared for them to allow a military criminal investigator to join the task force? Does she really have the same level of skills that the task force is used to receiving from their members, like being married to a member and being sort of kind of a member of the Yakuza? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/28/2019 at 11:52 AM, Fireball said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I've never been interested in Steve's romantic relationships.

It's because, except for Catherine, they just keep pairing him up with really bland, interchangeable women. At least this one wasn't in a bikini for every scene, so there's that.

4 hours ago, Just my 2 cents said:

Quinn wasn't so bad.  I've read somewhere that Katrina Law really is martial arts trained, so I'm hoping they will utilize some of that.

She's had a recurring role on Arrow, and I can say that her exceptional martial arts skills have been on display in every episode she's been in. I'm sure they'll put that to good use.

Scott's hair is ridiculous.

I'm noticing they're giving Adam more to do, at least. Making him more a part of the action. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I don't know about Quinn. Are we really prepared for them to allow a military criminal investigator to join the task force? Does she really have the same level of skills that the task force is used to receiving from their members, like being married to a member and being sort of kind of a member of the Yakuza? 

You mean Lieutenant Commander McGarrett or Sergeant Liu?

2 hours ago, Raja said:

You mean Lieutenant Commander McGarrett or Sergeant Liu?

I may be explaining the joke but I'm pretty sure they meant she was overqualified compared to the lady who was kind of a cop or the quasi-retired Yakuza gangster.

1 hour ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Why did they give new girl the name Liu?  They already have a Lou Grover!  

It's a pretty common Chinese family name.  And if they're calling each other by last names Grover would be Grover.  And "Liu" and "Lou" don't sound that alike at all.  One is pronounced "Leeuw" and the other "Luu" after all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Awww....  Steve was cute on his date.  So were Junior and Tani.

I think Scott Caan is trolling us with his hair. 

Awkward Steve was absolutely adorable.  It makes him seem human.  Junior and Tani are just too cute.  They're so young and with a promising future.  I agree with everything you wrote.

I think it is a very ugly hairstyle for both Danny and Scott, but I love the non-conformity.  It definitely doesn't look like a hairstyle the character would wear and certainly not one most people would want to have. 

I fully expect a foreign article to come out a few years after this show ends titled "Scott Caan, Sitting in the Catbird Seat and Loving It!"  If it were a U.S. article there would be a lot of ticked off fans.

I mean think about it.   Regardless if he's in an episode or not either he or Danny is mentioned in social media fandom.  He hardly ever attends show events and he's still talked about.  The people that dislike his character have given his constant whining and complaining the term "Dannoying".  I find that amusing.  I kind of find it amusing that these people much like Danny constantly whine and complain about him.  I guess that saying, the things we don't like in others is the same thing about ourselves we don't like, is true.  Scott Caan/Danny pretty much gets attention from fandom whether he's liked or disliked and whether he's in an episode or not.  You gotta love it.  He's not in an episode and it's mentioned thank goodness this was a Dannyless episode, I didn't miss him or you have the others that are furious that he wasn't in the episode and wasn't mentioned as to why Danny was missing.

He misses at least 5-7 episodes a season.  I'm not sure about this, but I think there were only 2 episodes last season that managed to eke out a solid .9 and everything else was less than that.  The 2 episodes were Danny's daughter gets in a car accident and the other was Danny's famous (Joan Collins) mother in law comes to town.  Between that and the fact that he and his character get a lot of social media attention both positive and negative, it has to work in his favor during contract negotiations.  I doubt CBS would still be footing his paycheck if he didn't.  I guess he's become the antagonist or what they call in wrestling "heel" off the show.    Of course, I suppose it's not a bad place to be when you're an actor working for a large and powerful network.

I love it when Hawaii Five-O does these stripped down celebrations for characters based on budget. "We didn't pay Kimee Balmilero for this episode, so sorry, Jerry, Noelani couldn't make your party." 

I thought that they were nailing Jerry's reasons for leaving Five-O until they then hit on what he was going to do next. Remember when Max left and they gave him a noble new mission? Jerry's just writing a moronic book. A book that he clearly could have worked on while still being on Five-O. I know the idea is that Jerry will pop up from time to time and so they couldn't, like, send him out of the state or whatever, but come on, people, give him a SLIGHTLY noble reason for leaving, at least!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

Jerry's just writing a moronic book.

I feel so bad about this, because since he officially joined the team, they stopped making him this kooky conspiracy theorist. The subject of his book diminishes him as a character they've tried to get people to take seriously. A huge misstep.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I feel so bad about this, because since he officially joined the team, they stopped making him this kooky conspiracy theorist. The subject of his book diminishes him as a character they've tried to get people to take seriously. A huge misstep.

Not only that, but they just happened to pick a conspiracy theory that's big with QAnon, which is precisely the type of people Jerry WOULDN'T be associating with, so not only is it a dumb idea, but it's a dumb idea that makes Jerry look like he's into QAnon, which doesn't make any sense for his character. 

He got a love interest last season (who, again, they couldn't use in the episode for his party because they didn't want to pay another actor), so they could have just said the brush with death makes him want to experience life more and he wants to go travel with her or whatever. Or he wants to do charity work. Anything but "I want to write a book based on a moronic QAnon conspiracy theory." It's very disappointing. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Why did they give new girl the name Liu?  They already have a Lou Grover!  

Yeah, but they don't hardly use "Lou" at all. Ticks me off because he is a phenomenal actor. Three of my favorite epis were the one when his daughter was kidnapped & he had to steal the $M, when he & his family had to go on the run, and when old partner Clay & his wife visited Lou & his wife. Lou now lucky to appear in maybe 10 min of the epis. And he is one of, if not the last one, shown in opening credit, although he was hired before Jerry, Adam, etc. He's ticked off the writers or something, I guess. Dunno; don't understand. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Not only that, but they just happened to pick a conspiracy theory that's big with QAnon, which is precisely the type of people Jerry WOULDN'T be associating with, so not only is it a dumb idea, but it's a dumb idea that makes Jerry look like he's into QAnon, which doesn't make any sense for his character. 

He got a love interest last season (who, again, they couldn't use in the episode for his party because they didn't want to pay another actor), so they could have just said the brush with death makes him want to experience life more and he wants to go travel with her or whatever. Or he wants to do charity work. Anything but "I want to write a book based on a moronic QAnon conspiracy theory." It's very disappointing. 

Wow. That is WAY worse and much more damaging to the character than I realized. 

It makes me so sad that this show often takes the lazy way out or goes for the easy joke rather than thinking about the character. I so believe everything should be character instead of plot-driven, that I'm pissed they didn't treat Jerry with the respect he deserves.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Wow. That is WAY worse and much more damaging to the character than I realized. 

Well, I mean, I sincerely doubt they even knew about the QAnon connection. I bet they just Googled crazy conspiracy theories and picked that one, but, as you note, that's just because they were going for the cheapest joke possible. So it's not good on their part either way, I just don't think they seriously intended to give him a QAnon conspiracy theory. It was more laziness than malice, ya know? Still bad, but not AS bad. 🙂

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Well, I mean, I sincerely doubt they even knew about the QAnon connection. I bet they just Googled crazy conspiracy theories and picked that one, but, as you note, that's just because they were going for the cheapest joke possible. So it's not good on their part either way, I just don't think they seriously intended to give him a QAnon conspiracy theory. It was more laziness than malice, ya know? Still bad, but not AS bad. 🙂

Yeah, you're right. That's only marginally better.

Maybe others will point this out to them, and they'll redeem Jerry again. I can only hope. Because while at first he'd been super annoying, he came to be a much better and more well-rounded character, and having him backslide for a joke, is bad form.

6 hours ago, DKay said:

Yeah, but they don't hardly use "Lou" at all. Ticks me off because he is a phenomenal actor. Three of my favorite epis were the one when his daughter was kidnapped & he had to steal the $M, when he & his family had to go on the run, and when old partner Clay & his wife visited Lou & his wife. Lou now lucky to appear in maybe 10 min of the epis. And he is one of, if not the last one, shown in opening credit, although he was hired before Jerry, Adam, etc. He's ticked off the writers or something, I guess. Dunno; don't understand. 

Chi is the last regular in the title sequence, but it's the "and" credit.  The "and" and "with" credits appear at the end, and are generally a bigger deal then all the other credits except the top-billing.  It is an acknowledgement that that actor has a bigger career and an agent who knows how to make a deal.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

What is QAnon?

Insane far right conspiracy theory.  Remember that thing about Hillary Clinton and other Democrats running a child sex trafficking ring out of the nonexistent basement of a DC pizzeria, that resulted in a nut job taking an AR15 there to “rescue the children”?  That was QAnon.  These days it’s all about the “deep state” and how Donald Trump’s enemies will all be rounded up any day now.

I’m sure the writers didn’t intentionally make an allusion to QAnon, but still it’s not a great look.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, threebluestars said:

Is Eddie a bomb sniffing dog? Because if so, he should get on that.

I think the synopsis for the next episode mentions something about Eddie being instrumental in finding the bomb at McGarrett’s house.

(edited)
On 9/30/2019 at 11:32 PM, DKay said:

Yeah, but they don't hardly use "Lou" at all. Ticks me off because he is a phenomenal actor. Three of my favorite epis were the one when his daughter was kidnapped & he had to steal the $M, when he & his family had to go on the run, and when old partner Clay & his wife visited Lou & his wife. Lou now lucky to appear in maybe 10 min of the epis. And he is one of, if not the last one, shown in opening credit, although he was hired before Jerry, Adam, etc.He's ticked off the writers or something, I guess. Dunno; don't understand.

Regarding the bolded: The fact that Chi McBride’s credit in the opening titles doesn’t have the negative connotation that you seem to think it does (or I’m feeling that you do). In fact, in TV & film, being at the end of the credits, with words like “and”, “also starring”, “with” “Special Guest Star”, “Special Appearance by” in front of your name, & with “as (character name)” after that is a good thing. It shows that you &/or whomever negotiates your contract has some clout & can get you that credit; you're well-respected, legendary, etc., in the industry; it can be (but I don’t know if it always is) a negotiated item in a contract. But in Chi’s case, I think he legitimately earned his “and Chi McBride” credit over his years in the business. The only thing that might make it better is if his credit read “and Chi McBride as Captain Lou Grover”.

Also, Chi was not hired before Ian Anthony Dale (Adam)—who currently appears 3rd, in Daniel Dae Kim’s former position, between Scott Caan & Meaghan Rath (who appears in the same opening credits position Grace Park did for the entire 7 years she was on the show) in the opening titles/credits. Ian has been on the show since Season 2, when his role was recurring (it almost had to be, because he had a co-starring role on another show, Murder in the First, that aired on TNT for 2-3 seasons early in Hawaii Five-0’s run) &, among other things, he & Kono were a secret couple/“opposites attract” relationship, because of the Noshimuri family’s high-level Yakuza ties & Kono being an HPD cop/Hawaii Five-0 task force member. Chi McBride joined the show at the beginning of Season 4, & his character & McGarrett’s didn’t get along until about halfway through that season, when the Governor ordered them to work together, serving subpoenas on people with charges like delinquent parking tickets, & they ran afoul of computer hacker Ian Wright, the guy who eventually kidnapped Grover’s daughter, Samantha, who got them involved in a big firefight with some bad guys he’d done a deal with & doublecrossed.

I seriously doubt Chi has ticked off the writers. His writing the Thanksgiving ep last season wouldn’t do it (if it would, then they’d have to be upset because Alex has also written episodes airing last season & this season, & they shouldn’t not be upset at him just because he’s 1st in the credits & Chi is, like, 6th). In fact, as long as it was good enough to be filmed—which it was—the writers should be thrilled Chi had an idea for an ep, he took it to the Executive Producer Peter Lenkov, & Peter Lenkov agreed it was good enough to write & film. That was 1 less episode the writing staff had to come up with last season, because of Chi.

I think the issue, as you see it, with Chi suddenly, seemingly being used less has to do with the cast size in recent years. In their haste to replace Daniel & Grace, & because of their possible efforts to respond to certain viewers’ accusations of racism when they dropped the show’s 2 Korean-descent leads, but kept the 2 white leads, & in their efforts to refresh an “aging” show, they’ve hired more actors than they can fit into 1 episode, or the show each week, as a whole—11 leads. So, right now, Chi’s character is sort of on “the back burner” (just like when they rotate who gets the big storylines in soap operas—sometimes 1 group of characters is seen more; other times, another group of characters is, or both groups are).

When Daniel Dae Kim & Grace Park left, the producers filled those holes by hiring Beulah Koale & Meaghan Rath. That brought the cast back up to the previous 6. Then, apparently in answer to the racially-related complaints that came because CBS fired the show’s only 2 POC/Korean descent cast members, CBS promoted 4 actors/actresses of Japanese, Hawaiian, Filipina, & Samoan descent, whose roles were previously considered “recurring” (Ian Anthony Dale/Adam, Dennis Chun/HPD Sgt. Duke Lukela, Kimee Balmilero/Dr. Noelani Cunha, Honolulu’s Chief Medical Examiner, Taylor Wily/Kamekona) to full time roles on the show. That raised the lead cast to 10 members.

And this season, they again raised the lead cast in number—to 11–when they hired Katrina Law to play that ex-military CID officer. They may have hired her to help fill the “badass female” role also/still currently filled by Meaghan Rath because it was announced, awhile back, that Meaghan also has a role in Supergirl this season; I think playing some kind of villain, which her real life brother also either played, or will still be playing. So Meaghan/Tani probably will be missing from some eps this season since 1 show films in Hawaii & the other in Vancouver.

And that, or who knows what else, might put Chi’s character back at the forefront for at least an episode. We’ve only seen 1 ep this season. As far as anyone knows, we have at least 23-24 left to go. I’d bet Chi has a really good storyline somewhere in those 23-24 eps (whether or not he wrote it).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix comma placement in a sentence.
  • Love 1