Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Thrown from the Ride

I still can't get over Aria running right back to Ezra when it's only been what? a week in Rosewood time? since she discovered his betrayal. It's pretty sad if Aria feels she has nowhere else to go, especially with Emily practically begging Aria to lean on her. It just goes to show how successful Ezra was at isolating her from her friends and family.

• Love 1

Can someone explain the whole recording thing Ali had and what she was trying to make the girls lie about? I completely and totally did not understand any of that.

Where is Caleb? I miss that cyber teen wolf and Hanna is inching towards needing help if she's going back to shoplifting.

Um, no. No one who isn't a psychopath could handle killing someone. 

In fact, if Aria wasn't having a bad reaction to this. The "Aria is A" crowd starts looking right. 

It is unfortunate that it seems to be a tool to get her right back with Ezra. I'm surprised they'd do that though, with the crap people gave the show. (It had to be bigger than the audience that still likes Ezria.) 

She might as well have a turn being fake A, that's how much the reveal actually amounts to with all the cop outs.

LOL Now I've got this image of a sign-up sheet. Mona with her clipboard. "No, sorry Mrs. Hastings, it's not your turn to be A until next Tuesday. But wait, with Shana dead I think I can fit you in this Friday if you'd prefer". "Ezra, you've been A for four days straight. Let someone else have a turn!"

• Love 6
LOL Now I've got this image of a sign-up sheet. Mona with her clipboard. "No, sorry Mrs. Hastings, it's not your turn to be A until next Tuesday. But wait, with Shana dead I think I can fit you in this Friday if you'd prefer". "Ezra, you've been A for four days straight. Let someone else have a turn!"

While across the quad, Ian and Ezra are having a callout for the Sexual Predators Club.  Free pizza after your first stalking victim!

• Love 2
(edited)

This most recent episode totally reaffirmed my suspicions that have been brewing since the first season:  that Veronica Hastings knows or did something very, very bad.  I always have thought that she has as much motive as anybody to hate the whole DiLaurentis clan, and be seriously freaked/pissed by Ali's knowledge of Mr. H's affair with Mrs. D.  I mean, V has lived next door to her husband's love child for two decades--that's some time to nurse a twisted grudge. 

So, I totally read Veronica's haggard appearance and stress in this episode as signs of her mental agitation over her guilt, and saw this episode as the first blatant foreshadowing that Veronica Hastings has significant and sinister involvement somewhere in the DiLaurentis Drama.  She can't sleep, she gets lost in thought, she's displacing her stress onto the landscaping project (hello, wanting to literally cover any reminders of her crime), AND she casts suspicion onto her husband while trying to steer Spencer away from suspecting Melissa is being her usual shady self.  This is totally "The Tell-Tale Heart": the story of the man who goes crazy with guilt, imagining he hears the beating heart of the dude he murdered and buried under the floor boards in his house.  I mean, people on this site are suggesting that her trip to the "spa" might be code for Radley.  I don't know if she's in the psych hospital or not, but I do think her spa-cation has to do with trying to prevent herself from snapping from the strain of some kind of guilt--either over Ali's disappearance and murder attempt, Jessica's murder, and/or the murder of the unknown dead girl in "Ali's" grave.  Veronica told Spencer she feared her husband did something to Jessica in an effort to protect Spencer, and maybe Veronica herself did something drastic out of some desperate desire to protect one or both of her daughters.  I think Mrs. H certainly knows more about Jessica's death (or at least the reasons she might be murdered) than she has let on as of yet.   

One more potential clue to support my Mrs Hastings is in it to her neck because of her cheating husband theory:  Shana's copy of The Scarlet Letter, Hawthorne's classic novel about a woman cast out of her Puritan community for adultery who has to wear a scarlet A on her chest.  I read this as a pretty big sign that the whole A thing is connected to the Hastings-DiLaurentis neighborly adulteries and rivalries.  When Aria flips through the book, the underlined passages read: "It is a curious subject . . . whether hatred and love be not the same thing at bottom. . . each leaves the passionate lover, or no less the passionate hater, forlorn and desolate by the withdrawal of his subject."  Obviously Mrs. H still somehow loves her unfaithful husband, or at least loves the life she has with him and their Hastings perfect family society status; but I'm thinking she also kinda hates him, and Jessica, and Jason--and probably Ali for trying to blackmail them about it or at least torment Mrs. H with her bratty insinuations and unneeded reminders of her husband's infidelity.  

One thing about my theory I still haven't worked out: why would Mrs. H torment high school girls, and especially her daughter, I cannot begin to rationalize.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 2

I can't believe y'all find Andrew hot. He like Toby has a nice body but if they had Noel's face with their bodies then I'd say either one is hot but as it is they are both butter faces to me. lol I'm just ok with Toby because Troian seems to have better chemistry with Keegan.

I don't think any of The Hastings did anything that night. The writers just seem to always use them as red herrings because they are connected to the Dilaurentis. If anything I think Mrs. H was at the wrong place at the wrong time and Melissa saw her looking guilty right next to the dead girls body thus Melissa thinking her mom killed someone. I think the writers are using this story line to distract Spencer in my opinion.

Aria being paranoid about Shana was cool while it lasted. It of course brought her and her child predator back together. Blah cakes.

Hanna, my poor Hanna going back to stealing. Did hanna steal as Hefty Hanna or did this started happening when she became Queen B Hanna? Its like the writers are mixing up both Hefty and Queen B Hanna and we get whatever this Hanna is. lol

It took me a while to realize that Ali's scar might be from when she tried to kill Aria. So could the guy could be Noel too but I'm not sure the writers even remembered what happened in last weeks episode let alone 3 seasons ago. I'm ok with the Liars ignoring Ali. Spencer and her have a very complicated relationship not to mention she thinks someone in her family killed Ali's mom so it makes sense. Aria ignoring her is just Aria being Aria. She's stuck in a romcom verse with her former teacher. As for Emily, how could you blame her for ignoring her? She was Emily's first love and now she's back she's afraid to get close to her again. I get Ali has probably went through stuff but as far as I'm concerned I only what the Liars went through. Ali could be lying about everything and that's what I find so fascinating about her. I don't know if I should trust her or punch her because of all the people she screwed over including her so called friends in the past.

As for Paige and Emily way to go Paige on not letting that turd Mona bully you into something you don't want to do. She became even more awesome by warning Emily about the group while protecting those who were Ali's victim. As far as I'm concerned she's the only love interests to even do anything that remotely helped the Liars even if Emily is to stupid to realize it but Paige ended up helping her get Ali to come back.

The Liars makes me mad when ever they say A is dead. How many times they thought someone was A but ended up not being A at all? I get that they want to believe that just because Ali is back everything is back to normal not to mention they haven't gotten any A text but seriously girls? My paranoid ass would forever think A is alive.

My posts is extremely long for an episode that was just another filler. Yikes.

(edited)

Aria being paranoid about Shana was cool while it lasted. It of course brought her and her child predator back together. Blah cakes.

That's what made it not cool and Ali propping him up only makes it worse.

The Liars makes me mad when ever they say A is dead. How many times they thought someone was A but ended up not being A at all? I get that they want to believe that just because Ali is back everything is back to normal not to mention they haven't gotten any A text but seriously girls? My paranoid ass would forever think A is alive.

I'm so sick of them saying this, the writers aren't fooling anyone, the characters are just too brain dead to even realize this.

Edited by FAU
Did hanna steal as Hefty Hanna or did this started happening when she became Queen B Hanna?

As far as I can remember, Hefty Hanna was never shown shoplifting in flashbacks. My guess is that Queen B Hanna started shoplifting because Ashley couldn't afford the designer clothes she needed to maintain her Queen B appearance.

Hanna, my poor Hanna going back to stealing. Did hanna steal as Hefty Hanna or did this started happening when she became Queen B Hanna? Its like the writers are mixing up both Hefty and Queen B Hanna and we get whatever this Hanna is. lol

I think since Alison is back and Caleb left her for other girl (at least in her mind he did), Hanna is scared that she is going to turn back into Hefty Hanna.  By shoplifting she is trying to be proactive and turn herself back into Queen B Hanna, not realizes she should just try to be Emotionally Stable Hanna.  That or Alison coming back threw Hanna into an identity crisis and she is grasping at straws trying to find something to make herself feel emotionally safe.  Either way it makes sense that Hanna does not perfectly fit into one of her previous phases.

Didn't Hanna & Mona shoplift together in some of the first episodes? I got the impression that it was something that Mona got her into.

Yes, it was a Mona/Hanna thing, and most likely Mona is the one who got her into it. And it is probably more for the rush than anything. Like an eating disorder it can be (not always, but can be) a way to take control of something. Hanna's life is pretty well out of her control so she might fall back into stealing, better than her falling back into bulimia, to try and exert some control of her life. But, this being PLL, it's probably just either a) a reason to create drama with a boy or b) something A can use against her since we all know, no matter how many times Emily says otherwise, that A is NOT in fact gone. It was surprisingly nice of them to actually remember Hanna was a shoplifter though. I mean, that was WAAAAAY back in ep one. I didn't think the writers memories went back that far.

Andrew is really annoying. Why does everyone hate Toby? Honestly, he and Spencer are much better together in my opinion! Um just because they didn't show Toby apologizing to spencer about being A, doesn't mean he didn't do it. They clearly worked out their issues at one point because Spencer said, in season 4, "what happened to never keeping secrets again?". So, they agreed not to keep secrets after 324. At least Toby did what he did for Spencer, while Ezra did all that to Aria because he's a creep...