Type keyword(s) to search

Justice League - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I've only seen the premiere ("Shazam Slam") so far, and one thing that amazed me: the voice of "The Wizard" was Carl Reiner!  How did they manage to get him‽

I was trying to figure out who Wizard was as well! And pleasantly surprised to see it was Reiner!

And I find myself wondering if why Daly, Rosenbaum, Brown, weren't asked to reprise their roles? What can I say? They were the best!

I missed the start of the series and have only been able to watch Shazam Slam on OnDemand.

I wish that Susan Eisenberg voiced Wonder Woman and that Matt Ryan voiced Constantine.  Love that Kevin Conroy is back to voice Batman.   

I'm not a fan of the animation except for Batman.  I was distracted by Wonder Woman's unkempt hair and Constantine's style of speaking.  The styling of Wonder Woman reminds me of DC Super Hero Girls.

I wasn't a fan of the ensemble for Justice League Unlimited.  Too many characters who needed their own plot.  Man, Batman and WW get no love, but there's time for Huntress and Question's relationship?  (I'm just bitter.)

Same here.  Might as well make each episode a one-shot for an individual character. 

Overall, I like the plot of Shazam Slam.  It's not at the level of Justice League, but it's not exactly tween material.  And Batman continues to be the alpha male among alpha males.  He owned that episode.  If he existed in real life, panties would be dropping left and right (sorrynotsorry).  :)

• Love 2

Huh. On December 16, when it premiered on the cartoon network, I got four or five stories, hence the episode being an hour long. Yet a week later, what was supposed to be the next "new" episode, was "Shazam Slam!", which was just a repeat of the first short from Dec. 16th's premiere. By that logic, I probably won't see the next new episode until they run through the shorts I saw in the premiere, heh.

But YES! a gazillion million times to this:

On 1/1/2017 at 11:52 AM, spaulding said:

Batman continues to be the alpha male among alpha males.  He owned that episode.  If he existed in real life, panties would be dropping left and right (sorrynotsorry).  :)

I will not lie and admit, I totally would do this!

• Love 2

Teletoon is premiering the show tonight in Canada (unless I've missed a few episodes), but it looks like they're airing them out of order. They're airing an hour-long block of episodes, starting with "Classic Rock", then the first episode, followed by what looks like two brand-new ones, "Night of the Bat" and "Abate and Switch". Next week, they're only airing two new (to us) ones; "Follow That Space Cabbie" and "Nuclear Family Values".

I can't believe I didn't post this!!!!!!

Diana: "You know, we never did get to finish our dance."

Bats: "I don't know what you're talking about."

Diana: "If you say so. But you're still taking me dancing."

Bats and Diana walk off, hand in hand...

Me: SIGH........??????????????

"Maid of Honor"

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Bats: "I've got some things to say. I should have said them when you were here, but...despite our differences, I have nothing but respect for you. I hope you knew--know that. You showed me that justice doesn't always have to come from the darkness."

Me: *sniff*sniff*

J'onn: "You were greatly missed my friend...by all of us." Looks toward Bats

Diana: "Don't let him fool you. Your death hit him as hard as anyone."

Supes: "Really?"

Bats stands stoically; arms crossed

Bats: "No. I never thought you were dead in the first place."

"Hereafter"

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

So, I'm back to rewatching and am just finishing with "Comfort and Joy" and I can't believe that Babs would rather go skiing on Christmas, than spend it with her father, who she is very close to. Skiing during New Year's? Now that I can see. But not for Christmas.

The best parts were with Clark, Jonathan and Martha and J'onn, and Flash and Humanite. Just wonderful.

Though I will forever be bummed that we didn't see Bats/Bruce for Christmas.

Diana: "Then I guess you'll have to feed me."

Thanagarian Soldier turns around to face a tied up Diana.

Diana: "Don't worry, little man...I won't bite."

Diana bites soldier's hand, gets knife between her teeth and throws it at lock to open the cell door and frees herself and others.

--------------------------------------

Diana pulls away after minutes of being in a MAJOR LIPLOCK with Bruce.

Diana: "Sorry."

Bruce: (cocking an eyebrow with a satisfied smile) "Don't be."

Me: Puddle of GOO as butterflies dance in me tummy.

"Star Crossed"

And they're also airing the segments stand-alone, as opposed to putting them together in a half-hour regular time slot.  To quote the Beatles, "very strange."
"Follow That Space Cab!" is the first episode to air that wasn't part of the opening 1-hour show.

Patton Oswalt makes anything better. I wouldn't mind seeing more Space Cabbie, and I don't think anybody has ever said that. In other news, I am 90 percent certain the guy voicing Lobo did Rath on several of the Ben 10 series. He was good, though Brad Garrett is still my "go to." "Ding dong! Lobo calling!!"

Back when I was reading Judd Winick's run on Outsiders, I collected various old issues about that title. That included the first two issues of the relaunch in the Eighties, so you have to believe me when I say the Nuclear Family was a thing. Androids making like a Fifties family, able to manipulate nuclear energy. Firestorm would be a natural opponent. Bonus: we see the return of Dr. Stein's floating head, like in Super Powers. Also, Ronnie is a dork. "THE HEAT IS ON!!!!"

• Love 2

Meh episode. At least we didn't get John Constantine: Part-Time Hero/Full-Time Chimney Sweep. Down side: quippy Swamp Thing that's more hero and less elemental. And he's "played" by Mark Hamil, whom I wouldn't have thought to cast.

Beetle popped up in Batman: The Brave And The Bold (including the first episode) and Young Justice (second season). After Ted Kord got killed, Jaime Reyes (can't say the first name; sounds like a female body part) got a scarab attached to his back. Cue the shenanigans. He and Ted have their own comic from DC these days.

I liked Current Batman watching his younger self at work. "Was I that big a putz back then?"

ETA: Blue Beetle is going to be in the next Injustice game. He shares a "reveal" trailer with Wonder Woman.

I LOVED IT! And like @MarkHB said, the use and even scenery of B:TAS was perfection!!

The "pose" on top of the building as an homage to the original series's opening credits last shot! 

WB should just stick to animation-something they really excel in.  And again, the Batman episodes are the BEST! But I don't understand why they're airing them out of order.

• Love 1

So I finally watched this and it was...okay.

BUT. A big giant BOO!! at killing off Jason Blood!?????

Yes, yes, I realize that this movie is based on the shitastic and craptastic "New 52" but it still isn't as good as the pre52 adaptations. Like it acted as if those who watched it already knew of the relationships. Well, I didn't. I didn't know that Constantine and Zatanna were a thing, and that he was the one who "taught" her magic and not Zatarra (another thing to blame on 52 and is such bullshit); I didn't know who the hell Richie was or why he and Constantine had a falling out.

And what the fuck with Batman "hmmng" all the freaking time? He was pretty useless until near the end. Swamp Thing was extremely underutilized-what was the point of him?

I'm just glad I didn't have to suffer through having to watch Supes and Diana macking on each other.

At least with the pre52 movies, when I was unfamiliar with the comic, the movies didn't leave me confused as to the relationships or story. I can't say the same for this one. And I'm certainly not going to watch the Aquaman origin because of the grossness that is Fratboy Supes and tween Diana.

Didnt Rebirth undo the FUBARED shit in 52?

Yeah, still bitter.??

ETA: And now I'm off to look up Jason and Destiny's origins, because they're different here than from what I thought I knew from DCAU Justice League. I prefer Bruce Timm's take.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

OMG, we just had Ash Wednesday so it's way too soon for an episode to be this full of Easter eggs!

• I swear one of those toy bunnies was supposed to be Usagi Yojimbo
  • At one point during the Superman-Batman battle, it plays an 8-bit version of the John Williams Superman theme
  • During Wonder Woman's intro, she cycles through: some costume I didn't recognize, the classic one, the Cathy Lee Crosby outfit (complete with blonde hair), and Lynda Carter's swimsuit / motorcycle outfit!
  • The Batcave!  It had all the classic trophies (the penny, the giant joker card, the T-Rex), plus the '66 Batmobile, the '89 Batmobile, the TAS Batmobile, and a small sporty version I didn't recognize.

Anything else?

Steve Trevor was the training wheels. Clark is the ten-speed.

Liked the video game episode, even though Cyborg doesn't seem as evolved as his most popular incarnation. I did enjoy him hitting the "I AM BATMAN!" button too many times.

Just saw this. It was okay. Kinda annoyed how the Trinity thought the "killers" were that far gone. Diana, don't you have a lasso that compels people to tell the truth? "I saw monsters, I plowed through them with my car. Did not know they were people. Feeling ashamed and sheepish. Asheepish?"

At least Constantine was okay. No smokes, but lots of attitude and no feeling that he was watered down. I was good with the rest of the cast. Are fishnets really that hard to animate? Erm . . . I'm asking for a friend. Tegrof I dias taht. Also, captions for Zatanna would have been nice.

I just watched this tonight, and I caught that Destiny was a take on the old Dr. Destiny, a manipulator of dreams from the Silver and Bronze ages (in one of the early issues of The Sandman, it was revealed / retconned that his "materiopticon" was actually Dream's necklace).

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Seeing Cain on "Trick or Threat" made me think that, if they ever do a live action House of Secrets, I want Kevin Smith to play Abel.

And I immediately thought of JLU's "Kids Stuff."  

Was Abel the...narrator? He sort of sounded like Tim Curry.

Though this time around, I did enjoy seeing Wee Constantine and wee Dr. Fate.?

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And what the fuck with Batman "hmmng" all the freaking time? He was pretty useless until near the end. Swamp Thing was extremely underutilized-what was the point of him?

I'm just glad I didn't have to suffer through having to watch Supes and Diana macking on each other.

The hmmm-ing is annoying.  The movie wants to make Batman pensive, but he comes off as some caveman.

It's hilarious that Batman is dragged into every DC direct-to-video.  Like how Lego Batman is the break out star of The Lego Movie.  Darkness, No Parents!

Stop making Superman and Wonder Woman a thing.  Superman's boring, and forcing a S/WW relationship has made her boring.  (Their relationship in Justice League Action is boring and squicky at the same time.)  Drop the relationship and let Diana be great.  (Her flirtation with Batman in Justice League is hotter than her actual relationship with Superman.  And it didn't detract from her awesomeness.)

Batman aside, this movie is all about Constantine.  I love Matt Ryan and his short-lived Constantine show, so I'm glad that he gets to play Constantine again.  I hope that there's a plan for more Constantine movies.  I love how he's a likeable asshole, and somewhere, he is redeemable.

I don't know how I feel about this version of Zatanna, but she is bursting at the seams.  Yikes!

Jason Blood is dead.  Boo!  I care about him and Etrigan after JL. 

Not a fan of Swamp Thing, but it was creepy and sad about how he ended.  Is he permanently Swamp Thing without his human side?  Creepy that his human side was brutally pulled out and creepy that his human form is decaying.

DC shouldn't listen to Zack Snyder.  This movie is too dark/brutal.  Marvel is so much better at balancing lightness and darkness.

Side note: GHScorpiosRule, have you watched Powerless?  It's hilarious, and Batman and Bruce Wayne are unseen characters in it.  Love it.  The show gives a sense of humor to them.

• Love 1

I think the last episode of the first batch aired on Saturday. At 7:30 a.m. Seriously, CN, promote the DC property better! I like the premise: "You remember the B:TAS episode where the Penguin sabotages the Batmobile? Okay, what if it was half as long? And the Batmobile was possessed by a demon? And Etrigan winds up transforming an ice cream truck to fight it?" Gotta give the show points for creativity.

How long until new episodes? From what I understand, there are a ton of characters that will be featured. And I want to see Dex-Starr, perhaps the biggest Lantern not to be featured in GL:TAS.

ETA: JLAction is not on CN's 2017-18 lineup. It might be renewed later, so there's hope. And new episodes will be coming sooner than later.

On 3/30/2017 at 10:57 PM, spaulding said:

Not a fan of Swamp Thing, but it was creepy and sad about how he ended.  Is he permanently Swamp Thing without his human side?

I'm not sure of the current comics canon, but I know that, when Alan Moore was writing the book in the 80's, he established that the Swamp Thing was actually a plant that thought it was Alec Holland, and there was no hope for him to become human again.

While I've been enjoying the show, they really need to lighten up on Batman. In 15 episodes he has been the star or costar of 11. I get that he is an extremely popular character, but there are plenty of other Justice Leaguers that could use some time in the spotlight.

Cartoon Network is running episodes again. Last week had the Luthor/Circe teamup. Because this is centered for the kids and thus humorous, a magi artifact gives Lex power and great hair on his head and face.

I noticed that my cable system has episodes "On Demand," including stuff not aired on CN. I checked out "Rage Of The Red Lanterns"

Spoiler

Okay plot where the Trinity and Cyborg get stuck in Lobo's plot to rip them off by getting the Red Lanterns to fight them. If you watched GL:TAS, you'll recognize Atrocitus (voiced by Michael Dorn!), Bleez (no leathery wings, but the bones are covered) and Zilius Zox (still the dumbass whipping talking head thing). We also have Skallox (the guy with the goat head) and Dex-Starr. He's a cat! And he's cute!! I think he might be the most popular RL out there.

Gotta like Prof. Stein getting his body back after Firestorm got knocked out. And I liked this Killer Frost. Playful, devious, but not burdened with excessive baggage. Firestorm is still a putz, though.

I'm okay with Dex-Starr being a bit of a naughty cat. I was surprised to learn he came from Earth in the comics. Honestly did not know cats came in blue.