Type keyword(s) to search

On Becoming a God in Central Florida In the Media

• Start Topic

A water park employee infiltrates a multi-billion dollar pyramid scheme based company: Founders American Merchandise (FAM)where she exercises revenge after they scammed her family.

Premiers August 25 on Showtime.  Apparently the pilot is available for streaming.

Variety has a positive review, probably more to come next week.

I know they're playing all of the pyramid scheme stuff as funny, but I find the cult like atmosphere with the weird acronyms/vocabulary, the insistence that people devote themselves to the system, the excessive financial commitment, etc to be SO FUCKING CREEPY. I hate that it preys on people like Travis who are desperate enough to believe that this is what will make their dreams come true.

It's clear that people like Cody are true believers (his excitement at seeing Obie in person was ridiculous), but it's sad to see someone like Travis spend so much of his time and money trying to make this happen, especially at the expense of his health. When you are doing things like not paying your insurance premiums because you need to buy more tapes and seminars, you are not making good choices. Expenses like this should be optional things AFTER you pay your bills. Paying $300 for another cult event when you should be using that money to pay your credit card bills is a terrible idea.

I also hated how Cody and Travis were pressuring Krystal to get her boss to carry Fam products at the water park. They're lucky that Ernie is such a nice guy. Stan's reaction was totally appropriate.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

No surprise that Buzz is a skeevy jerk who uses his business to get hand jobs from local girls. And OF COURSE he's a vindictive asshole.

I love that Rhonda the repo lady came back to bring Krystal some condolence booze. I already liked her in the previous episode when she at least tried to give the appearance that she was buying stuff at the garage sale instead of repossessing it.

Man, Travis was in even deeper than we were shown in the first episode. He took out TWO mortgages on the house and then didn't make the payments for several months? Seriously, what kind of fucked up priorities do you have when you're risking your house being foreclosed so that you can attend seminars?

• Love 2

Variety Review

"There’s something uniquely satisfying about watching Kirsten Dunst snarl. Dunst and her on-screen personae appear to relish the opportunity to take advantage of people’s tendency to underestimate them; when a Dunst character taps into her latent anger, the actor brings it to the boiling surface with startling ferocity. Her otherwise cherubic face breaks into a downright ugly fury that’s as shocking to witness as it is vicariously cathartic. It’s a powerful weapon when deployed right — and Dunst has hardly had a firmer grasp on it than she does in “On Becoming a God in Central Florida” (for which she also serves as executive producer)."onbecomingagod_102_0800_r.jpg?w=1000&h=5

• Love 2

This is the best show on TV right now for my tastes.  It's an awesome storyline and the cast is impeccable across the board.  Although Kirsten Dunst carries it like no one else could and also Théodore Pellerin.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nomination!

Kirsten Dunst: Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy

The whole show is impeccably cast, IMO, including Kirsten as the lead.  Glad to see she's getting some recognition.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nomination!

Kirsten Dunst: Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy

She received the Critics Choice nomination as well. Good for her. Sorry the show and the rest of the cast was left out but still it's nice. 

On 10/8/2020 at 2:26 PM, kathe5133 said:

No!  That's too bad.  I really enjoyed that show.  Well, it was entertaining and well done.  Perhaps someone else will pick it up?  We can hope.

I just found out about this. I liked the show and was happy we were getting a Season 2. I'm not surprised though but it still sucks. I don't think anyone else would pick it up though ut would be cool.  To be fair they did wrap things up in S1 for the most part. Still I hate seeing it won't be back. 

• Love 1