Type keyword(s) to search

Game of Thrones Mafia

• Start Topic

The Wall is wide enough for a dozen armored knights to ride abreast.

I knew there was something weird about that word, abreast.  That is a strange word to use, I don't hear it very often.  When I think of it in this setting, I think of a breast, as in chicken.  And there is only one player I know that has a fowl as their avatar.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my PM yesterday but just read it  - was watching March Madness, which somehow I feel is appropriate for GoT here :D I haven't read or watched any, so I won't know what's just a story detail and what could be a clue. Pretty much the only thing I know is that there are hot women (mmmm Natalie Dormer). Thanks for all the info, Dougal!

I get the feeling that the clue is in that first paragraph at The Wall. But don't know what it might be.

• Love 1

So, as I've likely said a million times I don't watch the show, so I'm kinda "clueless" (sorry, it had to be done) but in the spirit of guessing and mentioning things that stuck out. I had to notice that the very first line of the story "In the dark room" could point to a darkroom which is where one develops a Photo (Fox). 

• Love 3

I have some questions
Is a serial killer a villain who wants everyone dead? How does he win when there are only 2 people left?

Avatars can be clues as well? Can any known thing about a player be used for a clue? That’s kinda troubling, I know very little about most people here.

The only other time I played I was a hero as well and got murdered in my sleep night one. So there are some things I do not know about how the game is played.

I got my PM yesterday but just read it  - was watching March Madness,

I just read my bracket and it looks like March Madness was canceled this year. On to baseball!

Adding to possible clues: Treasured.

Does that point to somebody? I don’t see anyone’s name pointing to treasure except very tenuously. Treasure = Money = Piggy Bank = Oinky Boingy

Because really, all I think of is Boston when I read this:

Are you thinking of Mark because he is within 100 miles of Boston? That is pretty unconvincing

If avatars can be brought into play couldn't the phrase "practically a magician" point to TJtrack since Tim the Enchanter is his avatar?

• Love 1

What I got was purred that someone else mentioned. Perhaps... perhaps and laughter in the throat is of course a cat purring. Someone said that would be CuriosParker but I am leaning towards Jessied112.

I think that is pretty solid.

As for treasure (single reference) leading all the way to piggy bank - that hog won't wash.

I knew there was something weird about that word, abreast.  That is a strange word to use, I don't hear it very often.  When I think of it in this setting, I think of a breast, as in chicken.  And there is only one player I know that has a fowl as their avatar.

Oh, I could be convinced by that.

I have some questions

Is a serial killer a villain who wants everyone dead? How does he win when there are only 2 people left?

Avatars can be clues as well? Can any known thing about a player be used for a clue? That’s kinda troubling, I know very little about most people here.

Are you thinking of Mark because he is within 100 miles of Boston? That is pretty unconvincing

Yeah, the serial killer is pretty much a rogue villain, so pretty much everyone wants him/her eliminated.

For the most part, mods have been pretty good about using player names or avatars to build clues around. There's too much that we don't know about each other to use personal things for clues.

No, I wasn't thinking specifically of Mark, just the ridiculous amount of snow that has fallen on Boston.

In my past couple of games the serial killer was a lone wolf type when they existed, meaning I don't think they could communicate with the "real" villains so they'd just pick someone to kill every night I think. (I should really pay more attention... we had a SK in the game I was a helper mod on!).

As for clues, I believe in the past we've used Avatars as well as info we've gotten from Mafia chatting, like I know we've had clues based on the player's hometown or whatever, but it's always been stuff that is at least mentioned in this thread somewhere, not just personal knowledge no one but the mod knows. In my memory it has mostly been plays on the actual name of the person though. 

Edited by Lisin
for clarity

I have some questions

If there are only two people left, a serial killer and a Hero, then the David Lynch will fail during the day since it'll be a tie vote, and then the Serial Killer will win that night by killing the hero.  Any scenario that ends with both players dead during the final Night will be a stalemate.

The gaunt outlines of huge catapults and monstrous wooden cranes stood sentry up there, like the skeletons of great birds, and among them walked two men of the Night’s Watch as small as ants, who could be overheard arguing.

This line really stands out to me, I can see it pointing towards a few possible Villains in this crowd. I am kind of liking 'In the dark room' as a possible clue for @photo fox, though, too. As far as 'treasure,' that DOES sound exactly like Lord Baelish, so it could be a clue or not; I'm leaning towards not at this point...

As to my defense of no day 1 lynching, it has a lot to do with the numbers you mentioned. There is a 66% chance we hang a hero, which means we are 2 down after night 1 if the villains score a kill. Also, heroes have bodyguards, who can block a kill. Some heroes are 2 death people, meanjng you have to hir them in 2 nights. Also sometimes there are healers, whjch basically work the same way as a bodyguard.

Oh and I would call Melisandre a villain...but that is opinion only.

• Love 1

MachiaBelly (sorry I can't quote) it is a philosophy I don't agree with. Maybe I am a glass 40% full type person but If the villain numbers are as high as that there is zero % chance of getting one with no lynch and 40% with a DL. I always thought this is why the town is blessed with higher numbers - to even the field.

I come from games with very few clues with the only way to progress being through action and cage rattling. MMV.

• Love 1

This is only my 5th game ever, so I am nowhere near a vet.  However, after reading most of the Mafia thread over at that other place, and then reading how other sites play mafia, it's being played in a unique way here.  What I understand about how they play the game here at PTV is that I have learned to expect the unexpected, just like I assume the books of GoT are, and is what I have seen in 1.5 seasons so far of the series.

I will put in for the record, I am not in favor of a lynch on the first day.  That is my vote.

• Love 1

I have received my PM and I am ready to go. No clues jumped out at me, but I am not much of a day 1 lyncher anyway.

ETA...they mentioned the Khaleesi, Drogo must be a villain. LOL someone had to say it once.

Sweet Khaleesi could never harm anyone or anything.

On board with the dark room (Photo Fox) theory. 

The gaunt outlines of huge catapults and monstrous wooden cranes stood sentry up there, like the skeletons of great birds,

Fossils?  Dinosaurs?

The Wall is wide enough for a dozen armored knights to ride abreast.

"Abreast" (sounds like GoT language) doesn't stick out to me so much as "a dozen" since the wall seems much wider than that... Dozen... 12?  jessied112?  

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 1

Sweet Khaleesi could never harm anyone or anything.

On board with the dark room (Photo Fox) theory.

Fossils? Dinosaurs?

"Abreast" (sounds like GoT language) doesn't stick out to me so much as "a dozen" since the wall seems much wider than that... Dozen... 12? jessied112?

You are the third to say Jessie12. Myself and.another because of the purred,perhaps...perhaps and laughing in the throat being purring.

I could see a vote going that way.

• Love 2

Oh, I see people see things that could point to me! Well, I can say with a straight face that I am a hero. I may know little to nothing about Game of Thrones, and I will say the clue is very poignant, but it could be an easy misdirect, some of those fake clues being thrown out there. 

I'm looking back on the story and there's that whole description of: 

It’s said to get so cold there that a man’s laughter could freeze in his throat and choke him to death. 

I'm not sure what is making me pause on this wording, but it definitely is ringing some bells in my head...although it could just be a really well crafted sentence. I'm not comfortable yet on a lynch either, though. I do like not doing lynches on the first day, only because it gives us time to gather more clues and build up a case.

• Love 2

How does everyone feel about a No Lynch vote today?  It's Saturday, there usually isn't a lot of activity during the weekend in this thread, I would love to let the mods get started on a night story?

• Love 1

I was feeling a little blue last night and ended up going to bed early.  But this morning, I bent on farther and looked over everything.

Here's a recap so far:

Me :  Totally a hero!

jessied112:  Purred > cat

MachiaBelly:  It’s said to get so cold there that a man’s laughter could freeze in his throat and choke him to death.

Hanged Man:  A man choked to death

Photo Fox:  In the dark room

Oinky Boinky:  Treasure = Money = Piggy Bank

TJTrack:  practically a magician Tim the Enchanter is his avatar

I like either Jessied or Hanged Man.  I'm leaning more towards Jessied at this point.  

To lynch 1st day or not to lynch 1st day, that is the question.  

I say we live a little and start one on 

1 to DL Jessied112 (CuriousParker) 10 to get this show on the road.

(I hope I got the numbers right)

CP, thanks for the round up ... as much as I like some of the clues, I am not certainly not ready to lynch jessied112.  After lunch time I probably wont be able to access PTV, so I am going to model the direction a mafia vet took in a previous game and start a NO LYNCH.

1 No Lynch (BizBuzz) 11 to get ready because Winter is Coming.

1 to DL Jessied112 (CuriousParker) 11 to get this show on the road.

I think the number is half the players plus one, right?

ETA:  I forgot it's the wishes of the mods that if there are two lynches going on, both get recorded with a vote.  My apologies.

The number needed to DL is a simple majority; we have 20 players right now so it takes 11 votes.  I'm leaning towards the HM clue myself, or a No-Lynch, but I need to go back over the story and the thread, and have some coffee, before I'll be ready to vote.

• Love 1

I edited my post above ... totally forgot the mods want both votes listed when casting a vote to keep things more organized, so I added the other vote that was going when I made my vote to No Lynch.

I get the logic behind voting someone out the first day, but I really don't feel comfortable DLing somebody when I don't have nearly enough to go on.

2 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce), 9 to wait to line up a proper target

2 to DL jessied112 (CuriousParker, OinkyBoinky), 9 to fire off prematurely

• Love 1

We may have 0% chance of getting a bad guy if we don't David Lynch, but we avoid a 2/3-ish chance of actively helping them out, and then we get two more clues plus whatever people's night powers tell us....

3 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal), 8 to be calm and reasonable adults

2 to DL jessied112 (CuriousParker, OinkyBoinky), 9 to shoot for no real reason

• Love 3

I'd join in on this right now, but y'all are giving me a migraine. Between that and the need to get m. caprice ready for yet another frigging business trip, I'll try to be back in a few hours.

• Love 1

I'm usually okay with a no lynch on day one, but that just seems so predictable. Maybe I'm just feeling the first day of spring, but I wanna get crazy.

I think the man choked to death is a solid clue. So...

1 to DL Hanged Man (photo fox), 10 to do something bold

3 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal), 8 to be calm and boring adults :-p

• Love 1

1 to DL Hanged Man (photo fox), 10 to do something bold

1 to DL photo fox (Hanged Man) 10 to bring light to the dark room

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1

Mod note:

If no lynch is reached by 9:30 pm Eastern tonight, BUT there is active conversation the day will extend to reach a lynch.

If the only thing dead is the conversation then the day will end promptly and night will occur.

Good luck!

• Love 2

Hey Oinky?  Maybe this is why we don't DL on the 1st day.  ^^^^

hee.

I think it's the setting. What little I know of GoT includes 3 things: lust, blood, and bloodlust. That might be affecting us.

I haven't had any new ideas, but the choking and gallows imagery makes as much sense as anything now.

2 to DL Hanged Man (photo fox, SVNBob), 9 to be proactive and intense

• Love 1

Hey Oinky? Maybe this is why we don't DL on the 1st day. ^^^^

hee.

trying is better than not trying. I like this. More information to be gained in the long run from this than people sitting on their hands. It is a brave person that starts the DL snowball. Was that BizBuzzz? Kudos.
  • Love 1

4 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal,jessied112), 7 to be calm and boring adults :-p

I'd rather get killed by the Villains tonight and have suspicions drawn from that than to lose two or three heroes before day 2. I figure I'm either dead tonight, or the Villains will spare me to draw more suspicion onto me. Either way, better to lose one Hero by day 2, than lose two.

• Love 1

I don't feel comfortable lynching a potential hero.

4 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, TMunz), 7 to be calm and boring adults :-p

4 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal,jessied112), 7 to be calm and boring adults :-p

I'd rather get killed by the Villains tonight and have suspicions drawn from that than to lose two or three heroes before day 2. I figure I'm either dead tonight, or the Villains will spare me to draw more suspicion onto me. Either way, better to lose one Hero by day 2, than lose two.

I don't feel comfortable lynching a potential hero.

4 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, TMunz), 7 to be calm and boring adults :-p

Slight confusion re numbers^

It should now read:

5 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, jessied112, TMunz), 6 to be calm and boring adults :-p

• Love 3

3 to DL Hanged Man (photo fox, SVNBob, Drogo), 8 to be proactive and intense
5 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, jessied112, TMunz), 6 to be calm and boring adults :-p

Because it's gotten pretty cold here and no laughter has frozen in my throat and choked me to death.  

Edited by SilverStormm
Corrected total from 9 to 8 in the Hanged Man DL
  • Love 2

Given that this is egavasc's first game and I'm not yet sure of her clue style, I'm also not sure we even know who all the characters are in the game yet, and that I am loathe to DL an old friend who hardly ever plays this game on Day 1 (pure sentimentality, that)...

3 to DL Hanged Man (photo fox, SVNBob, Drogo), 8 to be proactive and intense
6 to No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, jessied112, TMunz, MarkHB), 5 to head for the hammock and contemplate our navels

Edited by SilverStormm
Same as above :)
  • Love 1

The thing I'm finding interesting about my migraines is that they make me feel horribly sick to my stomach, to the point that I don't want to eat. And yet, that small logic center that hasn't quite been overwhelmed by that nasty bitch of a migraine knows that having some food in my system will help me get over it. Dilemmas, dilemmas....

So, what do I want to do? Pretty much try to be amused by Mark's sentimentality. My family has long teased me about my memory for trivia. My friend, the only other game that HM played, I was co-mod for writingdreamer's Haunted House Heroes round, and he was taken out by the villains in the first night! As I recall, you were on that team....

Have I found anything here? Of course not. Like Mark, I'd like to get a better feel for how our mod writes and develops clues.

3 Hanged Man (photo fox, SVNBob, Drogo), 8 to be proactive and intense
7 No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, jessied112, TMunz, MarkHB, caprice), 4 to find more effective pain meds
2 jessied112 (CuriousParker, OinkyBoinky), 9 to shoot for no real reason
1 photo fox (Hanged Man) 10 to bring light to the dark room

Yes, I'm old school. Deal.

• Love 1

4 to DL Hanged Man (photo fox, SVNBob, Drogo,Oinky Boinky), 9 seeking truth

1 to DL jessied112 (CuriousParker), 9 to shoot for no real reason

Because it's gotten pretty cold here and no laughter has frozen in my throat and choked me to death.

I just changed my vote to avoid deadlock. If I messed up numbers by doing it within quote window,can someone please fix it. I like the gallows clue. Laughter in the throat I still think is purring.
  • Love 2

As far as I can tell, we have 13 voters, 7 non voters so far, all we need is 4 more votes to call it a day ... who hasn't voted ... hmmmm, very interesting.

ETA:

If Oinky Boinky is changing their vote, it should look like this:

4 Hanged Man (photo fox, SVNBob, Drogo, Oinky Boinky), 7 to be proactive and intense
7 No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, jessied112, TMunz, MarkHB, caprice), 4 to find more effective pain meds
1 jessied112 (CuriousParker), 10 to shoot for no real reason

• Love 2

Sorry! I just woke up from my benadryl induced coma. I really need to be better about avoiding allergens... while I do think there have been some compelling arguments re. clues I'm inclined to wait until we have a bit more info to fully commit so, 

4 Hanged Man (photo fox, SVNBob, Drogo, Oinky Boinky), 7 to be proactive and intense
8 No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, jessied112, TMunz, MarkHB, caprice, Lisin), 3 to read labels better. 

• Love 1

I hope I don't regret not committing on Day One, but I too am loathe to DL someone without getting more of a feel for the mod's style. I will be watching all the mentioned players closely, though.

9 No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, jessied112, TMunz, MarkHB, caprice, Lisin, stacey), 2 to start my laundry

• Love 1

I hope I don't regret not committing on Day One, but I too am loathe to DL someone without getting more of a feel for the mod's style. I will be watching all the mentioned players closely, though.

10 No DL (BizBuzz, Spruce, Dougal, jessied112, TMunz, MarkHB, caprice, Lisin, stacey, Machiabelly), 1 to start my laundry

• Love 1