Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I wasn't keeping track of TSs, but when the DD about Chief Joseph popped up, it got my attention. My first horse was an Appaloosa, so that was a no brainer for me. (I'm thinking it was for you also @Mindthinkr, amiright?)

I got a huge laugh out of Audrey asking to change her wager on that DD. I wish I could have ESP'd the answer to her. That was a first for this show, so she deserves a Good For You.

Otherwise, there was cowboy (they rode Appaloosas too) and Hunter S. Thompson, everyone's fav gonzo journalist.

For FJ I almost said Brie, until I reread the clue. So went with Camembert. I don't have a clue why I knew that. But this was another example of the FJ subject being not quite what the category makes one think it will be. I don't know any French towns, but I do know me some cheeses.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I was about 60% sure it was, based on her interview, where she seemed to have a rather dry and sarcastic sense of humour.

I totally took that question as a joke. (that's probably what I might have said). It was funny & very unusual for this show.  The champ seemed calmer tonight (not irritating, at least to me).

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I totally took that question as a joke. (that's probably what I might have said). It was funny & very unusual for this show.  The champ seemed calmer tonight (not irritating, at least to me).

I agree. She was joking. I thought it was funny.

• Love 8

I just got home, so it was another archive night for me -- all those TS and clues left uncovered might have been painful to watch.

The São Paulo TS surprised me, once Rio was ruled out.  And interplanetary surprised me, especially with transplanetary said first.  Sacraments also surprised me, because if I know/can correctly guess (the latter in this case) something about religion, I figure it's common enough knowledge that at least one of three J! contestants came across it during prep, if nothing else.  Hunter S. Thompson surprised me a bit, as did I-10, Mark Harmon, and Royal Caribbean, and I'm also a little surprised no one even took a guess with cyclops.

I stared blankly at my monitor for the entire Greater Than category.  Boo, hiss.  The older I get, the more current pop culture I am ignorant of.  But I did well otherwise, and FJ was an instaget, so good for me.

• Love 3

I didn't get the impression that Audrey was kidding at all. If she was, she really needs to work on her delivery. I got a weird vibe from her during her interview when she flightily said that Alex reminded her that she wasn't getting paid at that trivia job she does. She just came across kind of strange. 

The guy reminded me of Ted Kaczynski. He didn't annoy me at all as a contestant (though he did have sort of an outdoor voice), and I would have been fine with it if he had won, but he looked like Ted Kaczynski, IMO. 

Other than that, it was a good game!

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

And interplanetary surprised me, especially with transplanetary said first. 

I said intragalactic, which is close in letters, but once I have an answer, I usually stick with it.  I'm quite stubborn that way.

I didn't think she was joking either, but maybe she was and is just really really dry.

I never realized that the middle of the recycling symbol looked like a pine tree.

I'm very embarrassed that I didn't get any TSs. I knew Hunter Thompson but couldn't think of his name. I blame it all on... you guessed it -- wine.

• LOL 4
On 1/30/2020 at 12:00 PM, ErinV said:

Once again in FJ, Alex did his thing where he presses the contestant to say what they wrote, when it was clearly a wrong answer.  The woman who wrote her husband's name kept shaking her head, like she knew it was wrong.  Why does he insist on doing that?  It's just embarrassing for the contestant, who already feels bad because they got it wrong.  

On 1/30/2020 at 12:41 PM, saber5055 said:

In this case, I suspect AT already knew what she had written, and she got a shout out to her husband which would have been "illegal" if she had written it along with a real/wrong answer. She might have been spooked because writing shout outs was declared against Jeopardy law during James' run. Much of the time, there is a tell cluing us to AT knowing what everyone has written for FJ. I imagine that player and her husband and family watching at home got a kick out of it, now that the show has aired and the result is known. JMHO.

She was the one who snuck her children’s initials on her signature display as well.  I didn’t feel a bit annoyed that Alex pressed her on the FJ answer.

Speaking of slow play, has any contestant, when in the lead toward the end of DJ, intentionally taken a long time to select categories so time would run out and thus keep opponents from getting more points?

Would that even be a possible strategy?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, NoReally said:

Speaking of slow play, has any contestant, when in the lead toward the end of DJ, intentionally taken a long time to select categories so time would run out and thus keep opponents from getting more points?

Would that even be a possible strategy?

I'm pretty sure that's been done although I don't have any particular players in mind.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe Chichen Itza was a TS with a photo and a clue basically reminding us it's in MesoAmerica, not Egypt.  I wasn't impressed with any of the players in this game, what with so many TS and how slow they were in answering.  Michelle got in her DD because Alex likes her, I think, not because she actually got it in time.

• Love 3
On ‎01‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:03 PM, Browncoat said:

What a terrible game!  Not that I would do better, mind you, but man, some of those responses were bad.  That said, I did not get FJ.  Sorry, Alex, I don't automatically think of Camembert when I think of Brie.

I did because it was the only other soft French cheese I could think of.  I did think of Roquefort, but it's not a soft cheese like Brie.  But if you're not someone who eats a lot of European cheese, or knows much about it, it wouldn't have been an easy FJ.

On ‎01‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:05 PM, GreekGeek said:

I will give Audrey the benefit of the doubt that her "Can I change my wager?" request on the DD was tongue in cheek. I lost sympathy for her when she couldn't think of one Native American tribe as a guess, though.

I get that she didn't know the correct tribe, but she could've said something.  Although sometimes one gets a block when the clue isn't what you thought it might be, so I'm still willing to have sympathy for her.  I took her "Can I change my wager?" as a joke.

On ‎01‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:03 PM, Browncoat said:

But I did get a lot of TS -- and there were a LOT to get -- including sacraments, Chichen Itza, Mark Harmon, Royal Caribbean, Nez Perce, I-10, interplanetary, cowboy, and Hunter S. Thompson.

I got most of those except for I-10 (I had no clue at all for that one), Royal Caribbean (because I didn't hear the entire clue and said Carnival instead) and sacraments - I was getting there but could only come up with sacred rite thingys.

On ‎01‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:03 PM, Katy M said:

got the TSs of Sao Paulo, Mark Harmon, Royal Carribbean, cowboy, Priam (but only after Audrey helped me out, I only knew it started with a P until her wrong answer gave it to me), and Cyclops.

I knew Priam because I love Greek history, and Cyclops because I love Greek mythology.  I said Rio because I can never remember that Sao Paulo is bigger and because Rio's slums, the favelas, are quite famous.  Or more accurately, infamous.

On ‎01‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:05 PM, GreekGeek said:

I missed FJ; did not know Camembert was a town and a type of brie cheese. All I could think of was ChateauBRIEand.

Camembert isn't a type of brie.  It's a similar, very soft cheese with a grayish rind.  The flavor is different, though, as brie is milder with a buttery taste whereas camembert's flavor is more earthy and pretty intense.  I find that I prefer brie, but that may be because I once had camembert on a baguette while sitting near the Eiffel Tower and it was just too much camembert in one go; the highly discerning French pigeons had to finish it for me.

• Love 4

Did anyone else feel that the symbols in the first round threw the contestants off? It was almost like they had to translate the symbol in their heads before speaking it, they just seemed to stumble a bit when saying the categories.

• Love 8
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 1:35 AM, DXD526 said:

I didn't get the impression that Audrey was kidding at all. If she was, she really needs to work on her delivery. I got a weird vibe from her during her interview when she flightily said that Alex reminded her that she wasn't getting paid at that trivia job she does. She just came across kind of strange. 

Idk, both things came across as dry humor to me.  Mileage varies, I guess.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 1:35 AM, DXD526 said:

The guy reminded me of Ted Kaczynski. He didn't annoy me at all as a contestant (though he did have sort of an outdoor voice), and I would have been fine with it if he had won, but he looked like Ted Kaczynski, IMO. 

He reminded me of one of the lawyers with whom I deal on a regular basis.  They both have unattractive beards but otherwise seem like nice guys; the lawyer definitely is a nice guy.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 12:07 PM, peeayebee said:

I never realized that the middle of the recycling symbol looked like a pine tree.

Me neither.

I answered anthropologist for that 14 letter word clue because it looked to me like the skulls in the photo were hominid skulls, and paleoanthropologist is too many letters.  Yeah, I know it didn't fit the etymology part of the clue, and I know paleontologists study more than just dinosaurs, but still.  My answer was better, damn it.

22 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I couldn't believe Chichen Itza was a TS with a photo and a clue basically reminding us it's in MesoAmerica, not Egypt.  I wasn't impressed with any of the players in this game, what with so many TS and how slow they were in answering.  Michelle got in her DD because Alex likes her, I think, not because she actually got it in time.

I'm sure she got it in just barely in time.  Jeopardy does not mess around with stuff like that, and they can stop taping of check it on the spot if necessary.  But I agree with the rest of your post.  It really surprised me that none of them either knew or was willing to take a chance on Chichen Itza.

Edited by proserpina65
Edited so my sentence made sense
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Did anyone else feel that the symbols in the first round threw the contestants off? It was almost like they had to translate the symbol in their heads before speaking it, they just seemed to stumble a bit when saying the categories.

I thought it tossed them off their game too.  It was quite noticeable.

Brie did not lead me to Camembert - it lead me to Neufchatel - I don't know if that is a French town or not but it is a soft cheese and sounds like it could be a French town.  Still wrong though.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I answered anthropologist for that 14 letter word clue because it looked to me like the skulls in the photo for hominid skulls

Thanks for making me feel better that I answered "anthropologist" as well.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Brie did not lead me to Camembert - it lead me to Neufchatel - I don't know if that is a French town or not but it is a soft cheese and sounds like it could be a French town.  Still wrong though.

It is a French town, and is less then 200 kilometers from Camembert.  So you weren't far wrong.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I got FJ.  

I got the TSs of Pagoda, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Fiddler's, Jerusalem, Pennsylvania, and Richelieu.

I actually only missed one clue in the first round.  No, I don't remember what it was.  I missed the entire category of TV news shows, but they didn't finish it.  I might have gotten the $400.  

I had to think way too hard about FJ today, but the year and the word "created" finally led me to the right response.  Fortunately, DMZ doesn't take too long to write!

I was really surprised that Massachusetts was a TS!  I got that along with pagoda (on a guess), Wisconsin, heartwood, and Cardinal Richelieu.  That last I got because of The Three Musketeers.

• Love 1

Yay, Travis! I was pulling for him cause he was at 0 for so long. I was sure the ER dr was going to be the new champ (I'm sure it was nerves but his swaying was makin' me seasick!). Did anyone else get FJ? I never heard of this designated place for animals...thought it was created during the Vietnam war. I did ok in Jeopardy, better than dbl Jeopardy. Loved pulling up onomotopeia out of my brain + recalling the ad, "the beer that made Milwaukee famous" (no idea if that was Pabst, though!)

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Did anyone else get FJ? I never heard of this designated place for animals.

Not designated for animals, but as Alex said, the animals do well there because of the lack of people.

• Love 3

I'm surprised no one even guessed Jerusalem, and the flagship and Jake Tapper TS were clues I'd have predicted someone would get. 

But I was accurate in my FJ prediction; Asia + 1953 year brought the DMZ to my mind and I stuck with it, but figured - and wondered if they were right, but "created" had me pretty confident - most contestants would go with someplace designed for the protection of endangered species rather than someplace resulting in it.

I love the word onomatopoeia, and after "it's hard not to like a guy who doesn't know frumpy but knows onomatopoeia" on The West Wing, I could never possibly forget it.

Travis's "shame I know that" after the 140-proof answer gave me a chuckle as it did Alex.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I am so excited that between the filming of this episode and airing that one of the unfilmed novels “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay will soon be a miniseries!  
FJ was an IG.

Edited by biakbiak

I got pagoda and Wisconsin. (Had to work backwards from Milwaukee to prompt my brain as to what state that was.)

I get Denmark and The Netherlands mixed up.

Had no idea for FJ, but it was interesting to learn that.

I'm glad Travis won. I like his personality and sense of humor.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My husband said Great Barrier Reef for FJ. I looked at him and said The Great Barrier Reef wasn't created in 1953. He totally missed the word created in the clue. 

That's what my husband said too....Great Barrier Reef....but I had No Clue!  DMZ would never have come into my head

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Wisconsin. (Had to work backwards from Milwaukee to prompt my brain as to what state that was.)

In the comfort of my own home, I immediately blurted out "Milwaukee" before correcting myself because, while the reference was an IG, wait a minute, there, they want the state, not the city.  I like to think I'd be more deliberate in answering under game conditions, but it's entirely possible I'd have cost myself money.

2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think Jake Tapper was a TS because these contestants are most likely working when his show is on.

I've never seen his CNN shows, due to the weekday afternoon and Sunday morning timeslots, but I recognized him due to clips from them (and the debates he moderated) being played on other shows, his appearances on political talk shows, and, sort of, from his earlier appearances on the ABC shows (but I'd have never pulled up his name just from memories of that!).

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget for me because I read about that somewhere and found it fascinating.  I was very surprised the middle guy missed the answer because I was prepared for him to win and I preferred my hometown guy, Travis! He's not exactly from Philadelphia but a suburb of it. I'm waiting for the $4,133 bet because I'm sure he's an Eagles fan. Go Birds! 🙂

• Love 2

The year, the space designated (long and thin), and Asia made me instantly say DMZ.  I argued with myself through the think music, but I couldn't come up with anything that fit better, so I stuck with it.  And it was right.  I like when I get something through thinking, even if I'm not sure until the reveal if I'm right.

38 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

The year, the space designated (long and thin), and Asia made me instantly say DMZ.  I argued with myself through the think music, but I couldn't come up with anything that fit better, so I stuck with it.  And it was right.  I like when I get something through thinking, even if I'm not sure until the reveal if I'm right.

Same here.  Asia, 1953, and the size of the area made it pretty obvious to me.  I did wonder if it would be necessary to specify the Korean DMZ--there are other demilitarized zones in the world.  But I think that the Korean one is the only one that's regularly called "The Demilitarized Zone," with no other qualifications.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
On 1/31/2020 at 10:35 PM, DXD526 said:

Idk, both things came across as dry humor to me.  Mileage varies, I guess.

I wanted to believe it was a joke, and I'm a big fan of dry wit. But the awkward pause and uncomfortable silence made us think it wasn't.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love the word onomatopoeia, and after "it's hard not to like a guy who doesn't know frumpy but knows onomatopoeia" on The West Wing, I could never possibly forget it.

I love the word too. It's just fun to say - like hippopotamus.

9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think Jake Tapper was a TS because these contestants are most likely working when his show is on. 

I got him because he's a frequent guest on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Friday night was ho hum for me, but my beau got more answers that I did for the first time. He got a “good for you” from me. I’m using Peeayebee’s excuse...wine. Last night I did well enough, but didn’t get FJ. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  

I got the TSs of Pagoda, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Fiddler's, Jerusalem, Pennsylvania, and Richelieu.

I actually only missed one clue in the first round.  No, I don't remember what it was.  I missed the entire category of TV news shows, but they didn't finish it.  I might have gotten the $400.  

I didn't get Fiddler's Green, but did get the rest.  Some of those seemed kinda easy to me.

I did not, however, get FJ.  DMZ seemed obvious after the fact, but for some reason 1953 didn't scream "Just after the Korean War!" to me despite years of watching MASH.

17 hours ago, Driad said:

My first thought was neutral zone, but I corrected it to DMZ in time.

That's where all the Romulan endangered species live.

17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

"the beer that made Milwaukee famous"

was Schlitz.  But Pabst started in Milwaukee as well.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm surprised no one even guessed Jerusalem, and the flagship and Jake Tapper TS were clues I'd have predicted someone would get. 

I got all of those.  If I'd missed flagship, I'd have been drummed out of my Horatio Hornblower fan group.

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

get Denmark and The Netherlands mixed up.

I took a class which involved a lot of discussion of the Spanish Netherlands during the Elizabethan era, so that was an instaget for me.

I got the James Buchanan answer because his estate is Lancaster, and my friend and I actually drove past it once when we were in the area.

• Love 4

Schlitz! Now I remember those ads, with the tall "V" shaped glass filled with beer, topped with foam. And a male voice would say, "Schlitz--the beer that made Milwaukee famous".  Who knew that an old TV ad would some day help me name a state during Jeopardy. Thanks, proserpina65☺️

• Love 2

was Schlitz.  But Pabst started in Milwaukee as well.

Thank you, thank you. I graduated from the U of Wisconsin, so knew Pabst started in Milwaukee, but for the life of me couldn't think of 'Schlitz' and then forgot to google 'the beer that made Milwaukee famous.'

I even visualized Laverne (RIP Penny) and Shirley, but that was Shotz Beer.

I really, really like Travis, love his sense of humor, so hopefully he's not doomed.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

If I'd missed flagship, I'd have been drummed out of my Horatio Hornblower fan group.

Whenever I hear 'Horatio Hornblower' I always think of Halle Berry at the Emmys years ago announcing the winner as 'Horatio the Hornblower.' 😄

• LOL 4

Living near Wisconsin made Pabst/Wisconsin a no brainer. The U of Wisconsin-Madison is one of the top 10 drunkenest (is that a word?) universities, and Wisconsin itself is ranked No. 3 for most beer consumed per capita. People joke about Wisconsin being inhabited by cheese heads and beer drinkers. (Joke/Not a Joke)

Sing this: "What'll ya have? Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

When I would go to La Crosse, Wisconsin, I always made a point to drive by the Heileman brewery and the World's Largest Six Pack that was painted like Heileman's Old Style. The tanks were ... you guessed it ... used to store beer.

beer.jpg.3de4dcd4bee350d3c88d83a1d2c52bda.jpg

Edited by saber5055
I went to LaCrosse a lot.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Whenever I hear 'Horatio Hornblower' I always think of Halle Berry at the Emmys years ago announcing the winner as 'Horatio the Hornblower.'

While it makes me remember the 1980 Democratic National Convention when President Carter, in his acceptance speech, called Hubert Humphrey "Hubert Horatio Hornblower." I was watching and will never forget that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

While it makes me remember the 1980 Democratic National Convention when President Carter, in his acceptance speech, called Hubert Humphrey "Hubert Horatio Hornblower." I was watching and will never forget that.

Emblazoned on my mind. Even more of a whoopsie because Humphrey had passed a little over two years prior. I'm sure Carter was mortified. (and it was likely HHH's mean nickname in DC)

• Love 1