Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond the Pole - General Discussion

• Start Topic

C'mon, where is everyone? This is just wonderful. The dancers are compelling and the inspirational ex-dancer who's supposed to life-coach them off the pole is, well, it's TLC, so in the tradition of Love After Lock-Up & Unexpected, you can imagine the wonder that is Stormy Wellington; I won't spoil it for you cos she's a revelation each time she's on screen.

Bonus appearance in episode 1 by Love & Hip Hop Atlanta's Joc in which he treats strippers with respect and dignity -- hah! Kidding, of course! He treats them like livestock. Another of Carly Red's exes shows up in Episode 3, pretending to be a humanitarian when he's really just setting up a side piece thanks to the show's pimping.

So, yeah, it's depressing, but a lot of it feels real so you root for the dancers (poor Laina) and Stormy is scary-crazy so that's hilarious as long as she doesn't know where you live.

Don't make me watch this alone! Just watch episode 1 until the first commercial break & see if you aren't hooked -- I was, completely. 

• Love 5
On 8/25/2019 at 7:58 AM, TakeAPinotGrigio said:

C'mon, where is everyone? This is just wonderful. The dancers are compelling and the inspirational ex-dancer who's supposed to life-coach them off the pole is, well, it's TLC, so in the tradition of Love After Lock-Up & Unexpected, you can imagine the wonder that is Stormy Wellington; I won't spoil it for you cos she's a revelation each time she's on screen.

Bonus appearance in episode 1 by Love & Hip Hop Atlanta's Joc in which he treats strippers with respect and dignity -- hah! Kidding, of course! He treats them like livestock. Another of Carly Red's exes shows up in Episode 3, pretending to be a humanitarian when he's really just setting up a side piece thanks to the show's pimping.

So, yeah, it's depressing, but a lot of it feels real so you root for the dancers (poor Laina) and Stormy is scary-crazy so that's hilarious as long as she doesn't know where you live.

Don't make me watch this alone! Just watch episode 1 until the first commercial break & see if you aren't hooked -- I was, completely. 

On episode 3, Stormy reminds me of one of those MLM scammers. I thought the dancers acted with a lot more class.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:24 AM, Neurochick said:

I don't know how to feel about it.  Just another show making black women look bad.

Atlanta isn't the only place with strip clubs. 

I remember G String Divas.

It made me kind of uncomfortable to watch. 

It is a hard cycle to get out of because it’s hard to break that instant money mentality. And those I’ve known who do get out end up going back temporarily from time to time when in a financial bind. 
I remember G String Divas too. I’d like to see that again. I wonder where some of the women are in life now. I remember one of the dancers bought an endermologie machine and was using her money to do MedSpa stuff which at the time seemed odd but now twenty years later it’s a huge industry. Everyone’s getting some kind of procedure it seems. 20 years? That went by fast! Wow. 

Another one I remember was HBO’s America Undercover Strippers: The Naked Stages. What I found so fascinating was they showed three stages of a career. The two best friends trying out, beginning their careers, the feature dancer who travels from club to club, then the woman who is aging out of it but has never done anything else. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

It made me kind of uncomfortable to watch. 

It is a hard cycle to get out of because it’s hard to break that instant money mentality. And those I’ve known who do get out end up going back temporarily from time to time when in a financial bind. 
I remember G String Divas too. I’d like to see that again. I wonder where some of the women are in life now. I remember one of the dancers bought an endermologie machine and was using her money to do MedSpa stuff which at the time seemed odd but now twenty years later it’s a huge industry. Everyone’s getting some kind of procedure it seems. 20 years? That went by fast! Wow. 

Another one I remember was HBO’s America Undercover Strippers: The Naked Stages. What I found so fascinating was they showed three stages of a career. The two best friends trying out, beginning their careers, the feature dancer who travels from club to club, then the woman who is aging out of it but has never done anything else. 

Social media and changing attitudes about sex have really altered the way people perceive stripper.

There are plenty of strippers who are killing it

That being said this girl is only 21 and already has a shit ton of cosmetic procedures, which include butt implants and a botched nose job.

I could never stand to be treated the way that man was treating the women in that first episode and the fighting looked totally staged.

I feel like stripping ages you and makes you develop a hard shell at an early age.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

Social media and changing attitudes about sex have really altered the way people perceive stripper.

There are plenty of strippers who are killing it

That being said this girl is only 21 and already has a shit ton of cosmetic procedures, which include butt implants and a botched nose job.

I could never stand to be treated the way that man was treating the women in that first episode and the fighting looked totally staged.

I feel like stripping ages you and makes you develop a hard shell at an early age.

That’s why I wonder where so many on those shows are in life now. If that one I mentioned stuck with the medspa training, she’s probably making more in a day than she did stripping. 

• Love 1
On July 1, 2020 at 2:24 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't know how to feel about it.  Just another show making black women look bad.

I actually thought that although the show itself was exploiting the women, they (except for Stormy) were incredibly sympathetic characters & didn't look bad at all. The men, on the other hand . . . 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, TakeAPinotGrigio said:

I actually thought that although the show itself was exploiting the women, they (except for Stormy) were incredibly sympathetic characters & didn't look bad at all. The men, on the other hand . . . 

I would like to see black women on TV who aren't strippers.  

ETA, I did watch the show.  I think what the show was trying to do, badly though, was to show us, the audience that we say things like, "why can't these women get real jobs."  Many of them  can't even get from point A to point B.  They haven't had the guidance, many of them were not protected as children.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, TakeAPinotGrigio said:

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I would like to see black women on TV who aren't strippers.  

ETA, I did watch the show.  I think what the show was trying to do, badly though, was to show us, the audience that we say things like, "why can't these women get real jobs."  Many of them  can't even get from point A to point B.  They haven't had the guidance, many of them were not protected as children.  

The producers should be ashamed and the reunion was one of the cheapest most ratchet ass things I have ever seen and it still managed to be boring as hell.

• Love 3