Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: Overwhelmed

Bort
Message added by Bort

NO SPOILERS HERE.  Click HERE to read the rules before posting.

Clairvoyant comments about who makes show group, point and the final team do not belong here.

• Start Topic

36 hours after making Training Camp the candidates are thrust into a new level of pressure. Some break down.

Airdate: Friday, August 23, 2019

tumblr_ow3exmI9mT1qz8rwfo3_r4_500.gif

Any events that play out in the episode are no longer spoilers and fair game to discuss.

If you know something and it hasn't happened yet, IT IS A SPOILER. Do not discuss it in this topic.

• Love 2

My impressions:

1) Jennifer Colvin!! YAY!! She was great and very motivational for the rookies. More of this!

2) The rest....boring. I am literally fighting to stay awake. I don't care about them taking CORE or personality tests. Most employers are going to that model. YAWN. I don't care about the girls moving in to their apartments. We didn't see who got Barbies. Oh but instead, we got to see Judy and Kelli look at a board of pictures and figure out who should be on the team..BEFORE they even dance. 

3) Kat...GET OFF MY TV!!! She is a terrible speaker, she is a worse dancer. She bores me. 

4) Meredith (I think, I don't care enough to know) black hair and stunning eyes, she seems to be on some heavy duty meds. Lethargic in everything. 

I never felt so apathetic about any season that I do about this one. 

• Love 10

When you dvr, you can ff through the sob stories (uncle you were closest to) and a candidate learning how to assemble her first lamp.

I don’t think Meredith’s voice has any tone other than zombie drone. 

Gina Marie is this year’s sacrificial teen lamb. 

Christina and her new boobs are below the 36 line. Not shocked. Should have spent the $ on lessons.

• LOL 11
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

When you dvr, you can ff through the sob stories (uncle you were closest to) and a candidate learning how to assemble her first lamp.

I don’t think Meredith’s voice has any tone other than zombie drone. 

Gina Marie is this year’s sacrificial teen lamb. 

Christina and her new boobs are below the 36 line. Not shocked. Should have spent the $ on lessons.

Oh the sob stories! I'm waiting for "my goldfish died when I was 9, I had him for 2 days" boohooo. They are ludicrous now. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 6
Just now, nrskim said:

Oh the sob stories! I'm waiting for "my goldfish died when I was 9, I had him for 2 days" boohooo. They are ludicrous now. 

Right? Like we know the majority of you are very privileged (I mean look at Chandi and Gina Marie's apartments). It just makes them seem even more out of touch with reality. 

• Love 8

I too am sick of the sob story. Most of them aren’t even that sob-worthy and therefore seem disingenuous. Why does the show continue to have these?  I love learning about the TCCs but every single one doesn’t need a sob story. 

• Love 12

VK looked great. IDC, roast me. I've always been more of a fan than others but she's really knocking it out of the park in every department except hair. It's pretty clear she feels like she was garbage before because she keeps saying how she's "totally different" now-- she wasn't THAT bad before but I'm glad it scared her straight. This is the right rookie class to show up in too, because they are kind of a mess. 

Gina Marie is SO in over her head. 

I think Meredith is one who would look substantially better if she was *allowed* to gain a few pounds but she is very enchanting. 

Lisa was fine. 

Christina is different lately. Rigid, kind of cold seeming? What's that about?

I enjoy Amanda. 

Kat's speaking style is kind of annoying at times but I still am rooting for her because she's uncalculated (how could anyone who is putting on a show be that much of a mess when they communicate?)

Lily and Kristen are smart to stay quiet and drama free because they are doing great *Insert meme of Kris Jenner you're doing amazing sweetie*

I LOVE JEN'S CHOREO. 

I liked that this wasn't "cookie cutter"-- not exactly the same format as every other "first week of training camp." I was in the minority I guess but I enjoyed watching them deliberate based on scores at auditions. They spend all that time watching and scoring, it's nice to actually see where they all stand walking into camp!

I was interested to hear them deliberate about point. Caroline, Bridget, Alanna mentioned. Who else, someone remind me? 

Welp, thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. 

• Love 18

It's killing me I keep being out of town for DCC.  I rushed back to hotel to catch last 10 minutes on my phone.  I think CMT downloads tomorrow on their website?  Watched the clips on CMT.  I'm sad to see Meredith is struggling.  She is do beautiful we could use some glam on the squad.  She does have dance tech so I hope she can be a "take home" girl.  

Edited by Mardo2044
Clarity
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, hereforthedrama said:

Right? Like we know the majority of you are very privileged (I mean look at Chandi and Gina Marie's apartments). It just makes them seem even more out of touch with reality. 

I completely agree. I was wondering how anyone could afford to move to a new city. Without a job lined up. Sign a lease. Pay for living expenses and essentially work for free for at least the full training camp. Because to be honest the majority of them need to practice during the day to be able to make it it seems.

• Love 6

I never knew what ‘marking’ was til a few seasons ago when Kelsey (was it her?) got called out on it.

But anyway, Kat was 100% marking one of the dances tonight.  

And Jennifer.  I love her. She’s so positive and encouraging. 

Caroline for point. 

• Love 4

I wished they would have invited Kity to the "electronic ranking board" of the top 36. She would have hit delete and then we can move on..

Repeating what I said last week - yep - they know who is the lowest ranking veteran.  Sorry, your last night was last season.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I am so annoyed I live on the west coast now and won’t get to see the show for another 90 minutes!

8 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

I live in the same personal hell.

You didn't miss much (I live in Eastern time)

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Ssaallluuu said:

I completely agree. I was wondering how anyone could afford to move to a new city. Without a job lined up. Sign a lease. Pay for living expenses and essentially work for free for at least the full training camp. Because to be honest the majority of them need to practice during the day to be able to make it it seems.

My hats off to the parents, grandparents, older working siblings, and anyone else who cosigns a month-to-month lease for the newbies.

when the one TCC told her father she could get cut up until august while they were moving in to her very nice apt , he probably was thinking "I'll just retire from work 3-4 mths/yrs later after the rent on this dream-chase sets me back $$". Love ya pops!

And I suspect the cowboy organization has a hand in the available apartment (or house-sitting) lists. They probably have corporate apartments for a variety of reasons and relax the rules on qualifying to move in. some of the TH have been filmed in quite nice house settings.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5

Jaylen has a key to her studio ? She owns a dance studio ? Nice gesture to lend out the key - but not around to help teach/correct/groom the rookies who are practicing. 

Guest choreographer on the 2nd night?

• Love 1

I've been watching the older seasons on PlutoTV and it's been interesting to watch the girls in the older seasons use regular 'ole purses and gym bags. But as the seasons progressed, expensive purses and bigger bags are more prevalent. 

I think some of the TH segments are filmed meeting rooms or hotel rooms at the Gaylord Texan; I noticed several of the same rooms in a few older seasons. 

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I am so annoyed I live on the west coast now and won’t get to see the show for another 90 minutes!

When you said something before about moving, my first thought was you're in "our" time zone now:)  But also, you were our Camp DCC source:(

4 minutes ago, sATL said:

And I suspect the cowboy organization has a hand in the available apartment (or house-sitting) lists. They probably have corporate apartments for a variety of reasons and relax the rules on qualifying to move in. some of the TH have been filmed in quite nice house settings

There was an apartment building they used to feature a lot in the earlier seasons, and I wondered if DCC got a discount to move into it.  Then again, showing it probably wasn't a great idea - safety wise. 

53 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

I never knew what ‘marking’ was til a few seasons ago when Kelsey (was it her?) got called out on it.

I can now recognize that.  Trying to get better at recognizing when a gal isn't finishing her moves.  But I only really notice some stuff when they do the split screens.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, sATL said:

And I suspect the cowboy organization has a hand in the available apartment (or house-sitting) lists.

Shelly has previously said that the girls are completely on their own for housing, even for TC. 

I would think CMT has a go to AirB&B(s) for filming some of the talking heads. This is commonly done for reality tv. The apartment Alexandra was in definitely seemed like one we've seen in other talking heads. 

5 minutes ago, sATL said:

Jaylen has a key to her studio ?

Looks like she teaches at it (so does Madeline M)/is the office manager. I think when they said "her" they meant the one she works at. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

I saw a great video from an Ohio State game last year that had the pom squad next to the dance team and it was so neat to see the differences side-by-side. Finally clicked in my head how different the types of dancing are (it was my 50-yard Kelsey moment). 

• Love 2

Jenn C! One of my favorites of all time! I miss her. 

I love how human and positive she is!

The dancing was here for some.

Poor Gina Marie, she is a mess awww.

Shaina looks so different to me than her pic not in a bad way. 

Lisa is a Nicole H in the making.

All the girls seem sweet. I like them all.

It will be interesting to see how this goes down.

Edited by Dal8las
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, sATL said:

My hats off to the parents, grandparents, older working siblings, and anyone else who cosigns a month-to-month lease. 

And I suspect the cowboy organization has a hand in the available apartment lists. They probably have corporate apartments for a variety of reasons and relax the rules on qualifying to move in.

I'm sure that's true. Although someone really motivated can plan ahead. My daughter worked awhile between college & grad school to be able to afford the two years. It was a rice & beans budget, but she did it. 

1 hour ago, PrincessLeia said:

I'm on the West Coast too and watched it at 6:00 on CMT. Are you watching on some other platform?

25 minutes ago, sATL said:

My hats off to the parents, grandparents, older working siblings, and anyone else who cosigns a month-to-month lease for the newbies.

when the on TCC told her father she could get cut up until august while they were moving in to her very nice apt , he probably was thinking "I'll just retire from work 3-4 later after the rent on this dream-chase sets me back $$". Love ya pops!

And I suspect the cowboy organization has a hand in the available apartment (or house-sitting) lists. They probably have corporate apartments for a variety of reasons and relax the rules on qualifying to move in. some of the TH have been filmed in quite nice house settings.

I dont know about apt listings or corporate housing. I mean if they were that concerned they would actually pay them. They give up so much time and effort and it is WORK. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Leia1021 said:

I'm on the West Coast too and watched it at 6:00 on CMT. Are you watching on some other platform?

I used to be able to do that when I had cable.  I had CMT in my time zone, and then HDCMT was in the Eastern Time Zone.

• Love 1

Episode thoughts:

Victoria looked great and I'm going to stop apologizing for saying that!  She really looks so much better than last year, dance wise and figure. When she was in her small group, she was the only one I could watch.

Poor Gina Marie is in way over her head 😞

Lisa's personality rubs me the wrong way sometimes, but sister can dance. I'll see if I warm up to her.

No surprise Christina is the lowest ranking vet.  Cut her and move on!

Amy seems like the sweetest leader.  She always seems to be encouraging and supportive to the girls.

All in all, I would have liked to see a LOT more dancing and critiques this episode! Don't really need more than about 30 seconds on personality tests or new apartments.  I am glad we got to see some new rookies as opposed to just focusing on the comeback girls (or Kat)

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Ssaallluuu said:

I dont know about apt listings or corporate housing. I mean if they were that concerned they would actually pay them. They give up so much time and effort and it is WORK. 

They are paid for practice during TC. Whether or not it’s livable is the question. My guess is no, which is why many pick up flexible day jobs to supplement. 

44 minutes ago, Spooky said:

I've been watching the older seasons on PlutoTV and it's been interesting to watch the girls in the older seasons use regular 'ole purses and gym bags. But as the seasons progressed, expensive purses and bigger bags are more prevalent. 

Yess! I always get a kick out of first meeting when they show up in their Belk dresses and big girl purses ☺️ Everything looks brand new like they just took the stuffing out! 

Also Christina should go out on a high note and retire after this year. I feel badly for her but girlfriend you don’t want to be the last one to leave the party by overstaying your welcome. 

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, hereforthedrama said:

Shelly has previously said that the girls are completely on their own for housing, even for TC. 

I would think CMT has a go to AirB&B(s) for filming some of the talking heads. This is commonly done for reality tv. The apartment Alexandra was in definitely seemed like one we've seen in other talking heads. 

Looks like she teaches at it (so does Madeline M)/is the office manager. I think when they said "her" they meant the one she works at. 

well, someone's got some kind of list... could even be facebook, SM, a former-DCC who is now a realtor standing outside after finals.. etc

I mean for anyone to go from new to town to finding and moving in an apt in 36 hours - it just makes some sense there is help somewhere from someone. Not knocking the help , as we all need it .

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, sATL said:

This would explain why all of these apartments look the same to me. LOL.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, sATL said:

well, someone's got some kind of list... could even be facebook, SM, a former-DCC who is now a realtor standing outside after finals.. etc

Kelsey Bond mentioned on her real estate IG that she was available to help the girls.

• Love 3

Need to give a shout out to Judy ! She's re-found her voice ! I think she spoke more at tonight's rehearsal than she did all of last season.

I find it odd that it seems like no vet is really trying to be point. I mean Karshara announced her retiring a year in advance. Usually when someone announces they are vacating a higher position, there is always a few who throw their hat into the ring. When Kelli asked the vets to dance and was saying (as a voice-over) , that they have to find a new point, I didn't see anyone who was trying to make a good impression. Why not have a dance-off who wants to be point?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

Poor Gina Marie.

Aw, she's so adorable too. 😞 But you just know she's not going to make it. She reminds me of that pretty eighteen-year-old Kelly loved a few seasons ago with bad kicks.

3 hours ago, nrskim said:

Oh but instead, we got to see Judy and Kelli look at a board of pictures and figure out who should be on the team..BEFORE they even dance. 

I liked the board part. I want someone more tech savvy than me to post screenshots so I can see exactly who is where. Lol.

• Love 4

So VK got a perfect score and scored higher at finals than the following:

Cianna

Erin

Brennan

Brianna

Daphne

Maddie

Honestly I don’t really disagree that VK is better than all of them - many have had softness issues (Cianna, Maddie) and just don’t have the DCC look when VK does.

Then TCC Ashley scored higher than Hannah (her solo did look really bad IMO).

Edit - oh my - Jalyn, Alexis and Miranda also had several rookies above them.   Miiranda not a surprise to me, but the other two are - I thought Jalyn was some rockstar?   Maybe she got a tad bit overrated last year.

Then Christina below the 36 line. Ouch for her - gotta be embarrassing.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

So VK got a perfect score and scored higher at finals than the following:

Cianna

Erin

Brennan

Brianna

Daphne

Maddie

Honestly I don’t really disagree that VK is better than all of them - many have had softness issues (Cianna, Maddie) and just don’t have the DCC look when VK does.

Then TCC Ashley scored higher than Hannah (her solo did look really bad IMO).

Edit - oh my - Jalyn, Alexis and Miranda also had several rookies above them.   Miiranda not a surprise to me, but the other two are - I thought Jalyn was some rockstar?   Maybe she got a tad bit overrated last year.

Then Christina below the 36 line. Ouch for her - gotta be embarrassing.

I don’t understand how any rookie could score higher than Hannah or Jalyn. 

Meredith. So gorgeous. I don’t like her voice, but she’s definitely got the look. 

• Love 4

Thoughts after this episode (was so busy tonight I had to watch it on demand quite late!)

VK - she really does look good this year which is something I didn't think I would be saying. Keeping her weight down really makes a difference.

Kelcey - she moves so fluidly and catches on quickly to new choreography.

Gina Marie is so cute, but being able to perform new choreography with power and confidence is so important and she seems to be lacking in that area.

Lisa - I have no real reason for this, but there is just something about her I don't care for in terms of personality. However, she is not lacking in power!

Jen Colvin (I apologize for not knowing the correct spelling) is a wonderful teacher. Very caring and gets the psychology of her dancers. Brings a nice positive attitude to dancing and dancers.

• Love 2

When Kelli referred to the DCC as "the Ivy League of cheerleading" I thought it might be medically possible to die laughing. Ivy League of cheerleading?

Agreed that the sob stories suck. Most of us have had someone die.

Meredith just seems like she's on qualudes. 

I like Christina. There's always a lowest scoring veteran.  One thing I noticed about her is on her Instagram she has a ton of support and love from the other girls. Kelli frequently seems to really take note of which girls are well liked by their teammates as she did when she changed her mind about cutting Danielle and in her comment about Lily. I think Christina is like Sunni Cranfill, she's just on the cusp of being too old but she works her ass of and the perseverance and sharpening of age makes her a valuable asset.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Route66 said:

When Kelli referred to the DCC as "the Ivy League of cheerleading" I thought it might be medically possible to die laughing. Ivy League of cheerleading?

Agreed that the sob stories suck. Most of us have had someone die.

Meredith just seems like she's on qualudes. 

I like Christina. There's always a lowest scoring veteran.  One thing I noticed about her is on her Instagram she has a ton of support and love from the other girls. Kelli frequently seems to really take note of which girls are well liked by their teammates as she did when she changed her mind about cutting Danielle and in her comment about Lily. I think Christina is like Sunni Cranfill, she's just on the cusp of being too old but she works her ass of and the perseverance and sharpening of age makes her a valuable asset.

That's how I think of Christina, she's a bit like Brennan but not as good technically. You need some 'older' girls on the squad who have perservered. I remember watching Christina assisting a prep class this year (think it was maybe one of Mia's) and she looked clean and precise but not spectacular. She's definitely a blander but the team needs those apparently!

I think Sunni was a stronger dancer than Christina though, wasn't she on show group at one point? Most women usually retire when they get to 30/31 (I'm thinking Jackie Bob, Sunni, Angela, Jinelle) so Chrisina/Brennan might be done after this season, definitely Christina.

• Love 1

I like Christina quite a bit. I was HOPING K&J would have pulled her into the office for a pep talk. That was a little disappointing to me it did not happen. 

Gina Marie is a very sweet girl, but she is lacking in self confidence. She's already in over her head. 

Also kind of butthurt about not seeing the Barbies awarded, but I'll live. 

Did anybody see how gorgeous Lexie looked? She just gets prettier every year.

I was afraid Kelli was going to turn her ankle in those wedge heels she wore. Then again, I think Texas women come out of the womb knowing how to wear those things.

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 1