Type keyword(s) to search

Mad Men Mafia

• Start Topic

R.I.P. Machiabelly. You were so brave.

Only thing that stood out to me was "he wants me to spin it out but he doesn't understand my generation", of course maybe that's just how the character talks.

I thought that was weird too, so I looked it up and it's a way of saying that you're "prolonging a negotiation." I don't know if it's a phrase that characters use on the show, or if it's a clever clue though. Going back to Night 2 (thanks, Silver) there was the location of the "previously unnamed Italian restaurant," which was odd. So I googled "1960's new york italian restaurant" and the third link is an article called "Don Draper's New York." On page 9 there's a restaurant called the 21 Club, described:

Though it has never actually been featured on Mad Men, '21' Club could easily serve as a stand-in for any of the swanky, nameless restaurants where Don, Betty and the Sterling Cooper ad men wine and dine.

Which made me think of jessied112. I also spent an hour googling Black Forest Cake and American football rivalries, because apparently this game is driving me insane. And I don't know if Samsonite appeared as a corporation in Mad Men or if it even matters if it did, but it's founder was named Jesse Schwayder.

Other things that get me nowhere:

Harvey grumbling about getting little respect, paraphrasing a famous catchphrase by comedian Rodney Dangerfield.

The numbers 330, as in three-thirty meetings.

German food.

That "little elves" line.

• Love 3
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks,

We found their recruit! This isn't a bad thing! I won't say more until it's Day again.

The other thing I was going to add was that it seems that there was a condition that stated if one side's recruiter found Bob, then the other side's recruitment ability would be lost.  That is an interesting permutation I hadn't seen before.

We can't 100% trust this, but this is the list of the surviving players who didn't make it into the CuriousParker lynch.  Names in italics voted to lynch SVNBob; names in bold haven't voted for either lynch.

Athena

photo fox

jessied112

TMunz

writingdreamer

Dougal

The older woman was nodding over her typewriter...

Typewriter?  "Nodding" as in falling asleep?  To sleep, perchance..... ;)

• Love 3

RIP Machiabelly and damn because you were someone I'd figured out was a hero! We will avenge you.

I like MarkHB's potential clue: "Typewriter?  "Nodding" as in falling asleep?  To sleep, perchance..... ;)"

We should remember the earlier possible clues too like 'The Russian Tea Room' potential connection to Lisin.

I haven't combed through for clues from Day 4 yet, I will do that later when I get a chance as I have a houseful here and it's pandemonium atm!

• Love 1
I like MarkHB's potential clue: "Typewriter?  "Nodding" as in falling asleep?  To sleep, perchance..... ;)"

We should remember the earlier possible clues too like 'The Russian Tea Room' potential connection to Lisin.

That's the thing about not having seen a show and playing the game, we start looking for clues but they are also part of the show.

As an MM watcher, I will confirm that Mrs Blakenship (Machiabelly's character) did die on a type writer on the show.

But I looked up the Russian Tea Room to jog my memory and it wasn't on the show so like you Silver, maybe we should set our eyes on on Lisin...

• Love 2

I agree, that lisin clue seems really suspicious to me for some reason!  I'd be willing to vote in a DL if someone else started it off, just because it always confuses me how many players we'd need for one and all that.

But I looked up the Russian Tea Room to jog my memory and it wasn't on the show so like you Silver, maybe we should set our eyes on on Lisin...

Guys! I'm a hero! I even voted to DL CuriousParker last round! I've just been busy so I haven't been really chatty on here. Blame the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Arrow forums!! :)

I've never seen Mad Men so I'm having a bit of a hard time discerning a clue from a regular reference, however I'd like to point out that writingdreamer was one of the players who hasn't voted at all for a DL... that coupled with the typewriter clue makes me think that perhaps I'm being targeted specifically because I am a hero! 

• Love 1

The only thing that stands out to me this time is 'my generation', which put me in mind of the famous song by The Who. I looked it up but can't make a connection, maybe someone else can?

Lis, voting to DL someone, really proves nothing as villains will often participate in an inevitable lynch of a fellow villain, merely to throw heroes off the scent, especially when they are almost the last to join said lynch . I'm not saying you are a villain, just saying that that reasoning means little.

• Love 1

Lis, voting to DL someone, really proves nothing as villains will often participate in an inevitable lynch of a fellow villain, merely to throw heroes off the scent, especially when they are almost the last to join said lynch . I'm not saying you are a villain, just saying that that reasoning means little.

I've actually done that a few rounds ago. (To be more specific, I got the other villains to finish off a DL against me. I'm pretty sure I was the only villain killed off that round, so it's not like the tactic doesn't work....)

Personally, I'm still not convinced that BizBuzz is a hero.

• Love 2

All I can do is swear that I'm a Hero, I've just been very busy lately and to be honest, forgot about the game early on.  That being said, I'm just glad that apparently Mrs. Blankenship dying over her typewriter really happened on the show, otherwise I'd be in trouble! ;)

• Love 2

Oh hey, I've seen my name! Well, I guess the obligatory, and very true, statement of "I'm a hero guys, really" is in place. I've never seen Mad Men, so all of this is kind of lost on me, sadly. Also, university. Yeah, and I get lazy and forget to come on here to post stuff, but that's just me.

As for the other possibilities, I'm not entirely convinced of any yet. 

• Love 1

Hmmmm ... I thought we were going somewhere with the whole typewriter thing, then to be told that was a real happening on the show ... who says you don't need to watch a show to understand this game.

I am really bad at clues ... but I can be easily led, and right now I am kind of lost, so if anyone wants to throw some stuff at me, I promise I will consider it.

• Love 1

Again ... really?  We are going on the word of TCS, who has been DL'd more times than I care to count, and this might just be some sort of vengeance from some past game since I have pointed a finger at him on more than one occasion.

I am going to be a stand up hero and go with the clue instead of a "feeling" ...

1 to DL Lisin (BizBuzz), 6 to go where the clues lead me

States: "I may be an asshole but I'm not 100% a dick...."

Translation: I do suspect Biz but, as it stands the evidence against Lis is stronger; the russian connection appears to be so blatant in comparison of the two.

2 to DL Lisin (BizBuzz, SilverStormm), 5 to hook the feeling

• Love 1

Again ... really?  We are going on the word of TCS, who has been DL'd more times than I care to count, and this might just be some sort of vengeance from some past game since I have pointed a finger at him on more than one occasion.

Trying to use the results from past games against me? If I didn't already know you were a villain, that would clinch it. My vote stands.
  • Love 1

Trying to use the results from past games against me? If I didn't already know you were a villain, that would clinch it. My vote stands.

'Know' is a strong word. Do you mean you actually know or you strongly suspect TCS? Because if you say you 'know' for a fact, I may change my vote based on that, as I don't 'know' that Lis is a villain but that clue makes me strongly suspect she could be.

• Love 2

Well, I went back to a couple of the stories to read through them and I do think the Russian clue is the best one we got. On day 3, it even mentioned kahlua at the end of that story, and kahlua is used in many drinks, like the Black and White Russian drinks, so I'm gonna hesitantly join the bandwagon. I haven't been wrong on a DL much (I think only once) but I guess this could count as a second time.

4 to DL Lisin(BizBuzz, Silverstormm, writingdreamer, jessied112) 3 to secure a client.

• Love 2

Well, I think the clue does seem to indicate Lisin right now, but it doesn't mean Biz is completely innocent either. I just haven't seen any clue for her lately that's as viable as the Russian tea room...

5 to David Lynch Lisin(BizBuzz, Silverstormm, writingdreamer, jessied112, Athena) 2 to twiddle their thumbs.

• Love 1

This is one I can get on board with.

4 to DL BizBuzz (Spruce, Markhb, Lisin, stacey), 3 to sell more nylons.

I feel the clues against Lisin are stronger than against BizBuzz.

6 to David Lynch Lisin(BizBuzz, Silverstormm, writingdreamer, jessied112, Athena, TMunz) 1 to watch the ratings.

I'd appreciate if we could keep the votes together.

• Love 1

Oh. Em. Gee. I've been traveling so much for work I can barely keep up with my regular mod duties, and totally forgot about this. Glad to see I only missed one vote. I don't watch MM, so I can't help much with the discussion.

I like the clues against Lis.

4 to DL BizBuzz (Spruce, Markhb, Lisin, stacey), 3 to sell more nylons

7 to David Lynch Lisin(BizBuzz, Silverstormm, writingdreamer, jessied112, Athena, TMunz, photo fox) 0 to roll credits

But, seriously, SilverStormm, you have actual blooming living things in Britain right now? I kind of hate you. (Just jealousy, it's going to be -4F/-20C here in the morning.)

• Love 1

Oh. Em. Gee. I've been traveling so much for work I can barely keep up with my regular mod duties, and totally forgot about this. Glad to see I only missed one vote. I don't watch MM, so I can't help much with the discussion.

I like the clues against Lis.

4 to DL BizBuzz (Spruce, Markhb, Lisin, stacey), 3 to sell more nylons

7 to David Lynch Lisin(BizBuzz, Silverstormm, writingdreamer, jessied112, Athena, TMunz, photo fox) 0 to roll credits

But, seriously, SilverStormm, you have actual blooming living things in Britain right now? I kind of hate you. (Just jealousy, it's going to be -4F/-20C here in the morning.)

Seems it all happened whilst I was sleeping! I guess Biz can keep till next day TCS?

Photo Fox, we have things blooming all year round even in Dec & Jan! Today it is 6C/43F, However, whilst we don't (usually) get harsh winters, neither do we (usually) get hot summers! It's a trade off; we get 'kinda cold' and 'kinda warm' with the odd week of very warm if we're lucky lol.

• Love 2

[mod note] You bastards!! You killed Kenny!!![/mod note]

Night Four
Deli: (Stan, Ginz, Peggy, Harry)
Peggy’s mood was not helped by the state of the pastrami – dry and tasteless – and the mustard wasn’t doing much either. “Why do we keep coming back here?” she wondered in annoyance.

“It’s convenient to the office,” Harry suggested. “At least, that’s all I can think of.”

“Oh, Pegs, the pastrami’s always dry.” Stan grinned over his coffee cup. “You know what you need for that, right? You need a little tongue.”

Harry and Peggy groaned while Ginz looked disgusted. “You’re a real smart-ass, Stan.”

Bert’s office: (Don, Bert, Pete, Ken, Lane)
The row of shoes outside Bert’s office was extensive by the time Don got there. Pete, Ken and Lane were inside with Bert, and none of them looked happy.

“What’s going on?” he asked, taking a seat near Lane.

“Don, I’m glad you could join us,” Bert intoned. “I’m afraid I have some bad news.” He went on to explain that the company had received a cease and desist order from CGC in response to their efforts to woo Cadbury.

“But we were so close to signing them!” Lane protested.

Don interrupted with, “Yes, but I’ll bet CGC is claiming that we’re looking at a conflict of interest with one of our current clients, especially since Duck knows very well we don’t have Cadbury.”

“Hell’s bells!” Pete spoke up. “They’re not with CGC, either. I went over everything with Roger before he left and we have no conflict.”

“That’s not all, though, is it, Bert.” Ken noticed something in the older man’s face.

With a heavy sigh, Bert picked up the sheet of paper lying on his desk. “No, and I’m afraid it concerns you, young man.”

Ken’s face fell as Bert outlined the concessions made, particularly Ken’s moving to Detroit, effective immediately.

MSG: (Lee, Ted, Jim, Duck)
Looking around at their seats above the court, Jim opined, “If these people expect to do more sales of... whatever you said these are, they’re going to have to make a lot of improvements. ‘Luxury?’ I don’t think so.”

The crowd below them was humming with excitement over the men on the floor warming up for the game.  Lee and Jim both scoffed at the idea of luxury suites at sporting events. Duck argued that it could become quite a benefit for entertaining clients and Ted just sat back with his beer.

Contract renegotiated:
SVNBob - Freddy Rumsen – recruitable by either – Since being fired by Sterling and Cooper, and let’s be honest, it was a long time in coming, you’ve been at loose ends. You want to get back into the business and would prefer to work with Don, but.... Beggars can’t be choosers, so you’ll join the villains if CGC find you first. Until then, you may vote as you wish but you have no special powers.

TJtrack99 - Roger Sterling – Hero – Lately you’ve been coasting on your charm, which does go a long way, but you’re also a go-getter professionally and personally. Did anyone say “twins?”

Curious Parker - Bob Benson – Villain, investigator – You’re a mystery to everyone around you, making you a perfect choice to sneak around and gather information. With the ability to investigate one player each night you can share that information with your team. You should also know that Freddy Rumsen is looking for work. If you find him first, he’ll become a member of your team.

Machiabelly  - Mrs. Blankenship – Hero – You are an astronaut; the Queen of Perversions; the best secretary Don Draper ever had, and probably the only one he hasn’t slept with besides Peggy. You’ve certainly been around the block with your share of leadership though. Bert Cooper will never forget.

Lisin - Ken Cosgrove – Hero – Accounts man, published author, tap dancer, you are a man of many talents. You’re generally well-liked around the firm and do your job admirably.

Active accounts:
Athena
photo fox
Silverstormm
The Crazed Spruce
jessied112
TMunz
JayKay
BizBuzz
stacey
MarkHB
writingdreamer
Dougal

It is Night! You have 24 hours to get your Night Actions in.

There are two clues in the story.

• Love 1