Type keyword(s) to search

DC TVU Mafia

• Start Topic

That was harsh, condolences to CP & caprice.

So I noticed a couple of things from Day 2;

• 'Miss Lance, assistant district attorney from Central City' - Laurel lives and works in Starling City not Central City, could be an honest error but it is referred to twice and both mods know these shows so that surprises me...as for what it might mean, no idea I'm afraid.
  • Like Dougal the Ketel One also stood out to me - it is vodka produced by the Nolet Distillery in Schiedam, the Netherlands. "Ketel One Vodka is distilled from 100% wheat in copper pot stills, filtered over loose charcoal, and rests in tile lined tanks until ready. Ketel One Vodka is named after the original copper pot still, “Distilleerketel #1.” - Again no idea if that is the clue or not?
  • As TJ mentions above I too picked up on "She was alternately furious with Barbara for having been gone so long" - as should read 'Laurel' but also guessed it's probably just a typo.

and also from Night 1:

• grand cru Bordeaux - another alcohol ref, unless of course Mark & Lis just like their boozy references ;)
  • China white - another drug ref, but interestingly for those who don't watch Arrow, this is also the name of a villain in that show

Back to further pondering...

• Love 3
  • Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reference to copper is interesting, because I keep thinking of redheads. We have ginger-ale, Opie, "sanguine," which is another word for red, now copper. I don't know what it would mean though and I think the stories so far have been 1 clue each so it's probably me being paranoid.

I didn't get anything out of the Day 1 story but the word "nutter" which seems too obvious.

Day 2, Custer's last stand reference, in which he was defeated by Crazy Horse, among others. I also looked for something with "blackjack" but only came up with the number 21, and it seems like a stretch for that to be referencing Jessied112.

Night 1 potential clues were Laurel dumping her drink in a fake plant (fake hero?) and Bruce talking about "reversing" the evolution of a city.

But as I still feel bad for helping to kill egavasc last time and let's not talk about TCS, I don't know. But I thought I'd throw out whatever I had.

• Love 3

MOD NOTE:

There are no clues in this post.

Since we have a lot of new players lately, and we're over halfway through this Day, I thought I'd mention something.  My clues, at least so far, can be hard to find.  The reason for that is that ideally, Mafia shouldn't be a game of "spot the clue and jump on the David Lynch"; it's about personal interactions and observing behavior.  So yes, search for the clues, throw out theories, but spend equal effort in watching how the discussion develops and how different people respond to the theories, and watching how they vote, and many times patterns will emerge.  But to do that, you need more discussion to watch :)

I do not feel it would be fair to discuss whether or not certain items in the story were typos outside of a story post, so do not construe this as advocating one way or another on that issue.

Clock is ticking.

• Love 2

Yeah, I got a pretty amazing amount of nothin' this time. Doesn't help that sleep has been aggressively eluding me lately.

You too, eh? I'm the same. I wish I could get a good nights worth of sleep - that would be nice for once. And I still have nothing with the story - dammit! MarkHB, you are too good with inserting the story clues....So confused but I just want to help out somehow...

• Love 2

So confused but I just want to help out somehow...

That's it exactly! There's stuff goin' on, and we've already lost two heroes, and I don't want us to lose any more. I want to rally our defenses, but I don't know where to start.

• Love 2

The rest of you probably know each other better than I do, I remember in past games on the old board I'd try to switch up how I acted, but I always found it hard to not act like a Villain when I was(which I'm not now).  If anything stands out to anyone in particular, don't be afraid to say something, discussion is really important!

• Love 2

Ok, so here is the thing.  The stories are LONG, however, they are great.  And looking for clues in such a long story, well, when you are a paranoid hero like me, everything is a clue.  ::giggle::

Something that grabbed my attention however. 

Calm seems to be a running theme:

The incident with Captain Cold had thrown the whole evening off, and it took the combined efforts of all the GCPD officers in attendance to keep things calm and under control.

and:

Safely outside, unseen by the crowds who had completely given up on anything remotely resembling "calm and under control," Victor Zsasz took a large Bowie knife from his belt and added another tally mark to the collection of scars on his arm.

and then this:

Merlyn was taken aback that the canny mobster didn't see how wonderful his plan for the Narrows was, but as the saying went, he never let them see him sweat.

and this:

Don Carmine Falcone had lived by the adage "Never let them see you sweat" long enough that his underarm glands barely functioned, but if there was ever a time to drop the pretense, this was it.

Interesting we have a player whose mere name denotes calm and peace.  Halcyon Days.  Hmmmmm...

Thoughts?

• Love 2

I'm going to be endearingly(?) pedantic in the way of English majors everywhere, but I think 'grace under pressure' calmness is as far from 'halcyon' as you can get. "Never let them see you sweat" is about deception, not tranquility. Although it is a little odd to see the phrase twice in quick succession like that. Maybe it's referring to someone whose username is backwards, showing the opposite of their true intentions?

• Love 2

Enough people have pointed fingers at me that I have to speak up and say that I'm totally a nobody on the side of the good. Those clue interpretations are wrong. I hate starting lynches but we good guys don't stand a chance of we don't find a villian soon.

• Love 2

Good call Biz. There definitely appears to be a few 'calm' references dotted around. Quite obviously "never let them see you sweat" is just another way of describing 'keeping calm' - that makes logical sense to me.

The fact that Tabbyclaw seems so opposed to that perfectly reasonable conclusion and immediately turns it (in what imo, is a massive stretch in credibility) on another is in itself odd...I sincerely doubt that the clues are *that* cryptic; do you know something we don't TC?

• Love 1
Interesting we have a player whose mere name denotes calm and peace.  Halcyon Days.  Hmmmmm...

True..but that's not the only thing my name means! It also refers to kingfisher birds. However, if you go into my profile and see where my name comes from, it is the name of a song by a group called The Tea Party (not the political group! The band was here first!).

And there is a character out there who may enjoy tea...just saying. *hint hint* Didn't MarkHB say that the clues were more difficult though? Or maybe I'm underthinking things...

• Love 2

Oh, wow, I never even thought to go into people's profiles to look for clues. Dunno if that's "fair game" or not.

Like Tabbyclaw, I interpret "never let them see you sweat" as much more of a "keep a good public face going" rather than "keep calm", and just point out that jumping on someone for not agreeing with something is just as suspicious as or even more suspicious than not agreeing with something....

• Love 2

I don't see making an observation as 'jumping on someone' I wasn't pointing the finger at or accusing anyone, merely interpreting what has been presented. Also, irony much? As that is exactly what you are now doing....

ETA "keep a good public face going" is blatantly another way of saying "publicly keeping one's calm" specifically the not sweating part. So much so that I'm now wondering whether some people are being purposely obtuse?...hmmmm.

• Love 2

My clues, at least so far, can be hard to find. The reason for that is that ideally, Mafia shouldn't be a game of "spot the clue and jump on the David Lynch

I'm going to take this as a very helpful way of saying that all of my suspicions are wrong and that the clue is coming from inside the house!

Social cues are haaard. Can't somebody just tell me they're a villain? Hey, hey, remember, SVNBob won as last villain standing and he practically wrote it on his forehead all game. That sounds fun, huh? Huh? Anybaddie?

I don't like this, you guys. It's too hushed in here.

• Love 4

I am also worried about lynching a hero but the alternative is to do nothing and thus have zero chance of lynching any villain....gah, it's difficult but to all my fellow heroes; remember this:

Quote:

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.'

• Love 4

Wow, mods turning on mods. This game is getting intense!

On another note, today is my birthday, and I'm going to be sneaking in to the bar a wee bit early to start my celebration.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
  • Love 2

Wow, mods turning on mods. This game is getting intense!

On another note, today is my birthday, and I'm going to be sneaking in to the bar a wee bit early to start my celebration.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY stacey!! Have a good one and don't party too hard!!

• Love 2

I find it fascinating that there are quick defenses shooting up when one of us hero's hazards a guess at a clue.

In the interest of getting something started while it is still day, I have some possibilities.  I don't want to offer TCS to the ghost realm yet, although the squirrely thing did seem like a clue.  Also there was mention of graffiti, and we have a writer here.  Was there even "t"(ea) mentioned?  Did we actually have someone pick apart my clue about the calm to deflect it being about someone that has a reverse name?

Anyway, one off clues don't usually lead to anything.

The calm thing continues to fascinate me, and those that were quick to discount it, that worries me too.  That was just too much too soon, so with that being said:

1 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (BizBuzz), 8 to stir up the winds of change.

ETA:  Changed the number needed to vote.

Edited by BizBuzz
Calculations were off.
  • Love 1

I'm back! And thank you for the birthday wishes, all!

I'm not prepared to vote on a David Lynch (one too many birthday Guinness beers, methinks!), and I get a bit dizzy reading. But I do think we actually need nine votes to lynch, yes? Sixteen active players, and we need a majority, which would be 8 + 1?

Now, I'm going to go lay down for a bit...

• Love 1

So I went back through the previous stories and looked at gameplay, and I tried to look up anything that looked like it might be a clue.  One thing that popped out at me was the repeated use of banal, at the party everyone's exchanging "banal greetings" then the next story has a mention of the word too, so I looked up the definition.  Apparently banal means "not important", so maybe another way of saying it is that the characters were simply saying something once they figured out it was Bruce who was asking the questions, maybe to distract from the awkwardness of realizing that the kid had lost his parents?

The other thing I noticed is that Opie requests a slice of Margarita pie, with Margarita capitilized, not sure if that's a clue but it's kind of an odd place to have a capital letter.  Anyway, even though we don't have much time, I'm going to join the lynch because I like the idea of calm or not letting them see you sweat being a clue.

2 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (BizBuzz, writingdreamer) 7 to stir the winds of change.

Edited by BizBuzz
Calculations were off.
  • Love 2

Mod Note:

With a lynch in progress, and given the dearth of discussion over the weekend, I will give you a 24-hour extension to complete Day.  Once Night does fall, I'd be receptive to discussion about how everyone wants to handle the Thanksgiving holiday game-wise.

Also, Betty is correct: it takes a total of 9 votes to secure a lynch.

Once again, Day is extended 24 hours, to roughly 11:10 PM Monday night EST / 4:10 AM GMT.

Clues?  No, none here, either.

• Love 3

Well I've had a crazy day today, and I'm driving home tomorrow for the holiday, so don't know if I'll be around. Glad to see we got an extension.

I could see the connection of calm to Halcyon. Though my mind immediately went to the phrase "calm before the storm." Plus there was that overcast sky...

I don't know, I want everyone to discuss. Why hasn't everyone checked in?

• Love 2

Apparently my naming a proxy wasn't as necessary as I'd anticipated, was it?

Thanks for the list, Bob. Bullock would be a Hero - he's Jim's partner (and hopefully will be ready to avenge him!).

The question mark on Bullock wasn't about his affiliation. It was about him being one of the PCs, vs an NPC. Somehow I had it in my mind he was the last character to appear, and was thus the most in doubt of being a PC. But Cold actually appeared last. However, going by the numbers, Cold has to be a PC. The villain team would have been too small, pre-recruitement, otherwise.

All this to say that there's still one extra person on the Hero list. The question is who? Me, I thought it might be Bullock, but after reading back I'm no longer sure. I do have one other thought as to who, but I hesitate to say because it may be a spoiler for something that might happen.

I'm gonna read the Night story again as well, since all I really remember is smirking at that older couple that was gonna fly home...

Ditto. Two more good cameos. I'm just waiting for Bruce Lee to show up.

That reference to copper is interesting, because I keep thinking of redheads. We have ginger-ale, Opie, "sanguine," which is another word for red, now copper. I don't know what it would mean though and I think the stories so far have been 1 clue each so it's probably me being paranoid.

Interesting catch. Looking at the list of names, there's nothing that immediately connects to red. There's a couple of animalistic names that could loosely be connected to red, and one name with a very different color, but nothing concrete. (And I deliberately did not use any of those names, as I don't wish to imply any accusations against those three at this time. Although in future...?)

What I really suspect is that this trail of redness is made of herrings.

Social cues are haaard. Can't somebody just tell me they're a villain? Hey, hey, remember, SVNBob won as last villain standing and he practically wrote it on his forehead all game. That sounds fun, huh? Huh? Anybaddie?

Man, I spoiled ya'll, didn't I? It was hard to stop myself from putting those hints to my identity in, even when I had to stretch to get some of them. Maybe it's a habit I haven't broken yet...?

The other thing I noticed is that Opie requests a slice of Margarita pie, with Margarita capitilized, not sure if that's a clue but it's kind of an odd place to have a capital letter.

That is a little odd. I thought it might have been a misspelling of Margherita, as in the pizza pie, which seems to be capitalized more often in the research (ok, one Google search) I did. But it could be a margarita-flavored desert pie also, as I saw a few of those (in a different search. Saw lime and strawberry varieties, for a start.), but typically uncapitalized. And the context supports the desert pie, so this could have been a wild gooseberry chase.

I know we need to DL someone, but I'm not 100% sold on the one going on. I'm not in on this one, yet.

• Love 2

Ah hell.  I don't want to, but I've got to do this.  This isn't what it looks like, OK?  It's based on an actual argument grounded in actions in the thread since the start of this game.

1 Spruce (SVNBob) 8 to go.

• Love 2

Well I've had a crazy day today, and I'm driving home tomorrow for the holiday, so don't know if I'll be around. Glad to see we got an extension.

I could see the connection of calm to Halcyon. Though my mind immediately went to the phrase "calm before the storm." Plus there was that overcast sky...

I don't know, I want everyone to discuss. Why hasn't everyone checked in?

As I said before to put it in context; the full description was a 'perpetually overcast sky' and storms are not perpetual...plus 'the calm before the storm'? So someone spots the calm references and rather than go to someone who's very name means calm, you think it should involve another step further? Seriously? Allow me to help you out, how about these calm quotes/phrases;

• 'Keep Calm & Carry On'?
  • "Those who act with few desires are calm, without worry or fear” – Buddha?
  • “Compassion, tolerance, forgiveness and a sense of self-discipline are qualities that help us lead our daily lives with a calm mind” – Dalai Lama?

Or, how about other words that also mean calm? Maybe some of these apply to players here:

• Peaceful
  • Quiet
  • Composed
  • Serenity
  • Tranquil

With all that said; 3 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (BizBuzz, writingdreamer, Silverstormm) 6 to see which way the wind blows.

• Love 2

I couldn't really find any clues in the stories, so I've been hanging back on the off chance that someone else could spot something actionable.  The "calm" thing seems about as good as anything, so....

4 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (BizBuzz, writingdreamer, Silverstormm, The Crazed Spruce) 5 to rock you like a hurricane.

• Love 3

Ah hell.  I don't want to, but I've got to do this.  This isn't what it looks like, OK?  It's based on an actual argument grounded in actions in the thread since the start of this game.

1 Spruce (SVNBob) 8 to go.

Well ah hell right back atcha SVNBob, that was all kind of cryptic.

All I can imagine is that you either deflecting the vote away from HD, or you are trying to split the vote.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

• Love 1

Aw man, you guys...really, you want to lynch me? But I'm cute!! *sadface*

Since I am new, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to come in here and defend myself, but I'll try because I don't want us to inadvertently take out a THIRD hero, thus giving the villains a huge advantage. And of course it will look like I am deflecting, but hear me out anyway.

The clues that BizBuzz stated above are really good ones. The really are...except it's quite the red herring. Biz listed four or five different clues hinting at calm being me, though much of the dialogue is standard lines someone would say in those circumstances. Don't you think this is a bit of overkill? The excessive amount of clues?? I mean, according to those clues, I would be every villain and probably a couple of the minions also in the DC-verse.

It's like a huge bright neon Vegas sign pointing to the captured "killer", while the actual killer is lurking in the shadows, giggling over how the cops could make such a huge oversight. Just like in any TV cop show - they always arrest the wrong person at first (on too obvious and convenient evidence, usually), before one of the lead characters then figures out that one clue that points them to the true killer. And that killer is usually the one with the forceful demeanour and quick to accuse, because they are trying not to get caught and think confidence will hide their crimes.

From the famous open letter published by Emile Zola: J'Accuse. (Zola pointing out judicial errors and lack of serious evidence.)

Again, I know I can only try to defend myself, but I can't help wonder why BizBuzz and Silverstormm seem so eager to J'Accuse, on such obvious red herring evidence, especially when we know that MarkHB has stated that he is being quite subtle and crafty with his clues.

• Love 2

HD I don't know whether you are a villain or not, but with none of us having any definitive clues; if we lynch no-one then all the villains will definitely survive. We need to flush out the villains based on what we can observe rather than play tit for tat accusation, because that way the risk increases that we will lynch a hero, which I for one do not want to do. If you have any better ideas I'm prepared to listen to you or anyone who comes up with sound reasoning rather than knee jerk reactions or thoughts that stretch credibility so thin you can see through it.

• Love 2

All I can imagine is that you either deflecting the vote away from HD, or you are trying to split the vote.

This isn't either of those. I just didn't have time to explain before, and wanted to get this second vote started before Night falls again. Now I have the time to explain my theory.

During the first Day discussion, the main point of talk was us circling around the idea of lynching Spruce first...again, putting him in danger...again. Now look at the Night story after that. One character gets surrounded by danger, i.e. the villians. Which character was that? Laurel.

Mark likes the story to reflect the gameplay. Look back at the old game he linked to to see that. So I took the two parallels of thread and story as a connection. Which lead me to think Spruce is Laurel and could be trusted as a Hero. And I wasn't going to participate in any lynches for him if I could avoid it.

Until Day 2 broke. Laurel had been turned to Team Villian. Which, if I'm right (and that is the question here), that means Spruce was recruited and thus an unavoidable target. And at this point, he's really the only target I have any real confidence in, well, targetting.

HD could be a Villian too. For all I know, HD's the one that recruited Spruce in the first place. I'm not exactly a sage after all. And if the vote goes that way, I'll be fine with that. I'm willing to change my vote to HD to complete the lynch if need be.

All I'm saying is that it would have been wrong to lynch Spruce yesterDay, but not toDay. Does that make sense?

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 2

The argument against Spruce seems much stronger than the one against HD. Sorry, Spruce!

2 to David Lynch The Crazed Spruce (MarkHB, Dougal); 7 to shout obscenities into the trunk of his car.

4 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (BizBuzz, writingdreamer, Silverstormm, The Crazed Spruce); 5 to rock you like a hurricane.

Please do not try to claim the Game Mod is in on your David Lynch.

Ooooooh Freudian Slip? ;)

• Love 3

All I'm saying is that it would have been wrong to lynch Spruce yesterDay, but not toDay. Does that make sense?

It really does. A lot more than the HD reasoning. (Look, I'm not trying to protect anyone out of insider knowledge, because the only living player whose alignment I know is me. I just really think the 'calm' thing is a terrible clue.) And in the interest of "we gotta go after someone" and this line of reasoning making sense to me, I'll go with it.

3 to David Lynch The Crazed Spruce (SVNBob, Dougal, Tabbyclaw); 7 to shout obscenities into the trunk of his car.

4 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (BizBuzz, writingdreamer, Silverstormm, The Crazed Spruce); 5 to rock you like a hurricane.

Edited because it took me a long time to post and Dougal added himself before I did.

Edited by Tabbyclaw
  • Love 2

Please do not try to claim the Game Mod is in on your David Lynch.

*snort*

Nice try there, @Dougal!

Yeah, I'm still on the fence here, and just popping in at the end of my lunch hour. I can definitely see some value in both of the lynches, but I have to be honest - the vociferousness that @BizBuzz and especially @SilverStormm are showing in their effort to lynch @HalcyonDays is giving me pause. It feels like an awful lot of energy directed towards the implication that the word 'calm' means it must be HD. Just sayin'.

I'll be back later, after some more rumination.

• Love 1

Well, because I like the drama, and there are excellent points made on both ends...

4 to David Lynch The Crazed Spruce (SVNBob, Dougal, Tabbyclaw, jessied112); 5 to shout obscenities into the trunk of his car.

If we do get Laurel, I'll be more than happy; I'd love to watch her die in a fiery death of paperwork, cars and arrows being shot by the undead Sara, AKA, THE REAL BLACK CANARY.

Edited by jessied112
  • Love 4

Well, I guess I have no choice. Sorry Spruce.

5 to David Lynch The Crazed Spruce (SVNBob, Dougal, Tabbyclaw, jessied112, HalcyonDays); 4 to shout obscenities into the trunk of his car (and save my ass).

Thanks Dougal - I appreciate the effort! :')

• Love 2

*snort*

Nice try there, @Dougal!

Yeah, I'm still on the fence here, and just popping in at the end of my lunch hour. I can definitely see some value in both of the lynches, but I have to be honest - the vociferousness that @BizBuzz and especially @SilverStormm are showing in their effort to lynch @HalcyonDays is giving me pause. It feels like an awful lot of energy directed towards the implication that the word 'calm' means it must be HD. Just sayin'.

I'll be back later, after some more rumination.

Not vociferousness here stacey, I was simply going with what had been presented for lack of any other 'evidence' or suspect at the time; I even stated earlier that I didn't know whether HD was a villain or not; that isn't the behaviour of someone being 'vociferous'.

Also, I have noted, it is very easy to keep quiet until you see which way the wind is blowing and then sit in judgement on others who have tried to move the game along....Just sayin'.

Anyway, in demonstration of my point above; I have since taken into consideration SVNBob's reasoning and am now changing my vote.

6 to David Lynch The Crazed Spruce (SVNBob, Dougal, Tabbyclaw, jessied112, HalcyonDays, Silverstormm); 3 to blow the cobwebs away

3 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (BizBuzz, writingdreamer, The Crazed Spruce); 6 to rock you like a hurricane.

• Love 2

Now see SVNBob, all you had to do was give me a compelling argument ... I am not so calloused as to not accept reason when I see it.  I still think it a little unfair to drop a bomb and then walk away, however, I say live and let live at this point.

In the interest of being able to complete a David Lynch before night fall, I will allow my head to be turned towards TCS. 

7 to David Lynch The Crazed Spruce (SVNBob, Dougal, Tabbyclaw, jessied112, HalcyonDays, Silverstormm, BizBuzz); 2 to scatter nuts on the earth and see which one takes root

2 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (writingdreamer, The Crazed Spruce); 7 to allow the Halcyon Days of peace permeate Day 2

• Love 1

*sigh*  I always seem to have a target on my back, don't I?

I am a hero, and I'm definitely not... HER.  It's probably gonna fall on deaf ears, but I felt the need to set the record straight.

Personally, I find it highly suspicious that SVNBob tries to DL me based on what you'll probably soon see is the flimsiest of evidence.  Between that and self-preservation, I'm changing my vote, too....

7 to David Lynch The Crazed Spruce (SVNBob, Dougal, Tabbyclaw, jessied112, HalcyonDays, Silverstormm, BizBuzz); 2 to Apple a hero

1 to David Lynch SVNBob (The Crazed Spruce); 8 to avoid a terrible mistake

1 to David Lynch Halcyon Days (writingdreamer); 8 to follow the original plan

• Love 2

I know it sounds weird coming from the last game, but I trust Bob in this game. Sorry Spruce...

8 to David Lynch The Crazed Spruce (SVNBob, Dougal, Tabbyclaw, jessied112, HalcyonDays, Silverstormm, BizBuzz, Athena); 1 to eat Jell-O.

• Love 3