Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: It's Ben a Long Time

• Start Topic

Much like most of the shenanigans this season, that whole scene with Colin getting teary eyed and offering to quit if June can stay was ridiculous and scripted (IMO of course), it went by in a flash. Sure didn't take much convincing to get him to stay. Pffft. Sandy and her annoying arse in almost every scene. I'm surprised she didn't pop out of the bathroom attached to Jack and Aesha's room, during that "scene" (my eyes, MY EYES!), giving them a little snuggy hug and atta boy/girl! MAN she's thirsty for scenes. I can't believe the amount of love Sandy gets on Twitter. I honestly feel they are paid tweeps tweeting supportive crap about Sandy because. Come. On. Am I watching a different show? LOL. I'm glad Ben is back. I'm also glad original BD is returning in October. I've grown tired of BDM, but naturally I'll stick it out to the end, because. Bravo's Bish. HA!

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
17 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Travis: "You're not really friends with someone until you seen their cock."

Me:

Could-You-Not-Meme-Girl-Gif-During-The-C

Uhhh, yeah, can we talk about that please? Do guys really refer to their own penis's as 'my cock'? It seemed so crass and weird. I can imagine Travis and Jock being drunk and silly and rubbing said cocks together whilst calling it a 'game', because that's how butt hurt Travis seemed to be. What a dumbass.

10 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

The charter guest in wasn’t  going commando.  She was wearing a teeny tiny thong which was so far up her ass she could have pulled it out of her nostrils. 

Yeah, while her ass was pretty much perfect and I'd love to say my ass looked like that - which it definitely does not - they all had butter faces, so who cares if your ass is great if your face looks like a melted mannequin? And the thirsty desperation was, just gross. I'm sure they think they look super fabulous and EMPOWERED but they all just wreak of desperation. It was like having a charter full of Darcies (90dayfiasco).

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12

Much like most of the shenanigans this season, that whole scene with Colin getting teary eyed and offering to quit if June can stay was ridiculous and scripted (IMO of course), it went by in a flash. Sure didn't take much convincing to get him to stay. Pffft.

Yeah, production threw poor overlooked Colin a bone and gave him a screen moment.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

So Hannah apparently hit on Ben a few charter seasons ago?  Does Hannah ever go a full charter season (like 6 weeks?) without hooking up?  I mean, I'm not slut shaming or anything but it seems like maybe for such a short period of time, you can focus on your job and doing it well?  Just saying.   I did have to laugh when every time there was a comment mentioned about being busy, the editing monkeys showed Hannah in her bunk, texting.  Ha ha.

I have recently binged Below Deck Med from the beginning, so all is fresh.  Hannah and Ben were on season 1 and Hannah was different then. I wouldn’t call her naive, but she was definitely more focused on her job rather than conjuring up drama.  In season 1, it was almost cringe-worthy to see her crush on Ben. He knew it and basically played her.  Maybe it was for tv, or maybe his somewhat macho personality.

And I say “macho” because it was a cheesy, almost fake attempt at being cocky.  

• Love 4

Ben probably took time out of his career to go on BD Med to advertise his 'brand' and that he's available for hire.  

When he walks he looks like he's got two cantaloupes shoved down his drawers! 

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, Shannah Banana said:

couldn't believe he presented a dish even called that.  It sounded so low class, and he knows better than that.  I thought. 

It goes by a few names and goes in and out of fashion but even high end/nice restaurants sometimes have it on the menu.

1 hour ago, Shannah Banana said:

, that was on Below Deck.  I remembered the Kate hookup, but must have erased the memory of the Kat hookup.  I like Ben and want to keep my illusions of him, I guess. 

The Kate hookup happened when they weren’t filming, the Kat hookup got a lot of play including people listening to them having sex and they may or may not have stained a decorative pillow because one of the Times happened in a state room between charters.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Per Wikipedia......

"Airline chicken is a food dish comprising a boneless chicken breast with the drumette attached. Skin on breast with 1st wing joint and tenderloin attached, otherwise boneless. The cut is also known as a frenched breast."

I looked at photos and the presentation is very elegant. The dish acquired the name "airline chicken" because people think the chicken wing looks like the wing on an airplane. I have actually had this dish in a nice restaurant and it was called "French Cut Chicken Breast" on the menu.

I think Ben would have been better off not naming his dish as "Airline Chicken". "Frenched Chicken Breast" would have gone over much better and would not have the negative connotation.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12
20 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

I meant from start to finish. This day he had to lean on Anastasia pretty much through the whole process because he didn't have a feel for the logistics of the galley. Both Anastasia and Hannah were acting if his need to use Anastasia was a bit burdensome which I found to be ridiculous considering the circumstances and their knowledge/contribution to those circumstances. 

What is the difference if Anastasia used the (Travis? All of the run together for me) deck hand for meal prep and service or if Ben used Anastasia for prep?  Ben hadn't been on the boat for a minute before he had to start prepping for lunch, Ana set up the kitchen and knew what provisions were there, Hannah likes to roll her eyes and will use every opportunity to do so.

11 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Per Wikipedia......

"Airline chicken is a food dish comprising a boneless chicken breast with the drumette attached. Skin on breast with 1st wing joint and tenderloin attached, otherwise boneless. The cut is also known as a frenched breast."

I looked at photos and the presentation is very elegant. The dish acquired the name "airline chicken" because people think the chicken wing looks like the wing on an airplane. I have actually had this dish in a nice restaurant and it was called "French Cut Chicken Breast" on the menu.

I think Ben would have been better off not naming his dish as "Airline Chicken". "Frenched Chicken Breast" would have gone over much better and would not have the negative connotation.

YES! I was shocked that he used that name, Chicken ala Ben or Winged Victory or anything else would have been better!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

What is the difference if Anastasia used the (Travis? All of the run together for me) deck hand for meal prep and service or if Ben used Anastasia for prep?  Ben hadn't been on the boat for a minute before he had to start prepping for lunch, Ana set up the kitchen and knew what provisions were there, Hannah likes to roll her eyes and will use every opportunity to do so.

YES! I was shocked that he used that name, Chicken ala Ben or Winged Victory or anything else would have been better!

Also, I decided to serve Bus Station hamburgers with Bowling Alley Ketchup for tonight's entrée!

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, gingerella said:

Uhhh, yeah, can we talk about that please? Do guys really refer to their own penis's as 'my cock'? It seemed so crass and weird. I can imagine Travis and Jock being drunk and silly and rubbing said cocks together whilst calling it a 'game', because that's how butt hurt Travis seemed to be. What a dumbass.

Many do, they were probably drunk and having "swordfights" every night. That's why Travis was so bummed out.

• LOL 10

Such second hand embarrassment for these horny older women. Why act so desperate? And the staff don't want you ladies, just stop with the leering.

JoWOW is getting the hero edit this season. That said he is much more neutral and far less douchey. It is clear he takes pride in doing a good job.

Lil Colley showed his fame ho ways by quickly retracting his offer. And Cap'n Sandy PLEASE stop touching and loving on your staff. You too can be "me too'd."

Chef Ben is so cute, I love his laugh and accent. I am happy he is back.

Anasthesia needs to get over herself. But quick.

Edited by Crazydoxielady
spelling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Using the word "Frenched" in any context around these guests seems like it would trigger hazard pay.

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
On 8/27/2019 at 2:12 AM, Barbara Please said:

I'm completely over Captain 'the food is not hot" Sandy.  And please stop kissing, hugging, and telling your staff that you love them!

Yes! Sandy is a terrible manager and trying to be friends with her crew, complete with hugging and telling them you love them, is a recipe for failure.

Especially a very structured, hierarchical workplace like a yacht, it's essential for her to maintain distance from her crew or she'll lose control.  

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I think the Anastasia help issue was all hyped drama.

Use of airline chicken didn't phase me since I was familiar with the word. What I was so surprised about was that Ben served such similar menus or both lunch and dinner. I think there was a shrimp, a rice, and a sashimi dish on both menus. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, BodhiGurl said:

I can't believe the amount of love Sandy gets on Twitter. I honestly feel they are paid tweeps tweeting supportive crap about Sandy because. Come. On. Am I watching a different show? LOL. 

They love her because she's a woman doing a traditional man's job. I get that. I also find it admirable. But she's a terrible manager. She may be great at driving and navigating the ship and all that entails, but as a manager of people she's terrible. She micromanages and she tries to be friends with her crew. Both of these are recipes for disaster. 

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

She may be great at driving and navigating the ship and all that entails, but as a manager of people she's terrible.

To me, she always looks a little lost when looking at the controls and such.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, ohcomeon said:

I think the Anastasia help issue was all hyped drama.

Use of airline chicken didn't phase me since I was familiar with the word. What I was so surprised about was that Ben served such similar menus or both lunch and dinner. I think there was a shrimp, a rice, and a sashimi dish on both menus. 

I know, I posted about that too, basically the same meal and no snarky remark or even an eye roll from Hannah.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

To me, she always looks a little lost when looking at the controls and such.  

Capt. Sandy did a damn good job sliding into that really tight slip. I give her props for that and also props to the deck crew who guided her in.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I know, I posted about that too, basically the same meal and no snarky remark or even an eye roll from Hannah.

Anastasia didn’t earn any eyerolls her first meals either. I’m giving Ben a little leeway since he arrived with barely any time to plan or even familiarize himself with the galley 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 6
50 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Anastasia didn’t earn any eyerolls her first meals either. I’m giving Ben a little leeway since he arrived with barely any time to plan or even familiarize himself with the galley 

Agreed. He also had non-working burners so sushi and rice that could be made in a rice cooker was probably a smart way to go. I'm hopeful he'll switch it up once he figures out exactly what he has to work with.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Yes! Sandy is a terrible manager and trying to be friends with her crew, complete with hugging and telling them you love them, is a recipe for failure.

Especially a very structured, hierarchical workplace like a yacht, it's essential for her to maintain distance from her crew or she'll lose control.  

I can't tell if she wants to be friends or just wants to be the star of the show.  Cannot believe she would eat of the chart guest's plate and then to deem it cold not realizing it had been sitting there untouched for a bit while the ladies yakked it up. 

For someone who's had so many issue with anchors & anchoring, maybe she should spend some more time in the wheelhouse.

The Ringo Kidd:  new name, Langford Peel?  The Ben infatuation is an easy tell.

Edited by snarts
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

Such second hand embarrassment for these horny older women. Why act so desperate? And the staff don't want you ladies, just stop with the leering.

JoWOW is getting the hero edit this season. That said he is much more neutral and far less douchey. It is clear he takes pride in doing a good job.

Lil Colley showed his fame ho ways by quickly retracting his offer. And Cap'n Sandy PLEASE stop touching and loving on your staff. You too can be "me too'd."

Chef Ben is so cute, I love his laugh and accent. I am happy he is back.

Anasthesia needs to get over herself. But quick.

Colin looked so confused when Sandy hugged him. I guess his bestie forgot to warn him that Sandy is a hugger.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I'm not even sure Ben had been informed of the guests wants for a menu.

Walks aboard and lunch in 2 hours?

No one can cook on a stove that doesn't stay hot - 

This is on Sandy - she is the only one that can do something about the cold food this season with 2 chefs.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, maggiemae said:

m not even sure Ben had been informed of the guests wants for a menu.

In the recent marathon of BD season 1, I was reminded Ben would frequently being doing full breakfasts for the guests in hour or two after they arrived and even later seasons there would at least be a large app spread when they arrived in the afternoon, which should be standard because they are serving them alcohol from the second their feet land on the deck.

• Love 2
On 8/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, BodhiGurl said:

Much like most of the shenanigans this season, that whole scene with Colin getting teary eyed and offering to quit if June can stay was ridiculous and scripted (IMO of course), it went by in a flash. Sure didn't take much convincing to get him to stay. Pffft. Sandy and her annoying arse in almost every scene. I'm surprised she didn't pop out of the bathroom attached to Jack and Aesha's room, during that "scene" (my eyes, MY EYES!), giving them a little snuggy hug and atta boy/girl! MAN she's thirsty for scenes. I can't believe the amount of love Sandy gets on Twitter. I honestly feel they are paid tweeps tweeting supportive crap about Sandy because. Come. On. Am I watching a different show? LOL. I'm glad Ben is back. I'm also glad original BD is returning in October. I've grown tired of BDM, but naturally I'll stick it out to the end, because. Bravo's Bish. HA!

I don’t think Colin getting upset and offering to stay was scripted. I think he’s honestly just that nice of a guy. All his cast mates past and present have said this about him. 

On 8/27/2019 at 11:12 PM, Shannah Banana said:

Five STAR all the way!!!  Sandy is never going to miss an opportunity to show us her ass on TEEVEE!  She really is a moron, AND an embarrassment to the boat.  Famewhoredom is not a good look on anyone. 

I know!  I couldn't believe he presented a dish even called that.  It sounded so low class, and he knows better than that.  I thought. 

Yeah, that was on Below Deck.  I remembered the Kate hookup, but must have erased the memory of the Kat hookup.  I like Ben and want to keep my illusions of him, I guess. 

I don’t think Ben and Kate ever hooked up on the show though. It was mentioned that they had a very brief fling between seasons. The Kat hookups were on the show and happened pretty frequently!

On 8/27/2019 at 11:18 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Ben has made shrimp the new beef cheeks.

Good at every meal. 

Thank God Ben is back!

He’s served shrimp at one meal so far ... how is that anything remotely comparable to Leon and his beef cheeks? 

• Love 2

This episode sort of flew by for me. I thought the previews were going to be upcoming scenes or something and it just ended abruptly.  Can't wait til next week. I agree Hannah's eyerolls are SO unnecessary.  She worked with Ben a seemingly long time ago and tried her damndest to get into his pants but it didn't work. Now she acts like she's the authority on all things Ben.

Anastasia and her comment to Ben "I don't 'check things' anymore. You're here"= what.a.snot. I can't stand that chick.  She needs to get over herself, indeed. I hope they air all Her snot comments at the reunion and someone (a viewer/ Andy) calls her out on it. I'll tolerate Aesha's sex talk and even Jock & Travis's "cock" talk before I tolerate those nasty little quips from an ego tripping little girl. I hate that sh**.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kdawg82 said:

Anastasia and her comment to Ben "I don't 'check things' anymore.

I agree. She was all fat-headed when she was chef, and how it was such an important job that required "thinking." Now she's saying "I have zero responsibility now." Wouldn't Ben respect her more if she offered her opinion on whether the taste is correct? She now wants to just be a brainless pair of hands? 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

In the recent marathon of BD season 1, I was reminded Ben would frequently being doing full breakfasts for the guests in hour or two after they arrived and even later seasons there would at least be a large app spread when they arrived in the afternoon, which should be standard because they are serving them alcohol from the second their feet land on the deck.

We had a lot of discussion last season about Ben having snacks and appetizers ready to go when those gorgons were screaming abouts nuts. It just seemed like there was much more food and snacks available to guests when Ben was the chef. I remember that fight Ben got into with Kate during the RHoA charter. The ladies afternoon snacks were served kind of late and were substantial enough that the ladies wanted to skip dinner. 

• Love 5

Finally got to watch this episode, yo ladies it isn’t cool when men creepily hit on the crew and it’s just as creepy when you do it! This is their job and your behavior isn’t cool!

I haven’t done laundry in a gazillion years (wash and fold/my boyfriend loves doing it) but even I know that the number one rule of doing unknown laundry is to read the label! I also didn’t appreciate that she didn’t seem to apologize for the mistake.

The guests didn’t appear to have a problem with the name of the airline chicken and praised the taste so was surprised it was so discussed.

Anastasia talked a lot of smack in her interviews but when actually in the galley she was super helpful. When she said your here so I don’t have to taste it, we didn’t see what they were talking about tasting and given that she is a vegan who was only tasting a lot of the food for seasoning and than spitting it out I can totally see why she wouldn’t do that when she wasn’t required to do it for the food to be properly seasoned.

Sandy likes to have it both ways “Call me Captain Sandy I’m not your friend!” Also Sandy with her hugging and crying with her crew and trying to be friends. I would love to know how she acts with a crew when she isn’t on a reality show. Also, the way she phrased the question to Anastasia about working with a real chef was so douchey, they’re are a gazillion ways she could have said it and she choose the worst way but Anastasia handled it well.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I think those staterooms reek of desperation.

Have you seen Ionian Princess? It went through a full refit after season 1 and it still looks like a tacky mess. I thought MY Seanna looked like a Radisson in 1987, but Ionian Princess is dated and gaudy. It's so tacky that I'm pretty sure most of the cast of RHoNJ thinks it's eloguent.

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-23513/ionian-princess-photos.htm

I thought Talisman Maiton was pretty awful too. Honor was dated and underwhelming. I think that's why I love Sirocco. It has some decor without being over the top and it's neutral without being bland. Valor is my favorite of all the yachts. Sirocco is next, Ohana 3rd, and Eros is fine, but bland.

https://megayachtnews.com/2018/05/the-7-megayachts-of-tv-below-deck/

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2019 at 10:31 PM, spunky said:

Yay Ben is back!!! I can’t wait to see his creations for the next three charters.  Yes Sandy the food is cold because the burners are useless. 

It was cooled off while it sat in front of the drunk guests while they babbled.   This is one of the charters where I really wonder what they're going to think when they see themselves on TV.  These women aren't buffoons looking for exposure for business ventures, like some guests we've seen in the past.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:02 AM, maggiemae said:

I'm not even sure Ben had been informed of the guests wants for a menu.

He was at the preferences meeting.  Provisioning places adjacent to high end marinas can deliver with a very quick turn around, but of course charge you for the service.   Ben is experienced enough to have some tried and true go-to's he can riff on with no notice.

I loved Ben's comments about the burners when Anastasia told him that the burners hadn't been fixed because the whole stove would have to be replaced.  Yes, replace the stove and send the bill to the boat's owners.   That's how it's done.

• Love 2
On 8/28/2019 at 3:00 PM, luvthepros said:

Capt. Sandy did a damn good job sliding into that really tight slip. I give her props for that and also props to the deck crew who guided her in.

Yes, she did.  But when she's looking at the control panel, she often looks, to me, confused or amazed or dazed or something.   Then again, that could be her normal look and I'm interpreting it otherwise.

I have no doubt that the HR mishandlings are scripted by the production crew.  I can only hope that she's a better manager in real life.

2 hours ago, terrymct said:

It was cooled off while it sat in front of the drunk guests while they babbled.   This is one of the charters where I really wonder what they're going to think when they see themselves on TV.  These women aren't buffoons looking for exposure for business ventures, like some guests we've seen in the past.

He was at the preferences meeting.  Provisioning places adjacent to high end marinas can deliver with a very quick turn around, but of course charge you for the service.   Ben is experienced enough to have some tried and true go-to's he can riff on with no notice.

I loved Ben's comments about the burners when Anastasia told him that the burners hadn't been fixed because the whole stove would have to be replaced.  Yes, replace the stove and send the bill to the boat's owners.   That's how it's done.

These guests seem to be the IRL version of Desperate Housewives. As for the food being cold, Sandy just needs to stop. Of course it got cold, while she was sitting up on deck talking and not eating. Just the fact that she would go so far as to taste the food with the same fork the guest was eating from was inappropriate and gross.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, terrymct said:

Ben will get it done. I have no doubt.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, terrymct said:

oved Ben's comments about the burners when Anastasia told him that the burners hadn't been fixed because the whole stove would have to be replaced.  Yes, replace the stove and send the bill to the boat's owners.   That's how it's done.

I thought that he was pulling that out of his ass. They are on a tight charter season, they have attempted to get it fixed but it hasn’t worked, more than likely what would happen if it couldn’t be replaced in the downtime between charters which is possible for getting the parts and getting them installed is that the captain and the owner would tell the chef to make it work with what was available.

32 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I thought that he was pulling that out of his ass. They are on a tight charter season, they have attempted to get it fixed but it hasn’t worked, more than likely what would happen if it couldn’t be replaced in the downtime between charters which is possible for getting the parts and getting them installed is that the captain and the owner would tell the chef to make it work with what was available.

Didn't Ben say the stove should be replaced if they haven't been able to fix the burners? How can a chef make do with a stove that doesn't create heat in a consistent manner? Even the most brilliant of chefs could not work with that. I think Ben has the right idea.......get an new stove.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Didn't Ben say the stove should be replaced if they haven't been able to fix the burners

Yes, what I am saying is that if it couldn’t be done in the few hours that they aren’t on charter even in the real world the owner or captain would probably tell the chef they needed to do what they could rather than lose charters being down for having the oven replaced. It’s not as simple as going to a big box store and buying one and even if you throw money at the problem it can still take a few week and it’s clearly not an actual deal breaker because all the chefs have been able to make it work in some fashion.

Edited by biakbiak
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No, honestly, it’s often easier to replace those units than repair them.  If the item isn’t in stock, they order it and have it when you next dock.  This season isn’t in a remote location at all.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, terrymct said:

No, honestly, it’s often easier to replace those units than repair them.  If the item isn’t in stock, they order it and have it when you next dock.  This season isn’t in a remote location at all.   

Which can take time and also scheduling someone to put it in. It’s not like they aren’t doing anything about the issue or that money is the issue. Ben frequently talks as if he has much more power than he has.

Edited by biakbiak
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Which can take time and also scheduling someone to put it in. It’s not like they aren’t doing anything about the issue or that money is the issue. Ben frequently talks as if he has much more power than he has.

There are companies that exist to provide services to the mega yachts and various other vessels.  It’s shockingly easy to get things...for a price.  We had to get replacement parts on two different Caribbean islands, stuff that isn’t a day to day replacement.  In both cases, very happy people very quickly met us at the marinas with the items and nice hefty bills.   It’s in the best interest of the owners to make a repair like a stove immediately even if it costs a lot because food is one of the most obvious luxury items on the boats. 

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, terrymct said:

There are companies that exist to provide services to the mega yachts and various other vessels.  It’s shockingly easy to get things...for a price.  We had to get replacement parts on two different Caribbean islands, stuff that isn’t a day to day replacement.  In both cases, very happy people very quickly met us at the marinas with the items and nice hefty bills.   It’s in the best interest of the owners to make a repair like a stove immediately even if it costs a lot because food is one of the most obvious luxury items on the boats. 

My point is they are working on the problem and had been before Ben came be it production, the owner, or lack of the oven clearly something is holding it up, Ben as a fill in chef wouldn't have the power to order such equipment and than just charge it to the owner without consent which was how he said he would solve the problem. 

Edited by biakbiak