Type keyword(s) to search

Mad Men Mafia

• Start Topic

I think I will stick with my amaretto sours ... they are nummy!  Thanks!

I've never tried one before and I'm feeling adventurous so bartender one amaretto sour for me as well!

• Love 1
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Town Of Salem. I might be a... *ahem* Veteran in that game. I've played at least 250 games, according to my achievement. But that video is uber cool.

Ah, I went out drinking in real life last night but I'll come back and drink some more! Barkeep, some of your finest scotch please! Or....anything, really. Surprise me!

• Love 1
Ah, Town Of Salem. I might be a... *ahem* Veteran in that game. I've played at least 250 games, according to my achievement.

If you've played that may games, you have to have been a Veteran at least once by now.  That's what I got in my first game.  Never successfully used my power, but did win that game.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 1

Night Two
The Russian Tea Room:
Lane and Don were waiting for their client to arrive. Don was impressed with how quickly the British man had acclimated to life in New York and considered him a friend. Or at least as close as he got to having friends.

“You were quite lucky there, Don. What exactly happened?”

“I’m still not sure,” Don said. “Somehow, it seems that Lucky Strike has teamed up with Duck Phillips, of all people, and from there it all gets fuzzy. I guess they told Bert that Lee would bring his account back to the company as long as I was no longer there.”

“And yet, you’re still here and we’re meeting with Jaguar.”

“There was a clause in someone’s contract that gave us some help there.”

“Well, I must say, I’m quite pleased to still have you around.” The clipped British accent made it sound better, reassuring even. “Ah, here they are!”

A previously unnamed Italian restaurant:
“Why are we here again?” Pete Campbell grumbled.

“I know, Pete, I know. We all know. You don’t like Italian food,” Harry mumbled.

“It’s what the client requested.” Ken sighed before he pulled out his chair and stumbled.

“Well, I suppose it could be worse. We could be stuck with German.” Pete was pouting, even as Ken tripped and tumbled.

“Ken, are you okay? Harry moved to help the normally chipper man to his feet.

“Fine, fine, thanks. I suppose I’m really wondering why the three of us are here. Pete and I are both in Accounts, you’re media... none of us are Creative.”

The three men stared at each other in befuddlement.

At CGC:
After sending Bob out for deli, Ted and Jim sat in the older man’s office swilling scotch. Jim was the first to speak. “I don’t know that Lee’s plan was necessarily the one to follow, Ted.”

“No, but I don’t think that Duck is all that objective in this, either.” Ted took another drink and added, “I’m not sure we can trust him.”

“If you’re not sure of him, then I wonder how you feel about the young man he sent over.” Cutler was suspicious since Duck and Lee had both been so closely involved with Sterling Cooper, once upon a time.

“Bob’s not bad.” Ted decided after a long pause. “I think he has a devious little mind. However, I think we need to do something about Rumsen. You do realize that he actually wants to get back into Draper’s good graces.”

Jim didn’t say anything for a long time. When he did, he was clear. “Cut Freddy loose. Send him to Topeka if you have to, but we can’t keep him here. After you do that, find out exactly what happened to keep Draper installed. We have to improve on Garner’s lousy plan.”

Contract renegotiated:

SVNBob - Freddy Rumsen – recruitable by either – Since being fired by Sterling and Cooper, and let’s be honest, it was a long time in coming, you’ve been at loose ends. You want to get back into the business and would prefer to work with Don, but.... Beggars can’t be choosers, so you’ll join the villains if CGC find you first. Until then, you may vote as you wish but you have no special powers.

Active accounts:
Athena
CuriousParker
Machiabelly
photo fox
Silverstormm
The Crazed Spruce
jessied112
Lisin
TMunz
TJtrack99
JayKay
BizBuzz
stacey
MarkHB
writingdreamer
Dougal

It is now Night. You have 24 hours from this time to submit any Night Actions.

There is one clue in this story.

My apologies for the insane timeline over the last week. I was out of town and after Friday afternoon was not able to get online.

• Love 1

Day Three
Lane’s office:

Lane had called on Pete and Peggy to discuss the Clearasil account. He’d been on the phone with the unhappy client and decided it would be necessary to take things up with the two people who were nominally in charge. He wanted to get to the bottom of it right away.

“Mr. Campbell, Miss Olson, please come in,” he called at the sound of the knock. They took seats and Lane explained the situation as best he could. He ended by saying, “So you can see why I’m a bit intrigued by what might be happening here.”

“Well, Lane,” Pete smarmed, “I must say I’m just as puzzled as you are. I thought things were going nicely with Clearasil.”

Peggy discreetly rolled her eyes. “Part of it is that Stan and Ginz are being a little secretive about the art concept. I’m anxiously awaiting their designs.”

The British man chuckled. “I suppose we don’t have to kill the cat just yet. However, I hope they’ll have something for us today.”

Roger’s office:
Roger was not off on the best start to a day. His wife had awakened him at a ridiculous hour to tell him about the dream she’d just had and he hadn’t been able to get back to sleep. Jane was a bit of a ditz, but she’d had strangely prophetic dreams in the past.

He’d called for Don and Bert once he got to the office and told them about what Jane had said.

Don scoffed. He hadn’t had much patience for the young woman during the brief time she’d been his secretary. However, Bert seemed to be taking it seriously.

“Ultimately, son, it comes down to whether or not you believe what Jane says,” the senior partner intoned. “We’ll have to wait and see, but in the meantime... what can we do for you?”

A seedy bar:
Lee and Duck were laughing over drinks. Lee had had to admit that his plan to oust Don hadn’t worked, but....

“Just you wait,” he slurred. He was sure of himself this time. “The silver-tongued, silver-haired bastard won’t know what hit him.”

A more upscale bar:
Jim and Ted waited in a corner booth. They’d made their call and were now anxious to see if their summons would be heeded and they could proceed quietly, or if he would make things difficult. In all fairness, if that was the way he wanted to go, they’d be more than happy to oblige and drag his name through the mud.

The door opened, a breeze stirred and in walked Roger Sterling. He saw his competitors right away and crossed to them, knowing what was about to happen. There was even a martini on the table for him.

“Really?” He wanted to laugh as he sat, the whole thing was so ridiculous. “You call me out here to ruin me and you think a drink will soften the blow?”

The other ad men exchanged a glance that clearly wondered what he might know, but Ted spoke up. “Roger, we all know you’ve been in the business a long time and you’ve had a great career –“

“But we want you gone.” Jim Cutler cut straight to the bone.

“Why?” Roger demanded. “I mean, it’s not like I have these little elves in my head, telling me to steal your clients.”

“No,” agreed Ted, “but at the same time, we all know you’ve burned some bridges... and Lee Garner is quite persuasive.”

“Oh, Teddy Chow-guh-guh, let’s be honest for once, shall we?”

Jim laughed. “Roger, you’re going to Cleveland, or we’re going so far over your head with your professional indiscretions, not even Bert Cooper will be able to save you.”

Roger sighed and thought, “Red, it’s been good knowing you.”

In the SCDP break room:
Ken, Harry and Mrs. Blankenship were sharing a bottle of kahlua in their coffee and laughing about the drawings Stan had left behind.

Contract renegotiated:
SVNBob - Freddy Rumsen – recruitable by either – Since being fired by Sterling and Cooper, and let’s be honest, it was a long time in coming, you’ve been at loose ends. You want to get back into the business and would prefer to work with Don, but.... Beggars can’t be choosers, so you’ll join the villains if CGC find you first. Until then, you may vote as you wish but you have no special powers.

TJtrack99 - Roger Sterling – Hero – Lately you’ve been coasting on your charm, which does go a long way, but you’re also a go-getter professionally and personally. Did anyone say “twins?”

Active accounts:
Athena
CuriousParker
Machiabelly
photo fox
Silverstormm
The Crazed Spruce
jessied112
Lisin
TMunz
JayKay
BizBuzz
stacey
MarkHB
writingdreamer
Dougal

It is now Day. You have 48 hours to discuss possible clues and renegotiate another contract.

Speaking of clues, there are two in the story. Well, two that I've intended. Who knows what y'all will find....

• Love 1

We will avenge you TJ!

I hope...because the clues are eluding me; my shortlist comprises of:

• 'kill the cat'
  • 'prophetic dreams'
  • 'breeze stirred'
  • martini
  • little elves
  • kahlua

Also from Night 2;

• The Russian Tea Room
  • A previously unnamed Italian restaurant?
  • German
  • 'Once upon a time'
  • Topeka

If anyone can find any relevance in any one or more of these, have at it! (and then tell us, please).

• Love 2

Damniiit! R.I.P. TJ.

Well, I used to live in Topeka but I'm not sure if it's a clue or it's just a way of saying Buckfum, Nowhere. It was the city that campaigned and won the dubious honor of being renamed "Google, Kansas" for a day a few years back. It's home to Westboro Baptist... Um... it was illegal to tease a squirrel there for a number of years? The local university's mascot is an Ichabod. It also featured in a song about a railroad... which would have led me straight to TJ. I just don't know.

• Love 2

"he called at the sound of the knock".  While the knock sound itself doesn't point to anyone that I could see, it does call to mind a doorbell as well, and that goes.... BizBuzz.

“The silver-tongued, silver-haired bastard won’t know what hit him.”  This one's pathetically obvious but I thought I'd mention it.

Clearasil is mentioned twice.  I don't know if it's an account on the show, but the only connection I could find is the "Z" in "Zit" connecting to BizBuzz.  Which is admittedly a stretch.

• Love 1

Also, we still have Cleveland in the mix, and as @MarkHB brought it up - lots of 'silver' in the latest story. And while booze DOES make me think of 'buzz', I doubt that is a clue, having watched this show - booze is everywhere in Mad Men; the only thing more prevalent on the show is smoking. There are other possible clues pointing towards Biz, so definitely not ruling her out. Also sticking out at me are 'German' and 'Creative' from the Night story.

I'm up too late. Need to stop analyzing this far past my bed time.

• Love 1

Yeah.... I mean the silver could only be more in your face if Caprice wrote: "The incoming stormm looked silver" LOL! 

Not sure about Biz, I still have that oddly phrased 'humming' in Day 1 in the back of my mind, but the jury is still out for me atm, unless anyone comes up with something else of course.

*I've got my eye on you Biz!

I would like to hear from our quieter peeps - what does Athena, CuriousParker, Photo Fox et al think? We need more team collaboration in here.

• Love 1

*I've got my eye on you Biz!

Um, ditto!  ::giggle::

Now for my rant:

Seriously?  I am getting pinged because of booze, zits and doorbells ... really???  That is beyond my comprehension ... there is a clue in the story that is so bright it shines like the sun ... and yet no one is willing to go after it?  WOW ... that defies logic ... I have seen two mentions of this particular clue so far, and yet no one is willing to start a lynch on it?

Do enlighten us as to what this clue is....! Because depending on what you say, it could reveal to me all I need to know. 

ETA Just a quick FYI to let everyone know that @egavasc has welcomed me aboard to co-mod the GoT game with her :D *Winter Is Coming* ;)

• Love 1

Yes, the Silver clue was pretty blatant but should we so easily dismiss it?  Like Stormm, I see a bunch of things that could be clues, but are they?  I was thinking maybe there was something about Clearisil but haven't been able to find a link to anyone yet.

• Love 1

Like Stormm, I see a bunch of things that could be clues, but are they?  I was thinking maybe there was something about Clearisil but haven't been able to find a link to anyone yet.

To be fair, Clearasil was an actual account on the Mad Men show so it may not be a clue.

Like you, I saw the "silver" thing too, but I'm not so sure it's that easy. Other than that, I'm always bad about finding clues.

• Love 2

Yes, the Silver clue was pretty blatant but should we so easily dismiss it?  Like Stormm, I see a bunch of things that could be clues, but are they?  I was thinking maybe there was something about Clearisil but haven't been able to find a link to anyone yet.

Ask yourselves, have you ever honestly known a Mafia clue to be that obvious? Because that wouldn't constitute a clue so much as the author virtually pointing directly to me and how would that be fair play? I'm under the impression that Mafia uses clues and behaviour to point towards a players 'guilt'. It would be akin to a game mod writing 'then he wrote dreamily in his notepad' or 'looking through the window for the 100th time, it dawned on her she actually was a nosy parker' lol. 

Furthermore, this is the definition of the word clue:

'anything that serves to guide or direct in the solution of a problem, mystery, etc.' courtesy of Dictionary.com - please note the words 'guide' and 'direct', nowhere does it say 'explicitly points out the solution/solves the mystery'. 

I'd also like to point out that my name was bandied around on Day 1 because of the 'dark cloud' - how many times would the game mod serve up clues to the same person in such short order? 

I am a hero and to the rest of my fellow heroes I say this; don't allow yourselves to be fooled by trickery and misdirection, I know we can dig out those villains if we stay strong... I believe 'The Truth is Out There…' - we simply need the confidence to strive to find it!

• Love 2
I would like to hear from our quieter peeps - what does Athena, CuriousParker, Photo Fox et al think? We need more team collaboration in here.

I'm here.  hee.

I've been quiet because I was sick all last week (whine) and work this week has been busy since I was out all last week (cry).  I should probably be working on somebody's case right now instead of reading this thread (sob). 

I've been able to keep up with the reading but no chance yet to dig deep enough for clues.  That said, I think I may have something, just give me a little time to prove it.

Ok so I've been delving a little more and found this:

The Russian Tea Room -

connection - (Vladimir Lisin) is a Russian steel tycoon. He is chairman and the majority shareholder of Novolipetsk or NLMK, one of the four largest steel companies in Russia. Also; (Enver Lisin) is a Russian ice hockey player.

Thoughts?

• Love 1

Ask yourselves, have you ever honestly known a Mafia clue to be that obvious? Because that wouldn't constitute a clue so much as the author virtually pointing directly to me and how would that be fair play?

I don't know... ask Stacey. ;)

Ok so I've been delving a little more and found this:

The Russian Tea Room -

connection - (Vladimir Lisin) is a Russian steel tycoon. He is chairman and the majority shareholder of Novolipetsk or NLMK, one of the four largest steel companies in Russia. Also; (Enver Lisin) is a Russian ice hockey player.

Thoughts?

The Russian Tea Room is a long-standing old-school restaurant in New York. Having said that, that's also exactly the sort of clue I would have used for Lisin had she not had immunity by being my co-mod ;) .

Little showsbup in the last 2 segments. Also German is mentioned as a bad thing. In the 60s HB was a brand of German cigarettes

Yeah... no.  I'm a hero, although that would be one of the more entertaining clues to me I have seen in my years playing this.  But it's not, as I'm a hero.

• Love 2

*smacks forehead* "Kill the cat." What killed the cat? Curiosity. It's even conveyed using a few different ways.

"He wanted to get to the bottom of it right away."

"So you can see why I’m a bit intrigued by what might be happening here."

"I must say I’m just as puzzled as you are."

"I’m anxiously awaiting their designs.”

"I suppose we don’t have to kill the cat just yet."

The last one is the most damning but it can't be coincidence that those characters are displaying curiosity in that scene. Unless someone used that phrase on Mad Men then I'm going to start a David Lynch on CuriousParker.

• Love 2

I don't know... ask Stacey. ;)

The Russian Tea Room is a long-standing old-school restaurant in New York. Having said that, that's also exactly the sort of clue I would have used for Lisin had she not had immunity by being my co-mod ;) .

Unless you used the actual name stacey as your clue, it isn't the same :p

*smacks forehead* "Kill the cat." What killed the cat? Curiosity. It's even conveyed using a few different ways.

"He wanted to get to the bottom of it right away."

"So you can see why I’m a bit intrigued by what might be happening here."

"I must say I’m just as puzzled as you are."

"I’m anxiously awaiting their designs.”

"I suppose we don’t have to kill the cat just yet."

The last one is the most damning but it can't be coincidence that those characters are displaying curiosity in that scene. Unless someone used that phrase on Mad Men then I'm going to start a David Lynch on CuriousParker.

Remember, whomever we decide to lynch, Caprice said there were TWO clues, she didn't say they were for the same person...just something to keep in mind for the next day!

• Love 2

So, we've got five possibilities on the table then?

@BizBuzz: doorbell, humming, booze and zits

@SilverStormm: "didn’t call for your head on a silver platter;" from Night One; "“The silver-tongued, silver-haired bastard" from Day Three

@Lisin: Russian Tea room; Vladimir and Enver Lisin

@MarkHB: HB cigarettes

@CuriousParker: 'kill the cat'

I am inclined to dismiss the possibility (at this time) of the HB cigarettes clue; that seems really obscure, honestly, but then, I will forever be associated with Stacy Kiebler and elves in this game, so I won't rule it out entirely (/glares at MarkHB). The repeated use of 'silver' DOES seem too obvious, but used in two different stories now? Could it also be linked more to the idea of 'silver fox,' thus pointing at @photo fox? Or is a spade just a spade in this instance, and 'silver' IS the true clue? The others are also very real possibilities as well, and MarkHB's acknowledgement of 'The Russian Tea Room' being a good clue for Lisin; the humming/doorbell for Biz is also solid. I went right by 'kill the cat,' re: CuriousParker, but now I can see it being a clue as well. So that's three pretty solid clues, with 'silver' being a very puzzling fourth in my mind.

Huh. One other thing I just noticed. All of these players are site moderators here. Could this be some attempt at turning all of us true Heroes upon each other, come up with by some of the non-moderators? I need to take a closer look at @Machiabelly and @JayKay's posts to name a few...hmm, @TMunz has been suspiciously quiet of late as well. There's a lot to think about here...

• Love 2

Huh. One other thing I just noticed. All of these players are site moderators here. Could this be some attempt at turning all of us true Heroes upon each other, come up with by some of the non-moderators? I need to take a closer look at @Machiabelly and @JayKay's posts to name a few...hmm, @TMunz has been suspiciously quiet of late as well. There's a lot to think about here...

Innnteresting theory but it only makes me wonder if the villains are all mods because the first hero to die was not! Dun dun dun! But to be fair there are a lot of mods playing so it's kind of hard to avoid making potshots at some of them. (*tiny voice* and tmunz is always quiet *glances furtively at tmunz*)

I'm still interested in CuriousParker's ideas before I start anything, though. Could be... illuminating.

• Love 2

In my defense, Stacy Kiebler is really, really freaking hot.  So there's that.

One thing I'll note about the SVNBob DL is that we can't really tell anything gameplay-wise from it.  He was an unrecruited recruit, meaning that the villains probably didn't know who he was, so from their POV it was most likely a DL of a hero.

• Love 2

Here're my thoughts JayKay:

Machiabelly based on what Silver mentioned earlier

"A previously unnamed Italian restaurant?":   When I see Machiabelly I think Niccolò Machiavelli who was an Italian and a writer.

When I checked out his (Niccolò's) Wiki page I also found this:

"German":  Ritracto delle cose della Magna (1508–1512) – Portrait of the affairs of Germany is book written by Niccolò.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccolò_Machiavelli

Well, gosh. I looked up Machiavelli as well, but there's so much info there on the dude that the stuff CP found seems kind of circumstantial. I was gonna take the hit in case I was wrong but since the ball is already rolling:

2 to DL CuriousParker (Machiabelly, JayKay) 6 to sign on the dotted line

• Love 2

Well shoot, I hate doing this cause poor CP has always not been able to play a game all the way through, but I am sorry CP ... the evidence is stacking up against you ... and we are running out of time ...

So with that ...

3 to DL CuriousParker (Machiabelly, JayKay, BizBuzz) 5 to start drinking early

Okay, this hasn’t been sitting quite right with me for a reason, and going back over the stories, the first possible clue someone brought up was ‘humming’ in the first story, which was linked to ‘buzzing’ – @BizBuzz. And after watching her moves over the game, I think there’s something hinky with Biz.

1 to DL @BizBuzz, (stacey), 7 to 'kill the buzz' (ugh. Sorry!)

• Love 1

Et tu Stacey?  Really?  I thought we had an understanding, you know, a kinship, a relationship, a friendship, and you start this ... how can you do this to a hero???

And I am going to thank folks in advance for not voting for me ... since I am a hero.

Hey, @BizBuzz, just trying to keep the game interesting - it's no fun when all the Heroes agree! I have my doubts about @CuriousParker as well, but having watched this show since it went on air, a few of your comments have me, shall we say, intrigued? I think you, Madam, are NO HERO! In fact, I'm convinced of it. While the 'kill the cat' to me seems to be a red herring, if you will - it's as blatant as multiple uses of 'Silver' are, once you say it out loud.

Honestly, I'd be okay with either of these DLs. So I'll stick with Biz...

• Love 1

While the 'kill the cat' to me seems to be a red herring, if you will - it's as blatant as multiple uses of 'Silver' are, once you say it out loud.

I disagree; how many of us read it and didn't instantly make the connection - I even had it as a bullet point! ....it's only obvious once it's pointed out, and just like @JayKay, I smacked myself upside the head for missing it.

• Love 2

I disagree; how many of us read it and didn't instantly make the connection - I even had it as a bullet point! ....it's only obvious once it's pointed out, and just like @JayKay, I smacked myself upside the head for missing it.

BIB - Which is why I said "once you say it out loud." I read right through your list, and didn't 'see' it. When @JayKay pointed it out, the first thing I did was say, 'kill the cat,' and I saw it. Cause I'm a 'sound' person.

• Love 1

BIB - Which is why I said "once you say it out loud." I read right through your list, and didn't 'see' it. When @JayKay pointed it out, the first thing I did was say, 'kill the cat,' and I saw it. Cause I'm a 'sound' person.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't see why that makes it 'seemingly' a red herring? Anyways, potato, potahto.

• Love 1

Well a hero never goes down without a fight, so....

2 to DL BizBuzz, (stacey, CuriousParker), 6 to say "buzz off". (Mine's no better, Stacey)