Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: I'm Sorry

Snookums
  • Start Topic

Micah and Keke's plans for prom are derailed; Charley tells Jacob Boudreaux a shocking secret; Darla pleads for Ralph Angel's forgiveness; Violet tells Hollywood there's something she needs to do to release her past.

Original  air date 2019.08.28

Oh, so Nova is back in the family fold and everything is all good now? 🙄 Or at least it is with she and Charley. Talk about undeserved forgiveness, especially seeing Darla still struggling from Nova's self-serving book. 

Nova got Calvin ready to move back after giving he something he could feel. I am impressed even tho I still don't forgive her for what she did to her family.

Ralph Angel being honest to Deesha that he is still in love with Darla... and Deesha knowing she deserves better than to play second fiddle was a good scene.

Charley asks a lot of Jacob without giving him anything. It isn't that she *has* to give him anything, tbh. It is just weird that she demands so many things from someone she says she doesn't like or trust. 

• Love 9

Vi showed tons of restraint; I could not be in the same room with the woman who triggered a past trauma. With that said, I am not here for this redemption arc Nova's getting, but with season's wrapping up, I guess they want to end this storyline. 

I don't know how I feel about Jacob's announcement. I'm glad he denounced his family's racist past, I don't trust him--he gave in too easily. I'm worried Charley may have overplayed her hand again.

Ugh, I'm so disappointed Ralph Angel and Dasia(?) are no more; but not surprised. 

• Love 6

Ugh at the RA/Darla stuff. Deesha dodged a bullet. RA's been ok this season but he generally acts like a petulant child. Deesha deserves better and so does Darla,even if she can't see it.

It was so refreshing to see the children refer to adults as Mr. And Ms. That kind of etiquette is lost in most circles these days. 

I hate that "Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 yrs?" crap,  especially when its asked of and by teenagers. They have no clue what life is going to throw at them. Micah's friend group is annoying. 

Loved Vi's absolute shade in ignoring Nova. Hate that Vi is dealing with her next week. Ugh.

• Love 9

So Nova and Charley are back on good terms. 🙄 I don't think it'll be as easy for Nova to get back in Vi or RA good graces but with this show and how it's wrapping up for the season they'll be hugging and kissing and crying in the season finale. 

5 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I hate that "Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 yrs?" crap,  especially when its asked of and by teenagers. They have no clue what life is going to throw at them. Micah's friend group is annoying. 

Ugh same. It's so much unnecessary pressure. It's bad when parents and teachers do this and when they hear our ideas, especially if it's really lofty, not one say, "Let's be real here. Can you really make this happen and if so, how?" Or toss in possible scenarios that could happen while trying to achieve our goal or a backup plan in case  we change them.

Micah's friends' goals are great but really lofty and not achievable in the time frame they have in mind. Micah has a better chance at succeeding at whatever he does because he doesn't have a plan now. He'll figure it out as he go along. 

Micah and Keke made the right decision. They are not ready and it may be best to break up. They only got back together because of the fire at the mill and not over resolving the issues going on between them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

Micah and Keke made the right decision. They are not ready and it may be best to break up.

They're also going to different schools far apart. Lots of high school sweethearts break up. Doesn't mean it was any less real.

9 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Ralph Angel being honest to Deesha that he is still in love with Darla... and Deesha knowing she deserves better than to play second fiddle was a good scene.

It was. She's a good woman. I liked how when RA told her about Darla's relapse, she was right in there with concern. 

2 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

So all is forgiven and Nova is welcomed back to the bosom of the family? No nope not buying it. 

I hate it.

1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

Micah's friends' goals are great but really lofty and not achievable in the time frame they have in mind. Micah has a better chance at succeeding at whatever he does because he doesn't have a plan now. He'll figure it out as he go along. 

Nope. The one who wants to open urgent care clinics - does she want to be a doctor? Because she won't even be finished her training in ten years. But it's nice that they have big dreams. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I liked how when RA told her about Darla's relapse, she was right in there with concern.  

Me too. Even though she saw the writing on the wall between herself and RA, I liked that she was genuinely concerned for her health.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MyGiddyAunt said:

Harvard?  Really?

Every rich kid (TV and real life) has to go to an Ivy League school 🙄 even though it's known not all are qualified and don't have to go to one to get a good education and have a successful career. 

• Love 5

Do writers not know that colleges other than the classic Ivy's exist? I mean, I know these writers do because they mentioned Tulane, but it feels like Micah is going to Harvard just because its a fancy school that people have heard of. When has Micah even had that much time to study, do extra curriculars, etc. it seems like he has mostly been doing activist stuff and worshiping his Aunt Nova. I cant even think of the last time we saw him doing homework! Even for a rich kid with a famous family, thats a really hard school to get into, you   really need to be fully committed to school, and thats never really been Micah's thing.  Maybe the activism helped make him stand out? What does he even want to major in?

So now Nova is back in the fold, or at least near the crease, which I just refuse to buy at all. I wonder how RA and Darla will feel about seeing her show up again, or what she will say during her next big press tour, will she just keep talking shit about them even as she tries to ask for forgiveness? Gonna cash all those checks and walk down more fancy staircases? At least Vi is there to still throw that shade, she is clearly not ready to forgive and forget. As she shouldn't!

Sad to see RA and Deesha split, but I love that she knew that she deserved better than being second choice. Honestly, Deesha can do better anyway. So can Darla actually, even though RA has been a lot better this season than he has been. Or maybe all of my annoyance has just been moved from RA to Nova! 

This is sure a risky play with Jacob, he really is a wild card, its hard to tell where he will land. He told the big family secret and is denouncing their racism, supposedly because he doesn't want to do this, but what does he get out of it? Does he really just want to avoid this job?  Do the right thing and stop his evil family? Is Charlie just that charming? Or does he have some other agenda that Charlie has no idea about.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This is sure a risky play with Jacob, he really is a wild card, its hard to tell where he will land. He told the big family secret and is denouncing their racism, supposedly because he doesn't want to do this, but what does he get out of it? Does he really just want to avoid this job?  Do the right thing and stop his evil family? Is Charlie just that charming? Or does he have some other agenda that Charlie has no idea about.

Jacob and Charley have a strong enough chemistry to keep me interested in their scenes but I get the impression TPTB aren't sure which direction they want Jacob to go. 

• Love 8
On 8/28/2019 at 10:10 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Nova got Calvin ready to move back after giving he something he could feel.

😂 Why are you like this?  *cue Aretha Franklin* 

Charley asks a lot of Jacob without giving him anything. It isn't that she *has* to give him anything, tbh. It is just weird that she demands so many things from someone she says she doesn't like or trust. 

I have convinced myself that Charley likes Jacob but doesn't want to face the implications of it.  She was so petulant with him at the diner.  He seems to be the only adult male, besides Prosper, that respects AND accepts her as is.  I mean, he can't singularly atone for what his family has done, or racism in general.  Yet, she seems to expect him to. 

I'm like, "Girl, just go ahead and further dilute that awful bloodline...do your part and get you some lovin' too. Reparations, sis!" 

6 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Jacob and Charley have a strong enough chemistry to keep me interested in their scenes but I get the impression TPTB aren't sure which direction they want Jacob to go. 

Agreed.  I think the show wants to capitalize on the actor chemistry, but they've written themselves into a corner.  I rolled my eyes at the "reveal," although it is a callback to what his mother said about the men in the family.       

I really liked Erica Tazel on the show, and wish she could be around longer.  I don't expect to see her again, or beyond this season.  Even with no Darla in the mix, she seemed too mature for Ralph Angel.  Her reaction to Darla's relapse reaffirms my wish that she was introduced as a friend to her, not Ralph Angel.      

I think the Kiki actress is gorgeous, but I had so many conflicting feelings about her prom look.  Loved the color of the dress, but no to the design.  And I HATED the hairstyle, it was too busy.  Otherwise, I ff'd through the teenager scenes.   

14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So now Nova is back in the fold, or at least near the crease, which I just refuse to buy at all.

Not the crease!    

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

😂 Why are you like this?  *cue Aretha Franklin* 

I have convinced myself that Charley likes Jacob but doesn't want to face the implications of it.  She was so petulant with him at the diner.  He seems to be the only adult male, besides Prosper, that respects AND accepts her as is.  I mean, he can't singularly atone for what his family has done, or racism in general.  Yet, she seems to expect him to. 

I'm like, "Girl, just go ahead and further dilute that awful bloodline...do your part and get you some lovin' too. Reparations, sis!" 

Agreed.  I think the show wants to capitalize on the actor chemistry, but they've written themselves into a corner.  I rolled my eyes at the "reveal," although it is a callback to what his mother said about the men in the family.       

I really liked Erica Tazel on the show, and wish she could be around longer.  I don't expect to see her again, or beyond this season.  Even with no Darla in the mix, she seemed too mature for Ralph Angel.  Her reaction to Darla's relapse reaffirms my wish that she was introduced as a friend to her, not Ralph Angel.      

I think the Kiki actress is gorgeous, but I had so many conflicting feelings about her prom look.  Loved the color of the dress, but no to the design.  And I HATED the hairstyle, it was too busy.  Otherwise, I ff'd through the teenager scenes.   

Not the crease!    

Nova may be back with Charley for now, but has still has to face RA and Vi , feel the wrath. Vi won't be so forgiving. Interested to see her confront Jimmy Dale next week.

25 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Oh, thanks for the reminder.  That whole ensemble was like the '80's threw up on her!  My dad went to Tulane, so for a minute there I had to be Team Keke/Nova and it was rough. 🙂

I wonder how much of Micah we'll see when he's away at college.  I'm not really looking forward to any story line having to do with his adventures on campus.  I'm kind of surprised the writers didn't have him going to Tulane so that he'd be nearby.  They could have sent Keke somewhere else, especially if they plan to have her and Micah eventually break up.

• Love 1

I think the main problem with Nova's reconnecting with her family is that it happened all too quickly to be believable. With this episode I kept getting the feeling that there were several missing episodes, and Nova's helping Charlie home from the bar would not have been enough to earn forgiveness for such a serious wrong done by her book.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

My dad went to Tulane, so for a minute there I had to be Team Keke/Nova and it was rough. 🙂

I know right? My mom, husband, grandfather, & FIL all went to Tulane for undergrad, my mom also went for medical school, my FIL for law school, & and my grandfather played football for them. I'm ok being Team Keke (I'm totally neutral on her even though I hate the teen stories), but a big NO to Team Nova. I got a laugh out of the girl who was going to have a chain of urgent care clinics by the time she was 27-28. Yeah, no. My husband was just finishing up his residency at that age. 

I like the characters Darla & RA together, even though the actors have no chemistry, but am heartbroken that he & Deesha broke up. I really liked the character & thought she would be good for RA. Their relationship was a grown-up one IMO. RA better not forgive Nova after seeing the effect her book had on Darla. But he will.  As will Darla. SMDH

ETA: Unless my wish has come true & the show has decided to cut the teen stories, I predict Micah will decide to either take a gap year at home (ala Jr on Blackish), or stay local for school. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Jacob is the only Man in Charly's orbit that she has chemistry with.

The sexual tension is off the charts.

At first I thought he just wanted to bed her.

But I think he's caught serious feelings for Charly.

Like mentioned  above, Sis is in denial about her feelings for him.

The Writers should just go for it,   imagine the reactions from both families.

Having those two fall in love and end up together. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Oh, thanks for the reminder.  That whole ensemble was like the '80's threw up on her!  My dad went to Tulane, so for a minute there I had to be Team Keke/Nova and it was rough. 🙂

You're right about the 80s! I think if the dress has been strapless or Grecian style, it would have worked.  I generally prefer her over Micah, so I'm always on her team, heh.       

I'm okay with Nova and Charley reconciling, but I did chuckle at Nova giving Charley advice on her speech.  Charley shooing her away to Calvin so she could practice alone made a lot more sense.   

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Cyranetta said:

I think the main problem with Nova's reconnecting with her family is that it happened all too quickly to be believable. With this episode I kept getting the feeling that there were several missing episodes, and Nova's helping Charlie home from the bar would not have been enough to earn forgiveness for such a serious wrong done by her book.

The pacing this season has felt really off to me. With every new episode I feel the need to look for cues to how long it's been since the last one, which is hard because the timeline around Nova's book alone has been insane. She gave a copy to the family two weeks before it came out then a few eps later she was shortlisted for the National Book Award.

How long has it been since Hollywood beat up Jimmy Dale? Weeks? Months? I have no idea.

• Love 1

I agree with everyone who posted about the quick unification of Nova and Charley. That is not good, nor is it convincing writing. I hope RA, Vi and Darla make her earn her place back in their lives.

I hate the reuniting of RA and Darla. Everything we have seen of these two characters both individually and as a couple demonstrates that they are better apart.  I have really liked both characters this season (first time that has happened) and it is because they were not a couple.

I do appreciate that Deesha recognizes that she deserves better than to be anyone’s also ran.

• Love 2

Guess I'm the UO holder because I loved KeKe's prom dress. And I thought her hair was absolutely beautiful.

Deesha, "It's complicated" is code for "I'll never be fully able to commit to you." That was your cue to start backing away.

Lol, Vi's Party List. More like Vi's About to Put It on Hollywood List. Then Micah broke out his Cherry Poppin' Time List, to no avail.

It took RA two weeks to come clean with Deesha about him and Darla. Ugh. Deesha was classier about it than he deserved, IMO. Whatever, Darla will likely put the kibosh on Blue and Joie continuing to have playdates.

Whoa, Charley was still carrying that audio file of Old Lady Boudreaux letting her bigot flag fly. For what, a rainy day? Oh, wait...

I don't know why but I'm not feeling Calvin so much this time. There just doesn't seem to be much going on there. He's still a fine hunk of man though.

Micah has the luxury of not having to dream about his future. Charley and Davis probably  didn't do him any favors giving him such a cushy life.

Yikes, Jacob is probably going to get assassinated by his own people, putting the family's dirty laundry out there like that.

So does this mean the Landrys are Black now because of the dreaded "one-drop rule"? 😉 I have a feeling Jacob is going to embrace it and make it work for him and Charley will be shocked.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Darla will likely put the kibosh on Blue and Joie continuing to have playdates.

I don't see why she would,  Deesha might (unless that's who you meant) but I hope that Joie is a bridge for Darla and Deesha to be friends.

• Love 1

I don't see why she would,  Deesha might (unless that's who you meant) but I hope that Joie is a bridge for Darla and Deesha to be friends.

I doubt Deesha is interested in being friends with Darla even if their kids are allowed to maintain their friendship. She was gracious about the breakup but I don't think that includes embracing the woman who's largely responsible for it. I also doubt Darla is interested in being galpals with Deesha since to an extent Deesha represents what Darla could've been if she hadn't gotten on the wrong track. I don't think Darla wants the reminder, in human form, in her face.

Plus, I steadfastly believe Darla didn't want to see RA with Deesha long-term and found a way to engineer their breakup just when RA was planning to get officially "serious" with Deesha. Deesha isn't like those around the way girls RA would mess with and who Darla wasn't worried about having to compete with. She's educated, professional, confident, and independent and RA knew he was lucky to be with her.

IMO Darla will never let RA go, not for long anyway. Her addiction and the stuff she's suffered because of it are certainly terrible but I think she's realized that her tragedy is a guaranteed way to pull RA back if he starts to get too far out of reach.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2019 at 7:28 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

IMO Darla will never let RA go, not for long anyway. Her addiction and the stuff she's suffered because of it are certainly terrible but I think she's realized that her tragedy is a guaranteed way to pull RA back if he starts to get too far out of reach.

I hadn't thought of Darla being that manipulative -- I think if she is, it's largely unconscious.  She didn't relapse just because RA was getting serious with Deesha -- there were several other factors that pushed her over the edge.

• Love 3

I hadn't thought of Darla being that manipulative -- I think if she is, it's largely unconscious.  She didn't relapse just because RA was getting serious with Deesha -- there were several other factors that pushed her over the edge. 

Nope, Darla is clearly (to me, anyway) to a degree manipulative. For example, her calling RA late at night when she knew he was likely with Deesha was a test of his priorities and from her perspective RA passed it.

I agree that Darla didn't relapse because of RA's relationship with Deesha but I think it was a major contributing factor. I've seen, up close and personal, addictions being deliberately used to mess with other people's lives and Darla's recent behavior wrt RA has been practically a textbook example to me. RA has his issues too, likely including codependency and enjoying the ego boost of playing Darla's hero. But he and she make a striking couple so...too bad Deesha.

• Love 1