Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lantern7

Dr. Stone

Basics: Two high school kids -- one being a brainiac, the other a loveable oaf with unlimited stamnia -- wake from a stone slumber and set about rebooting humanity. Here's the first episode in a nutshell:

Yuzuriha: I'm here by this tree, Taiju. What did you want to tell me?

Taiju: That I lo- . . . crap, weird lights are turning me into stone.

[approximately 3,700 years later]

Senku: Hey! Looks like the big oaf is finally up! I've been using my manga-level smarts to keep myself alive!

Taiju: How did you know the date?!?

Senku: I basically counted seconds while I was stone. What part of "manga-level smarts" did you not understand?

Taiju: So we're the only two people alive?

Senku: [peeking at the opening credits, stuck at the end] Probably not. But, right now, we're gonna be the Adam & Eve of this new Stone Age!

Taiju: Wait, I didn't know you swung that way. Or any way-

Senku: I regret saying that out loud. New anime . . . GET EXCITED!!!

Taiju: . . .  pause?

Senku: DAMMIT!

I got the first two volumes of the manga from the library. One teeny bit from the first chapter got cut out, and I'm spoiler-texting it.

Spoiler

Donald Trump, turned to stone in the Oval Office. Or at least a Caucasian-looking guy closely resembling him.

Man I love Bochi's work and am glad that something is finally getting animated, although most of his other work is much more adult and probably couldn't make it onto TV well without a high parental warning.  I also love that in most of his works he focuses on something and really goes into detail about it, in Dr. Stone it's the science, in some of his other work it's food and I have never had a manga make me so hungry before!  Anyway I am super excited this is on Adult Swim now so I don't have to be lazy and try to find it online...

Anyone else watching this one?  Only at ep 1 so far but I plan to catch up shortly.  

I love that we’re going to Robinson Crusoe this whole thing, but I can’t help suspect the brainiac is somehow the cause.  

I'm on volume 3 of the manga. The last episode was in the middle of the middle, with the story on what Senku did after "waking." The phrase "naked shiny monkey" should be a thing.

Interesting that Tsukasa was billed as a primative, but he's not at all dumb. Also, he's voiced by Ian Sinclair. He also does Whis on Dragon Ball Super, so I was surprised.

43 minutes ago, lathspel said:

I love that we’re going to Robinson Crusoe this whole thing, but I can’t help suspect the brainiac is somehow the cause.  

Senku seemed as shocked as anyone else. My question is how Yuzuriha's metal headband stayed intact after being revived.

Checking to see if anyone else is watching. I'm about one manga volume ahead of the anime, and I can say that the story is pretty compelling. And we haven't gotten to what Tsukasa has been doing.

Also: I got this chibi sketch of Suika last weekend at Anime NYC. I still have references printed out for Senku and Tsukasa.

suika.jpg.73781df8406994c1c55c8c2c0e935cde.jpg

I finally caught up and I’ve been really enjoying this one.  It seems like each episode answers one question but raises a couple more.  
I am getting a little worried about Tsukasa, but I guess he’s big enough to take care of himself.  

Is anyone else watching? It’s been a good mix of Senku leveling up and him finding out how his father helped found the village some 3,700 years in the past.

I'm still watching and started reading the manga again, although I noticed it more in the manga (because reading it obviously) I also noticed last night Gin started using a few words in pig Latin and I can't remember when or why that happened.......

This is basically Dr. Stone:

Tsukasa Warriors: Ha ha! We're attacking the village! And since there's a storm, you can't use firepower this time!

Senku: [cocky grin] You're correct. You got us dead to rights, ten billion percent. But guess what we just made?

[Science Kingdom Fighters pop out of nowhere wielding . . .]

Senku: Katanaaaaaaaaaaaaassss!!!!!!

[celebratory airhorns sound off]

Senku: And airhorns. We made airhorns for this moment. Just because.

Gin: [to Suika] That's Senku . . . always so ocky-kay!

Suika: WHAT???!!!??? THIS NEW MELON DIDN'T COME WITH EAR PROTECTION!!!!!!!

And now . . . CELL PHONES! Reading that in the manga, I was taken aback. But how will he create useless apps and games?

Edited by Lantern7

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And now . . . CELL PHONES! Reading that in the manga, I was taken aback. But how will he create useless apps and games?

How far are you in the manga?  I am now caught up and doing the impatient wait every week or so when it comes out....which sucks.....

On 1/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, TigerLily20 said:

How far are you in the manga?  I am now caught up and doing the impatient wait every week or so when it comes out....which sucks.....

I got the ninth volume from the library.

Watched the show tonight. Every time that one kid talked about spelunking it made me think of Spelunker Sensei.

Welcome back, @Sandman87.

I don't know how many more episodes are left, but we're building to a few events that are shown in the credits.

Senku: Okay, so me and Chrome are going spelunking to acquire tungsten. I'll need a third person for the trip.

Kohaku: I need to train people for battle!

Kinro: I will go if I am needed.

Ginro: No thanks! I'm good here!

Senku: I dunno . . . if you stay, you might start shoving light bulbs up your ass.

Ginro: (outraged) HEY!!! (thinking for a bit) Wait . . . I can do that?!?

Gen: That's an image I'll never get out of my ind-may!

Kaseki: I ain't makin' anything for the butt! Unless you need me to. Then I can probably knock that out in about a day. I LOVE CRAFTING!!!!! (clothes explode from his old, muscular body)

Edited by Lantern7

Bumping up because the finale is this Saturday. The first season will probably end before the heavy shit starts up. I advise reading the manga if you can. More characters, more Senku using science, and more unlikely 21st Century technologies coming to the Stone World.

Oh, and I got this sketch at a small con a few weeks ago. Not a bad likeness, right? I got references for Tsukasa and Chrome, and I might print up stuff for Kohaku and Gen next.

Senku.thumb.JPG.f8250f9a7ebd6f417018a11ee8d97974.JPG

Edited by Lantern7

I really enjoyed this season. I called the “we’re going to need another cell phone” way earlier.