Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

The Nevarro News: The Mandalorian in the Media

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

I personally don't think Cara should be recast. Although I liked the character, I think her storyline wrapped up nicely in season 2.  I don't know the plot of season 3, but if it's about Mandalore, I don't really see how she would fit in to the plot line. The one thing I will miss is that she was one of Mando's only friends. They went through a lot together, and she was always there for Mando and the child, so that dynamic will be sad to lose. But maybe some of the new characters can help fill that void.

If they recast it will probably be so Cara can be the lead of the New Republic show since that was the original plan.

I bet Disney’s thrilled she began to self-destruct before the December announcement. 

Edited by Dani

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Dani said:

If they recast it will probably be so Cara can be the lead of the New Republic show since that was the original plan.

I bet Disney’s thrilled she began to self-destruct before the December announcement. 

I am generally opposed to Recasting but, someone mentioned Lucy Lawless as Cara and I can't get it out of my head. 😁

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing annoys me more than hypocrisy and a double standard.  But can't say I'm surprised that Disney continues to excel at both of those.

I don't think there is any upside to recasting Cara Dune.  Mainly because its just a reminder of all the behind the scenes drama and that Disney doesn't exactly have an unblemished track record to fallback on.

Cara is going to be fairly easy to remove from the series and they can just have an existing character or new character form a friendship with Mando over a couple episodes.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

They may not need to do a recast if there really is this rumored time jump.  A character could just say "oh, and Cara was hit by a rock back in blah blah blah - and that would be Cara Dune's epitaph.  Look how they just wrote out a beloved character in this acclaimed sci-fi series because his actor had been very naughty: no muss, no fuss, gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, magdalene said:

A character could just say "oh, and Cara was hit by a rock back in blah blah blah - and that would be Cara Dune's epitaph.

They can take a cue from The Simpsons, perhaps:

 

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, magdalene said:

Look how they just wrote out a beloved character in this acclaimed sci-fi series because his actor had been very naughty: no muss, no fuss, gone.

(Who was that?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

45 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

(Who was that?)

One of the actors from The Expanse, Cas Anwar.  He was fired from that show for sexual offenses against multiple women.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm all for a recast too.  I think Lucy Lawless would be great, but in addition to the other reasons mentioned here, she's about 15 years older than Gina.  She's ageless and could play any role she wants, but I'm not sure there would be much continuity.  I'm sure there's another former-MMA or WWE star out there who can act just as bad - I mean, good - as Gina did and would be a fit for the role.  Maybe one of the Bella sisters? 

It's been suggested that Sonya Deville take over the role.  She's a wrestler, and did MMA so she'd be good at the action, just got to figure out the acting.  She's also only 27, so that's great for the Star Wars franchise.  The only issue is after what happened this summer, would she want to deal with the insanity of some Star Wars fan on top of wrestling fans.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, magdalene said:

One of the actors from The Expanse, Cas Anwar.  He was fired from that show for sexual offenses against multiple women.

Oh, thanks.  I've never heard of him or the show.  When you wrote "this acclaimed sci-fi series" I thought you were still talking about Star Wars. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Oh, thanks.  I've never heard of him or the show.  When you wrote "this acclaimed sci-fi series" I thought you were still talking about Star Wars. 🙂 

The Expanse is very good, I am watching the second season now.  The guy who was recently fired was part of the essemble.  Luckily for me he was fired before I had a chance to get attached to his character.

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

 

I like Cara Dune but I am okay with the character just being gone.  Heck, they could even recast Mando himself and I would probably adjust eventually if I had to.  The only character I really can't do without is Grogu.  Ha, that's my line in the sand, the puppet being gone.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm fine with Cara just getting a brief mention in season 3 (she went off to hunt Imps or something). Cara's story wasn't left hanging at the end of season 2, so I don't see why they can't just focus on other characters.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Gina Carano has announced a project with Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire.

To quote Iago from Aladdin, “I am so surprised. I am going to have a heart attack and die from my surprise.”

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Gina Carano has announced a project with Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire.

To quote Iago from Aladdin, “I am so surprised. I am going to have a heart attack and die from my surprise.”

She’s going to develop, produce and star in the film. Setting aside everything else for a second, I feel like they are seriously overestimating her talent level. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I'm brand new to the show, watching it on and off since the new year. I'm not attached to the character at all, but I like her (and I love Pedro Pascal). Some of my friends are obsessed, and I feel a little weird, because I'm not. I'm with the person who said that they can only picture Lucy Lawless in the role, now that she's been mentioned - I can't think of anyone. I didn't watch Xena, but I've loved her in other things. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I definitely don't blame Disney for pulling the plug on GC, but between the awful fandom-mandated plot points of The Rise of Skywalker and now this, I wish to God that everyone in the entertainment industry would just get the hell off social media already. It's legitimately destroying decent story telling at this point. 

1531282479_.PNG.95dc9dea30cc8156b9ea6eebe11c2cd2.PNG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just going to say that Disney is known as a "family friendly" brand. So I can see, from that standpoint, why that corporation does not want the baggage associated with social media and hot buttons. And any employee in any company - not just Disney, but anywhere - has a code of conduct for employees.

So it comes as no surprise that an employee not living up to those expectations is terminated.

I really never watched Xena save for seeing the occasional clip [as it was some sort of cult hit in the '90s!], but Lucy Lawless does seem to be an inspired choice. She obviously can do action and physical scenes. But she is a lot older than GC, so...I doubt it will happen.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Gina Carano has announced a project with Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire.

If that's the kind of career she wants. Then good riddance. They tried to have her lead a movie before, haywire or something. And she may look the part of an action star but she can't act. Cara worked because it didn't require much and she had limited sceentime.

We may have lucked out at her leading a show. Hopefully they find someone that can act to lead the Rangers of the new Republic. And not just go with another MMA fighter or wrestler. It's too bad they cast Ming-Na as Shand, she could've been an awesome choice as a former rebel fighting during the empire. Now that she won't be awesome on Boba's show. It would've been nice seeing her lead a show though. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

 

20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm just going to say that Disney is known as a "family friendly" brand. So I can see, from that standpoint, why that corporation does not want the baggage associated with social media and hot buttons.

If people think Disney is "family friendly" then they aren't paying attention.  But people tend to not pay attention which I guess is what Disney counts on when they do business with groups that run concentration camps that sterilize women and then thank them in movies (Mulan). Honestly, the most shocking thing about Carano's firing is that they did it in this particular instance when Disney and Pascal had similar baggage that wasn't handled the same way (and Disney's baggage is much worse than Carano's or Pascal's). They had to know that was going to come up.  But this was a leak, right?  So maybe they thought they could spin it.

20 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

I definitely don't blame Disney for pulling the plug on GC, but between the awful fandom-mandated plot points of The Rise of Skywalker and now this, I wish to God that everyone in the entertainment industry would just get the hell off social media already. It's legitimately destroying decent story telling at this point. 

I think Disney and LucasFilm (outside of  Favreau and Filoni) is run by morons that rival the dumbasses that ran NBC late night during both Late Night Wars.  But the Late Night Wars were more entertaining (I'm with Coco) as they played out.  This is just depressing.  The Mandalorian was the one hopeful thing in the Star Wars universe.  And now its kind of tarnished.

And its not so much that Cara Dune is such an integral part of the show that she can't be written out. She's not.  I don't even really need them to explain where she is and what she is doing offscreen. Its just that I like my entertainment to be "escapist" and this shit drags reality into the equation.

I do wholeheartedly concur with wishing everyone would just layoff the social media so I can get through one series without the show I watch being ruined. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I do wholeheartedly concur with wishing everyone would just layoff the social media so I can get through one series without the show I watch being ruined. 

Exactly how I feel. I have been hit the "Mark Read" button a lot lately. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

To get away from the Gina Carano topic for a moment I wanted to discuss Pedro Pascal and how much he is actually going to be involved in season 3 of Mando?   According to the "Deadline" article which first broke Pascal being cast in "The Last Of Us" Pascal "had recently become available for a new series" and he was going to be in "first position"  for "The Last Of Us".  First off, I want to say that "Deadline" is like "Variety" and "The Hollywood Reporter", it's reliable and not a gossip site.  The term "first position" is industry speak and means that "The Last Of Us" not Mandalorian has first dibs on Pascal and his time.  You would think it would be the other way around.  Now, obviously the two shows shooting schedules may not conflict and also Pascal had actually spent very little time on the Mando set for the first season.  However, he was on set a lot more during filming for the second season.  It is curious to me.

What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, magdalene said:

To get away from the Gina Carano topic for a moment I wanted to discuss Pedro Pascal and how much he is actually going to be involved in season 3 of Mando?   According to the "Deadline" article which first broke Pascal being cast in "The Last Of Us" Pascal "had recently become available for a new series" and he was going to be in "first position"  for "The Last Of Us".  First off, I want to say that "Deadline" is like "Variety" and "The Hollywood Reporter", it's reliable and not a gossip site.  The term "first position" is industry speak and means that "The Last Of Us" not Mandalorian has first dibs on Pascal and his time.  You would think it would be the other way around.  Now, obviously the two shows shooting schedules may not conflict and also Pascal had actually spent very little time on the Mando set for the first season.  However, he was on set a lot more during filming for the second season.  It is curious to me.

What do you guys think?

In many ways it make sense for the new project to be in first position because Pedro’s presence on the set is required while he has a lot more flexibility with Mando. 

Plus HBO really needs to get this project moving because it has been in development for a long time. The first two seasons of Mando had a time crunch involved since it was the only Star Wars or Marvel series Disney+ had. Now they can be more flexible if they choose to wait for Pedro to be available. 

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Decades ago Disney distanced themselves from Sarah Polley when she wore a shirt with a peace symbol on it.

I really enjoyed The Last of Us. I don't game but my husband does and I was drawn into the storyline. The relationship between Joel and Ellie was compelling and I am looking forward to seeing Pascal in the role.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/13/2021 at 7:28 AM, Sakura12 said:

They tried to have her lead a movie before, haywire or something. And she may look the part of an action star but she can't act. Cara worked because it didn't require much and she had limited sceentime.

I’m mostly immune to the Star Wars IP, but I watched The Mandalorian S1 for the spouse’s sake. About ten minutes into the actress’s first couple of scenes, I was on google trying to find out what her real day job had been, because it obviously wasn’t acting. Then I had to work hard to keep my comments to myself (the spouse is *not* immune to the Star Wars magic).

(I only heard about this whole thing because a coworker mentioned in slack that anyone with Disney stock should sell, because they were going to take a huge hit over the “Mando controversy”. After I stopped laughing, I had to look up what the controversy even was, and then I laughed some more. Not that the issues involved are funny, just that someone believed that one character in one show in one of Disney’s IPs was going to permanently move the needle on Disney stock.)

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

but Lucy Lawless does seem to be an inspired choice. She obviously can do action and physical scenes. But she is a lot older than GC, so...I doubt it will happen.

I would love to see her too. Maybe have Cara killed off-screen and have her brought in as her older sister or whatever...unless they do a time jump. In that case, Lawless for the recast!

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/14/2021 at 7:04 PM, magdalene said:

To get away from the Gina Carano topic for a moment I wanted to discuss Pedro Pascal and how much he is actually going to be involved in season 3 of Mando?   According to the "Deadline" article which first broke Pascal being cast in "The Last Of Us" Pascal "had recently become available for a new series" and he was going to be in "first position"  for "The Last Of Us".  First off, I want to say that "Deadline" is like "Variety" and "The Hollywood Reporter", it's reliable and not a gossip site.  The term "first position" is industry speak and means that "The Last Of Us" not Mandalorian has first dibs on Pascal and his time.  You would think it would be the other way around.  Now, obviously the two shows shooting schedules may not conflict and also Pascal had actually spent very little time on the Mando set for the first season.  However, he was on set a lot more during filming for the second season.  It is curious to me.

What do you guys think?

I'm not saying that you're wrong, and I do agree that Deadline is usually very reliable, but I read somewhere else - and I can't remember where - that Pedro would finish The Mandalorian and then start The Last of Us.  This was when it was first announced though, so maybe something has changed.  Maybe he can start immediately and get it done before The Mandalorian is even set to start in April? Or maybe they can start Mando in April as planned and he'll join by May or so?

I know nothing about this new show, nor do I really care, so I have no idea.  Just throwing out some thoughts. 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm not saying that you're wrong, and I do agree that Deadline is usually very reliable, but I read somewhere else - and I can't remember where - that Pedro would finish The Mandalorian and then start The Last of Us.  This was when it was first announced though, so maybe something has changed.

Both could be true. First position means if both shows film at the same time Pedro is obligated to work on The Last of Us even if it means leaving Mando. It doesn’t have anything to do with filming order. It’s probably not a big deal since Pedro has a lot of flexibility with Mando.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Dani said:

Both could be true. First position means if both shows film at the same time Pedro is obligated to work on The Last of Us even if it means leaving Mando. It doesn’t have anything to do with filming order. It’s probably not a big deal since Pedro has a lot of flexibility with Mando.

As a Mando fan, and doubtfully a fan of the other show, I wish it was the other way around.  But, I suppose that worst case scenario is just that Mando gets pushed back a little.  They aren't going to cancel The Mandalorian and they aren't going to recast him - we've seen his face too much now. 🙂  

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, kieyra said:

After I stopped laughing, I had to look up what the controversy even was, and then I laughed some more. Not that the issues involved are funny, just that someone believed that one character in one show in one of Disney’s IPs was going to permanently move the needle on Disney stock.)

If you watch any YouTube video you'd see tons of comments about how Disney+ post most of their subscriber base because of Gina/Cara.  Actually I came across one that was like Disney fail...after firing Gina all of the Cars merchandize sold out...oh yeah I'm sure Disney is crying over that. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/17/2021 at 2:19 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

f you watch any YouTube video you'd see tons of comments about how Disney+ post most of their subscriber base because of Gina/Cara.  Actually I came across one that was like Disney fail...after firing Gina all of the Cars merchandize sold out...oh yeah I'm sure Disney is crying over that. 😂

Laughs. People always say they canceling this and that when they are pissed and most don't.  I am sure Disney+ is doing better than ever. They have WandaVision after all and that show is on fire.  Last Friday so many people tried to stream the show at Midnight that Disney+ crashed for a little while.  They are laughing all the way to the bank.

When all is said and done Cara Dune was just a supporting character in a few episodes and Gina Carano ain't all that.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, magdalene said:

Laughs. People always say they canceling this and that when they are pissed and most don't.  I am sure Disney+ is doing better than ever. They have WandaVision after all and that show is on fire.  Last Friday so many people tried to stream the show at Midnight that Disney+ crashed for a little while.  They are laughing all the way to the bank.

When all is said and done Cara Dune was just a supporting character in a few episodes and Gina Carano ain't all that.

I think people just enjoy trying to get others riled up, it's just like the people who are shouting that Disney is shelving one of the most popular characters just because he went off for some additional training.  I mean that is one of the oldest season ending tropes ever... favorite character taken off screen never to be seen again... yeah, right!

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm amazed how people don't know how tv actually works sometimes. I suppose it could be an artifact of streaming now. Back in the old days, a show ran once per week, and sometimes that was it. You couldn't go back and watch it over and over and over. Even if you taped it, you still had very finite storage space. There could be more of an investment. In the past, sure, we liked our shows and talked about them during the week, but because we couldn't watch them constantly, we did other things. 

Disney is clearly heavily invested in the Star Wars property, so wherever anyone falls on the issue, the fairly quick hook on Carano sends quite a clear message to your workforce. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Directors Guild of America nomination!

Drama Series: Jon Favreau - The Mandalorian, “Chapter 9: The Marshal”

 

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television

“Better Call Saul” (AMC) – Season 5
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Bridgerton” – (Netflix) – Season 1
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Crown” (Netflix) – Season 4
Producers: Peter Morgan, Suzanne Mackie, Stephen Daldry, Andy Harries, Benjamin Caron, Matthew Byam Shaw, Robert Fox, Michael Casey, Andy Stebbing, Martin Harrison, Oona O’Beirn

“The Mandalorian” (Disney Plus) – Season 2
Producers: Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, Colin Wilson, Karen Gilchrist, John Bartnicki, Carrie Beck

“Ozark” (Netflix) – Season 3
Producers: Jason Bateman, Chris Mundy, Bill Dubuque, Mark Williams, Patrick Markey, John Shiban, Miki Johnson, Matthew Spiegel, Erin Mitchell, Martin Zimmerman, Peter Thorell

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I came across this IG account of a guy in Russia who created a replica Razor Crest with his friends. It's pretty amazing! Some of his videos are pretty fun as well. I thought this one was particularly cute. 🙂

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Short video vaguely shows how they achieve some of the Special Effects from Season 2.

Trigger Warning:  massive amounts of Spiders and exploding Razor Crests

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Mandalorian: Hasbro Debuts Snackin' Grogu Animatronic Figure

The newest toy from Hasbro, "Hungry Hungry Grogus"

The Galactic Snackin’ Grogu from Hasbro stands 9 inches tall and comes with four interactive accessories, including a bowl of tentacles, blue cookie (I think we all decided that was a macaroon), shifter knob and spoon. (What! Where are the Spiders, Frogs, Frog's Eggs and Bone Broth Bowls?) With his motorized movements, Grogu can share whether he's hungry, wants to be picked up or even when he's using his Force abilities.

STAR WARS GALACTIC SNACKIN’ GROGU

(HASBRO/Age 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $79.99/Available: set to ship on Dec. 1.)

Requires 4 1.5V AA batteries, not included.

STAR-WARS-GALACTIC-SNACKIN----GROGU-oop-

snackin-grogu-header.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

STAR-WARS-GALACTIC-SNACKIN----GROGU-oop-

STAR-WARS-GALACTIC-SNACKIN----GROGU-oop-

STAR-WARS-GALACTIC-SNACKIN----GROGU-oop-

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Art Directors Guild award!

One-Hour Period or Fantasy Single-Camera Series: “The Mandalorian”: “Chapter 13: The Jedi,” Production Designers: Andrew L. Jones, Doug Chiang

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Sci-Fi / Fantasy Television
The Mandalorian: "Chapter 13: The Jedi" – Shawna Trpcic
Snowpiercer: "Access is Power" – Cynthia Summers
Star Trek: Picard: "Absolute Candor" – Christine Bieselin Clark
Westworld: "Parce Domine" – Shay Cunliffe
What We Do in the Shadows: "Nouveau Théâtre des Vampires" – Amanda Neale

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

American Society of Cinematographers award!

Episode of a Half-Hour Television Series: Baz Idoine – “The Mandalorian” (“Chapter 13: The Jedi”)

 

Cinema Audio Society award!

TELEVISION SERIES – 1/2 HOUR

The Mandalorian: Ep. 102 Chapter 2: The Child

Production Mixer – Shawn Holden
Re-Recording Mixer – Bonnie Wild
Re-Recording Mixer – Stephen Urata
Scoring Mixer – Christopher Fogel
ADR Mixer – Matthew Wood
Foley Mixer – Blake Collins

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The Mandalorian got 3 MTV noms...

YOUR 2021 MTV MOVIE & TV AWARDS NOMINATIONS ARE HERE: SEE THE FULL LIST
MTV NEWS STAFF     04/19/2021
http://www.mtv.com/news/3176571/mtv-movie-tv-awards-nominees-2021/

Quote

On May 16, MTV will air the 2021 Movie & TV Awards telecast from the Palladium in Los Angeles, honoring the biggest and best in film and television. The following night, May 17, is the inaugural Movie & TV Awards: Unscripted, a celebration of all things reality TV.
*  *  *
Fan voting for the 2021 MTV Movie & TV Awards is now open at vote.mtv.com and will be until April 30. Until then, check out which of your faves below racked up nominations — then get voting!
*  *  *
BEST HERO
Anthony Mackie: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Gal Gadot: Wonder Woman 1984
Jack Quaid: The Boys
Pedro Pascal: The Mandalorian
Teyonah Parris: WandaVision
*  *  *
BEST VILLAIN
Aya Cash: The Boys
Ewan McGregor: Birds of Prey
Giancarlo Esposito: The Mandalorian
Kathryn Hahn: WandaVision
Nicholas Hoult: The Great
*  *  *

BEST DUO
Kristen Wiig & Annie Mumolo: Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar
Anthony Mackie & Sebastian Stan: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Pedro Pascal & Grogu/Baby Yoda: The Mandalorian
Lily Collins & Ashley Park: Emily in Paris
Sasha Baron Cohen & Maria Bakalova: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Don't know what to get your mother for Mother's Day, watch people's eyes get as wide as Groru's when they see you mother wearing "The Child" eye shadow from ColourPop.

https://colourpop.com/products/disney-star-wars-the-mandalorian-the-child-eyeshadow-palette

This monochromatic olive green palette features a range of finishes from matte, metallic, and our iconic Super Shock formula. Create the cutest looks in the galaxy with the fun olives, golds, and neutral tones.

create the cutest looks in the galaxy 💚      $16

ColourPop_theChild_grid_1_800x1200.jpg?v

makeup.just.for.fun-_7_800x1200.jpg?v=16The-Child-Palette-on-Color-Square-Main_8pink4passions_4_800x1200.jpg?v=161773627

harbsy-_3_800x1200.jpg?v=1617736277

safai305-_1_4c86bafc-2c43-4f8a-a23e-2870

raincornelius-_4_800x1200.jpg?v=16177362

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size