Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I ran quickly through the African countries on the Mediterranean and figured that Tripoli means three cities in Greek so that fit.

I've been to the Rock of Gibraltar. In fact, there are a colony of Barbary monkeys that live there. There's a legend that says that if there are no more monkeys on the Rock, Gibraltar will return to Spain. 

I was singing the SchoolHouse Rock songs during that category. Unlike Interjections!, Lolly, and Conjunction Junction, I didn't remember Busy Prepositions either so I looked it up. 

Conjunction Junction and Interjections!  were the best.  I was thinking of those songs too

I thought FJ was Alexandria.  Though maybe that is not a capital.  I just knew there are a bunch of Alexandria

Did they accept "fax me" instead of "page me"? ????

33 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Conjunction Junction and Interjections!  were the best.  I was thinking of those songs too

I thought FJ was Alexandria.  Though maybe that is not a capital.  I just knew there are a bunch of Alexandria

Did they accept "fax me" instead of "page me"? ????

Alexandria popped into my mind also, but no, to the best of my knowledge, it's not a current capital.

They were looking for "fax me."  They accepted "beep me."

• Love 1
4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Well, all righty then.  That would explain accepting "Beep Me." Not the answer they were looking for, but still correct.

I got the impression that the category was about current things that might be on a Necco wafer heart, not real and actual words. The clue pointed to FAX ME, which isn't exactly a current phrase, but neither is BEEP ME. Which might be construed as something quite different than a pager. I don't know how I would take it if someone gave me a heart that said BEEP ME.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I got the impression that the category was about current things that might be on a Necco wafer heart, not real and actual words. The clue pointed to FAX ME, which isn't exactly a current phrase, but neither is BEEP ME. Which might be construed as something quite different than a pager. I don't know how I would take it if someone gave me a heart that said BEEP ME.

I'm pretty sure they were going for things that are/were actually on the hearts.  And, I'd prefer "beep me" to "bite me."  As for faxing and beeping not being current, the clue did say it was a now outmoded way of communication.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I think my head must be in the same barn gutter as yours 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

ETA:  I looked it up and found NECCO hearts that said "Beep Me."  I did NOT find any that said "Page me."

4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Well, all righty then.  That would explain accepting "Beep Me." Not the answer they were looking for, but still correct.  Thanks!

But they didn't accept "Beep me".  That was ruled incorrect, and "page me" got the "we'll accept that; we were going for 'fax me'" response from Alex.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But they didn't accept "Beep me".  That was ruled incorrect, and "page me" got the "we'll accept that; we were going for 'fax me'" response from Alex.

Well, then, that was a bunch of BS.  Did anybody notice if the dollar amounts changed, surreptitiously.  Maybe they also accepted beep me, but didn't say anything about it.  There could very well have been a page me heart. Like I said, I didn't do an exhaustive search.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Bliss said:

I do my best to not be triggered by personal quirks of contestants; however, I discovered I didn't want Adella to win for purely selfish reasons. I didn't want to be annoyed tomorrow (her voice). Shallow, I know.

I was annoyed by her voice, her hair and her shirt.  Petty, but true nonetheless.

19 hours ago, Katy M said:

I did not get FJ. I did not know there were 2 Tripolis

Me, neither, and I'm usually decent at geography.

general, Horatio, Leaky and Maine

I got these, and conjunction.  And then had "Conjunction junction, what's your function?" stuck in my head for hours.

I got the entire categories of Biopics, parts of speech, antonyms and anniversaries right. 

I didn't do to well on parts of speech, but I ran the rest.

That's part of what I'm afraid of.  People online can be so brutal to the contestants. And I know I'm weird.  I also tend to squint, and I've seen people complain about that.  And I'm very high-strung, so I'm sure i'd be one of those buzzermashing people that really get people going on here.

I'm glad I didn't know about any online boards like this when I was on.  I'm sure I swayed (have to keep moving my weight from foot to foot when I stand for very long), I know I had at least one really stupid brain fart answer, and who knows what else.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm pretty sure they were going for things that are/were actually on the hearts.  And, I'd prefer "beep me" to "bite me."  As for faxing and beeping not being current, the clue did say it was a now outmoded way of communication.

Ironically I sent three faxes today.  Send them all the time at my job.

• Love 2

The only TS I got was suicide.  I'm not sure what that says about me.

I got the entire categories of alliteration, Monroe, doctoring and sin right.

I did NOT get FJ.  I knew I wouldn't the second I saw the category.  

What was up with Sarah there at the end?  She looked like she was getting really angry that new champ kept beating her to the buzzer -- all the hair flipping and such.  

I did not get FJ, though I should have.  I saw both those movies in the theater.  

The only TS I got were Blue and Black Beauty.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was annoyed by her voice, her hair and her shirt.  Petty, but true nonetheless.

Does anyone remember what the medical condition was that she described during the interview segment (I assume we're talking about the lady in the middle, from yesterday). I wanted to look it up on Wikipedia. I believe it was something similar to synesthesia.

2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Me too. Sent 13 today, received more than I can count.

Of course, they're still outdated...just like all the other technology that hospitals use.

The "on call" pager for my job - that is passed along to whoever is on call on a given night - was replaced by a flip phone a few months ago.

• LOL 2

I was irritated not to arrive home until ten minutes into the show -- only to find out it didn't matter, as the station is running Monday's episode.  I quite enjoyed it the first time around, but would like to see the new one tonight.  So, off to the archive I went.

I ran the first round, but the colorful pop culture animals category killed me in DJ; I only knew the white rabbit (I've heard of Pinky and the Brain, but couldn't spit that out).  I think I missed a few more scattered clues, but I got FJ.  So I had a really good game.

So did the contestants; not a lot of TS, and no big surprises among them (grocery stores and suicide a little).

30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was irritated not to arrive home until ten minutes into the show -- only to find out it didn't matter, as the station is running Monday's episode. 

I was irritated to find this, too. I found the ep online.

I didn't get any TSs. I guessed Christophe Waltz, though I was pretty sure the pics he won for didn't win Best Picture.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I don’t think M. Ali would have been accepted.

I say it would have. One person answered Hanks and another wrote Gosling. As long as AT didn't say Muhammad Ali, you'd have been the winner.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Once again in FJ, Alex did his thing where he presses the contestant to say what they wrote, when it was clearly a wrong answer.  The woman who wrote her husband's name kept shaking her head, like she knew it was wrong.  Why does he insist on doing that?  It's just embarrassing for the contestant, who already feels bad because they got it wrong.  

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, ErinV said:

It's just embarrassing for the contestant, who already feels bad because they got it wrong.

In this case, I suspect AT already knew what she had written, and she got a shout out to her husband which would have been "illegal" if she had written it along with a real/wrong answer. She might have been spooked because writing shout outs was declared against Jeopardy law during James' run. Much of the time, there is a tell cluing us to AT knowing what everyone has written for FJ. I imagine that player and her husband and family watching at home got a kick out of it, now that the show has aired and the result is known. JMHO.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was irritated not to arrive home until ten minutes into the show -- only to find out it didn't matter

We in Detroit were not supposed to see any of the episode but the Governor had a mercifully short State of the State address so I at least saw part of it.

Sarah's mannerisms were a bit much. We'll see how Franklin Delano Romanowski does 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Ailianna said:

My office gets fax from the local detention center every morning, and has to fax a reply as well.  We use our multi-purpose copy machine to do it now, rather than a stand alone machine but it's still faxing.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I did NOT get FJ.  I knew I wouldn't the second I saw the category.

I used to be excellent at Oscars categories, but 21st century winners are a problem for me.  However, I knew it was Mahershala Ali before Alex started reading the clue aloud.  Might not have spelled it correctly, though.  Probably would've just stuck with Ali.

15 hours ago, secnarf said:

The "on call" pager for my job - that is passed along to whoever is on call on a given night - was replaced by a flip phone a few months ago.

I was under the impression that using a pager for on call staff had to do with reception and interference with medical equipment from cell phones.  Is that not the case?  (I have a flip phone, btw.  Don't need a smartphone enough to pay the vast difference in service cost.)

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

In this case, I suspect AT already knew what she had written, and she got a shout out to her husband which would have been "illegal" if she had written it along with a real/wrong answer. She might have been spooked because writing shout outs was declared against Jeopardy law during James' run. Much of the time, there is a tell cluing us to AT knowing what everyone has written for FJ. I imagine that player and her husband and family watching at home got a kick out of it, now that the show has aired and the result is known. JMHO.

Adding shout outs to FJ answers was discouraged back when I was on more than a decade ago.

On 1/29/2020 at 3:22 PM, proserpina65 said:
On 1/28/2020 at 6:27 PM, Bliss said:

I do my best to not be triggered by personal quirks of contestants; however, I discovered I didn't want Adella to win for purely selfish reasons. I didn't want to be annoyed tomorrow (her voice). Shallow, I know.

For me too, especially with that shirt (?) with the bow next to Sarah's see through. I am glad Sarah is gone probably for reasons already stated.

19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I only caught the last few qs of DJ and FJ.  I didn't get FJ.  I said Georgia on My Mind.

Seems like a lot of decent possibilities for FJ. I thought of Country Roads but rejected it because WV isn’t quite southern. Sweet Virginia seemed like a possibility because I live there and it sounded familiar. 

I got some laughs out of the boots category, but was disappointed that there was not a “These boots were made for walking...” Nancy Sinatra clue for $200. I did get Chukka (hey @saber5055 I know you got that one too), the Beatles, Granny boots, the DD of cornea (most of the medical category) and although I got Sweet Home Alabama, I don’t think I would have had time to write it down. 

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I only caught the last few qs of DJ and FJ.  I didn't get FJ.  I said Georgia on My Mind.

Me too: "Georgia on my Mind" came to my mind right away.  Then, when the answer was revealed, I was like "Duh, of course". 🙂

• Love 1

I initially thought about "Georgia On My Mind", but the year made me dismiss that one.  I was able to come up with "Sweet Home Alabama" in plenty of time to write it down.

I also got Polo, Beatles, and granny boots.

I don't remember Sweet Home Alabama as part of a tourism ad. Well, Jeopardy got rid of one irritating woman.  Now there's a new one--the new champ (F D Romanowski bit the dust). There's something about this woman that irritates me as well.  Maybe because she's acting a bit precocious?  I don't know what it is but I was hoping either of the men would win.  I have to say I was very proud of myself for getting balk, something a pitcher does. Prior to the Nats coming to town, I'd never have known what a balk is (the Nats taught me a lot about baseball).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was under the impression that using a pager for on call staff had to do with reception and interference with medical equipment from cell phones.  Is that not the case?  (I have a flip phone, btw.  Don't need a smartphone enough to pay the vast difference in service cost.)

Adding shout outs to FJ answers was discouraged back when I was on more than a decade ago.

No - pagers were just the technology available at the time. I think there used to be some interference with certain equipment, but cell phones have changed a lot since then. In literally every inpatient ward in the hospital I'm at, cell phones don't interfere with equipment and are widely used by staff and families. I and about 150 other people (staff and families) on my unit today used cell phones within 1 metre of ventilators and syringe pumps. No problems. There are cell phone signals and wifi signals throughout the air all the time now. Our paging department often will connect people through their cell phones rather than pagers, though we do still use pagers extensively.

My understanding about the FJ shout-outs is that they were always discouraged, but actually became forbidden while James was on, due to his excessive use of shout-outs. Not sure if this is true or not, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, secnarf said:

My understanding about the FJ shout-outs is that they were always discouraged, but actually became forbidden while James was on, due to his excessive use of shout-outs. Not sure if this is true or not, though.

Contestants have long (and maybe always, or at least since the first one did it) been admonished not to do it.  And when James consistently didn't abide by that, apparently something more was said.  But it's never been reported what would have happened if he'd kept doing it - would they dock money, rule him incorrect (incorporating the extraneous stuff into the answer, thus rendering it incorrect), what?  I suspect nothing, but maybe they told him not only would Alex not read it, they'd digitally erase it, so there would be no point, so, seriously, knock it the hell off.

Another good game tonight; not many TS, and no real head-scratchers in the bunch.  I didn't do as well as they did, but fine, and FJ was an instaget; it's one of those songs I love in spite of its lyrics (and the shitty movie that shares its name), so the clue brought it immediately to mind.  I considered a few other songs, but after doing the math on the release year, I felt sure it was "Sweet Home Alabama".

I was bummed they only uncovered two clues in the Super Bowl category tonight.  At least one of those two clues was about the Giants beating the Patriots.  Again.

I, too, was disappointed they didn't finish the Super Bowl category. I would have swept the category.  I was also sure they would bring up the Philly Special.  I like the new winner, mainly because I couldn't stand the champion.  I was shocked he missed FJ as it was an instaget for me.

Can I mention this pet peeve? Why do contestants not bet everything when they get a Daily Double on the 2nd line? IT'S GOING TO BE EASY, PEOPLE!!  Today, he missed but 99% the time, they get the answer. It's the second most easy question in that category! You have to bet everything, especially if you have a lot of money, like the woman a few weeks ago.  It cost her the game.  That is all.

• Love 2

Speaking of beepers,  a few years ago on 30 ROCK Liz Lemon had an obnoxious boyfriend played by Dean Winters. He was "Dennis, the Beeper King" and the joke was that that technology was already obsolete but he was sticking to it. So it amuses me that the two of them are now doing those All State "Mayhem" ads.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed DD of polo.  Might've been others as well but I don't remember them.

I also said Georgia on My Mind.  My brother couldn't do the math fast enough to get to the correct year and Sweet Home Alabama, but he was sure that my answer wasn't correct.  Pooey.  I like beating him.

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Now there's a new one--the new champ (F D Romanowski bit the dust). There's something about this woman that irritates me as well.  Maybe because she's acting a bit precocious?  I don't know what it is but I was hoping either of the men would win. 

I was rooting for her, probably because I used to work in Newark, Delaware and because I live 20 minutes away from it now.  I was watching with the sound off, so who knows, if I'd have been able to hear her, maybe I would've been irritated as well.

I did love that her interview bit was about the correct pronunciation of Newark, though.  When I worked for Borders Books, one of my jobs used to be special ordering from publishers, and the NY ones would invariably either spell it "New Ark" because that's how it's pronounced or try to correct my pronunciation.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

No - pagers were just the technology available at the time. I think there used to be some interference with certain equipment, but cell phones have changed a lot since then. In literally every inpatient ward in the hospital I'm at, cell phones don't interfere with equipment and are widely used by staff and families. I and about 150 other people (staff and families) on my unit today used cell phones within 1 metre of ventilators and syringe pumps. No problems. There are cell phone signals and wifi signals throughout the air all the time now. Our paging department often will connect people through their cell phones rather than pagers, though we do still use pagers extensively.

Oh, okay, that makes sense.  Thanks for the info.

9 hours ago, solarfire said:

Can I mention this pet peeve? Why do contestants not bet everything when they get a Daily Double on the 2nd line? IT'S GOING TO BE EASY, PEOPLE!!  Today, he missed but 99% the time, they get the answer. It's the second most easy question in that category! You have to bet everything, especially if you have a lot of money, like the woman a few weeks ago.  It cost her the game.  That is all.

IS this how it's done?  For some reason I thought DDs were exempt from the normal dollar values; they have to put them somewhere, but the difficulty of the question doesn't correlate to the dollar number where the DD sits.  I thought they were just supposed to be a little harder?  Huh.

34 minutes ago, ErinV said:

IS this how it's done?  For some reason I thought DDs were exempt from the normal dollar values; they have to put them somewhere, but the difficulty of the question doesn't correlate to the dollar number where the DD sits.

It's my understanding that the DD is directly related to the dollar/point amount it sits behind. Therefore, a 200 DD is easier than a 2000 one. A 200 DD is pretty rare, however.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

What a terrible game!  Not that I would do better, mind you, but man, some of those responses were bad.  That said, I did not get FJ.  Sorry, Alex, I don't automatically think of Camembert when I think of Brie.

But I did get a lot of TS -- and there were a LOT to get -- including sacraments, Chichen Itza, Mark Harmon, Royal Caribbean, Nez Perce, I-10, interplanetary, cowboy, and Hunter S. Thompson.

What was up with how slow Audrey was in picking clues?  I think she spoke more slowly than Oprah.

• Love 4

I got FJ, but honestly, I was kind of saying it as a joke.  I didn't think it was right.  But, it still counts because it was my answer.

I got the TSs of Sao Paulo, Mark Harmon, Royal Carribbean, cowboy, Priam (but only after Audrey helped me out, I only knew it started with a P until her wrong answer gave it to me), and Cyclops.

I get annoyed when there are 1 or 2 clues left over, so imagine how I felt tonight.  Audrey seemed nice enough, but she was a time eater.

• Love 3

Not a great game tonight; lots of TS's. I got sacraments, Chichen Itza, interplanetary, Hunter S. Thompson, Charles Guiteau, Priam, and Cyclops. Have other people found the regular games a letdown after the GOAT tournament? I keep thinking how Ken, James, and Brad would have crushed these questions. I missed FJ; did not know Camembert was a town and a type of brie cheese. All I could think of was ChateauBRIEand.

I will give Audrey the benefit of the doubt that her "Can I change my wager?" request on the DD was tongue in cheek. I lost sympathy for her when she couldn't think of one Native American tribe as a guess, though.

That said, I like Michelle and hope she can continue to win.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I will give Audrey the benefit of the doubt that her "Can I change my wager?" request on the DD was tongue in cheek. I lost sympathy for her when she couldn't think of one Native American tribe as a guess, though.

I was about 60% sure it was, based on her interview, where she seemed to have a rather dry and sarcastic sense of humour.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I think "can I change my wager" ought to have counted as her answer.  It was even in the form of a question.  But, yeah, she should have just guessed a tribe.  I said Cherokee. I was wrong. But at least I took a shot.

• Love 4