Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
FozzyBear

Line Items: West Wing Quotes

On 8/14/2017 at 10:05 AM, AriAu said:

There really is a West Wing quote for just about everything

Leo McGarry: Oh, well then you're just as stupid as these guys who think that capital punishment is going to be a deterrent for drug kingpins. As if drug kingpins didn't live their day-to-day lives under the possibility of execution. And their executions are a lot less dainty than ours, and tend to take place without the bother and expense of due process. 

• Like 8

Another totally random quote, from Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics:

Bartlet - It's nice when we can do something for prostitutes once in a while, isn't it?

Also, this one from Manchester II:

Tony - Cause if it's all day at the beach, any bozo with a handshake can do it.

That one was not quite as random, as the person who played Bozo the Clown died today.  There really is a West Wing quote for anything.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Like 1

I have a toothache which made me think: 

C.J. I have a dentist appointment at noon.

SAM What's wrong?

C.J. Nothing's wrong.

SAM C.J.?

C.J. I'm experiencing some pain.

SAM For how long?

C.J. About a month now, but it'll go away by itself.

SAM When?

C.J. When I die, Sam. 

I love the way AJ hits that last line. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2018 at 5:37 PM, SingleMaltBlonde said:

Leo McGarry: Oh, well then you're just as stupid as these guys who think that capital punishment is going to be a deterrent for drug kingpins. As if drug kingpins didn't live their day-to-day lives under the possibility of execution. And their executions are a lot less dainty than ours, and tend to take place without the bother and expense of due process. 

That bit is from A Proportional Response, and continues a bit further:

So my friend, if you want to start using American military strength as the arm of the Lord, you can do that, we're the only superpower left. You can conquer the world, like Charlemagne, but you better be prepared to kill everyone and you better start with me cause I will raise up an army against you and I will beat you!

• Like 4

From Tomorrow:

CJ - Nine-thirty tomorrow morning, Dulles to LAX, non-stop.  Glass of merlot, three bags of peanuts, and an Ambien.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

From Tomorrow:

CJ - Nine-thirty tomorrow morning, Dulles to LAX, non-stop.  Glass of merlot, three bags of peanuts, and an Ambien.

That's perfect.  Well done!

• Like 1

From Night Five:

Josh - Leo likes to show people the soot stains on the North Portico.

Leo - From when the Canadians torched the place.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is quotes or media...but it got me this morning.  One of the players on the Washington Capitals was interviewed after winning the Stanley cup about his dad, who has Alzheimer's and this was a response tweet:

"listen if you didn't cry about TJ Oshie and his dad tonight, then god, Jed, I don't even want to know you" - 

Meredith B. Kile@em_bee_kay

The interview had me in tears...the quote pushed me over the edge.

• Like 5

On 08/06/2018 at 5:15 AM, Moose135 said:

Actually, Leo correctly attributed the fire to the British in the episode.

http://westwingtranscripts.com/search.php?flag=getTranscript&id=58&keyword=british torched#thequery

That's another great thing about TWW, I never realised we burnt down the White House!

We were never taught that in our History lessons back in High School: I always thought after we got our arses kicked in 1776, we (the UK) left you to it

6 hours ago, Zola said:

We were never taught that in our History lessons back in High School: I always thought after we got our arses kicked in 1776, we (the UK) left you to it

As Leo told Lord Marbury: We opened up a big can of whoopass on you at Yorktown!

• Like 3

On 11/21/2017 at 4:39 PM, Driad said:

C.J. Cregg: They sent me two turkeys. The more photo-friendly of the two gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a children's zoo. The runner-up gets eaten.
President Josiah Bartlet: If the Oscars were like that, I'd watch.

With the news about the Oscars, it seemed appropriate to repost this.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Driad said:

With the news about the Oscars, it seemed appropriate to repost this.

The unpardoned turkey will now win the "Most Popular" award.

• Like 4

From The Stormy Present:  

Josh - One of may law school classmates published an article on the constitutionality of Lincoln's order.  

Marilou - Akhil Amar.  You went to Yale?  

Josh - Well, Yale's close to home.  

Marilou - You're from Connecticut?

Josh - Go Whalers.  

Because, somewhat amazingly to me, Akhil Amar is a real person.  In fact, he is currently testifying before the Senate Judiciary committee.  

• Like 2

So, as I hear the recent news reports about the going ons at THIS White House, my first thought is this from Leo

"We've got separation of powers, checks and balances, and Margaret, vetoing things and sending them back to the hill."

Edited to add-"I've got his signature down pretty good"

Edited by AriAu
  • Like 5

What was it Sam said to those two guys, Joyce and Brookline, who sent that nasty anonymous note with the dead flowers to Ainsley? Something like, “Hey, guys, when I write something, I sign my name to it.”

• Like 4

From Dead Irish Writers:

Sam -  Senator, this isn't a duck hunter with a gripe in my office. It's Dalton Millgate. Now who's blocking the damn Supercollider? 

Enlow - To guess would compromise the spirit of the anonymous hold.

Sam - To tell me would compromise the spirit of autocratic obstructionism. 

• Like 1

From Take This Sabbath Day:

Cavanaugh -  Jed, would you like me to hear your confession?  

Bartlet - Yes, please.  Bless me, Father, for I have sinned...

Edited by PeterPirate

From Gone Quiet:

Oliver Babish - Truth isn't a luxury. You're gonna go in there, you're gonna swear an oath. You're gonna get asked questions, you're gonna tell the truth. It's the way you stand up and say "STOP!"

• Like 4

From Five Votes Down:

Hoynes - When was the last time you went to a meeting?
Leo - A.A.? What meeting could I possibly go to?
Hoynes - Mine.
Leo - John, tell me you are not showing your face. 
Hoynes - Leo, I have got my own meeting. Every week. The downstairs office here at the O.E.O.B. at 11 p.m. There are nine of us: three senators, two cabinet secretaries, one federal judge and two agency directors. There's an agent outside, the whole thing looks like a card game.

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2014 at 4:18 PM, BizBuzz said:

You are not weird, unless I am too.

For me, The West Wing is actually two different series.  Season 1-4 is one series, and then Season 5-7 is another series.  When I look at them that way, I can equally like both showrunners.  Both had their high points.

I just watched What Kind of Day Has it Been? today.  I can never NOT laugh:

JOSH:  I apologize.

LEO:  Your apology's accepted. (Leo sort of reaches out and Josh moves in for a hug)

LEO:  What are you doing?

JOSH:  It looked like you wanted to hug me.

LEO:  Oh, man, did you read that wrong.

This is seriously how I’m going to think of it!  Now I think I can give 5-7 another shot.

• Like 2

As election day approaches and early voting is going on...remember the immortal words of Will Bailey

I like the sentiment, but the thing is I think it does matter who you vote
for. What if
it said, "No matter who you vote for, make sure you vote."

• Like 3

Hoping all the candidates have prepared two speeches.  Except, of course, candidates who really deserve the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing. Link.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Driad said:

...the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing.

I've always loved that line, and have found a way to use it on occasion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I've always loved that line, and have found a way to use it on occasion.

Me, too, and usually no one gets it.  I also try to work in “they come with hats” when I can.  

• Like 1

Very excited about my Pre-Thanksgiving tradition of watching Shibboleth and having Charlie say "Okay, Mr. President. I say this with all possible respect, but each of these knives cuts, you know, meat." (with emphasis on the word meat) and then the classic Jed  "to whom" part and then having it start to get dusty with " Charlie, my father gave this to me, and his father gave it to him, and now I'm giving it to you." followed by the absolute look of awe/admiration/affection from both on  the "....by a Boston silversmith named Paul Revere...."

Classic, just classic writing and part of my holiday, right up there with watching "The Pinedale Shopping Center has been bombed by live turkeys...film at 11",  but that is for another foum

Edited by AriAu
  • Like 4

From Enemies Foreign and Domestic:

Toby - If the Enquirer asked us, we'd credential them. Making sure the Enquirer can write whatever it wants is the only way I can be sure the New York Times is writing whatever it wants.

• Like 5

On 11/20/2018 at 3:49 PM, AriAu said:

Very excited about my Pre-Thanksgiving tradition of watching Shibboleth and having Charlie say "Okay, Mr. President. I say this with all possible respect, but each of these knives cuts, you know, meat." (with emphasis on the word meat) and then the classic Jed  "to whom" part and then having it start to get dusty with " Charlie, my father gave this to me, and his father gave it to him, and now I'm giving it to you." followed by the absolute look of awe/admiration/affection from both on  the "....by a Boston silversmith named Paul Revere...."

Classic, just classic writing and part of my holiday, right up there with watching "The Pinedale Shopping Center has been bombed by live turkeys...film at 11",  but that is for another foum

Holy cow, were you outside my house?  That's exactly what we did!  As God is my witness....

Morton, I can't pardon a turkey. If you think I can pardon a turkey, then go back to your school and insist to be better prepared to go out in the world.

You can't pardon a turkey?

No.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 12:07 AM, deaja said:

I love Mrs. Landingham.

Ditto. With all my heart and soul.

Leo:  He's a klutz! The president's a geek.

Mrs. L:  You know how l feel about that kind of talk.

Leo:  l apologize.

Mrs. L:  Just in this room, is all l'm asking.

• Like 3

Customize font-size