Type keyword(s) to search

Justice League - General Discussion

• Start Topic

He is just so gosh darned NICE. Definitely the most personable of the big Seven. He recommends topical creams for crying out loud, he is the all around hero. Getting bad guys back on their meds and being oblivious to flirting newswomen. I just wanted to hug him constantly.

• Love 1

The Flash as voiced by Rosenbaum is just a cutie. So sweet and honestly, why is he single? Hehe.

I love the bromance he had with Green Lantern. The van scene!

I loved their relationship as well. But honestly, I loved his relationship with Bats. Bats was such the hero that Wally looked up to, and like an older brother if you will. Remember "Flash and Substance"? I think that was the Flash appreciation day, where Bats roped Orion into attending?

I'm slammed at work, but will post the video of that scene whose dialogue I painstakingly posted at you know where that no longer exists!

• Love 1

Aww, Wally was just great with everyone. Remember how sad Justice Lord Batman was when they captured him? I like how you always knew DCAU's Batman's feelings even though he was a cartoon. Serious emoting.

This Flash is the best.

• Love 1

I'm rewatching the show, and it really holds up. There's some solid storytelling, better than many live action shows. I wish they'd bring it back.

I remember when they switched it up to Unlimited and added all the new characters. I was annoyed at first, because I love the main heroes, but it worked.

I rewatched some of it last year. It holds up really well just like B:TAS. I thought Unlimited had a number of strong episodes though I was less interested in some of the supes more than the others.

Edited the title to be All Episodes Discussion. If you want a witty addendum to it, let me or another mod know.

I find that the better episodes in Unlimited were the ones that focused on, surprise, surprise! Our original 7! I think they changed it to Unlimited to just throw out every single DC hero that they could...all with the DC's permission, of course! I'm not too keen on Unlimited, because we saw a serious, and I mean a SERIOUS lack of not only Flash, but Jon'z too.

Like I care about that joker Booster or dude with the cowboy hat, and the knight, etc.

• Love 1
(edited)

Booster Gold, Hawk, Dove and Mr. Terrific were pretty much made of fail...

I disagree (this coming from a person who didn't even know these characters from the comics and only familiar with their JL/JLU versions).  Mr. Terrific we really didn't get to know all that well sine he replaced Manhunter as team organizer and didn't have much to do onscreen.  I liked Hawk & Dove's introduction and the bar fight scene (and having them voiced by former co-stars from The Wonder Years also worked well!) but the episode itself was lousy.  I would have liked to have seen them front and center again.  I loved Booster Gold and Skeets!  Best of all their VAs consistently voiced them through two incarnations!

I will also add to the Vigilante love.  I also wish we could have seen more of him and Shining Knight working together.  They were a team in the comics and it would have been fun to have seen them do more.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

I will also add to the Vigilante love.  I also wish we could have seen more of him and Shining Knight working together.  They were a team in the comics and it would have been fun to have seen them do more.

I think therein lies the problem. With the exception of a few, we only saw Vigilante and Shining Knight like only once where they were prominently showcased. As with others, just once, so I really didn't get a sense of who they were. And I wasn't a comic book reader, so most of them were ones I'd never heard of before.

I don't think Shining Knight was prominently showcased at all.  I thought he was was of the seen but not heard characters except for a random line of dialogue by an uncredited VA in the Seven Soldiers of Victory tribute.

The plot of Hawk and Dove certainly didn't do anything to help my opinion of the characters.  It was like "hey, we've stunted casted these two guys, can you write something real quick for them to voice?"   I thought the whole peace vs. war angle in their characters was too heavy handed.

• Love 3

Yeah, I'm on episode 7 of Unlimited, and I take it back. Booster Gold!? I must have blocked these episodes out. Hawk and Dove were terrible, Booster was so annoying. I don't understand why they dropped the main heroes for this.

Love the episode with the de-aged heroes. Green Lantern and his glasses was fun.

Flash: "Don't you have any lawyers here?"

Judges: "We solved our lawyer problem a long time ago...But be aware, if you lose, you will share the same penalty as the accused!"

Flash: "The same penalty? You mean...? That's crazy!"

Judges: "No, that's how we solved our lawyer problem...what's your answer?"

Flash: "I'll defend him! But first I'd like to say a few words about...about...Habeus Corpus. That's right! Habeus Corpus! And Ipso Facto...Phi Beta Kappa..."

Me: LOLOLOL! That Flash! Just one reason why Wally's my favorite Flash! Rosenbaum was pitch perfect!

• Love 1

Kevin Conroy--Batman. I could listen to him recited the fucking phone book. He forever erased anyone else who had ever voiced him, and now whenever I read a comic or graphic novel, I hear Conroy's voice. He should be used in EVERY single movie. 

I know what you mean about Conroy. My 3 year old daughter loves super heroes, so I showed her a few Justice League unlimited episodes on netflix. She loves the one where Wonder Woman gets turned into a pig or when Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and GL get turned into kids. I have watched all of season 1 and 2 since watching it with her got me hooked. Unfortunately a lot of the episodes are a bit too intense and possibly scary so I am not sure I want her watching them. Anyways we decided to check out Batman The Brave and The Bold. While it is pretty good it is so jarring to hear batman being voiced by the  "two chicks at the same time" guy from Office Space, when the voice of Batman has been Conroy since I was 14 years old.

• Love 3

The absolute BEST arc of the series!

Just finished watching all of season 1 and 2 and the whole Cadmus arc was amazing. The amount of work they go into building it was great.  I mean so many things that showed up in Season 1 end up paying off when the Cadmus stuff goes into full swing (the Dark Heart, Galatea, the Ultimen). I mean the Annihilator first appears in episode 4 of the series then comes back in episode 18.

• Love 1

I know what you mean about Conroy. My 3 year old daughter loves super heroes, so I showed her a few Justice League unlimited episodes on netflix. She loves the one where Wonder Woman gets turned into a pig or when Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and GL get turned into kids. I have watched all of season 1 and 2 since watching it with her got me hooked. Unfortunately a lot of the episodes are a bit too intense and possibly scary so I am not sure I want her watching them. Anyways we decided to check out Batman The Brave and The Bold. While it is pretty good it is so jarring to hear batman being voiced by the  "two chicks at the same time" guy from Office Space, when the voice of Batman has been Conroy since I was 14 years old.

I have always maintained that this show was not for kids. The way they showed deaths and serious heavy material. Which, watching as an adult, I LOVED.  You're thinking of "This Little Piggy" and I LOOOOVED the opening sequence where Diana teases Bats about his brooding:

Diana: "Don't you ever wish you were down there?"

Bats: "I'm down there all I need to be."

Diana: "Yes, but it's just a job to you. I'm talking about going down there and having some fun. Maybe... maybe with someone special. No. No dating for the Batman. It  might cut into your brooding time."

Bats: "One. Dating within the team always leads to disaster. Two. You're a prince from a society of immortal warriors, I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues. And three, if my enemies knew I had someone special, they wouldn't rest until they'd gotten to me, through her."

{Diana pulverizes a stone}

Diana: "Next?"

And then There's Zatanna who says that she and Bats are just good friends and that he and Diana are something more, and he grudgingly says "Maybe" while stroking Pig!Diana. And then singing "Am I Blue?" to free her.

Episodes like this just PEEVE me off at Timm, when he failed to give me my Bats and Diana payoff!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I have always maintained that this show was not for kids. The way they showed deaths and serious heavy material. Which, watching as an adult, I LOVED.  You're thinking of "Little Miss Piggy" and I LOOOOVED the opening sequence where Diana teases Bats about his brooding:

It is totally not for kids which while great is kind of too bad. Like I said my daughter loves super heroes (she has a superman ceiling light fixture that my parents saved from when I was a kid, the thing is from the 70's). But watching through season 1 and 2 there aren't a lot of episodes that I would really be comfortable with her watching. I mean it seems that in a lot of them there is either someone getting shot or killed, or some scary looking robot or alien. Weird stuff gives her nightmares so I am very reluctant to show her too many more. Batman brave and the bold will have to do for now, even if Batman's voice is kind of annoying.

She thought that the pig one was hilarious, what with wonder woman turning into a pig, then Zatanna showing up (she calls her the magician and thinks she is cool) and then Batman having to sing a sad song at the end. I need to start watching Batman TAS to see if there are any light hearted kid friendly episodes (she has seen the Zatanna one and the one where the two kids rescue Batman from the Penguin.

• Love 1

She thought that the pig one was hilarious, what with wonder woman turning into a pig, then Zatanna showing up (she calls her the magician and thinks she is cool) and then Batman having to sing a sad song at the end. I need to start watching Batman TAS to see if there are any light hearted kid friendly episodes (she has seen the Zatanna one and the one where the two kids rescue Batman from the Penguin.

And that was Conroy actually singing it!

B:TAS is not as dark and I would say is kid-friendly And Adult friendly.  At least the first three seasons are, with a sprinkle of too adult, like "Robin's Reckoning" where you "see" Dick Grayson's parents murdered. The ominous music, with the swinging broken trapeze, and gasps of shock and horror. 

• Love 1

I saw a compilation once of all the times Superman got knocked out in the first season. It was kind of pathetic. But let's be fair. Having the most powerful man in the world on the team makes you wonder what he needs the rest of the team for. Which is why they basically switched from him getting knocked out constantly to him hardly ever being there.

I have started watching the regular JL series (after watching the first 2 seasons of JLA). I have only watched the first 3 storylines (just finished the Aquaman one last night) and it is almost funny how any time superman gets hit by a laser blast or a punch or just about anything he gets knocked on his ass, and has to take time getting up. I am also surprised to see how often he doesn't use his heat vision. I mean in the aquaman ep and the Secret Origins one he gets captured and his hands get bound.  All I can think of was "dude, you can make lasers come from your eyes, not to mention ice cold winds come from your mouth, why is your hands being tied such a big issue".

Bruce Timm has admitted/taken the blame for making Supes so weak in the first season of JL. Because, as you say, he's the strongest one, but at the same time, he didn't want Supes to be winning for the league all by himself or something. I'll have to go back to the interview to see what he said exactly.  That's why he's stronger in the second season, and even in that episode, where GL turns into a drill sergeant, saying they need to practice to beat the League of Doom, Supes, gets angry and says he only needed to use his finger or something and didn't need the practice. And that he was...holding back or something.

Of course that was Grodd, using some mind control thingie to make all the grievances come out, even if that was how they all thought. Supes does uses his heat vision in JLA, if I'm not mistaken, when he has that slugfest with Darkseid.

• Love 1

And that he was...holding back or something.

You might be thinking of the 'cardboard' line from Destroyer:

I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard. Always taking constant care not to break something. To break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control, even for a moment, or someone could die.

• Love 1

I've been rewatching the series, and it was the Secret Society episode where Superman is arguing with GL, Flash, and Hawkgirl about trusting his teammates after single-handedly taking out the "foe." He says that since he's the invulnerable one, every punch he takes is a punch they don't have to.

My biggest problem with Superman, and it wasn't just in the Justice League series but his own animated series, was that his powers seemed so plot-driven.  Yes, it was worse in JL S1, but I've been binge-watching the DCAU, and it drives me crazy.  And no, the explanation in Destroyer doesn't really justify the inconsistencies for me (especially since, at the beginning of season two, it was heavily implied that Superman meant to finish Darkseid off before Batman forced him through the boom tube).  You can tell the DCAU crew were bigger Batman fans. I love Batman, truly, but I kind of understand some of the complaints that TPTB often propped Batman up at the expense of Superman. 

That said, I thought it was interesting that, in light of how S:TAS ended, he was more arrogant in the JL series.  It makes some sense, but then again, not really, especially after the humiliating experience that was Darkseid's brain-washing at the end of the last season. I would think he would have been more humble after that.  Though I can fanwank that the increased arrogance/intensity was brain-washing residue, and he was never really the same again. 

I believe some of the backlash against Man of Steel was that Superman wasn't supposed to be "dark" ala Batman.  I never had a problem with it, and it's possible that, because I enjoyed the JL series so much, and saw how Superman was characterized, it wasn't some crime against humanity that he was more serious.  Frankly, I think that characterization is as realistic, if not more so, than the lightness and boy scouty earnestness, almost naïveté, that was the Reeve movies.  I guess that's fine when he's just starting out as an adult.  But after battling all manner of villains for years, I'm okay if he's not all "Golly gee, I fight for truth, justice, and the American way!"

• Love 1

Frankly, I think that characterization is as realistic, if not more so, than the lightness and boy scouty earnestness, almost naïveté, that was the Reeve movies.  I guess that's fine when he's just starting out as an adult.  But after battling all manner of villains for years, I'm okay if he's not all "Golly gee, I fight for truth, justice, and the American way!"

And this is clearly demonstrated in "Clash" I think it was? Where you had Captain Marvel as the one doing the "Golly Gee, if Lex can change, then it's all good!" and showing how much more cynical Supes was; down to where both of them had a drag down fight destroying the park/buildings.  Sure, it turned out that Lex had set Supes up...but I can't blame Supes for being more disillusioned/cynical by the time Justice League rolled around.

Does that make sense?

Of course, personally, I didn't and don't mind that  Bats got "propped" more or looked better,  because well, hey, just look at my avatar, hee!

• Love 1

Hee! I love Batman as well! Since I didn't watch S:TAS during its original run, I developed a greater appreciation for Superman when I recently watched the series.  Before I watched his series, I disagreed with some of the complaints.  Watching his series, and then his characterization during JL was enlightening.  I've been a fan of B:TAS for so long, having watched it from the original airing in the 90s, I'll always probably prefer Batman. I do love their friendship, though. Superman impersonating Batman in Knight Time will always be hilarious.

I just watched Hereafter where Superman was presumed dead, and Batman told him at his grave that he taught him that fighting for justice didn't always come from darkness.  Similarly, I think Batman rubbed off on Superman - that darkness doesn't necessarily equal nefarious.        

Also, Superman with a beard is HOT. 

Anyway, I agree with you about Clash.  Superman had dealt with Lex and his shenanigans for years, and here comes Captain Marvel with his "benefit of the doubt" and obliviousness to Lex's history. Now I do think Superman was also a smidge jealous, but hey, he's only "human," heh.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

I never understood Batman's reluctance to join the JL as he wasn't "a people person," yet he seemed fine with teaming up with a bunch of kids to risk their lives and fight crime with him in Gotham City.  I guess kids are easier to mold and train? The writers kind of lost me on this point.     

Hawk Girl could annoy me, but in some ways, I preferred her to Diana.  They were both warriors, but the show didn't write her as naive the way they did with Diana.  Which was interesting, because she was even more alien than Diana was.  Shame that they made her a traitor, and Diana so strident.  I would have liked to see more of a friendship between the two. 

• Love 1

I feel like I should have LOVED Diana, as I appreciated that she was fearless and, in a fight, was usually the one kicking the most ass and taking names. But then they wrote Diana as naive at times, and it just annoyed me.  There were at least two instances when Batman came to her with information, and her immediate response was akin to "That's impossible, nothing like that would happen."  I gave her a pass for strident disbelief to Batman's suspicions in (ETA: episodes were Fury, main villain's name was Aresia), dumb as it was, because the villain was mostly raised Amazonian, and Diana grew up with her.  It really annoyed me in Maid of Honor because she knew the princess all of a day or two, and when Bruce shared his suspicions about the Kasnian government and its officials, she immediately got defensive.  I'm thinking, "Um...I think Batman has more than proven he doesn't just come to conclusions willy nilly, and deserves the benefit of the doubt more than some people you don't even know." 

And I don't know what asking the princess about it directly would do.  True, she and her father had nothing to do with Vandal Savage's plan.  But even if they were involved, did she really expect her to confess simply because she asked? Really, Diana?  I don't know why they had to make her somewhat child-like in that regard. It ultimately detracted from what could have been a truly awesome character.  Plus, I would have really liked to see more of the friendship explored between her and Shayera.  But hey, much as I enjoyed the series, truth is that the writing room was a sausage fest.        

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

He is just so gosh darned NICE. Definitely the most personable of the big Seven. He recommends topical creams for crying out loud, he is the all around hero. Getting bad guys back on their meds and being oblivious to flirting newswomen.

Which was interesting because he was a notorious flirt in the first two seasons.  Anyway, he was loveable, and kudos to Rosenbaum, who balanced comedic timing (which did border on immature at times) and how big Wally's heart was.  

My favorite Wally episodes were 4.11 and 4.12.   I preferred his friendship to GL, just because John's reactions were often hilarious.    

• Love 1

Yeah, it's a shame John Stewart didn't get more kudos.  In the few places I read fans' thought, it was common to read "I prefer Hal Jordan/Kyle Radner." I thought the writers did a good job showing John's struggle with his humanity and roots, and his tremendous sense of personal responsibility.  I also liked that the ring didn't define him - he'd still go for the jugular if he couldn't use it. Maybe I could have enjoyed the Green Lantern animated films if he was the feature. As it was, I couldn't get through them.

This series more or less ignored race, but I did like John's reaction in the Legends episode when one of the old-school heroes says something like, "You're a credit to your people."  

And while I do think they developed the John/Shayera romance nicely, I really would have been okay with him and Vixen being the long-term couple.  I really hated that "fated to be together because they had a son" stuff.  Yes, John stayed with Vixen, but it was clear she wasn't where his heart lay. She deserved better, but for some odd reason, she opted to stick it out as well.  I mean, I can be a completist about some things, but romantic relationships isn't one of them.  And let's not get into the "rivalry" sparked between Vixen and Shayera because of John.  Yeesh. 

• Love 1

Which was interesting, because she was even more alien than Diana was.

I really liked how she schooled Diana in the Fury episode with Aresia about the logical conclusion to the Amazons view of men.  It was really on point, and I would like to think it forced Diana to think about that in a way she was probably avoiding. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Hawk Girl could annoy me, but in some ways, I preferred her to Diana.  They were both warriors, but the show didn't write her as naive the way they did with Diana.  Which was interesting, because she was even more alien than Diana was.  Shame that they made her a traitor, and Diana so strident.  I would have liked to see more of a friendship between the two. 

Hawk Girl had one of the best character arcs on this show. Her people invade, she naturally sides with them, feels conflicted because of her friends/lover, does the right thing, but also takes time off. She returns in an altered outfit and things aren't great, but most of the main team grudgingly accept her over time again.

She annoyed me at times too, but her characterization was very well written. Most female live action characters don't get the kind of storyline that she does. I think this is why she was more interesting than Diana. I like Diana too but her storylines and episodes weren't as interesting to me with the exceptions of when she interacted with Batman.

I had to watch the trailer twice to check if Superman was indeed the guy in the black coat. I'm still not sure.

I love Timm's work, but I am tired of this attempt to turn Superman into a dark moody anti-hero type character. I am tired of the anti-hero full stop. Yes I know there are other incarnations of Superman where he goes awry, but still, I am tired. There is this constant insinuation and deriding that the classic hero is not good enough anymore, that Superman is not "interesting" enough. And I just don't agree with that. Plus I see as Superman is pushed further into anti-hero territory, Batman who is the natural anti-hero, must go even further into the dark abyss to balance this out.

Having said all that, I will still watch! And probably enjoy, as Timm's work is always good, and I am a completist when it comes to DC video movies.

• Love 2

A Batman that is not Bruce Wayne/KevinFucking!Conroy?

Even though I love Timm?

I dunno...

Not that I'm biased or anything...

Recently, I watched Throne of Atlantis.  It really did feel off when Kevin Conroy doesn't voice Batman or when Susan Eisenberg doesn't voice Wonder Woman. 

Enough of the Superman/Wonder Woman shipping.  There were hints of it in the Lego movie.  It was in Throne of Atlantis.  The Lois Lane/Clark Kent/Diana Prince scene was a little uncomfortable.  I don't know what's happening in the New 52, but I would hate some unnecessary angst/tension between these three characters. 

I will admit that I am a hardcore Wonder Woman/Batman shipper, and normally, I hate shipping.

I love Timm's work, but I am tired of this attempt to turn Superman into a dark moody anti-hero type character. I am tired of the anti-hero full stop. Yes I know there are other incarnations of Superman where he goes awry, but still, I am tired. There is this constant insinuation and deriding that the classic hero is not good enough anymore, that Superman is not "interesting" enough.

I go back and forth with Superman.  When I first watched Man of Steel, I really liked it.  Then, I grew to dislike it.  I had no idea what the writers/producers were trying to do with Superman.  Some moral grey area?  No idea, which was distracting.  I kept thinking that the showrunners and writers wanted Superman to be more like Batman.

I also have a problem with Superman being de-powered in the cartoons.  I believe that Timm admitted it when he was interviewed for the Justice League DVDs. 

Re: Gods and Monsters.  I don't like dark and edgy.  I have no interest in Batman Beyond or the recent Suicide Squad (Batman: Assault on Arkham) direct video.  In a dark, edgy universe, everybody has to be dark and edgy, including Superman, I guess. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the reminder.  I do remember that scene.  There was also tension between the Justice League members in Secret Society, esp. when Superman admitted that he takes the hit so nobody else has to experience it.

Sometimes, I think that Superman is still being de-powered.  I get that Superman restrains himself because he is incredibly powerful, but he still seemed de-powered in Throne of Atlantis.  I have to wave it off as Superman is vulnerable to magic. 

I'll have to re-watch Doom, one of the best DC direct videos, to remember if Superman is de-powered. 

Flash: I had to go, ok? There are just somethings I can't do in the blink of an eye

--2x11 A Better World

I just found a file of my collected quotes of this show when I did my rewatch a couple years back. Most of it was Flash quotes that I think I used in the other thread.

• Love 1

Flash: I had to go, ok? There are just somethings I can't do in the blink of an eye

--2x11 A Better World

I just found a file of my collected quotes of this show when I did my rewatch a couple years back. Most of it was Flash quotes that I think I used in the other thread.

I think Flash and Bats had the best lines in this show.

• Love 1