Type keyword(s) to search

Season Five: Don't Fear the Reaper

So let's see:

• Clark dies in Hidden and Void.
  • Lex dies in Void.
  • Lana dies in Thirst, Reckoning, and Void.
  • Chloe attempts suicide in Tomb.
  • Lionel attempts suicide in Mercy.
  • Jonathan dies in Reckoning.
  • Sheriff Nancy Adams dies in Lockdown.
  • Victor is reported dead before the events of Cyborg.

So yeah. People die in this one. I still remember Clark being comforted by Martha at the end of Vengeance and thinking that it was some of TW's best work. I think this was also the first season where Lionel inexplicably still had power and influence in Luthorcorp but it didn't really make sense.

Yeah, I have fond memories of season five. I was just so darned hopefuls,for the future if the show. Things felt like they were clicking. I thought Clana was finally dying a natural death. Brainiac and Zod and Lex possessed. Chloe moving ahead at the planet. Chlark closer and teamier than ever. So much potential.

• Love 3

I've always liked season 5, especially since there is a lot of Chloe and Clark scenes. I used to ship them, but now that I'm older I think that they are better just being great friends.

• Love 1

but now that I'm older I think that they are better just being great friends.

I still watch the show on multiple levels.  If I buy into everything the show tried to sell me on face value in the last seasons then Chloe is better off with Oliver and just being friends with Clark but I can't help remembering the previous 8 seasons of the show, like when Lois confessed she couldn't handle being in a relationship where she couldn't always come first or even in the final episode where Lois reveals she thinks of Clark as a god who's time she is wasting. 

Chloe had to tell Lois how much Clark needs time off to be normal which I found rather shocking for someone that is supposed to know Clark best.  Plus practically everything Clark had in his wedding vows didn't apply to Lois but did apply to Chloe so I couldn't help think that if the show remained true to it's characters (which it had been fighting against IMO since at least the end of season 8 and many times before that as well) then eventually Clark and Lois would fall apart (seriously, even on the show they can't manage to get married in seven years???) and the same thing with Chloe and Oliver since their relationship seemed to have happened too fast and without a lot of thought on Chloe's part.  It was like she really wanted to be that girl but was still searching for herself and she still seemed most real when she was with Clark. 

I can't help but imagine Clark and Chloe hitting their thirties, looking around and when they truly find themselves, they also find that they were way more than friends and I completely blame the show for telling me that. 

• Love 5

I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like Season 5. It's probably the season that encapsulates what I think of when I think "Smallville." You wouldn't have heard me complaining if they'd ended with Vessel. Well, actually, I would have complained, because I would have wanted to see more, but knowing what I know now...it's a tough choice. But Season 5 was when I personally returned to Smallville after watching it only somewhat sporadically during S2-S4; it's the first season where I started watching every episode and viewing them as parts of a whole rather than assorted and interchangeable.

• Love 1

If I buy into everything the show tried to sell me on face value in the last seasons then Chloe is better off with Oliver and just being friends with Clark

This is actually okay by me. Then again, I was never a big Chloe/Clark 'shipper. I thought they could be enjoyable to watch, and probably better than most of Clark's other 'ships. But I was okay with them never getting together romantically, and just being really good friends.

Really, by the time the show ended, I didn't like Clark enough to want him with Chloe.

As for Chloe/Oliver, I know the complaints about them, and some of them hold water. But, at the end of the day, I just enjoyed that relationship. And think that while, yes, it was kind of rushed, AM and JH still manage to sell it and make it work. Not to mention they had great chemistry and really played off of each other well.

Sometimes, something just being enjoyable to watch trumps any technical flaws it might have.

• Love 2

See, I both love and hate this season. Hate, because Bo Kent died. I didn't want him to die. Just because. Even if he was a judgmental douche. I loved his relationship with Clark and John Schneider was oh, so pretty. Still is.

Now, I didn't ship Clark and Chloe, but I did want to see if they could be romantic for awhile.  And then I got that amazing lip lock in the finale, only to have it brushed away, and then the introduction of "Jimmy", which no.

I agree, I loved their friendship, but Tom and Allison had such great chemistry and I wanted Chloe to win for once, even if it wouldn't last.

• Love 1

If season 5 had been the end..I would have been ok with it. The five year plan worked imo. 

I also hate how the Vessel kiss was taken away...poor storytelling not having Chloe and Clark be in an actual relationship. For however long. 

• Love 2

I agree, I loved their friendship, but Tom and Allison had such great chemistry and I wanted Chloe to win for once, even if it wouldn't last.

I also hate how the Vessel kiss was taken away...poor storytelling not having Chloe and Clark be in an actual relationship. For however long. 

I guess that, for me, it wasn't about Chloe winning, it was about her being happy. And I think part of the reason I wasn't gung-ho for Chlark is I knew that they wouldn't be together five minutes before the writers had him pining for Lana. Which Chloe, being perceptive, would know and be miserable over. 

And while Clark might've stayed with Chloe (because it was the right thing or something), the writers would've had a ball giving Clark lots of angst. (Sad angst because he wasn't with the one he really wanted. Guilty angst about wanting to be with someone else.) And of course he and Lana would trade moony looks of pining when they thought Chloe wasn't looking. Only the writers loved to give AM a chance to play teary and heart-broken, so they'd make sure she saw.

Really, I can see it all so clearly. And just imagining it annoys the crap out of me.

The thing that gets to me is that by the end of season five the show runners had is set up that Clark was OVER Lana.  She'd shown her true loyalties. He would always care for her but he'd finally woken up to them never working and it seemed like he'd finally opened his eyes and realized that the real love and partnership he wanted was right there with Chloe.  So I felt that at the end of season five and even half way into six, the show had the perfect set up for Clark choosing Chloe and NOT pining or mooning after Lana.  There would be stuff trying to save her since he'd pushed her away and sent her in the direction of Lex, but it wouldn't have had to be about him being in love with her. 

• Love 3

And I'll add that Tom/Clark was not all whoa! where is this coming from when Chloe locked lips with him. He was fully into it himself, putting his arms around her and participating fully. Unlike the surprise Kiss from Season 1 in that episode with those two guys who could just touch you and make you do what they wanted. You know, how that guy got Bo to sell their farm? Anyhoo, the look of surprise and shock on Clark's face when Chloe kissed him.

• Love 2

Exactly! Clark had to have fully known why Chloe was rushing up to him. He could have avoided the kiss or broke it off or just endured it. No. He turned back because he didn't want to leave her and he kissed her because he was also afraid he'd never see her again. Even when the phone interrupted them, he didn't rush away. He reluctantly left her. Season six should have gone in a drastically different way.

• Love 2

I was so excited for the possibility of Clark/Chloe. I always knew they weren't meant to be, but I wanted to see them go through a relationship before they figured that out. Their friendship is at its best this season. They make a great team when they're honest with each other. 

That scene where Clark gets shot in "Hidden" while wearing that pretty light blue shirt and Chloe is just screaming for him and trying to get to him is one of my all-time favorites. It just breaks my heart. 

• Love 2

I was so excited for the possibility of Clark/Chloe. I always knew they weren't meant to be,

This frustrated me.  They were working as a pair so well on the show but instead of being nurtured and supported to make it even bigger and better, the show had to spend years cutting it down just so the meant to be couple could be the least bit plausible.  Such a waste of potential. 

• Love 2

Agreed. And they had such a great and natural build up over the course of 5 seasons. I never liked Clana but I appreciated that they dealt with that relationship in full before entertaining the thought of Clark fully moving on to Chloe. 

• Love 2

Season five. 

I'm watching Arrow as obsessively as I watched Smallville and it kind of breaks my mind a little when I think of just how long Smallville was on.  Arrow is just entering season 4 (well in the fall three months from now).  Sooooo much can happen both wonderful and terrible. 

Season five of Smallville was a funny season for me.  I LOVED the show and LOVED so many of season five's episodes but I have a hard time justifying my love for it since it is also filled with terrible storylines, but oh, I had soooo much hope for the show!  I mostly stopped hating Lana this season, she still frequently annoyed the crap out of mel, but I thought they were FINALLY doing something with her story that made sense in the back half of the season.  

• Love 2
Season five of Smallville was a funny season for me.  I LOVED the show and LOVED so many of season five's episodes but I have a hard time justifying my love for it since it is also filled with terrible storylines, but oh, I had soooo much hope for the show!  I mostly stopped hating Lana this season, she still frequently annoyed the crap out of mel, but I thought they were FINALLY doing something with her story that made sense in the back half of the season.  

In a way, same for me. There was a lot terrible and morbid stuff in S5 (but this show), but the characters were finally "adults". Lex was more grey than ever, Chloe was on her way to being a reporter, and they gave Lana actual plot. It was decent, but Season Six killed all my hope of S5. Slowly and in antagonizing bits.

• Love 3

So, S5 is ushered in with a big ol' loud episode. Not sure how much of it made sense--that's to be expected on this show, though--but they blew a lot of shit up in the process anyway. There was some really nice camera work with the crane shots in the Fortress of Solitude, though. And, I really did like stuff with Clark and Chloe in the hospital. It's nice Clark knows Chloe knows his secret. Oh, and, I have to give it to Chloe...she can trudge through the arctic in nothing more than a stylish jacket, cargo pants and tennis shoes and survives! Less said about Lana in this episode, the better. And James Marsters joins the cast, eh? That should be interesting.

Question of the if-a-tree-falls-in-the-forest variety: If Clark is human, is he still actually Clark? ;) 

A more serious question...whatever happened to Clark's spaceship? I'm blanking on it's last-known right now.

I enjoyed a great deal of Mortal, even though the villains of the week were predicable and rather silly--another one of those things to be expected on this show--and, I called it as a Lex setup from the beginning. Loved how Clark and Chloe worked together like a well-oiled machine, though, and I did enjoy Clark getting to be a real boy for a day. Although, I must have missed something. Why did Clark have to climb through the air vents at Luthor Corp when Chloe could just walk right in?

Hidden was rather anti-climatic, IMO, being as I knew Clark wouldn't be without his powers for very long and I also knew that Clark wouldn't be dead, so... Guessing that Jonathan dies as the sacrifice--mid-season finale or May sweeps episode? Not sure what to think of Lionel being possessed by Jor-El. Seems like a bit of a dues ex machina and a bit too easy. But, sometimes the simplest solutions can be the best, so I'll wait to judge after I see how it plays out.

Another question of  the if-a-tree-falls-in-the-forest variety: If Kryptonians can breath and fly through space, why do they need and/or use spaceships?

Aqua was one of those one-offs where it's fine and fun and nothing actually wrong with it, but didn't really do much for me in the end. Maybe its because I never read the comics, so a lot of the references and jokes went mostly over my head? Or maybe it was just preachy enough to kinda make me groan? Nice episode for Lois though.  Oh, and I did chuckle really hard going from the final scene in Hidden, where Clark says he hopes no one asks to see the gun-shot-wound scar, to the opening scene of Aqua, where Clark is shirtless and has an itty bitty bandage to cover where the scar should be. Too funny!

So far, S5 feels like it's shedding it's previous high school-ness and embracing the history from which it comes more. I kinda dig that approach.

A more serious question...whatever happened to Clark's spaceship? I'm blanking on it's last-known right now.

He inserted a kryptonite key into it and it blew up, thus flipping the truck of his parents who were coming home to check on him which made Martha lose the baby and sent Clark off to Metropolis on his RedK bender. 

Why did Clark have to climb through the air vents at Luthor Corp when Chloe could just walk right in?

He had to trip some button or wire so she could walk in.

That episode led to one of my favorite lines.  "Gosh, Clark. I didn't realize super whining was one of your powers"

• Love 2

He inserted a kryptonite key into it and it blew up, thus flipping the truck of his parents who were coming home to check on him which made Martha lose the baby and sent Clark off to Metropolis on his RedK bender. 

Ah, right. I forgot the ship blew up. Thanks, it was driving me nuts!

That episode led to one of my favorite lines.  "Gosh, Clark. I didn't realize super whining was one of your powers"

Heh, I thought the "So what you're saying is that now that you're human, you have absolutely no useful skills?" was pretty cute too. ;)

• Love 2

It's funny...in retrospect Clark-Lana were likely at their best this season. Even though this is when it really imploded. Like they tried in s7, but it wasn't the same (see Lana bedding Bizarro). Their attempted sneak-out post sex, the proposal (which is just an amazing, beautifully shot scene). 

• Love 3

Season five gave good things to a lot of fans. Clans, Chlark, Clana, our lovely JM. Some great acting between welling and AoT, major drama and big bads and of course The Daily Planet becoming a regular. It shouldn't surprise me that this is the season when the ratings shockingly went up. What Smallville turned out to be was probably a fault of its success. I know at the time Smallville was switched nights and expected to fail and instead it did better than ever. Maybe if the rating had slipped I would have been happier with the story they would have ended it on.

• Love 1

Season five gave good things to a lot of fans. Clans, Chlark, Clana, our lovely JM. Some great acting between welling and AoT, major drama and big bads and of course The Daily Planet becoming a regular. It shouldn't surprise me that this is the season when the ratings shockingly went up. What Smallville turned out to be was probably a fault of its success. I know at the time Smallville was switched nights and expected to fail and instead it did better than ever. Maybe if the rating had slipped I would have been happier with the story they would have ended it on.

Clans?

I really think this should've been the final season. Clark was making progress..every year the show got renewed he continued to stall and regress. 

• Love 1

Bwah, ha, ha...sorority-girl vampires! Ah, what would Smallville be without a few on-the-nose tropes mixed with meteor rocks?  I'm still not sure why Lana suddenly decided she wanted to go to college, but not sure it really matters either as I spent most of the episode distracted by Lana's goofy eyeliner. At least Chloe got a job out of the nonsense! I also like the implication at the end that Lana does remember more than she said.

Aww, Bo and Luke reunited! I'm always amused when shows bring in someone who is supposed to be soooo very important to a character, but we've not heard nary a word about them for years. ::cough:: Lois Lane ::cough::  So, Lex and Jonathan are going to do a political showdown? Really? Nothing good is going to come from this, is it?

Splinter was interesting. It's too bad this show has a tendency show it's hand too early in these types of episodes. I'm also continually amused by how many different colors of Kryptonite there is out there and each one is uniquely different and has different effects on Clark, but they're all Kryptonite. It's so very old-school superhero and, again, what would Smallville be without it's tropes? I also found it amusing how Lana was suddenly studying meteorology...kinda harkens back to her sudden interest in studying art. Whatever. James Marsters and Tom Welling were great together, though.

Not sure how I feel about Solitude yet as I'm not one who gets too wrapped up in the mythologies of shows. Depends on how the rest of the season plays out, I guess. I did love Chloe and Clark at the end of the episode. I really like how she's becoming his confidant more and more. In the early days of the show, his parents were his confidants, but now that he's older it only makes sense he would need to shift that dynamic. Chloe is the perfect choice for that. I also am enjoying how they've progressed Lex this season. Overall, I find Lex one of the most complex characters on the show and I love how he's really come into his villainy this season.

• Love 2

Ah ok...although "Clans" is my new name for Clark fans. 

I always found it odd that people blamed KK/Lana for the vampire episode. It was totally just for James Marsters. The commercial even had him say "there's no such things as vampires" (also...there was a character named Buffy)

• Love 1
(edited)
Ah ok...although "Clans" is my new name for Clark fans. 

I always found it odd that people blamed KK/Lana for the vampire episode. It was totally just for James Marsters. The commercial even had him say "there's no such things as vampires" (also...there was a character named Buffy)

See I don't think there was anything wrong with SV doing a vampire episode, or them doing it because JM was on the show. As ideas go, vampires (especially ones created by a disease rather than something mystical) showing up on a show like SV isn't even particularly farfetched.

The problem was that SV did a bad vampire episode. And JM being on the show can't be blamed for their poor execution. Especially when I've seen ideas that actually were kind of silly handled brilliantly by other shows, so there was no reason SV couldn't have done a reasonably good vampire storyline. Well, except for the fact that it's SV, and handling storylines badly was kind of a regular thing with them.  

Also, I'm not sure how Lana gets blamed for the episode beyond the fact that a lot of people found the way she was written into that storyline kind of cringe-worthy, which added to its overall cringe-worthiness.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 2

See I don't think there was anything wrong with SV doing a vampire episode, or them doing it because JM was on the show. As ideas go, vampires (especially ones created by a disease rather than something mystical) showing up on a show like SV isn't even particularly farfetched.

The problem was that SV did a bad vampire episode. And JM being on the show can't be blamed for their poor execution. Especially when I've seen ideas that actually were kind of silly handled brilliantly by other shows, so there was no reason SV couldn't have done a reasonably good vampire storyline. Well, except for the fact that it's SV, and handling storylines badly was kind of a regular thing with them.  

Also, I'm not sure how Lana gets blamed for the episode beyond the fact that a lot of people found the way she was written into that storyline kind of cringe-worthy, which added to its overall cringe-worthiness.

Yeah, my laughing at the episode was not because of Lana, but because the writers made it so ridiculous. Personally, I have no issue with Kristin Kreuk; she didn't write the horrible lines she had to deliver. I actually think she did rather well with what gave her to do thus far.

• Love 4

Back in the days when the show was on the air, I remember many people shifting blame on to Lana. It didn't make sense but Lana was a pretty hated character. 

Yeah, a lot of viewers had problems with the Lana character, and a lot of the complaints were totally valid. I was responding to your comment that Lana was somehow singled out as being to blame for the vampire episode, which I didn't see.

KK shouldn't have been blamed for the awful dialogue of Thirst, but those lines did come out of Lana's mouth. The particularly terrible one I think was about Lana remembering how drinking Clark's blood made her feel so close to him or something. Just eww. The other big complaint was of course Lana was so special and perfect that she beat out ALL the other girls trying to get in to the Tri Pcy's (sp?) without even making an effort.

The other characters brought in were silly but the stuff Lana had to do and say was so eye rolling and mockable. Remember how absurd she looked after they "killed her" the first time?

That said, I also remember the show runners being berated for trying again to overly sexualize Lana and KK. I remember KK getting a lot of support from all the fans when she refused to do some scene. The producers really seemed to have some kind of fetish with putting Lana in new "sexy" scenarios that were purely gratuitous.

Still, beyond Lana rapsadizing about sucking Clark's blood and her general over the top acting, I find this episode very rewatchable. Loved the DP stuff, loved Chloe's voice over, loved Chlark sneaking into the party and Clark loving his cape, loved him grinning like a goof as he tries to flirt his way in.

The episode got picked apart but overall, I remember it getting a lot of love at the time of its airing if only for just for the DP parts of it.

Oh, the high I was riding on after the episode ended with "It's the Daily Planet, the paper of record for kings, presidents, and prime ministers... not to mention future superheroes." And of course "The way I look at it I had no place to go but up, up, and away."

I was dead sure it was confirmation of the Chlois theory. Oh for what could have been!

• Love 3

Just a reminder that Omar's recaps of SV are still up on TWoP. It may be harder to navigate, but the recaps have at least been preserved on the internet. Sometimes you can access the forums you want on the webarchive too.

• Love 3

Wow! Four good solid episodes in a row. I didn't think the show had it in them.

I really enjoyed Lexmas. I should probably out myself as being a sucker for most wish/dream episodes; I love the opportunity to sit inside a character's head. I also really like how Michael Rosenbaum really throws himself into these things.

Even though the election is utter nonsense, IMO, I found Fanatic interesting-ish. Maybe I just was enamored by the idea of a female Lex?

Lockdown didn't do much for me, but there wasn't anything really wrong with it either. It is a bit ridiculous that Lex was shot twice in a the span of a few weeks and not only survives, but thrives, though.

Reckoning really struck a cord with me. I figured Clark proposing and Lana dying was a McGuffin, so I wasn't surprised that Lana survived and Jonathan died. And, sure the crystal was a total dues ex machina, but I don't really care about those things because they did the important things right. It should be interesting to see where Clark goes from this. Also, I think I adore Clark having the knowledge that Lana would accept him if he felt it was safe enough to tell her his secret. Maybe Clark can start to move on now with this knowledge.

So, since they've kinda deviated from pattern, what does this mean for the quality of the next few episodes?

I found things I really enjoyed in the next four episodes. Can't remember if they are great over all. I do remember ripping on Void pretty hard though. So by 5-17 I'd say you will get your crappy episode. Too much Lana for me.

I also remember being really confused as to whether Clark and Lana had broken up yet in this upcoming stretch.

You're right BkWurm1, the next three weren't bad episodes. However, I realized in this stretch the show seems to have shifted tone somewhat this season. It's almost like they've started taking themselves too seriously or something. I started thinking this with Vengeance, but then it was the episode following Jonathan's death, so that's too be expected.  But the feeling persisted through the following couple episodes.Maybe it's just that the performances have really come into their own this season and are hitting the right emotional beats, but the writing feels like it's lazily clinging to it's pimple-faced meteor-rock premise. It almost feels like a first season show struggling to figure out what show it is. It got me to wondering if this was their first season on the CW?

Anyhoo, unfortunately I found myself distracted throughout Vengeance by the thought that it was a backdoor pilot or something like that. It really felt wrong for the episode following Jonathan's death not to be squarely focused on Clark and Martha. Plus, I don't think the writing got there in the end; nor did the actress they cast for the Angel of Vengeance. Tom Welling and Annette O'Toole's performances did get there, though, and that last scene with them was very effective. I do have to question the logic behind all this supposed to be happening in one night, though. But that's the beauty of a show like this, I guess?

I was really struck by Allison Mack's performance in Tomb, but again, I don't think the writing really got there in the end. I think, once again, they showed their hand too early in the episode rather than letting us follow Chloe further down the path to insanity. But still, a nice Chloe episode and it was nice how they tied it back to her mother. I do wonder where the hell Chloe's father was in all this? It seemed a bit ridiculous that Lex, a non-family member, could just swoop in and have Chloe committed just because he was Lex Luthor with money and influence. I was also really disappointed in Lois not being Chloe's advocate. Don't even get me started on Lana going to Lex to have her committed. Oh well, like I said, it wasn't a bad episode; I just found it lacking in some ways.

Cyborg was a decent one-off. Although, I did find it amusing how they focused on whether Victor would tell his girlfriend the truth about being a cyborg, but I think it would be more shocking to just show up at her door when she thought him dead. I know, I know, secrets and lies---SECRETS AND LIES!!!! Oh well, have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying Lex coming into his villainy this season? Oh yeah, and is now the proper time to address my confusion at the Martha/Lionel storyline?  I just can't shake this feeling that they are making Martha look foolish just to give her and Lionel something to do for the time being. I don't get it; nor do I care for it. Plus, this is only going to end badly right? 

I see what you mean about the confusion over whether Clark and Lana broke up. I'm guessing the show wanted that confusion because it seemed the characters weren't sure either.  I just don't think either could just come out and end it, but both also knew it was over. I guess they're kinda in a holding pattern. I just hope it doesn't last too long. I feel like the show has already played their on-again-off-again to death. I can only hope that this leads to actual resolution now.

• Love 1

Maybe it's just that the performances have really come into their own this season and are hitting the right emotional beats, but the writing feels like it's lazily clinging to it's pimple-faced meteor-rock premise. It almost feels like a first season show struggling to figure out what show it is. It got me to wondering if this was their first season on the CW?

Actually it was the last season on the WB.  It was the first season when the show got moved to Thursday.  (First season on Tuesday then moved to Wednesday and then moved to Thursday)  If I remember correctly, it was kind of sent to Thursday to die but instead it actually got better ratings on the average so suddenly it kind of revived the expectations of the whole show.  I think the show runners and the network had a hard time figuring out what made the bump in numbers happen. 

I do wonder where the hell Chloe's father was in all this?

And you shall ever wonder it from now until forever.  Gabe's absence has been conspicuous since he didn't bother to show up for her graduation. 

I just hope it doesn't last too long. I feel like the show has already played their on-again-off-again to death. I can only hope that this leads to actual resolution now.

The next episode Hypnotic should answer that issue though I always felt his reasoning was really weak.  And ugh, after that we have to deal with Void and that was just not my favorite episode.  My Lana tolerance was low at that point.  Fragile I think was the first episode that TW directed.  Not terrible, not my favorite, makes too many of the characters say and do things not really in character for them IMO.  Too quick to judge. 

Mercy is after that and was Smallville's version of Saw.  Interesting as a one off, but not a favorite.  I actually liked Fade though I had at the time had higher hopes for some things to go places they did not. (Clark at the DP)  Oracle really gets the plot going for the finale but it sends some mixed messages and is kind of heavy handed too.  Vessel has some real silly moments and the Lana fu and her very special pinkness is on full display but I really liked what it seemed they were setting up for the future.  I went into season six with VERY HIGH HOPES.   

Edited by BkWurm1

Actually it was the last season on the WB.  It was the first season when the show got moved to Thursday.  (First season on Tuesday then moved to Wednesday and then moved to Thursday)  If I remember correctly, it was kind of sent to Thursday to die but instead it actually got better ratings on the average so suddenly it kind of revived the expectations of the whole show.  I think the show runners and the network had a hard time figuring out what made the bump in numbers happen. 

This made me think of Supernatural...started on Tuesdays, moved to Wednesday, then Thursday, send to Friday to die, but managed to rally instead. Then put back on Wednesdays, then Tuesdays and now Wednesdays again. I also don't think their TPTBs actually understand why it's still pulling the ratings it does, too. Funny, I guess.

And you shall ever wonder it from now until forever.  Gabe's absence has been conspicuous since he didn't bother to show up for her graduation.  

It's so weird. I understand the actor may not have been available or whatnot, but it's not like he's an iconic character, they could've replaced him or at least had a mention of him in the episode. And, to have Lana and Lex making all her medical decisions was so absolutely absurd to me. I know I'm not supposed to worry about those things, but I just can't seem to help myself.

The next episode Hypnotic should answer that issue though I always felt his reasoning was really weak.    

Yeah, not very strong reasoning when all they had to do was have Clark tell Lana the truth. Not about his powers--although I would've approved of that approach too--but just told her that he was done hurting her. It seemed it could've been a nice grown up decision if they both just realized they loved each other, but also didn't work together as a couple and moved on. I guess that didn't have enough melodramatic bs to get us into Void though?

I also was confused by the Honduras stuff a bit. Well, maybe not confused, but not sure what the point of it all was. I'm guessing it's the B-plot that will become the A-plot once we get to the finale, so I guess I just gotta be patient.

Funniest thing in the episode: Chloe showing up and sneaking Kryponite into Clark's pocket when Lex wasn't looking and then later removing it and tossing it out in the hall again when Lex wasn't looking. Too funny!

And ugh, after that we have to deal with Void and that was just not my favorite episode.  My Lana tolerance was low at that point.  

Although, I don't really have the same issues with Lana as others seem to, I didn't really care all that much for Void either. I'm never too fond of shows trying to tell me what the afterlife is like. Plus, I'm not sure it really feels like something Lana would do.

Fragile I think was the first episode that TW directed.  Not terrible, not my favorite, makes too many of the characters say and do things not really in character for them IMO.  Too quick to judge. 

I didn't realize Welling directed it, but yeah, lots of judgy, judgy, judgy in that episode--especially from Lois. I realize Lois can be rather judgmental at times, it just was on a whole other level in this episode. The glass-breaker girl they cast was pretty good, though. 

In other news: Someone should put Callum Keith Rennie and Ian Tracey in a show together as siblings. In Fragile, I thought Callum Keith Rennie was Ian Tracy on first glance and then realized it wasn't. And, in Mercy, I thought Ian Tracy was Callum Keith Rennie on first glance then realized it wasn't. Anyhoo...

Mercy is after that and was Smallville's version of Saw.  Interesting as a one off, but not a favorite.     

Once again, in total agreement--although, I've never seen Saw. Not sure what to think of this redemption of Lionel right now. My instinct is to not trust it, but they've been playing it so straight and earnest I'm beginning to doubt myself. Also, don't believe Martha would fall for it even if it was in earnest. Just no. It saddens me to say this, but I think it might be time for Lionel to exit the show. I think he was necessary in the early days when Lex was more in the gray. Now that Lex is embracing his villainy, though, I don't think they both can exist on the show anymore.

Another thing I'm not really caring for: Lex and Lana. It just feels too soon. Maybe it's just because they have done this on-again/off-again with Lana and Clark for so long that I'm wondering if it is really and truly off now? Are they just using it as another way to bring them back together at the end of the season? Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by the show this time, though?

Edited by DittyDotDot

Never saw Saw either. Never going to either, knock on wood.

Lionel is a confusing character. I hesitate to say much. Same with Clexana. Lexmas made me not totally hate the idea and I think my tolerance for Lana started creeping up at this point. She at least eventually gets more interesting even if to me her existence does more damage to Clark IMO that kryptonite. I was mostly ok with season six (with big exceptions) right up until the take away of an episode called Labyrinth. Let's just say Clark and I learned different lessons.

Season 5 is a funny one for me. Five seasons in, it's probably the first time I'm genuinely frustrated with the show and can't seem to shake it off or laugh it off. I'm really disappointed with what the show has done to Clark and Lex. Of course they have to end up enemies and up until now, the show was doing a great job of showing their bond and their pulling apart too. Suddenly in season 5, everything became a little too drastic for my liking. It's like Clark and Lex became caricatures, not characters. 

I'm also really disappointed with Clark and Lana's relationship. Again, yes they don't end up together but for them to end the way they did? I hated that bitterness and almost hatred from Lana and Clark's jealousy towards her and Lex. Actually makes all three look petty. I can totally see Lex and Lana being drawn towards each other. I actually quite enjoyed their chemistry too. I can also totally see Lana being disgusted with Clark after Hypnotic. But for her to say 'I don't know how I could ever have loved you' to Clark was such a low blow. Why couldn't the writers have Clark and Lana end things on a better note? Especially after showing us how much they loved each other and showing us what a happy Clark and Lana in love, look like in the first three episodes of the season.

Chloe continues to be awesome. At first, when she kissed Clark in Vessel, I thought, uh-oh. Season 2 all over again. But it was a great kiss. I really hope they don't brush this under the rug in the next season. These two need an honest to goodness, real conversation about their relationship. Yes, they're best friends, but obviously Chloe still has some unresolved feelings and I think Clark reciprocated that kiss, so maybe deep down, although he loves Lana, maybe he might want to try being more than friends with Chloe.

I'm baffled by the show wasting Lois the way they are. Why is she in such few episodes? And why won't they let her have an actual storyline of her own? After the awesomeness of her first four episodes in season 4, I'm so disappointed. The worst part is, when she's actually allowed a bigger part in certain storylines, like Arrival or Exposed, I'm reminded why I like her. And briefly in Exposed and Oracle, I'm even reminded of why I loved Clark and Lois's chemistry in the early days of season 4. I don't think Lois should have been on in this season at all. 

I was completely saddened by Jonathon's death. Reckoning already had me bawling but then Vengeance was like a punch in the gut. Oh, Clark. 

I've given up on trying to make sense of Lionel. 

I think this season had too few really good episodes and far too many really bad ones. James Marsters as Milton Fine was even wasted eventually. Real shame. 

Given that the lack of Lois makes miss her rather than cheer, you likely will end up liking the series overall but that feeling of irritation that you can't quite shake off...be prepared for it to grow and grow and grow. See you over in the season six thread after you've seen the first episode. So much to say.

Oh boy! So, rounding out S5 with Fade, Oracle and Vessel. They all kinda blur together a bit.

Fade kinda cemented to me that I think they shouldn't have went the Lois Lane route. I understand they didn't want to turn down the offer of the character from DC, but really she doesn't make sense in the story yet. She seems to be just floating around aimlessly from one character's story to another, but not a character in her own right. Oh well, it is what it is, right?

Also, I don't actually understand when it was Lana fell so hopelessly in love with Lex. I get Lex's feelings for Lana, they've been developing over a few seasons now. But Lana didn't seem to have any interest in Lex until the last couple episodes and now she's so devoted to him? Really? Oh well, again, it is what it is, right?

I guess they really are trying to redeem Lionel in earnest this time? I don't know, seems like a cheap trick at this point, but I did enjoy Lionel being the oracle, for some reason. When he opened that vault filled with all the crazy writing, I got the biggest grin on my face. I'm not sure how much sense it makes coupled with what they did with Lionel in S4, but, once again, it is what it is, right?

I really enjoyed Chloe this season though. Chloe and Clark working like the dynamic duo at times and her progress at the daily planet were great strides for her character. Although, I'm not sure when exactly it was that she had time to go to any classes, but whatever, that's not really all that important is it?

And I think the way they've developed Lex over the last five seasons has been brilliant. The way he's slowly developed his edge and I love how they keep showing him as thinking of himself as being the hero of the story instead of just being a typical mustache twirling villain. I'm actually interested in where they are going with Lex being the vessel of Zod. Micheal Rosenbaum should have a field day with that!

So, is that the battle cry of S5--It is what it is? Seems like a mighty shrug of indifference might be a weak way to walk out on the battlefield. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot

I think this season had too few really good episodes and far too many really bad ones. James Marsters as Milton Fine was even wasted eventually. Real shame. 

Oh yeah! Hear, hear! And totally! Usually I could expect a clunker ever three or four episodes, but this season seems like every other episode was a bit of a clunker. I think they started trying to be more serial and I'm not sure that really worked for them in the end. Many of the episodes seemed to lack focus in this format. In some ways I think it was structured more like a soap opera this season. Which isn't bad, just different and maybe just takes some getting used to?

Edited by DittyDotDot
I hated that bitterness and almost hatred from Lana and Clark's jealousy towards her and Lex. Actually makes all three look petty.

I think the writers saw the triangle as a way to work some juicy conflict and drama into the show, with all the intense emotions flying around and such. But, yep, it did just make everyone look bad. And dumbed down Clark and Lex's once complex and interesting relationship into two guys squabbling over a girl.

Given that the lack of Lois makes miss her rather than cheer

You know, when Lois wasn't actively around, I tended to totally forget she was on the show. If there was an episode with no Lois, it wouldn't even dawn on me that Lois wasn't in it until maybe someone mentioned it.

I really do think that, for a long while, the writers had no idea what to do with her, but kept her around because she was Lois Lane.

I guess they really are trying to redeem Lionel in earnest this time? I don't know, seems like a cheap trick at this point,

I don't think the PTB themselves knew where they wanted to go with Lionel. Or it was more that they seemed to want to be able to write Lionel being whatever way they needed him to be in a given episode. Sometime, they needed him to be sincere. Sometimes, it seemed like he was just playing everyone. In the end, it just made his character a mess. 

John Glover actually said that even he didn't know what was going on with Lionel during that time. At some point he stopped trying to figure it out, and just played Lionel in whatever way each script called for. So, basically, the actor playing the character was as lost as the viewers.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 2

So, is that the battle cry of S5--It is what it is? Seems like a mighty shrug of indifference might be a weak way to walk out on the battlefield. ;)

Most of the big shoulder shrug moments in five didn't ruffle my feathers since I really didn't care much about if Lana fell for Lex or not.  It was typical Lana, getting her back up boyfriend in place before the current relationship imploded.  I half think she decided she loved Lex because she can't handle not having someone in love with her. 

Lionel again was all over the place but he's in the background so oh well.  Lois was a problem but she only got featured in a couple episodes a year so I could mostly ignore her at this point in time. 

I really enjoyed Chloe this season though. Chloe and Clark working like the dynamic duo at times and her progress at the daily planet were great strides for her character. Although, I'm not sure when exactly it was that she had time to go to any classes, but whatever, that's not really all that important is it?

Night classes? 

My battle cry at the end of five was mostly YES! YES! YES!  And SEASON SIX IS GOING TO BE AWESOME! 

Eh, you live and learn. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I can't remember exactly, but it seems like he was packing it up when Lana came in on him...maybe the episode where he and Lana broke up for reals. Or maybe it was the episode where Lana tells Clark she and Lex are seeing each other? Sorry, I suck at episode titles.

I still watch the show on multiple levels.  If I buy into everything the show tried to sell me on face value in the last seasons then Chloe is better off with Oliver and just being friends with Clark but I can't help remembering the previous 8 seasons of the show, like when Lois confessed she couldn't handle being in a relationship where she couldn't always come first or even in the final episode where Lois reveals she thinks of Clark as a god who's time she is wasting. 

Chloe had to tell Lois how much Clark needs time off to be normal which I found rather shocking for someone that is supposed to know Clark best.  Plus practically everything Clark had in his wedding vows didn't apply to Lois but did apply to Chloe so I couldn't help think that if the show remained true to it's characters (which it had been fighting against IMO since at least the end of season 8 and many times before that as well) then eventually Clark and Lois would fall apart (seriously, even on the show they can't manage to get married in seven years???) and the same thing with Chloe and Oliver since their relationship seemed to have happened too fast and without a lot of thought on Chloe's part.  It was like she really wanted to be that girl but was still searching for herself and she still seemed most real when she was with Clark. 

I can't help but imagine Clark and Chloe hitting their thirties, looking around and when they truly find themselves, they also find that they were way more than friends and I completely blame the show for telling me that. 

I couldn't agree more

• Love 2