Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I couldn't come up with David Lee Roth

I couldn't either, but boy, was his photo pretty. I was gobsmacked by his beauty so my brain stopped and therefore I couldn't answer either. That's my story.

That Portugal/Portuguese thing was so whack given other more blatant answers that were let go in the past, all having been discussed here.

I got a big laugh out of the interviews. The middle lady said she adopted a cat and is now a Crazy Cat Lady. Trebek then moves to the next contestant and introduces Sid Cats. Okay, I know it probably was Katz, but listening, I cracked up.

Bowling was a TS! No one remembers Rip Van Winkle meeting those dwarfs playing ninepins I guess.

Kudos to Kris for his bold bet-it-all DD of $4,200. And hooray for Kris for actually winning in the end. I loved his OTT reaction and was very happy for him. Good things can happen ...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I wish I could say that tonight's FJ was an instaget, but I had to really think about the significance of Spain and Italy before I could come up with 1492, then I had to do math!  Fortunately, it doesn't take long to write 1992, so I got it before time ran out.  

I also got Gutenberg Bible and When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, and I'm not sad that we have a new champ.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I got FJ.  I was second guessing myself because I didn't think it could be that easy.

I got the TS of Arizona, Gutenberg Bible, When Irish Eyes are Smiling, and Zachary Taylor.

I got the entire category of Stagey Dialogue correct, and the entire cateogyr of Fantasy places wrong, but I'd like to think I could have gotten the $200 clue.  

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Our lessons here on Newfoundland and Labrador continue to be of value!

Shout out to @Clanstarling with the TS of "Eat" Germany.

FJ = Fairs and Expositions. I'm all about county and state fairs, being an exhibitor of fine art, photography and livestock. So of course the clue wasn't about Tallest Corn Stalk, but the countries listed made me recall and sing this song:

"In fourteen hundred ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue ... He had three ships and left from Spain; He sailed through sunshine, wind and rain. He sailed by night; he sailed by day; He used the stars to find his way. A compass also helped him know ... how to find the way to go."

Got it, Baby!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, DXD526 said:

No BMS for an answer of "Caesar"? 

Granted, there were many Caesars, but when most people hear the name, they automatically associate it with Julius, as opposed to, say, "President Bush."

I was disappointed that the Adjunct Prof was a one and done, but the new champ is fine by me. I got Essen, Arizona, Gutenberg, Bag End, and When Irish Eyes are Smiling. I was especially surprised no one came up with the last one after Kris nearly got it right.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Me when the FJ clue was revealed: "Who in the hell is supposed to know that?"

Me when the FJ answer was revealed: "Well, duh! Seems rather obvious now."

My FJ streak for the week (I'm a poet and don't know it) ends at two.

I did get When Irish Eyes Are Smiling.

Yay!

#sarcasm    

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Me when the FJ clue was revealed: "Who in the hell is supposed to know that?"

It was only the 'Genoa' that helped me, so then I had to put down 1492 + 500 = 1992 because when I try to do math in my head the numbers start dancing around and won't stay where they are supposed to, I just cannot keep numbers in my head. It took me 3 years to memorize my new phone # and in a pinch I still forget it.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I can't believe no one took a guess with Gutenberg bible; maybe they were afraid to be embarrassed.  The Arizona TS surprised me a bit, but that's about it.

I was surprised the Ellen Barkin clue referred to her role on Animal Kingdom in present tense; I'd have thought this was taped after her final episode aired (I didn't watch the show, but I remember reading about her being pissed, so I looked it up and it aired in August; this season had started taping in July).

If I knew the German word for "eat", I'd have run the first round.  The Places in Fantasy and Battleships categories doomed me in DJ; I only knew one in each.  So, not a great game for me, but at least FJ came to me fairly quickly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My local station always starts Jeopardy! a few minutes early, so if I'm watching a show that ends on the hour I miss the beginning of Jeopardy!  Today when I tuned in (at the scheduled time), they were 4 questions in.

The station ignores my requests for an explanation.  Anyone have one?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Brookside said:

The station ignores my requests for an explanation.  Anyone have one?

Miss the last four minutes of the show you are watching?

Have two televisions, one on each station?

A tv station will never admit it is doing something incorrectly.

Edited by saber5055

Share this post


Link to post

Chicago missed out on most of the first round due to Gov. Pritzker’s press conference, but I did tune in right before the Arizona TS. I got Arizona, Bag End, Dresden, When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, and FJ-1992. My favorite podcaster is a huuuuge Dresden Files fan, so even though I haven’t yet read the first six e-books of the series I bought on sale, I knew it right away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Andrea reminds me of Lady Edith from Downton Abbey.

I got Arizona (a guess, maybe popping out from the recesses from my brain) and When Irish Eyes Are Smiling.

I liked that translated cities categories. I think everything was news to me.

I blew it on FJ. I switched the numbers around and said 1942. And then I second-guessed myself because I didn't think they'd have expositions in the middle of WII, but I stuck with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

31 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Andrea reminds me of Lady Edith from Downton Abbey.

Yes, I thought that too! With a little Meghan Trainor.

Share this post


Link to post

re: the Mandela effect category, “We Are the Champions” does end with “...of the world!” in all of Queen’s live shows. It’s only the original album version that doesn’t. So people are not wrong for thinking the song ends that way, because it usually does!

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I missed "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" because I have a damn clock that "bongs" every 15 minutes and it was 7:45 when J! played the irish song, right when the longest of the series of bongs was pealing. I couldn't tell WTH I was listening to.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I liked that translated cities categories. I think everything was news to me.

I enjoyed that one, too, and for the same reason.  Other than "Eat, Germany" I got all of them, but I'd never really thought about any of those name origins before; if they'd given me the city and asked me to translate from there, I would never have done as well as I did in reverse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Granted, there were many Caesars, but when most people hear the name, they automatically associate it with Julius, as opposed to, say, "President Bush."

True, but when people hear Johnson, they mostly think LBJ, and not Andrew.  Titles aren't quite enough, imo.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Our lessons here on Newfoundland and Labrador continue to be of value!

Shout out to @Clanstarling with the TS of "Eat" Germany.

It's like you were in my living room! Yes, I did indeed get it. I've lost a lot of my German - but never a seriously important word like "eat."  😂

Of course, I went with Labrador. Sigh...

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't believe no one took a guess with Gutenberg bible; maybe they were afraid to be embarrassed.  The Arizona TS surprised me a bit, but that's about it.

I got it, but I have a personal reason to remember it. If I didn't, I probably would have missed it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

My local station always starts Jeopardy! a few minutes early, so if I'm watching a show that ends on the hour I miss the beginning of Jeopardy!  Today when I tuned in (at the scheduled time), they were 4 questions in.

The station ignores my requests for an explanation.  Anyone have one?

I don't know if you remember, but TBS used to have it's schedule starting all shows at 5 after the hour and half hour.  My mom told me it would be so that you would miss the first 5 minutes of something on another channels so you would just stick with TBS.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know if you remember, but TBS used to have it's schedule starting all shows at 5 after the hour and half hour.  My mom told me it would be so that you would miss the first 5 minutes of something on another channels so you would just stick with TBS.

That sounds vaguely familiar. I remember playing time setting games when I used to record things. They (networks, I think) also started synching up when they ran commercials, so you wouldn't be able to change to something else and miss them.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

My local station always starts Jeopardy! a few minutes early, so if I'm watching a show that ends on the hour I miss the beginning of Jeopardy!  Today when I tuned in (at the scheduled time), they were 4 questions in.

The station ignores my requests for an explanation.  Anyone have one?

My Milwaukee station does that too. It is irritating. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Granted, there were many Caesars, but when most people hear the name, they automatically associate it with Julius, as opposed to, say, "President Bush."

True, but when people hear Johnson, they mostly think LBJ, and not Andrew.  Titles aren't quite enough, imo.

I was going to come here to say the same about Caesar but decided to look it up first, I found this on Wikipedia:

Caesar (English pl. Caesars; Latin pl. Caesares) is a title of imperial character. It derives from the cognomen of Julius Caesar, the Roman dictator. The change from being a familial name to a title adopted by the Roman Emperors can be dated to about 68/69 AD, the so-called "Year of the Four Emperors".[dubious – discuss]

So it appears that Caesar was actually Julius' name not a title as it was for those that followed. However I do wonder now about the requirements for BMS? Did someone complain that there answer was right because no one else fit the parameters of the question? Did they just decide to be more accepting? I don't know.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

My Milwaukee station does that too. It is irritating. 

Quick beam, does Milwaukee still broadcast the show at 3:00? I was at Marquette when the show returned in ‘84, and that timing meant I could only watch on Tuesdays and Thursdays (I had band practice the other three days). 

Share this post


Link to post

I hate the history FJs.  I had no clue.  Good on the new champ for betting zero -- I would have done the same in her place.

But even though I was clueless for FJ, I did get a lot of TS/missed DDs, including The Power of Positive Thinking, vanishing point, plein air, reason, telegraph, Great Salt Lake, Oklahoma, dentist, and arsenic.  I guess the others didn't hear the guy not say, "What is" for the Great Salt Lake clue -- surely one of them would have rung in if they had.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't get FJ.  I had no clue.

I got the TS of reason, Oklahoma, Vistula, dentist, salt, Austria/Hungary, and arsenic.

I got the entire categories of Lakes and Olympics and the partial category of author's jobs right.  I got the entire partial category of mock meat wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I guess the others didn't hear the guy not say, "What is" for the Great Salt Lake clue -- surely one of them would have rung in if they had.  

This is what Andy of Jeopardy! Fan had to say - 

Quote

t’s been reported to me by an audience member that on the opening clue of Double Jeopardy!, the judges stopped tape to confirm that Aaron did, in fact, fail to put his response in the form of a question. Due to that lengthy tape stoppage, it was judged to be unfair to allow rebounds; thus, that is why neither Michonne nor Andrea rang in on a rebound.

 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

I would have bet my entire bankroll on any Pony Express clue, including the DD stumper of "telegraph." That, plus any fan of old westerns knows Doc Holliday was a dentist. I also know about arsenic. Don't tell anyone about that though, please.

For FJ, Philippines came immediately to mind, and I don't have a clue why. I just went with it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

No clue for FJ.

I did manage to get The Power of Positive Thinking, reason, telegraph, and Great Salt Lake.

Share this post


Link to post

I skipped the episode in favor of the Top Chef premiere, so I just read the archive as a brain cleanser before coming back to my oddly-vexing question of what to order for dinner (I'm trying to support my favorite local restaurants in this remaining way, knowing most of them are still going to go out of business, so it's hard to decide who to order from when - I think I'm going with Vietnamese tonight).

Reason was a surprising TS.  Arsenic, the Great Salt Lake, The Power of Positive Thinking, and Oklahoma (really, no one even guessed the "Indian Territory" state for that clue?), too, to varying extents.

Not a great game, but the winner was responsible for only one of the dozen-plus wrong answers, so - just by looking at the numbers on the archive - things worked out as they should.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I had a bunch of Garfield books when I was a kid. One of them had a little intro about how the strip was popular all over the world along with some translations. That's how I knew Essen.

qndcEQN.jpg

See the rest here. (Not my account; thank you, stranger.)

Edited by dcalley
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I would have bet my entire bankroll on any Pony Express clue, including the DD stumper of "telegraph." That, plus any fan of old westerns knows Doc Holliday was a dentist. I also know about arsenic. Don't tell anyone about that though, please.

For FJ, Philippines came immediately to mind, and I don't have a clue why. I just went with it.

Philippines came to mind, and I promptly rejected it.

7 hours ago, dcalley said:

I had a bunch of Garfield books when I was a kid. One of them had a little intro about how the strip was popular all over the world along with some translations. That's how I knew Essen.

qndcEQN.jpg

See the rest here. (Not my account; thank you, stranger.)

I've always enjoyed nuggets of information learned, not in school or educational books, but from random references in pop culture. Thanks! And it was great to see that though my German is now limited, I could understand the dialogue. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I got the Philippines, but it was purely a guess. A lot of countries were getting rid of their colonial empires after World War II, so I was trying to think of someplace that used to be an American colony that is now an independent country.  Philippines is what came to mind.

I guess I'm the only one (or almost the only one, maybe) who knew Essen from studying German in high school?  It's always kind of funny when you see Essen on a map, and think, "Really?  There's a city in Germany called 'eat'?"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Philippines came to mind, and I promptly rejected it.

I waffled so badly on it that I don't feel honest about counting it for the contest. I actually was shocked to see it was the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I waffled so badly on it that I don't feel honest about counting it for the contest. I actually was shocked to see it was the answer.

Same here.  I ended up with American Samoa for no particular reason.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

For some reason, I was getting hung up on Caribbean island nations, trying to figure out if we had any that we gave up at some point. I never even made it to the Pacific Ocean. 
 

I didn’t take notes on TS like I usually do, due to an armful of cat. I did get reason, Oklahoma, and telegraph.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

For some reason, I was getting hung up on Caribbean island nations, trying to figure out if we had any that we gave up at some point. I never even made it to the Pacific Ocean. 

That's what I did, Cuba (for some reason), Puerto Rico, then I was just moving towards the Pacific when time ran out.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I waffled so badly on it that I don't feel honest about counting it for the contest. I actually was shocked to see it was the answer.

I said Guam at first but then realized it was still a territory.  I did come up with the Philippines in plenty of time, though.  We acquired it after the Spanish-American war - I didn't know we kept it so long, though.

What is the freaking deal with not clearly the damned board?  And I hate the new champ's stupid hair.  Can't wait til she's gone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

What is the freaking deal with not clearly the damned board?  And I hate the new champ's stupid hair.  Can't wait til she's gone.

Yes! to both!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I got the Philippines, but it was purely a guess. A lot of countries were getting rid of their colonial empires after World War II, so I was trying to think of someplace that used to be an American colony that is now an independent country.  Philippines is what came to mind.

I guess I'm the only one (or almost the only one, maybe) who knew Essen from studying German in high school?  It's always kind of funny when you see Essen on a map, and think, "Really?  There's a city in Germany called 'eat'?"

Yep. Then again there are towns in Oregon named Drain and Boring. 😆

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

... any fan of old westerns knows Doc Holliday was a dentist.

I know it because of the old Star Trek episode.

For TSs I got The Power of Positive Thinking, vanishing point, reason, telegraph, Oklahoma, Vistula, and dentist.

The Philippines came to mind immediately but I didn't think that ever belonged to the US. I said Guam.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I know it because of the old Star Trek episode.

Why do I not know this. I am so disappointed in myself. Someone, beam my brain up. Make it so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I got FJ, but only because Isabel Allende is literally the only Chilean author I know.  I've only read 2 of her books.

I got the TS of Saturn, rye, laugh and the world laughs with you and overshoe.

I got the entire category of planets right.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Amazingly, and probably because of "Chile" in the clue, I correctly guessed (and it was a total guess) FJ tonight!  I was shocked, shocked, I tell you, to find that I was right.  And it was an asterisk to boot.  Good for me!

I also got Saturn, rye, laugh and the world laughs with you, and overshoes.

Good game tonight.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On Jeopardy, Chilean writer = Pablo Neruda or Isabel Allende.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Amazingly, and probably because of "Chile" in the clue, I correctly guessed (and it was a total guess) FJ tonight!  I was shocked, shocked, I tell you, to find that I was right.  And it was an asterisk to boot.  Good for me!

I also got Saturn, rye, laugh and the world laughs with you, and overshoes.

Good game tonight.

We got the exact same TSs.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, dcalley said:

On Jeopardy, Chilean writer = Pablo Neruda or Isabel Allende.

And they spotted you “women” 🙂

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Spouse & adult child, many times:  “oh it’s obviously this well-known sports person who everyone in the world knows.”  Me: “who?”

today, me: “oh, obviously it’s Isabel Allende”.  Everyone else: “who?”

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And I hate the new champ's stupid hair.  

Same.

37 minutes ago, dcalley said:

On Jeopardy, Chilean writer = Pablo Neruda or Isabel Allende.

Thanks for the info.

The chances of me remembering that for the next time are slim and none. lol

I said Condoleezza Rice.

What?

She could have been born in Chile.

Or gone to school there. 

Or.....

<sigh>

I'll show myself out.

I did get rye, so there!

 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And I hate the new champ's stupid hair. 

Okay Boomer.

Around here everyone stores grain in a bin. There is a big bin behind my barns. It's not a hopper.

What's up with Trebek being all "everyone knows rye  bread is black." No it isn't. The rye bread I make and buy is a nice tan color.

I guess people don't wear overshoes any more. Remember Totes (TM) anyone?

I got a laugh that Kit Carson was one of the J6 answer choices.

Also, respect the FJ category was Woman Authors.

I like Michonne because she doesn't upspeak her answers. I also like that she's the first Michonne I've come across since I quit watching The Walking Dead.

FJ = Never in a million. I grabbed Hillary Clinton out of the air just to have an answer. Was pleased to see a person who was actually smart enough to be on Jeopardy wrote the same.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I really like Michonne.  She reminds me of one of my nieces with the sparkling eyes and lotsa dark curly hair. She's smart, gracious, and has no irritating habits (like swaying or vocal fry!) Katy and Abujean (sp?) were nice people too but I was rooting for Michonne.

Would boots have been accepted? We never called them overshoes where I grew up (NYS) and I remember my dad's big galoshes with the buckles. Not sure if men still wear them today.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

 

Would boots have been accepted? We never called them overshoes where I grew up (NYS) and I remember my dad's big galoshes with the buckles. Not sure if men still wear them today.

Over in quotation marks I believe.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size