Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

LSSC: Season Five Episode Talk

Stephen and John are my everything right now. They are showing they feel much the same way I am feeling, and also the weirdness of connecting with people online - I'm setting up video chats with family who live hundreds of miles away and 12 blocks away - it's...surreal. And John talking about his team talking him through it...well. I'm usually in the 'team' role, but I GET IT!!!!

• Like 8

I'm loving their conversation. I loved them exchanging stories about their worst experiences in front of crowds. Poor John, with that standup crowd. And the way he laughed when Stephen told him about trying to read Ulysses to that crowd in Ireland was adorable :D. 

I also loved their more serious discussion about the issue of sacrifice, and how people are (and aren't) responding to the whole concept. Now I've got my tax refund and the upcoming stimulus check coming in and whatnot, I'm definitely going to donate some money to some organizations benefiting all those who need help. 

• Like 6

When I was watching yesterday's episode I got the monologue just fine then when Stephen said "and now an interview with John Oliver". It suddenly went to multi-colored bars (like the test one) and flashes of him still saying the last sentence.  I tried changing channels and all other channels were working just fine. So It was just CBS. Did anyone else have this problem? I ended up giving up after 5 minutes so maybe it fixed itself.

edit: Thank you youtube, the episode is on there in parts :).

Edited by blueray
  • Like 1

John Oliver's video jittered a few times but otherwise, no problem.

I howled at "Who wants to celebrate Irish culture?"

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

My dad listened to John Prine all the time and that duet warmed my heart.   Daniel Radcliffe is such a geek in all the right ways.    And I don't know why it made me giggle when Stephen asked his son if he'd done that lego and so Stephen's son asked if it was new so Stephen asked Daniel who asked his girlfriend.   The little game of telephone they had going was just so pure.

• Like 8

That duet was lovely indeed :).

And Radcliffe seems like such a sweetheart. I love how he just rolled with all the technical difficulties. 

Also, I learned the backstory on that "Just Dropped in..." song, so thanks for that, Stephen!

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 7

That was a good episode. I wonder if the tech issues were set up or not. Either way it was entertaining. The lego thing was impressive and must have took a long time.

• Like 3

About the duet: I loved how Stephen said "We'll probably do this for the internet, unless something terrible happens and we have to cheer up the world on the TV show." 

How did he know?

• Like 7
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 5

A. Freaking. Men to Stephen's comments about how everyone should hold a job in the service industry at some point in order to learn how to be kind to others. I have been saying that for years, that if I ran the world, I would require everyone to do at least one year in a customer service job of some kind. 

I also appreciated Ryan's comments about how working in the service industry prepared him for working in Hollywood. I think that makes a lot of sense. 

I've really been enjoying the interviews this week. Lots of good, thoughtful conversations going on here. 

ETA: OMFG, STEPHEN SERIOUSLY AUDITIONED TO PLAY SCREECH ON "SAVED BY THE BELL"?!?!

Ahahahahahahahaha, that is fantastic XD. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 9

Thank you, Stephen, for making me laugh about your dog delivering messages to your neighbors on their lawns in about 20 minutes.
My funny bone always seems to fall for the "Rule of 3" --in this case: 3 ham slices LOL

Ryan Reynolds, Daniel Radcliffe, John Oliver. . . clearly to appear on A Late Show you have to be one of the good guys.
Looks like tomorrow is Alicia Keys and Nancy Pelosi, who I expect will both "tell it like it is," and at least AK will be doing some awesome charity work (I don't think politicians currently in office can do that).

• Like 4

Maybe it's because I too am on day 20 of self-quarantine and the oxygen is growing scarce in my home, but I was literally crying from laughing at Stephen's monologue. Cuomo's possible nipple piercings and the guy with the animal print thong facemask ("what's coronavirus?") were just what I needed.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

3 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Maybe it's because I too am on day 20 of self-quarantine and the oxygen is growing scarce in my home, but I was literally crying from laughing at Stephen's monologue. Cuomo's possible nipple piercings and the guy with the animal print thong facemask ("what's coronavirus?") were just what I needed.

This show is the first I'd heard of that story about Cuomo and the nipple piercings. On the one hand, agreed that Stephen's take on it was hilarious. On the other hand, that's information I could've probably gone the rest of my life without knowing :p.

I also laughed at Stephen's comment about Florida "suffering a raging case of being Florida". 

• Like 5

Maybe isolation is getting to me, but I've actually enjoyed these shows more than the regular ones, and I enjoy those a lot. Usually I tune out after my favorite parts--the monologue and first desk bit--but this week I've watched to the end. I like the one-guest format and the set-up makes the interviews feel more intimate, which is weird considering they're not in the same room.

ETA: I already knew the origin of quarantine and I remember Eddie Shack well.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 6

I've been a Colbert fan since TDS and was a faithful viewer of TCR. While I occasionally watch LSSC, the format and the interviews don't really work for me as much so I watch it less. I am enjoying these at home shows much more. I feel like Stephen has found the groove without an audience. It feels more sincere and real in some ways even though he still has access to his writers. The interviews are more candid too; the Oliver and Radcliffe ones felt like he was just calling some friends. Overall, it is different vibe though which I really like.

• Like 11

Alicia Keys has beautiful teeth! They match the rest of her - I think she's gorgeous. I didn't care for the song she performed though. I am wondering how crazy she is - putting her cell number out there to invite the public to call or text her! It looked like Stephen wrote it down, as did I, but I don't plan to actually use it.

When Stephen asked her how to meditate and she explained in detail, he did not look into it at all, more like he was stifling laughing. If he doesn't buy into it, don't go through the motions asking a guest to teach you how to do it...just move on to another subject. 

• Like 2

I appreciate the effort of doing A Late Show. I like Stephen's more relaxed delivery and the references to his family, which is now his crew. And, of course, the appearances of his endearingly undisciplined dog! When the quarantine is over, Stephen should have Cesar Millan as a guest. I'd like to see him and that dog spend some quality time together!

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, Katmai said:

Alicia Keys has beautiful teeth! They match the rest of her - I think she's gorgeous. I didn't care for the song she performed though…

OTOH, I loved Alicia Keys‘ song —mostly because it was just so her and so relatable. Plus she always reminds me of my niece, LOL —inside and out. 

• Like 2

I think these shows are working for Stephen partly because he started with people who would roll with it, and partly for the longer conversations. I love Stephen and I always watch his show, but I think he's a terrible interviewer. He doesn't let conversations flow naturally; he's always making awkward segues back to what's on his cards. He's not doing that this week, so that's great (with John Oliver, it helped that they're good friends and that John Oliver is John Oliver). 

• Like 1

I think it helps that the guests aren't really there to promote anything. He's not obligated to talk about their movie or whatever it is.

• Like 2

I love Stephen and I always watch his show, but I think he's a terrible interviewer. He doesn't let conversations flow naturally; he's always making awkward segues back to what's on his cards. He's not doing that this week, so that's great

These at-home episodes of the show the only ones in which I consistently bother to watch the interviews past the first couple minutes.  It's ironic that, with rare and lovely exceptions,  Stephen just can't seem to drop the schtick during interviews.  Back when Stephen was still doing TCR, I read or saw some interview somewhere in which he said that one of his frustrations on TCR was that he had to stay in character during the interviews even when he had really interesting guests that he just yearned to have a real conversation with.  Well Stephen, you are into Season Five of your new gig now.  You don't have to stay "in character" any more.  Just sayin' ...