Type keyword(s) to search

Justice League - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Flash [to Bats and Orion]: "Hey guys . So it looks like Superman and GL are in space, Wonder Woman is handling disasters..."

Bats: "Why are you here?"

Flash:"Ohhh, right, Uh, cuz it's Flash Appreciation Day...Yeah! It'll be great! I understand if everybody's too busy to come. No biggie." [Looks over at Bats hopefully]  "My mom's gonna be there.  Let's see... my uncle's flying in...would be great if the Original Seven made it. I mean, okay yeah, it's a Flash Museum, but to me, the whole League deserves the honor; all of us. Like I said, no biggie."  Sad sigh as he droops down.

Bats: "What time ?" 

Flash: "6:00. Noo! You're really coming?"

Orion shakes head.

Flash: "AWESOME! You're a stand up guy, Bats.  Don't ever let them call you a crazed loner."

Bats gives Flash a dirty look.

Flash: "Well, I've got a lot to do . I'm getting a key to the city today, I need to practice my museum speech, and Hey! I gotta polish my boots!" looks down at said boots and heads out.

Orion walks up to Bats...

Orion: "I can't believe you let that buffoon manipulate you.  You'd never see me at one of these museum openings."

Bats looks at Orion

Orion: "It's not Black Tie, is it?"

"Flash and Substance", one of my favorite Flash centric episodes ever; right next to "The Great Brain Robbery"!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

From "Starcrossed", after the remaining League decided to go underground as civilians:

Flash:  "Wait a minute.  What about the whole 'secret identity' thing?  I mean, I trust you guys, but I'm not sure I'm ready to..."

Batman (interrupting):  "Wally West.  Clark Kent."  (Batman unmasks.)  "Bruce Wayne."

(pause)

Flash:  "Showoff."

• Love 2

Bats: "Here's what we're going to do."

Flash: [Walks away] "Listen, I have to go home and change for tonight."

Bats: "We're coming with you."

Flash: "You really don't have to."

Bats: "We're.Coming.With.You."

Flash: [SIGHS] "AGHHH. Okaaay.  But you guys are so SLOW"

Bats and Orion look at each other.

"Flash and Substance"

What can I say? This episode had SO MANY funny lines!

(edited)

Flash: "I wonder what this does." [presses button and shoots hole in Wayne Manor]

Bats: "That's NOT helping." 

"Star-Crossed"

Diana: "No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time."

Batman:  "One: dating within the team always leads to disaster. Two: you're a princess from a society of immortal warriors; I'm a rich kid with issues... lots of issues. "

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

The stills from Batman vs Superman of Bruce and Diana together at a fancy ball really brought back the memories of this great DCAU pairing.

I realized the only reason I liked the ship was because of Kevin Conroy and Susan Eisenberg's vocals performance. Kevin as both Batman and Bruce Wayne and Susan as Diana and the way they interacted really made that ship work in a way which I don't think would have if I had just read it in the comics. It's the same with the Superman and Wonder Woman romance which I really dislike for a number of reasons in the New 52 books but seeing the recent "Justice League: Throne of Atlantis" movie they actually seem viable, so kudos to Jerry O'Connell and Rosario Dawson as Clark and Diana.

• Love 2

She got to say some of the more risque lines on the show like:

In Fury where Diana thinks men aren't important and Shayera responds, "Don't knock it until you've tried it Princess."

Or in "I am Legion" talking to Flash who has a crush on teammate Fire(seen talking with close friend Ice): "You'd probably be wasting your time anyway. I hear she's, y'know...(Flash looks worried) Brazilian."

and my personal favorite:

"Shadow of the Hawk" where she and Carter Hall are in Egypt after having gone out the night before and he looks at her superhero "I miss the dress." and she smiles and says "You didn't miss it last night."

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Justice League Reunion! At ComicCon NY 2015! Well, except for Wally/Flash/Rosenbaum (Boo!)

But my Shipper Heart SQUEED and I smiled and grinned at the last two or three lines between Bats and Diana.

"Am I bluuuuuuuuuu???"

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

I just did a two day marathon of watching the entire series because I've been suffering from the worst case of insomnia ever.  And I come away with a few things:

One, for all that Bruce Timm has said he's a purist, he did ignore it when he and his writers created the John Stewart and Shayera romance. Fine. BUT. What I didn't care for was how they made Hawkman into a jealous stalker.  I'm not totally versed in the history of Hawkman and Hawkgirl/Shayera, except what I've watched and what was revealed in Smallville's "Absolute Justice" which had Michael Shanks playing Carter Hall, and they had the story of he and Shayera being lovers/soulmates for eternity.  So me? Not happy that they did this with Carter, just to "show" (at least that's how it came off to me) that John and Shayera belonged together.

Another thing: the finale of the first season of JLU, "Epilogue."  I love 16 year old Terry; but I LOATHE 31 year old Terry. Asshole. Ungrateful punk. Even though I read somewhere that the black and white scenes of that  episode didn't actually happen but did go through Terry's mind. Give me a FUCKING BREAK, with the whining of how NONE of them, Dick, Tim, Barbara, himself, had a choice to be Robin, Batgirl or Batman. And to throw Selena's name in there? As if she wasn't a criminal? PUHLEAZE.  I vented my spleen on numerous occasions when talking about Babs in the Batman Beyond series about her revisionist history re her being on Bats' team. 

And even as Waller was telling Terry that she was the one who injected Terry's father with Bruce's DNA, I'm assuming it was just enough for the first child to be Bruce's, right? Because Terry has a younger brother. Maybe I'm overthinking (hey it was 4:00 in the morning when I was watching this episode) but wouldn't Terry's baby brother also be Bruce's child?

Going back to not going by canon, since they did the whole John and Shayera romance, I still don't understand why they dropped the ball with Bats and Diana! It's why "This Little Piggy", "Kids Stuff" and "Star-Crossed" remain among my favorite episodes. Ahhh, the potential! The POTENTIAL!!!!  And not for nuthin', but when the cast of this show reunited at NY Comiccon a month ago, Conroy and Eisenberg read that one line, which ended with Eisenberg singing "Am I Blue?" Which made my shipper heart go pitty pat. I don't know who wrote that script, but the crowd went wild, as did I. Because the tone in their voices and the way they read those lines? I was in shipper heaven.

• Love 3

I finally caught up with the movie a few days ago and then watched the individual shorts like "Bomb"(Superman), "Big"(Wonder Woman), and "Twisted"(Batman). The last one....whew! Now I get the casting of Batman's particular voice actor. Brilliant!

I thought the movie had a lot of great twists and things I wasn't expecting. The alternate versions of a lot o DC characters we know was pretty surprising.  I'm ashamed to admit that it wasn't until a day after I saw the movie that the shocking scene where

Highfather and the other New Gods of New Genesis surprise and kill Darkseid and the Gods of Apokalips after Bekka and Orion's wedding was a shoutout to the "Red Wedding" from Game of Thrones! I don't really think about that show unless I'm watching it on a weekly basis!

Edited by VCRTracking

My only worry is that it might be too watered down, in the attempt to capture a younger audience.  Like the way that Marvel followed "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" with "Avengers Assemble", or replaced "Spectacular Spider-Man" with "Ultimate Spider-Man".  Both featured pretty much the same characters, but there was a definite drop in the quality in the new shows, and I'm kinda scared the same thing's gonna happen here.

I'm still gonna watch it if Teletoon picks it up, though.

My only worry is that it might be too watered down, in the attempt to capture a younger audience.  Like the way that Marvel followed "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" with "Avengers Assemble", or replaced "Spectacular Spider-Man" with "Ultimate Spider-Man".  Both featured pretty much the same characters, but there was a definite drop in the quality in the new shows, and I'm kinda scared the same thing's gonna happen here.

I'm still gonna watch it if Teletoon picks it up, though.

Well, this show has two guys who were behind B:TAS: Alan Burnett and Butch Lukic (Justice League/Batman Beyond), so I am hopeful. I forgive Bruce Timm not being part of this since he's working on Batman: The Killing Joke, which Conroy and Hamill are also starring in!

Just thinking about this one this morning:

Orion:  Central City builds statues to this fool who makes bad jokes and concerns himself with pathetic men like the Trickster.  I don't understand.

Batman:  No, you don't.

Batman just sounds so disappointed.

• Love 1

The Flash/Batman friendship on this show was excellent because they were very different, but they clearly admired each other.

In the Justice Lord episode, Flash speeds up his heartbeat to flatline so it distracts Justice Lord Batman to come down and help him out. He admits he had to come up with something to help himself and Batman since the latter wasn't going to.

Batman: I couldn't because he was going to anticipate everything I was going to think of, but who could anticipate you?

• Love 2

Overall, this was a good movie. Hopefully Timm comes back for more projects. The DCAU is probably my favorite when it comes to DC's animated products.

HUSH HUSH! I want Timm do make HUSH next! With DCAU original cast: Kevin Conroy, Loren Lester, Adrienne Barbeau. David McCallister as Alfred; Mitch Pelleggi as Gordon.

HUSH HUSH! I want Timm do make HUSH next! With DCAU original cast: Kevin Conroy, Loren Lester, Adrienne Barbeau. David McCallister as Alfred; Mitch Pelleggi as Gordon.

I liked Hush, so I would hope that Timm is planning it in the future.  I hate the look of the new Justice League cartoon.  They look like kids. 

With the new Justice League and solo movies, I would like Timm to revisit the 90s Justice League. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Trini said:

Is there any particular reason why it seems The Flash and Green Lantern are specifically excluded?

To be honest, I was SOOO excited at hearing Conroy's Bats, and especially his "Did you miss me?", that I didn't pay attention: I was too busy squeeing and yelling (out loud) "Yes! YES, I did MISS YOU!" 

To see and HEAR Conroy on my small screen again as the BESTEST BATMAN EVAH!!! 

I was in heaven. Now, I only have to wait until the Fall, when it premieres.

• Love 1
On 10/31/2015 at 7:34 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And even as Waller was telling Terry that she was the one who injected Terry's father with Bruce's DNA, I'm assuming it was just enough for the first child to be Bruce's, right? Because Terry has a younger brother. Maybe I'm overthinking (hey it was 4:00 in the morning when I was watching this episode) but wouldn't Terry's baby brother also be Bruce's child?

Timm himself stated that Terry's little brother, Matt was also Bruce's biological son.  In fact, at one point it was discussed that he'd be a robin of sorts to Terry.

Saw the trailer. I'm piqued. Bringing back the Floating Head Of Dr. Stein is a good thing. And Dex-Starr! I reckon he was the most notable absent Lantern on Green Lantern: The Animated Series. I'm guessing we're getting fifteen-minute episodes because it'll be geared for the kids. For those of us who cut our teeth on hour-long JL episodes, it'll be an adjustment.

5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

From CBR: JLAction to feature 152 characters. And one boy tries to catch them all. Just kidding.

So, like Justice League Unlimited?

This had me raising my brows and going WTF???!!to Alan Burnett. I'm really disappointed in him. I thought he was more enlightened than this:

"We wanted to do a show for kids,

to appeal to boys in particular,"  

Bolding mine.

Really, Alan? "to BOYS in particular? UGH.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Really, Alan? "to BOYS in particular? UGH.

Because there are so few of those types of shows already on Cartoon Network? ::rolls eyes::

• Love 1

Here are some clips, and a guy who claims "This is more Teen Titans Go, and less Unlimited."

Uhhhhh, No.

Superman is not telling everyone fairy tales, Wonder Woman is not telling Uncle Jokes, and Batman is not debating with Cyborg (OK, he's basically the same, but so what?) whether a burger is better than a burrito.

And let's not forget that Unlimited had several "denser" episodes as well.

"Superman, Wonder Woman and I have been turned into 8 year olds, Flash has had his mind swapped with Luthor, and Huntress and Black Canary are being mind-controlled by Roulette, but instead of stealing stuff, she's having them fight each other on pay-per-view."

Heck, the Toyman clip reminded me of that episode.

Toyman has control of the Justice League.

Superman needs to save Joker from Mongul.

Batman & Blue Beetle time-travel to stop Chronos from k-wording a younger Batman.

This is my favorite portrayal of Diana ever.   I really think it was damn near perfect.

And Susan Eisenberg has never gotten enough credit.  She's up there with Kevin Conroy for me.

Agree with you on the latter, but definitely not the former. Susan started out okay and then became amazing.

But hey, much as I enjoyed the series, truth is that the writing room was a sausage fest.

Oh absolutely. And I find it really strange that Shayera being a tomboy made her the favorite of the writing regime, whereas Diana became this kind of "what do we do with her?" character.

Look, I had a really high hopes that the guys behind Batman and Superman's fantastic animated shows would give Diana the gold star treatment. Instead they seemed to reinvent things that didn't need reinventing (her origin, sorta, though they never committed to it) and threw in things that didn't completely work (her penchant for thievery, her bristling attitude, her loathing of Shayera). Gone was the friendly Ambassador of Peace with plenty of confidence and approachability.

I think the closest they got to a really good portrayal of Diana was in The Savage Time and Maid of Honor (though her shallow partying rang false in that one).

I don't know if any of you know this, but the Cheetah was supposed to be killed off by Solomon Grundy in Injustice For All, and she only survived because the overseas animators accidentally drew her sitting in the police van. Circe had one good appearance but was hardly the powerful threat she typically is in the comics. Ares was upstaged by Hades early on, and then only made one week appearance wearing a garish outfit in the episode Hawk and Dove. Basically the only character from her comics that I think got semi-decent treatment was Hippolyta. Giganta doesn't even register as a Wonder Woman villain in the series.

All in all, I think they would have done far better with her just by adapting what was already in the comics without changing too much. We could have seen her take her armor with the consent of the Amazons in Secret Origins, and then arrive in man's world happy to help and be an emissary for her people. That alone would have put the character on a whole different trajectory.

At least the voice actress ended up being a great match for the character and they improved her character design in season two. She always looked and sounded like Wonder Woman, even if I didn't entirely care for how they developed every other aspect of her life.

Edited by DisneyBoy

Though I was hoping for Kyle or Hal, since they were the GL's I was most familiar with at the time...John grew on me.

Same. I wish we had gotten to see his family a bit, and more of him and Shayera when they were dating. But I was definitely surprised how much I liked the guy.

And while I do think they developed the John/Shayera romance nicely, I really would have been okay with him and Vixen being the long-term couple.  I really hated that "fated to be together because they had a son" stuff.  Yes, John stayed with Vixen, but it was clear she wasn't where his heart lay. She deserved better, but for some odd reason, she opted to stick it out as well.  I mean, I can be a completist about some things, but romantic relationships isn't one of them.  And let's not get into the "rivalry" sparked between Vixen and Shayera because of John.  Yeesh. 

Very well said. I'm in total agreement. Liked her immediately, but hated the show treating her like a runner-up.

Carter Hall was painfully unnecessary on the show after they did such a killer job coming up with H'ro Talak.

Edited by DisneyBoy

So I just finished rewatching JLU and I still get all ragey at "Epilogue."

At both real time Terry and the black and white one, even knowing those scenes were just in Terry's mind and didn't actually happen. Terry is such an ungrateful, revisionist history making punk. Bruce didn't manipulate any of the Robins into "the life" and as for Barbara-she donned that cape for her own reasons before joining up with BATS and per Batman Beyond, was just bitter because Bruce wouldn't give up being Batman. But the biggest LIE Terry told himself was that Bruce had anything to do with his sorry ass becoming Batman. Sure sure, it was Bruce who forced Terry to break into the mansion and bat cave so Terry could Steal the suit, right?????

And his refusal to believe that Bruce and his Batman did any good-scoffing at how he was there for Ace in the end-just to make himself look good.  Which is why I Fucking Cheered when Amanda disabused him of that notion!

And even though it was in his mind, just because he learned that his father wasn't his biological father didn't mean he wasn't his dad! Terry was a grownass man, and for him to let Bruce, who's around 95 at this point, to scrabble around for his pills and grab his chest and not help him? And walked away? ASSHOLE. He could still be angry at what he thought was Bruce's manipulation and still helped him back into his chair.

But once Amanda told him the truth (LOVE that he doesn't have Bruce's "magnificent brain"), everything is okay and he's not mad at Bruce, so now he'll help him with his meds and now is proud that he's stubborn like his "old man?" Get the fuck out of my face with that hypocrisy. Not that I was on Terry's side in any of this.

He'll always be a shadow of the real one since he relies on his suit to help him fly and get to where he needs to be. As opposed to Bruce, who is and always will be the real one because he used his mind, wits and body to get shit done.

I really have to wonder if Bruce Timm, who cowrote this episode, forgot the history and stories he was a part of in Batman Beyond?? I'm disappointed in him that he was a part of such crap-meaning this episode.

2 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Funny. I loved that episode.

I like the episode itself--the animation is wonderful, and I love how this bookends, or was supposed to bookend the end of the whole universe, according to Timm. The whole thing started with B:TAS, and all the shows, up to JLU, the first season, came full circle, back to Bats in "Epilogue." They didn't think they would get another season, and then the network said, give us 13 more. 

But it's Terry's jackassery, hypocrisy, and lying to himself, and 'wah, wah, wah' self-pitying behavior that pisses me off and always makes me ragey, like I posted above. It's no secret that I'm Batman's BITCH. A really hardcore one for Kevin Conroy's Batman. And I get so sick and tired and weary of all those that left the heroing for whatever reasons, shitting upon Bruce and blaming him for "manipulating" them into doing it.

It's not as if I don't see his flaws; I do. I vented a spleen at what an utter, uber ASSHOLE Bats was in the final season; but again, I blame the writers, because the way he acted in "Old Wounds" was a HUGE RETCON of what Bruce/Batman was from the first three seasons and how they showed him to be. But, "draaaama" and "conflict!!!" and all that nonsense.

This is actually okay. The characterization is very minimal, but the animation is better than usual for these days, the character versions are the classics, and in addition to Conroy Batman, we've even got Hamill as The Joker.

Their Lobo was pretty good too. And while it was confusing that Patton Oswalt's Space Cabbie looked just like the Jimmy Olsen we got in another story a week earlier, he did a good job too. 

Other good casting:  Already we have had Stephen Tobolowsky as Martin Stein.  But coming up per IMDB? James Woods as Lex Luthor. Tara Strong returning as Harley Quinn. Brent Spiner as The Ridler. Sean Astin as Shazam/formerly called Captain Marvel. And Michael Dorn as Green Lantern villain Atroticus. 

Episode 6 Time Share: Back in time fumbling young Batman was pretty funny. Also, the baddie, with his Parkour jokes and constantly getting Blue Beetles name wrong?  That got a few chuckles too. 

Short but sweet. A little weird to have a version that's obviously Jamie Reyes, but never see his face or hear his name, but... I still liked it.

Keep meaning to post . . . JLAction premieres today at 6 p.m. But I'm guessing you already knew that.

ETA: Not bad. Not that great, either. I'm guessing that it might grow on you, but the first impression leaves a lot to be desired. Should Kevin Conroy be doing Diedrich Bader Batman material? And can longtime fans live with a John Constantine whose name rhymes with "teen" and not "twine," and who sucks on a lollipop? There were a few good parts  . . . especially the highlight reel, where Batman clocked Booster Gold like Guy Gardner in the Eighties. And was that Dana Snyder as Plastic Man? He always brings it in cartoons (Master Shake, The Alchemist, Ruby Jean "Granny" Cuyler).

ETA2: Forgot that Billy Batson/Captain Marvel Shazam had dot eyes. Nice touch.

Kevin Conroy makes everything better!

Out of all the...episodes, my favorite line (by Bats naturally) was his "I.DON'T.CARE." Just the menacing tone that Conroy put into it gave me the shivers. The good kind of shivers.

Wonder Woman, the say she talks, well she comes off more as a kid than a, well, an adult, if that makes sense.

What I don't like: they got Charles Schlatter to play Flash and I can't STAND him. His portrayals of Flash make him sound obnoxious and smarmy (See S:TAS: "Speed Demons" and the episodes in The Batman.)

Portrayal of Jimmy Olsen. 

But, it's early days yet.