Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Thrown from the Ride

With Ali now back in Rosewood, she attempts to regain the role of leader of the group, but she finds her four friends are not as willing to blindly follow her every whim as they once were. Besides feeling the pressure from Alison, Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer are also feeling under the microscope at school with the high school focusing their attention on the Liars. While most kids are morbidly curious about what happened to Ali, some are more focused on planning for Ali's return to school. Meanwhile, Aria's depression continues to spiral, and she looks for comfort from an unlikely source.

Promo:

Preview clip:

(edited)
Meanwhile, Aria's depression continues to spiral, and she looks for comfort from an unlikely source.

Looks like Aria's depression took a holiday in the 'Surfing the Aftershocks' episode, but now it's coming back and she's starting to lose it again.  Oh  noes !!!

In 'Whirly Girly', it looked like she was going to have to spend some quality time in the mental hospital a la Spencer.  But that mania completely dissipated during her quality time with Ezra and Mrs. D's funeral in the previous episode.  How are they going to explain that away.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

At the end of the previous episode, Hanna explicitly said that she didn't want the same shade of blonde hair color at the salon but in the promo for this episode you can see that her hair is the same color. All she did was cut it shorter and add some black streaks. Does that mean she's emulating the old Aria? Will there be poetry and old black and white movies and photography and art classes in Hanna's future?

"Cause of death? It was murder. Duh!" Never change, Hanna.

• Love 1
Meanwhile, Aria's depression continues to spiral, and she looks for comfort from an unlikely source.

Please don't let it be Ezra. Their scenes either put me to sleep, make me roll my eyes, or gross me out.  I hope she seeks comfort from his brother. That will teach the little perv for going after too young girls.

All she did was cut it shorter and add some black streaks.

Which is a shame because Hannah's hair actually looked nice in these first few episodes. 

• Love 2

Please don't let it be Ezra. Their scenes either put me to sleep, make me roll my eyes, or gross me out.  I hope she seeks comfort from his brother. That will teach the little perv for going after too young girls.

Which is a shame because Hannah's hair actually looked nice in these first few episodes. 

So predictable.

Y'all know it'll be Ezra. Instead of giving Emily/Aria a scene to continue bonding over being killers they need to remind us that Ezra and Aria are truest of love even though he's stalked her and friends, had a relationship with return from the dead Lady Stone Heart and decided to date her even after knowing her age because Lady Stone Heart lied about her age and she was his muse.

• Love 3
(edited)
All she did was cut it shorter and add some black streaks.

Ahhh, so true! She has looked gorgeous these first three episodes, better than she has looked since her short hairstyle in season 3 and I'm sorry to see it go. I'm holding my judgment on the black streaks until I see them properly on screen but I wish Hanna had done something more extreme, like red hair or something.

Here's hoping Aria bonds with Jenna or Mona or someone else actually unlikely for her to bond with.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

I agree that her hair was looking great so far this season. At first I thought Ali was deliberately pointing out how similar the two of them looked so that she could later do something and blame it on Hanna. But now I wonder if she was just trying to get Hanna to stop looking like her because Ali just likes to feel special.

So does Hanna's new hair on the show mean that Amber Benson's real hair has finally been deemed suitable enough for the show? I just remember those awful wigs they made her wear last season, so if shorter hair with black streaks is what it takes to keep her out of bad wigs, so be it.

I think Hanna's new haircut looks cute. I'm not sure about the black streaks yet since the preview only showed a few snippets, but ITA about the red. I would have loved if Hanna had colored her hair a beautiful auburn or red (think Julia Roberts, Isla Fisher, Joanna Garcia) or even a dark strawberry blonde (more like Amy Adams).

Yeah Hanna just made it easy for Ali to get right back to who she was before. I wonder if they'll have her ED come back. I want to because it be good to give Hanna/Ashley a good story line on the other hand Hanna is my girl and I don't want Ali or Mona screwing with her head.

(edited)
Yeah Hanna just made it easy for Ali to get right back to who she was before. I wonder if they'll have her ED come back. I want to because it be good to give Hanna/Ashley a good story line on the other hand Hanna is my girl and I don't want Ali or Mona screwing with her head.

I would like to see Hanna dealing with her ED again mostly because it was only brought to attention in S1 and remained on the subtext ever since (with the show making subtle comments about Hanna binging or not eat at all). The scene in the funeral home where Ali stares at a painting and then rushes to the bathroom made me wonder if she was purging and Hanna knew it. Also, later she decides to just drink coffee and not eat anything so I'm thinking her ED will come back in some way (text or subtext).

• Love 1
So does Hanna's new hair on the show mean that Amber Benson's real hair has finally been deemed suitable enough for the show?

Awesome typo, EB. :D

now I wonder if she was just trying to get Hanna to stop looking like her because Ali just likes to feel special.

I didn't find Ali's reaction mean or excessive. She came back and now people mistake Hanna for her. They are teenagers. In real life, there is drama over wearing an identical shirt at the same time. Ali just made a comment - it reminded Hanna of her Hefty days, but that's because of Hanna's insecurities and identity crisis. And her identity crisis is definitely not due to Ali's manipulations, but Mona's. Until Ali makes more pointed comments and/or outright tells Hanna to find her own style, I'm not attributing any intent to Ali in this storyline.

(edited)
I didn't find Ali's reaction mean or excessive. She came back and now people mistake Hanna for her. They are teenagers. In real life, there is drama over wearing an identical shirt at the same time. Ali just made a comment - it reminded Hanna of her Hefty days, but that's because of Hanna's insecurities and identity crisis. And her identity crisis is definitely not due to Ali's manipulations, but Mona's. Until Ali makes more pointed comments and/or outright tells Hanna to find her own style, I'm not attributing any intent to Ali in this storyline.

I have literally been browsing through the forum and thinking back to that scene given it has caused a lot of people to say Ali is back to her shit already, so i'm so glad I found your comment because it's exactly how I feel. I really didn't think Alison saying she and Hanna used to be easier to tell apart was that big of a deal either. I get why Hanna might be oversensitive and she's entitled to her feelings but that doesn't mean Alison was being mean. I've had more issue with Spencer constantly correcting Hanna than Ali's comment, to be honest (but not very much, I just find it annoying sometimes).

I don't think Ali was thinking "Muahaha, I'm going to turn Hanna into a quivering pile of insecurities" when she said it but I do think it was more than just a comment she casually let out. Ali and Hanna have always shared the same general characteristics that could lead to a stranger mistaking one of them for the other, with the exception of weight. So when Ali, the girl who introduced Hanna to purging (1x13 - Know Your Frenemies), makes the comment that "It used to be easier to tell us apart", it sort of feels like "...because you used to be fatter" is the unsaid implication. I think that scene was actually a great way to show how naturally passive aggressive Ali is and how her behavior sort of insidiously affects the Liars. There was no smirk to set up this mean girl bon mot she was about to toss out, just a seemingly innocuous comment that coincidentally hit a raw nerve. A lot of people have often wondered why the Liars stayed friends with someone who seemed to treat them so horribly according to their flashbacks and it looks like the writers might be attempting to show just how subtle Ali's manipulations are. 

• Love 3
(edited)

It was funny how the girls were talking about monsters and then the next shot is of Ezra. Either one of the directors is not too keen on him and Aria getting back together, or they are still hinting that Ezra's a bad guy. (Probably the second. Not because he might actually be bad. But because the show likes to keep it's options open.) 

I'll give Ezra this...he treats Aria better than Toby treats Spencer. Yes, he was a creep borderline abusive boyfriend but definitely controlling boyfriend. However, at least he's groveling and trying to make it up to Aria and admits he was wrong. Toby was such a dick and continued to blame Spencer and never apologized for what he did. They are both awful excuses for boyfriends, but Ezra one ups him. (At this point, I'm really just Team Sparia. Just drop the guys. Also go team Emison. And Haleb. Because Caleb's the only man that any girl should ever let within a 20 feet radius in that town. ) 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 4

I was so hoping that Spencer would take Andrew up on his proposition. I'm totally Team Spencer/Hot Andrew. 

Also, Hanna was super unresponsive at Lucas being back in town. Granted, I don't know how long it's been in Rosewood Time since he's been there, but you'd think she would have had more of a response to him standing right in front of her. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Re: Hanna's hair, I didn't think those were streaks. From the back it looked like the bottom underneath layer was dark with sort of blonde cap on top of it.  Kind of hideous actually. I liked her hair better in the earlier eps too. Although she does look cute with a shorter haircut too.

This ep just bored me. Maybe I am finally growing out this show. Last season was so disappointing & I was especially disgusted with the retcon of Ezra, so he's a good guy now?

That lady singer in Shana's funeral vid gave me an earache. I do hope they pick up the pace in upcoming episodes. I felt like taking a nap during what we've seen so far.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1
Multi-camera online video streaming of funerals -- is that a real thing ?

There was a chick in a hat in the front row.  Were we supposed to notice this?  Or just notice Aria's escalating insanity?

Man, I haaaaaaaate to bust on women's looks, but I just can't with the new swimmer and those lips.  It's like the fish saxophone player in Under The Sea.

God, Hanna, grow a brain.  Alli is making you memorize some recording and won't tell you where that scar came from?  Tit for tat, bitches!

• Love 1

So once again we have an episode where not much happened, but I can't seem to help myself from loving every minute (except for the Ezria scenes, fuck that).  I don't know if it's because Alison's return has given the show enough of a fresh feel for me to enjoy the other four Liars again or if its just because I had the longest day at work and I needed an escape to the absurd universe that is Rosewood.  Either way I am happy.

By far the most interesting part of this episode is Alison.  I can't figure out if they want us to think that she could be A  or not.  On the one hand, she almost signed a text message A, which could just be an old habit or a clue, who knows.  Also she is really quick to lie about what happened to her and to force the other girls to lie for her, but knowing Alison there are a million possible secrets that she could be trying to hide, so I have no idea.  On the other hand, she seemed to be legitimately upset about what happened to her, so much so that she kept crying after her father left her bedroom.  Where ever they take the character, I don't feel too bad.   I am pretty sure the final scene was meant to make us question Alison's intentions. She could have either been scared of what will happen when she goes back to school, sad about how much she hurt people, or happy/angry because she was planning to hurt everyone who posted something nasty about her.

As for Hanna's new hair, Aria said it looked good, therefor Hanna made a huge mistake.

What was with the Lairs, with the exception of Hanna, avoiding Alison.  I get that they have their own issues, but whatever exactly happened to Alison was probably pretty traumatic and they are her friends, so I think that should suck up their problems and try to be there for her.  Plus can it really hurt to kept tabs on the girl who keeps pulling lies out of her ass.

As I implied before, I was ok with Aria until she showed up at Ezra's.  Seriously how could her lying, manipulative, borderline abusive ex-boyfriend help with what she is going through.

Spencer and Emily are just lucky that I like their characters, because they really didn't do much of anything this week.  Though Spencer got Hot Andrew to come back.  She gets a cookie for that.

Lastly it looks like Mona and Alison are going to fight next week.  I give it a ninety percent chance they just exchange slaps, glare, threaten each other, and then walk away.  The other ten percent is that one or both of the girls snap and they actually seriously beat on each other.  Personally I hope for the latter, not because I am dying to see a cat fight, but more because I am tired of the Lairs doing nothing when someone blatantly threatens or lies to them.  Seriously after everything these girls have been through, I am surprised none of them have tried to beat the crap out of Mona or someone else already (and Spencer back in season 3 doesn't count, she was officially crazy).

• Love 2

I am over the Aria “I killed Shana” show, watching her watch a video over & over is not riveting TV, & I’m tired of her whining about it.

Why aren’t the liars demanding that Ali tell them the whole story? They still don’t have a clue as to what went on the past 2 years & the whole poor Ali thing is wearing very thin. I would have the bitch by the throat until she told me exactly what the hell went on.

So is it Hanna's turn to have a breakdown now? She's back to the shoplifting, we all know she's going to get caught.

Another episode where nothing happened.

• Love 1

Anyone else wonder if Ali's old stab wound was from Aria on the Halloween train?

Blah Ezra and Aria. I was hoping they would show Ezra punch a wall or knock over a lamp after Aria decided she wouldn't spend the night. I think Ian Harding is on my team and is still hoping Ezra is a baddie.

Oh Hanna, if you are going to steal a shirt you could pick a less ugly one. I'm pretty sure I wore that in 1994. I hate seeing Hanna falling back into her old bad habits. Pretty soon she'll be purging too.

Mr. H killing Jessica seems too obvious. I bet he is a red herring. Mrs. H disappearing to the "spa" was odd. I wonder if spa was code for Radley.

• Love 1

For once, I agreed with Aria (believe me, it's rare) - they should have kept Shana's book to look through it for clues. On the other hand, public schools have to provide books for the students which means it's very likely that Shana was not the only one who used that copy of The Scarlet Letter so any of the previous users could have underlined those passages.

Haha, so Alison signs her text messages with her name? That seems like something an old person like my mom would do, but not something that a teenager would do.

When Ali said she wanted a sandwich, I was convinced that she was going to climb out the window just to avoid the medical exam. I really hope she was crying because she feels so guilty lying to her dad, not just because she is afraid she would get in trouble with the police when she finally went for her exam.

Who the hell is Kayte (or Kaylie?) and why does the message board inside Spencer's locker say that sheis the best? And why does her name change to Kyla in the last shot of the scene where Spencer is talking to Andrew? I love that this guy wanted to see if she was okay and her response to that was to conscript him for yardwork.

Ezra confirmed once again that he is the worst English teacher in the world. "Although, this experience has been anything but pleasant"? Dude, that isn't even an optional Oxford comma. That is just BAD GRAMMAR.

Aria is a total idiot (as if her hat wasn't a total dead giveaway). Doesn't she know better to accept chat invitations from screennames she doesn't know? Don't engage! I just can't with her crying while watching Shana's funeral. Girl, she was going to KILL YOUR FRIENDS. Would you rather be crying about losing Hanna or Emily or Spencer? For the record, who uploads videos of funerals? That's just weird.

I loathe that Ezra is being painted as this saintly guy who is there for Aria in her time of need. I don't care how nice he's being now. He still befriended an underage girl and started dating her as research for his book. He will always be gross to me.

Hanna was not being very smart this week either. Even if she trusts Lucas, doesn't she know better than to leave all her stuff out on the table and walk away in a public place? At least face the table to make sure no one is going through your purse or stealing your laptop. I mean, I wouldn't leave my stuff like that and I haven't had a homicidial maniac torturing me and stalking me. And must she revert back to her shoplifting and eating disorder?

I was wondering how it was that Emily who was totally in love with Ali completely ignored her calls and texts from Friday during school until after Ali went for her exam on Saturday, so I'm glad that Aria brought it up. Emily's contribution to stupidity this week was first inviting Paige to join her and Sidney (sorry, my rule of thumb is that when you know someone is in love with you, it's mean to get their hopes up by letting them hang out with you "as friends") and then not bothering to turn her head to see Mona after Paige got quiet at lunch.

I hope that Poor Man's Mariska Hargitay returns from Radley/the spa. We already lost one of the PLL's moms so I hope Veronica isn't the next one.

According to Spencer's internet search, Rodenticide is odorless, tasteless, and fatal to humans. So it's iocane powder and the Dread Pirate Roberts killed Jessica?

• Love 1
(edited)

I am seriously concerned about Hanna, you guys. She's reverting to old behaviors and state of mind since Ali's return. Where the hell is the only true man Rosewood has ever seen, Caleb? He needs to come back and pull Hanna back from the edge, and reunite with her because they are The Awesome. I do like that we're seeing characters again that we haven't seen in a while like Hot Andrew, Lucas, etc.

Unfortunately I drifted off again a couple times last night so I'll have to rewatch but has Paige still not told Emily about Mona's little side project of gathering Ali haters together to make her life a living hell (again)? That Sidney girl is uber annoying and is obviously a plant. Shana's funeral seemed as annoying as she was in life.

[Anyone else wonder if Ali's old stab wound was from Aria on the Halloween train?]

Ah, good catch. Total spec here but (and I have not read the PLL books or spoilers about them) but could there actually be TWO Alis running around for real? That one sentence got stuck in my head, about why Ali pushed and pushed onto Hanna the fact that all of the Liars had to listen to Ali's recording, memorize it to cover their asses blah blah, but then didn't bother mentioning it to Emily or any of the other Liars. This show makes my head hurt.

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Love 1

The thing that made me think there were two Alis running around this week was when Spencer told Hanna that she was with Ali earlier and she never mentioned the recording that all of the girls were supposed to memorize.

Maybe later Hanna will figure out that there are two of them when she sees the other Ali and she doesn't have that scar on her leg.

When Emily said that they finally had what they wanted (no more A and Ali back), I noticed Spencer kind of looked away so I'm guessing she only wanted to be rid of A but she didn't want Ali back (I feel like Emily is the only one who really wanted her back). But later when Spencer found Alison looking at those websites, she seemed very sincere when she told Ali not to look at them.

I know we have had Emily and Aria bonding over killing someone, but it was kind of sweet in a really warped way to see Spencer and Alison bonding over what it's like to think you parent has done something terrible.

I'm glad that Veronica brought up the dead girl who everyone thought was Ali. Apparently she's the only one who cares since the police don't seem to give a crap. They're too busy watching for people carrying shovels. That's a crime, damn it!

Obviously I need to shop at better malls. Hanna had a huge dressing room and a billion pieces of clothing in there! Normally when I go to the mall, the dressing room is the size of a portapottie and they only let you take like three items in at once.

Hanna, if you're going to insist on shoplifting again, at least steal cute stuff. That crushed velvet crop top with the zipper down the middle with the high waisted flowered skirt was not worth of getting busted for shoplifting. Remember in the very first episode of the show, she brazenly stole some fancy sunglasses from the department store? That Hanna had more sense (fashion and otherwise).

I don't know if it will hold, but I do think they were at least trying to make the viewers think that there are two Ali's.  I like the theory that the scar is from Aria on the train, but I also think Ali #1 might have been so freaked out about that and the appointment in general because something would indicate that she's not actually Ali.  I don't wan this show to go with the Ali has a twin thing, but I totally think they eventually will.  Every time I hope they'll do something interesting and different from the book, they end up going right back to the predictable book plot in the end.

My current theory is that Mrs Hastings actually killed Jessica D.  Spencer is trusting in her mother and scared of her dad, but then she'll find out it was actually her mom and she'll freak out.

Given what we've seen of Veronica, I could see her killing Jessica to protect Spencer but I don't know why she would bother to tell Spencer that story to make her suspect that her dad did it. Heh, maybe Veronica still had some pent up anger about Jessica/Jason. Interesting that Veronica is "at the spa" and Jason is "out of town" again. I love how this show just ships people off left and right. Damn it, that almost makes Mona's comment about Shana going to school in Georgia just as Ali returns insightful for the rest of the show.

Who came up with that story about Shana going to Georgia anyway? I just find it hilarious that apparently Shana had no other friends in Rosewood who would try to text/email/call her and be concerned about not getting a reply. We're really supposed to believe that the only people she talked to were Jenna and Mona? That's about as plausible as Shana being A in the first place. But my point is that in this day and age when everyone is on Facebook and Twitter and there's this thing called google, no one in Rosewood besides Aria bothered to google Shana's name to find out that she's dead.

What a lackluster episode... for the second week in a row nothing really happened.  And would someone please give MK a geography lesson--you do not garden and plant new blooming flowers in Pennsylvania a month after Halloween!

(edited)

Another thing to throw on the "two Alis" theory: In one scene Ali was crying over the website. In another scene it seemed like she was giving it a steely glare. I noticed the difference when watching the episode, but the twin theory didn't cross my mind then.

Although, I think it's highly likely that there won't be a twin. Instead it will be that Ali has a split personality. It lets them do the twin storyline without actually doing it.

Edited by scarletregina
  • Love 2
(edited)

I loathe that Ezra is being painted as this saintly guy who is there for Aria in her time of need. I don't care how nice he's being now. He still befriended an underage girl and started dating her as research for his book. He will always be gross to me.

He's even worse now especially after the useless retconning waste of time and he didn't even give them any important info.  We obviously know it's not Shana anymore and A is obviously not gone like they keep going on about.

Blah Ezra and Aria. I was hoping they would show Ezra punch a wall or knock over a lamp after Aria decided she wouldn't spend the night. I think Ian Harding is on my team and is still hoping Ezra is a baddie.

Poor Ian, he finally had something worthwhile to do and then the writers took that away from him and he got stuck with this same old, boring waste of time bs.

Seriously, bringing him into the Liars' circle has done nothing for the character and he gave them nothing important after all his stalking.

Edited by FAU

Agreed. I used to be on edge with this show and now I'm wondering if it's losing it's overstaying it's welcome. I know there is sort of a mystery still but the mystery we have now is not good at all. It doesn't keep my interest; I find myself doing other things while the show was on not caring if I miss things. Maybe bringing Ali back into the fold was a bad call.  

There's not much to care about, even the mysteries.  Even if there's another A reveal, it'll be another fake out and the Lairs are constantly suspecting people that turn out to be obvious red herrings.

There's only so much you can drag this out, let alone 7 seasons of it and all Ali has done so far is do a scared victim act which already got old by episode 1/2.

• Love 1

The thing that made me think there were two Alis running around this week was when Spencer told Hanna that she was with Ali earlier and she never mentioned the recording that all of the girls were supposed to memorize.

I had a similar thought, but I think that scene was more to show that Ali is making Hanna do her dirty work for her and Hanna isn't standing up for herself.  Probably, she thinks the other girls will be upset with Hanna but will give in eventually, as opposed to if Alison gave them the recording herself, there is a good chance one of the other girls, most likely Spencer, would put her foot down and refuse.

Also while I am definitely one of the fans who likes to nitpick looking for twin theory clues, I can't see both twins having been in the past couple of episode.  The main reason is, one of the twins would have to be sneaking in and out of the house without any noticing her, or both twins would have to be living in the house and one twin just hides when the liars come over.  Either way, its seems a little impractical even by this show's standards.  Don't get me wrong, the thought of former queen bee Alison and psychotic twin Alison both running around Rosewood, possibly even stuck in the same house together, is awesomely bizarre, but again I can't see even this show going there.

Ali said something about not being the same person she was two years ago – another allusion to the twin/split personality theory.

I know everyone is discussing Hanna’s hair but Spencer’s hair looked odd in this episode – I think she was wearing a wig.  I could tell b/c the wig was thicker than her own hair, especially when she wore the pigtails.  Maybe she’s changed her hair for a role?  I’m always on wig alert when I watch my shows and find them terribly distracting. 

At least we know Shana is really dead although I could’ve done w/o Aria’s morbid obsession with her.  Aria was annoying in this ep but at least she rethought sleeping at Ezra’s but you know she’ll be back with him by the end of the season.

Where the hell is the only true man Rosewood has ever seen, Caleb?

He’s back next week, with a brand new haircut.  I saw the picture in US Weekly – there’s an interview w/Tyler Blackburn. The article says that Hanna isn’t happy to see him after their break-up but that they both are in dark places and need each other, something to that effect.

• Love 1
I know everyone is discussing Hanna’s hair but Spencer’s hair looked odd in this episode – I think she was wearing a wig.  I could tell b/c the wig was thicker than her own hair, especially when she wore the pigtails.  Maybe she’s changed her hair for a role?  I’m always on wig alert when I watch my shows and find them terribly distracting.

To be fair, in this instance I think that it was just a deep waver which was used rather than tongs or a straightener. And I find wigs ridiculously distracting too.

Haha, so Alison signs her text messages with her name? That seems like something an old person like my mom would do, but not something that a teenager would do.

I was thinking the reason for that was that Ali was so confused as to why Emily wasn't responding to her texts and phone calls that she was hoping that maybe Emily just didn't have her number programmed into her cell and so didn't know it was Ali. It was interesting to see Emily avoiding Ali in this episode, and I was glad Aria brought up the elephant in the room to her, whether she still has feelings for Ali. (Duh.)

On a related note, would someone please shove Paige in front of a car already? She's my least favorite character out of everyone. If they don't want to have another dead lesbian after Maya and Shana bit it, fine, have her start at Stanford early. Just get her off this show. I was thrilled when Emily booted her to the curb and I'm not enjoying this "let's be friends" awkward crap. Just GO, Paige!

This show needs a new A to start up with torturing the girls, immediately. I didn't realize just how entertaining that kept things.

• Love 1
(edited)

Anyone else wonder if Ali's old stab wound was from Aria on the Halloween train?

That would be interesting. I'm starting to wonder if Alison is actually Big A. Why she would attack the Liars like this? Because she's bored? Who knows with her. She's got the free time, and we all know she can be in many places in a day. If she had access to Granny's trust or whatever, she'd also have the money. And she's the only one I can imagine being obsessive and disturbed enough to do it. Well, that's not entirely true, there are actually a lot of obsessive and disturbed people in Rosewood, but she's the one who had the most free time. LOL

I had a lot of time this ep to get up and pee or get snacks because every time Ezzzria came on I got up and did anything else. They really can bring any ep to a grinding halt.

I, too, thought Spencer's hair looked like a wig. It seemed thicker at the forehead area, which just looked...off. Not sure how I feel about Hanna's hair. I love the cut. I think that's a super cute cut for Ashley B. but the black underside...eeeh. There's a chick at work who has that hair, only hers is not nearly as subtle and I think it's hilariously bad and just...why?

My first impression when I saw it was that Hanna was trying to go goth but wasn't quite getting it. Hated the scene of her in the dressing room. If you're going to risk getting arrested at least pick something flattering.

Oh, and I wonder what is up with Sydney. Possible new love interest for Emily? The plot device that will bring Emily and Paige back together (dear god I hope not!)? OMG, maybe she's A!!!!!I mean, why not? Everyone else has been. I just don't have a clue where that story is going? Pulling Emily away from the girls? What?

Edited by Mabinogia

What the hell, Show?  You have Hot Andrew toiling away in the yard all day and you don't have him take a shower at Spencer's house and walk into her bedroom wearing nothing but a towel?  Or at least take his shirt off and run the garden-hose over his head and torso?  What The HELL, Show??

Multi-camera online video streaming of funerals -- is that a real thing ?

I'd like to know too.  I can see doing that with a wedding video so people who couldn't attend get a chance to see the happy occasion, but a funeral... that's just morbid.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, plenty of real-life funerals get televised (and streamed) - famous figures and heroes - so I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that in this age of putting everything online some people have started putting up videos of their own loved ones' funerals.

Edited by Black Knight

I'm more sympathetic to Aria's breakdown than I was to the last few Spencer breakdowns or Hanna's recent breakdown. ("OMG I look like Alison. That's just horrible.") She killed someone. Despite the fact that it was in protection of her friend's, she still did it. And it wasn't even in defense of herself like Emily's was. That's more traumatizing than "my boyfriend of three months who has a total right to hate me and my friends is the one torturing us." Or "My family thinks my crazy ass is crazy." or "OMG I look like every high school Queen Bee that has ever existed. After I wanted to be a Queen Bee." I was actually a little disappointed with the show for not going into it as far as they should have with Emily. It actually says a lot about the show that fans are like "oh Aria..all you did was kill something. It's Rosewood that's normal. Get over it." 

And the irony is..paranoid Aria is about the only smart liar we've had in a while. "Mona knows" "You're being stupid Aria." Really? Because it isn't like Mona spent the better part of the year stalking them, video taping them, and bugging them...and thus knowing everything about them. It's not like she has uber spy powers. "Maybe there's clues in this old book from Shana." "No Aria..we shouldn't examine objects from the girl who took over stalking us." "Someone is still stalking us." "Nah..it's totes over..despite the fact that Shana couldn't possibly be the top A."Really ladies? 

Yeah, but I kind of get why the other Liars are putting their heads in the sand. Shana is dead and now nobody is bothering them. After two years of being stalked and terrorized, they're so desperate for it to be over that they're willing to believe it is when they should definitely be more wary.

(edited)

It's a cool theory but the only problem is Aria stabbed up, through the top of the box, so Ali would have had to be sitting on top of the box that was about to be thrown from the train.  Also the person she stabbed screamed and it really sounded like a man, so it was probably wasn't Ali.

It actually says a lot about the show that fans are like "oh Aria..all you did was kill something. It's Rosewood that's normal. Get over it."

If I blame anyone for the lack of interest in Aria's emotion turmoil over killing Shana, its the writers.  They are doing a decent job of writing her scenes just the problem is that's all her character does now.  If we had maybe a scene or two of this stuff an episode and then the rest of the time Aria was a functional Liar, then I think people would be more sympathetic.  It doesn't help that the writers always handle downward spiral storylines in this way.  Some emotional issue completely takes over a character for like six episodes and then is never mention again.  Spencer literally went from type A personality to drug addict to recovering drug addict in six episodes.  I know that she was technically relapsing but it doesn't change the fact that the whole storyline felt really rushed and this story arc to be shaping up in the same way.  There is also the problem that many people consider Aria the most annoying Lair, and the writers seem to be using the storyline to redeem Ezra which seriously isn't cool.

Edited by superman1204
  • Love 1

I also think many of us have a habit of tuning Aria out because 90% of her story has been Ezra throughout the series. Even her downward spiral sends her to Ezra's to play card games. I'm surprised they didn't eat pie and watch old movies. Aria's depression about Shana looks like Aria being Aria to me.

• Love 5

There is also the problem that many people consider Aria the most annoying Lair, and the writers seem to be using the storyline to redeem Ezra which seriously isn't cool.

That's also my problem with Ali since she's also used to prop him up as well, which is already annoying with her scared victim act.

(edited)
Hanna's hair, I didn't think those were streaks. From the back it looked like the bottom underneath layer was dark with sort of blonde cap on top of it.  Kind of hideous actually. I liked her hair better in the earlier eps too. Although she does look cute with a shorter haircut too.

I'm pretty sure I saw Ashley Benson mention the dark streaks are clip-ons! I liked the new hairstyle better than I expected, the lengh especially. Hanna does look great with shorter hair. I miss her bleached very short look from the first half of season 3.

Also, Hanna was super unresponsive at Lucas being back in town. Granted, I don't know how long it's been in Rosewood Time since he's been there, but you'd think she would have had more of a response to him standing right in front of her.

I thought that was strange too but I think I'm failing to remember something important. What I do remember is that Hanna learned Lucas was being blackmailed by Mona to do her biding thus Lucas was a lot more aware about the girls' troubles than he ever let on and probably caused some of them so that would cause some strangeness and possibly some hostility from Hanna's part but than non-reaction was weird.

I was so hoping that Spencer would take Andrew up on his proposition. I'm totally Team Spencer/Hot Andrew.

I ship Spencer with anyone but Toby at this point. Andrew gets more and more adorable every time he appears.

I'll give Ezra this...he treats Aria better than Toby treats Spencer. Yes, he was a creep borderline abusive boyfriend but definitely controlling boyfriend. However, at least he's groveling and trying to make it up to Aria and admits he was wrong. Toby was such a dick and continued to blame Spencer and never apologized for what he did. They are both awful excuses for boyfriends, but Ezra one ups him.

That's sadly very true. Although Ezra acted very unrepetent after Aria discovered the truth about him up until the finale. And then after he was shot we got this change in attitude. Toby never acted contrite about anything.

What was with the Lairs, with the exception of Hanna, avoiding Alison.  I get that they have their own issues, but whatever exactly happened to Alison was probably pretty traumatic and they are her friends, so I think that should suck up their problems and try to be there for her.  Plus can it really hurt to kept tabs on the girl who keeps pulling lies out of her ass.

Yeah, I'm pretty torn about this situation. On one hand, I can't help but feel for Ali because she's clearly traumatized and wish the girls were there for her more out of basic human compassion. But on the other hand, she was a pretty toxic friend to them and, for the last few seasons, these girls have grown to pretty much hate her memory so I get the impulse to cut ties with such a person and I also don't feel like they actually owe Ali anything. 

I do believe they're doing a great deal of avoiding. Avoiding demanding for Ali to tell the whole story and avoiding confronting Ali about the person she was before. I get they're all on unsteady ground but it would take only one of them to put their foot down about the lying (ideally Aria, whose the one who has more to lose, for once) and flip a table or something.

When Emily said that they finally had what they wanted (no more A and Ali back), I noticed Spencer kind of looked away so I'm guessing she only wanted to be rid of A but she didn't want Ali back (I feel like Emily is the only one who really wanted her back). But later when Spencer found Alison looking at those websites, she seemed very sincere when she told Ali not to look at them.

Definitely! Those scenes were great! Spencer has been so good this season I'm afraid of getting attached. I get the feeling the person who wrote for her in the first couple of seasons went to Ravenswood and is now back!

On another note, paranoid!Aria was an unexpected treat and the video of Shana's funeral sent me in a fit of laughter everytime Aria played it. Aria is such a little child to me. I can't take her seriously at all. Why yes, go spend the night with your lying, stalker, abusive ex who you confessed something to which he could use to trap you to him for the rest of your life. That's a wonderful idea, Aria, good luck!

Also, more of Emily and Aria bonding over killing people please! Did we see Nate's mom sending Emily a package and her obsessing over it? That sounded really familiar.

Was I the only one bothered that the doctor who examed Ali was a man? Not unrealistic, I don't think, but surely it would have been a lot more appropriate for her to be examed by a woman especially being a minor and victim of a crime and all.

I seem to be in minority about liking the new girl and her friendship with Emily. Also the scenes between them and Paige were great and I also appreciated Paige pointing out to Mona the obvious.

I am in utter and complete denial about anything Ezria and I'll be suspicious of Ezra until this show is over and done and beyond that. Thanks for the games, you creep. Same for Toby.

• Love 1

Cuddling, it bothered me too that the doctor was a guy. It was actually kind of offensive/abusive. Typical Rosewood PD though. Why send a girl who was kidnapped and possibly abused/raped to a female doctor? Maybe a male doctor will freak the more information out of her.  I was relieved when we didn't have to see even a hint of a pelvic exam.

• Love 1
(edited)
I'm meh on the Aria storyline probably because like everybody else I knew it would lead back to Ezra's apartment and his arms. I mean.. come on, this situation is just a way for her to need Ezra. The other liars will be there for her but not as much as Ezra will because he loves forever and ever! Bleh. I'm more into Hannah changing her look. Which is how boring this episode was. I would rather watch someone DYING THEIR HAIR! Dear Show, what the HELL happened to you?

The whole thing is just absurd. There's absolute no reason she should be hanging out with Ezra outside of the fact she still has feelings for him which, if she had the least bit of sense, she'd learn to ignore after what he has done. It's Spencer and Toby all over again, basically.

Stuff like this just makes me grateful for Hanna who rightfully made Caleb work ten time as hard to gain her trust after not doing even a tenth of what Toby and Ezra have done back in s1/s2. Never change, Hanna.

Poor Ian, he finally had something worthwhile to do and then the writers took that away from him and he got stuck with this same old, boring waste of time bs.

I wonder who he pissed off because they've basically gave him hope for a worthwhile storyline and now have taken it away and things are actually worst for him. Once upon a time all he did was be a manchild who froliced with Lucy Hale. Now he looks like a hobo while being three times as gross as he previously was and the closest thing to getting some action with Aria is playing checkers while listening to her talk about being a murder and making that sound boring. Good Lord.

(edited)

Yes. That part of the storyline is gross. Like I said, I'm just going to live in denial and keep noticing "Ezra is still evil" clues. Big reveal at the end! (Black Widow is his mother!) But I think things like Aria being paranoid and thinking Mona knows (although, that's not paranoid, that's likely accurate.) Her watching the funeral over and over again. Bonding with Emily. Feeling guilt. That's a good storyline and it is long overdue for Aria to have some major stress. It would be nice though, if it didn't go back to Ezra. 

Also, I thought the clues quite obviously build up to Melissa being the one to kill Mrs. D. She came home early. She's dating Wren (access to pills). She's the one who has a secret. I mean, this could be a complete red herring, but that's what the show has shown us so far. (And typically, when they are about to make a reveal, they make it obvious.) 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 1

If Aria hadn't spent 99% of the series on her own show with the world's most boring pederast then she'd be able to handle killing someone. But she was absent while her friends were stalked and tortured, so she gets upset when something happens to her. And, with that in mind, her story this episode still centered around Ezra. The show will never change.

• Love 1

Um, no. No one who isn't a psychopath could handle killing someone. 

In fact, if Aria wasn't having a bad reaction to this. The "Aria is A" crowd starts looking right. 

It is unfortunate that it seems to be a tool to get her right back with Ezra. I'm surprised they'd do that though, with the crap people gave the show. (It had to be bigger than the audience that still likes Ezria.)