Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Stone - General Discussion

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

Basics: Two high school kids -- one being a brainiac, the other a loveable oaf with unlimited stamnia -- wake from a stone slumber and set about rebooting humanity. Here's the first episode in a nutshell:

Yuzuriha: I'm here by this tree, Taiju. What did you want to tell me?

Taiju: That I lo- . . . crap, weird lights are turning me into stone.

[approximately 3,700 years later]

Senku: Hey! Looks like the big oaf is finally up! I've been using my manga-level smarts to keep myself alive!

Taiju: How did you know the date?!?

Senku: I basically counted seconds while I was stone. What part of "manga-level smarts" did you not understand?

Taiju: So we're the only two people alive?

Senku: [peeking at the opening credits, stuck at the end] Probably not. But, right now, we're gonna be the Adam & Eve of this new Stone Age!

Taiju: Wait, I didn't know you swung that way. Or any way-

Senku: I regret saying that out loud. New anime . . . GET EXCITED!!!

Taiju: . . .  pause?

Senku: DAMMIT!

I got the first two volumes of the manga from the library. One teeny bit from the first chapter got cut out, and I'm spoiler-texting it.

Spoiler

Donald Trump, turned to stone in the Oval Office. Or at least a Caucasian-looking guy closely resembling him.

Man I love Bochi's work and am glad that something is finally getting animated, although most of his other work is much more adult and probably couldn't make it onto TV well without a high parental warning.  I also love that in most of his works he focuses on something and really goes into detail about it, in Dr. Stone it's the science, in some of his other work it's food and I have never had a manga make me so hungry before!  Anyway I am super excited this is on Adult Swim now so I don't have to be lazy and try to find it online...

I'm on volume 3 of the manga. The last episode was in the middle of the middle, with the story on what Senku did after "waking." The phrase "naked shiny monkey" should be a thing.

Interesting that Tsukasa was billed as a primative, but he's not at all dumb. Also, he's voiced by Ian Sinclair. He also does Whis on Dragon Ball Super, so I was surprised.

43 minutes ago, lathspel said:

I love that we’re going to Robinson Crusoe this whole thing, but I can’t help suspect the brainiac is somehow the cause.  

Senku seemed as shocked as anyone else. My question is how Yuzuriha's metal headband stayed intact after being revived.

Checking to see if anyone else is watching. I'm about one manga volume ahead of the anime, and I can say that the story is pretty compelling. And we haven't gotten to what Tsukasa has been doing.

Also: I got this chibi sketch of Suika last weekend at Anime NYC. I still have references printed out for Senku and Tsukasa.

suika.jpg.73781df8406994c1c55c8c2c0e935cde.jpg

I finally caught up and I’ve been really enjoying this one.  It seems like each episode answers one question but raises a couple more.  
I am getting a little worried about Tsukasa, but I guess he’s big enough to take care of himself.  

I'm still watching and started reading the manga again, although I noticed it more in the manga (because reading it obviously) I also noticed last night Gin started using a few words in pig Latin and I can't remember when or why that happened.......

(edited)

This is basically Dr. Stone:

Tsukasa Warriors: Ha ha! We're attacking the village! And since there's a storm, you can't use firepower this time!

Senku: [cocky grin] You're correct. You got us dead to rights, ten billion percent. But guess what we just made?

[Science Kingdom Fighters pop out of nowhere wielding . . .]

Senku: Katanaaaaaaaaaaaaassss!!!!!!

[celebratory airhorns sound off]

Senku: And airhorns. We made airhorns for this moment. Just because.

Gin: [to Suika] That's Senku . . . always so ocky-kay!

Suika: WHAT???!!!??? THIS NEW MELON DIDN'T COME WITH EAR PROTECTION!!!!!!!

And now . . . CELL PHONES! Reading that in the manga, I was taken aback. But how will he create useless apps and games?

Edited by Lantern7
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And now . . . CELL PHONES! Reading that in the manga, I was taken aback. But how will he create useless apps and games?

How far are you in the manga?  I am now caught up and doing the impatient wait every week or so when it comes out....which sucks.....

On 1/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, TigerLily20 said:

How far are you in the manga?  I am now caught up and doing the impatient wait every week or so when it comes out....which sucks.....

I got the ninth volume from the library.

(edited)

Welcome back, @Sandman87.

I don't know how many more episodes are left, but we're building to a few events that are shown in the credits.

Senku: Okay, so me and Chrome are going spelunking to acquire tungsten. I'll need a third person for the trip.

Kohaku: I need to train people for battle!

Kinro: I will go if I am needed.

Ginro: No thanks! I'm good here!

Senku: I dunno . . . if you stay, you might start shoving light bulbs up your ass.

Ginro: (outraged) HEY!!! (thinking for a bit) Wait . . . I can do that?!?

Gen: That's an image I'll never get out of my ind-may!

Kaseki: I ain't makin' anything for the butt! Unless you need me to. Then I can probably knock that out in about a day. I LOVE CRAFTING!!!!! (clothes explode from his old, muscular body)

Edited by Lantern7

Bumping up because the finale is this Saturday. The first season will probably end before the heavy shit starts up. I advise reading the manga if you can. More characters, more Senku using science, and more unlikely 21st Century technologies coming to the Stone World.

Oh, and I got this sketch at a small con a few weeks ago. Not a bad likeness, right? I got references for Tsukasa and Chrome, and I might print up stuff for Kohaku and Gen next.

Senku.thumb.JPG.f8250f9a7ebd6f417018a11ee8d97974.JPG

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

Anyone see the new season premiere on Toonami? We're getting closer to the Stone Wars, with Senku re-inventing freeze-dried food and Gin planning on using Lillian Weinberg's record to fool Tsukasa's forces into thinking that the United States is back in operation and sending help to Japan. It's underhanded stuff . . . but it's from Gin, so par for the course from him. The effect of him transforming into Lillian was creepy and funny.

ETA: Oh, and I got this sketch today. Here's the artist. I had to explain the scars of those that woke up in the Stone World, and he did a good job with the references I gave him.

tsukasa.jpg.a16e58d97bbb91df04eb64eaec19f8e0.jpg

Edited by Lantern7

Anyone else watching? Senku won over strongwoman Nikki with the Lillian recording. Fun to watch Senku and Gin sweat over Nikki's fangirl questions, as well as Senku trying his very best to get the answers.

Looking at Wikipedia . . . how is it that we don't get 24 episodes for this season? If you're watching on Toonami, I think are only 2-3 more episodes left. Hang on . . . pasting this here:

A sequel to the TV series was announced after second season's final episode aired

I would hope. Maybe "Stone Wars" got clipped when it did because there's a lot more source material to work with. I've read ahead several volumes in the manga. Without spoiling, I will say that there is a lot of great stuff waiting to be animated.

Is anyone here watching? The Kingdom of Science wound up winning the battle for the cave with the Miracle Fluid, but then Tsukasa and Hyoga jumped in like bosses to shake their opponents. It's been a fun arc, especially with Chrome using science to escape imprisonment and the KoS building a friggin' tank. Even with the limitations of that world, it's still impressive.

Dr. Stone returns to Toonami this June! Sounds like they weren't able to get the OVA Dr. Stone: Ryusui, though. Make sure to watch that before you watch season 3, it takes place between seasons 2 and 3, introduces a new character, and sets up the events of season 3. It's available on Crunchyroll.

Looking to see if anyone else has been keeping up. Ryusui is a pain in the ass, but he's oddly endearing. Hard to root for a guy who cops to being greedy, but he's greedy for all the right reasons. It's a pity that Tsukasa is under deep freeze, because you know he'd just hate Ryusui.

I consider this to be the official unofficial song of the third season:

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Looking to see if anyone else has been keeping up. Ryusui is a pain in the ass, but he's oddly endearing. Hard to root for a guy who cops to being greedy, but he's greedy for all the right reasons. It's a pity that Tsukasa is under deep freeze, because you know he'd just hate Ryusui.

It kind of helps that he's voiced by Cliff Chapin using his Bakugou voice. (I met him at Anime NYC a few years back, his natural voice sounds completely different, it was kind of shocking)

56 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

It kind of helps that he's voiced by Cliff Chapin using his Bakugou voice. (I met him at Anime NYC a few years back, his natural voice sounds completely different, it was kind of shocking)

Right? “KILL YOURSELF, SENKU!” At least Ryusui has more calm moments.

I should catch up on the manga. I cleared the arc showing now, and I had just started the next one. Always fun watching Senku and his friends level up. I wonder if they had to ask permission to use the Minecraft visuals.

On 6/3/2021 at 7:45 PM, Lantern7 said:

Anyone else watching?

Just started tuning into this show.  Very fascinating and much better than the swill we've been getting from Hollywood lately.

It's been running Saturday nights on Adult Swim and I'm doing everything I can to keep up.  So far, a very compelling story!

I decided to sign up at crunchyroll just to take in this show.  I freaking love it!!

I have no clue why this isn't as popular as other shows that were released around the same time like My Hero Academia et al.  It's a compelling story with great characters and makes even the most passive person interested in science and how things work.  One thing I love is how the stakes are high, and not everything goes the way the folks at the Kingdom of Science wants them to.  It's realistic in how the science and progress builds upon itself.

Not to mention the philosophical questions this show inspires!  Would you be able to do what Senkou did if YOU were the one to wake up after 3700 years?  Would you make the same decisions he did?  Was Senkou right about trying to bring everyone back and make things more or less as they were - or was Tsukasa right when he wanted to limit who to bring back?

I saw a recent story that the final season of the show will be released within a year or so - which is supposed to wrap up the story (which includes Senkou's plans to go to the moon to find out about Why -Man).  

So when they repetrified Tsukasa, why didn’t the people who had their hands on the Medusa all get petrified too? They could have just set a longer time delay and walked away from it. But it’s like they didn’t even consider that they should have been petrified too.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:16 PM, desusperius said:

So when they repetrified Tsukasa, why didn’t the people who had their hands on the Medusa all get petrified too?

I wondered about this too (did the manga mention it?  I hadn't read it but I'm seriously thinking about getting it).  My guess it it was the device being almost out of juice and therefore a very limited range.

My question however was how Senku was able to wear that stun gun device (specifically, the battery plate taped to his chest) without being noticed!  He was knocked off the cliff with Tsukasa and dragged him to shore before facing Hyoga and he wouldn't have had to time to either carry it with him or put it on ahead of time.  The stun gun scene was worth it though!!  

I've been watching the show a few times and still enjoy the hell out of it!  Each time I notice something different I had missed the first time around.  Some of it has to do with spotting Senku's emotions.  In Episode 6 when he digs up Taiju, you see a closeup of his eye.  It has that look that says, "I'm so glad to see you buddy! " before he puts his cool science user face on and starts claiming how sick he was of his face and how 3700 years was a nice break!  Does anyone else think that Senku's desire for manpower (a legitimate need) was second only to wanting to revive Taiju because he needed a friend/company in Stone World as well?